Home

Who has all been to Italy?

Posted By: Dago_From_Chicago

Who has all been to Italy? - 02/19/14 05:25 PM

Out of everyone on this board, I'm just carious as to who all has been to Italy. If you have been there, what Regions and how many times have you been to Italy? I myself was in the U.S. Army and stationed in Hohenfels Germany from 2002-2009 and traveled to Italy many times over those 7 years via planes trains and driving my own car. I had a girlfriend in Pisa Italy that I visited at least 2 weekends a month and also visited with family many times in Bagheria Sicily.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/19/14 05:30 PM

I've never gone; my wife has several times with a couple of our daughters. They've visited almost all of Italy.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/19/14 05:33 PM

I've been to Italy more than a dozen times, visiting relatives on both sides of my family. My Mom's people are in Matera, Basilicata. But it's my father's people, in Lauropoli, Cosenza, who I more closely identify with because I lived there for eighteen months before I was married back in the '80s.

Many of our posters have spent a good deal of time in both Sicily and on the Italian mainland. Off the top of my head, Carmela and Sicilian Babe have both spent plenty of time in Sicily. Especially Carmela.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/19/14 06:09 PM

Visited as a tourist when I was 19, for about 17 days. Took a bus tour with family, and visited every major tourist location from Milan to Naples, and everywhere in between (Bologna, Venice, Florence, Rome, Vatican, etc). While in Pisa, some of my dad's relatives came down from La Spezia to visit. We didn't make it to Calabria (where my dad's father was from) nor Sicily (where my grandmother was from), but someday I hope to make it there!
Posted By: LaLouisiane

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/19/14 06:57 PM

Yep been there, landed in Milan and flew out of Rome.

Got the pleasure of visiting Venice in December while wearing clothing that would suit Louisiana's temperatures, quite an unpleasant surprise that day was..
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/20/14 01:07 AM

In 2002 I went on a "pilgrimage" to Italy. It was through our church and led by our parish priest. Being a pilgrimage we visited many religious sites, as well as historical. It was by far one of the most enjoyable, inspirational ten days I've ever spent. The trip was organized through the Catholic Travel Center, each day we celebrated mass in a different location.

The towns/cities we visited were in order; Anzio, Nettuno, Sorrento, Amalfi, Pompeii, Rome, Assisi, Florence, Tivoli. We attended mass in St. Peter's grottoes where the Popes are buried, the basilicas of St. Paul and St. Mary Major; in the catacombs of St. Calixto, the abbey of St Benedict, the basilica of St. Francis of Assisi, Church of St. Andrew in Amalfi and several others. We visited the Uffizi Art Museum in Florence, the ruins of Pompeii, the Colosseum in Rome. We drank wine that tasted like no other and enjoyed a beautiful country with friendly, beautiful people. Mamma Mia, I want to go back.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/20/14 02:20 AM

I've been to Italy six or seven times. Venice, Florence, Rome and throughout Sicily. It's been too many years since we've been back.

I love Rome, but to me there is no place more beautiful than Sicily. From the ruins to the churches to the beaches to the mountains, it has so much beauty. That was one thing that Puzo did right in The Godfather, he captured the timelessness and beauty of Sicily.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/20/14 04:08 PM

Like olivant, I've never gone to Italy, but my wife and daughter went on a trip there about ten years ago.

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/21/14 06:22 AM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
In 2002 I went on a "pilgrimage" to Italy....

While I say I'm Catholic, I'm not a very good (practicing) Catholic -- I consider myself more "spiritual" -- but man! I'd do that in a second!! I did see (and was blessed by) future Saint John Paul II, tho!

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I've been to Italy six or seven times. Venice, Florence, Rome and throughout Sicily. It's been too many years since we've been back.

And I'm sure you'll back many more times! (Please take me with you!!)
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/21/14 06:10 PM

I love Rome, but to me there is no place more beautiful than Sicily. From the ruins to the churches to the beaches to the mountains, it has so much beauty. That was one thing that Puzo did right in The Godfather, he captured the timelessness and beauty of Sicily.

I agree 100%! Well said!

I loved Rome and simply adored Capri. But there is really something special about Sicily.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/22/14 01:07 PM

Been to Naples and Sorrento on holiday about 7 years ago. Wonderful in all aspects.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/22/14 11:52 PM

Spent a year in Florence in the late 60's and back then went all over from the Alps to Sicily. Have been bacl many times (6 or 7)
and plan to go back again. Still thinking of retiring there.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/23/14 05:15 PM

I have never been but would love to go. My parents as well as my older brother have visited a couple times and loved it.

My father was born in Trapani, Sicily and visited relatives each time he went there. If I do go I would definitely HAVE to visit Sicily. I have a picture of the church my father was baptized in and would love to see if it's still standing, as well as the apartment he was born in (which as of the 1980s WAS still standing.)

smile

TIS

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/23/14 06:22 PM

I would be more surprised if that church was NOT standing. We visited church where my grandparents were baptized, and it's still beautiful. Not only did we visit the church, but when we were there in 2001 it was some church anniversary, so Swarovski crystal did a special issue with a picture of the Madonna from that church. My mother was going to be 75 that year, so I bought her one, and had to get one for myself, too.

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/23/14 06:34 PM

SB,

Thank God for my older brother who throughout the years asked questions of my grandmothers and the "older" generation. So much so, that he made a binder of all the facts he gathered from them, typing them out and making copies for all of us.

I pulled out my ancestry info and found that my father was baptized at Santo Niccola Church in Trapani.

Also, my grandparents (dad's side) were married May 17, 1919 in The Cathedral of San Lorenzo, also in Trapani.

Do you know of these churches? I'd post pics but my scanner bit the dust. rolleyes

TIS

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/23/14 08:50 PM

Years ago I had my Dad write out as much as he could remember about his parents and him, etc. My mother never got around to it about her.

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/23/14 09:18 PM

My brother was very thorough. He has names, maiden names, birth dates and even siblings, ages of most relatives going at least thru my great great grandparents. He was the only one of us who to learn Italian fluently. He always enjoyed speaking to my grandparents/and Italian old-timers so he could perfect the language. My Great-Grandmother lived to be 94 and I'm sure was a wealth of information for him, at least on my dad's side of the family.

One correction tho. I said he "typed" out his notes. They were neatly handwritten and in a binder. That's my project. I'm gonna type it all out when I get in the mood. smile I wanna be able to preserve them for my kids/grandkids.

TIS

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/23/14 10:33 PM

I've only seen Trapani from the top of a mountain in Erice. Trapani is famous for its salt works where the sea salt is made. It's very close to where my family lives, though.

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/23/14 10:44 PM

I've only seen Trapani from the top of a mountain in Erice. Trapani is famous for its salt works where the sea salt is made. It's very close to where my family lives, though.

I swear some of my relatives were from Erice too. confused That sure rings a bell. I thought it was my mom's side, but I checked and they are from Paceco. I'm thinking the city is mentioned somewhere in the paperwork.

Anyway, thanks for the info. smile

TIS
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/23/14 11:00 PM

My sister went on a skiing trip with our school when she was about 12-13, i don't know what city she went to but i'll ask her.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 02/24/14 01:46 AM

I've never been but I'm going for the first time ever this year with my father. It was a Christmas present that I got for him. I'm not quite sure where we're going (since this is his trip I told him to decide when and where he wanted to go). I just told him I wanted to visit the Vatican and the Colosseum when we're over there.

I got him about 9 different travel brochures so he could decide on a trip but he knows a guy from back in high school that has family over there. He said he'd go with us if we wanted and we could stay with him and his family (not a bad way to save some money). Plus he speaks the language, knows his way around, knows where to go/where not to go and we won't feel rushed like we might on a tour group. I'm VERY excited to be able to cross this off of my bucket list!
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 03/30/14 07:07 PM

Been to Sicily a few times. San Vito Lo Capo, Erice, Castellammare del Golfo, Palermo, and Catania. Been to Italy's mainland once. Sicily is far more beautiful then Italy's mainland in my honest opinion.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 03/31/14 05:01 AM

Been to Naples and Sorrento. Lovely part of the world.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 03/31/14 05:51 AM

Never been but would love to go, my g/f is going to Rome with a few friends in May and i am rather jealous.
Posted By: Dwalin2011

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 03/31/14 12:52 PM

I live in Italy, in Milan. Haven't been in the Southern regions though, except for Campania, to see Pompeii and Herculaneum.
Posted By: Meyer

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 04/17/14 04:32 PM

My wife wants to go back sometime in the next year or so, but I haven't been.

Little does she know that I want to spend some time in Sicily, expecially Castellamare del golfo.
Posted By: FriedRavioliFarts

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 04/17/14 09:46 PM

Cinque Terre was awesome. Hiked the 5 towns in one day, swam in the sea, beautiful landscape. Seafood there was phenomenal. Great pesto as well.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 04/17/14 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Been to Naples and Sorrento. Lovely part of the world.

Have heard horror stories about Naples. The garbage problem, the rats, the muggings, hostile locals......
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 04/18/14 02:24 AM

Many times. Lived there a year 1960-70/ No one should miss the experience.

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 04/18/14 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Lived there a year 1960-70/

Year, or decade? confused
Posted By: night_timer

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 06/24/14 05:50 AM

Been there three times.... Rome, Venice and Trieste. There'd be a few LCN'ers in the massive prison at Trieste. I'd say.

Probably going back to Italy next year - Venice, in time for the annual Carnival.

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 11/24/14 02:18 PM

Anyone planning a trip to Venice? Well, check your luggage first. Starting next year, the city will not allow you to tow a wheeled suitcase.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/21/travel/italy-venice-wheeled-suitcases/index.html?hpt=hp_c3
Posted By: LugsBrannigan

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 11/24/14 02:35 PM

Been to Italy 3 times, ok 1 doesn't count because we drove from Graz in Austria late one night to get pizza, just because the guy we were with had just gotten a new car for passing his driving test. The other trips were to Milan for a golf competition and then I returned there to a small town just outside called Stresa, a beautiful place on lago magiore. Amazing food, great people and places.
Posted By: Ama_Gi

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 11/24/14 02:38 PM

Went this summer, did a tour of all the major northern cities and then drove down to my families village of Mangone, in Calabria, and spent a week there. It was amazing. My father, brother and I walked down the road that my grandfather walked every morning, it was surreal.
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Who has all been to Italy? - 11/25/14 07:00 AM

Been there 4 times for soccer tournaments Enzo Ferrari Cup in Modina.

Have given Italy consideration for a place to retire at least in the summer months. But instead chose Berlin Germeny have an apartment there also have a Grandson there Handsome Henry smile and a daughter the communist Amanda smile
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET