Home

On The Waterfront!

Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

On The Waterfront! - 08/15/07 02:33 PM

Obviously a classic,classic movie and a favourite of a lot of people but it recently came to my attention that i did'nt actually own this film on DVD \:o
Well problem solved,just bought it today!
And what a bargain...only £3 in the sale!
I knew today had the smell of success about it \:\)
Posted By: SC

Re: On The Waterfront! - 08/15/07 02:34 PM

Cool! And you got quite a buy!!
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: On The Waterfront! - 08/15/07 02:37 PM

"It was you, Charlie."

Re: On The Waterfront! - 08/15/07 02:56 PM

As we've discussed before, this is one of my favorite movies of all time. Awesome acting!!!
Posted By: chopper

Re: On The Waterfront! - 08/15/07 09:20 PM

Amazing film love it, i bet you got it from HMV Yogi?
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: On The Waterfront! - 08/16/07 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: chopper
Amazing film love it, i bet you got it from HMV Yogi?

Yes mate, i did \:\)
There is always a sale on in HMV is there not?
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: On The Waterfront! - 08/16/07 01:01 PM

Most definitely one of my favorites!

Good buy. ;\)

Some fantastic acting around a superb storyline. Some of my uncles were longshoremen back in the day, and I always remember them saying how 'On The Waterfront' showed the way that it really was for those working on the docks back in those days.

In my opinion it was Brando's finest work. Karl Malden and Rod Stieger do a fantastic job in their respective roles, but for me Lee J. Cobb almost steals the show as gangster Johnny Friendly.

Great movie!
Posted By: chopper

Re: On The Waterfront! - 08/16/07 09:11 PM

Always as long as i can remember going to HMV there is always a sale on.

Dvds at 2 and 3 pound and you get some classics for that price as well \:D
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: On The Waterfront! - 08/19/07 03:14 AM

Lots of distinguished alumni in "Waterfront." It marked the movie debuts of Martin Balsam and Fred Gwynne. Also, Rudy Bond, who played Carmine Cuneo in GF, was "Moose" in "Waterfront."
Posted By: olivant

Re: On The Waterfront! - 08/19/07 02:56 PM

Gritty, which is missing from alot of such films today. How effective would it have been in color?
Posted By: Fame

Re: On The Waterfront! - 01/11/12 12:46 PM

I just rewatched this classic. I have to say that while I do agree with everything above about how great this movie is, there was just one small thing which bothered me throughout my viewing: Brando's makeup. It was just excessive and quite noticeable. It works well in the movie poster, but to watch an entire serious film with this makeup felt very strange. His performance was top notch, regardless. I don't know, maybe it's part of artistic vision that I fail to embrace. I really wanted to dive in and disconnect, but the makeup kept reminding me I'm watching a movie. Everything else felt authentic.

Re: On The Waterfront! - 01/11/12 06:31 PM

Well, you're right about Brando's makeup. But I guess you can blame that on the times.

I get the same feeling today when I watch the first "Rocky." For all the jokes, and for the punchline that the series would later become, the original is one of the best films of the '70s, and one of the most inspirational of all-time. But Stallone's makeup for the latter end of the fight scene was dreadful. But it doesen't diminish my overall appraisal of the film.

Same goes for "Waterfront." It's definitely in my top five of all-time. Right up there with "GF 1 and 2" and "Casablanca."
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: On The Waterfront! - 01/12/12 09:48 PM

" I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Charley."

Classic film.It's been a while since i watched this..
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: On The Waterfront! - 01/13/12 01:26 AM

"D'next one dat t'rows somethin' deals wit' me, I don't care if he's twice me size..."

"They're dustin' off the hot seat for me..."

"He's standing right next to Kayo now and he's saying, 'If you do it to the least of mine, you do it to me'..."
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: On The Waterfront! - 01/19/12 01:37 AM

Every time I watch this movie and he says to Brando "Cmon...cmon" I just want to jump through the TV and kick Johnny Friendly's ass! That shows what a fantastic job Lee J. Cobb does portraying that character, making the viewer despise him!
Posted By: Big Alex

Re: On The Waterfront! - 10/10/12 10:34 PM

The Golden Warriors; the kid that visits Brando on the roof wears a jacket w/Golden Warriors across the back. There was an Italian Street gang at that time (1950s > early 60s) called the Golden Ginnies in South B'klyn which is where the action was supposed to be based.

Re: On The Waterfront! - 10/10/12 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Alex
There was an Italian Street gang at that time (1950s > early 60s) called the Golden Ginnies in South B'klyn which is where the action was supposed to be based.

It was the Golden Guineas.
Posted By: Big Alex

Re: On The Waterfront! - 10/10/12 11:30 PM

I was there, I remember how they spelled it 'Ginnies'; a derogatory term for Italians. My Mother would slap me in the face everytime I used it.
Posted By: SEAN_SOUTH

Re: On The Waterfront! - 11/03/12 11:15 PM

Quote:
The Golden Warriors; the kid that visits Brando on the roof wears a jacket w/Golden Warriors across the back. There was an Italian Street gang at that time (1950s > early 60s) called the Golden Ginnies in South B'klyn which is where the action was supposed to be based.

Charley Malloy, Rod Steiger's character was obviously Eddie Mcgrath, the guy who controlled the West Side Manhattan rackets at the time.

Father John M Corigan, the real life priest father Barry was based on in the film, was also based on the West Side Of Manhattan. This is the core of the film right here.

It was loosely based around corruption in Manhattan and Brooklyn but the West Side certainly influenced alot of the key characters even if the precise location is never really pinned down in the film.

Re: On The Waterfront! - 06/07/14 09:29 PM

AMC right now. Terry just found Charlie hanging on the hook. Brando's finest hour.

I'm gonna take it out on their skulls.

Re: On The Waterfront! - 06/07/14 09:35 PM

And I love when Father Barry slugs Terry in the Friendly Bar. Classic tough guy Priest smile.
Posted By: Footreads

Re: On The Waterfront! - 06/08/14 12:08 AM

That was a work of art. When Brando tells his girl friend he had something to do with her brothers death. You could not hear him say it because of the boat horn noise, and you just saw her facial expression. What a moment in film.

They tried to copy that moment in the movie the firm when cruise told his wife their house was buged with the music from the sterio blasting. Then you see the wife's facial expression.

Remember the character Herman monster and the judge in cousin Vinnie the actor Fred Guinn had a minor role in on the waterfront and do did the boxer two ton tony Galento.

In honor of this movie I will tell you a water front joke.

A steam ship pulls into new York arbor. A crew comes in on a truck to unload it.

The crew boss gets out of the truck and tells the workers how he wants it done.

First he introduces a new man to tge crew. This is Mario just arrived from Italy.

Crew boss says today we are unloading bags of fertizer. I go on the ship take off a bag. I had it to Lou, he hands it to Leo, he hands it to bob, he hands it to Stevie, and he hands it to Mario and you put the bag on the truck.

Then he says to Mario work hard and one day you will do what I do.

Mario says excuse me boss but aren't we all doing the same thing? Everyone one on the crew starts to laugh at Mario. Mario is confused then the crew boss tells him no Mario. I am boss and I take no shit from nobody smile
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET