Home

A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET

Posted By: dontomasso

A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/15/06 05:56 PM

Get some imported salami with fennel, sliced prosciutto, sliced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, onions, pickles, black olives, fresh green peppers, pickled light green peppers, arrange it all on a long piece of fresh bread, pour extra virgin olive oil, a little vinegar, some oregano, salt and pepper, fold the bread all nice, slice it in half and chow down. Thats my trick.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/15/06 07:22 PM

I believe it's called a "hero" only in New York. Elsewhere it's a "grinder" (CT), "sub" (NJ and many other places), "hoagie" (the South?), "hush puppy" (also the South?). Anyone else know more?
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/15/06 07:50 PM

Personally, I would skip the pickles and the peppers, and add some nice cheese. Perhaps some thinly sliced provolone. Also, you have to have fresh bread, otherwise it's no good.

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/15/06 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
Personally, I would skip the pickles and the peppers, and add some nice cheese. Perhaps some thinly sliced provolone. Also, you have to have fresh bread, otherwise it's no good.
Absolutely provolone
Posted By: bogey

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/15/06 09:16 PM

Psh, yinz haven't lived til you've tried a Pittsburgh's own Primanti Brothers sandwich.

THE most amazing sandwich, ever. I'm partial to the cheese combo, myself. Coleslaw, tomatoes, french fries, and all kinds of cheese. And bread. Of course, bread. I think I'm gonna go make myself one now actually.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/15/06 09:18 PM

You'll get Fat
Posted By: bogey

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/15/06 09:22 PM

Tis a minor detail.
Posted By: DonVitoCorleone

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/15/06 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bogey:
*orgasm
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 07:15 AM

It's a Grinder or Sub Sandwich in Chicago.

Waiting for SC to pop-in and tell us it's a Gondola in Peoria!

Don't forget a spoon of hot giardinara and/or some pickled eggplant.

Can you find good prosciutto in your neighborhood? Some time ago, I got a half-pound of a premium prosciutto (it might have been prosciutto di parma) and paid $26/lb! But it was definitely better, leaner and tastier, than the grocery store prosciutto.

tony b.
Posted By: SC

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 07:17 AM

Its a gondola in Peoria.

:p

And I love 'em!
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 07:23 AM

Good timing!

tony b.

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
I believe it's called a "hero" only in New York. Elsewhere it's a "grinder" (CT), "sub" (NJ and many other places), "hoagie" (the South?), "hush puppy" (also the South?). Anyone else know more?
TB actually it is a "hoagie" in Philadelphia. The way it came about is that there was a place called "Hog's Island" in the port of Philadelphia. Many of the workers there at the turn of the century were of Italian descent and brought sandwiches on long bread, and ate them for lunch. The locals began referring to the workers and their sandwiches as "Hoggies" (after the island) and it you put a Philadelphia accent to it the word sounds like Hoagies. Soon local delis began selling variations of the sadnwich and thus the name stuck.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dontomasso:
[quote]Originally posted by Turnbull:
[b] I believe it's called a "hero" only in New York. Elsewhere it's a "grinder" (CT), "sub" (NJ and many other places), "hoagie" (the South?), "hush puppy" (also the South?). Anyone else know more?
TB actually it is a "hoagie" in Philadelphia. The way it came about is that there was a place called "Hog's Island" in the port of Philadelphia. Many of the workers there at the turn of the century were of Italian descent and brought sandwiches on long bread, and ate them for lunch. The locals began referring to the workers and their sandwiches as "Hoggies" (after the island) and it you put a Philadelphia accent to it the word sounds like Hoagies. Soon local delis began selling variations of the sadnwich and thus the name stuck. [/b][/quote]That's correct Don T. And there is also another version as to the invention of the term hoagie. The story goes, that one day an Irish worker, who everyday carried an American cheese sandwich, looked enviously at his co-workers’ lunches and said; "If you wife will make me one of those things, I’ll buy it from you." The man went home and said to his wife "Tomorrow, make two sandwiches, one for me and one for Hogan," his co-worker’s name. So everyone started calling the sandwich "hogans," which eventually go shorten to hoagie.

Nothing like fresh baked Italian bread with fresh prosciuto, homemade salted mozzarella and thinly sliced roasted eggplant sprinkled with some oregano, balsamic vinegar and some pure extra virgin olive oil.

And don't forget to put some freshly cut dry salami on the side.

NICE!

(**as Don Cardi pinches and lightly twists his own cheek**)

Don Cardi
Posted By: Double-J

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 02:47 PM

Though this may go against my political instincts, I always liked French Dip's. :p

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
Though this may go against my political instincts, I always liked French Dip's. :p
You mean "Freedom Dips" with a side order of "Freedom Fries" with melted "American" cheese.

Don Cardi

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Don Cardi [/QB][/QUOTE]

Wow DC we agree on something.

But the prosciutto has to be imported even though it costs an arm and a leg.

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 03:51 PM

I buy my prosciutto di parma for about $15/lb. at Teitel Brothers in the Bronx. They also have the imported mortadella for about $4/lb. Their stuff is incredibly good. Their sopresata is out of this world.

We'll go down to Arthur Avenue and buy cheese and meat and fresh bread. Mr. Babe will insist on 2 lbs. of prosciutto, and I'll tell him that it's way too much, and then it's all gone in 48 hours.

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 03:56 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[b]
Don Cardi [/b][/quote]Wow DC we agree on something.

But the prosciutto has to be imported even though it costs an arm and a leg. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Absolutely! As far as I'm concerned there is no other type of Prosciutto than Imported Prosciutto!

Don Cardi
Posted By: Walter Mosca

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 04:05 PM

Reminds me of Kelly's Heroes, when Donald Sutherland says

"To a New-Yorker like you, a hero is some kind of wierd sandwich!"

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[quote]Originally posted by dontomasso:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[b]
Don Cardi [/b][/quote]Wow DC we agree on something.

But the prosciutto has to be imported even though it costs an arm and a leg. [/b][/quote]Absolutely! As far as I'm concerned there is no other type of Prosciutto than Imported Prosciutto!

Don Cardi [/QB][/QUOTE]

DC, you may know this but the production of prosciutto and of parmasean cheese is related, and it is why you also have to use imported reggianio-parmagianno (which also costs an arm and a leg)and not the domestic stuff. The relationship is that the farmers in Parma use locally grown straw to feed the pigs that become prociutto and the sheep which give the milk to make the cheese. Thus the lower end of the food chain produces two distinct yet related products that cannot be duplicated anywhere in the world.
Posted By: Saladbar

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 08:05 PM

Quote:
Poboy in the south, well, at least Louisiana.

Hush puppies are fried cornmeal batter. Hush puppy, eat this and go away while I fry me up some fish.
Posted By: Saladbar

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/16/06 08:08 PM

Quote:
Get some imported salami with fennel, sliced prosciutto, sliced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, onions, pickles, black olives, fresh green peppers, pickled light green peppers, arrange it all on a long piece of fresh bread, pour extra virgin olive oil, a little vinegar, some oregano, salt and pepper, fold the bread all nice, slice it in half and chow down. Thats my trick.
You aren't a real man until you tried fried oyster poboys. Yum.

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/17/06 04:44 AM

Quote:
...and it is why you also have to use imported reggianio-parmagianno (which also costs an arm and a leg)and not the domestic stuff.
Costco has excellent Parmigiano Reggiano (aged more than 3 years) at a fairly reasonable price. You can probably get better stuff if you search an Italian neighborhood (like Arthur Avenue in the Bronx), but not at Costco's price.

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/17/06 10:00 AM

Mike's Deli in the Arthur Avenue Market has a great selection of cheeses. However, Teitel Brothers is where you have to buy your prosciutto, sopresata and mortadella. Then Randazzo's for fish, Vincent's for meat, Addeo's for bread and Borgatti's for fresh pasta. Then you finish it off with a visit to Egidio's for pastry and Mt. Carmel Liquors for some wine and you're all set.

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/17/06 01:53 PM

Randazzo's? I thought they were in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn ("One order of fried calamar'--no feet!").

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/17/06 01:56 PM

Actually, I took some friends who are from Brooklyn to Arthur Avenue, and they said the same thing!

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/17/06 02:13 PM

Quote:
Randazzo's? I thought they were in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn.
Back in the day, On top of Randazzo's restaurant, was a very popular 'after hours' club.

Two other places that come to mind when mentioning Sheepshead Bay are 'Jeans' and the original 'Lundy's'

And honorable mention always has to go to "Roll and Roaster' where almost everybody went after a night out of drinking and partying.

Lundy's : Opening up in 1934, Lundy’s Restaurant, near the water in Sheepshead Bay, featured Spanish Mission Mediterranean- style architecture, a cavernous interior with seating in its heyday for 2800, and its famous “Shore Dinner.” The restaurant was a special place for Sunday lunch, special family occasions, holidays, and meaningful personal moments such as my engagement in 1961. The original Lundy’s closed in 1979.

Not to mention late night trips to their clam bar for baked clams and tap beers.

Don Cardi

Re: A HERO YOU'LL NEVER FORGET - 08/17/06 02:27 PM

My wife and I used to go to Lundy's regularly. The shore dinner was an incredible bargain: shrimp or crabmeat cocktail, steamers, biscuits, broiled or boiled lobster, 2 veg., dessert and coffee for less than $10! "Cavernous" is an understatement--I think it was the biggest restaurant in the city at one time. It reopened in the 90's, but I'm not sure about its status now.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET