Home

BB Software Update Issues?

Posted By: J Geoff

BB Software Update Issues? - 01/20/18 07:27 PM

As some of you know, I had the BB software updated last night, after 4 years. It should be a bit faster and more mobile-friendly, and other improvements. I'm slowly but surely going thru the settings, but if you notice anything out of the ordinary, please post here.

Signor Vitelli noticed that a lot of apostrophes or quotation marks are appearing as � symbols. I see them here and there on older posts, and in some people's signatures, but I can't reproduce it (I made a test post in the Help forum of all different types of quotation marks). Hmm...

Olivant was looking for the "Go" button -- but I'm not sure what that button was for? I do notice a new "Back to Top" arrow that hovers over the bottom right part of the screen when you're scrolled down the page.

Any other issues?

Posted By: SC

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/20/18 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by J Geoff

Any other issues?

Yeah. The pages all have white backgrounds and black letters. cry
Posted By: olivant

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/20/18 08:05 PM

Geoff, when one clicked on the GO button I described, it took one back to the previous page where all of the Forums are listed not just to the top of the current page..

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/20/18 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by olivant
Geoff, when one clicked on the GO button I described, it took one back to the previous page where all of the Forums are listed not just to the top of the current page..

Okay, it looks like "go" was removed, and you can just click on the words "Hop To" instead (where the pull-down selector menu is on the bottom)

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/20/18 08:35 PM

Another thing... if you've noticed the "My Stuff" has been moved to a menu on your name in the top-right. That's where you should go through your settings, etc.

It seems you will have to reset your time zone (I had to) in Preferences / Settings. (Now you can/should pick your exact time zone because not all time zones are simple hourly differences). Before, you'd only have the option to deduct # of hours from the BB's time (Eastern); it's more accurate now.

It'd be a good idea to go thru all your settings at this point. I was getting emails each time someone replied to this topic, which is new -- probably because I was the "OP" (original poster, now indicated by "OP" next to each of my posts in this thread) and it automatically subscribed me to replies on topics I "follow" (created, too, I guess)....

I'll post more as I discover other new things.... keep questions coming if you have any!

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/20/18 08:42 PM

As for the � characters you may see in some older posts, that's apparently because the character-type was changed (for the better) but some older characters didn't have a modern equivalent or something.

If you see a "�" in your signature, please edit your signature (in Settings) with a standard character and it should fix it. We'll likely have to live with those symbols in older posts that cannot be edited (if yours can be, then feel free to fix them yourself. Or if I come across any, I can do it; but it's not a high priority)...
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/20/18 09:15 PM

for me everything work fine thanks a lot geoff i like the new change smile
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/20/18 11:13 PM

I do notice a new "Back to Top" arrow that hovers over the bottom right part of the screen when you're scrolled down the page.

In this thread, at least, the arrow only appears once I've scrolled down about one-third of the page.

Signor V.

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/21/18 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Signor Vitelli
In this thread, at least, the arrow only appears once I've scrolled down about one-third of the page.

Well, that makes sense since you don't really need it when you're at or near the top of the page... wink

P.S. Of course, all you really need to do is hit the "Home" key on your keyboard to do the same thing...
Posted By: hoodlum

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/23/18 01:23 AM

How do I view my previous posts? ..there is no my stuff category under my name ..lost in Philly

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/23/18 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by hoodlum
How do I view my previous posts? ..there is no my stuff category under my name ..lost in Philly

What if you click on your name, then View Profile... should be a link there to View Posts?

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/23/18 02:57 AM

What if you click on your name, then View Profile... should be a link there to View Posts?

It's even easier. Just click on your name and a box will pop up and there'll be a shortcut to view your own posts.
Posted By: brock_samson

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/25/18 01:47 AM

Looks good on desktop but it’s even less mobile friendly than it was before. Is there an app or trick to it that I don’t know about.

Sorry, I hate to be negative about anything. This isn’t criticism, just curious.

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/25/18 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by brock_samson
... it’s even less mobile friendly than it was before.

In what ways? Serious question; I don't use mobile that much for this site but I plan to explore it more. (I did miss the shoutbox, though.) But any feedback I can bring to the developers may help to improve it for the next version...
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/25/18 01:03 PM

Mobile version appears to be much better on my mobile than before.I don't use it but was curious to see how it looks..

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/25/18 03:45 PM

... it’s even less mobile friendly than it was before.

In what ways? Serious question; I don't use mobile that much for this site but I plan to explore it more.

Originally Posted by DE NIRO
Mobile version appears to be much better on my mobile than before.I don't use it but was curious to see how it looks..

I was being a bit hasty with my reply, on second glance it does look better. Prior to the update the text was smaller and replies were not in-line with each other so I guess comparatively the changes are an improvement.

Only half of the screen is viewable at a time, this isn't a huge deal, but maybe something to think about in the future.

[Linked Image]

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/25/18 06:36 PM

Only half of the screen is viewable at a time, this isn't a huge deal, but maybe something to think about in the future.

You can probably see more of the screen if you hold it horizontally.

Also, at least on iPhones, you can "pinch out" / zoom out to fit it all in. The lettering will be smaller, but more of it will fit on the (horizontal) screen.

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/28/18 02:18 PM

You can probably see more of the screen if you hold it horizontally.

Also, at least on iPhones, you can "pinch out" / zoom out to fit it all in. The lettering will be smaller, but more of it will fit on the (horizontal) screen.

Yeah, I’ve been doing the “pinch out,” just thought I’d mention the possibility of a mobile optimized site in the future.

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/28/18 11:30 PM

I think ive finally grasped this new change bull****..till further problems, I'm holding youse guys accountable & then it will b 2 in the back of the head..lol.

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/28/18 11:32 PM

I think ive finally grasped this new change bull****..till further problems, I'm holding youse guys accountable & then it will b 2 in the back of the head..lol.

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/29/18 01:19 AM

Since you posted the same message three times I think maybe you didn't figure it out yet. whistle

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/29/18 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by SC
Since you posted the same message three times I think maybe you didn't figure it out yet. whistle
Sorry SC..I'm a little bit older & don't understand nor like change once i'm used 2 it..I have a hard time adapting 2 newer stuff....it has always gotten me in trouble @ work cause i'm so old school,but..on that hand,I make the best osso buco in the city...

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/29/18 02:12 AM

the new change is not so much phone friendly like before...

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/29/18 07:55 AM

Sorry SC..I'm a little bit older & don't understand nor like change once i'm used 2 it..I have a hard time adapting 2 newer stuff....

No need to apologize. I was just busting balls.

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/29/18 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by MeyerLansky
the new change is not so much phone friendly like before...

I find it different, but not necessarily better or worse. Can you explain your view so I can relay it to the developers?

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/29/18 09:40 AM

Yeah it's not like it's worse but like less comfortable.
And there is no option to see the online and shout box.

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/29/18 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by MeyerLansky
And there is no option to see the online and shout box.

You can access those via the pull-down menu under your name, in the top-right corner.

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 01/30/18 10:51 PM

Ohh right thanks !
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 02/03/18 03:20 AM

Major annoyance:

Why are there ads in the middle of some of the threads? (Turi's Return, for one)

Never had that before.

Signor V.

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 02/03/18 06:24 AM

Yeah i noticed that, even with ad blocker they are still there.

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 02/03/18 07:48 AM

Re: Ads

It's just one "post" worth of Amazon ads per page, and always just the 2nd post of each thread. Not that intrusive considering it seems every other site on the planet is using MAJORLY annoying pop-ups now which I refuse to do. And since the upgrade cost me $250, I need to try to make it back... hope you understand wink I've been trying to get the ads on the bottom of the page, out of the way, but they're not working... so I'm trying this instead. A Don's gotta eat! lol wink

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 02/03/18 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Italian Stallionette (from another thread)
(Ok I have to figure out how to get the icons posted. I usually never go "icon-less". LOL

TIS - Try clicking the "Use Full Editor" button under the reply box -- you should see all the options there...

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 02/03/18 09:11 PM

Is the BB displaying better on mobile without the banner on top stretching out the page?

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 02/04/18 01:56 AM

Geoff - the new update has an answer for your signature line:

[Linked Image]

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 02/04/18 07:54 AM

I don't know... I studied Italian, not Goombahnese...

BUT, at least we got an answer to the Sauce vs Gravy debate!

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 02/05/18 10:41 AM

I'm on the mobile version now and I have no issues with it. It's much better than it was..
Posted By: Michael_Giovanni

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 02/05/18 06:10 PM

The issue I'm having on my phone is when you open a thread it doesn't format to fit the screen. You have to scroll left and right to read. The site formats when you open the main page or when you open a specific forum but when you open a thread within that forum it does not format.
Posted By: Michael_Giovanni

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 06/01/18 05:27 PM

Still having problems with formatting on iphone8.

Anyway we can resolve this?

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 06/01/18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Michael_Giovanni
Still having problems with formatting on iphone8.

Anyway we can resolve this?

Michael, send a message to Geoff with the specific issues you're having.

Re: BB Software Update Issues? - 06/01/18 06:11 PM

The issues seems to be due to the Ad islands on some forums. I will delete those for now until I figure out a better way...
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET