Home

Any suggestions?

Posted By: Martin Sbalzi

Any suggestions? - 01/10/05 12:37 AM

I am having trouble deciding which book I will read first, written by Mario Puzo. Any suggestions?
Posted By: JustMe

Re: Any suggestions? - 01/10/05 05:18 PM

Read "The Godfather", then "The Sicilian". Then anything.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Any suggestions? - 01/11/05 01:28 PM

The "Godfather" has to be your first choice,then try the "Last Don" thats a excellant read then the "Siccilan"
Posted By: Don Rypcord

Re: Any suggestions? - 01/11/05 04:17 PM

I read "The Godfather" then "The Family" and liked Family ALOT better, then read "Omerta" and it was quite good as well.

Re: Any suggestions? - 01/13/05 11:33 PM

I got The Godfather, I plan on getting The Sicilian next.
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: Any suggestions? - 01/17/05 03:58 AM

The Godfather is a great read...
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Any suggestions? - 01/17/05 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Smitty:
The Godfather is a great read...
Don Smitty, have you read Omerta? Good book! If not I have an extra copy that I could give you. Let Me know.

Don Cardi
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Any suggestions? - 01/17/05 06:14 PM

Definitely read The Godfather first, since you are already familiar with the subject matter. It'll introduce you to Puzo's writing style, and will make the rest of his books more enjoyable. My favorite of his novels is Fools Die. By far his best book, IMO.
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: Any suggestions? - 01/22/05 05:43 AM

I recently bought "The Fortunate Pilgram" I cannot put it down. I really recomend this book to everyone out there. Mario Puzio said it was his favorite book he ever wrote. I did not know he wrote this book untill I was in the book store the other day and I saw it. Nobody ever talks about it. A really great read so far. Don Cardi thanks again for hooking me up with Omerta. When I get done with this book I will read Omerta.

Re: Any suggestions? - 01/25/05 09:04 PM

I feel the same way about The Godfather, Don Smitty. I don't usually read, but I can't stop reading it. I'm getting The Sicilian next.
Posted By: Michael Kudione

Re: Any suggestions? - 01/26/05 12:20 AM

I have read The Godfather, The Last Don, Fools Die, Omerta, and started to read The Family.

Absolutely loved The Godfather, so much detail, such a rich story and rarely does a page go by that isnt captivating. A few drawn out parts, but remember, this was a book before it was a movie.

Second favorite read has to be Fools Die. Every character is interesting, every story has a point and is fascinating.

Last Don and Omerta are very good reads and are more of a current state of the mob stories.

Couldn't quite get into The Family. I'm sure I will re-visit it sometime soon, but it was a struggle to read the limited amount that I did read.

Some other non-Puzo great reads are:

Gangster, Lorenzo Carcaterra
King Con, Stephen Cannell
The Plan, Stephen Cannell
Motherless Brooklyn, Jonathan Letham
Donnie Brasco, Joseph Pistone
Underboss, Peter Maas

and a few other non-fiction/true crime books about the mafia. have a library of over 40 mafia related books, so if you have any questions about a particular book, just ask, chances are I've read it.

Re: Any suggestions? - 01/26/05 05:17 PM

I read that The Family is set in seventeenth century Rome. That doesn't sound very interesting, so it will probably be the last book I read written by Mario Puzo.
Posted By: Don Rypcord

Re: Any suggestions? - 01/27/05 12:26 AM

Its about the Pope's, and basically, them having their own "Mafia" like family.

Its the Borgia's if you'd like to look it up first.

Re: Any suggestions? - 01/28/05 11:31 PM

Thanks, Don Rypcord.
Posted By: Peter_Clemenza

Re: Any suggestions? - 03/05/05 12:27 PM

I have just completed The Godfather, and it was an excellent book. I recommend reading it before reading any others.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET