Home

Christie and The GW Bridge

Posted By: dontomasso

Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 05:08 PM

Ok, I get it. Two days ago it was Gates trashing everyone on the planet. Now it is wall to wall Christie and his so-called bullying personality. I am so sick and tired of the media circus, I am readdy to disconnect my cable television, sign on to netflix and read The Economist once a month. It will save a fortune and put things in perspective.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 05:44 PM

Impossible for me to believe that Christie didn't know about it, and approve it, given that his deputy chief of staff ordered it. This'll blow over--unless she strikes back and tells the media that he ordered it or approved it. Then it'll get really ugly.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 06:08 PM

Liberals are praying this knocks Christie out for '16 because he's the only potential GOP candidate that I could actually see winning. I've called him the Anti-Romney before, quick on his feet and with wit, some good timing instincts.

But I don't think that currently this will kill his political career. Bubba was associated-but-not-directly-connected to alot of bullshit in his day.

However I could see Christie get nailed not for this bridge stuff but for anything else he might've done in NJ. Remember that Romney didn't pick Christie as his running mate in '12 because of alot of unanswered questions in his gubernatorial administration that Christie refused to explain or defend. Maybe that sewage will bubble to the top now that everybody is worried about traffic in Jersey?
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 06:17 PM

If he did know of it, which I have trouble believing a man like him didn't, then he deserves to be skewered. EMS workers were delayed getting to a woman and she died. It wasn't just the fact that they played with people's schedules, people were late to work and were docked pay, but someone died.

I appreciate that he went to Fort Lee and apologized to the mayor. Whatever else you can say about him, he manned up.
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 06:24 PM

I don't think this will damage Christie too bad. In two years this will blow over. From what it sounds like he did man up and try to smooth it out.

I am a huge fan of Christie as most of you know. It will be interesting and nothing is set in stone but if he gets the GOP nomination for 16 he's got my vote. Unless the Democrats have someone better, which right now I don't know who that would be, then I couldn't see myself voting for anyone else.
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 06:27 PM

You're either built for the national spotlight or you're not.

Christie is a very media savvy and personable guy and I think he MIGHT be able to use this challenge as an opportunity.

There have been master politicians who were for all accounts dead to rights after this scandal or that scandal who didn't go away.

This is a make or break moment for Christie's national aspirations. Whether the rest of the country cares about this issue remains to be seen.....but it's looking very bad for him right now in the tri state area.

My friends from out of state are STILL making fun of me with Jim McGreevy jokes, so I can't wait to hear the jokes about this case.

the bridge is over......the bridge is over ..eh eh...*

*old school rap song chorus
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
I don't think this will damage Christie too bad. In two years this will blow over. From what it sounds like he did man up and try to smooth it out.

I am a huge fan of Christie as most of you know. It will be interesting and nothing is set in stone but if he gets the GOP nomination for 16 he's got my vote. Unless the Democrats have someone better, which right now I don't know who that would be, then I couldn't see myself voting for anyone else.

I wouldnt really describe myself as a big supporter of the republican party(or the democratic party for that matter) but im also a huge christie fan and i think this will have very little if any impact on his chances for running for president. Not to many people really give a shit about this but for some reason the media is putting it on blast...comparing this to watergate what a joke.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 06:38 PM

That's what I think. Inferior thinkers have overcome bigger obstacles. But here's the beauty of the 24 hour media today: If he lied, it'll come out. And throwing two employees under the bus will hurt him badly.

But guess what? If he's telling the truth, he might become more popular than he was before because he manned up.

One thing is clear. The way the Left is foaming at the mouth tells me one thing: They want no part of a Clinton-Christie race. And here's the really silly part: He might have the votes to beat Hillary head-to-head, but not to win the nomination in his own party because the Tea Baggers may try to ruin it for him rolleyes.

But it's enough already. The first caucus is two full years away.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Impossible for me to believe that Christie didn't know about it, and approve it, given that his deputy chief of staff ordered it. This'll blow over--unless she strikes back and tells the media that he ordered it or approved it. Then it'll get really ugly.

Exactly. It is undeniable that the traffic ruses were concocted by the people, who have for years worked closest to Christie, and that it was done vindictively for political revenge. Moreover, that an act so disgustingly despicable was so cavalierly carried out with sniggering emails reveals a sick bullying and belligerent attitude within the governor's office, of which Christie can't now claim he was completely unaware.

I liked Christie and thought he was more of a thinking Republican, unlike the candidates shaped by evangelicals, Rove and the Koch Brothers, but I was dismayed that his most damning condemnation of his closest aides was that they lied to him, rather than exacting political revenge on a mayor, who wouldn't support him. He downplayed the effect and inconvenience caused by the days of endless traffic jams intentionally created from his office.

Moreover, weeks ago when he learned that there were accusations of this plan to paralyze Fort Lee, he indignantly and falsely claimed that the lanes were closed, pursuant to a traffic study. Before announcing this falsehood if he truly were being misled, he would have at the very least confirmed that such a traffic study existed and learned what role the closing of the traffic lanes had in such a study.

As for the effect this will have on a presidential bid, who knows. But the story will not be dead. There will be legal action and an investigation, which will last into the campaign years. He'll have to wear that albatross into the primaries.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 08:28 PM

the people who have stepped down are going to fall on their swords.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 08:47 PM

"going to be a tough November for the little Serbian"?

wow..........only in Jersey would politicians refer to the ethnicity of a rival in email exchanges..........and ,of course, get it wrong. Mayor of Fort Lee is of Croatian heritage.

This part of the story is being downplayed.

can you imagine if the mayor was Black or Jewish and was referred to as the "little "?

I don't know when Jay Leno officially retires but this entire story is comedy gold for his monologues.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: getthesenets
can you imagine if the mayor was Black or Jewish and was referred to as the "little"?

Or an Asian male, what with the little weenie jokes and everything?

Now Leno would have a ball with that one lol.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
can you imagine if the mayor was Black or Jewish and was referred to as the "little"?

Or an Asian male, what with the little weenie jokes and everything?

Now Leno would have a ball with that one lol.

hey ,i see what you did there.....hilarious

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 08:59 PM

lol lol lol
Posted By: olivant

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1

Exactly. It is undeniable that the traffic ruses were concocted by the people, who have for years worked closest to Christie, and that it was done vindictively for political revenge.

Kly and DT: a civil suit has already been filed. How far reaching can discovery be? One intent of the civil suit will be to determine if sovereign immunity applies. But only discovery can determine that, right?

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/10/14 09:13 PM

Come on why is the left making this into friggin Watergate? Was it a mistake on Christies part? Yes. Is there any evidence to support he ordered the shut down of a bridge? So far no and I'm inclined to believe he didn't.
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 06:23 AM

...weeks ago when he learned that there were accusations of this plan to paralyze Fort Lee, he indignantly and falsely claimed that the lanes were closed, pursuant to a traffic study. Before announcing this falsehood if he truly were being misled, he would have at the very least confirmed that such a traffic study existed and learned what role the closing of the traffic lanes had in such a study.

There you go. That shows he is a liar. Otherwise, with his way of talking to people, he should've said to his staff: "Dummies, I already know the result of this study, when you close down lanes, traffic backs up. Have some sense and save taxpayers time and money!"

At any rate, Christie would not have gotten the nomination of GOP anyway. GOP's type is someone like Palin really. grin The best they can do is Ryan.
Posted By: SC

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 06:40 AM

Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
At any rate, Christie would not have gotten the nomination of GOP anyway. GOP's type is someone like Palin really.

I'm not so sure that is still true. I think they're getting away from the Tea Party image and I think Christie is still their best hope.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 07:06 AM

...weeks ago when he learned that there were accusations of this plan to paralyze Fort Lee, he indignantly and falsely claimed that the lanes were closed, pursuant to a traffic study. Before announcing this falsehood if he truly were being misled, he would have at the very least confirmed that such a traffic study existed and learned what role the closing of the traffic lanes had in such a study.

There you go. That shows he is a liar. Otherwise, with his way of talking to people, he should've said to his staff: "Dummies, I already know the result of this study, when you close down lanes, traffic backs up. Have some sense and save taxpayers time and money!"

At any rate, Christie would not have gotten the nomination of GOP anyway. GOP's type is someone like Palin really. grin The best they can do is Ryan.

You're just going to outright call him a liar? There's no proof he is so I would withdraw that statement.

I personally agree with SC, the GOP is starting to realize the tea party hurts more than it helps and a charismatic figure like Christie would make a lot of headway in the 16 election

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 07:12 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
I'm not so sure that is still true. I think they're getting away from the Tea Party image and I think Christie is still their best hope.

That might be true, but he still wouldn't win the Southern states. He is too rude for their taste. He is also pro choice.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 07:18 AM

You're just going to outright call him a liar? There's no proof he is so I would withdraw that statement.

I think I did. If he isn't a liar and that is too far fetched, then he is very incompetent for the reason I mentioned that who would see the situation and not question such a stupid study in the first place. It's exactly the kind of underhanded way GOP operates, not caring who gets hurt as long as they make the other side look bad.
Posted By: NinoSconza

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant

Exactly. It is undeniable that the traffic ruses were concocted by the people, who have for years worked closest to Christie, and that it was done vindictively for political revenge.

Kly and DT: a civil suit has already been filed. How far reaching can discovery be? One intent of the civil suit will be to determine if sovereign immunity applies. But only discovery can determine that, right?

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Liberals are praying this knocks Christie out for '16 because he's the only potential GOP candidate that I could actually see winning. I've called him the Anti-Romney before, quick on his feet and with wit, some good timing instincts.

But I don't think that currently this will kill his political career. Bubba was associated-but-not-directly-connected to alot of bullshit in his day.

However I could see Christie get nailed not for this bridge stuff but for anything else he might've done in NJ. Remember that Romney didn't pick Christie as his running mate in '12 because of alot of unanswered questions in his gubernatorial administration that Christie refused to explain or defend. Maybe that sewage will bubble to the top now that everybody is worried about traffic in Jersey?

Your right about good ol Bubba. They wanted him to be president but he had skeletons in the closet and some other conservatoires they had to make go away before he good run. I miss bubba he was a good president
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 02:34 PM

Watergate, Bridgegate. Nixon lied.....resigned. Christie (did he lie?)...bullies don't resign.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 02:49 PM

That might be true, but he still wouldn't win the Southern states. He is too rude for their taste. He is also pro choice.
Keep in mind that most southern states are now heavily inhabited by Yankees who were driven out of the north by high taxes Etc. Christie was a US Attorney and I don't think he's stupid enough to pull a stunt like that. Just my opinion And don't forget, if he's running against hillery, there will be a lot of dirty tricks coming down the pike and this will be coming up more

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 03:35 PM

True. Discovery could be a lengthy process, and will not be limited to communications, documents and testimony directly related to this incident. While discovery has to have some perimeters and can't be solely a fishing expedition, the plaintiffs will be entitled to obtain discovery to establish a systemic pattern of abuse within the office. There will be some responses to certain discovery that claim executive privilege, but I don't think that the state will attempt to bar a class action suit on soverign immunity. By doing so, my guess is that it will cause additional political problems for Christie. But like Romney refusing to release relevant tax returns, if the damage created by releasing discovery exceeds the potential credibility damage in not releasing them, the state may claim soverign immunity. It can't stop litigation against individual office holders in this situation though.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 03:39 PM

Christie will have big problems among Republicans in the midwest and south.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 05:21 PM

I think I did. If he isn't a liar and that is too far fetched, then he is very incompetent for the reason I mentioned that who would see the situation and not question such a stupid study in the first place. It's exactly the kind of underhanded way GOP operates, not caring who gets hurt as long as they make the other side look bad.

Not caring who gets hurt as long as the other side looks bad? Oh yeah because liberals don't do that at all rolleyes

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Watergate, Bridgegate. Nixon lied.....resigned. Christie (did he lie?)...bullies don't resign.

Yet another baby boomer lib who wants to compare this to watergate. Good grief

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 08:47 PM

You are incredibly astute to characterize me as a baby boomer lib. Your instincts are razor sharp, but your grasp of tongue in cheek irony needs a little work.

BTW, afs, I don't buy that "traffic study" baloney either. If it was true, that would have to be the dumbest traffic study of all time and the responsible members of the Port Authority staff should have been fired for incompetence, gross negligence and reckless endangerment.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 09:26 PM

You are incredibly astute to characterize me as a baby boomer lib. Your instincts are razor sharp, but your grasp of tongue in cheek irony needs a little work.

BTW, afs, I don't buy that "traffic study" baloney either. If it was true, that would have to be the dumbest traffic study of all time and the responsible members of the Port Authority staff should have been fired for incompetence, gross negligence and reckless endangerment.

If I spoke too soon please correct me, I do believe you are a boomer are you not?

It is only my opinion you were too quick to damn Christie and compare his situation with that of Nixon, which you cannot equal there significance. Christie will rebound from this

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/11/14 09:53 PM

Although I don't speak for MC, I think he was telling you that he was poking fun, speaking tongue in cheek to a certain extent.

I have to go with Afs on this one, as far as believing that Christie is lying. Everything about his personality shows me that he IS a micro-manager, and I find it hard to believe that he would give that kind of authority to his staff, the authority to shut down major traffic routes.

That doesn't make it a GOP exclusive. Every politician lies and covers up. It's in their blood, I swear.

As for his nomination in 2016, he, like Giuliani, suffers from being a little bit too New York (and I say that because the nation perceives the tristate area in that regard), a bit too outspoken, a bit too abrasive. However, he doesn't have the morality issues that Giuliani had - the crazy marriages, the girlfriend, the split with the Church and so on. I was always sorry that Giuliani didn't run for Governor after September 11th. He would have been a shoe-in, and we would have been spared that pig Spitzer.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 03:35 AM

Come on why is the left making this into friggin Watergate? Was it a mistake on Christies part? Yes. Is there any evidence to support he ordered the shut down of a bridge? So far no and I'm inclined to believe he didn't.

Its interesting how both scandals have one thing in common: Both had incriminating evidence that surprisingly the responsible parties didn't erase or destroy, whether tapes or e-mails.

Remember that what killed Nixon wasn't the Watergate break-in as much as the cover-up and Nixon claiming to everybody (including several of his aides) that he never knew about the break-in or approved of it...until it came out that he was lying on both. Christie laid down the law, made his claim the other day on what's happening. If new dirt shoots holes in his story, then he's in trouble.

Anyway while you're naive and take his word for it, there's no direct evidence so far connecting the Governor to this delay. Is it a fair assumption that he knew what was going on and gave tacit approval to such a move? Yes. But that's not the same as evidence.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 03:55 AM

Its interesting how both scandals have one thing in common: Both had incriminating evidence that surprisingly the responsible parties didn't erase or destroy, whether tapes or e-mails.

Remember that what killed Nixon wasn't the Watergate break-in as much as the cover-up and Nixon claiming to everybody (including several of his aides) that he never knew about the break-in or approved of it...until it came out that he was lying on both. Christie laid down the law, made his claim the other day on what's happening. If new dirt shoots holes in his story, then he's in trouble.

Anyway while you're naive and take his word for it, there's no direct evidence so far connecting the Governor to this delay. Is it a fair assumption that he knew what was going on and gave tacit approval to such a move? Yes. But that's not the same as evidence.

First my apologies MaryCas, I misinterpreted your post and sorry if I was rude.

Ronnie perhaps I'm a bit naïve in thinking Christie didn't have anything to do with this? Maybe. So far I'm inclined to believe it was his staff and not him. But it's not because I'm some extreme right winger I truly believe that Christie is the right type of man we need in the Oval Office and I'd hate to see such a politically savvy, smart man lose that chance.

In addition the left knows that if they trash this guy enough they take out one of the more challenging front runners for the GOP bid.
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 04:00 AM

fat white guy= liar!

skinny black guy/kenyan/hawaiian/???= pinocchio wink

yuk, yuk, yuk! confused

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 05:21 PM

Remains to be seen. There is an undeniably startling comparison, however, in that you have an incumbent administration with a seemingly insurmountable lead against his opponent, and whose operatives engage in underhanded, abusive conduct for political motives. There was much more of a buffer zone between the Watergate burglars and Nixon than that between Christie and his bullying aides.

We found out that when this ruse was put into play in September, it generated a great deal of discussion, concern and anger among more than a few officials. The communications were specifically presented to Christie's scheduling sacretary, which greatly broadens the leap in logic one must take to believe that he was "blindsided" last week.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 05:26 PM

Christie's Deputy Chief of Staff Bridget Anne Kelly is probably going to face criminal indictment. Thus, she will be in a position to be offered immunity or a plea bargain that will likely implicate others. The Governor could be one of those others.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 05:35 PM

Christie's Deputy Chief of Staff Bridget Anne Kelly is probably going to face criminal indictment. Thus, she will be in a position to be offered immunity or a plea bargain that will likely implicate others. The Governor could be one of those others.

The introduction of criminal charges, especially federal charges, will change the complexion of this scandal a great deal, and would make it a central isuue through the presidential campaign season.

Kelly, I'm sure, has secured counsel, and has been advised not to have any contact with anyone. She may receive limited immunity in exchange for making a sworn statement about how this happened and who knew what and when.

Scooter Libby could probably give some good advice.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 05:40 PM

Being Deputy Chief of Staff, Kelly seems the most likely to get immunity. However, can they give immunity to others as well, or does the first one to "spill the beans" get best deal (as it would seem?) confused

TIS

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 06:09 PM

Immunity is generally based on the value of the information to the prosecution and whether it can be obtained through other means or sources. The value of the information takes into account the credibility and ability and means to know. The gravity of the offense of the witness and potential other criminals is also weighed.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 06:58 PM

Immunity is generally based on the value of the information to the prosecution and whether it can be obtained through other means or sources. The value of the information takes into account the credibility and ability and means to know. The gravity of the offense of the witness and potential other criminals is also weighed.

Kly, Kelly either implicates Christie or she doesn't. If she does, even if no criminal or civil liability accrues to Christie, Kelly's implication will tag Christie in a very negative way.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 07:11 PM

Another thing I learned, that the State Attorney General(?) was to switch over to the new AJ on Tuesday and subpoena power for current AJ ended on that day. Evidently the new AJ said he'd have meeting to extend it. Would there really be any chance that a new AJ would NOT extend it? Wouldn't look good if he didn't no? So many legal issues. confused No wonder lawyers get paid an arm, a leg & a first born. wink

TIS

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 07:26 PM

Meanwhile, as you can imagine, jokes are running rampant on the web. Here's one of the milder ones.
smile

TIS

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Another thing I learned, that the State Attorney General(?) was to switch over to the new AJ on Tuesday and subpoena power for current AJ ended on that day. Evidently the new AJ said he'd have meeting to extend it. Would there really be any chance that a new AJ would NOT extend it? Wouldn't look good if he didn't no? So many legal issues. confused No wonder lawyers get paid an arm, a leg & a first born. wink

TIS

Since the NJ AG is appointed by the Governor, there is a question of an extension. However, I'm not sure that that limits the NJ Legislature's investigation.
Posted By: NinoSconza

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 10:03 PM

Did they have to in stall an XL Toilet at the Governors Mansion for CC

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/12/14 10:05 PM

Jon Stewart had a good joke about this. Yes, Christie's aides have been thrown under the bus, but it's OK because the bus isn't moving - it's stuck in traffic.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 12:39 AM

Water off a ducks back. We're cool. This is an interesting thread in that we are all speculating. There is a lot of dirt yet to be uncovered and many angles to explore. Many more twists and turns to maneuver. It's the stuff TV crime dramas are made of. cool

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 03:30 AM

Water off a ducks back. We're cool. This is an interesting thread in that we are all speculating. There is a lot of dirt yet to be uncovered and many angles to explore. Many more twists and turns to maneuver. It's the stuff TV crime dramas are made of. cool

Can't say I'm a fan of those shows lol in any case I hope Christie isn't implicated in anything which I still say he won't. He's not only the only GOP candidate worthy of the nomination but in general maybe besides a select few others. I just feel he's a man that could really turn this country around
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 01:23 PM

Christie has a new headache this morning:

Feds investigating Christie's use of Sandy relief funds

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 01:31 PM

I can't help but think of the old joke:

What's the difference between New Jersey government and organized crime? - one is organized.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 01:33 PM

New Jersey and its governors still have a long way to catch up with Illinois. 4 of their last 7 governors are in prison.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 04:25 PM

You are correct JL, but still a traffic jam (even if it was intentional) a big scandal in Jersey? As Hyman Roth would say, thats "small potatoes."

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
You are correct JL, but still a traffic jam (even if it was intentional) a big scandal in Jersey? As Hyman Roth would say, thats "small potatoes."

What makes it big is the attention from the New York City (metropolitan area) media. The New York State governor is a Democrat and the recently elected mayor of NYC is a Democrat. That can add a little zing to the circus. Bridgegate will be a headline for a long time. It will probably produce some spin-offs too, just like a successful TV comedy.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 06:16 PM

Two aspects of the Bridge lanes' closing that have not received much attention are:

New Jersey Law enforcement was not notified and no provision was made for transit of emergency vehicles;

Christie's judgement: i.e., his appointment of the incident's protagonist - Kelly.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Lou

I didn't think much of the bridge scandal, other than it was a typical crappy thing a politician would do. But this allegation of diverting the Sandy funds, if true, might cause me to reconsider voting for Christie. I have not voted for a conservative president, but I had been favoring voting for Christie in '16. The past two presidencies of Bush & Obama have been utter disasters.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 06:37 PM

If Christie's dismissed aide sits still for this rap, it'll be the end of her career--and she's too young for that. She'll have to put up a defense, and shift the blame to Christie. I bet the tabloids are all over her now with offers. If she does, it could derail him.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 07:29 PM

If Christie's dismissed aide sits still for this rap, it'll be the end of her career--and she's too young for that. She'll have to put up a defense, and shift the blame to Christie. I bet the tabloids are all over her now with offers. If she does, it could derail him.

Rand Paul is licking his chops. So are a slew of "unknown" Democrats who will run against Hillary.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 07:41 PM

Rand Paul is licking his chops. So are a slew of "unknown" Democrats who will run against Hillary.

On her show last friday, Laura Ingrahm criticized MCCain, Lindsey Graham, and the Bushs among other Republicans for their criticism of Christie. The split in the Republican party is real.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 08:10 PM

Impeccable timing, eh?

I mean I don't know whether there is actually a case or not, but with this convenient timing, it just feels like the Obama Administration wanted to pour more salt into Christie's wound while its fresh. Reminds me of when during the "invisible primary" (the period after an election but before the primaries for the next national election) in 2011 when Romney was getting pounded for "RomneyCare" and the President thanked him in name for being a father of ObamaCare.

Posted By: ht2

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 08:15 PM

The latest is that the Obama Administration approved the ads..

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/13/christie-office-obama-administration-approved-jersey-shore-tv-ads/

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 08:27 PM

I'm baffled when I come across liberals online who think Hillary will win the nomination easily in a slam dunk. Remember when she was simmilarly "unstoppable" in '08 before that black freshman Senator with a foreign name beat her? Sure this time she'll hire better political operatives (probably Obama's guys/gals) and she's not hamstrung by stuff like Iraq as she was in '08. But she's not invincible.

I think more than anything else, they're forgetting about the one big obstacle in her way: The Vice-President. After we've had 2-term completed administrations within the primary era of American politics, their Vice-Presidents have run for President, all winning their party's nomination.

Joe Biden previously ran 2 unsuccessful Presidential campaigns. You all really think he'll refuse to take advantage of his last, best chance at becoming President himself? I would be shocked if he doesn't run.(Notice that Hillary sometime back politely sniped at Biden for being against the President's decision to greenlight that raid which killed Bin Laden. She thinks he's running too.)

Still it would be interesting to see how the President would deal with this hypothetical primary. Both members of his administration, though one actually served both terms and Biden as VPs usually are has been a loyal hatchetman. Biden would expect Obama's support, but Hillary is a (theoretically) a much better candidate than Biden.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/13/14 08:37 PM

I'm baffled when I come across liberals online who think Hillary will win the nomination easily in a slam dunk. Remember when she was simmilarly "unstoppable" in '08 before that black freshman Senator with a foreign name beat her? Sure this time she'll hire better political operatives (probably Obama's guys/gals) and she's not hamstrung by stuff like Iraq as she was in '08. But she's not invincible.

I think more than anything else, they're forgetting about the one big obstacle in her way: The Vice-President. After we've had 2-term completed administrations within the primary era of American politics, their Vice-Presidents have run for President, all winning their party's nomination.

Joe Biden previously ran 2 unsuccessful Presidential campaigns. You all really think he'll refuse to take advantage of his last, best chance at becoming President himself? I would be shocked if he doesn't run.(Notice that Hillary sometime back politely sniped at Biden for being against the President's decision to greenlight that raid which killed Bin Laden. She thinks he's running too.)

Still it would be interesting to see how the President would deal with this hypothetical primary. Both members of his administration, though one actually served both terms and Biden as VPs usually are has been a loyal hatchetman. Biden would expect Obama's support, but Hillary is a (theoretically) a much better candidate than Biden.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/15/14 07:02 PM

Ok, you gotta admit this is hilarious. Jimmy Fallon with Bruce Springsteen. I continue to be amazed at how good Fallon is at impersonations.

Anyway, this is great: lol lol

TIS

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/15/14 08:02 PM

Fantastic!

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/15/14 09:43 PM

[

Did you read this somewhere or arrive at the conclusion yourself?

the very last scenario which you described disproves what you're saying.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/16/14 05:40 PM

I dont think Biden would beat Hilary, and I do not think she is by any means a slam dunk. All you have to do is go back to 2008 when Obama came out of nowhere and cleaned her clock. Truth is she is a terrible campaigner, and she could lose the nominatioon and/or the general election. Personally I think Bill is more interested in her getting the job than she is. Like her or not, she has put in her entire adult life in public service..from the Watergate committee, to First Lady of Arkansas, to Firt Lady of the U.S. to United States Senator, to Presidential candidate to Secretary of State. She has every right to sit back and smell the flowers.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/16/14 05:52 PM

I dont think Biden would beat Hilary, and I do not think she is by any means a slam dunk. All you have to do is go back to 2008 when Obama came out of nowhere and cleaned her clock. Truth is she is a terrible campaigner, and she could lose the nominatioon and/or the general election. Personally I think Bill is more interested in her getting the job than she is. Like her or not, she has put in her entire adult life in public service..from the Watergate committee, to First Lady of Arkansas, to Firt Lady of the U.S. to United States Senator, to Presidential candidate to Secretary of State. She has every right to sit back and smell the flowers.

I recently had the same discussion - Hillary is an awful campaigner. Especially considering that she is married to one of the best campaigners of the past 30 years. Plus she is getting old and will have a tough time convincing some voters because of her age.

Biden is in much the same position Al Gore was in heading into 2000. Gore was trying to distance himself from the Clinton affair scandal, which is not as bad as Biden trying to get out from the poor presidency of Obama. Gore was a vanilla personality and didn't use Clinton enough IMO, but Biden is going to be associated with many of the failures of his boss' term, from health care to Benghazi.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/16/14 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: goombah

I recently had the same discussion - Hillary is an awful campaigner. Especially considering that she is married to one of the best campaigners of the past 30 years. Plus she is getting old and will have a tough time convincing some voters because of her age.

Biden is in much the same position Al Gore was in heading into 2000. Gore was trying to distance himself from the Clinton affair scandal, which is not as bad as Biden trying to get out from the poor presidency of Obama. Gore was a vanilla personality and didn't use Clinton enough IMO, but Biden is going to be associated with many of the failures of his boss' term, from health care to Benghazi.

Both rational posts. I agree a hundred percent.

Welcome back, Goom. Go Browns! lol lol

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/16/14 05:58 PM

s Senator, to Presidential candidate to Secretary of State. She has every right to sit back and smell the flowers.

many of the failures of his boss' term, from health care to Benghazi. [/quote]

I am not prepared to call these "failures." Benghazi was a failure by the CIA Militaty and State Dept. But it was only four deaths (not like 9/11 which was a real security failure) he Benghazi thing is mostly a right wing hatchet job. As for health care, the jury is out. No way wil there ever be "pre-existing conditions" exist, nor will lifetime caps on expenditures. They wont get 7 million by March but if they get 5 and there is some tweaking, healthcare is going to work out.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/16/14 06:19 PM

I remember in 08 one of the drawbacks to McCain before he picked Palin and made a number of other mistakes was his age which was 72 at the time. Hilary will be 68 when this next election rolls around and it will work against her. Throw in the fact she's not the greatest campaigner it's tougher than everyone thinks. That being said I think she still has a shot.

I just can't see Biden winning nor do I want him to. I can tolerate him as a VP he's by no means a stupid man, but the guy has no tact and he doesn't know when to shut his mouth. The shit he's said over the years makes me want to either laugh or fall out of my chair in embarrassment. I don't think he has the grace or the overall ability to take the helm of this country

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/16/14 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Both rational posts. I agree a hundred percent.

Welcome back, Goom. Go Browns! lol lol

Go Browns is the most insulting thing you've ever said to me, Pizzaboy! wink

Right now, their reputation is lower than crocodile piss... lol
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/17/14 12:53 PM

Go Browns is the most insulting thing you've ever said to me, Pizzaboy! wink

Right now, their reputation is lower than crocodile piss... lol

Amen to that!!

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/17/14 03:41 PM

David Wildstein, whom Christie had appointed to a position on the Port authority, and who had refused to answer questions last week before a legislative committee investigating the scandal, has apparently through counsel offered to speak completely and openly if full immunity is offered.

Christie leaves NJ today for Florida for political fundraisers.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/17/14 04:12 PM

MSNBC pointed out that several top members of Rudolph Giuliani's presidential campaign staff ended up working as top officials of Christie's campaign. Also, Giuliani's assistant US Attorney has been hired by Christie to represent his interests.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/17/14 06:57 PM

MSNBC pointed out that several top members of Rudolph Giuliani's presidential campaign staff ended up working as top officials of Christie's campaign. Also, Giuliani's assistant US Attorney has been hired by Christie to represent his interests.

Thats a mistake. Rudy was good at a lot of things but one of them was never assuaging his enemies.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/17/14 07:25 PM

TRENTON, N.J. — The former appointee of Gov. Chris Christie who directed lane closures that backed up traffic for hours in one New Jersey town is reiterating that he is ready to share more information if he can be granted immunity from prosecution.

Meanwhile, 17 other people and three organizations are being issued subpoenas as lawmakers try to learn exactly how the September lane closures on an approach to the George Washington Bridge from the community of Fort Lee happened and why.

David Wildstein, whom Christie appointed to a position in the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, has already supplied a legislative committee with the most damning documents in the case so far, including an email from a Christie aide saying it was "time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee," a sign that the lane-closing plot was hatched by Christie's aides as a political vendetta.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/17/14 09:56 PM

Has Hillary even announced that she's running? And don't you think she's to old for the job?

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/18/14 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
Has Hillary even announced that she's running? And don't you think she's to old for the job?

There have been older candidates. ...She hasn't announced it, but she's running. wink

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/18/14 12:56 AM

TRENTON, N.J. — The former appointee of Gov. Chris Christie who directed lane closures that backed up traffic for hours in one New Jersey town is reiterating that he is ready to share more information if he can be granted immunity from prosecution.

Meanwhile, 17 other people and three organizations are being issued subpoenas as lawmakers try to learn exactly how the September lane closures on an approach to the George Washington Bridge from the community of Fort Lee happened and why.

David Wildstein, whom Christie appointed to a position in the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, has already supplied a legislative committee with the most damning documents in the case so far, including an email from a Christie aide saying it was "time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee," a sign that the lane-closing plot was hatched by Christie's aides as a political vendetta.

I have a feeling Wildstein is gonna get immunity, and sing like a canary.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/18/14 03:35 PM

I have a feeling Wildstein is gonna get immunity, and sing like a canary.

The authorities will first have to determine whether Wildstein's potential level of culpability is outweighed by the value of the information and the uniqueness and credibility of the source, and whether such information may be obtained through other avenues.

I agree with you that some tyope of deal will be reached, and he'll let loose with what he knows. He realizes that once he agrees to speak, withholding information can get him into far greater trouble than shutting down the traffic lanes for political reasons.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/18/14 07:59 PM

The authorities will first have to determine whether Wildstein's potential level of culpability is outweighed by the value of the information and the uniqueness and credibility of the source, and whether such information may be obtained through other avenues.

I agree with you that some tyope of deal will be reached, and he'll let loose with what he knows. He realizes that once he agrees to speak, withholding information can get him into far greater trouble than shutting down the traffic lanes for political reasons.

In this case, it appears that the lies, cover-up, and motivation are worse than the crime itself. I doubt Wildstein or any of the major players would be charged with very serious crimes anyway. All indications are that this is going to eventually lead directly into the governor's office. We'll find out how loyal the people around Christie really are, and whether or not they're willing to continue to lie and take the fall for him.

I'm hoping this ends with Christie doing his best Jack Nicholson impersonation from a "A Few Good Men". wink

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/20/14 10:26 PM

And now the mayor of Hoboken is saying that Lt Gov. Guadagno threatened to hold back Sandy funds unless Hoboken approved a new building project. Ah, the cream is rising to the top and the worms are crawling out of the wood work.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/21/14 08:55 PM

A month ago Christie was the next savior after the demise of the past savior Obama, who came after the former savior Bush. As I have said before, nothing changes except the swines at the trough.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/21/14 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon

She has not announced, and I am not all that sure she will. I think Bill wants it more than she does. She is a terrible campaigner, and I think she is certainly capable to be president. Personally I would like to see her run with a moderate republican and have a one term pledge in the interest of national unity.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/21/14 09:36 PM

A month ago Christie was the next savior after the demise of the past savior Obama, who came after the former savior Bush. As I have said before, nothing changes except the swines at the trough.

I've heard George W. Bush called many things. But "savior" was never one of them. wink

I agree - same old b.s. from these politicians. This country has been bitterly divided politically since the 2000 election and it's not getting fixed any time soon.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/22/14 07:05 PM

Christie's approval rating down 19 points in NJ from when he was reelected in November according to a new poll today.

"Christie's approval rating among New Jersey voters, at 65 percent just before he was re-elected last year, dipped to 46 percent favorable to 43 percent unfavorable, according to the Rutgers-Eagleton Poll."

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/22/14 09:30 PM

I admit I am also disappointed in Christie. If he was not directly involved in any of this he at least should've had more control over his staff

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/22/14 10:01 PM

I knew he was a vindictive bully before he even became governor. Back in 2009, he sought the endorsement of one of the NJ Public Employees Unions. When he didn't get it, he told their president (who I know): "I won't forget this". In 2012 when they went to negotiate a new contract, he wouldn't even meet with them, and he outsourced all their jobs.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/22/14 10:55 PM

I knew he was a vindictive bully before he even became governor. Back in 2009, he sought the endorsement of one of the NJ Public Employees Unions. When he didn't get it, he told their president (who I know): "I won't forget this". In 2012 when they went to negotiate a new contract, he wouldn't even meet with them, and he outsourced all their jobs.

I've heard a few similar allegations before. I admit openly that I didn't like Christie from Day One. His brash and arrogant manner is a complete turnoff. I'll also admit that I started to question my own dislike of him last year (after seeing him during Hurricane Sandy). Regardless, I am now back to my original dislike of this gasbag.

Television should be interesting for the near future.... the Super Bowl, the Olympics and watching the inevitable attacks on Chris Christie by his opponents. Gonna be a lot of cheering coming up from my apartment.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/22/14 11:17 PM

Television should be interesting for the near future.... the Super Bowl, the Olympics and watching the inevitable attacks on Chris Christie by his opponents. Gonna be a lot of cheering coming up from my apartment.

game takes place in East RutherforD, NJ this year

The Superbowl logo features..........

wait for it

the G W Bridge

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/22/14 11:34 PM

I really don't know whether or not I like Christie. I am not a fanboy. In my humble opinion he cannot yet be held responsible for the traffic jam unless someone comes up with proof that he was involved. A good leader cannot possibly know everything that goes on with a subordinate. You can carefully screen them and follow up on them but when one does something totally unpredictable, all you can do is react - which Christie did by firing the individual and starting an investigation. Fat Joe Massino thought he had total control of everyone and everything in the Bonnano family. Apparently he didn't as Vinnie Basciano committed several unapproved murders. Subordinates will sometimes do things unpredictable to try to impress the boss thinking they will get brownie points

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/30/14 04:49 PM

Christie's brother bought, flipped Harrison lots near Port Authority project, report says

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/201...n_renovati.html

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/30/14 10:28 PM

And the shoes continue to drop!!!

smile

TIS

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/31/14 09:55 PM

...the new york times..reports of the alleged"smoking gun"

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/nyregion/christie-bridge.html?_r=0

wildstein is flipping

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/31/14 10:40 PM

...the new york times..reports of the alleged"smoking gun"

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/nyregion/christie-bridge.html?_r=0

wildstein is flipping

I'm thinking Bridgett Kelly will be next. She recently changed lawyers, from a Christie connected/appointed to another. At least that's my guess. Nobody's gonna wanna take a fall.

smile
TIS

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/31/14 10:45 PM

If Waldstein provides the unredacted documents that show Christie knew about the bridge closure, then Christie lied and he's toast.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 01/31/14 10:49 PM

If Waldstein provides the unredacted documents that show Christie knew about the bridge closure, then Christie lied and he's toast.

Well, letter said "evidence exists" that Christie knew tho not sure yet what that evidence is. But yea, I agree, even IF CC did nothing illegal, it's pretty unethical and he is toast.

Which, btw, the closure of the bridge itself...is that illegal or more unethical?

smile

TIS

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/01/14 01:29 AM

The Repubs are scramblin' to find a Pres candidate and whose name comes up? HUCKABEE!

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/01/14 03:46 AM

The Repubs are scramblin' to find a Pres candidate and whose name comes up? HUCKABEE!

Is God a liberal? Seriously that's the only explaination for this never-ending good luck for the Dems. The only GOP candidate that I could see winning in '16, and he may have Dick Nixon-ed himself.

Rand Paul is now surely the favorite if indeed Christie is truely, to use the appropriate Jersyian verb for this occassion, "fucked."

Or is this Jeb Bush's opening?!?

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/01/14 03:18 PM

Absolutely. Forget the primary; he'll resign.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/01/14 03:46 PM

Forget the primary; he'll resign.

Christie doesn't strike me as the type who resigns. He'd stay in office just to annoy his opponents.
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/01/14 07:08 PM

Well thank God he had the time to show up at Howard Stern's 60th birthday party! lol

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/201...oids_press.html

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/02/14 07:09 PM

Federal prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney's Office in Newark on Friday met privately with the chief lawyer for New Jersey lawmakers investigating the George Washington Bridge traffic jams and requested that the panel not take any steps that might interfere with its criminal probe, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

The meeting, coming the same day that former Port Authority official David Wildstein's lawyer released a letter that said his client has "evidence" that might contradict Christie's public account, was the latest indication that U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman's office is aggressively investigating the so-called Bridgegate affair.

At the meeting, federal prosecutors asked that the special New Jersey legislative committee give them a heads up about any witnesses they might seek to call, said the sources, who spoke with NBC News on condition of anonymity. The prosecutors want time to raise any objections that public testimony might compromise their own investigation.
Posted By: ChiSox74

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/02/14 07:13 PM

Meadow Soprano is behind this. Christie's government was going after the narcotic prescription fraud scheme and she brought his government down to destroy his credibility

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/03/14 06:29 PM

When the governor of a state has the opportunity to issue a press release regarding accusations, why compose much of it as a personal attack directed at your accuser. I would use the opportunity to only address the accusations.
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/04/14 06:06 PM

I find it ironic that the personal attacks on his accuser call into question his honesty and integrity, yet this is the same person that met with the Governor's approval when he was named to head the Port Authority.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/04/14 06:06 PM

I find it ironic that the personal attacks on his accuser call into question his honesty and integrity, yet this is the same person that met with the Governor's approval when he was named to head the Port Authority.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/04/14 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Marco

And the attacks go back to high school saying his HS social studies teacher said he was "deceptive." That's all they got? lol

Btw, I know that Wildstein & now Bridgett Kelly both are taking the 5th refusing to testify and Kelley refuses to turn over documents. What happens next? Can they ever be made to turn in documents/records? confused

TIS

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/04/14 07:28 PM

DM, you hit one of the nails on the head. In a prior post I questioned why Christie authorized the issuance of a criticism of the accuser about his high school era activity.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/04/14 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Btw, I know that Wildstein taking the 5th refusing to testify and Kelley refuses to turn over documents.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/04/14 09:42 PM

"Scandals"--often manufactured--come and go in politics, and are seldom consequential over time. What does remain is the impression the politico made in handling the scandal: Did he enhance our confidence in him, or not? Usually the politico has to make an early and overpowering counterattack, or create a case-closing admission or apology.

The Christie affair has dragged on far too long for him to have put it behind--much less enhance our view of him. It could get much worse.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/04/14 10:00 PM

And to think, CC convicted 100 govt. officials in five years as the US Attorney for New Jersey. And the saying goes, "what goes around, comes around." DUCK, Chris!

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/05/14 08:33 PM

Hey New Yorkers ... and Jerseyites: on Piers Morgan, Ann Coulter stated that the lanes on the GW bridge do not empty out into Ft. Lee. Is that true?

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/05/14 09:47 PM

Hey New Yorkers ... and Jerseyites: on Piers Morgan, Ann Coulter stated that the lanes on the GW bridge do not empty out into Ft. Lee. Is that true?

The context in which AC made this statement might be in question here. The traffic jam was caused by lanes going into Manhattan, which backed up all the entrance roads leading into the bridge. All of those entrance roads pass through Ft. Lee. The largest artery entering the bridge is Interstate 95, which likely doesn't have an entrance road from Ft. Lee, but the other major entrance roads do; Rt 9-1-46 from the southwest and Rt 9W from the north. Ft. Lee secondary roads feed into these routes. The George Washington Bridge is designated as Interstate Rt 95 and State Rt 9 (of Springsteen "Born to Run" fame). The roads leading into the bridge are a tangled weave; not for the driving novice. The GW Bridge is a constant site of traffic delays and snarls. Rt 95 is the major route north to New England. I've many many trips over the GW; some good, some not so good. Nice view of Manhattan...if you're stuck in traffic. lol

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/06/14 12:59 AM

Other direction was the issue - it was the entrance ramps that caused the traffic issues and turned Ft. Lee into a parking lot.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/23/14 09:35 PM

Who cares? No one gets to be governor of New Jersey by being a "good scout."

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 02/26/14 02:03 AM

I still say Christie can get passed this

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 04/13/15 10:35 PM

bump 4/13/15

indictments announced perhaps next week according to NYTimes

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/09/nyregi...andal.html?_r=0

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/01/15 10:37 PM

Two indicted

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/nyregi...osing-case.html

excerpt

Bill Baroni, the former deputy executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and Bridget Anne Kelly, a former deputy chief of staff to Mr. Christie, were charged with nine counts, including conspiracy to commit fraud by “knowingly converting and intentionally misapplying property of an organization receiving federal benefits.”

David Wildstein, another former Port Authority official and a high school friend of Mr. Christie, pleaded guilty at the United States District Court in Newark to conspiracy to commit fraud and conspiracy against civil rights.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/04/15 03:18 PM

5/04/15

Two key figures in New Jersey’s Bridgegate scandal appeared Monday in federal court, where they pleaded not guilty to charges that they bottlenecked the George Washington Bridge to exact revenge on a political opponent.

Bridget Kelly, Gov. Chris Christie’s former chief of staff, and Bill Baroni, his top appointee to the Port Authority, were each released on $150,000 bail on fraud and conspiracy charges in the scandal that has threatened the governor’s presidential hopes.

They were ordered to relinquish their passports, and their travel is limited to within the United States.

Kelly and Baroni are accused of helping to orchestrate a traffic jam on the busy George Washington Bridge in September 2013 as retribution against the Democratic mayor of Fort Lee for not endorsing Republican Christie in his re-election bid.

They were named in a nine-count indictment unsealed Friday after a yearlong investigation.

The indictment was handed up the same day that David Wildstein, who went to high school with Christie and later became a top official in the Port Authority, pleaded guilty to two criminal counts in connection with the bridge scandal.

Baroni professed his innocence.

“I would never risk my career, my job, my reputation for something like this,” Baroni told reporters outside federal court in Newark.

“I am an innocent man, and that is why I turned over thousands of pages of my own documents to the prosecutors and the legislator. And that is why I will testify on my own behalf as soon as the trial begins. I will spend every day working to clear my name and get my reputation back.”

Baroni and Kelly have each called Wildstein “a liar” who is spinning stories in a bid to stay out of prison.

US Attorney Paul Fishman, who announced the indictments Friday, said the defendants had “callously victimized” the citizens of Fort Lee, NJ — on the west side of the bridge — by purposely scheduling the closing of access lanes on the first day of the school year, causing a huge traffic jam.

Although the indictments did not implicate Christie, the charges against his aides have not helped him with the public. A new Monmouth University poll said nearly 70 percent of the 500 New Jersey residents surveyed said they do not think the governor has been “completely honest” about what he knows about the Fort Lee traffic jam.
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/04/15 03:29 PM

Who cares about this guy. No way he can be nominated in the Republican party. His donors are giving their money to Jeb Bush already.

The brain surgeon Carson the black guy is running. I might vote for him even if no one else does in the primary. Something about the guy speak I like.
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/04/15 03:34 PM

Why the fuck is this a scandal? The Hoboken Mayor says Chris Christie intentionally withheld Hurricane Sandy relief funds from districts who didn't back him. Isn't that a little more scandalous - not to mention tittillating for the media - then the bridgegate?

Christie has animal rights activists up in arms because he vetoed a bill that would require farmers to treat pigs humanely. Still more interesting than a bridge closure nobody can prove he was involved in. I'm just saying if you want to nail a guy, pick charges you can actually stick to him.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/04/15 04:28 PM

@Barrett,

I think the Bergen Record broke the story and it took off from there.Broke nationally so there has to be investigations, indictments and fall guys.

Christie is an effective leader, but in many ways he's a bully and doesn't care if he burns any.....bridges. The last governor's race...they threw a tackling dummy candidate at him and unless I'm mistaken NOT one prominent Democrat in the state publicly endorsed the Democratic candidate running against him....which gives an indication of the fear that some elected officials have here.

The other allegations about Christie just haven't generated as much interest in the press. I also think that Christie is only one person removed from whoever gets blamed/convicted for bridge gate and he can hide behind several layers of bureaucracy to explain possible Sandy issues or controversies.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/04/15 04:38 PM

@Foot,

The word is that Christie did, or would have turned down Romney's offer to run as VP because it was a lost cause and 2016 was "wide open"

That lane appears to be closed now.

Ben Carson is the new Alan Keyes, not a serious candidate but just running to make a few points.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/05/15 11:49 AM

Huckabee just announced he is running

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/05/15 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Footreads
Huckabee just announced he is running

He was way better in 2008. Back when he jammed on campaigns during his midlife crisis.

I don't want anybody to win in 2016. I might just be one of those wiseass kids who paper ballots a vote or Mickey Mouse. All you candidates suck.
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/05/15 06:40 PM

for me there is nobody to vote for, they are all owned, so why bother.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/05/15 07:43 PM

Amen. I'll vote for you before I vote for any of these clowns.

Or I could vote for the Prohibition party cuz its' hilarious they're still a thing.

Honestly I think, minus bridgegate and the other scandals, Christie would have had the BEST chance of winning. It's crazy how fast his star fell.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/05/15 09:26 PM

Binnie I know your a democrate so you can not vote in the republican primary can you smile

All you can vote for is Hillary or the republican that wins the primary. Since I am pretty sure you will vote for Hill. Then by all means don't vote.

I am also a democrate so I have to wait to the presidential election to vote. I will vote for any republican that is nominated.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/05/15 09:29 PM

Christie has been cleared of any wrong doing in Bridge gate.

He did not have a chance of being nominated.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/09/15 08:43 AM

For a while, they were reporting- even FOX news - that Hillery was far ahead of any challenger, but this week they have said that new poling shows there are now 4 Republicans ahead of her. I will be so glad when this is over. Oh and I don't really think Chris Christie has much of a chance.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/09/15 10:10 AM

They can make a poll go any way they want by the way they pose the question.

They can also ask what party you vote most of the time. Then by your answer just go on with the party they want to answer the question.

A lot of the polls had Romney ahead in states that he lost.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/09/15 10:18 AM

They is a tv show I watch from time to time. Main character was running for office in a democratic primary.

The person who lost wanted a recount. Then they found a device in the voting booth that can change your vote to the other opponent.

So they would get a recount. The person running who won agreeded to tge recount because they did not cheat.

Instead the party want the person to withdraw. Not because he did anything wrong.

Because a recount might effect another election. The part put the device so their man can win his election. Win the election the party has a super majority.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/12/16 07:36 PM

UPDATE 5/12/16

http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/05/12/judge-orders-release-of-secret-bridgegate-names.htm

excerpt

Judge Orders Release of Secret 'Bridgegate' Names
By NICK RUMMELL
Tweet

TRENTON, N.J. (CN) — A secret list of unindicted co-conspirators involved in the state's "Bridgegate" scandal could be released as soon as Friday, following a ruling by a federal judge.
The list, which has been kept under lock and key, is thought to include additional elected officials who had knowledge of the 2013 lane shutdowns leading to the George Washington Bridge that led to a massive traffic jam.
The judge hearing the case found arguments that the list is essentially already public knowledge persuasive. Further, the names on the list are likely elected or appointed officials, the judge ruled, which makes the list in the public interest.
"The underlying events that gave rise to the indictment have been extensively covered by the media, such that even persons tangentially involved have already been identified and exposed in the press," Judge Susan Wigenton wrote in her May 11 ruling. "There is very little that is private about the lane closures or the lives of the people allegedly connected to them."
The so-called Bridgegate scandal stems from a five-day shutdown of several lanes leading onto the George Washington Bridge that snarled traffic for hours. Bridget Anne Kelly and William Baroni Jr. were charged with conspiracy and fraud for their alleged roles in shutting down the lanes as political payback to Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich, who had declined to endorse Gov. Chris Christie in his re-election bid for governor.
When asked if he thought his name would be on the list of unindicted co-conspirators, Christie told reporters Wednesday "I don't believe so, but I guess no one knows until they actually put the list out." Christie, who is now both New Jersey's governor and the transition team leader for Donald Trump's presidential campaign, has repeatedly denied knowledge of the lane shutdowns.
At the time of the shutdown, Kelly served as deputy chief of staff for Gov. Chris Christie and Baroni was deputy executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Another Port Authority official, David Wildstein, pleaded guilty for his role in the shutdow
Posted By: Faithful1

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/13/16 01:18 AM

I'm sorry, but to me this is a total non-story. A traffic jam was created as political retribution to a mayor who didn't support Christie. It's a big "so what." Where I live in Southern California we deal with massive traffic jams everyday. When Obama flies over here for a fundraiser it's even worse. It happens and people get over it. The fact is if Christie was a Democrat this story would be long forgotten. Compare that to Jerry Brown, who is wasting billions of taxpayer dollars on a train that no one will use, fails to invest in water purification technology that we need, and increased the minimum wage to $15 an hour despite admitting that it doesn't make sense economically and was told it would kill jobs. Yet Brown enjoys high favorability while Christie gets low marks. It's all because Brown has a (D) after his name and Christie has an (R).

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/13/16 02:03 AM

F1,

Had somebody from Christie's camp just stepped up and took the hit, there would have never been a story.
The story grew and grew and derailed Christie's huge momentum and popularity.
For such an abrasive guy, Christie had a lot of charm and wit and media was really warming up to him in his bid for 2016.
Somebody was supposed to fall on their sword, leave the public eye and then resurface when Christie was getting inaugurated and get some cushy patronage job.

Instead Christie is revealed as the petty bully that he is....or for having people around him that weren't ready for prime time. You can get away with this stuff in some backwoods NJ township that nobody has ever heard of, but not in town which connects to Manhattan.

You are right that officials have directly done more egregious things and gotten away with no scrutiny...but Christie was surrounded by losers.

Only in NJ...will a person in high office write in an email "it's time for problems for the little Serb"....referring to Mayor Sokolich...and then get THAT wrong....cause Sokolich is Croatian.
Posted By: Faithful1

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/13/16 02:29 AM

Gets,

I don't think Christie should have ever run for Prez. Like it or not, people have biases against obese politicians. Back in the days before television it was a different story because being overweight meant wealth and therefore something to aspire to, but today people are more concerned about looks. His "tell it like it is" style was somewhat attractive and different, and certainly not abrasive when compared to Trump, who is in a league of all his own.

As for him being a petty bully, I see a lot of politicians who are bullies. Even the Clintons and Obama are bullies and have used the power of government to go after their political enemies. The media narrative is that only Republicans are bullies, Nixon being the primary example. Yet Johnson and even Kennedy did more and got away with it, such as using the IRS to go after people they didn't like. So again, I see it as more of a media creation than anything, at least with all the publicity that it's receiving.

To your point that the individual directly responsible was supposed to have fallen on his sword, you may be correct on that, but it's hard to say. Who knows if the local newspapers or VOX or Salon would continue to stoke the flames? I could see it happening.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/13/16 05:26 PM

F1,

I cannot argue against anything you wrote. About candidates having to be telegenic..interesting that you mention Nixon later in your post. The first televised Pres. debate(I think) was between young handsome JFK...and Nixon who looked haggard by comparison. I remember decades later that John Kerry had plastic surgery after his looks becoming an issue on the Pres. campaign trail.
Dissing overweight people is the LAST acceptable form of discrimination in this country, so it would have been an uphill battle for Christie, you're right about that. But he expertly made himself part of the joke and laughed at himself and diffused a lot of the negative comments.
There's a clip of him on Letterman, where he surprises Dave by pulling a donut out of his pocket mid interview and biting it. What I found even more hilarious than the donut bit, was that Letterman.....who weighs maybe 160....was lecturing CC about health and weight loss, after he (Letterman) had double bypass surgery years ago.

And you're right..Christie is no more of a bully than any of the examples you've used....but besides his party affiliation..he comes across as a bully when he deals with the local media and citizens at press conferences and town hall meetings(with cameras rolling), so it's an easier sell.

He was actually a pretty effective governor....in spite of being a Republican in a traditionally Blue state. He cut through a lot of stalling and bs with the state senate.

Perhaps somebody taking blame wouldn't have made it go away, but the way it's been dragged out has definitely made it worse. Vox and Salon,etc have agendas...and they would have tried to either stoke that fire or some other story.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/13/16 07:47 PM

Christie sure bullied little Marco during the debates.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 05/13/16 08:58 PM

Gett I saw that YouTube of letterman with Christie and the donuts he was great on that show. The posters liberal Democrates all kept making fun of his weight. They love everyone except fat republicans.

Someone posted they forget their are plenty of fat homo's and trans genders, blacks, Hispanics and even women just look at Hillary another fat bastards smile

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 09/30/16 03:10 PM

bridge gate trial in full swing

current update 9/30/16

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/09/bridgegate_trial_wildstein_says_top_christie_aides.html

NEWARK — Before Gov. Chris Christie's top appointee to the Port Authority told lawmakers the George Washington Bridge lane closures were part of a traffic study, he was prepped by the governor's one-time pick for the state Supreme Court justice and Christie's future chief of staff.

David Wildstein -- who pleaded guilty to federal crimes related to the Bridgegate scandal and testified the traffic study claim was a bogus cover -- told jurors Thursday that Phil Kwon, a former nominee for the state Supreme Court, and Regina Egea, who would later serve as the governor's top aide, helped prepare Bill Baroni for his testimony.

Baroni, the former Port Authority deputy executive director now on trial for federal crimes related to the September 2013 lane closures, told lawmakers in a November 2013 hearing that the gridlock was result of a traffic study.

David Wildstein gave new insights into who in Christie's inner circle knew about the Bridgegate scandal.

That claim was later refuted by Wildstein and federal prosecutors, who charge the closures were an act of political revenge against the mayor of Fort Lee for not endorsing Christie's re-election bid.

Before speaking to lawmakers, Baroni took part in a conference call between Port Authority officials and people Trenton, Wildstein testified in federal court in Newark.

On the Port Authority side, he said Baroni, Wildstein and Kwon took part in a conference call with Egea, her second in command, Nicole Crifo, and an unidentified "lawyer from Trenton."

At the time, Kwon served as deputy general counsel for the Port Authority and Egea was the head of the state's Authorities Unit.

Egea was later tapped to be Christie's chief of staff. Christie nominated Kwon to the state Supreme Court during his first term in office. However, his nomination was rejected by the state's Democratic-controlled Senate.

The testimony about the conference call came as Wildstein continued to be cross-examined by defense attorney Michael Baldassare, who represents Baroni and seemed intent on trying to show to the jury that the government's star witness had repeatedly changed his story and misrepresented his own significant role in the scandal.

The defense attorney has also tried to suggest that those who knew what really happened at the George Washington Bridge went much higher than just Baroni and Bridget Anne Kelly, a former deputy chief of staff to the governor who is also charged in the case.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 09/30/16 03:42 PM

They are trying to push that off on christy again.

Good luck fuck then any their mothers.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 11/04/16 07:56 PM

the ending...perhaps...unless Christie is next

Kelly and Baroni guilty on all counts

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/11/bridgegate_verdict_bill_baroni_and_bridget_kelly_g.html

NEWARK — Two former Christie administration insiders charged in a bizarre scheme of political retaliation against a mayor who refused to endorse the governor for re-election were found guilty Friday on all counts in the long-running Bridgegate saga.

In a seven-week trial that saw their own words used against them, Bill Baroni and Bridget Anne Kelly were convicted of helping orchestrate massive traffic tie-ups at the George Washington Bridge in September 2013. The plot was hatched to send a pointed message to Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich, after he stepped back from his earlier public support of Gov. Chris Christie.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 11/04/16 10:45 PM

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 11/06/16 01:36 AM

Sorry again, SC......gonna stop link articles from nj.com.
Always stretches the board when I post from there.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 11/06/16 02:36 AM

At don't know what the fuss is all about. A video clearly shows that Christie fell down and blocked the whole bridge. It took them hours to move him.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 11/06/16 04:07 AM

At don't know what the fuss is all about. A video clearly shows that Christie fell down and blocked the whole bridge. It took them hours to move him.

lol lol

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 11/06/16 04:08 AM

Sorry again, SC......gonna stop link articles from nj.com.
Always stretches the board when I post from there.

No problem.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 03/30/17 03:54 AM

FINALLY the conclusion of Bridge-gate (or is it?)

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 07/24/17 02:08 PM

at least 3 of the 4 major players have been convicted(Christie somehow avoided charges)...so this should be the end of the story.

Wildstein gets avoids jail time, gets probation.

Re: Christie and The GW Bridge - 07/24/17 04:04 PM

So the rat did not rat on the governor Christie why was that? He is going to go into business with Anthony Weiner soon.

Don't we all love people who rat on their friends just to stay out of jail.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET