Home

NBA Owner's Racist Rant

Posted By: pizzaboy

NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/26/14 10:56 AM

I was going to post this in sports, but thought it more of a social issue, so I'm posting it here.

Here's the deal: The owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, Donald Sterling, went on a racist rant to his girlfriend because she Instagrammed a picture of herself with Magic Johnson. He then told her not to bring Black people to Clippers' games, and the whole mess was caught on tape. Oh, did I mention that his girlfriend, half his age, is half-Black, half-Mexican? rolleyes

Disgusting racism aside, how does this moron expect to operate in a league that's 90 percent Black? Jerkoff.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/4/26/5655476/donald-sterling-scumbag-racist-clippers-tmz
Posted By: Scorsese

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/26/14 12:01 PM

lol i just heard that. The whole logic behind what he's saying is insane, at one point he's basically asking her to be a gentle latina or a gentle white, its nuts.
Even though she's with him for the money even that was probably a little too much for her.
Posted By: Snakes

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/26/14 12:07 PM

This isn't the first time he's been accused of being a racist moron. He's been sued and taken to federal court in the past for refusing to rent apartments to blacks or Latinos.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/26/14 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Snakes
This isn't the first time he's been accused of being a racist moron. He's been sued and taken to federal court in the past for refusing to rent apartments to blacks or Latinos.

The guy's a creep. Even the Stormfront crowd would have a hard time defending him here.

You know, when White liberals start using the word plantation they're usually delusional. But in this case I think it applies. This guy has a sick plantation owner's mentality, in that Blacks are good enough to have sex with, but not good enough to be seen with.

I hope there are repercussions from the NBA. David Stern was obviously an enabler. Let's hope his successor isn't.
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/27/14 09:51 AM

The leaked comments are consistent with some of the comments/actions he's been linked to in the past.

I don't have a problem with anybody having certain views that I disagree with...just be open about it. I've worked with, gone to school with and even shared dorm room with people who held prejudiced views towards Blacks.

I have my circle of friends, family and loved ones..person who doesn't like Blacks isn't going to keep the sun from coming up tomorrow.
When your views prevent you from doing your job or treating others with common decency..THAT'S when it's a problem

The thing is that, regardless of the rhetoric that comes out of people's mouths about typical racist commentary...their real ire isn't focused on criminal/public assistance "minorities"....those people actually make them feel good/better about themselves.

Real hatred is focused on regular "minorities" who are doing what every other regular American is doing...working, getting educated, following rules and succeeding.

Election of Obama has brought a lot of these feelings to the surface.

In Sterling's case...though he's always been who he is....don't disregard the fact that Magic Johnson is a successful businessman and has partial stake in the L.A. Dodgers.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/27/14 10:13 AM

Originally Posted By: getthesenets
don't disregard the fact that Magic Johnson is a successful businessman and has partial stake in the L.A. Dodgers.

Of course that's it, Gets. He obviously doesn't have a problem with Blacks who work for HIM.

Like I said earlier, plantation owner's mentality. As long as he's the one in control (like with HIS players, unlike with Magic), he can quietly go on with his hate filled life. But when a guy like Magic, who doesn't NEED him, comes along, he can't handle it.

In short, fuck Donald Sterling.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/27/14 10:45 AM

pizza,

remember..the kkk was started when the plantation system was dismantled...during reconstruction when southern Blacks were advancing...obtaining education & property,voting ....and otherwise challenging what had been societal norms.

and like I said......lot of racial tension has been brought back to the surface during Obama's presidency.

NOT a coincidence.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/27/14 10:54 AM

^^^^
No argument there, Gets smile.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/27/14 11:55 AM

He ought to go into cattle ranching with that other asshole in Nevada.
Posted By: MikeyO

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/27/14 01:00 PM

pizza,

remember..the kkk was started when the plantation system was dismantled...during reconstruction when southern Blacks were advancing...obtaining education & property,voting ....and otherwise challenging what had been societal norms.

and like I said......lot of racial tension has been brought back to the surface during Obama's presidency.

NOT a coincidence.

What about the Indians that lost their LIVES,LAND,SWEAT,BLOOD,TEARS...The CHINESE..digging ditches in Cali ....we ain't the only ones ma brother..Amen!

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/27/14 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Apologize he's old man! Don't make me get Carmela over here to spank your big ass!
Posted By: SC

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/27/14 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeyO

Apologize he's old man! Don't make me get Carmela over here to spank your big ass!

Mikey, I realize you have a crush on pizzaboy, but take it off the boards.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/27/14 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

Mikey, I realize you have a crush on pizzaboy, but take it off the boards.

I will the feeling is mutual though blush
Posted By: klydon1

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/28/14 11:29 AM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
He ought to go into cattle ranching with that other asshole in Nevada.

FOX News is prepoared to offer Donald Sterling and Cliven Bundy a one-hour nightly talk show.

Racism is nothing new to Sterling, who was sued by the Justice Dept. for illegaly discriminatory housing practices against minorities, and ended up settling by paying a record breaking figure. Elgin Baylor, a Clipper GM and official for more than a decade, sued him for discriminatory practices, and although Baylor lost his claim (these are difficult cases to meet your burden), he must feel some vindication at the recent exposure of Sterling's racism.

The NBA owners should have acted much sooner against this guy. I can not see Sterling being allowed to remain an owner in this league, which has developed a powerful and respected brand, largely because of African Americans.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/28/14 03:54 PM

The players made a silent and classy protest. They wore their jerseys inside out so that the logo was not visible, and during the game, they wore black armbands and/or wristbands. They won't comment, but they did make that united front.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/28/14 05:39 PM

You know, not to get off the point that this guy is a racist jerk (and keep in mind that I started this thread). But this woman shouldn't be excused for her hypocrisy, either.

I mean, she had to know this guy's position on race throughout their relationship. Yet it didn't bother her until she found out that she was getting dumped. She's an opportunistic tramp if you ask me.

When you sell yourself to someone twice your age, you should expect to be treated like a commodity. And before the feminists jump on me, had this been a Marge Schott (more about her in a minute), or a Leona Helmsley, getting down with a thirty year old surfer dude, I'd be saying the exact same thing.

Re Marge Schott: When she made similar comments as owner of the Reds, MLB was only able to suspend her, not make her sell. I wonder if times have changed that much that the NBA will have better luck with this jerk. Because something tells me that he's going to dig in his heels and not go gently into that good night. The Super Rich rarely do.
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/28/14 06:02 PM

@pizzaboy

the only hypocrit in this scenario is the owner

his mistress looks kinda rough around the edges aka "hood/street"

she probably got tired of dude acting like he "owned" her

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/28/14 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: cookcounty
his mistress looks kinda rough around the edges aka "hood/street"

She looks like she's had some bad plastic surgery. Her face has that shiny, pulled-too-tight look.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/28/14 09:23 PM

^^^^^^

i don't know why women thinks that shit makes them look better (plastic surgery)

9 times outta 10 they just fuck their faces up

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/28/14 10:04 PM

^^^^^^

i don't know why women thinks that shit makes them look better (plastic surgery)

9 times outta 10 they just fuck their faces up

For once I agree with you completely, Cook lol.
Posted By: cheech

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/29/14 12:57 PM

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/29/14 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: cheech

Respect
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/29/14 02:59 PM

One thing that struck me almost immediately when I heard about Sterling's comments was the hypocrisy on the Left.

You'll recall back during the Clinton fiasco with Monica Lewinsky, many lefties defended Clinton by saying that his personal flings didn't affect his ability to be U.S. president.

Now, one could make the same argument here - that Sterling's bonehead (and rather bizarre) racial beliefs don't really affect his ability to be the owner of an NBA team, little of which goes beyond writing checks.

While not defending Sterling's comments, it just goes to show the selective moral outrage in our society today, particularly by politically-correct driven liberals. They don't much value on fidelity in marriage so Clinton being an adulterer was no big deal to them. Being a racist, however, is almost worse than being child-molester in their book so they were out for a pound of flesh in this case.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/29/14 03:18 PM

The NBA just banned Sterling for life.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/29/14 05:47 PM

@ivyleague

so u thought about a political party while listening to donald sterling rant?

did u mistake the obvious disgust in the gold diggers voice for happiness?

buddy is just as sick as his ancestors back in the 1800s (im sure its learned behavior)
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/29/14 09:06 PM

To hate or fear others because of their race, religion, skin color, age, gender or sexual orientation is ipso facto irrational. Sterling is a prime example: a public racist who owns a NBA basketball team whose players, like those on the other teams, are overwhelmingly black.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 09:31 AM

Had not heard about this over here, but this fella sounds like a top class shit bag!!!

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Now, one could make the same argument here - that Sterling's bonehead (and rather bizarre) racial beliefs don't really affect his ability to be the owner of an NBA team, little of which goes beyond writing checks.

You miss the point entirely. The damage that Sterling's exposed racism brings adversely affects the entire league and pollutes the brand, and his continued association with the NBA in any visible capacity, let aloneas an owner, would harm the economic and social integrity of the league.

The league has been built by minorities and has acquired an inclusive and ever-expanding global following. There's no room for mindset from an owner that is disgusted by having Blacks attend games.

By the way, if you think an owner's role is only about writing checks, you're misinformed. The owners are the driving force of league decisions on many aspects, including marketing and employment. A racist owner has no place in professional sports.

You're overreaching by comparing this with Clinton's affair with Lewinski, but I'm not surprised by the direction you would want to take this issue.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Had not heard about this over here, but this fella sounds like a top class shit bag!!!

clap

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: klydon1

By the way, if you think an owner's role is only about writing checks, you're misinformed. The owners are the driving force of league decisions on many aspects, including marketing and employment. A racist owner has no place in professional sports.

I'd like your legal take on a point here, klyd. Can the league FORCE him to sell the team? I think that the league would be overstepping their authority if they tried that. However, I think the league would be right if they kicked the team out of the league. (Let him try to sell the team after that happened).

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 12:17 PM

Under the NBA constitution and by-laws the league can suspend or expel an owner (or anybody) for conduct prejudicial or detrimental to the league. Removing ownership rights is harder, and would be a drawn out affair. There are several bases stated in the by-laws that would justify removal of ownership (or a forced sale). This is where litigation would ensue. While all thirty NBA teams, including the Clippers, embraced Silver's findings, any basis to force the sale would be subject to litigation.

Sterling cares little for the by-laws as evidenced when he moved his team to LA without owner consent and was fined. He responded by suing the NBA.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 12:23 PM

Under the NBA constitution and by-laws the league can suspend or expel an owner (or anybody) for conduct prejudicial or detrimental to the league. Removing ownership rights is harder, and would be a drawn out affair. There are several bases stated in the by-laws that would justify removal of ownership (or a forced sale). This is where litigation would ensue. While all thirty NBA teams, including the Clippers, embraced Silver's findings, any basis to force the sale would be subject to litigation.

Sterling cares little for the by-laws as evidenced when he moved his team to LA without owner consent and was fined. He responded by suing the NBA.

Is it true that Sterling is an accomplished lawyer himself, Klyd?

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
To hate or fear others because of their race, religion, skin color, age, gender or sexual orientation is ipso facto irrational. Sterling is a prime example: a public racist who owns a NBA basketball team whose players, like those on the other teams, are overwhelmingly black.

What do you mean by that? Are some players blacker than others?

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 02:41 PM

This is a serious discussion. Don't pollute it with nonsense like this.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 03:00 PM

This is a serious discussion. Don't pollute it with nonsense like this.

Me so Sor-wee

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 05:20 PM

One thing that struck me almost immediately when I heard about Sterling's comments was the hypocrisy on the Left.

You'll recall back during the Clinton fiasco with Monica Lewinsky, many lefties defended Clinton by saying that his personal flings didn't affect his ability to be U.S. president.

While not defending Sterling's comments, it just goes to show the selective moral outrage in our society today, particularly by politically-correct driven liberals. They don't much value on fidelity in marriage so Clinton being an adulterer was no big deal to them. Being a racist, however, is almost worse than being child-molester in their book so they were out for a pound of flesh in this case.

This off base overgeneralization makes no sense, and stop saying you are not defending Sterling's comments. You are defending them and in the process condemning what you pereive to be "selective" outrage. As a left-leaning democrat, neither I nor anyone I know ever said they approved of Clinton's misconduct and his lying about it. The distinction about drawing a line between his personal life and his public life came when the idiots in the House impeached him. At that point, the question became whether or not clinton had committed a "high crime or misdomeanor" as is written in the Constitution. I and the United States Senate thought it did not.

The NBA is not part of the federal government. There is no right to free speech or opinion within the NBA because ownership of an NBA team is not something the Constitution grants. One of Sterling's statements was that he wrote the checks for the players, and thus paid for their houses, cars, etc. He omits that the players earn their living by playing the game and that he profits from it. Are they supposed to play for free? Does he think people come to see the owners and not the players? It is a plantation mentality pure and simple.

Your pitiful analysis is as bad as Rush Limbaugh's false claim that Sterling was a democrat who was being punished for not giving Obama enough money.
Posted By: F_white

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 05:57 PM

This off base overgeneralization makes no sense, and stop saying you are not defending Sterling's comments. You are defending them and in the process condemning what you pereive to be "selective" outrage. As a left-leaning democrat, neither I nor anyone I know ever said they approved of Clinton's misconduct and his lying about it. The distinction about drawing a line between his personal life and his public life came when the idiots in the House impeached him. At that point, the question became whether or not clinton had committed a "high crime or misdomeanor" as is written in the Constitution. I and the United States Senate thought it did not.

The NBA is not part of the federal government. There is no right to free speech or opinion within the NBA because ownership of an NBA team is not something the Constitution grants. One of Sterling's statements was that he wrote the checks for the players, and thus paid for their houses, cars, etc. He omits that the players earn their living by playing the game and that he profits from it. Are they supposed to play for free? Does he think people come to see the owners and not the players? It is a plantation mentality pure and simple.

Your pitiful analysis is as bad as Rush Limbaugh's false claim that Sterling was a democrat who was being punished for not giving Obama enough money.
clap clap clap
Posted By: Lilo

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 08:26 PM

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's take

Interesting analysis but then again Mr. Skyhook is an interesting guy (but he STILL wasn't fouled by Laimbeer in that finals game) tongue

Quote:
...Yes, I’m angry, too, but not just about the sins of Donald Sterling. I’ve got a list. But let’s start with Sterling. I used to work for him, back in 2000 when I coached for the Clippers for three months. He was congenial, even inviting me to his daughter’s wedding. Nothing happened or was said to indicate he suffered from IPMS (Irritable Plantation Master Syndrome). Since then, a lot has been revealed about Sterling’s business practices...

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Lilo
but he STILL wasn't fouled by Laimbeer in that finals game

Laimbeer's STILL a neanderthal grin.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 08:41 PM

but he STILL wasn't fouled by Laimbeer in that finals game

Laimbeer's STILL a neanderthal grin.

How come we used a guy like Laimbeer? An animal like that?

There are men in this world who go about demanding to be killed. You must have noticed them. I have seen a man, a fool, deliberately infuriate a group of dangerous men and he himself without any resources.. Most of these people are of no concern to ourselves but a Laimbeer is a powerful weapon to be used.. lol

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 08:46 PM

lol lol

All kidding aside, though. It's funny that you don't hear much from Laimbeer. You still see plenty of Salley and Dumars and, of course, Isiah. But not Laimbeer. Or is that my imagination?

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 08:51 PM

I think he's still coaching in WNBA. Some local people constantly say he should be coaching in NBA. I think he alienated so many people that him head coaching in the NBA would be virtually impossible.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 04/30/14 08:59 PM

I think he's still coaching in WNBA. Some local people constantly say he should be coaching in NBA. I think he alienated so many people that him head coaching in the NBA would be virtually impossible.

Yeah, but Isiah loved him. Vinnie Johnson, too, if I remember correctly. And Laimbeer came from a VERY well-to-do family, while those two came up poor. Detroit makes strange bedfellows lol.

Whatever happened to Vinnie Johnson? I always liked him smile.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/01/14 08:34 AM

The Microwave! ESPN did a great 30-30 on the bad boys. Brought me back to my childhood. Was a great documentary

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/01/14 08:45 AM

The Microwave! ESPN did a great 30-30 on the bad boys. Brought me back to my childhood. Was a great documentary

I turned thirty in 1989. I hate you lol

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/01/14 11:21 AM

I turned thirty in 1989. I hate you lol

That must of been great to live in that era could make a killing of drugs and other illegal shit

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/01/14 11:22 AM

Nothing like heating up some meatballs and gravy w a Pepsi

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/01/14 12:07 PM

MikeyO - Whatever issues you have with pizzaboy and cheech better remain off these boards. You have to stop hounding them like a lost little puppy following his beloved master. Just stop it! You won't be told again.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/01/14 12:09 PM

MikeyO - Whatever issues you have with pizzaboy and cheech better remain off these boards. You have to stop hounding them like a lost little puppy following his beloved master. Just stop it! You won't be told again.

I don't have issues with them were all friends who joke around I'll keep it off the board sorry SC

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/01/14 10:55 PM

interesting article from before the ban
title is "Clippers owner Donald Sterling Besmirches Jewish Basketball History""

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/11757...ketball-history
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/02/14 06:44 AM

Racism is still rife in soccer in mainland Europe, an awful thing in this day and age. Eastern Europe especially, but in Spain at the weekend, Dani Alves, a black Brazilian who plays for the mighty Barcelona was pelted with bananas whilst taking a corner!!!! Absolutely shocking. What is the matter with these people???
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/02/14 10:39 AM

I think it's hilarious that the Bunny Ranch also banned him for life, what a joke.
Posted By: padrone

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/02/14 10:54 AM

What I find funny is that under CA law, if a conversation is to be recorded you must have the consent of all parties involved. When asked if the recording was legal his girlfriends attorney said he consented to the recording. This guy did not make his billion being that fing stupid. He is going to sue TMZ and the gf. But that brings up an important point. Should we be judged by our private conversations or by our public speech and how we treat others? That's one of the reasons some states have the consent laws I am no racist like this loon but we all say things to wives, pals and others that taken out of context or by someone who does not know us would make us unemployable.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/02/14 12:26 PM

@padrone

what the fuck did donald sterling say that was taken outta context?

he fucked up, and is going to lose his team to magic johnson......LOL
Posted By: cornuto_e_contento

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/02/14 02:00 PM

I'm glad he is getting fired. Even if his girlfriend/mistress had not recorded their conversation someone else would have.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/02/14 02:22 PM

You miss the point entirely. The damage that Sterling's exposed racism brings adversely affects the entire league and pollutes the brand, and his continued association with the NBA in any visible capacity, let aloneas an owner, would harm the economic and social integrity of the league.

The league has been built by minorities and has acquired an inclusive and ever-expanding global following. There's no room for mindset from an owner that is disgusted by having Blacks attend games.

You're overreaching by comparing this with Clinton's affair with Lewinski, but I'm not surprised by the direction you would want to take this issue.

How am I overreaching? The same argument you make here about Sterling's comments "adversely affects the entire league and pollutes the brand" could be made about Clinton's behavior (and lying about it afterward) adversely affecting and polluting the office of the President of the United States. The difference is, you start spinning the defense for one but not the other solely based on your politically liberal and secularist leanings.

You say I'm generalizing and yet my comment obviously applies to you who, by the way, aren't just a "left leaning Democrat" but the single biggest liberal hack on this forum (which is filled with them). Even other libs here have admitted you have no objectivity.

In typical partisan fashion, you defend Clinton because his behavior was part of his personal life and not his public life. Yet, the same argument could be made about Sterling's private comments. But like Kyldon above, you chose to split hairs because you favor one guy but not the other. If anything, Clinton is more to blame simply because he was a public figure in the highest office in the land and Sterling just a private citizen voicing his own (admittedly absurd) opinions.

Nobody is defending Sterling. Nail him to the wall if you want but you you libs can't be selective in your moral outrage and then pretend to be consistent.
Posted By: padrone

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/02/14 03:34 PM

I did not say that it was taken out of context. I stated that we all say things that could be taken out of context or there are things that we say in private that we would NEVER say in public. That includes us all. I am not defending this dipsh*& but what I am saying is that we should be judged by out public speech and actions. This guy was going to get an award from the NAACP for crying out loud. It was also said if that his racism was a known fact and was never made public like this. If that is true all of the feigned outrage is bs. Apparently everyone knew this man to be a closet klansman and were glad to work for or with him or take his money.

That being said, the release of these tapes may be against California law and the NBA is going to have a fight when it comes to forcing a sale. I hope he burns but it aint gonna be easy.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/02/14 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: padrone
I did not say that it was taken out of context. I stated that we all say things that could be taken out of context or there are things that we say in private that we would NEVER say in public. That includes us all. I am not defending this dipsh*& but what I am saying is that we should be judged by out public speech and actions. This guy was going to get an award from the NAACP for crying out loud. It was also said if that his racism was a known fact and was never made public like this. If that is true all of the feigned outrage is bs. Apparently everyone knew this man to be a closet klansman and were glad to work for or with him or take his money.

That being said, the release of these tapes may be against California law and the NBA is going to have a fight when it comes to forcing a sale. I hope he burns but it aint gonna be easy.

A lot of the outrage is, indeed, feigned. The fact that the new NBA commissioner actually went as far as to ban the guy for life shows the decision was largely driven by political correctness and pressure to appease the mostly black players. You'd have to have a cookcounty-like IQ to believe the punishment fits the crime here. Look at all the convicted athlete felons who are allowed to return to sports. Like I said, liberal-driven political correctness is quick to forgive all sorts of crimes and indiscretions but not racism.

Again, this is not to excuse Sterling's comments but to show the selective moral outrage and inconsistent punishments involved.
Posted By: Camarel

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/02/14 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: padrone

A lot of the outrage is, indeed, feigned. The fact that the new NBA commissioner actually went as far as to ban the guy for life shows the decision was largely driven by political correctness and pressure to appease the mostly black players. You'd have to have a cookcounty-like IQ to believe the punishment fits the crime here. Look at all the convicted athlete felons who are allowed to return to sports. Like I said, liberal-driven political correctness is quick to forgive all sorts of crimes and indiscretions but not racism.

Again, this is not to excuse Sterling's comments but to show the selective moral outrage and inconsistent punishments involved.

That's actually a very good point, i hadn't thought of that. Why is Michael Vick alowed back into sport after running an illegal dog fighting ring or Mike Tyson allowed back after a rape conviction? While how stupid and disgusting Sterlings comments were he wasn't actually breaking any laws, he was exorcising free speech no matter how shameful. Forced or not i believe he'll sell anyway because there's a good chance of a player boycott, and with the Clippers history of being the worst in the NBA no chance any fans black,white or yellow will stick behind him, jeopardizing the best side they've ever had of Chris Paul,Blake Griffin,etc.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/02/14 07:51 PM

@Ivy

The owner of the Colts was recently caught with FELONY amounts of illegal drugs a few weeks after the Superbowl.

I'll update this thread when the case is decided but would you go on record and guess what kind of legal ramifications will result?
What penalties do you think the NFL will impose on Irsay?

here' a article that came out shortly after the arrest

http://deadspin.com/police-jim-irsay-was-arrested-with-a-briefcase-full-of-1552701373

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/03/14 04:30 AM

@Ivy

The owner of the Colts was recently caught with FELONY amounts of illegal drugs a few weeks after the Superbowl.

I'll update this thread when the case is decided but would you go on record and guess what kind of legal ramifications will result?
What penalties do you think the NFL will impose on Irsay?

here' a article that came out shortly after the arrest

http://deadspin.com/police-jim-irsay-was-arrested-with-a-briefcase-full-of-1552701373

However the NFL decides to handle Irsay's situation, I highly doubt he'll be banned for life. As for the legal side, I imagine his lawyers will plea bargain the four counts of felony possession and DUI down to something much smaller.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/03/14 02:59 PM

@ivyleague

are there even any black people in utah for you to be so "conservative"

how are u "conservative" with all the oddball shit that goes on in utah?

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/03/14 08:13 PM

Racism is still rife in soccer in mainland Europe, an awful thing in this day and age. Eastern Europe especially, but in Spain at the weekend, Dani Alves, a black Brazilian who plays for the mighty Barcelona was pelted with bananas whilst taking a corner!!!! Absolutely shocking. What is the matter with these people???

read about that....it was allegedly a publicity stunt of some sort...but like you said...real incidents like that happen quite a bit in eastern europe,and Spain. Italy also.

On a related note...Boston Bruins fans flooded social media with racist nonsense after a Black opposing player scored winning goal in overtime of a playoff hockey game.

here's a link from local Boston media

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/bruins_insider/2014/05/bruins_react_to_racist_tweets

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/03/14 10:20 PM

a black Brazilian who plays for the mighty Barcelona was pelted with bananas whilst taking a corner!!!!

The exact same thing happened to Patrick Ewing at Madison Square Garden in 1985. I know it was almost thirty years ago, but still, so much for New York being the most "tolerant" city in the world.
Posted By: Footreads

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/04/14 11:22 AM

There is racism in Brazil between the light skinned and dark skinned Brazilians.

On the Basketball owner banned for life? He is 87 years old give or take life can end tommorow for him.

When you get really old your brain doesn't always work right. Not making excuses for him, but it is a fact.

This is what happens when you get old. You can remember what happened 60 years ago like Yestarday. But you can't seem to remember what happened Yestarday.

New York City is tolerant if you live in the city you know that. But, most tolerant I don't know that.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/04/14 12:16 PM

@Footread,

why do I get the suspicion that you are the guy formerly known as cornuto?

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/04/14 12:42 PM

Nope sorry

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/04/14 12:50 PM

a black Brazilian who plays for the mighty Barcelona was pelted with bananas whilst taking a corner!!!!

The exact same thing happened to Patrick Ewing at Madison Square Garden in 1985. I know it was almost thirty years ago, but still, so much for New York being the most "tolerant" city in the world.

I knew that this happened routinely to Ewing in college.Coach Thompson forfeited at least one game when he walked his team off the court when school officials, refs,etc would NOT or could NOT get some racist signs removed from the facility...

Older guy who worked as a security guard at the school I went to told me this story. Ewing's sister was a grad student there...Georgetown comes in to play..his sister had to watch her fellow students and probably people that she went to class with yell all sorts of racist stuff, throw things at, and hold up racist signs directed at the Hoyas and her brother. There was a small feature about her in the school newspaper a few days before the game.

Reporters saw all of this stuff happen to Ewing during his college career as the Hoyas were a high profile team....but almost unanimously they chose not to write about it.

This is the first I'm reading about it happening at MSG, but nothing surprises me when it comes to racism.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/04/14 08:59 PM

This is the first I'm reading about it happening at MSG, but nothing surprises me when it comes to racism.

Oh, it happened, Gets. My brother and I used to go to at least twenty games a year back then, and I saw it first hand.

There was a Celtic game that was particularly ugly. These booze addled White trash Boston fans drove over 200 miles to throw banana peels at the poor guy. And I know they got cuffed, but I'm not sure if they were taken to the tombs, or just taken to the "Garden Jail" and released when they sobered up.

But you're right about about those incidents being under-reported. It was disgraceful.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/04/14 10:54 PM

Oh, it happened, Gets. My brother and I used to go to at least twenty games a year back then, and I saw it first hand.

There was a Celtic game that was particularly ugly. These booze addled White trash Boston fans drove over 200 miles to throw banana peels at the poor guy. And I know they got cuffed, but I'm not sure if they were taken to the tombs, or just taken to the "Garden Jail" and released when they sobered up.

But you're right about about those incidents being under-reported. It was disgraceful.

And Ewing is a Boston guy
......the story about the Bruins fans going full racist at the hockey player mentions that .....whoops..the Bruins drafted HIS younger brother this year.

I've met some open racists from football obsessed deep south...they don't care for Blacks but if the right Black recruit can get their alma mater to the national championship.....he can marry their sister for all they care.

Bill Russell was the greatest winner Boston, or any city has ever known...and he got his house vandalized by people who didn't want him in their neighborhood.

so much for simple labels like liberal=good,open minded
bible belt=bad,

boston is one of the most liberal cities in the country and one of the most racist
Posted By: cornuto_e_contento

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/04/14 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Footreads
There is racism in Brazil between the light skinned and dark skinned Brazilians.

True; but Brasilians have so many terms and classifications about race that it's not something people in North America always understand, and they use terms that many African-Americans would find racist like Mulatto, canela (cinnamon), amarela (yellow), or chocolate to describe peoples' race, heritage, or skin color.

Something a lot of Americans do not realise about Brasil is that they have the largest Japanese population outside of Japan and the Japanese people in Brasil have assimilated and done very well.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/07/14 11:57 PM

wbc suspends boxer after racially insensitive comments

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/20552...sitive-comments

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/08/14 12:00 AM

wbc suspends boxer after racially insensitive comments

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/20552...sitive-comments

Political correctness run amok. If a Mexican fighter said "I just beat shit out of an American," it wouldn't even make the papers.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/08/14 07:14 AM

Perhaps this is a Boston thing. Back in the 60's and 70's I was a Buffalo Bills fan and all the time I heard stories of Bills fans going to a game in Boston and if wearing Bills apparel, getting an ass kicking.I also remember a pre season game in Rochester NY and as a large crowd of Boston people fighting small groups of Bills fans when they were caught outnumbered,

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/08/14 07:15 AM

Originally Posted By: cornuto_e_contento
Originally Posted By: Footreads

True; but Brasilians have so many terms and classifications about race that it's not something people in North America always understand, and they use terms that many African-Americans would find racist like Mulatto, canela (cinnamon), amarela (yellow), or chocolate to describe peoples' race, heritage, or skin color.

Something a lot of Americans do not realise about Brasil is that they have the largest Japanese population outside of Japan and the Japanese people in Brasil have assimilated and done very well.

There are a lot of Italians in Brazil as well.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/08/14 06:55 PM

How about that black senator from Mississippi who, this week said some racist things and called Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas an "Uncle Tom"????OK???

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/08/14 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: bigboy
How about that black senator from Mississippi who, this week said some racist things and called Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas an "Uncle Tom"????OK???

It's inexcusable. But two wrongs don't make a right. Bennie Thompson's stupidity doesn't make Donald Sterling any smarter wink .

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/08/14 07:42 PM

Here's who I don't like

Trashy people that have no respect for themselves or others

I DONT care about class, race, gender etc.

I show you respect and you show me respect, done.

Sounds simple right....a person can dream smile

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/08/14 08:45 PM

Here's who I don't like

Trashy people that have no respect for themselves or others

I DONT care about class, race, gender etc.

I show you respect and you show me respect, done.

Sounds simple right....a person can dream smile

Respect Cheech Respect

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/09/14 10:55 AM

It's inexcusable. But two wrongs don't make a right. Bennie Thompson's stupidity doesn't make Donald Sterling any smarter wink .
Agree P.B. That's for sure. Just don't like double standards.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/12/14 09:39 AM

I've pretty much kept out of this discussion but recently it's been made public that the NBA owner's are going to attempt to vote to force Donald Sterling to sell his team. His wife, Shelly Sterling owns 50% of the team and she doesn't want to sell. LeBron James and Magic Johnson have both come forward to pretty much state that they want all of the Sterling's gone from the Clippers. Now, my question is, is that really fair? Shelly never made those comments and it just seems like guilt by association. If the NBA wants to run Donald Sterling out of the game, fine, I have no problem with that. But is it right for other players to say his estranged wife be gone too although (to public knowledge) she's done nothing wrong here!?

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/12/14 10:09 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^

this ain't 1840, they're not gonna let his family keep his plantation

imagine how much of a racist dickhead you've gotta be in order to lose your franchise

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/12/14 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Irishman12
I've pretty much kept out of this discussion but recently it's been made public that the NBA owner's are going to attempt to vote to force Donald Sterling to sell his team. His wife, Shelly Sterling owns 50% of the team and she doesn't want to sell. LeBron James and Magic Johnson have both come forward to pretty much state that they want all of the Sterling's gone from the Clippers. Now, my question is, is that really fair? Shelly never made those comments and it just seems like guilt by association. If the NBA wants to run Donald Sterling out of the game, fine, I have no problem with that. But is it right for other players to say his estranged wife be gone too although (to public knowledge) she's done nothing wrong here!?

owning an NBA team isnt a right...there are bylaws you have to abide by...almost like owning a condo or a town home...you dont abide by the guidelines (loud music, garbage, etc.) they can force you to move...its not like there going to make just the husband move, kids and wife and dog gotta go to

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/12/14 11:43 AM

owning an NBA team isnt a right...there are bylaws you have to abide by...almost like owning a condo or a town home...you dont abide by the guidelines (loud music, garbage, etc.) they can force you to move...its not like there going to make just the husband move, kids and wife and dog gotta go to

That's pretty much it. There really isn't any due process like in a court of law. But owners know this going in. It's not like they're changing the NBA by-laws just to torture this guy.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/12/14 06:26 PM

Like my first comment in this thread stated....Sterling's rant(#1) was consistent with some of the commets/actions that he's bee linked to in the past including housing discrimination lawsuit that he settled.

Unless I'm mistaken, his wife was named in the lawsuit and/ or some of the questionable actions linked to Sterling.

The idea that she retains partial ownership of the team gives the impression that Sterling would be circumventing the ruling that Commish. Silver put down.

Some of the attorneys on the site can determine whether she has legitimate 50% stake in the team. Would she have the same legal rights as a person or group that Sterling sold 50% stake in the team to.Does she attend/vote in owner's meetings?

I didn't think the Sterlings would go away quietly, but sports are about Americas coming together and Donald's involvement/connection to the NBA is hurting the brand
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/12/14 07:31 PM

In an update, I heard today that it's in the NBA's bylaws that if an owner is voted out, then the rest of the owner's group is out too. This was the first I've heard of it that's why I posed the question. But since it's in the NBA's bylaws (such as owner conduct, etc) then I don't believe she has a shot at retaining her share of the team.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/16/14 08:10 AM

When your views prevent you from doing your job or treating others with common decency..THAT'S when it's a problem

Election of Obama has brought a lot of these feelings to the surface.

Like clockwork

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/...ng-obama-n-word

POLICE COMMISH caught calling POTUS a slur and refuses to apologize or step down.

I always say...be WHO you are and be consistent..and while this guy is a racist asshole..have to respect him fully embracing being a racist asshole.

Don't say racist shit and then apologize and claim not to be a racist.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/16/14 08:32 AM

Maybe no one has noticed this but the guys saying this shit are in their mid 80s.

I have one word that might explain it Dementia

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/18/14 04:47 PM

@getthesenets

racism is worth too many "conservatives" jobs if u ask me

this stupid mothafucka is gonna lose his job over someone that's about to be unemployed

@footreads

donald sterling is probably going to hell when he dies

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 11:02 AM

Heard most of the audio. The idea that disagreeing with Obamacare....or any of Obama's decisions makes someone a racist is ludicrous...and trivializes real racism.

The fringe element of people who just hate a Black man being potus are a small but vocal minority of people.

The element of people who would blindly follow Obama's decisions regardless of how they would be personally impacted is a small minority of people also.

Politicians know how to exploit people who already have their minds made up. Articles, stories and sound bytes will be seen/heard and then repeated VERBATIM by this element without examining/checking any of it out for themselves.

Thompson is from Miss. and that state has a very ugly history regarding all Americans being able to FULLY enjoy the rights of citizenship, so his read on things might be different than mine but one face value...I have to say he's talking out of his ass on the point about anybody opposing Obamacare instantly being a racist. Ninety % of the criticisms of Obama are STANDARD partisan politics and/or valid disagreements with his policies/actions.

Some of the "he hates America" stuff falls into category of politicos pandering to happily uninformed people.

Thompson's comments, at least the ones I heard..fall into category of pandering also.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 11:43 AM

"donald sterling is probably going to hell when he dies"

I think people who say this kind of stuff will most likely wind up in hell themselves. Well, I will see you there when I die.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 02:29 PM

That's pretty much it. There really isn't any due process like in a court of law. But owners know this going in. It's not like they're changing the NBA by-laws just to torture this guy.

Owning an NBA team may not be a right but, my question is, will Sterling be paid if and when the team is taken away? Whatever he said, it's his property and somebody's property being taken away from them simply for what they think or say sets a dangerous precedent.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 02:38 PM

Owning an NBA team may not be a right but, my question is, will Sterling be paid if and when the team is taken away? Whatever he said, it's his property and somebody's property being taken away from them simply for what they think or say sets a dangerous precedent.

Is keeping the money even a question? Because I agree, that would be absurd.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 02:52 PM

Is keeping the money even a question? Because I agree, that would be absurd.

It shouldn't be but in our society, where political correctness holds such sway, nothing would surprise me.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 05:49 PM

donald sterling breached his contract, why should he get paid?

what the fuck would they pay him for?

it's funny how "upstanding citizens" are always defending degenerate racists

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 05:50 PM

If or when a sale of the team takes place, whether voluntary or coerced, Sterling will receive full compensation for his proprietary interest in the team. That is guaranteed by league bylaws and state and federal law. There has been no serious suggestion otherwise.

The league could possibly eventually sell the team at market value if it is determined that the league has proper authority to compel a sale and the owner does not act with due speed in that regard. Also, the league must approve any sale before it takes place.But that scenario would be years in the future.

While the NBA appears to be on solid ground banning him from the game for life, forcing him to sell the team is a much harder proposition. Both sides have arguable legal bases.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 06:05 PM

If or when a sale of the team takes place, whether voluntary or coerced, Sterling will receive full compensation for his proprietary interest in the team. That is guaranteed by league bylaws and state and federal law. There has been no serious suggestion otherwise.

The league could possibly eventually sell the team at market value if it is determined that the league has proper authority to compel a sale and the owner does not act with due speed in that regard. Also, the league must approve any sale before it takes place.But that scenario would be years in the future.

While the NBA appears to be on solid ground banning him from the game for life, forcing him to sell the team is a much harder proposition. Both sides have arguable legal bases.

Thanks, Klyd. That's pretty much what I thought, but it's always nice seeing you lay it out for us smile.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 06:14 PM

donald sterling breached his contract, why should he get paid?

what the fuck would they pay him for?

Read Klydon's post above. As a matter of law, he must receive full compensation if and when the team is sold.

it's funny how "upstanding citizens" are always defending degenerate racists

I've been on this asshole's case since the story broke. But since I think he should receive fair compensation for a team that the man PAID FOR, I'm somehow defending his despicable position on Blacks? rolleyes
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 07:51 PM

PB a VERY old but wise man once told me Don't Feed the Fucking Trolls!! grin
Posted By: LittleNicky

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 07:51 PM

Stop responding to Cook. He is literally wrong on every subject, substantively and factually. He never thinks or better yet attempts to learn, just reacts emotionally to everything.

You can't just liquidate assets, regardless of the justness of the liquidation process, without compensation. In this case, this sterling litigation will go on for years and years and years.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
PB a VERY old but wise man once told me Don't Feed the Fucking Trolls!! grin

lol lol

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: LittleNicky
In this case, this sterling litigation will go on for years and years and years.

And years grin.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 08:03 PM

I'm all for him selling. But u cannot stop his right to earn for saying and thinking racist remarks.

Cook. I know you're not as dumb as you come off. Think about this for a second. Not any man woman or child with common sense would think he shouldn't receive monies from the sale.

The guy is a billionaire. He doesn't care about the money. His enjoyment were his "trophy" players. Taken it away is worse than taking away money anyway.

And I wholeheartedly believe he is a nasty old racist.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 08:04 PM

I mean earn from the sale. To clarify

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 08:22 PM

Cook. I know you're not as dumb as you come off.

I think he's selling you short, Cook grin .

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 08:42 PM

I'm all for him selling. But u cannot stop his right to earn for saying and thinking racist remarks.

Cook. I know you're not as dumb as you come off. Think about this for a second. Not any man woman or child with common sense would think he shouldn't receive monies from the sale.

The guy is a billionaire. He doesn't care about the money. His enjoyment were his "trophy" players. Taken it away is worse than taking away money anyway.

I think he WAS a nasty old racist for many years. And the NBA had plenty of time to do something about ,you know, his actual actions that ruined people's lives(housing discrimination or beating his son).

But now we live in a heavily narcissistic society of attempting to trump each other in self-righteousness. If there was something to be mad at it- it was his overt acts that harmed people, not this bullshit senile gibberish that actually hurts nobody. But the old adage of "being what we do- not what we say say we are, not what we wish to be" has long sense faded. It says more about us as a society and less about retards like sterling.

Now he is just a senile old fool that doesnt know his head from his ass.
Posted By: ItalianForever

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/20/14 09:37 PM

I suppose cook thinks we should be able to have our personal property taken from us for private thoughts and conversations. Eerily similar to 1984. FYI Cook, 1984 is a book. A book is.... well forget it.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 10:20 AM

I think he WAS a nasty old racist for many years. And the NBA had plenty of time to do something about ,you know, his actual actions that ruined people's lives(housing discrimination or beating his son).

But now we live in a heavily narcissistic society of attempting to trump each other in self-righteousness. If there was something to be mad at it- it was his overt acts that harmed people, not this bullshit senile gibberish that actually hurts nobody. But the old adage of "being what we do- not what we say say we are, not what we wish to be" has long sense faded. It says more about us as a society and less about retards like sterling.

Now he is just a senile old fool that doesnt know his head from his ass.

agreed

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 01:09 PM

@little nicky

one minute he's senile talking gibberish (HE's NOT SENILE)

the next minute he knows his legal precedents and what loopholes are in NBA bylaws

@italian forever

donald sterling is probably gonna lose his plantation to magic johnson

donald sterling should've kept his dick outta a black/mexican tranny

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 03:43 PM

that was intelligent cook, thanks

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 03:46 PM

Stop responding to Cook. He is literally wrong on every subject, substantively and factually. He never thinks or better yet attempts to learn, just reacts emotionally to everything.

You can't just liquidate assets, regardless of the justness of the liquidation process, without compensation. In this case, this sterling litigation will go on for years and years and years.

Yup. And, in case nobody noticed, I stopped responding to cook a while back. Besides just being a troll, the guy has the IQ of a lima bean. Not worth bothering with.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 03:50 PM

Yup. And, in case nobody noticed, I stopped responding to cook a while back. Besides just being a troll, the guy has the IQ of a lima bean. Not worth bothering with.

I used to think he was just dumb. But after reading this, I'm convinced that he's actually brain damaged:

donald sterling is probably gonna lose his plantation to magic johnson

donald sterling should've kept his dick outta a black/mexican tranny

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 04:54 PM

Sterling is not suffering from dementia anymore than the "Chin" was.And if there exists any evidence that one of the symptoms of dementia is making clear and coherent comments about your views of other racial groups,I'd like to see it. His private comments seem to be consistent with some of the actions he's taken in the past.
He made the comments, he should own up to believing them. Let's at least agree on that.

If he made multiple prejudiced comments about Mormons, and owned a sports franchise in Utah..I think he'd become a pariah and the value of his team would sink. If he owned a club soccer team in Europe with heavy Italian fanbase and roster full of Italians and made racist comments about Italians, he'd become a pariah and there would be financial repercussions.

Modern NBA is a global brand with players from, and fanbase in...all four corners of the planet. Sterling is a pariah to the NBA brand. Silver did what he thought he had to do to protect the brand.The other owners will vote to remove Sterling in the best interest of the league,regardless of their personal feelings toward him or how this has played out.

I'm thinking of the fictional lines from American Gangster when the mafioso character was schooling Frank about order. "More important than any one man's life is order."

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 07:15 PM

Can't argue with any of that Gets.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 07:53 PM

Sterling is not suffering from dementia anymore than the "Chin" was.And if there exists any evidence that one of the symptoms of dementia is making clear and coherent comments about your views of other racial groups,I'd like to see it. His private comments seem to be consistent with some of the actions he's taken in the past.
He made the comments, he should own up to believing them. Let's at least agree on that.

If he made multiple prejudiced comments about Mormons, and owned a sports franchise in Utah..I think he'd become a pariah and the value of his team would sink. If he owned a club soccer team in Europe with heavy Italian fanbase and roster full of Italians and made racist comments about Italians, he'd become a pariah and there would be financial repercussions.

Modern NBA is a global brand with players from, and fanbase in...all four corners of the planet. Sterling is a pariah to the NBA brand. Silver did what he thought he had to do to protect the brand.The other owners will vote to remove Sterling in the best interest of the league,regardless of their personal feelings toward him or how this has played out.

I'm thinking of the fictional lines from American Gangster when the mafioso character was schooling Frank about order. "More important than any one man's life is order."

Again, you completely go off topic. Why are the two propositions you stated mutually exclusive? Why can't he both be racist and senile?

If you listen to other tapes, you can't help put come away thinking he suffers from a mix of old age and mild dementia. I spend lots of time with my grandmother at her memory care unit and I have heard more coherent things come out of their mouths. And they are serious cases. Some of his stuff, especially talking to the rapper about sex, had almost a wordsoup quality.

And the fact you think illegally recorded gibberish that harms nobody is more relevant than his actual horrific behavior throughout his life tells me everything I need to know. The league is full of people that actually harm lives, like having tons of kids that have no hope of actually having a father. Or violence against women in their lives. I'm also sure there are tons of creep owners engaging in the same sort of ugly business as Sterling. On the other hand I doubt any kid is at home crying themselves to asleep at night because a old senile fool was talking to his prostitute about his crackpot theories on life.

I never questioned why the NBA wants to throw him out now. PR wise it makes sense. But there is no substance here (unlike say housing discrimination)- But just people attempting to trump each other in the enlightenment and self-righteousness department. Sterling is a easy target. Talking about the things that fundamentally hurt people and taking action there isn't as interesting or as easy. We are a society of slacktivists with fake outrage.
Posted By: paprincess

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 07:59 PM

I must say I personally would be embarrassed to be seen with an old fart like Sterling... I would DIE if anyone thought THAT was my boyfriend and not my crazy old grandpap...
Posted By: ItalianForever

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 08:20 PM

Little nicky by KO again.

At Cook: I now know what richie aprile was saying when he said "if you want to talk like a fucking m--linyan, i'll take you to slip and falls school".

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 08:54 PM

You hit the nail on the head.

For others to suggest that Sterling's comments were just "gibberish" and didn't hurt anybody is absurd. He clearly and dispassionately expressed his repulsion concerning Blacks attending his team's games and associating with his mistress. The NBA has reached unparalleled global popularity, based in no small measure upon diversity and inclusion. His presence, if Silver allowed it to continue, would damage the league's credibility and marketability.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 09:02 PM

Why are the two propositions you stated mutually exclusive? Why can't he both be racist and senile?

If you listen to other tapes, you can't help put come away thinking he suffers from a mix of old age and mild dementia.

Dementia is a medical diagnosis. It is irresponsible to rationalize his racism by speculating and assuming he's suffering from dementia when your sole knowledge is what you've heard. It seems you're trying to create a conveniently self-serving reality to defend him.
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 09:21 PM

it's funny how some people seriously believe that one person saying something off-colour is actually going to affect the nba brand as a whole. how many people who are fans are actually going to not buy tickets or not watch a game as a result of a few words spoken by somebody in the privacy of their own home that they are never going to meet in real life? then we have a hiv spreading, womenizing pig in magic johnson who wants to interject himself into the equation as some sort of a morality barometer? all we end up getting is the same bunch of bleeding hearts who latch onto this issue the same way that whore girlfriend latched onto an 80 y/o bag of bones. the good news is that the cronkite generation of upper middle class white captain save a ho's are on there way out, so real issues that actually effect people can again soon be discussed! smile

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
it's funny how some people seriously believe that one person saying something off-colour is actually going to affect the nba brand as a whole.

Major sponsors did, in fact, suspend their investments in the Clippers and more were lined up to walk away, had not Siver acted accordingly. Yeah, the league would go on if he were still there, but his presence would be a needless embarrassing distraction. There's no room in sport for an owner who articulates such Jim Crow beliefs.

I'm kind of amazed that this needs to be stated.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 10:23 PM

Why are the two propositions you stated mutually exclusive? Why can't he both be racist and senile?

If you listen to other tapes, you can't help put come away thinking he suffers from a mix of old age and mild dementia.

Dementia is a medical diagnosis. It is irresponsible to rationalize his racism by speculating and assuming he's suffering from dementia when your sole knowledge is what you've heard. It seems you're trying to create a conveniently self-serving reality to defend him.

Go listen to the tapes and come away with any other impression. He's an old crackpot that is at best low-functioning and at worst has the beginning stages of dementia. Dementia is not a hard diagnosis, rather its subjective and factors based. Then again, you don't spend all day around these people and have any clue.

There was zero rationalization given if you actual bothered to read the post. But this is not a serious substantive debate, merely self-righteous howling and outrage to make people feel better about themselves.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 10:28 PM

You hit the nail on the head.

For others to suggest that Sterling's comments were just "gibberish" and didn't hurt anybody is absurd. He clearly and dispassionately expressed his repulsion concerning Blacks attending his team's games and associating with his mistress. The NBA has reached unparalleled global popularity, based in no small measure upon diversity and inclusion. His presence, if Silver allowed it to continue, would damage the league's credibility and marketability.

Who was substantively hurt? Some marketing company somewhere? The league theoretically from some bad PR?

Now compare this to the overt acts like his long standing housing discrimination cases or the public beating of his son (and his later suicide). Or compare it the cast of creeps the NBA employs as players. People are hurt in those cases. Real people. Not marketing companies. Nobody is crying tonight because some old crackpot was recorded with his prostitute.

Drop the moralistic shit. This is about PR. It's not about Jim Crow or racism or real offenses. If it was, they would have done something after the discrimination suits decades ago.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 10:33 PM

Dementia is not a hard diagnosis, rather its subjective and factors based. Then again, you don't spend all day around these people and have any clue.

You're wrong, Doctor. My father presently suffers from dementia. My grandmother suffered thirteen years with it; an uncle and two aunts died in the past two years, and another aunt has it.

There is no reason to jump to the conclusion that Sterling has it (in any of its forms)when you don't know him and your knowledge is limited to what was presented through media.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/21/14 10:39 PM

Dementia is not a hard diagnosis, rather its subjective and factors based. Then again, you don't spend all day around these people and have any clue.

You're wrong, Doctor. My father presently suffers from dementia. My grandmother suffered thirteen years with it; an uncle and two aunts died in the past two years, and another aunt has it.

There is no reason to jump to the conclusion that Sterling has it (in any of its forms)when you don't know him and your knowledge is limited to what was presented through media.

Passed through the media? I listened to the unmediated tapes. I know you think being pedantic is fun, but actually go listen and come away with the impression that this individual is even marginally functioning.

Even Barbara Walters came away with this impression and stated so publicly.

But of course, I am sure you want to evaluate the man's personal medical records.
Posted By: paprincess

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/22/14 07:11 PM

Five_Felonies!!!!! LMAO very well said... I can't even PRETEND to like the whole "meet my third wife" mentality... you want to see dementia ... put me in bed with an old fart... if he got too close I'd roll over on his ass fully clothed with an ice pick Sharon stone style... even before the "O" face was CONSIDERED...

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/22/14 08:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tms_Hs7G_w

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/23/14 08:01 AM

I liked what Mark Cuban said. Spot on.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/23/14 12:25 PM

Talk about political correctness run amok. The guy went out of his way to mention sketchy looking White people and sketchy looking Black people in the same sentence, and the media still jumped on him. I guess if you're White you're no longer allowed to make reference to Black people and the word "hoodie" in the same sentence. Now I think Mark Cuban is a bit of a show-off and a lout for a host of other reasons, but he didn't do anything wrong here.

And just for the record, if I'm at an ATM at 2 in the morning and a White guy with tattoos on his face starts walking toward me, I'm walking the other way. And yes, if I'm at that same ATM at 2 in the morning, and a Black guy with his hoodie pulled over his eyes starts walking toward me, I'm walking the other way. And any menatally capable person who says otherwise is lying through their politically correct teeth.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/23/14 12:39 PM

thats why i try to stay away from those ATM's at 2 am in Hunts Point. panic

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/23/14 12:41 PM

thats why i try to stay away from those ATM's at 2 am in Hunts Point. panic

Nothing good happens at 2 am. Especially at Hunts Point lol.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/23/14 12:41 PM

mark cuban has proven that he can make statement like that and not get looked at sideways

donald sterling has proven that he shouldn't be allowed to profit off black people

if he has all white players then he should be able to keep his team

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/23/14 12:43 PM

mark cuban has proven that he can make statement like that and not get looked at sideways

We're in agreement there.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/31/14 12:04 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba...s-sale/9788985/

ooops don, looks like i was completely right. Didn't take a genius to figure this one out.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/31/14 12:15 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba...s-sale/9788985/

ooops don, looks like i was completely right. Didn't take a genius to figure this one out.

Good call, Nicky smile.
Posted By: olivant

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 05/31/14 12:34 PM

We're in agreement there.

That's because he's a Pittsburgh boy! Skill.

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 06/01/14 03:45 PM

Talk about political correctness run amok. The guy went out of his way to mention sketchy looking White people and sketchy looking Black people in the same sentence, and the media still jumped on him. I guess if you're White you're no longer allowed to make reference to Black people and the word "hoodie" in the same sentence. Now I think Mark Cuban is a bit of a show-off and a lout for a host of other reasons, but he didn't do anything wrong here.

And just for the record, if I'm at an ATM at 2 in the morning and a White guy with tattoos on his face starts walking toward me, I'm walking the other way. And yes, if I'm at that same ATM at 2 in the morning, and a Black guy with his hoodie pulled over his eyes starts walking toward me, I'm walking the other way. And any menatally capable person who says otherwise is lying through their politically correct teeth.

Just asking, here PB, do you frequent your ATM at 2 in the morning often?

Re: NBA Owner's Racist Rant - 06/01/14 04:17 PM

Just asking, here PB, do you frequent your ATM at 2 in the morning often?

lol lol

I honestly can't remember the last time I used an ATM at all! lol lol
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET