Home

Nigerian Girls Abducted

Posted By: MaryCas

Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/07/14 08:43 PM

If you haven't seen this atrocity occurring than I guess you're too busy texting your friends. An Islamist militant group Boko Haram is responsible for abducting hundreds of girls and selling them as slaves.

What appalls me most is that no Islamic leaders have come forth denouncing this crime or offering help. If Islam is suppose to be a religion that preaches peace, where are their peacemakers?

I admit that I don't know much about the Islam/Muslim religion, but one has to wonder why this religion breeds violence and terrorism. Some one in the know, please enlighten us.
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/07/14 09:34 PM

Unfortunately certain parts of that country are VERY unstable and not safe. I have friends from that country and that region and sadly this is not altogether a rare occurrence.

American news media will never cover any of the other instances but this situation involves "radical Islamic" culprits so it gets coverage. Story will be used as pretext for int. forces to come in...and (insert phony rationale)

Super corrupt govt. over there that doesn't do a good job of protecting its people under normal circumstances, so I don't have any hopes that the women will be recovered.

Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/07/14 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Unfortunately certain parts of that country are VERY unstable and insecure. I have friends from that country and that region and sadly this is not altogether a rare occurrence.

American news media will never cover any of the other instances but this situation involves "radical Islamic" culprits so it gets coverage. Story will be used as pretext for int. forces to come in...and (insert phony rationale)

Super corrupt govt. over there that doesn't do a good job of protecting its people under normal circumstances, so I don't have any hopes that the women will be recovered.

Excellent post, Gets.

The selective moral outrage in the media makes me sick to my stomach. This stuff happens ALL THE TIME over there, and they don't have the guts to report it.
Posted By: cheech

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/08/14 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Unfortunately certain parts of that country are VERY unstable and not safe. I have friends from that country and that region and sadly this is not altogether a rare occurrence.

like PB said, really good post and I agree wholeheartedly...look for un forces to come in soon under the guise of protecting people...a lot of commodities there that imperial nations want.
Posted By: LittleNicky

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/08/14 01:01 PM

1. Its sad, but its none of our business

2. Radical Islam is involved in the vast majority of religious conflict and violence that happens in the modern world. It's not the jains, buddhists or Sikhs. Stop equating religions, some are vastly more harmful than others. Go talk to Ayaan Ali Hirsi about being mutilated and treated like a farm animal. It deserves the coverage it gets, especially in relation to the treatment of women.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/08/14 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: LittleNicky

What else is new?

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/08/14 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

What else is new?

Dont worry pizza. We got our best people on this crisis

https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/464148654354628608/photo/1
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/08/14 03:06 PM

Sorry, if this crisis was happening in Belgium, the entire world would be up in arms. Because it's 200 Nigerians, nobody seems to be outraged. It's "the way it is in that part of the world".

God help those poor girls and their families.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/08/14 03:33 PM

[quote=Sicilian Babe]Sorry, if this crisis was happening in Belgium, the entire world would be up in arms. Because it's 200 Nigerians, nobody seems to be outraged. It's "the way it is in that part of the world".

God help those poor girls and their families. [/quote

I agree SB. I feel so badly for all those young girls and can only imagine what their families are going through. What a nightmare. frown

TIS

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/08/14 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

What else is new?

Dont worry pizza. We got our best people on this crisis

https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/464148654354628608/photo/1

Christ. I voted for him too. Lesser of two evils I thought. To be honest I haven't been happy with any president in my small life span.
It's funny we call it a democracy when I have more options to put on a pizza than the person that will run my country.

On another note these guys and soon a woman are all figure heads. Don't have as much power as people assume. A wise man once told me "if he's on tv reading a prompter he's not the one who makes the decisions"
It's all a charade. Reminds me of wizard of oz. pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Most of things on TV are a diversion from what's really going on.

Just my opinion

PS. Is to late to vote for Ross Perot?

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/08/14 07:49 PM

My wife and I used to watch msnbc and foxnews every night for years. Finally we just got disgusted and haven't paid too much attention to politics the last few years. Depressing and makes me angry.

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/08/14 08:30 PM

Sadly I believe that if Nigeria was an oil rich country there would be a lot more involvement from the major powers.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/08/14 08:55 PM

This atrocity underscores another under-reported fact: the largest number of victims of Islamic terrorism are Christians, especially in Africa and Asia.

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/08/14 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
This atrocity underscores another under-reported fact: the largest number of victims of Islamic terrorism are Christians, especially in Africa and Asia.

As Adam Carolla always says: It’s impossible to judge. You can’t judge. All religions are the same man. They are all equal.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/09/14 08:53 AM

Actually Nigeria is one of the world's top oil exporting countries. Oil experts account for the majority of Nigeria's export earnings.

There have been mainstream/orthodox Muslim scholars within and without Nigeria who have consistently criticized Boko Haram, both before and after this latest crime.

http://news.yahoo.com/muslim-world-scholars-condemn-nigeria-kidnapping-103421409.html

www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/08/muslim-leaders-slam-boko-haram-islam_n_5287930.html

http://www.theheraldng.com/boko-haram-haram-sheikh-bilal-philips/

Even other terrorist groups say that Boko Haram is nuts.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/world/...ndone.html?_r=0

Considering the area in which it operates Boko Haram is likely killing as many Muslims as it is other people. It's based in the north of Nigeria, which is disproportionately Hausa and Muslim.

I don't think it's accurate to suggest that the evil that some Muslims do must say something about Islam in general unless we are also willing to say the same thing about other religions.

The likely next PM of India, Modi is a Hindu fundamentalist who is widely accepted to have stirred up/turned a blind eye to the massacre of as many as 2000 Muslims in Guajarat while in Burma, the Buddhist majority routinely harasses and occasionally kills the Muslim minority in scheduled pogroms. And from a pure body count perspective, none of those people could match the numbers of people killed by Christians over the years.

I think people are generally the same. We all have the capacity for good and for evil. The only difference is the tech available. Boko Haram has been murdering boys for years.

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/09/14 09:10 AM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Sadly I believe that if Nigeria was an oil rich country there would be a lot more involvement from the major powers.

tons of oil mary...a lot of minerals as well

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/09/14 09:10 AM

good post Lilo, agreed
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/09/14 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: cheech

It's funny we call it a democracy when I have more options to put on a pizza than the person that will run my country.

On another note these guys and soon a woman are all figure heads. Don't have as much power as people assume. A wise man once told me "if he's on tv reading a prompter he's not the one who makes the decisions"
It's all a charade. Reminds me of wizard of oz. pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Most of things on TV are a diversion from what's really going on.

meet the new boss/
same as the old boss/
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/10/14 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull

Very true.

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/10/14 05:29 AM

Originally Posted By: cheech
Originally Posted By: MaryCas

tons of oil mary...a lot of minerals as well

Thanks, to you and Lilo. I guess I better brush up on my world economics.
Posted By: BlackFamily

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/11/14 02:01 AM

Exactly. That's why i posted about Oil Thefts that costing the country serious revenues. Hundreds of thousands of barrels stolen daily.
And of course CNN falsely stated the meaning of their name. SMH.

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/11/14 12:33 PM

I recently read two books by Teju Cole, a Nigerian who spent many years in America, and who now lives in NY. In one, he says that Nigerians are considered the happiest people in the world, the most religious people in the world--and that the nation is the third-most corrupt in the world. Corruption is now being cited as a major factor in the police/military failure to act quickly on the kidnappings. Nigeria's president is quoted today as saying the reason he didn't act sooner is that he fears that his administration, military and police are infiltrated by Boko Haram.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/11/14 06:50 PM

We do have the resources to locate and recover these girls but I fear there will be a lot of interference that could prevent it from happening. I wonder if the Brits and French will help out. Also, where are the "Good" American muslims ?? Why so silent??
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/12/14 08:43 AM

Originally Posted By: bigboy
We do have the resources to locate and recover these girls but I fear there will be a lot of interference that could prevent it from happening. I wonder if the Brits and French will help out. Also, where are the "Good" American muslims ?? Why so silent??

Apparently you didn't read this.
http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/472177-us-muslims-slam-un-islamic-boko-haram.html

or this
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/05/cou...sts-boko-h.html

or this
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/azeem-ibrahim/boko-haram-are-not-muslim_b_5293479.html

or this
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/05/08/chicago-muslims-nigerian-kidnappers-not-real-islamists/

American Muslims are hardly silent on the issue. But to paraphrase Secretary Clinton, at this point what difference does it make? Your mind is made up.

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/12/14 12:07 PM

wouldnt be surprised if this Boko is a CIA operative

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/12/14 12:07 PM

problem - reaction - solution
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/12/14 06:51 PM

Did that terrorist take his name fomr a 60's band?
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/12/14 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Ha ha ha!! I know. When I first heard this story I thought they were saying "Procol Harum" and thought of the pop group. LOL

TIS

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/12/14 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Lilo
Originally Posted By: bigboy

Apparently you didn't read this.
http://www.onislam.net/english/news/americas/472177-us-muslims-slam-un-islamic-boko-haram.html

or this

LILO- you are right I didn't read any of that as those are sites I don't go on. I didn't hear any of this on the mainstream media. I get all my news from this site
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/05/cou...sts-boko-h.html

or this
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/azeem-ibrahim/boko-haram-are-not-muslim_b_5293479.html

or this
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/05/08/chicago-muslims-nigerian-kidnappers-not-real-islamists/

American Muslims are hardly silent on the issue. But to paraphrase Secretary Clinton, at this point what difference does it make? Your mind is made up.

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/13/14 07:28 AM

As per the LA Times, Proko Harem or whatever the F their name is announced that all of the girls have converted to Islam. Funny that could take place so fast
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/13/14 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Ha ha ha!! I know. When I first heard this story I thought they were saying "Procol Harum" and thought of the pop group. LOL

TIS

I too was reminded of the band.

"She said, 'There is no reason,
And the truth is plain to see.'
But I wandered through my playing cards
And they would not let her be
One of sixteen vestal virgins
Who were leaving for the coast,
And although my eyes were opened wide,
They might just as well've been closed."

Re: Nigerian Girls Abducted - 05/13/14 12:34 PM