Home

A question for Italian Americans and Irish America

Posted By: sbhc

A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/10/18 05:09 PM

Why do these people hold on to their heritage so strongly. People 4 or 5 generations deep still saying that they're Irish or Italian?

I'm from Ireland and Irish Americans are laughed at over here, we call them Plastic Paddys. The come over here talking about their families and their homeland. For instace my last name is O'Connor and I had a yank woman ove here one day telling that we're related because she had the same surname.

I've heard that deep generation Italian Americans are known as wonderbread wops in the States.
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/10/18 06:08 PM

I think you're generalizing about people on both sides of the Atlantic. You might find it more productive to identify and work on your own shortcomings, instead of the faults of stereotypes you carry around in your head.
Posted By: sbhc

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/10/18 06:34 PM

No that's what people think in Ireland.

I'm sure that real Italians also laugh their arses about 3rd and fourth gen Italian Americans in the States.

You're Americans, be proud of that, it's a great country.
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/10/18 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by mustachepete
I think you're generalizing about people on both sides of the Atlantic. You might find it more productive to identify and work on your own shortcomings, instead of the faults of stereotypes you carry around in your head.

Very well said.

Originally Posted by sbhc

I'm sure that real Italians also laugh their arses about 3rd and fourth gen Italian Americans in the States.

Thank you.
Posted By: hoodlum

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/10/18 07:09 PM

I asked u in another thread, maybe u did not see it..but my parents r from Donegal & Mayo,, where are u from that these "KNACKERS' were originated from??
Posted By: Belmont

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/10/18 07:31 PM

I cant speak for the irish but i do know there are countless people who try and claim they are Italian when in fact they are not.
There is something about being italian that is very alluring to many people. Its a great heritage as far as history, food, wine, theater, inventions, architecture, clothing, the people themselves, and the country itself is beautiful. I never heard one guy claim he was polish when he wasnt. Lol
Posted By: olivant

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/10/18 07:38 PM

I agree.

I'm 2nd generation Italian and very proud of that. Growing up in Pittsburgh I learned some Italian, but as an adult I've taught myself even more Italian. I even changed my last name back to the original Italian spelling.
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/10/18 07:43 PM

There are a lot of Italians who want to be black.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 01:40 AM

America is a nation of immigrants, but it was always a country that valued and emphasized assimilation. Into the Sixties most Americans de-emphasized their ethnic backgrounds--even Americanizing their last names to avoid being labeled Italian, Irish, Jewish, etc. Look at Hollywood movies from the beginnings into the Sixties--all the actors and actresses used "all-American" names.

The civil rights movement in the Sixties started the trend toward identifying, and emphasizing, national and/or ethnic origin, and taking pride in it. Started with blacks, then became a national trend.
Posted By: Footreads

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 01:55 AM

Why do these people hold on to their heritage so strongly. People 4 or 5 generations deep still saying that they're Irish or Italian?

I'm from Ireland and Irish Americans are laughed at over here, we call them Plastic Paddys. The come over here talking about their families and their homeland. For instace my last name is O'Connor and I had a yank woman ove here one day telling that we're related because she had the same surname.

I've heard that deep generation Italian Americans are known as wonderbread wops in the States.

I am not even a hundred percent Italian my dear departed father was not Italian. So why do I consider myself Italian. Come from an Italian neighborhood here. Italian Harlem had no friends who were not Italian. I guess that’s why.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 03:11 AM

Where did assimilation get black people? Segregation in the south, housing discrimination, district redlining in the north. It wasn't until black people began to identify as black first, American second, that they got federal laws passed making racial discrimination illegal nationwide.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by OakAsFan
Where did assimilation get black people? Segregation in the south, housing discrimination, district redlining in the north. It wasn't until black people began to identify as black first, American second, that they got federal laws passed making racial discrimination illegal nationwide.

Federal civil rights acts of 1866, 1870, and 1875 as well as the 14th Amendment in 1868.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 03:32 AM

Those laws weren't enough, Olivant. Segregation and housing discrimination was rampant through the early 1960s.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 04:49 AM

“It wasn't until black people began to identify as black first, American second, that they got federal laws passed making racial discrimination illegal nationwide.”

By now they should be declaring themselves american first and black second. I would imagine a lot of blacks would be offended by your statement. Particularly those that educated themselves and made better lives for their families as well as those that serve in our armed forces. Claiming they are black first is basically inflicting segregation on themselves.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Belmont
By now they should be declaring themselves american first and black second.

You mean, now that we have a president who believes there should be due process for men accused of abusing women, but not for black suspects like the Central Park 5, who Trump to this day believes are guilty despite their convictions being overturned? This is probably a time for black Americans to be even more vigilant, along with anyone else who isn't a conservative white male.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 04:11 PM

There are more than enough laws on the books to protect those from discrimination. The black comminity needs to step up as a whole and fix their own self inflicted issues that are 99% of the reason for their low standing on the economic and social totem pole. The chinese come from extremely poor area’s in china and come here with nothing yet their children thrive and their neighborhoods are very safe.
The issues within the black community have nothing to do with president trump making a comment. The sooner people admit the truth and take action, the sooner the black community can lift itself up. Its not going to ever happen without blaming themselves first.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 04:26 PM

There are more red haired people in Scotland, England and Wales than there is in Ireland but guess what country gets the pejorative stereotype?

Prince Harry and Margaret Thatcher have red hair for fuck sake. Name one Irish celebrity apart from the Gleeson acting family who have red hair.

"Black Irish"

There are the same amount of people with dark hair in Ireland as there is in the UK, Scandinavia, Germany, Netherlands, Austria and the Slavic countries. There is significantly more in France but that's because they've had centuries of immigration and intermarrying between Spaniards, Africans etc. - so a dumb colloquialism.

"Scotch Irish"

What people who emigrated to America from Ulster are called for some reason. They're just Irish not Scottish. If they're "Scotch Irish" then Gerard Butler and Sean Connery are "Irish Scottish" since they have Irish ancestry and George Harrison, Paul McCartney and John Lennon are "Irish English" since they have Irish ancestry - so another dumb colloquialism.

It's amazing how much racist slang still remains to this day; "Paddywagon", "Black Irish" etc. etc.

Rant over.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 05:52 PM

There is certainly an issue with self reliance and accountability in this country. This is why poor white people need to address the problems in their community, like joblessness and opiate addiction. They're waiting on President Trump to come flying in with a cape. They have to do it themselves. They have to stop using opiates. They have to take any job they can get, not just wait for the next lucrative construction job or plum office job to land on their lap. They have to stop blaming immigrants, who are taking those less than desirable jobs, because they understand that you have to start somewhere. They have to compete with the immigrants, which won't be easy, because immigrants have been raised with a better work ethic and sense of responsibility than them. They need to grab themselves by the bootstraps. Donald Trump does not care about them. He only used them to get into the white house. They have to do it themselves.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
There are more red haired people in Scotland, England and Wales than there is in Ireland but guess what country gets the pejorative stereotype?

Prince Harry and Margaret Thatcher have red hair for fuck sake. Name one Irish celebrity apart from the Gleeson acting family who have red hair.

"Black Irish"

There are the same amount of people with dark hair in Ireland as there is in the UK, Scandinavia, Germany, Netherlands, Austria and the Slavic countries. There is significantly more in France but that's because they've had centuries of immigration and intermarrying between Spaniards, Africans etc. - so a dumb colloquialism.

"Scotch Irish"

What people who emigrated to America from Ulster are called for some reason. They're just Irish not Scottish. If they're "Scotch Irish" then Gerard Butler and Sean Connery are "Irish Scottish" since they have Irish ancestry and George Harrison, Paul McCartney and John Lennon are "Irish English" since they have Irish ancestry - so another dumb colloquialism.

It's amazing how much racist slang still remains to this day; "Paddywagon", "Black Irish" etc. etc.

Rant over.

Maureen O Hara..

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 06:31 PM

Gimme a break Oakasfan.. lets be real. Where is all the violent crime in the poor white neighborhoods? It doesnt exist.
The majority of poor whites actually work and actively seek work thus attmepting to make their lives better. Your comparison is nonsensical and without merit which you already know.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 06:58 PM

Unemployment and "underemployment" are problems in the white community. Trump made this a major part of his campaign, especially on stops in the rust belt. A lot of these poor white people voted for Trump thinking that he cares about them, when he obviously doesn't. Trump cares about his family, his wealthy friends, and obviously, Russia. To add insult to injury, a lot of these poor whites have taken to opiates, and now Trump is promising to address this issue, which he won't. Poor whites have to take accountability for their own behavior, and improve their own lives. They're waiting on Trump to "make America great again". That train's never coming.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 09:46 PM

Trump is helping the rust belt in a big way and he has only been in office for a year. They had a democratic congresswoman .on tv from Ohio yesterday and she called Nacy Pelosi’s assertions that the trump tax plan isnt helping the middle class ridiculous and untrue. She also took offense of Pelosi and the democratic elite saying the 1000 dollar bonuses given by many companies is a small amount. She said $1000 is a lot of money in Ohio although maybe its not much in SanFransisco where Pelosi lives. This lady is a democrat. Goes to show that pelosi doesnt have a clue, not to mention Maxime Watters who is nothing more than a wannabe entertainer.
This guy is creating a lot of middle class jobs in the rust belt and raising wages. This guy is a machine for everyone both black and white.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/11/18 10:46 PM

Donald Trump has not created one single middle class job, and never will.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/13/18 03:21 AM

Oak...ur a good guy,but w/no disrespect,,where I live in N.E. Philly ,there are more job openings than ever,,my 22 yr. old cousin, w/ a little side training from me has secured a good union job as a butcher in a KOSHER meat shop that is very lucrative w/ benefits & that has been around for many yrs. Kosher meats is no joke, as there are a lot of restrictions,He had 2 take prelimanary classes as well....Now ,if that is not mid class ,,I dont know what is..$32.00 an hour isnt bad.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/13/18 06:19 PM

My family and relatives were ALL proud of our heritage. It's been very special to all of us, knowing where we came from, and our family's history. My father, tho came here very young, was born in Trapani, Sicily and both sets of grandparents born/raised in Sicily. We were brought up and raised to have pride in our heritage. Some times I think about by grandparents/father coming to America and imagine how scary it must have been, not knowing the language, coming to a strange land. It took much courage. As a matter of fact, every time I see the scene from GFII with young Vito on the ship passing Statue of Liberty, and I see the looks of fear, awe on the passengers faces, I always assume that could be my grandparents/father at the time they came.

FWIW, years ago I found and ordered the ship manifests of my grandparents/father from 1921 on Ellis Island site. Their ship was named the "Regina Italia." Yea, I'm proud of my heritage. It's a part of me.

TIS

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/13/18 06:32 PM

TIS, to reiterate a phrase from my college years: Right On!

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/13/18 06:58 PM

President does not creat jobs puting tax laws in place that promote new jobs and middle class jobs does that. He has done that like crazy.

Right now the intrastructure money and workinfpg with the private sector will be creating middle class jobs for thousands. The training done by the private sector, community colleges in building.

The only thing they can teach is not fearing high places and breaking their behind heavy lifting 12 hours a day 6 or 7 days aweek

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/13/18 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by olivant

AND far out and groovy!!!!! LOL How ya doing Oli???

TIS

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/13/18 07:13 PM

A lot of immigrants changed their names when they got here in order to get work easier. My best friends father changed his name Guglielmo to Williams.

My father’s father a non Italian changed his name from a German name to an Americanized name.

The worst was when my soccer club changed their name from the Brooklyn Italians to the Brooklyn dodgers. Then we won another open cup and people still don’t know we won it under a different name.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/13/18 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Italian Stallionette
Originally Posted by olivant

AND far out and groovy!!!!! LOL How ya doing Oli???

TIS

Pretty good TIS. You know, as has been already lamented, you and I and so many of the ancient Board members don't post much anymore. I guess I always will when the spirit moves me, but it's just not like the halcion days of a just a few years ago.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/14/18 01:23 PM

An American of Irish or Italian descent may identify strongly with their heritage regardless of whether they are first, second or third generation etc.

This is something that's always intrigued me about American celebrities who are Jewish.

You would never know Harvey Keitel's parents were Romanian or that Jerry Seinfeld's parents were Syrian and Hungarian unless you were inclined to look it up but they're ingrained in ones mind as Jews.

I don't know if things have changed but they really were a landless, nomadic people, huh?

I don't mean this in a bad way.

The history of Jews in Europe is something I've always wanted to look into in greater detail.
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/25/18 08:56 PM

Co sign.
Posted By: Aces

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/25/18 10:25 PM

An American of Irish or Italian descent may identify strongly with their heritage regardless of whether they are first, second or third generation etc.

This is something that's always intrigued me about American celebrities who are Jewish.

You would never know Harvey Keitel's parents were Romanian or that Jerry Seinfeld's parents were Syrian and Hungarian unless you were inclined to look it up but they're ingrained in ones mind as Jews.

I don't know if things have changed but they really were a landless, nomadic people, huh?

The history of Jews in Europe is something I've always wanted to look into in greater detail.

Not exactly sure why but since the beginning of time, the jews were hated wherever they were. There are so many other religions that dont believe jesus was the son of god and yet they arent hated. What is it about the jews?
Posted By: aidanbrexit

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/25/18 10:36 PM

Because mst across the pond are too stupid to know or care about their roots.
Theyre slowly being ethnically replaced in their own homelands, by 3rd world trash, and most are too drunk, stupid and shallow to give a damn.
Heritage and Blood, at the end of the day, is all that really matters

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/25/18 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Aces

Not exactly sure why but since the beginning of time, the jews were hated wherever they were. There are so many other religions that dont believe jesus was the son of god and yet they arent hated. What is it about the jews?

[Linked Image]

Communism-Killing of 66 millions White Christians, Abortion, Usury, Gay Marriage, Nambla, Anti Gun, Transgender Rights, Media Degeneracy...whats not to hate?
Some say they are simply destroyers, unfit to live amongst White Christians.
They create nothing, never have. No automobiles, nothing worthwhile in our civilization. Just destruction mostly.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/25/18 11:15 PM

Henry Ford:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: helenwheels

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/25/18 11:20 PM

Someone got lost on their way to Stormfront....
Posted By: SC

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/25/18 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by helenwheels
Someone got lost on their way to Stormfront....

Looks that way. I was wondering how'd long it would take before he outed himself. Looks like 48 hours (since he registered).

Aidan, take the hate off the GBB and post it somewhere else, if you must.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/26/18 12:17 AM

SC......Im trying to understand this rationale of yours.
I posted a quote from Henry Ford of all people, an American Icon, there are literally dozens of men like him, that say similar things, and for posting what HE said, Im told it is hate.

If you really want to read about hate, read the Jewish Talmud.
Or look at the actions of George Soros, Barbara Spectre, Chabad Lubavitch, and what the various Rabbis have said about non jews. Or their treatment of Russian Christians by Alexander Solzhenitzyn- Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winner.
Calling the truth, Hate, is just silly. The truth just IS. It isnt nice, it isnt fun. It is just factually correct.
If Im off, please tell me where I am so that I may feel welcome here, or elsewhere. I dont belong to Stormfront, its full of Kosher Nazis and Govt clowns.
What Ive amassed is great knowledge about Jews from reading about them and about organized Crime.

Is calling the Russian Mafiya, Purple Gang, Murder Inc, Isaeli Organized Crime hateful, or is it the truth? If you cant name names without being called out as a hater or anti semite, what in the world then, is the truth?
No where on this board have I posted pro nazi agenda....or incitement to anything. Just facts. If they can be disproven, Id like for them to be. And not just anecdotal BS.

[Linked Image]
NOBEL & Pulitzer Prize Winner

NYTimes
[Linked Image]

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/26/18 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by aidanbrexit

Doesn't matter if you understand this rationale of mine. You just have to follow the rules like everyone else here on the GBB, I've been moderating here long enough to recognize a new member with an axe to grind or an agenda to further. You've been on these boards for all of forty nine hours now and you've managed to upset many long-standing members. You're better off looking for another place to peddle your beliefs (which I find to be flaming). If you don't like this ruling, you're more than welcome to leave. Don't argue this. For one thing, you won't win, and secondly it'll just hasten your exit.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/26/18 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by SC
Originally Posted by aidanbrexit

Doesn't matter if you understand this rationale of mine. You just have to follow the rules like everyone else here on the GBB, I've been moderating here long enough to recognize a new member with an axe to grind or an agenda to further. You've been on these boards for all of forty nine hours now and you've managed to upset many long-standing members. You're better off looking for another place to peddle your beliefs (which I find to be flaming). If you don't like this ruling, you're more than welcome to leave. Don't argue this. For one thing, you won't win, and secondly it'll just hasten your exit.

I asked for an explanation and didnt get one, not even a bad one.
The readers can decide for themselves, who and who wasnt trolled and baited.

Facts are these: I was called a "Racist, Anti Semite, Nazi and Hater" and told by one to 'blow me" for posting facts about Jewish Organized Crime. Then references to Stormfront.
I told Helen to make a sandwich in retaliation to her name calling, and referenced her pink panties. Hardly worth a warning imo.

Many long standing members are not truthful. This Board has operated for years and no one posted anything about the Russian Mafiya, jewish Mafiya, Purple Gang, Murder Inc or Who really Ran Las Vegas- Moe Dalitz and Co.
"They" RAN Las Vegas, still do and prior to that, Covington, Kentucky before moving operations TO Las Vegas- Covington KY was aka Little New Orleans. My home town. Off Track betting capital of North America with over 100 illegal casinos operating.
Besides mine, were there Any posts on Moe Dalitz- The Godfather of Las Vegas? Or Hyman Larner, who ran Chicago? Or Murder Inc? Or Jack Rubenstein aka Jack Ruby? Why?

So in closing, NO, I dont like this ruling. And I wont argue. Its Pointless.
I think its silly and I depart on my own terms rather than be held to a double standard and level of hypocrisy and threats.
Some may not like my posts, But you cant call them untrue or call the content untruthful.
Id hope to like this site, but was disappointed in its content and lack of knowledge, overall. Too much Hollywood fiction and literary nonsense devoid of facts and accuracy.

So Thanks anyway.

PS: A Youtube Search on Jewish Organized Crime yields this and a whole lot of info- its not just me, The goyim know, the truth has emerged despite sites like these that are gatekeepers.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jewish+mafiya

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/26/18 01:41 AM

aidan - sew up your asshole because a lot of shit is coming out. The best advice I can give you is to forget about it and don't argue it any further. I can't stress that enough. You feel you're getting treated unfairly? Tough. That comes with being a newbie (two days) and already causing trouble.
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/26/18 01:53 AM

Get him the fuck outa here Boss.

That jerkoff wants other opinions, this is mine.
Posted By: Ciment

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/26/18 02:51 AM

This fucken idiot is getting on my nerves too.

Why is he allowed to spread hate literature on this board.

[size:17pt][/size]

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/26/18 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by SC
aidan - sew up your asshole because a lot of shit is coming out. The best advice I can give you is to forget about it and don't argue it any further. I can't stress that enough. You feel you're getting treated unfairly? Tough. That comes with being a newbie (two days) and already causing trouble.

Thanks for your candidness. I appreciate that about you, actually.
Trying to soft touch all of this is just delaying the inevitable.

Im willing to bet you dollar to donuts, that if you trace IP addresses, youll find many of them going to Israel, Brighton, Skokie IL, Boca FL, Howard Beach and NY Locales, and they have sayan operating here. It was coming to come to this, and Id prefer to nuke the bridge rather than soft touch anything-just not my style.
So thanks again for your work here.

PS.. The cowardly Israeli Sayan have already begun the pile on, it seems judging by the last 2 posts..

Israel to pay students to defend it online - USA TODAY
Israel to pay students $2000 to defend it online. Students would receive scholarships to parallel statements by government spokespeople.
USA Today
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/08/14/israel-students-social-media/2651715/

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/26/18 02:57 AM

My IP address traces back to the Playboy Mansion.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/26/18 03:00 AM

I can get paid to take on anti-semites on the internet?

Thanks for the link!

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/26/18 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by DuesPaid
Get him the fuck outa here Boss.

That jerkoff wants other opinions, this is mine.

I second that emotion 100%..a real asshole jitbag.
Posted By: helenwheels

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/27/18 01:21 AM

I love learning new (for me) slang words, thank you Hoodlum. That's a great one.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/27/18 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by helenwheels
I love learning new (for me) slang words, thank you Hoodlum. That's a great one.

Your'e quite welcome Helen,,something we used in the 70s &80s..I never lost it,,It makes ppl. do a double take.
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 02/27/18 02:23 PM

Folks should keep in mind that their generalizing in one way facilitates generalizing by others in other ways. Cherry picking of little bits of data or history does the same.

Re: A question for Italian Americans and Irish America - 03/02/18 07:24 PM

Folks should keep in mind that their generalizing in one way facilitates generalizing by others in other ways. Cherry picking of little bits of data or history does the same.

Absolutely true Pete.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET