Home

Top Ten Concerts

Posted By: Daigo Mick Friend

Top Ten Concerts - 09/02/04 02:52 PM

Wanted to post something other then political,
Something fun yet debatable to some extent.

Your top ten live concerts in any order. Here is mine in chrono. order (I actually listed 13)

1. Led Zeppelin. MSG, NY 1977
2. The Who. MSG, NY 1979
3. The B-52's. Roseland Ballroom, NY 1981
4. The Clash. Asbury Pary NJ 1982
5. Elvis Costello & the Atrractions. Asbury
Park NJ 1982
6. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
SPAC, Saratoga NY 1984
7. Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians. Irving Plaza
NY 1986
8. The Replacements. The Beacon, NY 1987
9. David Bowie. Giants Stadium, NJ 1991
10. Big Bad Voodo Daddy. Drink, Las Vegas NV 1999
11.Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band.
Hartford CT 2000
12.Paul McCartney CAA, NJ 2002
13.Paul Westerburg. Irving Plaza, NY 2002
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/02/04 02:59 PM

Probably in order

1) Dave Matthews Band (Selma, TX) 2002
2) Dave Matthews Band (Selma, TX) 2004
3) Dave Matthews Band (The Woodlands, TX) 2001
4) Aerosmith & Kiss (Selma, TX) 2003
5) Dave Matthews Band (Austin, TX) 1999
6) Dave Matthews Band (Selma, TX) 2003

PS-I'm going to see the Beastie Boys on October 22 in Austin, TX. I can't wait for it! I've always wanted to see Beastie Boys. Great thread by the way!
Posted By: bogey

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/02/04 11:52 PM

Mine's ordered: best to worst

1) Less Than Jake (Club Laga-Pittsburgh) Nov 29, 2003
2) Projekt Revolution (Burgettstown) Aug 9, 2004
3) Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band (Mellon Arena-Pittsburgh) Apr 26, 2000
4) Warped Tour (Burgettstown) (2004)
4) Blink 182 (Burgettstown) May 22, 2004
18233) Brooks and Dunn (Burgettstown) Aug 5, 2001

Honestly, I didn't even want to list Brooks and Dunn, because I hated it so much. But I've only been to 6 concerts ever, so I figured I should list all of them.

Warped Tour was the most fun, but I didn't get to see many bands. I saw Story of the Year (they were awesome), Flogging Molly (they were good too), and NOFX (I crowdsurfed to them).. and I met some of Matchbook Romance. I missed Taking Back Sunday though..

The reason it was so much fun though, was because some of my friends from the soccer team and I met a band who was playing at Warped. (Underminded was the band's name) So we talked to them for like half an hour, and they said they'd sneak us into the concert for free. It was awesome.

And at Projekt, I met Less Than Jake twice. Once the night before at a restaurant (I met Roger... ahhh!!!) and once at the concert, getting autographs. We also gave Roger a "Weir High" shirt.. because he asked for one at the restaurant. For those of you who don't get it.. sound it out.. "we're high"). Weir High is the name of my school, by the way. haha. It was really cool, because Roger said to the rest of the band, "Hey look, they actually brought the shirt!".. meaning, he actually talked to the band about us. It made me feel good inside lol.

But anyway, I might be seeing Breaking Benjamin soon.. and I hear Flickerstick ((insert girly scream here)) is going to be around here sometime.. I need to find out when. Because I loff them. :p

And I apologize for getting off-subject a little bit.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/03/04 12:44 AM

Daigo, being a Tarrytown guy, did you ever see Tarrytown native David Bromberg?? (Who?) I saw him at the Westchester Theater in the mid 70s (Jimmy Buffet opened - pre - Marguaritaville)and at Carnegie Hall with Taj Majhal.

1978 - Marshall Tucker Band at Saratoga Performing Arts Center.
Same summer, same place: Linda Ronstadt, Bonnie Raitt, CSN.

Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes - Metro Tech Park, Brooklyn, a month before he died.
Posted By: Vito The Godfather

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/03/04 09:09 AM

I haven't been to many concerts yet in my life but there we go in order from best to worse:

1) Deftones; Santiago, Chile - January 26, 2001
2) Deftones; Sydney, Australia - January 23, 2003
3) Glassjaw; New York City, USA - Live at The Wetlands - March 11, 2001
4) Muse; London, England - November 20, 2000
5) No Doubt; Bangkok, Thailand - Forgot date
6) Incubus; Bangkok, Thailand - March 14, 2004
7) Heaven Shall Burn; Sao Paulo, Brazil - May 2002

Posted By: Scarface.1

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/03/04 09:51 AM

I know my best concert was a festival, GLASTONBURY! 2004
Posted By: SC

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/03/04 01:45 PM

My favorite five I attended:

1. Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park, ca. 1982 - a free concert attended by about 300,000 that reunited S&G. Got there 12 hours early to get a good spot. Biggest "party" I ever attended.

2. The Doors, Asbury Park (NJ) Convention Center, August, 1969 - a week before Woodstock, Jim Morrison and company were absolutely superb. Many of their big hits filled the 2½ hour treat.

3. Billy Joel, Madison Square Garden, ca. 1982 - sat in the upper deck which actually rocked with all the foot stomping. When Joel sang "Miami 2016" and sang the line about letting the Yankees stay, the Garden exploded with cheers.

4. Barry White, the small theater at Madison Square Garden, July, 1995. It was over 100° outside, but not nearly as hot as White made it inside!

5. Free Concert, Central Park, ca. 1968 - Country Joe & the Fish, Jefferson Airplane (with Grace Slick), Richie Havens, and even Sha-Na-Na in a mini pre-Woodstock preview.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/03/04 02:05 PM

The ones that stand out as the best ones are:

Elvis Presley (New Year's Eve 75 in Pontiac, MI)

The Eagles (1994 Hell Freezes Over Tour)

Rod Stewart (twice)

Cream (1972)

Also, The Animals (1966), The Beach Boys, and also in my youth, lesser known groups like The Outsiders, The Buckinghams, The Turtles. :p Those were the days...young carefree, seeing almost everyone that came to town.

TIS

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/03/04 02:22 PM

SC how was Billy Joel!? TIS how was Elvis & the Beach Boys?

Ok, since this thread has been about your favorite concerts that you've gone to, let's try something else as well. If you could see a performer/band that you haven't, who would it be? I'd love to see either the original Guns N Roses or the Beatles! (Probably the Beatles though). I can still see Guns N Roses concerts on DVD
Posted By: Mr. Baggins

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/03/04 02:34 PM

I'd like to see a Talking Heads concert from their Remain in Light tour (1980-81).

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/03/04 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MaryCas:
Daigo, being a Tarrytown guy, did you ever see Tarrytown native David Bromberg?? (Who?) I saw him at the Westchester Theater in the mid 70s (Jimmy Buffet opened - pre - Marguaritaville)and at Carnegie Hall with Taj Majhal.
I did not grow up in Westchester I have lived here since 1990. I have heard of David Bromberg but can't say I am familiar w/ his music. Who would you compare him too

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/03/04 08:12 PM

Irishman12, thanks for asking. The Elvis concert was a dream come true to me, since I had been a fan since a little girl. So glad I did go, since two years later he died. I even strayed from my seat and walked up to the stage to try to get a scarf, but unfortunately didn't luck out. :p

The Beach Boys I saw about 8 yrs ago. They had various concerts in California here and it so happened it was at Glen Helen, an outdoor pavilion not too far from where I live. It was a beautiful summer night in California, and although I wish I could have seen them in my youth, it was a lot of fun.

I would just love to see Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen and Elton John some day.

TIS

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/03/04 09:41 PM

I would kill to see the Beatles.
Posted By: Blake

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/04/04 02:58 AM

-Our Lady Peace with everclear
-Sum 41 with goldfinger
-snoop dogg
-alexisonfire (canadian band)
-Brittney spears
-Christina Aguilera
-Shania Twain
-50 cent
-Sher

I am soon seeing Sting and Alice Cooper so they should be uptop.

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/04/04 04:26 AM

Hey Blake!! I can't believe I forgot to mention, but I saw Alice Cooper in the mid seventies. I have no idea what he is like now, but at the time I saw him he was just starting and I loved the two "albums" I had by him, "Love It To Death" & Killer" (maybe they were 8 tracks) :p . Don't know if you've heard of them.

One song in particular called "The Ballad of Dwight Frye", was awesome to see live. Without going into detail, he had a guillotine (sp) on stage and an elaborate production (which was quite still quite new at the time) and enacted his own beheading. It was one of the best concerts I had seen. Definitely a "different" type act, but entertaining. Of course being a little high made it all the more captivating. :p

TIS
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/04/04 05:26 AM

GREAT topic and conversation starter! I can't pick/rank 10 but I'll make some occasional observations in this thread...and share two memorable shows representing two extremes -- a folk act and a rock act.

TIS -- The Buckinghams! I think you can still see them in Chicago on the summer festival circuit along with The Cryan' Shames, The Ides of March, and some permutation of the New Colony Six!

DMF -- these lists ALWAYS have a club date involving The Replacements. Mine would include seeing them at The Cubby Bear in Chicago around the same time...there was a big drunk guy throwing pennies at the band!

MaryCas -- Bromberg, Buffet, Bonnie Raitt and that crowd were regulars on the Lincoln Ave. folk club circuit in Chicago at that time. Buffet would perform at the Quiet Night in Chicago. He was so entrenched in the Chicago folk scene, his picture appears on the cover of Steve Goodman's album "Somebody Else's Troubles."

As a student, I saw Steve Goodman in Champaign, Illinois on a snowy day in December just before final exams in 1977. His flight from Chicago was delayed. His opening act, Harry Waller, played for nearly 90 minutes. And when Goodman finally hit the stage, he played solo for close to two hours, then brought Harry Waller on stage for his encore of nearly 30 minutes.

Here's one where the band, the venue, and the year all click. I saw Guns 'n' Roses at the Danville Civic Center (Danville, Illinois) in 1988. Last year of the Reagan administration, distressed blue collar town during an economic recession, hard rockin' band, 4500 people crammed like sardines into a municipal ice arena, lots of guys in mullets, and girls in black tank tops. The band had cancelled a bunch of shows earlier in the tour and people wondered whether or not they would show-up that night. They did. They came, they saw, they rocked.

Start a thread on music...and I'll ramble all night.

tony b.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/04/04 10:33 AM

In order:
1. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Landover, MD Sept 2003
2. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Cleveland, OH Nov 14, 1999
3. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Cleveland, OH Nov 15, 1999
4. Rolling Stones, Cleveland, OH Sept 1989
5. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Pittsburgh, PA April 25, 2000
6. The Concert for the opening of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland, OH Sept 1994
7. Eagles, Cleveland, OH 1994
8. Bruce Springsteen, Cleveland, OH Aug 22, 1992
9. Kiss, Cleveland OH July 1996
10. Robert Plant & Stevie Ray Vaughn, Cuyahoga Falls, OH May 1988

I would have loved to see (in no particular order):
1. Led Zeppelin 1973-1976
2. The Doors 1967-1968
3. Rolling Stones anytime between 1964-1972
4. Billy Joel
5. Guns N' Roses 1987
6. Bob Dylan before he went electric
7. Tom Petty
8. The Beatles in their last 2-3 years as a band
9. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band during their 1978-79 "Darkness on the Edge of Town" tour

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/04/04 01:47 PM

I forgot the following:

Edgar & Johnnie Winter
Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels
Neil Diamond
The Four Seasons

TIS

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/04/04 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Hey Blake!! I can't believe I forgot to mention, but I saw Alice Cooper in the mid seventies. I have no idea what he is like now, but at the time I saw him he was just starting and I loved the two "albums" I had by him, "Love It To Death" & Killer" (maybe they were 8 tracks) :p . Don't know if you've heard of them.

One song in particular called "The Ballad of Dwight Frye", was awesome to see live. Without going into detail, he had a guillotine (sp) on stage and an elaborate production (which was quite still quite new at the time) and enacted his own beheading. It was one of the best concerts I had seen. Definitely a "different" type act, but entertaining. Of course being a little high made it all the more captivating. :p

TIS
Hey TIS! Haha, that would be cool if he did that stuff. Hopefully as an older guy now he is still into that. I have'nt listened to much of him my whole life, so it should be interesting to see him. And do I mention my moms friend is getting the tickets free? I also shoulda mentioned I have seen vanilla ice, aerosmith and elton john. Alot of bands for a pretty unkown city considering elton only did to stops in Canada.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/04/04 08:03 PM

Top 10, in no particular order (subject to change):

Bruce Springsteen
Paul Simon, in Central Park
Simon & Garfunkel (first reunion, 10 yrs ago)
Billy Joel
Elton John (wish it was together with BJ!)
R.E.M. (multiple times at college for free )
Rush (multiple times )
The Ramones (outside, for free )
U2
Metallica/GnR

Honorable Mention:

Replacements (they were too drunk to be Top 10
Projekt Revolution (Linkin Park, Korn, Snoop)
Lollapalooza '92 (Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Ice Cube,...)

too many to remember...

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/04/04 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:

Replacements (they were too drunk to be Top 10 )

Husker Du

Hey Geoff I saw the Replacements twice, once they were too drunk to make the list, the second time they were on fire and made the list.

Also, how was Husker Du, I have always liked them and kick myself for not seeing them live.
I also like Bob Mould's solo work as well as Sugar.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/04/04 11:40 PM

When I saw the 'Mats I wasn't yet that familiar with them -- it was a while ago! -- but I do remember everyone always wondering where Bob was They couldn't really get thru their set, with sloppy playing and forgotten lyrics, but, I'd see it again anytime!

Husker Du kicked ass, and very loudly! A friend came along who wasn't a fan, and somehow he fell asleep through it!
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/05/04 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
Elton John (wish it was together with BJ!)
I'm sure Elton got his BJ.

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 09/05/04 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beth E:
[quote]Originally posted by J Geoff:
[b] Elton John (wish it was together with BJ!)
I'm sure Elton got his BJ. [/b][/quote]
Posted By: raggingbull2003

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 03:06 AM

Speaking of concerts, I just saw Reel Big Fish last night. Most of you in the older crowd probably never heard of them, but they are what you would call a Ska band. Out of all the bands I have ever seen, they were by far the best. I highly recommend it if they are playing in the area.

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 03:08 AM

I saw Beastie Boys a couple of weeks ago in Austin and it was so GREAT to see The Legends live. I've ALWAYS wanted to see them & it was a fun show to say the least.
Posted By: the bad guy tm

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 03:24 AM

1.cheap trick 25th annvrsry rockford ill 1999
2cheap trick jefferson ,wi 2003
3.pink floyd madison ,wi 1988
4. iron maiden somewhere in time tour madison ,wi 1986
5.metallica and justice for all madison, wi 1988
6 cheap trick janesville ,wi 1989
7. cheap trick beloit ,wi 1993
8.judas priest alpine valley ,wi 1987
9.ozfest alpine valley 2003
10.jimmy buffet alpine valley 2003
also saw motley crue and ozzy in madison wi in 1983 but iwas was reall young and dont remember much of it lol. but ozzy was one crazy man then compared to now.

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 06:25 AM

I saw Sting and Annie Lennox a few weeks ago. Sting is the man. He came back out and did five extra songs everytime he was supposed to go off.
It was cool being 15 feet away from him.
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 07:43 AM

(Not in order)

*Alfred Brendel-- Dorothy Chandler Pavilion (don't remember the date... Between 2001 and 2003)

*David Helfgott-- Hollywood Bowl (late 90's)

*Gil Shaham-- Walt Disney Concert Hall (2004)

*No Doubt-- Arrowhead Pond (2001?)

*Gato Barbieri-- Universal Amphitheater (late 90's)

*Madonna-- Staples Center (2001)

*Billy Joel & Elton John-- MGM Grand in Vegas (2003)

*Metallica-- Great Western Forum (2004)

*Elvis Costello-- Universal Amphitheater (1998)

*Rosemary Clooney & Michael Feinstein-- Hollywood Bowl (2000)

By the way, Cream really is finally getting back together for a reunion concert, even though they had said they'd never do one... their rehearsals start in January. So I'll DEFINITELY go to that, when it happens, and I'm sure it will end up on my top ten. Anyone else as excited about that as I am?

As for what I wish I could have seen, Frank Sinatra tops that list, as well as Bobby Darin, and a whole Rat Pack show... also Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Bette Midler (maybe someday!!), The Doors, Boston, Chicago, Scorpions (they'll be in L.A. next Friday, I might go), Depeche Mode, and many, many others. Sometime soon I want to go to the annual Arrowfest (TIS might know about this) which is a concert put on by a classic rock station here... this year, it featured (among others) Boston and Styx. I also have to get myself to some more jazz shows... I've been to a few, but no amazing ones yet.

Unfortunately, I hardly ever go to popular concerts... besides the pop/rock concerts I've listed, there are very few that I've been to, maybe 15-20 altogether. I go to classical music concerts a LOT more often, at least 6 or 7 per year since I was very, very young.

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 10:43 AM

I really enjoyed Elton John and Metallica too. I never went to his concert when he came but Snoop Dogg was here last year and I met him outside his hotel room. He told me to stay in school, it was pretty crazy. My friends dad owned the club he wast at too so he got to meet him a few times and he saw him hungover apparently the next day after an after party.
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 05:09 PM

I saw KISS on their 2000 Farewell tour... :rolleyes: (It's basically still going on. )

I also have seen a slew of bands who have stopped by the venues around here. I saw Ray Romano and Kevin James. I also saw Weezer one time with a friend.

Then, in 7th grade, I saw this Band called "Beatlemania". They are a professional Beatles cover group. I was flat out amazed. I had never seen people who looked like and acted like the Beatles so well.

I heard this summer,(Now in college) that a band called "1964:The Tribute" was going to be playing at a local venue. Remembering the 7th grade experience I picked up the phone and ordered tickets right then. I went and saw the number one Beatles Cover band In The World. These guys have been touring the world for over 20 years and have since perfected their appearences and voices and mannerisms of the original Beatles like a science. The guys joked on stage just like the Beatles and werw absolutely 100% pure Beatles. I, nor could my fellow Beatles expert friend, tell the difference in any noticeable way. Their voices and style of playing was 100% the same. I loved it, and would recomment it to any Beatles fan out there. Ringo came to watch them one time and said he's never seen anything like it. Go and check it out man. I was blown away. Being in the front row center also made it unbelieveable. I must have called right when they started advertising for seats.

Doc
Posted By: Krlea

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
The ones that stand out as the best ones are:

Elvis Presley (New Year's Eve 75 in Pontiac, MI)

TIS
TIS, I am SO jealous. I love Elvis. How cool that you got to see him on New Year's Eve. I bet it was awesome.
Posted By: archangel144

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 07:46 PM

Hmmmm...I saw Megadeth twice in 96/97 (I was eleven and twelve). I also went to a Korn/Rob Zombie concert in 99; the mosh pit was too cool.

I went to Funker Vogt a couple of weeks ago. I love everything except for the whole right knee blowing out thing in the pit. That was probably my favorite show (again, exept for the injury). My friend got an email saying that we, the crowd, rocked so hard that Funker Vogt was amazed and wants to come back next year. It would have been cooler if we were invited back stage, but that almost never happens.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 08:37 PM

Rolling Stones at Madison Square Garden, in 1972 or '73 (Stevie Wonder was the opening act).

One of Elton John's very first live U.S. appearances at the Fillmore East in NYC. The headliner for that show was Leon Russell, which is who I had come to see.

And just about every "classic rock" band you can name from 1969-1971 at the Fillmore.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:

And just about every "classic rock" band you can name from 1969-1971 at the Fillmore.
Including the Allman Brothers.

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 09:03 PM

Blake- Did you ever make it to the warped tour?
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
[quote]Originally posted by plawrence:
[b]
just about every "classic rock" band you can name from 1969-1971 at the Fillmore.
Including the Allman Brothers. [/b][/quote]Several times. They always seemed to tour with the J. Geils Band, and they did many shows together at the Fillmore.

I also saw Duane with E.C. and Derek & The Dominoes.
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/19/04 11:16 PM

Plaw, that is SO cool. TIS, you too. Music isn't the same anymore. You were very fortunate... Right place, right time. I wish I was around in the 60s and 70s. Sometimes when my mom says something cool like that, that she did, just to get on her nerves, I say, "Wow!! I wish I was that old!!"

She just says, "Kid, you're asking for a fresh one." Can you believe that? Almost 20 years old, and I'm still getting threatened with a "fresh one."

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/20/04 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by raggingbull2003:
Blake- Did you ever make it to the warped tour?
Sadly, no. I would have gaven almost anything to go but it was'nt in my city and all of me and my friends plans kind of fell apart. Now that I get my liscence in a couple months, it's not happening again. Did you go?

Re: Top Ten Concerts - 11/20/04 05:07 AM

Nah, but I really wanted to though. I had work, and most of my friends just blew it off anyway. I definetly want to go next year though.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET