Home

Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread

Posted By: NNY78

Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/19/14 04:15 PM

Here are a few to get it started: smile

When they first invented the clock, how did they know what time it was to begin with?

How do you throw away a garbage can?

What do chickens think we taste like?

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Seen and Heard on 95 in South Florida: 30 something lady driving a Toyota Prius with a Pro Life License Plate 80 miles an hour with her knees while putting on her make up, talking on the phone and smoking a cigarette while her 2 year old daughter jumps up and down in the front seat to Kiss's Rock and Roll All Night.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/19/14 04:27 PM

Guys from Butte, Montana and Boise, Idaho and other cow towns who develop an Internet fascination with Italian American criminals in the New York City metro area.

Oops grin.
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/19/14 05:00 PM

Maine is the closest U.S. state to Africa
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/19/14 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1
Maine is the closest U.S. state to Africa

Pittsburgh is farther east than Miami and Reno is farther west than LA.
Posted By: Yankees1951

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/19/14 05:20 PM

You throw out by Garbage can by taping a sign to it that it's trash or ditch in somewhere if you have a truck..

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/19/14 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: NNY78

When they first invented the clock, how did they know what time it was to begin with?

Seen and Heard on 95 in South Florida: 30 something lady driving a Toyota Prius with a Pro Life License Plate 80 miles an hour with her knees while putting on her make up, talking on the phone and smoking a cigarette while her 2 year old daughter jumps up and down in the front seat to Kiss's Rock and Roll All Night.

1. Noon can always be told by sundial from a point of reference. Start the clock at 12 pm at noon.

2. Use a large leaf bag as a garbage bag.

3. They don't think we taste like anything. Chickens have virtually no taste buds, so taste and flavor is not a consideration in their food, let alone things they have no interest in trying to eat. But they can see colors that we can't even imagine.

4. Unsliced bread.

smile
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/19/14 05:25 PM

...when a mosquito bites me on top of my head. Oh..? not literally. I scratch my head when I observe rude behavior, like smokers who throw their butt on the ground just before entering a store. People in supermarkets who leave their cart on the right side of the aisle while they are looking for something on the left side and you can't get past them. Then when you say excuse me, they look at you dumbfounded as to what you are attempting to do.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/19/14 06:03 PM

I have chickens, and I can't believe they have no taste buds, as they definitely have food preferences. They love American cheese, and are strangely addicted to the crunchy noodles from Chinese restaurants.

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/19/14 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Originally Posted By: NNY78

1. Noon can always be told by sundial from a point of reference. Start the clock at 12 pm at noon.

2. Use a large leaf bag as a garbage bag.

3. They don't think we taste like anything. Chickens have virtually no taste buds, so taste and flavor is not a consideration in their food, let alone things they have no interest in trying to eat. But they can see colors that we can't even imagine.

4. Unsliced bread.

smile

Kly, Great answers smile

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/19/14 06:45 PM

^I once had to throw out an old leaky garbage can, and the first time I put it out for trash collection, it was left behind, so that's when I got the oversized leaf bag.

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/19/14 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I have chickens, and I can't believe they have no taste buds, as they definitely have food preferences. They love American cheese, and are strangely addicted to the crunchy noodles from Chinese restaurants.

They certainly do have preferences. My mother's neighbor has a few chickens, and because my mom loves to feed any creature that can find her back yard, the chickens spend a lot of time in her yard along with stray cats, squirrels, skunks, pigeons and an occasional deer or fox. But those chickens are something else. They don't even move for the lawn mower. I had to keep cutting around them and then go back once they decided to move on.

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/20/14 07:05 AM

If nothing ever sticks to Teflon, how do they make Teflon stick to the pan?

Why do black olives come in cans and green olives come in jars?

Why do they put Braille on the drive through bank ATM machines?

Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

You know your getting old when you put away important documents so you won't lose them and then you forget were you put them. confused

Pet Peeves: Kids who tease dogs through a fence. Being asked my telephone number/account number AFTER I already entered it in using the keypad on my phone. I thought I was supposed enter that info to "better assist me".
Posted By: SC

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/20/14 07:19 AM

But those chickens are something else. They don't even move for the lawn mower. I had to keep cutting around them and then go back once they decided to move on.

You have a lot more patience than I have. I would've made chicken salad out of them if they didn't move from the mower.

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/20/14 05:08 PM

We drive on a Parkway and park on a driveway.

If the black box is made to withstand a plane crash, why don't they make the plane from the same material?

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/20/14 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas

If the black box is made to withstand a plane crash, why don't they make the plane from the same material?

And if the box is fluorescent yellow or orange, why call it a black box?

And while we're at it, why do men still have nipples?
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/20/14 05:42 PM

And if the box is fluorescent yellow or orange, why call it a black box?

And while we're at it, why do men still have nipples?

As we all know it's just those damn fenimists trying to prove that they are better at nipples than manly men of the
masculine variety tongue

Or Feminists even lol . No doubt Fenimist are just as bad though tongue

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/20/14 06:38 PM

John Tyler, the 10th president of the United States, has a grandson who's alive today.

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/20/14 07:04 PM

John Tyler, the 10th president of the United States, has a grandson who's alive today.

I read on this link that it was two, unless one of them have died since of course?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2092227/US-president-John-Tylers-grandsons-STILL-ALIVE.html

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/20/14 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Camarel

I read on this link that it was two, unless one of them have died since of course?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2092227/US-president-John-Tylers-grandsons-STILL-ALIVE.html

Not sure, crazy either way.

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/20/14 07:10 PM

Here's three Cracked articles that deal with this subject.

http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_612_38-real-size-comparisons-that-will-make-your-head-explode/

http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_507_20-mind-blowing-then-vs.-now-comparisons/

http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_636_23-insane-comparisons-that-will-change-how-you-think-time/

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/21/14 11:58 AM

If Venus Williams married Bruno Mars, her name would be Venus Mars.

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/21/14 11:59 AM

Camarel, Thanks for the links there great! smile
Posted By: olivant

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/21/14 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Like the Don used to say, "Out of the mouths of Throggs Neck residents..."
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/21/14 05:45 PM

Here is one of my favorite songs; it is performed spoken to a musical accompaniment:

ENGLISH IS CUH-RAY-ZEE

English is the most widely spoken language in the history of the planet.
One out of every seven human beings can speak or read it.
Half the world's books, 3/4 of the international mail are in English.
It has the largest vocabulary, perhaps two million words,
And a noble body of literature. But face it:
English is cuh-ray-zee!

Just a few examples: There's no egg in eggplant, no pine or apple in pineapple.
Quicksand works slowly; boxing rings are square.
A writer writes, but do fingers fing?
Hammers don't ham, grocers don't groce. Haberdashers don't haberdash.
English is cuh-ray-zee!

If the plural of tooth is teeth, shouldn't the plural of booth be beeth?
It's one goose, two geese. Why not one moose, two meese?
If it's one index, two indices; why not one Kleenex, two Kleenices?
English is cuh-ray-zee!

You can comb through the annals of history, but not just one annal.
You can make amends, but not just one amend.
If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one, is it an odd or an end?
If the teacher taught, why isn't it true that a preacher praught?
If you wrote a letter, did you also bote your tongue?
And if a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
English is cuh-ray-zee!

Why is it that night falls but never breaks and day breaks but never falls?
In what other language do people drive on the parkway and park on the driveway?
Ship by truck but send cargo by ship? Recite at a play but play at a recital?
Have noses that run and feet that smell?
English is cuh-ray-zee!

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same
When a wise man and a wise guy are very different?
To overlook something and to oversee something are very different,
But quite a lot and quite a few are the same.
How can the weather be hot as hell one day and cold as hell the next?
English is cuh-ray-zee!

You have to marvel at the lunacy of a language in which your house can burn down
While it is burning up.
You fill out a form by filling it in.
In which your alarm clock goes off by going on.
If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?

Well, English was invented by people, not computers
And reflects the creativity of the human race.
So that's why when the stars are out, they're visible,
But when the lights are out, they're invisible.
When I wind up my watch I start it, but when I wind up this rap,
I end it. English is cuh-ray-zee!

Words by Josh White, Jr. and Pete Seeger
(Based on Richard Lederer's "Crazy English")
Copyright (c) 1996

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/21/14 05:47 PM

If you scaled the sun to the size of a white blood cell, the milky way would be the size of the United States.

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/21/14 07:53 PM

Here's another one i read on Cracked, but i was unable to find the article.

From wiki - "Heather Blundell was born in Queanbeyan, New South Wales. As Heather McKay, she completely dominated the sport of women's squash in the 1960s and '70s. She lost only two matches in her entire career (in 1960 and 1962), and was unbeaten in competitive squash matches from 1962 through to 1981, when she retired from active open squash."

I have never watched or played a game of Squash in my life, but that must be one of if not the greatest ever sporting achievment imo. To only lose twice in a 22 year career (both coming in her first 3 years), as well as staying undefeated for 19 years is baffling. Not to mention she won every tournament she ever entered.

She was also apparently great at racquetball despite not knowing the rules lol

From another site - "After retiring from the sport in 1979, McKay turned her sights to racquetball and almost instantly became a sensation, reaching the semifinals of her first invitational tournament without even knowing how the game was played. "

http://mentalfloss.com/article/30648/11-amazing-under-radar-sports-dynasties

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heather_McKay

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/21/14 07:55 PM

That song fails in the first sentence, both Mandarin and Spanish are spoken by more than English lol

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/21/14 10:12 PM

If Oliver North is photographed sitting next to the baby of Kim Kardashian, the caption could be "North by North West."
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/21/14 10:20 PM

Guys from Butte, Montana and Boise, Idaho and other cow towns who develop an Internet fascination with Italian American criminals in the New York City metro area.

Oops grin.

Don't forget Lehi, Utah wink

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/21/14 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

Oops grin.

Or Glasgow, Scotland grin

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/21/14 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

Oops grin.

Not you. Your interest in the mob probably predates the Internet grin.

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/21/14 11:43 PM

If Oliver North is photographed sitting next to the baby of Kim Kardashian, the caption could be "North by North West."

Surprisingly clever ... for a lawyer!

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/26/14 04:45 PM

The man who sued the Guinness Book of Records over 'most lawsuits' claim.

A man who keeps suing people is suing the Guinness Book of World Records for saying that he's sued the most people ever. Jonathan Lee Riches is thought to have filed over 4,000 lawsuits around the world against various people, entities, objects and concepts.

In a boldly ironic move, he has now filed a lawsuit against the Guinness Book of World Records, hoping to get an injunction against them naming him as the world's most litigious man in their 2010 edition. 'The Guinness Book of World Records has no right to publish my work, my legal masterpieces,' he says in the legal filing. He is also unhappy about the nicknames they apparently plan to ascribe to him, including 'Sue-per-man', 'the duke of lawsuits' and 'Johnny Sue-nami'. Previous targets of his legal ire have included George W. Bush, Che Guevara, Perez Hilton, the Eiffel Tower, Britney Spears, Adolf Hitler's Nazi party, Google, the Roman Empire, The Queen, the Magna Carta, the Wu-Tang Clan, Plato, Emilio Estevez and Nordic
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/26/14 06:28 PM

Lice could make you scratch your head.

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 06/28/14 05:38 AM

This is a sad story, can't believe they have been unable to find the plane.

Missing jet passengers likely suffocated before plunge

By Reuters, June 28, 2014 | 4:10am

The passengers and crew of the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 most likely died from suffocation and coasted lifelessly into the ocean on autopilot, a new report released by Australian officials on Thursday said.

In a 55-page report, the Australian Transport Safety Board outlined how investigators had arrived at this conclusion after comparing the conditions on the flight with previous disasters, although it contained no new evidence from within the jetliner.

The report narrowed down the possible final resting place from thousands of possible routes, while noting the absence of communications and the steady flight path and a number of other key abnormalities in the course of the ill-fated flight.

“Given these observations, the final stages of the unresponsive crew/hypoxia event type appeared to best fit the available evidence for the final period of MH370′s flight when it was heading in a generally southerly direction,” the ATSB report said.

All of that suggested that the plane most likely crashed farther south into the Indian Ocean than previously thought, Australian officials also said, leading them to announce a shift farther south within the prior search area.

The new analysis comes more than 100 days after the Boeing 777, carrying 239 passengers and crew, disappeared on March 8 shortly after taking off from Kuala Lumpur bound for Beijing.

Investigators say what little evidence they have to work with suggests the plane was deliberately diverted thousands of kilometers from its scheduled route before eventually plunging into the Indian Ocean.

‘It is highly, highly likely that the aircraft was on autopilot otherwise it could not have followed the orderly path that has been identified through the satellite sightings.’

The search was narrowed in April after a series of acoustic pings thought to be from the plane’s black box recorders were heard along a final arc where analysis of satellite data put its last location.

But a month later, officials conceded the wreckage was not in that concentrated area, some 1,000 miles off the northwest coast of Australia, and the search area would have to be expanded.

“The new priority area is still focused on the seventh arc, where the aircraft last communicated with satellite. We are now shifting our attention to an area further south along the arc,” Australian Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss told reporters in Canberra.

Truss said the area was determined after a review of satellite data, early radar information and aircraft performance limits after the plane diverted across the Malaysian peninsula and headed south into one of the remotest areas of the planet.

“It is highly, highly likely that the aircraft was on autopilot otherwise it could not have followed the orderly path that has been identified through the satellite sightings,” Truss said.

The next phase of the search is expected to start in August and take a year, covering some 60,000 sq km at a cost of $56 million or more. The search is already the most expensive in aviation history.

The new priority search area is around 2,000 km west of Perth, a stretch of isolated ocean frequently lashed by storm force winds and massive swells.

Two vessels, one Chinese and one from Dutch engineering company Fugro, are currently mapping the sea floor along the arc, where depths exceed 5,000 meters in parts.

A tender to find a commercial operator to conduct the sea floor search closes on Monday.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/28/missing-jet-passengers-likely-suffocated-before-plunge/

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 07/01/14 02:06 PM

‘Cannibal Cop’ should be home for dinner after conviction tossed

By Rich Calder, Kevin Sheehan and Bruce Golding

July 1, 2014 | 12:00pm

A​ Manhattan federal judge granted his release on $100,000 bond Tuesday morning in the wake of a blockbuster ruling that tossed his conviction for plotting to kill, cook and eat women.

The former NYPD cop will live with his mom in Queens while prosecutors appeal his acquittal by Manhattan federal Judge Paul Gardephe, a defense lawyer said.

Valle​, who has been behind bars for 21 months including his trial,​ was being processed by federal authorities and still waiting to taste freedom shortly before 1pm.

​His lawyer Julia Gatto said Valle’s mom, who lives in Queens, “is very anxious to cook a meal for him, to sit at the table with him, to hug him.”​

Under terms of his release, the admittedly depraved ex-con will have to wear an electronic monitoring anklet and be barred from using the Internet — where he infamously hatched plans to feast on his wife, along with an array of female friends and acquaintances.

Valle had faced life in prison after a jury found him guilty of kidnapping conspiracy in the grisly schemes, but Gardephe reversed that conviction and conditionally granted him a retrial in a 118-page ruling handed down late Monday.

“The evidentiary record is such that it is more likely than not the case that all of Valle’s Internet communications about kidnapping are fantasy role-play,” Gardephe wrote.

However, the judge upheld Valle’s conviction on a second count of illegally using the NYPD’s federal database to compile a list of female targets and information on them.

Valle, who has been in jail since being arrested in late 2012, has already served the maximum one-year sentence for that crime.

Prosecutor Hadassa Waxman said in court that the feds remained convinced Valle posed a “danger to the community.”

“The government certainly respects the court’s decision, but believes the jury got it right, and it’s our intention to appeal,” she said.

Public defender Gatto said of Valle: “He has served his time and then some​. He is guilty of nothing more than very unprofessional thoughts.”

​Gatto said her client “is anxious to get home to his​ ​family who supported him through this whole ordeal. He’s very elated. ​ ​He’s very tired. Prison is very hard … He has to pick up the pieces ​ ​of his life.​”

“He lost a lot in his ​ ​life​ — his wife, his child​ — and he wants to get back to getting his life ​together.”

​She said his jail time was ​like ​being in his “own Twilight Zone.”

Meanwhile, Middle Village neighbors ​of Valle’s mom, Elizabeth had mixed reactions to the pending homecoming.

A next-door neighbor, who gave his name only as Lex, agreed with the judge’s ruling, saying: “It’s crazy to get convicted for your thoughts. He didn’t do anything.”

“I’m happy for him,” the 36-year-old said, adding,”but some of the people on the block are going to flip. The lady who runs the daycare across the street is going to be really pissed. You know she’s going to lose some of her business once word gets out.”

Lex, who’s separated and has custody of his kids for the summer, also said his estranged wife “keeps calling” and demanding they re-locate.

“She’s bugging out. She wants me to take the kids to a hotel,” he said.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/01/cannibal-cop-freed-on-100k-bond-after-judge-vacates-conviction/
Posted By: StLguy

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 07/01/14 08:14 PM

That would explain why she looks like a hermaphrodite...
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 07/02/14 05:30 AM

Head lice!!

They will make you scratch your head every time....

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 07/02/14 06:49 AM

Lice can be a good thing. It would have kept you from getting on the titanic.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 07/05/14 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Footreads
Lice can be a good thing. It would have kept you from getting on the titanic.

Silver linings and all that...

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 07/12/14 02:23 PM

This is very sad and disgusting.

Nurse exposes VA hospital: Stolen drugs, tortured veterans

By Valerie Riviello

July 12, 2014 | 10:17am

Registered nurse Valerie Riviello has worked 28 years at the Albany Stratton VA Medical Center, most recently in the psychiatric unit. She teaches at two local nursing schools, and has received many honors for patient care and safety, including the Florence Nightingale Award. Last fall, Riviello challenged the treatment of a female veteran strapped to her bed for hours on end, in violation of VA rules. As a result, she was stripped of her nursing duties. Now she’s one of 37 whistleblowers nationwide whose allegations of retaliation are under investigation by the US Office of Special Counsel. Riviello told her story to The Post’s Susan Edelman.

On November 5 of last year, I started my shift on the psychiatric ward at about 6:30 a.m.

A female Navy veteran, a victim of sexual assault in the military, was locked in a two-point restraint — her right arm and left leg were strapped to the bedposts. She also had a belt tied around her waist to restrict her movement.

She had been restrained that morning because she was “disruptive and agitated.”

By 9 a.m., the veteran pleaded to be freed from the shackles. The nursing team and I made an assessment. We felt that she was ready to come out. She was calm and cooperative and taking her medication.

We reported our assessment to the attending physician, who did not agree. The doctor felt the patient was “unpredictable.” But we concluded she had no intent to harm herself or anyone else. She was in pain and wanted to use the bathroom — to bathe, wash her hair, brush her teeth.

We kept advocating for her release, which was met with resistance from the physician. At 1 p.m., the patient had wet herself, was sweating and aching from being in the same position for so long.

I called my supervisor, saying we planned to remove the patient’s restraints to let her shower and use the bathroom. He said, “It sounds like a plan.”

So, after a total of seven hours, we took off the restraints. The patient was very appreciative. She was trying to hug us, she was so happy.

But 30 minutes later, the attending physician learned about the release and was furious, demanding that we tie the patient down again. We refused, because there was no justification.

She was not imminently a danger to herself or others. Under VA policy, we’re supposed to place patients in the “least restrictive environment” and use restraints only as a last resort. In a case like this, where a woman had a history of sexual trauma and multiple medical problems, restraints would not help — and could even be harmful. It could bring up memories of her trauma, which could range from rape to sexual assault and leave her very vulnerable.

I learned from my nursing staff that the same female veteran was readmitted in February and was kept in restraints for 49 consecutive hours over Presidents Day weekend. They said the doctors didn’t want to come in to evaluate the patient, as required, if she was released and had to be put back on restraints.

Can you imagine being tied down for that many hours? Every minute that someone is restrained seems like an eternity.

I started my nursing career at Albany Medical Center across the street from the VA as a candy striper at age 15. I looked up to the student nurses and dreamed of becoming one. I won the hospital auxiliary scholarship to attend nursing school with my essay “Why I want to become a nurse.” I wanted to take care of people and make a difference in their lives when they were feeling their worst.

Many of our veterans are returning from combat with lost limbs, shattered bones, brain injuries and sexual assaults. Others who served years ago are aging and face health complications. I have a passion for psychiatric nursing because I want to take care of “invisible wounds,” or psychological suffering.

In recent years, it’s been very discouraging to watch the level of care given to veterans deteriorate. Their ability to make choices and be involved in their treatment is disregarded. There’s no oversight of the local leadership and no accountability for how they treat employees and veterans. That has harmed patient care and staff morale.

The Albany VA hospital is now part of a national scandal involving veterans who have died while waiting for care, the falsification of appointment schedules, and retaliation against whistleblowers. My case is one of dozens under investigation.

Since my removal, other nurse managers have told me what is going on in the hospice and geriatric units.

Last month, they found that a nurse had been diverting morphine. He was withdrawing the drug from vials and replacing it with water or some other unknown substance.

Over the past year, this had occurred more than 5,000 times.

This means our hospice patients were not getting their pain medication. The veterans were dying in pain. That’s appalling.

The medicine comes out of a machine that records what is removed and put back. Someone should have spotted the pattern and asked, “What is this traffic going in and out, in and out?”

Finally, a new night nurse reported that her colleague seemed under the influence of something. The nurse taking the morphine admitted that he had an addiction problem and was fired. The VA’s inspector general is investigating.

Other co-workers throughout the hospital have asked me to spread the word about a variety of problems:

A kitchen employee complained the kitchen is skimping on patient meals. If a tray comes back with an unopened milk carton, the patient will no longer be served milk with his or her meal. Special diets are frequently not adhered to, and staff is instructed to give less food to patients.

The pharmacy often runs out of medications and gives patients an IOU note stapled to an empty bag. The pharmacy is falling behind and has many undelivered prescriptions.

Nurses have complained about brown tap water on the seventh floor. The bathrooms are filthy, and often have no toilet paper, particularly in the Veterans Service Center.

In March, my supervisor served me with a reprimand for the incident with the female veteran, citing a “failure to follow the patient’s plan of care.”

I turned to a private law firm that works with federal employees, Tully Rinckey, to fight the disciplinary action.

Two weeks later, I was served with a 30-day suspension without pay because I had given my lawyer patient information to defend my actions. But the hospital had already turned over 250 pages of this patient’s records. There was no breach of privacy.

They gave me a desk job to develop a nurse residency program all by myself. At other VA hospitals, it took a team of nurse-educators and leaders to create such a program.

When veterans I’ve known for years visited my office or stopped me in the lobby to chat, they were later questioned by my supervisors as to why they were talking to me. One veteran became irate at the grilling. It’s an example of the hostile environment and bullying I have endured.

I have been proud to serve the veterans and their families. I have also adopted and raised two boys who are now successful in the Marines and Army. I care for all of my veteran patients the exact way I would want my two sons cared for if needed some day.

I feel betrayed and humiliated the way the VA has tried to silence me, tarnish my career and hide what happened. Since I have come forward, data on the use of restraints, which we are required to keep, has gone missing from the electronic files. I’ve worked really hard for 28 years and don’t want to end my career this way.

I want to make sure veterans get the care they deserve with respect and dignity. I also want to leave a legacy for future nurses to feel free to speak out without retaliation.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/12/nurse-exposes-va-hospital-stolen-drugs-tortured-veterans/

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 07/12/14 02:43 PM

NNY78:

I request a favor. While your posts are appreciated, they are hugely long because you type out an entire (or nearly entire) article. Why do I cite that? Here's why. Those hugely long posts of yours take up the entire screen. Thus, a post that immediately precedes your post or comes immediately after tends to end up on the prior screen or on the next screen. Thus, those prior or following posts don't get the exposure that the posters probably desire.

Consider doing this: summarize the article and then post a link to the full article. That's what I do and what most Board members do.

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 07/12/14 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
NNY78:

I request a favor. While your posts are appreciated, they are hugely long because you type out an entire (or nearly entire) article. Why do I cite that? Here's why. Those hugely long posts of yours take up the entire screen. Thus, a post that immediately precedes your post or comes immediately after tends to end up on the prior screen or on the next screen. Thus, those prior or following posts don't get the exposure that the posters probably desire.

Consider doing this: summarize the article and then post a link to the full article. That's what I do and what most Board members do.

Olivant, My apologies to you and the other great folks on here. Will do and thanks for the tip. smile
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 07/13/14 09:31 PM

The article was excellent. How horrible that this is the way we are treating those that made such sacrifices so that we could go on living our comfortable lives. Thank you for sharing!

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 07/15/14 10:44 AM

Supermarket check outs that are called "Express" because they limit you to 10 or 15 items. They are usually anything but express. They should have "Efficient" check outs that require you to have your items organized, barcodes facing the front, money/check/or credit card ready to pay, NO COUPONS, no cellphones, no kids or babies, bag your own, no food stamps, no government checks, if there are two people, one must bag while the other one pays, no challenging the price. That's just for starters.

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 07/15/14 02:30 PM

Supermarket check outs that are called "Express" because they limit you to 10 or 15 items. They are usually anything but express. They should have "Efficient" check outs that require you to have your items organized, barcodes facing the front, money/check/or credit card ready to pay, NO COUPONS, no cellphones, no kids or babies, bag your own, no food stamps, no government checks, if there are two people, one must bag while the other one pays, no challenging the price. That's just for starters.

Marycas,

I Agree 100%, if I could add one, no digging for exact change in those weekend bags the ladies call purses nowadays either. smile

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 07/16/14 03:45 PM

Why would someone go on vacation on a beach when they already live on a beach? My daughter is planing one. I don't get it.

I have a big pool. I have gone in it maybe 4 times. I have it for the kids, and grand children to use.

Also for my kids to invite their friends over for BBQ's and parties.

I was a soccer coach spent a lot of time outside on the practice field.

I hardly ever go out side in the back yard. I rather be inside the house then outside.

Re: Things That Make You Scratch Your Head Thread - 07/18/14 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Footreads
Why would someone go on vacation on a beach when they already live on a beach? My daughter is planing one. I don't get it.

I have a big pool. I have gone in it maybe 4 times. I have it for the kids, and grand children to use.

Also for my kids to invite their friends over for BBQ's and parties.

I was a soccer coach spent a lot of time outside on the practice field.

I hardly ever go out side in the back yard. I rather be inside the house then outside.

So Foot, if your pool is lonely, I could work up to a cannonball....provided there is a cold drink as a reward.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET