Home

who all on here can play an instrument

Posted By: botz

who all on here can play an instrument - 06/13/14 08:29 PM

Is there anyone on here that can play a musical instrument?
Posted By: klydon1

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/13/14 08:32 PM

I can play a musical instrument though I haven't done so in several years. Can anybody guess what it is?
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/13/14 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
I can play a musical instrument though I haven't done so in several years. Can anybody guess what it is?

The skin flute? whistle
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/13/14 08:37 PM

What is that the flute with one hole? lol

Nah on a Serious note I can play the drums and a little bit of bass.

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/13/14 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: klydon1

The skin flute? whistle

lol

I thought someone was going to go in that direction, so I purposely inserted 'musical' in front of 'instrument.'

Anyway, it is the saxophone that I can play, preferably alto sax.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/13/14 09:18 PM

Used to play drums but haven't touched them for 20 years. Hands stiff with arthritis
Posted By: olivant

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/13/14 09:20 PM

One of my regrets is that I never learned to play a musical instrument. Had I done so, it probably would have been the piano. I really admire people who can play musical instruments.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/14/14 01:55 AM

Took organ (ahem! electric piano) lessons when I was a kid. Late high school, I picked up the guitar and learned from my friends and myself. Never got any good, but it was always fun. I always wanted to drum, and had a ball pretending on others' kits, but that wasn't any good, either. Played a bit of bass (one of my favorite instruments), and even tried the cello (my favorite instrument!) for a bit... still have it, just haven't touched it in years. ohwell

Love to sing, but, I'm not a great singer, either.

I guess my point is, I wish I was a good musician/singer, and I pretend now and then, but not so much lately. I'm a better judge. Those who can't do, teach/judge. grin

Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/17/14 09:11 AM

I am a dab hand on an air guitar.....
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/17/14 12:17 PM

Im an expert on the triangle..
Posted By: Italianheritage

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/17/14 12:45 PM

I've played guitar and took lessons for 2 years. I was very good at sight reading music, and improvisation.

I also have played some piano.

When I was younger one summer I took clarinet lessons but the instructor who taught band at the highschool I eventually went to, didn't even teach us how to read music. whistle
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/17/14 04:48 PM

I've played guitar for 48 years (Holy Cow, I'm old)! Music was in my soul since I was a kid. When the electric guitar became prominent in the 60's, a friend of mine got a red Hagstrom electric. It was so cool. I bugged my parents to get me a guitar for Christmas, so when I was 16 I got an electric guitar from E.J. Korvettes (department store). I don't think it even had a name but it was great. My dad "made" an amplifier for me and the rest is history lol. I taught myself to form chords from music books by the Beatles, The Beach Boys and The Lovin' Spoonful. As time went on I eventually upgraded to an acoustic, Martin D-35 (1973) which I still play today. I can also do a little harmonica ala Neil Young, Bob Dylan and knock out some basic blues harmonica. I sing OK too. I once posted a You Tube recording of a song I wrote, "Godfather Tragedy".
Posted By: olivant

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/17/14 10:21 PM

As a kid I sounded out several songs on the piano's white keys. Never learned the black keys. I remember sounding out Moon River and the theme from Exodus.

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/18/14 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Italianheritage

When I was younger one summer I took clarinet lessons but the instructor who taught band at the highschool I eventually went to, didn't even teach us how to read music. whistle

It's hard to master an instrument without being able to read music.

But what do the Beatles, the Who, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and Van Halen have in common? All are unable to read music. McCartney claimed that he was afraid that learning would adversely affect his ability to create melodies. He wrote a symphony some time ago, but he used a computer program that would translate his music to notes on a page, and he also had help from classical musicians.

Elton John, who was classically trained, learned to read music, but said that he has forgotten how to read music as it wasn't used in his process of song writing.

I also remember hearing that Irving Berlin couldn't read music, and could compose using only the black keys on the piano. He would have been a good piano partner for olivant.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/19/14 01:05 AM

I play a bit of guitar, very little piano and the recorder.

When I was in Fourth Grade, a million years ago, we were taught the basics of reading music and also learned the recorder - which I found I was better at if I played by ear.

What I really wanted to play when I was very young was the banjo. My father put his foot down with a resounding "NO!" I guess I should have bought myself one when I was older and taught myself the basics, but by then I was more interested in the guitar.

It has been said that the guitar is an easy instrument to play, but a very difficult instrument to play well.

How true!

Signor V.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/19/14 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

It has been said that the guitar is an easy instrument to play, but a very difficult instrument to play well.

How true!

Signor V.

I'm amazed at the speed and dexterity that some players exhibit. It has to be from a section of the brain....a section that in me functions at a lower level. lol

Re: who all on here can play an instrument - 06/19/14 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

What I really wanted to play when I was very young was the banjo.

Charlie Brown said, "Every baby born into this world should be immediately issued a puppy and a banjo."

The truest thought ever published in the funny pages.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET