Home

Hip hop movement throughout the US

Posted By: Revis_Knicks

Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/07/16 01:48 AM

I've always been a hip hop fan. It's been well documented that hip hop started in the Bronx in 1973 but where did it move from there? Did it move to the rest of the 5 boroughs, then jersey and then Pennsylvania etc.? Or maybe it even hit jersey or Pennsylvania before it became known in all 5 boroughs. When year was it that you guys first heard hip hop?
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/07/16 02:00 AM

Rapper's Delight by Sugarhill Gang is probably the first time "hip hop" was played on the radio airwaves. Before then I'd say that it was just heard locally at parties and talent shows in the Bronx,Harlem, and Brooklyn.

Disco was still big at the time...so that overshadowed everything else...remember..the track for Rapper's Delight was a hit disco song that was still being played "Good Times" by Chic.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/07/16 03:19 AM

Sounds like Rapper's delight was what brought hip hop to the light. I'm from Jersey city originally and from what I hear, hip hop became pretty big there really early. JC and Harlem I believe very well could've been the 2nd places to introduce hip hop after the Bronx.
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/07/16 04:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
When year was it that you guys first heard hip hop?
'82 Kurtis Blow~~Christmas Rappin'

The greatest and most illustrious rappers, IMO, hail from the borough of Queens.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/07/16 05:20 AM

Revis,
The story about JC and hiphop is sort of a dirty little secret. LOT of people in early hip hop culture were from NJ, but downplayed it because if you weren't from NY, you weren't official.

Specifically about JC, the Awesome 2....Teddy Ted and Special K....credited with the first hiphop radio show on earth, were from JC....but the show was based in NY.

I never knew they were Jersey guys until a few years back. ..and I can count on 4 fingers the acts from JC that have ever come out(saying they were from Jersey), so I'm probably wrong about JC's hip hop roots.

That's a good call,Revis...gonna look that up. As a guy from Newark, I didn't associate Jersey with hip hop really until the Flavor Unit came about.
Posted By: BlackFamily

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/07/16 03:14 PM

It's hard for me to recall the first hip hop song I heard but most likely whoever was the most popular between 95-97. Hip Hop made it way into my city's ears in 1986. There were different local rappers and rap groups from the Northside & Southside.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/07/16 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Revis,
The story about JC and hiphop is sort of a dirty little secret. LOT of people in early hip hop culture were from NJ, but downplayed it because if you weren't from NY, you weren't official.

Specifically about JC, the Awesome 2....Teddy Ted and Special K....credited with the first hiphop radio show on earth, were from JC....but the show was based in NY.

I never knew they were Jersey guys until a few years back. ..and I can count on 4 fingers the acts from JC that have ever come out(saying they were from Jersey), so I'm probably wrong about JC's hip hop roots.

That's a good call,Revis...gonna look that up. As a guy from Newark, I didn't associate Jersey with hip hop really until the Flavor Unit came about.

Newark used to be rough. So was JC. I remember hearing horror stories about the curries woods projects. My cousin was a cop and he said the most dangerous neighborhoods he has been in are Greenville in JC(curries woods projects area) and East New York, Brooklyn. I didn't know that those guys were from jersey though that's news to me. I don't understand why people had to say they were from NY. North Jersey might as well be a 6th borough of sorts because of the proximity and similarities in culture, slang etc.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/07/16 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: BlackFamily
It's hard for me to recall the first hip hop song I heard but most likely whoever was the most popular between 95-97. Hip Hop made it way into my city's ears in 1986. There were different local rappers and rap groups from the Northside & Southside.

I first heard hip hop sometime in the 80s too but I really started to become a big fan around the time KRS-One, Kane and Rakim came along. Then the guys in the 90s really elevated the game. I think hip hop must've hit JC in 73'(the yer hip hop began).

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/07/16 06:10 PM

Revis,

On a side note, for the longest time I thought your pic was bubba from Forrest Gump but since I've been watching the wire a lot I now know that it's Marlo haha

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/08/16 04:02 AM

@Revis,

that's hilarious!!!!

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/08/16 01:53 PM

You can't tell me that at first glance that doesn't look like bubba hahahahaha
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/11/16 06:54 AM

I don't know when it reached the South, but some of the first albums I can remember hitting here and hitting big were:

Eric B. and Rakim: Paid In Full (87 or 88)
NWA: Straight Outta Compton (88)
Eazy E: Eazy Duz It (88)
Cypress Hill: Cypress Hill (91)

Then the South got real heavy once we had our own in it:

Geto Boys: The Geto Boys (90)
UGK: Too Hard To Swallow (92), Super Tight (93)
Outkast: I'm not typing the whole album name (94)

But that Eric B. and Rakim and NWA was the first rap songs I can really remember off the top of my head right now as being the "first". I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting. While The Geto Boys had my attention, none of them hit me as hard as Super Tight did by UGK. They put the South on the map in terms of mainstream and I remember EVERYBODY was wanting to borrow Super Tight as it was really the first CD I ever bought. All the others were on bootleg cassette tape.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/11/16 11:25 AM

Originally Posted By: dixiemafia

Outkast: I'm not typing the whole album name (94)

smile good one,Dixie

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/11/16 11:29 AM

You can't tell me that at first glance that doesn't look like bubba hahahahaha

I forgot he had a low haircut in that role. I know who the actor is, so at first I didn't think so...but I can see it.

That's why I could never enter a life of crime though. I'd get railroaded in court. A guy who looks like LL Cool J would do something and Revis as the eyewitness would swear that it was me.

lol

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/12/16 12:06 PM

@Dixie
lol
Southernplayasticcadillacmusik

David Banner: Baptised in Dirty Water 2 my first rap CD. Southern Rap wise from school days was : Triple Six Mafia, Swishahouse & S.U.C Rappers, David Banner, Geto Boys, Trae the Truth.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/12/16 10:10 PM

What about Slick Rick's album did you guys get that?
Posted By: Faithful1

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/13/16 01:07 AM

The first rap song I heard was probably "Rapper's Delight," but the funny thing is that the credited rap song, "King Tim III" sounds less dated. It's got some good R&B and funk mixed in with the rap, although some of the rapping reminds me of country square dancing "rap".

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/13/16 01:48 AM

Down South we didn't Revis.

Yea Gets I wound up typing more letters than just typing it all out lol Go figure lol

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/13/16 05:20 PM

I know Illmatic was huge when it dropped but what was the impact like down south?

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/15/16 12:12 AM

one of my favorite songs....not really relevant to the topic, but good rundown of early history of hip hop within NY.

Bothers me that they never interview Just when they do documentaries about hip hop. This was the first song to really pay homage and detail old school hip hop history.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/15/16 10:54 PM

I know Illmatic was huge when it dropped but what was the impact like down south?

Nas was well liked in the South but he wasn't huge yet to us when Illmatic came out. He kind of grew a following, and I would say when "I Am..." came out is when he really got big, then of course he topped it off when Stillmatic came out and he nailed Jay Z's ass.
Posted By: thedudeabides87

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/16/16 12:02 AM

Had the pleasure of meeting KRS One at Rock the Bells 2009 he could tell I was nervous/timid when I walked up to him he was really nice guy asked me if I wanted a picture with him, really down the earth guy. Great show as well Damien Marley was the highlight for me.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/16/16 08:47 PM

Damien Marley sounds just like his Dad, more so than any of the others. I still listen to "Welcome To Jamrock" and "Road To Zion"

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/16/16 11:34 PM

@Dude,

KRS is my favorite rapper ever(along with Mr.Scarface).Was he really tall? We ran into his brother ,Kenny Parker, years ago and dude had to have been 6' 5" and 270.

@Dixie,

Damien was nicknamed "junior gong" because he is a true tough guy, just like his father "tuff gong" Bob Marley. I like his music, he did an album with Nas a while back,which was decent.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/17/16 05:02 PM

Yeah KRS was great. Never really got into him as much as others but definitely a pioneer. And unlike a lot of old school rappers he actually embraces the new school. I think Jay and Nas are the best I've heard from my experience. But there's so many other great rappers out there
Posted By: Faithful1

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/17/16 07:33 PM

My favorite old school song was "I Go To Work" by Kool Moe Dee. Didn't even know about this James Bond-style video before, but the song has a positive message about having future job goals.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/17/16 08:05 PM

Can't believe I didn't list Scarface's first album. It was pretty big here too.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/17/16 08:36 PM

Regional difference is always interesting to know as well. I want to say that down south ( mainly the Sipp) the radio will play Nas " If I rule the world (original)", " I know I can ( one of his best works)", & once in a blue moon " Made you look". Jay-Z , B.I.G ( of course), & French Montana are the reoccurring NYC rappers that get airplay. Mainly who's single is popular out the NY gets played but many regional popular acts don't get played. I don't understand Boosie's popularity in my state nor Kevin Gates. A damn shame since Big Krit doesn't get equal or more support.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/18/16 12:36 AM

@Gets

Yes he was tall.

Damien Marley and Nas performed together during part of Marley's set, this was before the the album was recorded if I am remembering correctly

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/18/16 03:14 AM

A old school Memphis video : G Style- Gangsta Walk

http://youtu.be/NCaajwgFr6M
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/18/16 02:12 PM

I've played guitar since I was 15, and played in a number of bands,metal, grgunge, poppy bubblegum shit, oldies, etc. But I've always had a soft spot for hip hop. I was bumping 'Pac, Snoop, Biggie, fucken WU-TANG (its for the children!)
I'm a huge fan of the battle scene, guys like Rone, Madness and of course The Saurus. Believe it or not, there is a thriving hip-hop culture in Australia. It's not for everyone (some find the accent gimmicky, but I reckon if you rap in anything but your normal voice, your not being real). Obviously too, there's a massive difference in lyrical content. Although having said that, there is an emerging "gutter rap" movement. From what I've heard, they're kinda hard [BadWord]. Drug dealers and stabby and shit. Check Kerser if your interested.

Check it: Pegz

And one a bit different;

Everone loves Hilltop Hoods. They're pioneers in the scene;

TZU. Cool video, an a bit different. They're a full band with an MC.
[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/NUtpCz1fzUM[/video]

Drapht; my mum listens to this song. Thats how mainstream some artists have become.

There's way too many awesome rappers to link.
360 made it pretty big in the battle scene for a while. Justice took out Scribble Jam a few years back. It's a Got Beef event (an Australian battle league). It's a 20 minute battle (overtime in the alley next to the venue) but it's fucken classic.
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/18/16 02:12 PM

Fuck. I've forgotten how to embed youtube vids. Any help?

EDIT: thedudeabides, you're a fucken ledge mate. Thanks heaps. Seven fucken years and I still couldn't figure it out.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/18/16 02:14 PM

Take the "s" out of https

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/18/16 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: BlackFamily
Regional difference is always interesting to know as well. I want to say that down south ( mainly the Sipp) the radio will play Nas " If I rule the world (original)", " I know I can ( one of his best works)", & once in a blue moon " Made you look". Jay-Z , B.I.G ( of course), & French Montana are the reoccurring NYC rappers that get airplay. Mainly who's single is popular out the NY gets played but many regional popular acts don't get played. I don't understand Boosie's popularity in my state nor Kevin Gates. A damn shame since Big Krit doesn't get equal or more support.

My Nephew thinks anything Kevin Gates says is gold. There was 2 or 3 of his songs I liked but that was it. Lil Boosie is ok, but I just can't get too deep into his stuff either. He's lucky he ain't still sitting in Angola for real after that murder crap.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 05/19/16 06:32 PM

Also forgot Public Enemy, they were big here as well.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 04/07/17 07:31 PM

Good youtube series about true hip hop history. DJ Kay Slay interviews pioneers of the culture.

First episode was with Kool DJ Red Alert

there are 7 episodes so far
Posted By: alicecooper

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 04/09/17 06:12 PM

Uggg rap. Please kill me.

Ok I hunted down and paid for a dub tape of me so horny when I was like 11 or 12. Back in the old days. First rap song a lot of white kids heard was probably the theme song from fresh prince?

And the metal band anthrax did that bring the noise song with public enemy which many metal fans will never forgive them.

I admit there is some early 90's stuff that's kinda cool, when they actually used instruments or at least ripped off old tracks that were written on real instruments. Oh excuse me, sampled. Pfffff learn to play or fuck off.

Me so horny
Mind playing tricks on me
How do u want it
California love
Naughty by nature
Mama said knock you out
Today was a good day
Deeper shade of soul

Ice t the girl tried to kill me--you guys remember that one?
Posted By: alicecooper

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 04/09/17 06:17 PM

Even though I didn't like most of it the old stuff (90's) is god like compared to this shot today. Kind of like how some metal got so hardcore it's not even really music anymore.

Isn't there a George Clinton and p funk album that is the most sampled album in the history of hip hop? The one with atomic dog maybe?

I remember seeing Menace II Society and that house party scene in the beginning I was like guys! There's this cool song in the background, someone covered that fucking snoop dog song but made it cool! Lol

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 06/04/17 07:34 PM

Rest in Peace to The Educated Rapper from UTFO
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 06/05/17 11:59 PM

Does Toni Basel do hip hop dancer she is 73 now and still teaches today believe it or not. She was also an actress played a prostitute in the movie easy rider and even had a hit song.

You can see her dance on YouTube it looks like hip hop to me and she was doing it before the 70s.
Posted By: Alfanosgirl

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 06/06/17 03:55 AM

Rest in Peace to The Educated Rapper from UTFO

I remember that song. RIP.
Posted By: Alfanosgirl

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 06/06/17 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Footreads
Does Toni Basel do hip hop dancer she is 73 now and still teaches today believe it or not. She was also an actress played a prostitute in the movie easy rider and even had a hit song.

You can see her dance on YouTube it looks like hip hop to me and she was doing it before the 70s.

She's 73 wth? Your half Italian and you write her name as Basel lol just busting you basanagol grin This is what I read on wiki:

Basil is one of the seven original Lockers, the street dance group considered "the group that changed the face of dance." She is recognized as a seminal influence in bringing street dance to the attention of the American public.
Posted By: RollinBones

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 06/20/17 09:16 PM

Prodigy dead at 42.

This is a tough one, Prodigy was one of my favorites. Read his autobiography and everything, guess that sickle cell got to him.

RIP to a legend.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 06/21/17 02:18 AM

Rollin,

yeah shocking to find out. Guy had a separate career as an author post g-unit. He had a prison cook book come out recently, the autobio and a few novels out.

Thought he had tackled and figured out how to deal with Sickle Cell.

He made peace and took a picture with Keith Murray a few years back.

Posted By: RollinBones

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 06/21/17 08:56 PM

Yeah it was good to see P make peace with a lot of people he got into friction with over the years like Capone and Noreaga, Havoc, etc. A lot of people weren't happy that he wrote that book, but I won't lie I enjoyed it a lot. I still wonder if it was really Ashanti that leaked those ballet photos of P to Jay-Z back in the day.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 06/30/17 12:18 AM

Rollin,

the new drink champs episode is a tribute to Prodigy, so it's interesting that you mentioned Nore in your last post. I didn't know that they made peace.

Podcast opens with a weird story that had Nore being in the same city,Las Vegas, that Mobb Deep was touring in the night P passed. Nore wasn't supposed to be in LV that night....and he happened to take the stage with the act that followed Mobb on the set list.

Not only did Ashanti provide the pictures, but I still have the XXL magazine where the interviewer gave Mobb Deep that info.

I can't put up the link because of the language, but there is a HILARIOUS video of Prodigy and Lakey the Kid telling their own versions of the chain snatching incident.

Re: Hip hop movement throughout the US - 07/01/17 05:13 PM

The MJ pics weren't bad compared to some of the other pictures.

© 2024 GangsterBB.NET