Home

MLK Day

Posted By: Belmont

MLK Day - 01/19/15 06:42 PM

MLK gave one of the best speeches in our history, he was truly a great man. Its a shame that for all he did, you have still have blacks refusing to move forward..
Interesting note, " i have a dream" was not part of his written speech, it was improvised . Pretty remarkable if you ask me. He might have thought about it just prior to giving the speech but it definitely wasnt written with the rest of the speech. One of our country's true hero's
Posted By: Footreads

Re: MLK Day - 01/19/15 08:02 PM

Best speech I have ever heard. I wonder what he would think of Al Sharpton had he lived today?
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: MLK Day - 01/19/15 08:10 PM

MLK was agreat man. He would probably say and feel about Sharpton the same way we all do. Sharpton is the antithesis of MLK.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: MLK Day - 01/19/15 08:25 PM

MLK is spinning in his grave about Al & Jesse
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: MLK Day - 01/19/15 10:41 PM

I was a teen in the era of Civil Rights and the Viet Nam War. My wife and I were reminiscing about the historical time that we grew up in. Looking back we now have a whole different perspective. Back then we were hopeful that the world would change, but sadly it hasn't' changed too much. Hatred and racism has just shifted. I am saddened to realize that my grand children will likely grow up in a world that still has the prejudice and hypocrisy that I hoped would disappear. I don't like to be cynical, but as it is said, history will repeat itself.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: MLK Day - 01/19/15 10:54 PM

Anyone remember after MLK's assassination the touching speech that RFK gave.

Including, in part:

For those of you who are black and are tempted to fill with -- be filled with hatred and mistrust of the injustice of such an act, against all white people, I would only say that I can also feel in my own heart the same kind of feeling. I had a member of my family killed, but he was killed by a white man.

I forgot just how close their assassinations were. MLK April 68 & RFK June 68. Seemed like the nation was still reeling over JFKs assassination (I know I was). frown 3 assassinations within 5 yrs.

TIS

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/rfkonmlkdeath.html
Posted By: LittleNicky

Re: MLK Day - 01/20/15 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Footreads
Best speech I have ever heard. I wonder what he would think of Al Sharpton had he lived today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5FR1LGsT7E
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: MLK Day - 01/20/15 11:42 AM

Little known fact but MLK came to the UK and my hometown of Newcastle in 1967 to receive an honorary degree from the university. I believe this would only be a few months before his assassination.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: MLK Day - 01/20/15 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Footreads

My guess... he would think he's a gold-digging opportunist.
Posted By: olivant

Re: MLK Day - 01/21/15 05:04 PM

Kimmel did some street interviews about MLK. Can you believe that some think he's still alive? The following will make a believer out of you:

http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/20/mlk-gave-a-speech-yesterday-morons-tell-jimmy-kimmel-video/
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: MLK Day - 01/21/15 07:50 PM

I was in my early twenties and, I remember viet nam and all the demonstrations against the war, thousands upon thousands poured into the streets to voice their disapproval of that war.

what happened? the war went on for 8 more years, Lyndon Johnson didn't care if their were 5o million against the war, just like today the people cannot stop wars.

the people were against it, much of congress was against it, and it still went on, and on. MLK was great, but, he and others like him made no real difference.
Posted By: TheRedZone

Re: MLK Day - 01/23/15 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
I was in my early twenties and, I remember viet nam and all the demonstrations against the war, thousands upon thousands poured into the streets to voice their disapproval of that war.

what happened? the war went on for 8 more years, Lyndon Johnson didn't care if their were 5o million against the war, just like today the people cannot stop wars.

the people were against it, much of congress was against it, and it still went on, and on. MLK was great, but, he and others like him made no real difference.

Right on.. no need to bother getting authorization anymore anyway, that's why even Nobel prize winner Obomber is able to deploy troops without apporbation, you just learn it in the news the next day it happens. The left being mostly anti-war, but highly hypocritical, are giving him a free hand, as opposed to a republican president.
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: MLK Day - 01/23/15 05:41 PM

yes, red zone. political parties make no difference, there are republicans, democrats, and us the people. and both parties ignore the people.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET