Home

Biggest legend in music history

Posted By: Signore Sole Aumentante

Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 03:48 AM

Who is the biggest legend in music history? Several of the biggest legends in different genres are listed.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 03:51 AM

I voted Jimi Hendrix. I'm a guitarist, and when it comes to my type of music, and when it comes to guitars, there's no one better. Jimi is in a class of his own, and cannot be compared to anybody (guitar wise, that is).
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 03:57 AM

John Lennon
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 03:58 AM

I voted Frank Sinatra, but Elvis was a close second. I think they're pretty much tied for first. The rest don't even compare, IMO.

You left the Beatles out, though (all together, not just John Lennon). I still prefer Frank and Elvis over the Beatles, but I know other people on this board think different.
Posted By: Patrick

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 03:59 AM

I obviously voted for Tupac, but I'm curious. This is now the second thread that you've excluded his last name and put in everyone else's. Why is this?
Posted By: Don Leporeleone

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 04:02 AM

I Voted Sinatra, you shoulda put Joe Pesci, his cd was off tha hook

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 04:07 AM

^ My Cousin Vinny was a classic.... haha I'm joking.

Tupac's last name, I don't know how to spell it or sound it out. I guess I could just do a google search to figure it out... but... what is it? Shakir or Shakur or something?

I'm surprised Sinatra's recieved three votes in addition to mine, even though I feel he's the obvious choice. Elvis was a close second for me as well. Then Buddy Holly and Kurt Cobain aren't that far behind either.

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Signore Sole Aumentante:
Tupac's last name, I don't know how to spell it or sound it out. I guess I could just do a google search to figure it out... but... what is it? Shakir or Shakur or something?
Shakur...
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 04:12 AM

Pat, it's not like some bias against him or anything... he's referred to as "Tupac" a lot, while the other choices are always referred to with their full names. You even have him as just "2Pac" in your signature. It's like Madonna or Cher.

I just realized the absurdity of that last sentence.

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 04:16 AM

I'm just an organization freak. Every other name has a last name to it. It just looks bad. The Kurt Cobain Vs. Tupac thread also bugs me.
Posted By: Nice Guy Eddie

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 05:40 AM

Posted By: Freddie C.

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 05:41 AM

I say Elivs, even though I'm not that big of a fan. But after all, he is the king of rock and roll.
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nice Guy Eddie:
Elvis got my vote as well. I may not be a fan of his music, but there is no denying the fact that he left one hell of a memory.
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 06:22 AM

I voted for John Lennon (Obviously) Though that's not entirely fair. It should be John Lennon/Paul McCartney. In the Beatles they each did a fair share of masterpieces. Plus Paul (In My Opinion)had a slightly better solo career. But They were all good after the Beatles. (Not so much Ringo, excluding It Dont Come Easy and Photograph)

Bottom Line: John is great but dont ever forget the equally talented Paul.

The Doc
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 07:14 AM

To me, "legend" implies enduring influence, fame, notoriety, public obsession. If you accept that definition, Elvis wins, hands-down. Hendrix is my personal favorite "legend."
Interestingly enough, Buddy Holly was probably the greatest influence on the "British Invasion" that shaped rock music for decades. His death in a plane crash added greatly to his "legend."
Posted By: SC

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
To me, "legend" implies enduring influence, fame, notoriety, public obsession. If you accept that definition, Elvis wins, hands-down.
Hmmm, I accept that definition, but for me it defines Sinatra better.

Old Blue Eyes is #1, Elvis the Pelvis is #2.
Posted By: M.M. Floors

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 10:32 AM

Hendrix, simply the best in his type of music
Posted By: Krlea

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 12:15 PM

I'd love to say Sinatra, but it's definetly Elvis.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 12:21 PM

Elvis
Lennon
Buddy Holly
Bob Marley

Posted By: Scarface.1

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 01:05 PM

may i ask where is bob dylan? in my opinion he is a bigger legend than lennon because he has stood the test of time and in my opinion is the best song writer in history
Posted By: Nice Guy Eddie

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 01:46 PM

Looks like the pic I posted disappeared. I voted for Elvis.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 02:05 PM

I love Sinatra, who I've appreciated more as time went on, and Lennon was fantastic, but my vote went for Elvis, because I think his impact is phenomenal. Even years after his death, this guy is still making money, and not forgotten.

I was looking for one of his 68 Comeback Special, but couldn't find the right picture. Something about that black leather eh? Anyway, this is a good pic too.

TIS
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Krlea:
I'd love to say Sinatra, but it's definetly Elvis.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Elvis had top selling hits in many different styles of music (Rock and Roll, Gospel, Country, etc.) and was and still is a legend around the world. Sinatra definately a very very close second.

Don Cardi
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 02:47 PM

Frank Sinatra for me. I love his heavenly voice.

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 09:35 PM

I suppose I should have added Elton John and Michael Jackson to the list, but I didn't think about them. Elton John has had a pretty impressive career, which I'd say equals John Lennon's. Maybe I could have done The Beatles instead of Lennon, but I wanted the one legend... otherwise I would have had to have put Nirvana along with Cobain, etc.

Sinatra and Elvis I think are quite ahead of the pack, with number three being fairly distant.
Posted By: Caporegime

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 10:01 PM

Frank Sinatra
Posted By: goombah

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 10:06 PM

That was quite a list. I personally can't justify putting Cobain & Tupac in there with such stalwarts as Elvis, Lennon & Hendrix. And where was Bob Dylan?

My vote was for "other" signifying Bruce Springsteen. He's been releasing albums since 1973 and is as relevant today as he ever was at any point during his career.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/29/05 10:55 PM

Mozart.

Mick
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/30/05 12:26 AM

Country music sadly excluded from the list. Johnny Cash certainly deserves some votes.

tony b.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/30/05 01:45 AM

Patrick: Some people don't need a last name.

This is more like a who's your favorite legend. "Who is the biggest legend in music history?" Pavaroti. I'd say he weighed about 350. :p

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/30/05 09:54 PM

Damn I forgot about Johnny Cash, too. Oh well.

Quote:
That was quite a list. I personally can't justify putting Cobain & Tupac in there with such stalwarts as Elvis, Lennon & Hendrix. And where was Bob Dylan?
I think Cobain is justified in a list of 8-10, but yes Elvis is light years and light years ahead of him. I agree with you about Tupac but I didn't want to get in an argument with Patrick.

Quote:
My vote was for "other" signifying Bruce Springsteen. He's been releasing albums since 1973 and is as relevant today as he ever was at any point during his career.
In my opinion this statement was basically contradicting your first statement. I don't think he's been important to any genre, I mean... every person on the list was important to their genre and music history as a whole (except for one), and Bruce Springsteen isn't. I think Cobain is just table scraps compared to Elvis and Sinatra, but I think compared to Springsteen he's the one who's light years ahead.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/30/05 11:06 PM

I think Ozzy Osbourne should have been on this list. Black Sabbath basically invented heavy metal, which has been a staple in rock music for over 35 years. Bands ranging from Metallica to Rage Against the Machine have cited Black Sabbath as their biggest influence. Without Sabbath, there wouldn't be a heavy metal, there'd be no Metallica, etc. I am going on the record as saying Ozzy Osbourne deserves to be mentioned in the same regard as Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley.

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/31/05 12:02 AM

Quote:
I agree with you about Tupac but I didn't want to get in an argument with Patrick.
There would've been hell to pay.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/31/05 12:59 PM

Quote:
In my opinion this statement was basically contradicting your first statement. I don't think he's been important to any genre, I mean... every person on the list was important to their genre and music history as a whole (except for one), and Bruce Springsteen isn't. I think Cobain is just table scraps compared to Elvis and Sinatra, but I think compared to Springsteen he's the one who's light years ahead. [/QUOTE]

Not to get into a whole thing here b/c one's man coffee is another man's tea. Music is all about opinion. I'll agree that Cobain was partly responsible for starting the grunge genre, no doubt. And Nirvana's music spawned all kinds of imitators. But it's not that different from punk rock in that it fizzled out after about 10 years. And I have a difficult time putting a guy like Cobain in simply for the fact that he only has a few albums out.
Springsteen might not have pioneered a new sound. His was a blend of Phil Spector/Creedence/Dylan. But his stage presence was, and is, unmatched. And that's part of his legacy. In his younger days, the guy would give a 4 hour show for almost an entire 100 city tour. And that was sometimes preceded by a 2 hour soundcheck. Today, he "only" gives 3 hour shows. No performer has given as much of him/herself on stage than the Boss.
In addition, he wrote thematic albums, instead of just a collection of songs. For every 1 song he released, he had 4 that he recorded for the same album. "Born in the USA" was 12 songs and 60 were written for the record. He honed his craft to a fine science. Springsteen gave away songs that others would build albums around: "Fire," "Because the Night," "Light of Day," "Pink Cadillac," and "The Fever" to name but a few.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/31/05 05:34 PM

I voted for Other because I didn't want to limit The Beatles to just John Lennon. So my vote went for Other which equates to my vote counting for The Beatles

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/31/05 10:20 PM

Even though I already posted i felt the need to clarify:

John Lennon/Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan are the best.

The Doc
Posted By: Cancerkitty

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 02/01/05 03:36 AM

I voted for Sinatra, but everyone's Elvis arguements are pretty compelling here, especially the one about him doing so well in multiple genres. That's something no one else on the this really did here.

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 06/07/05 12:25 PM

Is this what you are thinking of TIS

Im not gay but,ill admit that he looks great in this suit,no one has ever looked better in anything like this before
Posted By: Snake

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 06/07/05 04:35 PM

I, too, voted for "Other," because I personally think Robert Plant and Jimmy Page set the stage for the music that followed in the '70s and '80s (and can never be duplicated). And there's no doubt in my mind that Page is the best guitarist EVER.
Posted By: don vencent

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 06/07/05 08:44 PM

Tupac gets my vote put all of them are legends
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 06/07/05 09:49 PM

I voted for Frank Sinatra. His contribtion to music and to film is uncomperable. He gave us great roles in films like "The Manchurian Candidate" and "The Man with the Golden Arm" and even won an Oscar for "From Here To Eternity". In fact, I feel he was the only redeming factor for a film which I found shallow and pointless. But that's nothing.

Oh, i forgot. He was and remains the single greatest entertainer to this day. Just look at him with the Rat Pack or solo in Concert. If any of you have a live CD of his, he was a funny man.

He also is the single greatest singer ever... He interpreted a lyric so that you could feel immmense joy and passion. But on the other side he could sing a torch song unlike nobody. He could sing a song like "One For My Baby" and you could swear that you just heard an entire lifetime of pain and sorrow.

He also created his own record label which found success until it's merger with Warner's Records. he even conduced albums for other entertainers!

Face it. There's not an entertainer who could pull this off!

Elvis is a good second place...

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/17/07 12:54 AM

Its Still

Lennon
Elvis
Paul McCartney
Bob Marley
Buddy Holly

And Cliff Richard
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/17/07 01:25 AM

Chuck Berry and BB King are conspicuously missing, as are other groups like the Temptations. All had key roles to play in this rock-and-roll journey.

However, imho, no doubt it is Elvis. Sure, Ol' Blue Eyes was a crooner, and the best of his generation, but if we're talking about pure influence and impact on the musical genre, then by far and away, Elvis blended the negro-rock of the time with his Gospel voice, making the exclusively black music acceptable across racial lines.

A close second would be The Beatles, since obviously they're impact is overwhelming. But Elvis made rock-and-roll, well, rock.

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/17/07 01:29 AM

Oh the good old days..

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/17/07 01:41 AM

There was Music before electric.

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/17/07 01:48 AM

Well we like this music.with around 99% of the world.

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/17/07 02:06 AM

Warren Zevon.

The Doc
Posted By: Obsessed With The GodFather

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/17/07 02:14 AM

] Elvis & Cash Right Along Side Each Other As The Biggest Legend In Music History!

Posted By: klydon1

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/17/07 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Double-J
Chuck Berry and BB King are conspicuously missing, as are other groups like the Temptations. All had key roles to play in this rock-and-roll journey.

However, imho, no doubt it is Elvis. Sure, Ol' Blue Eyes was a crooner, and the best of his generation, but if we're talking about pure influence and impact on the musical genre, then by far and away, Elvis blended the negro-rock of the time with his Gospel voice, making the exclusively black music acceptable across racial lines.

A close second would be The Beatles, since obviously they're impact is overwhelming. But Elvis made rock-and-roll, well, rock.

Ditto for me.
Posted By: hova4ever9

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/17/07 05:26 AM

Elvis or Bob Dylan

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/17/07 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Well we like this music.with around 99% of the world.
I like Music. Love it, in fact. I'm not sure what "this" music is, but the chances are I might like that too. But "Music History" is too broad a scope to restrict to 20th century performers.

Though this thread does bring up unintended questions about the whole myth placed around icons and so-called legends...

If Music existed before electric, did Legends?

Re: Biggest legend in music history - 01/19/07 01:11 AM

He has some good sounds as well
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET