Home

OZ

Posted By: StreetNeapolitan1718

OZ - 06/30/12 10:24 AM

I Got a question. is there really Cell blocks or Units in real Prisons where you got Glass pods as a Cell and are allowed to where Street clothes ?
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: OZ - 07/01/12 12:08 AM

While there are pretty hi-tech cell designs available these days, to my knowledge the 'pods' were a literary device. And you'll notice that while most characters 'customise' their outfits, they all wear the same prison issue pants and shirts.

Writer and show creator Tom Fontana (who, by the way, is of Sicilian descent) set out to create a hyper-realistic show; that is, an exaggeration of the worst aspects of prison culture. He set out to include as many criminal subculture's prevelant in the North East of the US from the early 90's to early 2000's as possible, and created the concept of Emerald City to allow the interaction. This sort of thing is actually pretty rare in prisons (for example, officials would not intentionally throw members of rival gangs into the same divicion, or put Aryan's in with black dudes, etc)

Nothing for nothing, but if you search the archives, there's a couple threads on the show floating around.
Posted By: Scorsese

Re: OZ - 07/01/12 11:16 AM

This is a great show. All the seasons are up on youtube. My favourite characters were adebisi and schillinger. I like the politics between the gangs especially when it came to drug trafficking, whenever they try to work together it was always destined to end with them killing eachother. I doubt they would allow inmates to live in glass pods in real life. Too easy to smash and stab someone with.
Posted By: B_A_

Re: OZ - 07/02/12 07:52 AM

At the time I saw it I was overwhelmed and impressed by the brutality and the realism. I never saw anything like that on TV.
Posted By: jace

Re: OZ - 07/22/12 05:14 AM

Aryan Nation gangs are more of a texas and Southwestern United States phenomenon, since show was set in Northeast that part was unrealistic. The NOI portrayed as peaceful inmates was also unrealistic, my brother is corrections officer, he said they are as bad if not worse than any other gang.

Re: OZ - 07/24/12 09:04 AM

gang profiles

Re: OZ - 07/24/12 09:06 AM

Re: OZ - 07/24/12 09:07 AM

Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: OZ - 08/04/12 08:15 AM

Very good show. You can spot lots of actors that went on to play parts in The Sopranos, The Wire, Dexter, etc.
Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

Re: OZ - 10/05/12 01:41 PM

This was a landmark show. Thanks to OZ cable tv saw the potential in scripting more real shows than their mainstream tv counterparts. Bravo to OZ and the all of the actors that took a chance and succeeded as a result.
Posted By: Big Alex

Re: OZ - 10/06/12 10:21 PM

Aryan Nation began in California, 1960s. The San Diego Reader did a great story on them back in the 1980s; well worth reading if ya can yer hands on a copy.
Posted By: Big Alex

Re: OZ - 10/06/12 10:29 PM

All prisoners wear issued garments. States-- often scrubs or jump suit & hope that you're in a facility that issues underwear. Shoes are always open toed to prevent kicking. Size is by what ya get. Wadda think why all those black kids wear their pants down around their crotches, they're aping their Fathers & big brothers.

State pens are filthy, easy to see why guys would lose weight there. Only eat when ya have to. There is trash from years ago everywhere.

Feds-- Khaki shirt & pants. Federal facilities are spotless.
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: OZ - 10/24/12 08:48 PM

i bougth the series a while ago, i am currently watching season 2. man... some pretty heavy scenes
Posted By: DonMega

Re: OZ - 01/20/13 06:04 PM

one of my alltime faves smile great charaters
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET