Home

Anyone know the orgins of last names??

Posted By: JohnnyTheBullMiconi

Anyone know the orgins of last names?? - 06/15/06 04:47 PM

I'm trying to find out if I'm Sicilian or Northern Italian my last name is Miconi any one know??
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Anyone know the orgins of last names?? - 06/15/06 04:56 PM

Start here . Then you can branch out into more specific research.
Posted By: Cancerkitty

Re: Anyone know the orgins of last names?? - 06/16/06 12:03 PM

Mine's Polish and it's a mongralized version of the word for turkey.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Anyone know the orgins of last names?? - 06/16/06 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cancerkitty:
Mine's Polish and it's a mongralized version of the word for turkey.
Tofurky? :p

How about one of those Turduckens, where they put a chicken inside of a duck insider of a turkey?
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Anyone know the orgins of last names?? - 06/16/06 07:58 PM

I can't say I know for sure the origin of my last name. However, I believe it's Sicilian.

A while back I posted a site with a map of Italy/Sicily, where you put in your last name and the map shows in which area/s your name is most popular. If it derived from elsewhere, I don't know where.

TIS
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Anyone know the orgins of last names?? - 06/17/06 10:34 PM

Welcome, Johnny!
A question you need to determine is: Is your last name really Miconi? Or is that what the immigration officer who processed your immigrant ancestors thought he heard when they arrived in this country? A typical example is seen in GFII, when the boy Vito arrives in America. The immigration officer asks, "What's your name, son?" An Italian-speaking assistant says to Vito, "Uo nome?" Vito doesn't answer, so the assistant looks at his papers and says, "Vito Andolini from Corleone." The immigration officer say, "OK, Vito Corleone. Next..."
That kind of stuff actually happened all the time. My real family name is polysyllabic. But when my grandfather came to Ellis Island around 1900, the immigration officer recorded only the first syllable--and that's been our name ever since.
In your case, suppose your ancestor's name was "Micchione." He/she would pronounce it "Mih-CONE-eh," and the phonetic version would go on the immigration certificate. And that's only one possibility. You need to quiz your older relatives to find out more.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET