Home

Nixon By Nixon on HBO

Posted By: dontomasso

Nixon By Nixon on HBO - 08/07/14 01:50 PM

This is a must-see for political junkies. These tapes show Nixon. to be totally insane, yet also brilliant with his moves regarding China, starting the EPA, cancer initiatives, etc.

The video of him done about 10 years after resignation is also disturbing.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Nixon By Nixon on HBO - 08/10/14 05:39 PM

Very much worth watching. All that intelligence, undone by raving paranoia.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Nixon By Nixon on HBO - 08/10/14 07:00 PM

DT and TB:

I was watching C-SPAN yesterday when they took a call from a guy who said he was 64 and complained that it was only now that he was learning about what went on by the Nixon administration during Watergate and he was blaming the press. I was so hoping that the hosts would have asked him if he had been living under a rock for the past several decades.
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Nixon By Nixon on HBO - 08/10/14 10:39 PM

My wife worked for Nixon, Mitchell, Mudge, Rose, Guthrie and Alexander.

Then the firm changed name to Mudge, Rose, Guthrie and Alexander.

She knew both Nixon and his secretary Rosemary woods.

Then she moved to Sidley! Austin in NY. The Obama's worked in their Chicago office.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Nixon By Nixon on HBO - 08/11/14 09:40 AM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
This is a must-see for political junkies. These tapes show Nixon. to be totally insane, yet also brilliant with his moves regarding China, starting the EPA, cancer initiatives, etc.

The video of him done about 10 years after resignation is also disturbing.

I haven't seen this yet, but did you see "Our Nixon" earlier this year that aired on CNN? It was basically homemovies taken by Nixon's staff, primiarly Haldeman and I want to say Chapin. Apparently Haldeman was very interested in photography and shooting film with his handheld.

Too bad Haldeman wasn't more of an audio buff to help with that 18 1/2 minute gap... whistle
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Nixon By Nixon on HBO - 08/14/14 06:04 PM

Yes, saw Haldemans home movies. Excellent.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Nixon By Nixon on HBO - 08/14/14 09:46 PM

When I worked at Bell Laboratories, we were asked to process that famous tape to see if we could recover the 8 1/2-minute gap. We couldn't.

But that wasn't our only brush with celebrity in the Seventies:

One of our research directors built a digital synthesizer that he said he could use to model the behavior of telephone switching machines in the future. He needed someone who had an "intuitive feel" for that application. He invited none other than Stevie Wonder, who, because he was blind, had that "intuitive feel." The building where he did the experiment practically capsized with people hoping to get a glance of Stevie.

Later, he invited Roger Powell, keyboardist for Todd Rundgren's Utopia, to work with the synthesizer. We got treated to a lot of fine music (and even more weird, nonlinear sounds).

Yes, folks, that's what your telephone bills paid for in those days... tongue
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Nixon By Nixon on HBO - 08/15/14 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
When I worked at Bell Laboratories, we were asked to process that famous tape to see if we could recover the 8 1/2-minute gap. We couldn't.

Researchers believe that the necessary technology to unlock the suspiciously erased gap in the tapes will arrive in the future. I don't know the timetable.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET