Home

Is there any law against setting up a personal investment group?

Posted By: Robert DeNiro

Is there any law against setting up a personal investment group? - 11/05/04 11:09 PM

I run a couple of different business that are are successful. I am looking to expand and I thought of setting up an investment company that allows people to invest in my companies thus helping me grow. They would be strictly investing in my companies only.

Are there some sort of laws against setting something like this up?
Posted By: fathersson

Re: Is there any law against setting up a personal investment group? - 11/06/04 12:57 AM

So You "run a couple of different business that are successful" and you are asking us if this is legal.
Aren't you the same guy that called Kerry the winner?
You don't seem investment worthy to me.

You do know that lemonade stands and garage sales do not count as businesses

Why don't you call your lawyer or accountant for the answers rather then ask a internet board for something this important!
Posted By: Robert DeNiro

Re: Is there any law against setting up a personal investment group? - 11/06/04 01:39 AM

wow, harsh reply. My call of the election was just a internet posting made by an ordinary person who does not have any major political background much like yourself. It was an opinion and if you're pissed off about the outcome or whatever, you dont need to take it out on me.

The reason I came here first is so that if some ordinary regular folks can tell me its not something that can be done then I dont have to waste a few hundred dollars on an attorney.

So whatever is up your as*, please remove it before replying to one of my posts next time.

Re: Is there any law against setting up a personal investment group? - 11/06/04 01:56 AM

Not harsh my friend, Making a opoint in a joking maner, But since you cry like a little boy, I guess I will spell it out to you:
You are as dumb as I just hinted at in a JOKING manner.

The reason I came here first is so that if some ordinary regular folks can tell me its not something that can be done then I dont have to waste a few hundred dollars on an attorney.

You don't want to waste a few hundred dollars? you are kidding aren't you. You say you are a business man. You are a fool my friend.And just asking something like this show me that for sure. and I am wondering if you are even telling the truth.

By the way I wasn't taking anything out on you, You mad a fool of yourself by making that statement. Two strikes and now three pal. You are the weakest link, GOODBYE
Posted By: SC

Re: Is there any law against setting up a personal investment group? - 11/06/04 02:13 AM

FS -

Some of your points (for lack of a better word) would best be suited for a Private Message. Calling someone dumb or a fool because he doesn't share your views is not acceptable. Either take the wiseass remarks off the board or stop them completely.

Re: Is there any law against setting up a personal investment group? - 11/06/04 02:21 AM

don't worry SC I'm done.....just couldn't find a nicer word after I tried the first time in a joking maner.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Is there any law against setting up a personal investment group? - 11/06/04 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert DeNiro:
I run a couple of different business that are are successful. I am looking to expand and I thought of setting up an investment company that allows people to invest in my companies thus helping me grow. They would be strictly investing in my companies only.

Are there some sort of laws against setting something like this up?
I doesn't sound like a monopoly.

I don't see why, if you wanted to have some kind of IPO (or some kind of public offering) you couldn't do that...?

Then again, I know little of corporate investment laws, you'd be better off consulting someone who is educated in that specific field.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Is there any law against setting up a personal investment group? - 11/06/04 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fathersson:
don't worry SC I'm done.....
I've heard that before, wiseass. Stop it, or take it elsewhere. I'm serious.
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Is there any law against setting up a personal investment group? - 11/06/04 11:34 AM

I don't think there are any laws against setting up such a company. But evidently if you are going to set up an investment club you might need to register it with Securities and Exchange Commission.

An investment club must register with the SEC as an investment company under the Investment Company Act of 1940 if all of the following three conditions apply:
the club invests in securities,
The club issues membership interests that are securities, and
The club is not able to rely on an exclusion from the definition of investment company.
For example, a "private investment company" may not need to register with the SEC. To qualify, an investment club
1-must not make, nor propose to make, a public offering of its securities, and
2-must not have more than 100 members.

Source:

One way or another you are going to need to talk to an attorney. But following this link might give you some insight about Investment Company Act of 1940 .
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET