Home

Presidential pardons

Posted By: bigboy

Presidential pardons - 02/27/15 12:26 PM

In less than 2 years Obama will be leaving us. Who do you think he will grant Presidential pardons to on his way out???
I will start with Ray Nagin and that rasta in Philly who shot the police officer. Any guesses ????
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: Presidential pardons - 02/27/15 12:33 PM

same as it ever was
same as it ever was

mumia won't be pardoned, but can you name convicts that other presidents have pardoned or just repeating what a talk show host said recently?
Posted By: Malandrino

Re: Presidential pardons - 02/27/15 10:38 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_peo...e_United_States
Posted By: BAM_233

Re: Presidential pardons - 02/27/15 11:09 PM

Notable ones I noticed is Hoffa by Nixon, Nixon by Ford, Robert Lee by Ford (even though Grant pardoned a lot of the Confederate leaders), Patty Hearst by Carter, George Steinbrenner (had no idea about this one), and Roger Clinton Jr. by his brother Bill.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Presidential pardons - 02/28/15 07:11 AM

Can Presidents pardon themselves??

Re: Presidential pardons - 02/28/15 07:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

I don't believe so. If they could, Nixon really screwed up not pardoning himself, and staying in office.
Posted By: thedudeabides87

Re: Presidential pardons - 02/28/15 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: BAM_233

I don't believe so. If they could, Nixon really screwed up not pardoning himself, and staying in office.

Gerald Ford pardoned Nixon, it would be a pretty twisted country allowing you to commit a crime and then just pardon yourself
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: Presidential pardons - 02/28/15 11:38 AM

thanks

What's interesting about the list is, don't know if you all remember a group called the Fugees. Hip hop group out of NJ that made a big pop splash in the late 1990s. An associate of theirs and unofficial member of the group John Forte was caught running liquid coke smuggling ring.

He's on the list of people that George W. pardoned and I thought it was a joke at first.

The singer Carly Simon was behind the effort so I guess she still has a lot of pull.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Presidential pardons - 02/28/15 12:11 PM

Article II does not place any limitations on Presidential authority for [criminal] offenses against the United States except impeachment. Thus, President Nixon would still have been subject to civil suits and state prosecutions.

However, I believe he could have pardoned himself
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Presidential pardons - 02/28/15 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: getthesenets
same as it ever was
same as it ever was

mumia won't be pardoned, but can you name convicts that other presidents have pardoned or just repeating what a talk show host said recently?
No Sir, I haven't heard this on any talk show and haven't listened to talk shows in years. I know Clinton pardoned Mark Rich and probably anyone else who contributed to him. I was just thinking about contriversial ones and trying to get something going here.

Re: Presidential pardons - 02/28/15 02:23 PM

This a list of some of the most notable pardons (and commutations) granted by US Presidents since George washington. I usually don't cite Wiki sources, but I reviewed it and it looks legit:

Posted By: Dwalin2011

Re: Presidential pardons - 02/28/15 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
This a list of some of the most notable pardons (and commutations) granted by US Presidents since George washington. I usually don't cite Wiki sources, but I reviewed it and it looks legit:

Nixon's pardons were the most shameful imho: 2 gangsters (who in my opinion surely committed murder on certain points of their careers) and 1 war criminal (killed children and women). Not some petty crooks.
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: Presidential pardons - 02/28/15 02:49 PM

I guess if you are a criminal, it pays to contribute to a president, further proving to me , that there is not one politician alive who doesn't sell him or herself like a whore in the street, presidential pardons can be bought.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Presidential pardons - 02/28/15 09:31 PM

Obama will probably follow the path of most recent presidents and pardon his big contributors who ran afoul of the law.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Presidential pardons - 03/01/15 10:16 PM

Bill Clinton pardoned several Hasidic Jews who fraudulently bilked money from the government. That year Hillary got elected as Senator from New York (carpetbagger). She got 99% of the Orthodox/Hasidic vote. Coincidence?

Re: Presidential pardons - 03/01/15 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Bill Clinton pardoned several Hasidic Jews who fraudulently bilked money from the government. That year Hillary got elected as Senator from New York (carpetbagger). She got 99% of the Orthodox/Hasidic vote. Coincidence?

I thought she became senator around '04? Maybe I got it confused with her re-election.

Re: Presidential pardons - 03/01/15 11:56 PM

President Clinton's last day in office was 1/20/2001; Hillary Clinton's first day as a US Senator was 1/3/2001.
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Presidential pardons - 03/02/15 02:18 AM

Obama already pardoned 5 million illegal aliens.

Re: Presidential pardons - 03/02/15 04:14 AM

President Clinton's last day in office was 1/20/2001; Hillary Clinton's first day as a US Senator was 1/3/2001.

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

Re: Presidential pardons - 03/02/15 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: BAM_233

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

You're welcome. By the way, I forgot to mention that the pardons mentioned above were not pardons. President Clinton only reduced the term of their sentencing, the least of which was 24 months and such clemency was granted after Mrs. Clinton's senatorial election.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Presidential pardons - 03/02/15 01:26 PM

Yes. This was discussed by Nixon's lawyers with Alexander Haig. It is a broad statement that presidents can grant pardons. The PR fallout would have been terrible and, to their credit, Nixon and his lawyers recognized the damage that would have been done with a self-pardon.

If you're interested in this, read The Final Days by Woodward & Bernstein. It's a fascinating look at the last 100 days of the Nixon presidency. Nixon even refused to pardon his two top administration men, Haldeman & Ehrlichman. In fact, Haldeman called repeatedly to request a pardon in the days leading up to Nixon's resignation.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET