Home

Your Favorite Comedy team?

Posted By: Don Cardi

Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 02:21 AM

What is your favorite comedy team? Martin and Lewis, Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, etc.?

I love Abbott and Costello!

Don Cardi
Posted By: Don Leporeleone

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 02:25 AM

adam sandler is whole "crew" of people that are always in his movies.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
What is your favorite comedy team?

I love Abbott and Costello!

Don Cardi
I agree 100% they are my favorite. I got a alot of their movies.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 03:44 AM

By far, the comedy trio of the Three Stooges was perhaps the finest vaudevillian product ever to be seen (we're referring to the stuff during the late Ted Healy years w/ Shemp, the original years with Curly at Columbia, and afterwards at Columbia with Shemp).

There was nobody that did slapstick better, and they made it an art. I give props to Abbott and Costello, and Laurel and Hardy, but they, imho, cannot even begin to compare with the Three Stooges, especially considering their longevity and appeal that continues to reign even into 2004, more than half a century later.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 04:33 AM

Probably Adam Sanderl and his "crew" and then Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith aka Jay and Silent Bob
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 05:43 AM

I like Abbott & Costello and Laurel & Hardy, but unlike most of you, I don't care for the Three Stooges. Sorry! I do like the Marx Brothers corny comedy though. And although, not a team, and I haven't seen a whole lot of his movies, W.C. Fields was good as well.

TIS
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
By far, the comedy trio of the Three Stooges was perhaps the finest vaudevillian product ever to be seen (we're referring to the stuff during the late Ted Healy years w/ Shemp, the original years with Curly at Columbia, and afterwards at Columbia with Shemp).

There was nobody that did slapstick better, and they made it an art. I give props to Abbott and Costello, and Laurel and Hardy, but they, imho, cannot even begin to compare with the Three Stooges, especially considering their longevity and appeal that continues to reign even into 2004, more than half a century later.
This is getting scary now. First the Beatles, now The Stooges! Damn. Tell me again why we hate each other?

I LOVE the stooges. THey invented humor in my opinion. Facial expressions alone and slapstick. The Sultans of Slapstick. I just bought a 12 disc DVD set of Amazon with about 75 of their shorts. Ever see this JJ? If not, I highly suggest it. It's great.

Doc
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 09:19 AM

Martin and Lewis take the cake IMO. I know there's another team that I absolutely love, but damned if I can remember right now... too much martini in me at the moment.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 09:40 AM

Wait, no fans of comedy yet mention MONTY PYTHON???

Pathetic! I fart in your general direction!
Posted By: SC

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 09:54 AM

Its a hard choice for me.... Abbott & Costello OR The Three Stooges.

The Stooges' "Woman Haters" (1934) was probably the best short film (20 minutes) I've EVER seen. It was their first short together, and its done completely in rhyme. Its absolutely stupendous. They did some great satire (mostly of Hitler) and their early stuff (the mid 30's) was as good as it gets.

I would've loved to have seen Abbott & Costello do some of their routines live. Their "Who's on First" is the best comedy routine I've ever seen and they did a few others ("Niagara Falls" and "Susquehanna Hats") that were superb. They did three movies that I NEVER tire of watching - "Hold That Ghost", "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" and my personal favorite, "The Time of Their Lives".

Some of Laurel & Hardy's stuff was awesome, and The Marx Brothers were aces with their anarchy. Props, too, to Martin & Lewis.... they were a great duo!
Posted By: M.M. Floors

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 01:42 PM

Raoul Heertje en Acda de Munnik. Probably you don't know them but what the heck. It's my opinion.
Posted By: don vencent

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
Probably Adam Sanderl and his "crew" and then Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith aka Jay and Silent Bob
same here

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 08:22 PM

This is the greatest thing I have ever bought. I suggest it to any Stooge fan. It's just got SO many shorts. And SC, it has Women Haters too.

Three Stooges Collection

Doc
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/04/04 11:02 PM

Laurel and Hardy without a doubt. If there was a doubt, it'd be the Marx Brothers.

Mick
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/05/04 12:59 AM

Laural and Hardy
Morecobme and Wise (britains Best Duo)
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/05/04 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
Laurel and Hardy without a doubt. If there was a doubt, it'd be the Marx Brothers.

Mick
You sure French & Saunders isn't your favorite writing team? And Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley as actresses? I'm shocked, Mick. Truly shocked.
Posted By: beatlewho01-02

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/05/04 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
Wait, no fans of comedy yet mention MONTY PYTHON???

Pathetic! I fart in your general direction!
I second that. Those guys are all out funny.

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/05/04 03:15 AM

DonFerro - I just wish they would digitize ALL of the Stooges shorts and movies; it's a shame that only 75 are available, when there were over 200+ total, and an insane other amounts of independant projects, Ted Healy movies ("Soup to Nuts," for example), War Bond ads, etc.

A few years ago I picked up a copy of the out-of-print and relatively rare Moe Howard autobiography, but I am still unable to find a reasonble price on a copy of the Larry Fine autobiography for less than $300 at the online bookstores. It is very rare, and was written by Larry with assistance of his brother, if I recall, because of Larry's stroke and other medical problems. It's entitled, "A Stroke of Luck," and I would absolutely love to get my hands on a copy.
Posted By: Mr. Baggins

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/05/04 03:18 AM

What about Monty Python? I'll take them over the three stooges any day (although the stooges are pretty funny).

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/05/04 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Baggins:
What about Monty Python? I'll take them over the three stooges any day (although the stooges are pretty funny).
They had two different styles, but what did Python do that was so innovative? The Stooges essentially brought slapstick comedy to mainstream, and have been virtually inimitable for over 60 years. There performances are timeless, and quite frankly, showcase 4 (ultimately Moe, Shemp, and Jerome "Curly" Howard, and Larry Fine) of the greatest comedic minds of all-time.
Posted By: Cancerkitty

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/05/04 03:58 AM

Marx Brothers, no contest.

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/05/04 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
DonFerro - I just wish they would digitize ALL of the Stooges shorts and movies; it's a shame that only 75 are available, when there were over 200+ total, and an insane other amounts of independant projects, Ted Healy movies ("Soup to Nuts," for example), War Bond ads, etc.

A few years ago I picked up a copy of the out-of-print and relatively rare Moe Howard autobiography, but I am still unable to find a reasonble price on a copy of the Larry Fine autobiography for less than $300 at the online bookstores. It is very rare, and was written by Larry with assistance of his brother, if I recall, because of Larry's stroke and other medical problems. It's entitled, "A Stroke of Luck," and I would absolutely love to get my hands on a copy.
Hmmm. Boy I wish I could get a copy of these. They sound great. If you ever ind anything out, let me know.

Doc
Posted By: bogey

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/05/04 04:16 AM

I have to choose? I like so many: Three Stooges, Marx Brothers, Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Monty Python, Jay and Silent Bob...

But I suppose if I HAD to choose, I'd pick the Marx Brothers.. I can't get enough of them.
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/06/04 08:42 AM

Laurel and Hardy for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/06/04 02:00 PM

Not to get caught up in semantics or hair-splitting definitions, but I would consider Monty Python an ensemble, like Second City TV or Saturday Night Live.

When you think of comedy teams, a duo is usually what comes to mind or the Stooges and the Marx Bros.

All previous teams are great, but who could forget Burns and Allen, Stiller and Meara, Rowan and Martin, Allen and Rossi. Ed Sullivan always had one of those 'teams' on, but my heart belongs to the Stooges. I never missed them as a kid.

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/06/04 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MaryCas:
Rowan and Martin
If I recall, the "Laugh-In's" are still on TV, I can't remember which channel though.
Posted By: Krlea

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/06/04 07:51 PM

Bert & Ernie
Posted By: Chancre

Re: Your Favorite Comedy team? - 12/07/04 01:14 AM

Husband and wife team -- Nichols and May!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET