Home

Is the market rigged?

Posted By: MikeyO

Is the market rigged? - 04/02/14 06:05 PM

Is the market rigged? Michael Lewis is trying to sell his book but it's created quite an uproar especially on CNBC. Does anyone see a hidden agenda here?
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Is the market rigged? - 04/02/14 11:31 PM

I think securities markets are not so much rigged, as open to gaming by clever, ruthless operators who exploit every possible technological edge and regulatory loophole. Their greed often takes them into criminal territory. Regulation doesn't help--regulation is always years behind the marketplace. An individual investor among those operators is like a mouse running in a herd of elephants.
Posted By: MikeyO

Re: Is the market rigged? - 04/03/14 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I think securities markets are not so much rigged, as open to gaming by clever, ruthless operators who exploit every possible technological edge and regulatory loophole. Their greed often takes them into criminal territory. Regulation doesn't help--regulation is always years behind the marketplace. An individual investor among those operators is like a mouse running in a herd of elephants.

But threatening one or two elephants might get the mouse a piece of cheese
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: Is the market rigged? - 04/03/14 06:26 PM

everything is rigged......can't make money unless the fix is in
Posted By: Meyer

Re: Is the market rigged? - 04/17/14 04:34 PM

I think that the level of people and institutions trading on insider information is very pervasive.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Is the market rigged? - 04/17/14 05:17 PM

"Where there is money, there is corruption." - me
Posted By: flattax

Re: Is the market rigged? - 04/24/14 09:24 PM

Look at the P/E of a stock and you can't get that in a bank!
Apple was up over $42/share today and is splitting the stock in June --- a 7 for one split! Might bring the stock down to $75 a share from over $500/share but then it is an affordable or more affordable stock for an investor. That is an investor not a player. I love the stock market. Where else can you make money in your sleep? Just saying....
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Is the market rigged? - 04/24/14 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: flattax
Where else can you make money in your sleep?

At a volunteer sleep study?
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Is the market rigged? - 04/25/14 02:21 PM

lol
Posted By: Alfa Romeo

Re: Is the market rigged? - 09/29/14 03:04 AM

Quote:
Is the market rigged? Michael Lewis is trying to sell his book but it's created quite an uproar especially on CNBC. Does anyone see a hidden agenda here?

Sometimes individual stocks are rigged, as in Mafia pump and dump schemes. And in the short term, most stocks you could say are rigged, but not as much in the medium term and not in the long term. In the long term, the expansion or contraction of the economy is going to put most stocks (3 out of 4) in either a Bear or a Bull trend.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Is the market rigged? - 09/29/14 01:27 PM

I started investing in mutual funds through IDS when I got married in the late 60s. I trade in some stocks and have long term investments in others, but mostly in mutual funds. One reason that both my wife and I could retire relatively young is because of those investments. If the market is rigged, good! Keep it up!
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Is the market rigged? - 09/29/14 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
One reason that both my wife and I could retire relatively young is because of those investments. If the market is rigged, good! Keep it up!

My sentiments exactly! grin
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Is the market rigged? - 09/29/14 03:19 PM

Everything is rigged.
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: Is the market rigged? - 09/29/14 05:29 PM

just an old timers opinion, but, I go along with deniro,and turnbull is right about regulation, its worthless.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET