Home

Bring back Phil Robertson

Posted By: SgWaue86

Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/20/13 06:09 AM

This is ridiculous, this man of faith simply went a bit far. While I don't condone his statements of comparing bestiality to being gay or jim crow laws he spoke his mind and should not be punished over it. Not looking for fights or bashing gays, just sign the petition to bring him back. Hea an old southern man and I'm glad to see that his family is standing by him.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/20/13 04:05 PM

Who the hell is Phil Robertson? Relation to Pat?
Posted By: olivant

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/20/13 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Who the hell is Phil Robertson? Relation to Pat?

He's the Duck Dynasty patriarch who stated some unflattering remarks about gays people in a GC Magazine interview and was suspended by the show's network A&E.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/20/13 08:08 PM

Typical of the PC crowd that makes up so much of the media. They're all for free speech....unless they don't agree with it. What Robertson said about blacks in the past was probably more deserving of an apology than what he said about gays, which wasn't outrageous at all.
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/20/13 08:09 PM

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/20/13 08:20 PM

don't watch the show but i figure he'll be back

show generates too much money for the suspension to last

---------------------------------------------

his comments about jim crow era are uninformed ...he really has no idea what he's talking about

his understanding of Black people's lives is about as much as my understanding of rural or backwoods White people's lives.

I put up the boxcover of the film Deliverence as a joke to highlight just how little I know about that demographic

uninformed comments aren't worth getting fired though......
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/20/13 09:12 PM

Guess he won't be happy, happy ,happy anymore then.....
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/20/13 09:15 PM

I've never seen the show and I'm not even sure what he said. But Ivy DOES have a point about some liberals being all for free speech .... unless they don't like what you're saying.

What exactly did he say, anyway? Was it the usual homos are gonna burn in Hell stuff, or did he add a new wrinkle?
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/20/13 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I've never seen the show and I'm not even sure what he said. But Ivy DOES have a point about some liberals being all for free speech .... unless they don't like what you're saying.

What exactly did he say, anyway? Was it the usual homos are gonna burn in Hell stuff, or did he add a new wrinkle?

He stated homosexuality would lead to bestiality or something like that here's a quote below:

“But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

He also got kinda graphic and got into the whole anus vs vagina thing

Now me personally I thought his comments were derogatory and I heavily disagree with him but he does have a right to say it. He has a right to say it and I would defend that right. Was it worth a suspension from the show? Well I guess that's up to the network. There will be consequences for everything a person says, but as long as they're not getting thrown in jail or executed for it you have to be prepared for that consequence.

Phil Robertson isn't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree and I find him ignorant and a moron. But I think some of the backlash conservatives get is unfair. There are plenty of idiot liberals out there too who say dumb shit but no one makes a deal out of that.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/21/13 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

There are plenty of idiot liberals out there too who say dumb shit but no one makes a deal out of that.

Such as Rick Sanchez and Mian Bashir?
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/21/13 09:01 AM

I was wondering if this was going to get a thread. The Robertson family were doing fine before the show which I love btw. And they will be fine if the network cancels the show. They are a family of deep faith in the Lord.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/21/13 05:50 PM

There are right wingers just as guilty. Check Miss Palin this past week.

I now know who the guy is. He's as free to say what he wants and when he wants. But there is no constitutional right to have your own tv show. And in this medium, whatever your politics, there are consequences, based on the inclinations of advertisers, viewers, network executives and program producers.

He'll return to the show; those disagreeing with him will have their say; and maybe the whole Duck Dynasty group will have a flea bath for Christmas. smile

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/21/13 06:27 PM

PB, here's a link: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/201...-homosexuality/

However, below is a quote from his interview as he describes black people prior to the civil rights movement:

"Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”
Posted By: LittleMan

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/21/13 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Now me personally I thought his comments were derogatory and I heavily disagree with him but he does have a right to say it. He has a right to say it and I would defend that right. Was it worth a suspension from the show? Well I guess that's up to the network. There will be consequences for everything a person says, but as long as they're not getting thrown in jail or executed for it you have to be prepared for that consequence.

Phil Robertson isn't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree and I find him ignorant and a moron. But I think some of the backlash conservatives get is unfair. There are plenty of idiot liberals out there too who say dumb shit but no one makes a deal out of that.

Based on the recent news, there has been a balance of both conservative and liberals getting hammered due to exercising their right to free speech. Martin Bashir and Alex Baldwin recently lost their shows based on their words, too. The bosses at A&E have the right to manage their employees how they see fit, just like at MSNBC.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/21/13 06:51 PM

One thing that some Board members should consider is there is no right to free speech. Frequently though, references to speech are phrased as free speech. The language and interpretation of the US Constitution's 1st Amendment constrains Congress, but it does not prohibit statutory limitations on speech.

Interpretation of the Constitution's 14th Amendment applies (Incorporates) that language to state's and local governments. Neither Amendment applies those constraints to non-governmental entities.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/21/13 07:04 PM

When have I ever posted anything to the contrary, Klyd? confused

I'm an Independent today, but I was a moderate Democrat for over thirty years (and to be honest, I still self-identify as such). But having been a Democrat for so many years never blinded me to the fact that the extremists on the Left are just as dangerous as the extremists on the Right. Because whether you're a tree hugging Lefty eco-terrosist who bombs construction sites, or a Righty Bible thumper who bombs abortion clinics, then guess what? You're a fucking lowlife murdering criminal who belongs in prison, not in a voting booth.

And I seriously believe that if you're willing to look the other way on a politician's record or credentials just because he or she has a (D) or an (R) next to their name, then you're not very enlightened. And of course I'm NOT talking about you personally, Klyd. We've "known" each other a long time and have a lot in common, Mets and Phillies aside grin.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/21/13 09:16 PM

Christians are the ONLY people in the world that can be hated on and cannot defend themselves. Welcome to the new 'Merica.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/22/13 05:23 AM

People tried to run Chick fil a out of business due to what the owner said about gays. Didn't happen.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/22/13 04:57 PM

I watch Jeanine Pirro's show last night with Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council. Pirro is a former Westchester County Assistant DA and County Court Judge who's been with Fox since 2006.

The following is a quote from her closing statement last night:

"But I also think – having been schooled in the Constitution as well as having rendered legal decisions on the Constitution, that Phil Robertson, the patriarch of Duck Dynasty has the right to say what he thinks."

As Kly and DT will attest, she probably needs to acquire some more schooling. The US Constitution has no application here. Not only that, but there are any number of federal and state statutory limits on speech (and press) that have been adjudicated as consistent with the Federal and state constitutions.
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/22/13 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
I watch Jeanine Pirro's show last night with Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council. Pirro is a former Westchester County Assistant DA and County Court Judge who's been with Fox since 2006.

The following is a quote from her closing statement last night:

"But I also think – having been schooled in the Constitution as well as having rendered legal decisions on the Constitution, that Phil Robertson, the patriarch of Duck Dynasty has the right to say what he thinks."

As Kly and DT will attest, she probably needs to acquire some more schooling. The US Constitution has no application here. Not only that, but there are any number of federal and state statutory limits on speech (and press) that have been adjudicated as consistent with the Federal and state constitutions.

So what are you saying? Phil Robertson doesn't have a right to say what he thinks because it's not politically correct or it might be offensive?

In no way do I agree with him on his views, but he can say whatever he likes unless it's an incentive to riot, terroism, or something really extreme. This was just a guy blowing off steam about his beliefs. If you don't like them fine but people shouldn't get their panties in a bunch about it. As I said before people face consequences for what they say and as long as they're not being executed or thrown in jail they better be prepared to face them

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/22/13 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
People tried to run Chick fil a out of business due to what the owner said about gays. Didn't happen.

Yea we love our Chik-Fil-A down South. There were lines out the ass when they tried that boycott. People drove an hour out of their way just to buy something to prove their point down here.
Posted By: xs0u1x

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/23/13 04:55 AM

right to free speech and beliefs does not exempt you from the consequences of said speech.This is a basic rule we are taught as children, there are consequences for your actions.A&E has every right to suspend him if they choose too. when you basically say that someones lifestyle leads to pig fucking....expect some repercussions.

free speech is a two way street. he's free to express his opinions, people are also free to disagree with him.

is louisiana a right to work state? lol the irony...there's nothing he can do anyways if they do fire him.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/23/13 06:36 AM

The chain restaurant Cracker Barrel was going to pull DD merch. on Friday. People went on social media and voiced their opinion so Cracker Barrel changed their mind.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/23/13 06:43 AM

Originally Posted By: dixiemafia

Yea we love our Chik-Fil-A down South. There were lines out the ass when they tried that boycott. People drove an hour out of their way just to buy something to prove their point down here.

We stopped at one in Hagerstown, MD on our way back from VA on Saturday. The parking lot was packed, the drive thru was busy. I love Chick Fil A.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/23/13 06:27 PM

I never watched the show before, and I don't intend to watch it now, or ever. He sounds ignorant at best, although he's managed to parlay his backwoods family into a multi-million dollar empire, so he certainly can't be stupid.

He may feel free to express himself, but how can any man who lived through Jim Crow laws and the civil rights movement in the South honestly say that he never met a black person that seemed unhappy? Does he live in some kind of Gone With The Wind wonderworld where the slaves were treated well and sang while they picked cotton???

I am always amazed at the uprising these things can cause. If I disagree with this man, which I do, I can change the channel and not buy any of the crap that his show peddles.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/23/13 07:01 PM

@SB

That might be his experience.
He chooses to ignore a few things in voicing that opinion though.

"White trash" or not...he was still a white guy and Black people he worked with weren't going to air personal grievances or frustrations about how society was set up in front of a "white guy".
Blacks had no legal rights as AMERICAN citizens that local or state government recognized in jim crow south. So lynching a "trouble maker" or "uppity" Black person was not gonna be a big deal.What he witnessed working with those Blacks was people wearing that public mask that people had to put on.

The belief that Blacks were worry free because he never saw a Black person publicly voice frustration about jim crow is just stupid.

For all the talk about God, flag and apple pie.....he should be ashamed that the Blacks he worked with in the fields didn't even have their RIGHTS to vote protected...until FEDERAL LAWS were enacted.

He's a clown.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/23/13 11:02 PM

The chain restaurant Cracker Barrel was going to pull DD merch. on Friday. People went on social media and voiced their opinion so Cracker Barrel changed their mind.
Yep it's all about the $$$$$$

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/23/13 11:09 PM

We stopped at one in Hagerstown, MD on our way back from VA on Saturday. The parking lot was packed, the drive thru was busy. I love Chick Fil-A.
Chick Fil-A and Cracker barrel are great places for "Regular food".
As to Duck Dynasty, I've never seen it before but my daughters like it a lot. I am told that Robertson is highly educated. I am also told that he was a college football star and team mate off Terry Bradshaw. I did hear Terry say that thew only reason that he got the QB job was because Robertson Quit. It was not a case of Bradshaw playing better than Robertson. Anyway, I say if you don't like what the guy is saying, just don't watch his show.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/24/13 10:03 AM

Palin's and the Right's outrage around "free speech" really depends on whose ox is being gored. This is no different than most people (we're all hypocrites on some level) but the victimization games ought to cease.

"Those with that platform, with a microphone, a camera in their face, they have to have some more responsibility taken," she said on Fox & Friends."
(Palin speaking of Bashir)

"Free speech is endangered species; those "intolerants" hatin' & taking on Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing personal opinion take on us all"
(Palin speaking of Phil Robertson.

Quote:
I am sure Robertson did see plenty of black people who were singing and happy. And I am also sure that very few black people approached Robertson to complain about "doggone white people."

I have some idea why...
The black people who Phil Robertson knew were warred upon. If they valued their lives, and the lives of their families, the last thing they would have done was voiced a complaint about "white people" to a man like Robertson. Ignorance is no great sin and one can forgive the good-natured white person for not knowing how all that cannibal sausage was truly made. But having been presented with a set of facts, Robertson's response is to cite "welfare" and "entitlement" as the true culprits.
The belief that black people were at their best when they were being hunted down like dogs for the sin of insisting on citizenship is a persistent strain of thought in this country...

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/12/phil-robertsons-america/282555/

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/24/13 06:07 PM

Just a reminder to all that the US Constitution's 1st amendment provision regarding speech constrains only government.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/24/13 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: bigboy
As to Duck Dynasty, I've never seen it before but my daughters like it a lot. I am told that Robertson is highly educated. I am also told that he was a college football star and team mate off Terry Bradshaw. I did hear Terry say that thew only reason that he got the QB job was because Robertson Quit. It was not a case of Bradshaw playing better than Robertson. Anyway, I say if you don't like what the guy is saying, just don't watch his show.

Yes he was educated at Louisiana Tech and was actually a school teacher at one point. He was also the starter at Tech at QB with Bradshaw actually on the bench behind him. If Robertson didn't quit to "duck hunt" as he put it, Bradshaw probably only would have had a year maybe at Tech to prove himself. It is actually not a bad show for kids to watch, there is no cussing and they seem to be Godly people on t.v. (you never really know the true person until you are around them without cameras). My son watches and loves it as well (he is 9). I will watch it, but not big into it as I was after the first season. Since the first season you could tell everything was set up while they were "at work".

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/24/13 07:59 PM

Since the first season you could tell everything was set up while they were "at work".

I think that's true of all reality shows, Dixie. The only reality show that I watch is "Pawn Stars." And that's only for the historical element (and my man Chumlee cracks me up grin ). But at least a portion of that show is scripted. I'm sure of that much.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/24/13 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: xs0u1x
right to free speech and beliefs does not exempt you from the consequences of said speech.This is a basic rule we are taught as children, there are consequences for your actions.A&E has every right to suspend him if they choose too. when you basically say that someones lifestyle leads to pig fucking....expect some repercussions.

free speech is a two way street. he's free to express his opinions, people are also free to disagree with him.

is louisiana a right to work state? lol the irony...there's nothing he can do anyways if they do fire him.

The "consequences" shouldn't have been him being suspended. What he said wasn't worthy of that. But it's like A&E almost felled compelled to because of the hyper-PC culture in our society today.

And, for the record, he was suspended because of his remarks about gays. Not blacks.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/26/13 04:46 PM

When have I ever posted anything to the contrary, Klyd? confused

I'm an Independent today, but I was a moderate Democrat for over thirty years (and to be honest, I still self-identify as such). But having been a Democrat for so many years never blinded me to the fact that the extremists on the Left are just as dangerous as the extremists on the Right. Because whether you're a tree hugging Lefty eco-terrosist who bombs construction sites, or a Righty Bible thumper who bombs abortion clinics, then guess what? You're a fucking lowlife murdering criminal who belongs in prison, not in a voting booth.

And I seriously believe that if you're willing to look the other way on a politician's record or credentials just because he or she has a (D) or an (R) next to their name, then you're not very enlightened. And of course I'm NOT talking about you personally, Klyd. We've "known" each other a long time and have a lot in common, Mets and Phillies aside grin.

Sorry to reply so late, but I just saw this. I didn't mean to point a finger at you,;I just hopped on your post to continue a thought. As you say, we know each other a long time and I know that the sentiments in my post are something with which you are already very familiar.

But bringing up the Mets and Phillies almost sapped my Christmas cheer. smile

Merry Christmas!

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/26/13 05:11 PM

But bringing up the Mets and Phillies almost sapped my Christmas cheer. smile

That's why I didn't bring up the Giants and the Steelers. Those wounds are still too fresh in the mind grin.

Merry Christmas, Counselor smile .
Posted By: xs0u1x

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/26/13 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: xs0u1x

The "consequences" shouldn't have been him being suspended. What he said wasn't worthy of that. But it's like A&E almost felled compelled to because of the hyper-PC culture in our society today.

And, for the record, he was suspended because of his remarks about gays. Not blacks.

but they did. just like any other place of employment would have done if I, myself, had been caught posting on facebook or something by co-workers for example.

if he is not prepared to defend his views, then he should not state them. free speech is not about "what I say goes and there is nothing you can do about it" in fact when you piss off a large segment of the population expect to defend yourself.

I'm serious, try that in your workplace and see how quickly you get let go. and if you are in a right to work/at-will employment state like louisiana, there is not a damn thing you can do about it.

Posted By: jace

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/28/13 12:09 AM

His views on some things are more mainstream than the media lets people realize,
his views on African-Americans seemed strange, but not offensive. His views on homosexuals were well stated, he even added that he has no hate for them.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/28/13 03:22 AM

somebody blinked

he's BACK

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/27/showbiz/duck-dynasty-resumes/

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/28/13 02:51 PM

Since the first season you could tell everything was set up while they were "at work".

I think that's true of all reality shows, Dixie. The only reality show that I watch is "Pawn Stars." And that's only for the historical element (and my man Chumlee cracks me up grin ). But at least a portion of that show is scripted. I'm sure of that much.
You are right, most of "Pawn Stars" is scripted. I have a friend who has been in the pawn business for ages. He knows of people who own very valuable collectibles who have been approached about going on the show and pretending to negotiate with the star while he has no intention of ever getting rid of the item. This happened here in Fayetteville where they started a show, "Combat Pawn" which only lasted two episodes, but again locals were approached about bringing in valuable firearms. By the way, Pawn Stars rakes in a lot of $$$ (Sure you know that) Your guy Chumlee drives either a Lamborghini or Maserati. Have you watched "Hardcore Pawn"- it's more realistic but I am sure they also script some things.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/28/13 04:38 PM

Have you watched "Hardcore Pawn"- it's more realistic but I am sure they also script some things.

The father's a douche, the son's an arrogant dick, and the daughter is just too hard to look at. She's THAT freaking ugly. But other than that . . . grin

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/28/13 04:58 PM

You are right, most of "Pawn Stars" is scripted.

Probably true. For one, some of the shots take place over time and require that customers hang around until an expert shows up to render an opinion. Also, some of the comments by customers and staff seem to be interposed; in other words, they are filmed afterwards.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/30/13 03:20 PM

Have you watched "Hardcore Pawn"- it's more realistic but I am sure they also script some things.

The father's a douche, the son's an arrogant dick, and the daughter is just too hard to look at. She's THAT freaking ugly. But other than that . . . grin

I don't think there's anyone on tv whom I despise more than that son. As bad as his sister is, she should be his boss.

That son prevents me from watching the show.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/30/13 04:57 PM

I don't think there's anyone on tv whom I despise more than that son. As bad as his sister is, she should be his boss.

That son prevents me from watching the show.

Agree a million percent, Counselor smile.

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/31/13 01:59 AM

Opps! he did it again.

The following is from an interview back in 2009:

"You got to marry these girls when they are about 15 or 16, they'll pick your ducks," proclaims Phil, whose aspiring fashion designer granddaughter, Sadie, is an apparently very marriageable 16. He then prudently cautions, "You need to check with mom and dad about that, of course."

http://wonderwall.msn.com/tv/gossip-phil...6-1789546.story

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/31/13 04:23 PM

We get various shows here about folks who live in the swamps and make moonshine etc etc, blah, blah, blah.

I imagine these shows are heavily edited for the format but they all look the same to me to be honest.

The best thing I ever saw about people living in swamps was SHREK.....

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 12/31/13 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
We get various shows here about folks who live in the swamps and make moonshine etc etc, blah, blah, blah.

I imagine these shows are heavily edited for the format but they all look the same to me to be honest.

There is a fad among some of the cable channels to produce shows about rednecks and hillbillies. They're all trying to copy Honey BooBoo. smile

Re: Bring back Phil Robertson - 01/03/14 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

There is a fad among some of the cable channels to produce shows about rednecks and hillbillies. They're all trying to copy Honey BooBoo. smile

Oh I have seen that as well Klyd. Awful, absolutely awful!!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET