Home

Black gangster films

Posted By: getthesenets

Black gangster films - 09/29/10 06:16 AM

didn't see a thread about this entry in the "ethnic organized crime" discussions.

OK.. Let's list the more well known Hollywood treatments.....

NEW JACK CITY

HOODLUM

AMERICAN GANGSTER

BLACK CAESAR

I never grouped most of the films from the early 70s era as real gangster movies because most of them were just cheaply and roughly produced..the so called blaxploitation era. Have been able to find some diamonds in the rough from that era and discovered some decent films(for dirt cheap).

Oddly enough, after Boyz In the Hood came out, a slew of neo-blaxploitation "hood" films came out, and I'm avoiding most of the films from that era also.

I'd like to know what your top 5 or classic 5 entries would be in a list of organized crime films with Black characters. And whether you've seen the 4 that are listed.

Re: Black gangster films - 09/29/10 06:18 AM

"Mr. Untouchable" documentary about, and starring Leroy Nicky Barnes.......is actually pretty good.

Came out around the same time that American Gangster came out.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Black gangster films - 09/29/10 10:12 AM

I've seen all of those that you listed.

I think Hoodlum was the best of the bunch.

Others that were worthwhile include Sugar Hill, Blue Hill Avenue, Paid in Full (this was based on a true story and starred Wood Harris from The Wire), and Belly.

Re: Black gangster films - 09/30/10 02:16 AM

I enjoy sugar hill now that I'm older....very well acted...it wasn't as violent or stylish as NJC and when I was it as a youngster that's what I was expecting.

Blue Hill was decent...a bigger budget would have made it more watchable (I get a laugh out of how creatively the director hides the fact that the lead actor, Payne aka G Money from NJC, is much shorter than his female co-star...if you have low budget..gotta have excellent overall acting and BH's cast was hit or miss

Paid In Full, indeed much better film than what it's lumped in with. ....it's viewed as a typical hood movie but the production values and acting really distinguishes it. I saw a rough cut of the film before it came out.....they didn't get permission to use the music they intended, and that hurt the film.....the Canadian extras and minor characters dimmed the authenticity also....not bad. The book by Azie is very good.

Belly was very well shot flick, but terrible acting by everybody except 3 characters ruined this flick. film was also too blatantly derivative of classic gangster films. I counted 6-7 scenes lifted verbatim from other films.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Black gangster films - 09/30/10 12:53 PM

Whats about Clockers and Dead Presidents?

My personal favorites are these:

1. American Gangster (although highly fictional)
2. Menace II Society
3. Clockers
4. Boys n the Hood
5. Dead Presidents

Re: Black gangster films - 10/01/10 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Whats about Clockers and Dead Presidents?

My personal favorites are these:

1. American Gangster (although highly fictional)
2. Menace II Society
3. Clockers
4. Boys n the Hood
5. Dead Presidents

Both Clockers and DP were good films,SB.
I don't consider them to be gangster films per se, though.I think of gangster films as those depicting organized crime. cosa nostra yakuza triad westies south american cartel or some sort of organization

some of the urban flicks involve criminal characters and gunplay but aren't about organizations with any hierarchy or pecking order.
Posted By: Lovecraft

Re: Black gangster films - 10/01/10 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: getthesenets

I don't consider them to be gangster films per se, though.I think of gangster films as those depicting organized crime. cosa nostra yakuza triad westies south american cartel or some sort of organization

Well that's a problem because traditionally, African Americans are not members of this organized families.

As far as "Black Gangster Films", I really enjoyed Menace 2 Society and Dead Presidents! My favorite however is Boyz n the Hood. Such a fantastic film and has one of the most powerful conclusions of any film I've ever seen. Both Cuba Gooding Jr. and Ice Cube put on truly memorable performances.

Re: Black gangster films - 10/02/10 01:41 AM

The thing is...and it part of the reason why the film Hoodlum stands out...policy...the numbers...was one of the stable (technically)criminal enterprises that Blacks ran.

Some big names, such as the West Indian woman referenced in Hoodlum had criminal organizations that had chain of command,etc

the way the story goes....in NYC... the Jewish and Italian mobsters weren't aware of just how lucrative the "Negro" pennies of policy were...and when they found they tried to muscle in.

I read a book or 2 about ethnic mobs in America...and in NY (nicky barnes and company) there was an organization patterned after the mob.....
Philly had the Junior Black Mafia......a criminal offshoot of one of the Black power groups out there

============================

I love Boyz in the Hood but I think it's inaccurately labeled a gangster movie... it's implied that the guys who kill Ricky are blood gang members but that's about it.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Black gangster films - 10/02/10 03:28 PM

"Hoodlum," "Sugar Hill" and "Across 110th Street" are probably my three favorites.

Re: Black gangster films - 10/02/10 07:49 PM

pizza,

I had forgotten about 110th,

I have the vhs tape....really gritty NYC 70s movie....captures the time and era well.........have to get hands on a dvd of that...

Anthony Quinn was great, that much I remember...

Re: Black gangster films - 10/03/10 05:33 PM

Great movie, Gets. Yaphet Kotto, who would later play FBI Agent Alonzo Mosely (and DeNiro foil) in "Midnight Run," was brilliant.

Re: Black gangster films - 10/06/10 11:46 PM

Pizza,

True,

one of the all time great film taglines/posters also

Re: Black gangster films - 10/06/10 11:49 PM

That's a CLASSIC poster!!!!

Re: Black gangster films - 10/07/10 01:23 AM

Anthony Quin is one of my favorite oldtimers. He also played a magnificant role in Lawrence of Arabia. Very charismatic guy.

Re: Black gangster films - 10/16/10 12:54 AM

one of the common threads in a lot of these films?

the criminally under rated actor Clarence Williams III

Hoodlum,Sugar Hill, American Gangster, Blue Hill Avenue...(Deep Cover, if you want to include that....film did involve south american drug cartel)

Re: Black gangster films - 10/16/10 01:50 PM

the criminally under rated actor Clarence Williams III

"The Mod Squad," baby!

Williams had a terrific guest appearance on "Law and Order" a couple of years ago. He played an Al Sharpton like activist charged in a racially fueled murder.

Re: Black gangster films - 10/17/10 02:51 AM

Anthony Quin is one of my favorite oldtimers. He also played a magnificant role in Lawrence of Arabia. Very charismatic guy.

He plays a wide range of ethnicities (convincingly)too.

Re: Black gangster films - 10/17/10 02:59 AM

I used to read Donald Goines books as a kid (really)..so I was happy to see Never Die Alone make it to the big screen.

DMX could have used some more acting lessons, but I think overall the film was good. It was strict in following the story from the book.

and Clifton Powell, the actor who played the kingpin, is the very best at portraying bosses and crime lords.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Black gangster films - 10/23/10 07:54 PM

In American Gangster, why did the Don played by Armand Assante escape prosecution?

Re: Black gangster films - 10/23/10 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
In American Gangster, why did the Don played by Armand Assante escape prosecution?

He didn't, Oli. That character (Dominic Cattano) was based on Carmine Tramunti, who was the one time boss of the Lucchese Family. He got 15 years and died in jail. Remember in "Goodfellas" when Paulie tells Henry "I ain't gonna get fucked like Gribbs." Gribbs was Tramunti's nickname, and he was really convicted for shaking hands with someone in a restaurant.

Re: Black gangster films - 10/23/10 10:32 PM

Altough it is mentioned in American gangster that Armand Assante's character is the boss of the Lucchese family, he is completely fictitious. He is portrayed as a sort of top boss in the New York underworld, while Tramunti wasn't. For that reason he is more likely based on Carlo Gambino. He also lives in a very similar home as that of Paul Castellano. I don't think the makers of this movie spent much time doing research. As far as I know Frank Lucas did business with the Gambino's and Genovese's (especially Anthony Salerno).

So I think Armand Assante's character is a composition of various gangsters, including Vito and Michael Corleone as the film clearly copied the style of The Godfather. But nevertheless it's a very good movie though.

Re: Black gangster films - 10/23/10 11:45 PM

I think the films have to create composite characters. Otherwise the script is limited to the true life details of who did what.

AA was much more believable as a "sophisticated" gangster than he was playing Gotti. In fact, I think the part in AG was tailor made (pun) for him.

I've read accounts ( by Bumpy Johnson's widow and from contemporary Nicky Barnes) that claim that elements of the story of FL were made up.

Can anyone shed light on what Lucas' involvement with the mafia( if any) were?

Re: Black gangster films - 10/24/10 12:37 AM

Well, I guess what I was asking is how, since Frank started cooperating, the Don was able to escape? With all surveillance et al that Frank was under, wouldn't his relationship with the Don be discovered?

Re: Black gangster films - 10/24/10 01:18 PM

Can anyone shed light on what Lucas' involvement with the mafia( if any) were?

You can find much information in this article:

http://nymag.com/nymag/features/3649/

And here:

http://www.globalpolitician.com/25325-american-gangster-courts-laws

“The raiding party was acting on a tip from two Gambino crime family soldiers who are arrested on drug trafficking charges. The soldiers revealed that one of their biggest customers for heroin was a prominent and flamboyant Black drug dealer named Frank Lucas, who liked to call himself “Superfly.”

Re: Black gangster films - 10/24/10 05:15 PM

Altough it is mentioned in American gangster that Armand Assante's character is the boss of the Lucchese family, he is completely fictitious. He is portrayed as a sort of top boss in the New York underworld, while Tramunti wasn't. For that reason he is more likely based on Carlo Gambino.

Creative license, no doubt. Tramunti never approached a "Boss of Bosses" type of power. But the fact remains that the only Lucchese heavyweight convicted relative to the "French Connection" case was Tramunti. The character is more than likely a composite of several guys, not even necessarily bosses. But who knows for sure?

Lucas' account should be taken with a grain of salt, though. Like any other criminal who got his story published or made into a film (Henry Hill, et al.), there's going to be an expected amount of self-aggrandizement. "American Gangster" was a pretty good film, though. If "The Departed" didn't clean up just a year before, it may have even gotten some Oscar recognition. But they weren't going to vote "gangster" two years in a row.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Black gangster films - 10/24/10 06:39 PM

He plays a wide range of ethnicities (convincingly)too.

Very convincingly! Greek, Italian, Mexican Jew, Indian, Middle Easterner, Chinese.....

Zorba (Zorba The Greek) A Greek
Aienello Dellacroce (Gotti) An Italian
Omar Mukhtar (Lion of the Desert) A middle easterner
Joe The Boss Masseria (Mobsters) An Italian
Santiago (The Old Man & The Sea) A Spaniard
Caiaphas (Jesus Of Nazareth) A Jewish High Priest
Kublai Khan (Marco the Magnificent) A Chinese Emperor
Indian (The Plainsman)
Mexican (Viva Zapata)

Re: Black gangster films - 10/24/10 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Altough it is mentioned in American gangster that Armand Assante's character is the boss of the Lucchese family, he is completely fictitious. He is portrayed as a sort of top boss in the New York underworld, while Tramunti wasn't. For that reason he is more likely based on Carlo Gambino.

Creative license, no doubt. Tramunti never approached a "Boss of Bosses" type of power. But the fact remains that the only Lucchese heavyweight convicted relative to the "French Connection" case was Tramunti. The character is more than likely a composite of several guys, not even necessarily bosses. But who knows for sure?

Lucas' account should be taken with a grain of salt, though. Like any other criminal who got his story published or made into a film (Henry Hill, et al.), there's going to be an expected amount of self-aggrandizement. "American Gangster" was a pretty good film, though. If "The Departed" didn't clean up just a year before, it may have even gotten some Oscar recognition. But they weren't going to vote "gangster" two years in a row.

It's been awhile since I've seen Gangster. So, regardless of what happened in real life, Lucas didn't supply any or sufficient info regarding Assante's Don to sustain his prosecution even though that Don's picture was near the top of Richie's board?

Re: Black gangster films - 10/24/10 06:53 PM

Thanks Sonny. I watched the TV series American Gangster that first aired on BET..they had an episode about Frank that I watched and taped but I got a bit confused after watching the movie.

appreciate the links

Re: Black gangster films - 10/24/10 06:54 PM

It's been awhile since I've seen Gangster. So, regardless of what happened in real life, Lucas didn't supply any or sufficient info regarding Assante's Don to sustain his prosecution even though that Don's picture was near the top of Richie's board?

Yeah, Lucas' recollections seem to be a bit sketchy and revisionist, Oli. I enjoyed the film, but I would have appreciated an ending similar to "Goodfellas," with a detailed written postscript during the credits. As it stands, the ending was a little sloppy. But there are several books on the subject, if you're really that interested.

Re: Black gangster films - 10/24/10 06:59 PM

Yeah, Lucas' recollections seem to be a bit sketchy and revisionist, Oli. I enjoyed the film, but I would have appreciated an ending similar to "Goodfellas," with a detailed written postscript during the credits. As it stands, the ending was a little sloppy. But there are several books on the subject, if you're really that interested.

It just seems that since the Don was on Richie's radar once he began to focus on Frank that at least the Don could have been arrested.

Re: Black gangster films - 10/24/10 07:02 PM

It just seems that since the Don was on Richie's radar once he began to focus on Frank that at least the Don could have been arrested.

Yup. That would have been a much "neater" ending. I hate "loose ends" in films (even though loose ends are what usually happens in real life.)

Re: Black gangster films - 10/24/10 07:38 PM

If Frank Lucas (in the movie) ratted him out he would have been wacked. He obviously understood that. But in real life the don would have been prosecuted. But the film only centered around Lucas.

Re: Black gangster films - 01/07/11 04:15 PM

youtube link to a featurette from the New Jack City dvd

"the road to new jack city"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOXMtyL4XFg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAuR-Nm8W0&feature=related
Posted By: stevapalooza

Re: Black gangster films - 01/12/11 02:27 AM

Hoodlum was a fun movie. Wish they could've actually filmed it in Harlem, but I guess they didn't have the budget.
Posted By: vitelli

Re: Black gangster films - 02/16/11 02:58 PM

Hey SB...I agree, American Gangster is my fav of the group. I knew this was going to be a great gangster movie when the first scene is a guy getting doused in gasoline then being shot several times! That and the way Bumpy and Frank are dressed.

Re: Black gangster films - 02/16/11 05:14 PM

I read in a report that Frank Lucas admitted the movie was only 30% true and I think he's about right. smile
Posted By: VinnyGorgeous

Re: Black gangster films - 02/16/11 06:09 PM

I loved Hoodlum. Tim Roth was in the fucking zone lol.

"He's always saying he had big balls...matter of fact I have them right here" - Dutch "Tim Roth" Schultz
Posted By: Blados

Re: Black gangster films - 07/24/11 11:26 AM

Hi guys, I would like to resee a couple of movies in the genre but I forgot their names. One is about a young man getting out of prison and trying to save his son from the same gang he used to be in. The other on is about a boy genious who plays chess and who by his own intelligence is able to outsmart and destroy a vicios gang. First movie is set in LA, lol the other one has a southern vibe like say New Orleans or such. I'm greateful for your help!!!!
Posted By: ONTARIO613

Re: Black gangster films - 07/25/11 06:56 AM

Menace 2 society is hands down the best and realest it`s a lot like goodfellas with the narratate character introductions
Hoodlum great aswell
Posted By: phatmatress

Re: Black gangster films - 07/26/11 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Blados
Hi guys, I would like to resee a couple of movies in the genre but I forgot their names. One is about a young man getting out of prison and trying to save his son from the same gang he used to be in. The other on is about a boy genious who plays chess and who by his own intelligence is able to outsmart and destroy a vicios gang. First movie is set in LA, lol the other one has a southern vibe like say New Orleans or such. I'm greateful for your help!!!!
the first movie is south central wich is a great flick

Re: Black gangster films - 07/26/11 04:36 AM

I read in a report that Frank Lucas admitted the movie was only 30% true and I think he's about right. smile
yes u are correct. american gangster was very fictionalized. really over played how some black country bumpkin family could come to new york and over ride the mob in the 60's and 70's imo

Re: Black gangster films - 07/27/11 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Blados

second film is "FRESH" and is set in NYC

Re: Black gangster films - 12/01/11 07:10 PM

There's the scene in AG where Frank tells Cattano that he'll sell him heroin for $50k per kilo. But previous to that he asks Cattano if they're paying $80k per kilo now. Why did Frank apparently offer the lower price.

Re: Black gangster films - 12/02/11 06:57 PM

There's the scene in AG where Frank tells Cattano that he'll sell him heroin for $50k per kilo. But previous to that he asks Cattano if they're paying $80k per kilo now. Why did Frank apparently offer the lower price.
b/c ag was pretty fake.
Posted By: Fame

Re: Black gangster films - 12/17/11 01:10 AM

I must have seen "Boyz n the hood" more times than any other black gangster film, and for a good reason. What a fine, fine movie it is.

Has anyone seen "Juice" or any other 2pac movie? I'd like to hear if they're any good.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Black gangster films - 12/17/11 01:48 AM

Juice was pretty good. I haven't seen all of the films Tupac was in.

"Bluehill Avenue" suffered a bit from budget and script issues but wasn't too bad.

Posted By: Blake

Re: Black gangster films - 12/17/11 03:06 AM

Shottas is my favorite black gangster film. It's the true story of Jamaican criminals that would move to Miami to murder and steal from drug dealers.
Posted By: Frosty

Re: Black gangster films - 12/17/11 06:46 PM

I don't mind some of these movies, but this holding a gun fricken sideways sucks, WTF they worried they might get a casing in the face or somethin ? And I think they are the ones that started this having their damm pants hanging down to the middle of thar ass and underware showing. Fricken disgrace.
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: Black gangster films - 12/28/11 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Fame
I must have seen "Boyz n the hood" more times than any other black gangster film, and for a good reason. What a fine, fine movie it is.

Has anyone seen "Juice" or any other 2pac movie? I'd like to hear if they're any good.

Catch Gridlock'd. 'Pac and Tim Roth play a pair of funny smack fiends who play in a band with Thandie Newton. Im pretty sure you see her boobs too.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Black gangster films - 12/29/11 07:27 AM

Tim Roth was the one good part of Hoodlum. Too much revisionist history.

Re: Black gangster films - 01/05/12 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Frosty
I don't mind some of these movies, but this holding a gun fricken sideways sucks, WTF they worried they might get a casing in the face or somethin ? And I think they are the ones that started this having their damm pants hanging down to the middle of thar ass and underware showing. Fricken disgrace.

gotta love honesty

I won't point out the glaring contradiction of being on a forum about films depicting criminal organizations(killings, extortions,trafficking drugs,women) and making a post about young kids sagging their pants.

kill 15 people but for goodness sake pull your pants up!!!!

I mentioned to Lilo once that a lot of people who don't care for some of today's artists because of their bad images...own albums from "legends" of other genres who were killers, convicts, drug addicts, etc,etc.
it's a joke.

and honestly....I think that guys on the streets were imitating Tony's "so long, Mel" scene when they started shooting sideways like that..

Re: Black gangster films - 01/05/12 07:51 PM

I don't think you've met Frosty yet, Gets. He's insane, so don't pay him any mind grin.

The baggy pants thing started in prison. Your belt is taken from you, your pants droop. If that's what young people want to emulate, it's their right. But I don't get it.
Posted By: Scorsese

Re: Black gangster films - 01/05/12 09:25 PM

What did you guys think of 50 cents get rich or die tryin? It was based loosley on his life i thought the whole gang war with the latinos scenario was good.

Re: Black gangster films - 01/06/12 02:31 AM

I don't think you've met Frosty yet, Gets. He's insane, so don't pay him any mind grin.

The baggy pants thing started in prison. Your belt is taken from you, your pants droop. If that's what young people want to emulate, it's their right. But I don't get it.

I think it looks downright foolish myself, and can't take anybody dressed like that in public seriously,

but....I found it a bit odd to read a rant about it in this setting.
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: Black gangster films - 01/06/12 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Scorsese
What did you guys think of 50 cents get rich or die tryin? It was based loosley on his life i thought the whole gang war with the latinos scenario was good.

Honestly, I wish he had died trying. It says a lot when actually getting shot in the fucking mouth makes your raps sound better.

"this hare world si moovin to fast [sad rustic cackle]". I honestly wonder if its a troll account sometimes. If not, I think he got upset when we stopped replying to his PM's. panic

oh, wink cool rolleyes
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET