Home

ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb

Posted By: OakAsFan

ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/29/18 08:01 PM

See ya.

Her talent agency dropped her, too.

"ABC cancels 'Roseanne' after star's racist Twitter rant"

ABC canceled its hit sitcom "Roseanne" on Tuesday after the show's biggest star, Roseanne Barr, went on a racist Twitter rant.
"Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show," ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said in a statement.

Disney CEO Bob Iger added on Twitter that "There was only one thing to do here, and that was the right thing."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/media/roseanne-twitter-chelsea-clinton/index.html
Posted By: The_Rooster

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/29/18 08:52 PM

Good for her, she spoke what she felt....Freedom of Speech...and shes still rich
Posted By: The_Rooster

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/29/18 08:52 PM

At least shes not fake.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/29/18 09:02 PM

If she spoke what she felt, she probably would have said., "Hey, I'm hungry!".

I think she was playing to the Trump base, which is also her show's target audience (or was). She thought she had carte blanche with this kind of speech since the show had good ratings.

....Boundaries for the win.
Posted By: Right_Pride

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/30/18 02:17 AM

She is an entertainer / comedian. Look at the shit blacks comedians and actors get away with saying about whites.
What she said was comedy and it was kind of funny. The lady she was speakaing about is wierd looking.
Posted By: SC

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/30/18 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Right_Pride
What she said was comedy and it was kind of funny.

I didn't find it funny at all. It was plain mean.
Posted By: BlackFamily

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/30/18 03:17 AM

She is an entertainer / comedian. Look at the shit blacks comedians and actors get away with saying about whites.
What she said was comedy and it was kind of funny. The lady she was speakaing about is wierd looking.

Perhaps you would understand if you were you know.....Black.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/30/18 07:02 PM

It's funny. I could list, off the top of my head, dozens of jokes about Irish people on American network TV that are as vitriolic as what Roseanne said, but nobody gives a shit because Irish people are white, and they laugh off what is, basically, racism.

I know it's different for blacks but Irish people were historically treated like shit, too, until the 60's, and even then, the bigotry continued under Kennedy's presidency.

On the one hand I think black people should relax a little; after all slavery and segregation ended a long time ago. On the other, I think what Roseanne said was hideous but it's not really much worse than some of the stuff you see said about Irish people ; so what, is there a hierarchy of racism?

Turn on Fox News and any given day there'll be a bigoted remark about Irish (Kilmeade, Shepard Smith) but life will go on.

I also recall Kilmeade making bigoted remarks about Italians, too, but Joe Colombo isn't around anymore, so what can you do.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/30/18 07:05 PM

Didn't Tim Allen have a successful show taken off the air because of his political views?

I'm not for one second suggesting there is an agenda against Roseanne because she's a Trump supporter...

It's funny. Stephen King has said much more disgusting things about Trump, his wife, and his daughter, yet CBS and NBC have him promoting his books on their shows.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/30/18 07:05 PM

The lady she was speakaing about is wierd looking.

Rosanne calling anyone weird looking is a joke unto itself. Roseanne looks like a cross between Adolf Hitler and Grimace.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/30/18 07:09 PM

You do realize that ALL of Stephen King's books are about the Trump presidency, don't you?

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/30/18 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by OakAsFan
The lady she was speakaing about is wierd looking.

Rosanne calling anyone weird looking is a joke unto itself. Roseanne looks like a cross between Adolf Hitler and Grimace.

This reminds me of the body shaming comments levelled towards Hillary Clinton and Obama donor, Harvey Weinstein.

I love the hypocrisy. It's okay to call some people ugly, but God forbid they are black and an Obama supporter, in which case their "ugliness" will be appropriated for virtue signalling purposes by white knights.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/30/18 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by OakAsFan
You do realize that ALL of Stephen King's books are about the Trump presidency, don't you?

His most recent was criticised in the press for tackily, and clumsily, alluding to the Trump regime, if that's what you mean.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/30/18 07:15 PM

I agree. Harvey Weinstein looks almost as bad as Roseanne.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/30/18 07:15 PM

The Shining is thoroughly about Trump.
Posted By: RollinBones

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/30/18 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
It's funny. I could list, off the top of my head, dozens of jokes about Irish people on American network TV that are as vitriolic as what Roseanne said, but nobody gives a shit because Irish people are white, and they laugh off what is, basically, racism.

I know it's different for blacks but Irish people were historically treated like shit, too, until the 60's, and even then, the bigotry continued under Kennedy's presidency.

On the one hand I think black people should relax a little; after all slavery and segregation ended a long time ago. On the other, I think what Roseanne said was hideous but it's not really much worse than some of the stuff you see said about Irish people ; so what, is there a hierarchy of racism?

Turn on Fox News and any given day there'll be a bigoted remark about Irish (Kilmeade, Shepard Smith) but life will go on.

I also recall Kilmeade making bigoted remarks about Italians, too, but Joe Colombo isn't around anymore, so what can you do.

Moe I'm not sure what history books you're reading but by the 1960's the Irish had completely taken over most police forces on the East coast, created extremely powerful political machines, some that exist to this day. Please tell me how they were being systematically oppressed in the 1960's. No offense, but the comparison you're trying to make is not even close man.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/30/18 08:59 PM

None taken. I was more referring to the turn of the century, but it's an oversight on my part if my post made it seem like I was drawing parallels between the Irish American experience in the 60's and the African American one.

Still, the fact that a Catholic and someone of Irish heritage was President was pretty unthinkable back then and a lot of people weren't happy about it.

It was probably the first climbing the ladder presidency, and last, until Obama got in.
Posted By: hoodlum

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/31/18 02:36 AM

I was born 5 days after JFK was killed,,& my parents were pro Kennedy 2 say the least ,being they were 100% Irish....off the boat...But....I know what his daddy was & a corrupt fuck that did not stop @ the forthcomings of what Joe wanted his sons 2 b..& provided the $$ 2 do so..he sided w/gangsters...providing $$ 2 win elections w/ mobsters..& so forth....In my eyes ...I love the Kennedys ..but I also loath them...& what a curse became of them...But...I cant stand rich fucks who use their power to accelerate their name into a politically oiled machine.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/31/18 03:12 AM

None taken. I was more referring to the turn of the century, but it's an oversight on my part if my post made it seem like I was drawing parallels between the Irish American experience in the 60's and the African American one.

Still, the fact that a Catholic and someone of Irish heritage was President was pretty unthinkable back then and a lot of people weren't happy about it.

It was probably the first climbing the ladder presidency, and last, until Obama got in.

Andrew Jackson, 7th President of the U.S, was the son of Irish immigrants. There were several more American presidents of Irish descent before Kennedy so it wasn't as unthinkable as you may want to believe. The Irish experienced some discrimination for a short while in the United States but trying to compare it to the history of Black people in America is a gross minimalization of the systematic racism that this country was built around, and the lasting effects that still exist today. It's really not in the same ballpark no matter which way you slice it.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/31/18 12:47 PM

Slavery ended in 1865 and Jim Crow laws ended in 1965. In many ways Blacks now have more rights than whites. There certainly is racial discrimination against whites when it comes to the media. Blacks seem to say whatever they want with impunity. There is such a double standard.
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/31/18 02:52 PM

@rightpride

Roseanne got her dumbass fired

You should feel sorry for her coworkers and not her

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/31/18 03:30 PM

I feel bad for Rosanne. She said something very wrong, no doubt. But for her to get such a backlash over a few WORDS !! Its totally bogus and quite frankly, alot of the backlash is nothing but phoney show boating.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/31/18 05:27 PM

Slavery ended in 1865 and Jim Crow laws ended in 1965. In many ways Blacks now have more rights than whites. There certainly is racial discrimination against whites when it comes to the media. Blacks seem to say whatever they want with impunity. There is such a double standard.

You wouldn't understand it because your not....
Black.
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/31/18 05:33 PM

@blackfamily

He understands, he just wants to pretend that he doesnt

@rightpride

She should've kept quiet about loving trump

Hollywood type deal with people from all walks of life

They're filthy rich so they don't feel the need to be Nazi

michele obama made some calls to get her fired....LOL

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/31/18 06:28 PM

Blackfamily
You have no idea what it is to be white. You have it easy. I wish i had all the preferential treatment blacks get on a daily basis.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/31/18 08:03 PM

Blackfamily
You have no idea what it is to be white. You have it easy. I wish i had all the preferential treatment blacks get on a daily basis.

Right_Pride
You have no idea how ironic and hypocritical your statement. The treatment I received isn't no red carpet nor special. When your culture been ridicule ( to put it lightly) ever since the formation of this country and not officially recognize as citizens then gain citizenship after being in a country over 80+ years then being treated as 2nd class. So on and so forth as they say.

Again x3
You wouldn't understand in another culture shoes like I don't relate to my parents fleeing Hitler, Mussolini, nor Irish Civil War.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/31/18 08:50 PM

My family as well as most everyone from italy came to this country well after slavery. Lets not forget about all the White people fighting to free the slaves during the civil war and got killed for blacks lives. People seem to forget that little part of history.
Blacks have certain priviledges that whites just dont have. You have it easy my friend. This is 2018, not 1845.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 05/31/18 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by RollinBones

Andrew Jackson, 7th President of the U.S, was the son of Irish immigrants. There were several more American presidents of Irish descent before Kennedy so it wasn't as unthinkable as you may want to believe. The Irish experienced some discrimination for a short while in the United States but trying to compare it to the history of Black people in America is a gross minimalization of the systematic racism that this country was built around, and the lasting effects that still exist today. It's really not in the same ballpark no matter which way you slice it.

Jackson was Scotch-Irish. That's totally different to Irish in terms of religion, culture, and economic status, although I understand the confusion.

The English tried to starve Irish people into extinction 150 years ago. It goes down in the history books as a "famine", but it was basically genocide.

Millions of people died and the "lucky" ones were forced to emigrate.

The English Prime Minister, Tony Blair, publicly apologised for it a few years ago.

Guess who the biggest contributors were to aid for the Irish people back then? Native Americans! People who didn't have a pot to piss in themselves, but then, they know what it's like to have their land stolen from them.

Basically what I'm saying is Irish were fucked over too even if the history books downplay it. You know what they say about the victors writing history.

Going from being forcibly starved out of their country to making an impact in judiciary, politics, and the police in less than fifty years is an example to any ethnicity.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 06/01/18 12:07 AM

My family as well as most everyone from italy came to this country well after slavery. Lets not forget about all the White people fighting to free the slaves during the civil war and got killed for blacks lives. People seem to forget that little part of history.
Blacks have certain priviledges that whites just dont have. You have it easy my friend. This is 2018, not 1845.

List these certain privileges that I have that's set apart from you. I'm a fan of history and recognize the whites that made sacrifices. Apartheid in this country was only 50 years ago not 173 years ago.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 06/01/18 12:51 AM

It ( segregation) ended over 53 years ago, more than half a century ago. Slavery ended 175 years ago. Whats the point black family? Blacks are indeed priviledged in many ways.
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 06/01/18 01:51 AM

Just heard The MIDDLE will do a spin off centering Sue Heck.......

Good for her , Love the Actress and the Charactor

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 06/01/18 02:14 AM

It ( segregation) ended over 53 years ago, more than half a century ago. Slavery ended 175 years ago. Whats the point black family? Blacks are indeed priviledged in many ways.

You made the year statement and i added on to that for many older Blacks that grew up through it. I wasn't referring to slavery just the year you randomly chosen. Again what privilege are you speaking of besides basic rights like everyone else?
Posted By: Slimshady

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 06/01/18 02:19 AM

U r very ignorant.

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 06/01/18 05:09 PM

Jackson was Scotch-Irish. That's totally different to Irish in terms of religion, culture, and economic status, although I understand the confusion.

The English tried to starve Irish people into extinction 150 years ago. It goes down in the history books as a "famine", but it was basically genocide.

Millions of people died and the "lucky" ones were forced to emigrate.

The English Prime Minister, Tony Blair, publicly apologised for it a few years ago.

Guess who the biggest contributors were to aid for the Irish people back then? Native Americans! People who didn't have a pot to piss in themselves, but then, they know what it's like to have their land stolen from them.

Basically what I'm saying is Irish were fucked over too even if the history books downplay it. You know what they say about the victors writing history.

Going from being forcibly starved out of their country to making an impact in judiciary, politics, and the police in less than fifty years is an example to any ethnicity.

Thanks Moe, I didn't know there was such a stark difference between Irish and Scotch-Irish. Never know that the famine was a codeword for genocide either.

The Irish definitely went through horrific persecution in their home country. One big difference is that they did not achieve that upward mobility in the same place they were persecuted, because they would have been blocked from doing so systematically. That's the point I'm getting at, is that racism is systematic and in America has been conditioned into society possibly unlike anywhere else. People think because there are no Jim Crow laws anymore that racism is non-existent but just because it's not labeled directly doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Much like how you just taught me about what was perceived as "famine" in Ireland was actually genocide, imagine someone telling you adamantly "The Irish never experienced anything like genocide, they just ran out of potatoes, it says it right there in the history book". When people say "segregation ended in the 60's, get over it", they fail to realize that just because the explicitly racist laws were taken off the books, it's not like racism was turned off like a light switch. Honestly, one look at some of the users on this forum should show you that plenty of racist attitudes persist to this day. Which are passed down and onward.

That's my thing with Trump, I don't think he's particularly racist but he is staunchly supported by and consistently panders to a racist base and I can't support that. Personally, I think he's an egomaniac who considers himself above everyone regardless, but that's almost every politician. I've said before that in my opinion the most powerful and dangerous enemy of the working/middle class in America is unbridled capitalism and corporate welfare, but people are too occupied with bullshit wedge issues and blind partisanship to come together against things that hurt all of us regardless of race.
Posted By: helenwheels

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 06/01/18 06:07 PM

That's my thing with Trump, I don't think he's particularly racist but he is staunchly supported by and consistently panders to a racist base and I can't support that. Personally, I think he's an egomaniac who considers himself above everyone regardless, but that's almost every politician. I've said before that in my opinion the most powerful and dangerous enemy of the working/middle class in America is unbridled capitalism and corporate welfare, but people are too occupied with bullshit wedge issues and blind partisanship to come together against things that hurt all of us regardless of race.

[Linked Image]

Re: ABC kicks Roseanne to the curb - 07/03/18 10:42 PM

Jerry Seinfeld's comments about Roseanne recently were pretty rich considering he supported Michael Richards to the hilt when Richards did something far worse.

Seinfeld was pretty quick to defend Richards when his revenue stream was threatened.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET