Home

Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 01/30/14 04:36 PM

OMG!! Holy Crap!! It's really been 50 frickin' years? WTF? Where did the time go? confused lol I am so old. LOL Those in my generation will remember the excitement of that time.

I will NEVER forget it. I was in 10th grade. Perfect age to be in the middle of the hysteria. Family watched Ed Sullivan regularly and my sister & I especially were looking forward to seeing the "mop tops" from England.

The next day at school, I still remember the halls buzzing with excitement. Everyone asking everyone else, as they passed by, "did you see it?" Shortly after....Beatlemania hits; Long hair, Nero jackets, Beatle boots... Beatle everything. AND everyone wanted to go to England. LOL It really was something. Glad I was a part of it.

I also remember going to see "Hard Day's Night." Holy crap!! Could NOT hear anything due to constant screaming. lol

TIS

Posted By: klydon1

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 01/30/14 05:03 PM

I was only a fetus when they appeared on Ed Sullivan. There are several tv specials planned to commemmorate this huge event. I wish CBS would broadcast the original show in its entirety.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 01/30/14 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
I was only a fetus when they appeared on Ed Sullivan. There are several tv specials planned to commemmorate this huge event. I wish CBS would broadcast the original show in its entirety.

A fetus? OMG You young thing you. But, I'm sure you were rockin' in the womb. lol

I know CNN is having a special.

TIS
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 01/30/14 08:01 PM

Epic show and the start of Beatlemania..Seventy-three million people were reported to have watched the first show. It is still supposed to be one of the largest viewing audiences ever in the States.
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 01/31/14 06:00 AM

Part of the local lore in Southern Illinois had to do with George Harrison's visit to downstate Benton, Illinois in September 1963 to visit his sister Louise Harrison. Her husband was a mining engineer working for one of the coal mining companies that operated a mine in that region, and during a break in the Beatle's tour schedule, George actually became the first Beatle to land in the United States with that visit.

There's a ton of information on the web about that visit. Two events are frequently mentioned in those stories. He performed with a local band at a dance at a VFW hall, and he apparently bought a Rickenbacker guitar while he was here. According to the stories, George had the original finish stripped in favor of a solid black color.

If that's a Rickenbacker guitar that he's playing on the Ed Sullivan Show, it's entirely possible that it's the same guitar he bought at that downstate Illinois music store while he was visiting his sister.

tony b.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 01/31/14 06:02 PM

Cool story Tony B. I hadn't heard about the guitar but sounds reasonable that it "could" be that guitar. Btw, I knew George had a sister but didn't realize she lived in the U.S.

I regret not seeing them in person back in the day. I know they performed in Detroit at least once but sadly, I missed it. frown

TIS
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 01/31/14 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: YoTonyB

If that's a Rickenbacker guitar that he's playing on the Ed Sullivan Show, it's entirely possible that it's the same guitar he bought at that downstate Illinois music store while he was visiting his sister.

tony b.

Very cool story, but George didn't play a Rickenbacker, but John did. The Rickenbacker name is on the head stock, parallel with the neck (see John's guitar). I'm pretty sure George is playing a Gretsch.

I was in 9th grade. And yes, it was quite the buzz. We watched it...even my parents. They sure changed the musical world, but I still loved R&B more. tongue
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 01/31/14 10:37 PM

Good eye Mary....it's a 57 Gretsch Duo Jet or according to one article a Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman guitar. Not sure which or if both are the same....but it's definitely a Gretsch.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 01/31/14 10:46 PM

Wow, you guys know your guitars. I like their sound, some look cooler than others and I can get down to the rhythm but don't know brands. smile

TIS

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 01/31/14 10:54 PM

I could never play worth a damn but the 2 big electric guitars when i was growing up was the Stratocaster Hendrix used and the great classic Gibson Les Paul. Everyone wanted the Gibson Les Paul model that Jimmy Page cool played.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/01/14 03:53 PM

Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" hitting #1 on US charts, according to a report I heard. That song is as fresh today as it was then.
Posted By: SC

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/01/14 04:13 PM

Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" hitting #1 on US charts, according to a report I heard. That song is as fresh today as it was then.

Hard to believe that it's been fifty years; it seems like yesterday. I remember it well. A few weeks prior to this my cousin told me about a new group from England .... he said they "all looked like Moe" (referring to their haircuts). That was the first I heard of them.

Personally, it was a mixed time for me. I was busy studying for my bar mitzvah (which would follow on Feb 22nd) when my favorite uncle died suddenly (50 years ago today - Feb 1st). His death really crushed me but I did watch the Ed Sullivan Show the following week to see the Beatles first appearance. (I would often watch the show when I was at my uncle's house on Sunday).

A few weeks later, three nights after my bar mitzvah, heavyweight champ Sonny Liston lost his title to a brash upstart named Cassius Clay (later changed to Muhammad Ali). I taped the fight on my tape recorder (off the radio - this was LONG before videotape). It was an exciting time in history to be around.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/01/14 04:30 PM

I watched an episode of the game show "I've Got a Secret" from 1964, and in attempting to guess the contestant's secret, one of the panelists made a remark suggesting that the recently arrived Beatles were inconsequential and would fade out of memory in short time.

I bet he was wrong.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/01/14 05:06 PM

Harrison was playing a Gretsch Country Gentleman. Lennon played a six-string Rick, McCartney a Hofner bass, and Ring was playing Ludwig drums.

We were returning from our honeymoon when we heard "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" for the first time. Right away I knew things were changing. Beatlemania just took over NYC and the rest of the country. I loved it. But it took until "Rubber Soul" was released in '65 for critics to recognize that the Beatles were serious composers and musicians, not just the Moptops. "Rubber Soul," IMO, is their best--maybe the best pop album ever recorded.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/01/14 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Harrison was playing a Gretsch Country Gentleman. Lennon played a six-string Rick, McCartney a Hofner bass, and Ring was playing Ludwig drums.

We were returning from our honeymoon when we heard "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" for the first time. Right away I knew things were changing. Beatlemania just took over NYC and the rest of the country. I loved it. But it took until "Rubber Soul" was released in '65 for critics to recognize that the Beatles were serious composers and musicians, not just the Moptops. "Rubber Soul," IMO, is their best--maybe the best pop album ever recorded.

No doubt Rubber Soul is great and I think most critics would agree with you TB (Norwegian Wood, Run For Your Life, etc couple of my favorites). However in my opinion it's the White Album that I like best. Such a large selection of mostly "Great" songs.

smile

TIS
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/01/14 07:19 PM

Did anyone see the group of teenagers that were photographed by Ringo? They had cut school to try and get to the airport and see the Beatles arrival, but couldn't get near the place. After a while, they left. Driving down the road, they came up next to four limos, sure enough, it was the Beatles. Ringo asked them to roll down their window and he spoke to them and took their picture.

There were six of them back then, but I believe the driver of the car has since passed. The remaining five gathered to re-create the photo and they got to meet Ringo, who published a book called Photographs with the pictures he has taken.

http://www.today.com/entertainment/ringo-starr-reunites-mystery-beatles-fans-photograph-2D11650628

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/01/14 07:42 PM

SB,

I saw the picture when they were looking for those kids but didn't know the rest. How totally awesome. smile The one guy said he got a call from his friend in Boston saying "The Beatles are looking for you." Ha ha Music to his ears I'm sure. Talk about a Beatle story to tell. smile

TIS
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/01/14 10:16 PM

IMO Revolver is there best album.But being the Beatles freak that i am, every album is great.

Im currently working at the private residence for the elderly and while i was cleaning a guests room i noticed a original 1967 Sgt Pepper vinyl, be interesting to know the value of that..

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/02/14 03:15 AM

Great story, SB. Thanks for posting! The people in the current photo look almost as old as I do.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/02/14 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Great story, SB. Thanks for posting! The people in the current photo look almost as old as I do.

TB, didn't you have your picture taken with Irving Berlin when he had his first hit in 1911, "Alexander's Ragtime Band"? tongue

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/02/14 03:18 PM

A couple years ago I was listening to the radio. They have a "Beatle Years" show every weekend and they had an expert on album collections and what they are worth.

I don't recall what a Sgt. Pepper album was worth today but of course sealed & in mint condition brings in big bucks. Speaking of Sgt. Pepper, did you know that each Beatle picked 10 people they wanted on the cover? Two of John's picks were Jesus Christ & Adolph Hitler. Both were rejected. (This was shortly after John made the famous "Beatles are more famous than God" comment.

Also, they discussed the White Album and evidently a limited number of copies were made that had a 3 digit number (I believe in front). THOSE were worth a few thousand. I immediately check my very old White Album which had no such number.

smile

TIS

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/02/14 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas

TB, didn't you have your picture taken with Irving Berlin when he had his first hit in 1911, "Alexander's Ragtime Band"? tongue

Actually, MC, Irv and I co-wrote the song. It was originally titled, "Turnbull's Ragtime Band." But we had a squabble about the publishing rights, and he bought me out. lol
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/06/14 06:01 AM

MaryCas, Giancarlo and Turnbull each observed (quoting Turnbull)...
Quote:
Harrison was playing a Gretsch Country Gentleman. Lennon played a six-string Rick, McCartney a Hofner bass, and Ringo was playing Ludwig drums.

Good eyes!

George was never very fond of the Rickenbacker he bought in the States. From a Rickenbacker fan page maintained by Bjorn Eriksson...

George HarrisonĀ“s Rickenbacker 425
The second Beatle to get himself a Rickenbacker was George Harrison. In September 1963 he bought a Jetglo model 425, while visiting his sister Louise in Benton, Illinois. In a letter I have received from her she confirms that George bought this guitar in a music store in Mount Vernon, Illinois.

This instrument never became GeorgeĀ“s favorite. He only used it for a short time. He can be seen using the guitar in "Ready Steady Go", a TV-show broadcasted on October 4 1963 (now available on video-cassette).

And, as it turns out, that very guitar was part of a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Beatles Exhibit according to Rolling Stone Magazine.

tony b.
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/06/14 02:16 PM

I was a little young and don't remember the first appearances, but I do remember when they performed "Yesterday". My Aunt, who was 17 at the time, had about 20 of her friends over to watch it. We had one of those RCA consoles that had a large external speaker so it played really loud. It had to, with the way they were screaming at the tv. I remember them singing "Act Naturally" and "Help" too.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/06/14 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

I don't recall what a Sgt. Pepper album was worth today but of course sealed & in mint condition brings in big bucks. Speaking of Sgt. Pepper, did you know that each Beatle picked 10 people they wanted on the cover? Two of John's picks were Jesus Christ & Adolph Hitler. Both were rejected. (This was shortly after John made the famous "Beatles are more famous than God" comment.

TIS

True story. Ringo actually passed on the chance to add people to the cover, saying that whomever the other three selected were good with him. If you notice the top row of people on the cocer, there are two empty spaces, which had people, who had to be deleted. One, I believe, was one of the "Bowery Boys," who denied permission to use his likeness uless the Beatles paid him, and I forget the other.

On the back cover photo McCartney abruptly turned his back to the camera before the shot just as Harrison had done on an album cover. This fueled the rumor about Paul being dead and replaced by a Canadian.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/07/14 03:36 PM

Each night this week Letterman has a musical guest perform a musical tribute to the Beatles. Two nights ago Lenny Kravitz did an amazing version of Get Back. Last night the Flaming Lips, joined by Sean Lennon, did Lucy in the Sky, which wasn't as good. Lauryn Hill performs tonight.

Of course, Letterman is hosting the Sunday night special on the Beatles with many special guests, including Stevie Wonder, whose version of We Can Work it Out is the best Beatles cover I've heard.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/07/14 04:23 PM

Kly, thanks for the Beatle info. I didn't know that Ringo did not choose his ten (or if I knew at one time I forgot) lol

I heard about Letterman's Beatle tribute and hope it's on "On Demand" cause I can't stay awake to watch. rolleyes

In my area (well L.A. - about 30 mis from me) they have the Beatle tribute group "The Fab Four" which I saw in Vegas and was excellent. They have 3 costume changes for different stages/eras of Beatles. They go from Hard Day's night to a great version of my favorite, "Day In The Life." I'd love to see it again.

Also, FWIW, the radio played an audio clip of Beatles getting off plane at JFK airport. All the young girls singing, "We Love you Beatles...oh yes we do...." lol Silly yes but I remember those days and that excitement.

TIS

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/07/14 04:36 PM

TIS, my earliest memories of them unfortunately are around when they were breaking up. I remember in kindergarten listening to older kids debate whether John was better than Paul. Of course, all of the girls liked Paul.

I graduated kindergarten in June, 1969, and one of the songs that we sang at our program was "Yellow Submarine."

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/07/14 04:46 PM

TIS, my earliest memories of them unfortunately are around when they were breaking up. I remember in kindergarten listening to older kids debate whether John was better than Paul. Of course, all of the girls liked Paul.

I graduated kindergarten in June, 1969, and one of the songs that we sang at our program was "Yellow Submarine."

Kly, you are just a spring chicken. You youngster you!! wink

Honestly, Yellow Submarine is one of my least favorite Beatle song of which there are only a few. They had Beatle cartoon show also, by the way. I can't recall if Yellow Submarine was the title or not.

Paul was always labeled the cute one. I gotta say tho, between him and Ringo, Ringo seems to be aging better IMHO.

When I was in NY a few years ago, I was walking in Central Park by the "Strawberry Fields" Beatle tribute area and coincidentally a teacher with a class of high school choir students came and entertained people by singing a few Beatle songs. Right place, right time I guess. smile

TIS

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/07/14 05:03 PM

Like you, I'm not a fan of Yellow Submarine...or Octopus' Garden. I guess the teacher picked Yellow Submarine because she couldn't very well have the four and five year-olds stand before their families and sing "Why Don't We Do it in the Road."

I have a colleague who did a will for an aging gentleman, who wanted to establish the Beatles' songs to be played at his funeral service: The Long and Winding Road, Let it Be, Strawberry Fields Forever, In My Life, and the closing song of Hey Jude.

The attorney contacted the church before having the will signed, and was told that secular songs- no matter how good- could not be incorporated into a church service. The attorney told his client, who said that would be no problem and he would revise his copy of the will and meet with the lawyer the next day.

The following day he arrived and showed his revision, which merely consisted of the following:

I hereby direct that my funeral service shall not be a church service, and that it shall proceed as described below."

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/07/14 05:15 PM

Ha ha, well, to each his own. On the other hand, it might be quite uplifting ending with everyone singing Hey Jude at the end. "Na na na, na na na na, na na na na Hey Jude." It would be a first for many I'm sure. smile

Btw, I'm with you on Octopus Garden as well. Not that they don't sing it well, just not my cup of tea I guess.

TIS

Btw, here's a couple YouTubes of the tribute band I spoke of. They are really good. Skim thru if you want to, each video has several songs. smile

Oh, and for you guitar experts, check out the guitars in Sgt. Pepper. Don't know if they are duplicates of ones Beatle used or not but fit the Sgt. Pepper theme. smile

For your listening pleasure.

Part 1

2nd part (FYI, Day in the Life is at about 10)

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/08/14 05:02 PM

They are good, especially the Sgt. Pepper era Harrison.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/10/14 02:52 AM

As he has gotten older Mitch Albom has become more definite in his likes/dislikes and more condescending towards those who do not share them. I like some of the Beatles music but I would never try to argue seriously that any group is the best as Albom does in his piece. If he wants to argue that he liked the Beatles the best or they had the most influence on him that's a different kettle of fish. Music enjoyment is thoroughly subjective. By Albom's own admission there are huge swaths of music, even pop music, that he doesn't know anything about or doesn't like.

For the most part people tend to think that the music around when they were young and/or discovered the opposite sex is always better than the "garbage" that kids listen to today. Just human nature.. lol rolleyes

Why The Beatles Are The Best
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/10/14 05:30 AM

So, did anyone watch the Beatles tribute special Sunday night on CBS?

I gave it a 9.8 out of 10. Some marvelous music.

Opinions, anyone?

Signor V.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/10/14 02:58 PM

I recorded it but haven't watched it yet. It was really good? Glad to hear that.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/10/14 03:08 PM

I watched it up to McCartney and Starr (fell asleep), up til then, good stuff. Nice pace, mix of music and performers. A little odd having LL Cool J as part-time MC, although he is pretty good. In typical network TV style as the show goes on, too many commercials and they get longer. I can't believe people were knocking Katy Perry for changing the gender of the lyrics for "Yesterday".

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/10/14 06:38 PM

I watched the show and enjoyed most of the performances. I would have liked a little more history and commentary (especially Letterman's interview with Paul and Ringo), but I understand the need to include the younger musicians.

I don't mind Katy Perry changing the gender of the lyrics (everybody does it) for Yesterday, the most recorded song in history. But I did find fault in her performace as it was the most overdramatic version of the song I ever heard. The song itself is a classic and deserves to be highlighted, but I got the impression that her performance was more about her than the song.

Ringo did a great job, but I was reminded of Lennon's reply when asked if he had any regreets in his career: "When I said, 'Hey, Paul, let's let Ringo sing one."

I was also glad to see Dhani Harrison perform on Something. George was further honored by having two of his other songs showcased. While My Guitar Gently Weeps, I thought, was the best cover of the night.

Finally I couldn't escape the thought of how wonderful the night would have been, if Lennon and Harrison were still with us. Particularly it is frustrating still to think that someone like Chapman can deprive the world of John Lennon on a whim.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/10/14 06:46 PM

I am so sorry I missed it but I had to watch The Walking Dead. What was the exact title of the show? I'll see if it's On-Demand,

I heard about the beating Katy Perry is taking over Yesterday and I don't get the anger? I only heard clip of her performance on-line and didn't think she sounded bad at all.

I hope I can catch it! smile

TIS
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/10/14 07:50 PM

I didn't care for Katy Perry's version of Yesterday. Not because of the gender change, but because of her performance in general. I would use the word "overwrought".

I also didn't care for Alicia Keys' part of the Let It Be duet, for similar reasons.

The other thing I didn't care for was the way the two numbers featuring the Cirque du Soleil performers was photographed. Particularly the last number at the end. It could have been an incredible visual moment, but it looked to me as if the director didn't really give a damn.

That said, the rest of the show was impressive, musically. Joe Walsh was great. So were a lot of the others.

I don't recall seeing John Lennon's sons in the audience, though Yoko was prominently featured in the first row. Thought that was a little odd, unless I missed something.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show. If it were a half-hour longer, I wouldn't have minded.

Signor V.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/10/14 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
I didn't care for Katy Perry's version of Yesterday. Not because of the gender change, but because of her performance in general. I would use the word "overwrought".

I also didn't care for Alicia Keys' part of the Let It Be duet, for similar reasons.

The other thing I didn't care for was the way the two numbers featuring the Cirque du Soleil performers was photographed. Particularly the last number at the end. It could have been an incredible visual moment, but it looked to me as if the director didn't really give a damn.

That said, the rest of the show was impressive, musically. Joe Walsh was great. So were a lot of the others.

I don't recall seeing John Lennon's sons in the audience, though Yoko was prominently featured in the first row. Thought that was a little odd, unless I missed something.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show. If it were a half-hour longer, I wouldn't have minded.

Signor V.

Brilliant minds think alike. Right on with Katy and Alicia. The Cirque stuff didn't fit...like clip art.

Sean Lennon was shown a couple of times. Long hair, beard and glasses. Quick shots.
Posted By: Cajunwhodat

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/11/14 06:19 AM

Man do i love all music.....These guys were awesome i wasn't born hahahaha

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/11/14 03:50 PM

Another great performance was Annie Lennox singing "The Fool on the Hill. The song always reminds me when I was in grade school and a high school junior from the neighborhood was performing in a school talent show and decided to sing that song. He was absolutely dreadful, and to this day we all remember the performance as "The Fool on the Stage."

I was glad Dave Grohl picked a lesser known song in "Hey, Bulldog." Some outstanding Beatles' songs that don't get played enough are "And Your Bird Can Sing," "I'm Looking Through You," and "Happiness is a Warm Gun."

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't care for Katy Perry, and I agree with SV that Alicia Keys disappointed me.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/11/14 04:04 PM

I was glad Dave Grohl picked a lesser known song in "Hey, Bulldog." Some outstanding Beatles' songs that don't get played enough are "And Your Bird Can Sing," "I'm Looking Through You," and "Happiness is a Warm Gun."

"Happiness is a Warm Gun"...love that song. One of Lennon's on The White Album. "Yer Blues"....another good one by Lennon along with "I'm so Tired"....all on the White Album.
Posted By: barry

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/20/14 05:01 PM

what's wrong with LL ...
Posted By: barry

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/20/14 05:04 PM

THEY WERE WACK ... JAMES BROWN MADE MICK JAGGER THROW UP , he was so nervous when he seen him perform... mcartney worships him

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/21/14 03:51 PM

I visited my parents on President's Day, and we talked about the 50th anniversary special. I asked them about what they thought when they watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan fifty years ago. I knew that they had watched it on tv, but I was startled to learn that they spent that weekend in New York City visiting friends. My mom was pregnant with me and had my toddler brothers in tow. They all did some sightseeing Sunday morning and saw the long lines in front of the theatre that morning.

They were home in PA before the show started.
Posted By: SC

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/21/14 04:20 PM

Cool story, klyd.

Re: Beatles - Ed Sullivan - 50 Years ago - 02/21/14 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
Cool story, klyd.

I also only recently found out that my uncle, who attended law school in Philadelphia in the early-mid 70s got to shake hands with John Lennon and Yoko Ono when they were weekly co-hosts on the Mike Douglas Show, I believe. He tried to get tickets but they were all distributed, so Lennon and Yoko came out to talk to those who wouldn't see the show.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET