Home

'Gomorra' The Movie!

Posted By: veneratio

'Gomorra' The Movie! - 06/22/09 08:45 PM

This deserves it's own thread, what a movie!

I just saw Gomorra amd thought it was amazing.
So realistic, ugly and brutal, no glamour about it.
Just grass roots horror and reality of the life over there.
Amazing stuff!

Got a question though...
I hear Gomorrah is a play on words with the Camorra (the organisation).
But I don't quite get it, can someone help me out?
I know Soddom and Gomorra were cities destroyed by Gods fire and brimstone for being full of sin?? (I think correct me if I'm wrong).
Why was the movie called Gomorra?
Who else has seen it and what do they think?
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 06/24/09 06:22 PM

Some thoughts I wrote back in October:

Throughout, the Camorra is portrayed as a microcosm in itself, with little wider context, and so, when at the end of the film intertitles inform us of the organisation’s social impact, the sudden contextual revelation feels cheap and unsatisfactory: if only we’d had this sort of stuff in the narrative itself, and not as part of some Terry George- or Edward Zwick-like post-script (both Hotel Rwanda and Blood Diamond invoke similar techniques).

It’s an engrossing film; the acting is nothing short of excellent, and individual scenarios are handled extremely well. But where it could have been a blend between City of God and The Wire, it becomes increasingly prone to Syriana Syndrome: potential emotional weight loses out to narrative devices, and we care little for anyone by the final fade to black. It’s a shoddy and elusive film, when it should be structured and interrogative. A frustrating waste.

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 06/24/09 06:23 PM

...But I'd like to see it again.
Posted By: veneratio

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 06/24/09 09:24 PM

Shoddy and elusive? Explain Capo de la Cosa Nostra...!!! ;-)
Did you think it needed a narrator?

(I'm not having a go or anything, just interested in your views)

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 06/25/09 06:03 PM

No, but it needed some narrative cohesion to make the wider social questions an integral part of the film, and not just some tagged-on epitaph. As it stands in the film, it seems a cheap way of offering some sort of social "commentary" without really having any kind of in-depth analysis within the film.

It could have done with another forty minutes or so.
Posted By: DiMaggio68

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 07/10/09 04:24 AM

I HEARD IT WAS ALRIGHT, BUT I DIDN'T SEE IT, THOUGH......

SCORSESE IS DA MAN!!!!!
Posted By: JerseyGuy

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 07/12/09 05:44 AM

Hey, how is this film. I've heard that its brilliant and an entertaining and realistic depiction of the mafia/camorra lifestyle but I've also heard people say that it is boring.

Is it worth a watch, because it looks very interesting
Posted By: DonZito

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 07/26/09 03:18 AM

I did not like this movie very much. Its too on the surface for me. I do however have a serious statement to make:

I can now see how they failed to kill Robert Saviano before Christmas as they look too much like a street gang of punks. Surely by threatening Saviano's life, they are making meatballs out of the situation, as they don't see the truth about themselves. A group of their size, plus the massive amount of murders, and they can't even promise to kill a book writer who wanted to expose how unorganised they really are.
Posted By: JerseyGuy

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 07/28/09 05:14 PM

Yeah the Sicilian mob and camoraa is a lot more like a street gang of ruthless and disorganized murderers than the mob that we have in America. I'm not saying that arrogantly, just making a point

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 07/31/09 06:26 AM

I thought the film was not bad...
Posted By: Italian_Mafia_Boss

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 08/04/09 11:50 PM

I saw this movie, it was very well done. One of the best Mafia movies I've ever seen.

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 08/28/09 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Italian_Mafia_Boss
I saw this movie, it was very well done. One of the best Mafia movies I've ever seen.

I agree...........
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 09/29/09 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: veneratio
This deserves it's own thread, what a movie!

I just saw Gomorra amd thought it was amazing.
So realistic, ugly and brutal, no glamour about it.
Just grass roots horror and reality of the life over there.
Amazing stuff!

Got a question though...
I hear Gomorrah is a play on words with the Camorra (the organisation).
But I don't quite get it, can someone help me out?
I know Soddom and Gomorra were cities destroyed by Gods fire and brimstone for being full of sin?? (I think correct me if I'm wrong).
Why was the movie called Gomorra?
Who else has seen it and what do they think?

Great book. Haven't caught the movie yet. Hopefully it'll get a DVD release in Australia. Anyway... Camorra/Gomorra as in Sodom and Gomorrah. He's like comparing it to the corrupt and unmoraled biblical city.
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 09/29/09 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: DiMaggio68
I HEARD IT WAS ALRIGHT, BUT I DIDN'T SEE IT, THOUGH......

SCORSESE IS DA MAN!!!!!

Yeah dude Scorsese is totally the man. What did he have to do with Gomorra though? A bloke named Matteo Garrone directed it.

Re: 'Gomorra' The Movie! - 09/29/09 10:24 PM

I've a sudden urge to watch this again.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET