Home

Al Pacino Biography

Posted By: Don Cardi

Al Pacino Biography - 06/11/05 01:23 AM

Date of Birth: April 25, 1940
Place of Birth: New York, NY, USA
Sign: Sun in Taurus, Moon in Sagittarius
Education: High School of the Performing Arts dropout; studiedacting at the Actors Studio and the Herbert Berghof Studio, both in New York City.
Relations: Kid: Julie Marie (mother, Jan Tarrant); Companion:Beverly D'Angelo (actress)
Nickname: Sonny
Height: 5' 6"

One of the greatest actors in all of film history, Al Pacino established himself during one of film's greatest decades, the 70s, and has become an enduring and iconic figure in the world of American movies. Born on April 25th, 1940 in New York City, Pacino's parents (Salvatore and Rose) divorced when he was young. His mother moved them into his grandparents' house. Pacino found himself often repeating the plots and voices of characters who he had seen in the movies, one of his favorite activities. Bored and unmotivated in school, the young Al Pacino found a haven in school plays, and his interest soon blossomed into a full-time career. Starting on the stage, Pacino went through a lengthy period of depression and poverty, sometimes having to borrow bus fare to make it to auditions. He made it into the prestigious Actors Studio in 1966, studying under the legendary acting coach Lee Strasberg, creator of the Method Approach that would become the trademark of many 70s era actors. Making appearances in various plays, Pacino finally hit it big with "The Indian Wants the Bronx", winning an Obie award for the 1966-67 season. Gaining notoriety on the theater scene, Pacino then won the Tony Award for "Does the Tiger Wear a Necktie?". His first feature films made little departure from the gritty realistic stage performances that earned him respect: he played a junkie in Me, Natalie (1969) and Panic in Needle Park, The (1971). What would come next would change his life forever.

The part of Michael Corleone in Godfather, The (1972) was one of the most sought-after roles in film history. Robert Redford, Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson, 'Ryan ONeal, Robert De Niro, and a host of others were bandied about for the role, but director Francis Ford Coppola had his heart set on the unknown Italian Pacino. From the studio, to the producers, to the cast on down, nobody else wanted Al Pacino. Though Coppola won out through slick persuasion, Pacino was in constant fear of being fired and replaced at any minute during the hellish shoot. But the role was a career-making hit, and earned him his first Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor. Instead of taking on easier projects for money, Pacino threw his support behind tough important films, such as the true life crime drama Serpico (1973) and the tragic real life bank robbery film Dog Day Afternoon (1975). Pacino opened eyes around the film world for his brave choice of roles; and he was nominated three consecutive years for the "Best Actor" Academy Award. He faltered slightly with Bobby Deerfield (1977), but regained his stride with the law film ...And Justice for All (1979), for which he received another Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. This would unfortunately signal one of the only bad points in his career, one that produced the flops Cruising (1980) and Author! Author! (1982). He took on another vicious gangster role and cemented his legendary status in the ultra-violent Scarface (1983), but a monumental mistake was about to follow. Revolution (1985) endured an endless and seemingly cursed shoot in which equipment was destroyed, weather was terrible, and Pacino became terribly ill with pneumonia. Constant changes in the script also further derailed an already terrible project. The Revolutionary War film is considered one of the worst films ever, gained Pacino his first truly awful reviews, and kept him out of movies for the next four years.

Returning to the stage, Pacino has done much to give back and contribute to the theatre, which he considers his first love. He directed a film Local Stigmatic, The (1989) but it remains unreleased to the public. His self-imposed exile lifted, he returned in striking form in Sea of Love (1989) as a hard-drinking cop. The film marks the second phase of Pacino's career, the first film to feature his now famous dark, owl eyes and hoarse, gravelly voice. Making a return to the Corleones he made Godfather: Part III, The (1990), and earned raves for his first comedic role in the colorful Dick Tracy (1990). This earned him another Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor, and two years later he was nominated for Glengarry Glen Ross (1992). He went into romantic mode for Frankie and Johnny (1991). In 1992 he finally won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his amazing performance in Scent of a Woman (1992). A mix of technical perfection (he plays a blind man) and charisma, the role was tailor-made for him, and remains a classic. The next few years would see Pacino becoming more comfortable with acting and movies as a business, turning out great roles in great films with more frequency and less of the demanding personal involvement of his wilder days. Carlito's Way (1993) proved another gangster classic, as did the epic crime drama Heat (1995) directed by Michael Mann. He returned to the director's chair for the highly acclaimed and quirky Shakespeare adaptation Looking for Richard (1996). City Hall (1996), Donnie Brasco (1997), and Devil's Advocate, The (1997) all came out in this period. Reteaming with Mann and then Oliver Stone, he gave two commanding performances in Insider, The (1999) and Any Given Sunday (1999).

In his personal life, Pacino is one of Hollywood's most enduring and notorious bachelors, having never been married. He has a daughter Julie Marie with acting teacher Jan Tarrant, and a new set of twins with long-time girlfriend Beverly D'Angelo. His romantic history includes a long-time romance with Godfather co-star Diane Keaton. With his intense and gritty performances, Pacino was an original in the acting profession. His Method approach would become the process of many actors throughout time, and his unbeatable number of classic roles has already made him a legend among film buffs and all aspiring actors and directors. His commitment to acting as a profession and his constant screen dominance has established him as one of movies' legends.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/11/05 01:31 AM

Thanks for that bio DC. Did ya know that he has the same birthday as my hubby?

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/11/05 03:39 PM

OK, let's take some bets here : How many times do you think AFS has read this topic? I think that she now knows it by heart!

I also heard a rumor that AFS has been looking for someone to take a contract out on Beverly DeAngelo! Is this true Afs?

I did it for you Afs, I did it for you!

Don Cardi
Posted By: AngelaMarie

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/11/05 04:06 PM

I'd like to know who Jan Tarrant is (an actress??) And what does she look like? How old is his daughter?

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/11/05 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaMarie:
I'd like to know who Jan Tarrant is (an actress??) And what does she look like? How old is his daughter?
I don't think that she is an actress as it only lists Beverly DeAngelo as an actress.

Don Cardi
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/11/05 05:53 PM

Gee, Thanks Don Cardi! This is the second time I'm reading this, sorry I did not thank you earlier, I was busy at work.

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/11/05 06:07 PM

Af's

I bet you know everything there is to know about good ol Al.

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/11/05 06:49 PM

Well Mig, not such a long time ago in one of my posts on reviewing a movie I said "Pacing is not too short nor too long". A fellow member said he thought I was saying "Pacino is not too short nor too long" and he mentioned that he definitely didn't think I was talking about how tall he was but you know, the other thing! :p Man, I wish I knew this detail about him as well, but that, I'm yet to find out. :p

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/11/05 07:42 PM

Well he has kids at least you know it works. :rolleyes:
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/11/05 07:51 PM

Cardi, where'd ya quote that from (assuming you did)?

I wouldn't class Pacino as the original Method actor. In fact, he's never occurred to me as a Method actor. Not like (to name two obvious choices) Brando or De Niro.

He entertains me, anyway.

Mick
Posted By: angiez23

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/11/05 07:52 PM

5´6???, wow I thought he was atleast 5´7 hahaa.

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/11/05 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:

I wouldn't class Pacino as the original Method actor. In fact, he's never occurred to me as a Method actor. Not like (to name two obvious choices) Brando or De Niro.

Mick
Mick,

Actually I did some internet searching for the info. As for being a method actor, I believe that while training under Lee Strasberg aka Hyman Roth at the "Actor's Studio" school, the style of acting that he was trained in was method acting. A side note for anyone who may be interested ; Pacino attended the Lee Strasberg school which is known as 'The Actor's Studio." Strasberg taught Pacino many mehtods when it came to acting. Strasberg mostly did broadway and live acting. The thing I find Ironic is that a GREAT actor and acting teacher such as Strasberg taught Pacino and yet is was Pacino who helped get him the role as Hyan Roth in GFII.

Don Cardi

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/11/05 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:

Mick
Funny thing is, although I know and it is obvious to me that Pacino is a method actor, De Niro never got to me as one. And ironically I like De Niro better when he does comedy. *Running for cover* :p
Posted By: JustMe

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/14/05 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaMarie:
She's acting teacher.
His daughter is now 15.
Posted By: Don Zadjali

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/15/05 11:03 AM

Thank you Don Cardi for the biography...

Al Pacino is my FAV ACTOR
Posted By: Liz_85

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/16/05 01:55 PM

For those interested, there is a book published on Pacino.
It's called A Life on the Wire, by Andrew Yule. It can be hard to get, but it's worth the read. It goes up to when he's filming Scent of a Woman, so there's no mention of his Oscar win or the last 10 years, but a good insight into his 'bad boy' days.
Posted By: Aziatic

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/16/05 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz_85:
For those interested, there is a book published on Pacino.
It's called A Life on the Wire, by Andrew Yule. It can be hard to get, but it's worth the read. It goes up to when he's filming Scent of a Woman, so there's no mention of his Oscar win or the last 10 years, but a good insight into his 'bad boy' days.
Yea that book is great, unfortunately the only one on Al Pacino. I couldnt stop reading once I started. Its a very good read. Interesting the chapters on the comparisons between him and Dustin Hoffman... A MUST-READ for every Pacino fan

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/16/05 02:09 PM

A life On A Wire -

Amazon has it. You can click on a link to Amazon from this site and then do a search by typing in A Life On A Wire by Andrew Yule.

Don Cardi
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/17/05 06:40 PM

I just cant believe someone as great as Al Pacino would end up with the actor whose biggest roles were as Chevy Chase's wife in all those National Lampoon Vacation flicks.
Posted By: JustMe

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/18/05 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dontomasso:
I just cant believe someone as great as Al Pacino would end up with the actor whose biggest roles were as Chevy Chase's wife in all those National Lampoon Vacation flicks.
Well, actually, it's not about the quality of acting... :rolleyes:

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/18/05 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dontomasso:
FYI, he has not ended up with anyone just yet!

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/19/05 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by afsaneh77:
[quote]Originally posted by dontomasso:
[b] I just cant believe someone as great as Al Pacino would end up with the actor whose biggest roles were as Chevy Chase's wife in all those National Lampoon Vacation flicks.
FYI, he has not ended up with anyone just yet! [/b][/quote]I wonder why he hasn't ended up with anyone yet?

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/19/05 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mignon:
I wonder why he hasn't ended up with anyone yet?
I have a right to remain silent.

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/20/05 04:21 AM

So your gonna plea the 5th huh?

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/20/05 05:41 AM

I hear Shrek telling me, "you have the right to remain silent donkey, what you lack is the capacity". It is so basic, I don't even need the 5th if I had the brain. :p
Posted By: beatlewho01-02

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/20/05 03:48 PM

Well, Beverly D'Angelo played Patsy Cline in Coal Miner's Daughter. That's a good role, even if it was a minor one. Too bad the ever-so stupid Vacation movies surpassed her only good acting. What the heck happened between her and Al after the twins were born?
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Al Pacino Biography - 06/20/05 06:53 PM

I think they had a really bitter blow out.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET