Home

Something about goodfellas

Posted By: Feemce

Something about goodfellas - 10/15/09 10:12 AM

now i'm not quite sure if something like this has been asked here before but i will do so anyway : ].
did u ever notice how respectfully and well Jummy Conway was treated in Goodfellas...
now..
during the end of the movie henry said "but jimmy and i could never be made cus we had irish blood".
now...i'm not quite sure about how important or how well the rankings were respected back then but i don't think they would show that much respect to an associate..
i mean i might've just misunderstood certain things here or (god forbid) Scorsese just made a tiny mistake.

right now i'm just curious : ]

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/15/09 10:12 AM

*Jimmy
Posted By: SC

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/15/09 10:18 AM

Burke made a lot of money for the Mob and that translates in to respect (regardless of your ethnicity). The same was true of Meyer Lansky.

Welcome to the boards, Feemce.

If you want to change something in one of your posts (i.e. the spelling of a word) you can do so by simply hitting the Edit button underneath each post box.

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/15/09 10:25 AM

so basically the rank didn't play a big role when ur income was good?
and ty : ]
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/15/09 10:46 AM

People still cared about race, religion and ethnicity but if you were a big money maker and a dangerous killer as Jimmy Burke was, people that were formally made in the Mafia were going to respect you.

Everyone in NY knew who Burke was and he got respect not only because of his association with the Luccheses but in his own right.
Posted By: stevapalooza

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/16/09 03:02 AM

They should make a movie just about Jimmy Burke. He was an interesting guy. Scary as hell, but interesting.

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/18/09 11:03 AM

not sure...
not many people know about him so it most likely will only be popular among people who are fans of such things : \
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/18/09 03:35 PM

for some of the truth behind GoodFellas, check chasingthefrog.com

I remember reading somewhere that the bosses loved Jimmy because he was the best hitman they ever knew.

also Henry Hill has said that you never knew if he wasn't going to kill you just for saying something wrong even if he was your friend. that behaviour should evoke respect, even if based just on fear.

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/18/09 04:09 PM

if i remember correctly then Henry meant overall it was never sure when 1 guy killed the other for breaking balls too much,he didn't mention Jimmy.

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/18/09 08:59 PM

Hill did say that Burke could kill you just as fast as shake your hand. Burke evidently made Henry (and probably other people) a little nervous.
Posted By: Yurkin

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/26/09 08:27 PM

He was a great earner and brought in a lot of money for Paulie and the rest of the guys. Thats mainly why his craziness was tolerated.
Plus, he tipped BIG. lol. THAT and also nobody could really tell where they stood with Jimmy. He was a smart guy! I have WISEGUY and in the book it states, "At dinner he could be the nicest guy in the world, but then he could blow you away for dessert."
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/28/09 04:58 PM

This brings up an interesting sidelight:

Since Tommy wasn't a made man at the time of Batts' murder, the Gambinos were within their "rights" to whack him without consulting Paulie. But they probably brought their beef to him because they figured that since Tommy was "with" him, he should have the responsibility for getting rid of Tommy. Both Jimmy and Henry were complicit in Batts' murder. But Paulie arranged for only Tommy to be whacked. It was a brilliant move: he proved to the Gambinos that he believed in the Mafia "code of honor" (never f**k with a made man); now they owed him one. He also got rid of Tommy, whose wild behavior was a serous liability to Paulie, and retained Jimmy and Henry, who possessed the ultimate Mafia virtue: they were good earners.

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/28/09 11:39 PM

Exactly. In Paulies' POV it may have also acted as a warning to Jimmy and Henry. "If I can do this to one of my own, don't think I wouldn't do it to you if you get out of line".
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/29/09 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Lilo
Exactly. In Paulies' POV it may have also acted as a warning to Jimmy and Henry. "If I can do this to one of my own, don't think I wouldn't do it to you if you get out of line".

...reinforcing Paulie's warning to Henry re. drugs: "Just don't do it!"
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: Something about goodfellas - 10/31/09 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
This brings up an interesting sidelight:

Since Tommy wasn't a made man at the time of Batts' murder, the Gambinos were within their "rights" to whack him without consulting Paulie. But they probably brought their beef to him because they figured that since Tommy was "with" him, he should have the responsibility for getting rid of Tommy. Both Jimmy and Henry were complicit in Batts' murder. But Paulie arranged for only Tommy to be whacked. It was a brilliant move: he proved to the Gambinos that he believed in the Mafia "code of honor" (never f**k with a made man); now they owed him one. He also got rid of Tommy, whose wild behavior was a serous liability to Paulie, and retained Jimmy and Henry, who possessed the ultimate Mafia virtue: they were good earners.

Once again Turnbull offers insight. clap
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: Something about goodfellas - 11/04/09 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Yurkin
He was a great earner and brought in a lot of money for Paulie and the rest of the guys. Thats mainly why his craziness was tolerated.
Plus, he tipped BIG. lol. THAT and also nobody could really tell where they stood with Jimmy. He was a smart guy! I have WISEGUY and in the book it states, "At dinner he could be the nicest guy in the world, but then he could blow you away for dessert."

Zigagckly.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET