Home

Detroit Bankrupt

Posted By: pizzaboy

Detroit Bankrupt - 07/19/13 08:12 PM

Detroit has become the largest city in American history to file for bankruptcy.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/...-in-us-history/
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/19/13 08:23 PM

I posted this in the "News" section but will repost here:

frown
I don't think anyone is really shocked by this, but Detroit, which was once such a neat city, has filed chapter 9 bankruptcy.

As a kid we would go visit cousins every summer (one time I believe we took the train there). Whether we went for visits, weddings, anniversaries, funerals It was always a big deal going to the Detroit.

Makes me sad.

http://www.freep.com/

TIS

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/19/13 08:25 PM

I thought you were from Detroit, Tis?

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/19/13 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I thought you were from Detroit, Tis?

No I was born/raised in Grand Rapids. My mom lived in Detroit for a while as a young girl and much of my mom's side of the family in Detroit (now in the suburbs or outside area). I used to love visiting there. smile Tho G.R is the 2nd largest city (Lilo can correct me if that's no longer the case), it never had that same look as the Motor City.

Btw, let's not forget Michigan's pride: Motown Baby!!! smile I'm proud to have been in THAT generation when it hit the scene. So cool!!

TIS

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/19/13 08:31 PM

You're not old enough to remember Motown, Tis whistle.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/19/13 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
You're not old enough to remember Motown, Tis whistle.

PB I like you!!! wink You're saying just the right things. LOL

(check's in the mail) lol

TIS
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/20/13 12:39 AM

This isn't a shocker. That city is rotten to the core.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/20/13 01:49 AM

It's a sad state of affairs. High crime led to vacant properties which led to more crime which led to more vacant properties. Horrible cycle. They said on the local news this morning that the population has shrunk from 2 million to 700,000, that only 40% of the street lights work in the city. They also gave numbers on vacant properties but I can't remember them and don't want to misquote.
Posted By: fathersson

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/20/13 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
It's a sad state of affairs. High crime led to vacant properties which led to more crime which led to more vacant properties. Horrible cycle. They said on the local news this morning that the population has shrunk from 2 million to 700,000, that only 40% of the street lights work in the city. They also gave numbers on vacant properties but I can't remember them and don't want to misquote.

Yes, it sure is and in a great country like America. frown

But lets us look at this closer... uhwhat

Who can we blame for this? How do you think people will twist things so the blame falls on someone else.... rather then the real reason this happen....

I know lets blame.....
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/20/13 12:56 PM

Lets blame all the people who bought imported cars.
Posted By: fathersson

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/20/13 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Sure How about NIXON! whistle

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/20/13 06:21 PM

DT, unfortunately, that's what happens when you put all your eggs in one economic basket. Ask the people of Ulster County, NY. At one time, they had the lowest unemployment and the highest salaries in the country. Then IBM left over a decade ago. The area still hasn't fully recovered.

New York City was probably headed in a similar direction in the 1980s. It was a tourism hell, and was one of the most frightening places on the planet. However, they got Giuliani. Say what you will about him, but he helped turn it into one of the safest large cities in the world. He got rid of the squeegee men, which nobody, including me, thought he could accomplish. Times Square was turned around under his administration.

It was accomplished very quickly, too. He subscribed to a then relatively unknown theory that came out of Harvard (May be wrong on Harvard, but I think it was) called The Broken Window Theory. The theory is that if you go after so-called Quality of Life crimes, like jaywalking, spitting on the sidewalk, loitering, graffiti, etc., you will eventually stop other crime.

The theory is that if you have a vacant house and one person throws a rock and breaks one of the windows, it somehow gives permission for other crimes to be committed there. Other people break windows. Then someone graffitis on the outside walls. The next thing you know, it's a crack house. One small crime leads to the proliferation of other, more serious crimes.
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/20/13 09:55 PM

I tried to make sense of this article and after re reading twice i still couldnt, maybe someone else might be able to understand it(it might help you find some1 to blame)

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2569481
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/21/13 12:39 AM

some people let other things cloud their judgement

the citizens of Detroit didn't have shit to do with detroits economy crash

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/21/13 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: cookcounty

some people let other things cloud their judgement

the citizens of Detroit didn't have shit to do with detroits economy crash

It was the corrupt politicians and the fact that Detroit had one industry they relied on for way too long a time
Posted By: LittleNicky

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/21/13 02:29 AM

The citizens of detriot were directly responsible for the fiscal situation. Nobody forced them to elect the progressive democrats, year after year after year, that destroyed the city's balance sheet with public sector union pensions and big-ticket development scams. To fund these unsustainable pensions they repeatedly raised taxes and made detriot extremely business hostile. This is really the turn of events now being seen in CA too- although perhaps little less "blue collar" like corruption that was going on in Detroit public office.

The other less mentioned for PC reasons for collapse was the rise of racial politics in the city of Detroit- as chronicaled in the Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/d...4871_story.html

Quote:

The white population’s abandonment of the city left Detroit with a shrinking tax base and deteriorating, segregated public schools — a system locked in place by a Supreme Court order that halted busing across school district lines. But blacks still in Detroit had one thing left — political power. And they would guard it jealously against any encroachment, real or imagined.

Thus, the city’s black political class sees conspiracy theories everywhere. The investigation of the last mayor by the Detroit Free Press, and his indictment by a prosecutor, are seen as a white conspiracy to undermine black “home rule” of Detroit. The governor’s appointment of an emergency financial manager, once it became clear that Detroit cannot manage its own fiscal affairs, is again seen as a hostile, racist takeover by the state over the city’s elected black leadership.

Racial politics, and that racial prism, long ago ruined Detroit, and now they hamper any chance the city has at a modest recovery. As a longtime friend, one who has stayed in Detroit and worked to help the city, once put it to me succinctly: “Some people would rather be the king of nothing than a part of something.”

I expect other cities like LA to be next on the list. The unfunded pension liabilities in many CA cities are insane. This is the end game when economic realities finally hit the la-la land of political public sector union corruption and Keynesian Economics of "debts don't matter because we owe them to ourselves". Lot of good that did detriot.

As for the judge ruling this bankruptcy "unconstitutional" according to the Detroit Free Press, “the Michigan Constitution prohibits actions that will lessen the pension benefits of public employees.” Which means that, in Michigan, reality is unconstitutional. The creditors are hosed- whether or not bankruptcy is announced or not doesn't matter, nobody is left to make good on these promises.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/21/13 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: LittleNicky
The citizens of detriot were directly responsible for the fiscal situation. Nobody forced them to elect the progressive democrats, year after year after year, that destroyed the city's balance sheet with public sector union pensions and big-ticket development scams. To fund these unsustainable pensions they repeatedly raised taxes and made detriot extremely business hostile. This is really the turn of events now being seen in CA too- although perhaps little less "blue collar" like corruption that was going on in Detroit public office.

The other less mentioned for PC reasons for collapse was the rise of racial politics in the city of Detroit- as chronicaled in the Washington Post

Quote:

The white population’s abandonment of the city left Detroit with a shrinking tax base and deteriorating, segregated public schools — a system locked in place by a Supreme Court order that halted busing across school district lines. But blacks still in Detroit had one thing left — political power. And they would guard it jealously against any encroachment, real or imagined.

Thus, the city’s black political class sees conspiracy theories everywhere. The investigation of the last mayor by the Detroit Free Press, and his indictment by a prosecutor, are seen as a white conspiracy to undermine black “home rule” of Detroit. The governor’s appointment of an emergency financial manager, once it became clear that Detroit cannot manage its own fiscal affairs, is again seen as a hostile, racist takeover by the state over the city’s elected black leadership.

Racial politics, and that racial prism, long ago ruined Detroit, and now they hamper any chance the city has at a modest recovery. As a longtime friend, one who has stayed in Detroit and worked to help the city, once put it to me succinctly: “Some people would rather be the king of nothing than a part of something.”

I expect other cities like LA to be next on the list. The unfunded pension liabilities in many CA cities are insane. This is the end game when economic realities finally hit the la-la land of political public sector union corruption and Keynesian Economics of "debts don't matter because we owe them to ourselves". Lot of good that did detriot.

As for the judge ruling this bankruptcy "unconstitutional" according to the Detroit Free Press, “the Michigan Constitution prohibits actions that will lessen the pension benefits of public employees.” Which means that, in Michigan, reality is unconstitutional. The creditors are hosed- whether or not bankruptcy is announced or not doesn't matter, nobody is left to make good on these promises.

Little Nicky, you hit it out of the park. Couldn't agree more
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/22/13 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
I tried to make sense of this article and after re reading twice i still couldnt, maybe someone else might be able to understand it(it might help you find some1 to blame)

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2569481

The article states thst retirees and pensioners filed a motion in state court to prevent the city and state from filing for bankruptcy. Their argument is that it violates the state constitution, which holds thqat the state or city can not diminish or stop earned pensions. Although the city filed for bankruptcy in federal court, the state court issued a preliminary order blocking the city's bankruptcy request.

The argument of the pensioners is that by filing for bankruptcy, the city is necessarily reducing, if not eliminating their rights to their pensions. The city would argue that they are not attacking the pensions, but taking a broader step to address 60 years of financial problems, and they can n ot say whether or not the pensions will be affected as a collateral consequence.

While the constitutionality issue may be argued on appeal in the state system, it is believed that the federal bankruptcy court, applying state law, can make a decisive ruling on the issue.

Look for the bankruptcy to proceed.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/22/13 04:13 PM

Its Trayvon Martin's fault.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/22/13 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: bigboy

Quote:

Little Nicky, you hit it out of the park. Couldn't agree more

+1

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/22/13 11:25 PM

Quote:

so the citizens of Detroit all got together and planned to ruin their city?

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: cookcounty

Quote:

so the citizens of Detroit all got together and planned to ruin their city?

Good god you are simplistic. Read the article. Detroit's inhabitants elected corrupt politicians that destroyed their checkbooks, pension plans and development. You know why no one's getting benefits anymore? Ask all the corrupt individuals in Detroit who ran scam after scam and robbed the people. In addition like Little Nicky said, higher taxes to fund these precious pension plans made it a less attractable place to do business. Combine that with the collapse of the auto industry, the white flight and the rise of crime you have a living hell of a city. The nationwide average of a cop arrival after a 911 call is 11 minutes. You know what it is in Detroit? 58 minutes. People set houses on fire for fun! Nature is reclaiming old abandoned parts of the city. Something has to be done and it has to be drastic and personally I think Rick Snyder, whom I admire, is up to the task.
Posted By: vinnietoothpicks26

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 01:54 AM

Little nicky hit it on the head. When are democrats going to realize the inherent corruption that practically comes with your democratic party registration. Look at all the states run by the Republian party. Texas, best economy in the county, very low unemployment; no state income tax. Florida, see texas. Tennessee; see texas.
Now; California, ridiculously high taxes, high unemployment, unfunded public sector union pensions through the roof.
Michigan; see california.
Illinois; see california.

You can truly tell what a political party is like when it is left to its own devices...

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:02 AM

See Texas, Florida and Tennessee for some of the worst public education in the country. Of course they have no taxes. They pay their teachers next to nothing, and they get what they pay for. They also tax the hell out of tourists (at least Florida does), plus Florida has a huge population of taxpayers that don't utilize any of the services, aka snowbirds. And there's low unemployment? Where do they all work? At The Gap? Or The Cheesecake Factory? Places like Florida, Arizona and Nevada were the first states to start the housing debacle, and they still haven't recovered.

I'll pay my high taxes in NY and at least I'll know that my kids will get a decent education and my house isn't going to fall into a sinkhole.

Wow, so ALL minorities just work the system and don't contribute? That's nice. Nope, no racists here.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:06 AM

Sicilian babe. What you just said; proving my point. LIbearls are more concerned with makign people pay their fair share than having a good economy. They don't seem to realize the two are interrelated.
I dont think you understand that high taxes disincentivize investment. Yeah, its easy for New York to tax people becasue everyone want to live there. But for states that dont' have that luxury, they need to incentivise investment, and the best way to do that is lessening the regulatory and tax burdens on entrepeneurs.
Me and nicky grew up in Indiana, and guess what, its not exactly a hot spot for tourism. So to strengthen the economy, Indiana made it more business friendly.

YOu want a good education? Send your kid to private school.

What you said, spoken like a true liberal who has no idea about economics or finance. You probably studied poly sci or philosophy.
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:13 AM

Wow, so ALL minorities just work the system and don't contribute? That's nice. Nope, no racists here.

Enough with claiming everyone is racist when they say non-racist things. It's getting old.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:15 AM

And by the way. New York City was in its best economic shape when Rudy G was running it. He lowered the taxes. Im sure you forgot about that.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:20 AM

Gee, Vinny, that just shows how little you know. I was a business major in college and spent 14 years in economic development, 6 of them as Vice President of my local agency. I worked closely with the Pataki administration during NY's economic heyday and my county had the lowest unemployment numbers in the country. And when I left there, I spent 9 very successful years working in commercial real estate in the sale and leasing of industrial and office space. So, don't ever assume that I don't know about business and economics. I know more than most people.

Yes, incentives work to a point. However, without the infrastructure and demographics to make a business successful, all the incentives in the world aren't going to make a bit of difference. In other words, you can throw all the money you want at a biochemical company, but if you have don't have a highly educated workforce to offer, or excellent infrastructure with no power interruptions, or excellent schools to offer the families of the workers, then you're not going be able to attract high tech business. And that's where the real money is.

Perhaps you can attract WalMart with low taxes and crappy public education. Maybe you can get a job as a greeter.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: vinnietoothpicks26
And by the way. New York City was in its best economic shape when Rudy G was running it. He lowered the taxes. Im sure you forgot about that.

And if you look at my post in the Detroit thread, you will see how much I admire Mayor Giuliani and all he did for the city of NY.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1

Enough with claiming everyone is racist when they say non-racist things. It's getting old.

The original post was edited to remove the remarks about ALL MINORITIES voting Democrat so that they can work the system and freeload. If that's not a racist statement, then I don't know what is. Obviously, the original poster thought better of it and took it out of their post, so don't think I'm making this shit up. It was a racist statement, and they obviously realized it and deleted it from their post.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:27 AM

Sicilianbabe.
Infrastructure to attract workers?
Are you kidding?

Texas, Tennesse and florida attract plenty of workers to the state and they put their kids in private schools. Your opinion is as I said before, based on your living in New York City. A place where you can tax people to kingdom come and they will still live there. It doesn't apply to places that need to incentivize business.
And there is another end to the spectrum of what your talking about.
The fact is, if you look at places like detroit, chicago and california, it hasnt been the friendly business environment and low taxes that have brought about the destruction of their economies.

I dont work as a greeter, I work in the private sector. Unlike you, as you worked in government, so of course you believe the government needs to have a greater hand.

I would never work in Government, I don't want to be apart of a wastful inefficient beuracracy.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:30 AM

Obviously there are pros and cons to both sides of this deal. But I do agree that some of these blue states are running risks of not being able to pay these union pension funds, and other benefits. So you raise taxes right? Well look at Detroit, no revenue was brought it because 1) politicians scammed the money 2) people moved out of detroit more and more, and you can't get dick from taxes when everyone in the inner city is dirt poor. New York won't go that way, neither will Chicago or Philly. But other rust belt cities that are blue and heavily unionized will be at risk, Syracuse being an example.

Southern states have right to work laws. Minimum wage is lower, it's true education is not as good, and there is a larger income gap. However the reason why places like Charlotte, NC and Phoenix, Arizona boomed is because those places are good for retirement and/or for business. When you have lower taxes, right to work laws, and undeveloped land and cities that aren't hampered by unions you'll get more business and attract more people. However, there is a flip side to every coin. I would just be more concerned by towns and cities that can't afford pension plans anymore than Texas, Florida, or Tennessee who are still going strong economic wise.

And SB, Nicky is right, everyone on here has to stop throwing the racism card it's getting annoying

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
I would just be more concerned by towns and cities that can't afford pension plans anymore than Texas, Florida, or Tennessee who are still going strong economic wise.

thank you joe

And you want to talk about the housing crisis? Lets talk about what started it which was a very liberal policy that "everyone should own a house" so lets make it easy as pie to buy one. I am a CPA, I deal on a daily basis with mortgage interest deduction, and I think it is a useful stimulator. But beyond that, the policies taht were put in place by Billy Clinton was what got us into the housing crisis. a DEM

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:48 AM

To be fair a lot of Bill Clinton's policies were good. He was an intelligent man who governed most of the time from the center as a President should. I also don't see a reason why everyone shouldn't be able to buy a house, but within reason. Obviously the technical stuff would be left up to people who knew more about it but we can't have another housing debacle which is what got us in this mess in the first place along with several other factors

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:51 AM

Actually, what got us into the housing crisis was that people leveraged fake equity to buy more and more, literally building houses of cards. The banks were ridiculously lenient with their lending, giving money with little to no collateral to back it up. People were leveraging that fake equity to then buy more homes. When they couldn't sell for enough to pay off the original debt, then the defaults started rolling in.

Sorry, Joe, don't tell me to stop telling the truth. If I see a racist statement, then I'm going to call it a racist statement. Obviously, the poster thought better of it since it has been deleted, but wouldn't it be even better for people to stop MAKING them than people to stop calling them out???

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:57 AM

And, why were people able to get fake equity? Your not contradicting anything I said. If you want to get into a nuanced debate I am more than capable of doing so, but I figured for the purpose of this thread you were merely looking for surface level discussions.
Moreover, you seemed to be adept to make arguments that dont contradict me and just seem to argue for the sake of arguing. I can do the same.

Heres one:
The best way to have a strong economy is free market economics. Keynsian economics that is employed in coutnries like Greece, Britain and France have done wonders. Socialism destroys not only the economy, but the motivation of the individual. Governments limited purpose should be to facilitate the individual in their attempts to be great, not disincentivizing it by making it impossible to make a move without having to fill out 100 forms and comply with nonsensical regulation.
Government has its place, but it should be limited. See Detroit et al.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 02:57 AM

Of course Sicilian Babe. I didn't see the statement so I can't pass down a judgement on it, but it just seems to be that the word "racism" is being tossed around very loosely these days when something might not be at all. Hell I've had three people on here call me a racist within the past two weeks! Nothing could be further from the truth!

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:00 AM

And using the term racist when it doesn't apply is truly a refuge for non thinkers. What I said was true. HOw many minority republicans are there? Why are the vast majority democrats?
The only minority republicans you ever hear about (herman cain, west in florida) get called uncle Tom's. Why? For being different? For being unique? For having hte balls to not fall in line with what everyone else is doing?
I call that a thinking for ones self, not an uncle Tom.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:01 AM

And, Joe, the reason that places like Charlotte are successful is because business sprung up out of the university system. It's called the "research triangle" because the minds that were attracted there for school then spread out into research and development companies. They were smart enough to form a coalition between the University of North Carolina and private business. Excellent economic development strategy, because you will attract and retain an excellent business base with high-paying jobs.

And, yes, infrastructure is critical to business. If you don't have public water, reliable and affordable electricity and excellent highways and other transportation options (shipping, rail, air), you're doomed.

As for private schools, why should I pay real estate taxes and then pay tuition, too? Isn't that what my taxes are for? To pay for public schools? Why wouldn't I want my money's worth?

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:03 AM

Clearly the taxes don't get used for their proper purposes in places run by Dems. Democratic administrations use the money to pay for entitlements; and Im not talkinga bout public educatin. YOu should be mad at the wasteful govenrment for not spending your money properly. And yes, New York is the exception; SEE ABOVE.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:07 AM

And using the term racist when it doesn't apply is truly a refuge for non thinkers. What I said was true.

If you're so proud of your original statement, why did you delete it? Why don't you restate it, word for word?

Joe, I can't speak for other people and I don't understand why someone would say that about you. I think you're a pretty smart guy who always makes interesting and thought-provoking posts.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:13 AM

Another straw man just to contradict. You may like Joe because his ideas more so comport with yours, but me and you, our opinions appear to be mutually exclusive. See above for what I said about minority republicans being called uncle toms. What did Al Sharpton (a highly sophisticated successfull human being) say about Justice Clarence Thomas. Sharpton said he wished "there was a real black man on the supreme court". This is what we are dealing with hear.
Al sharpton, an uneducated fbi informant has the balls to call into a question a mans race who sits on the highest court in this great nation. Who is Al Sharpton?

Answer my question Sicillian. Think about it, dont go into the refuge of name calling, actually think about it.
Why do African American republicans have their race challenged? Why?
Why are 99% of minorities in this country Democrats?

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:14 AM

"And, yes, infrastructure is critical to business. If you don't have public water, reliable and affordable electricity and excellent highways and other transportation options (shipping, rail, air), you're doomed."

That's called a straw-man, because someone is against big government doesnt mean they are for no government at all. All those things are basic classical liberalism (ie libertarism) of about 1900. All those things mentioned are the basic state functions of protection against force, theft, fraud.

The massive government expenditures today (the blue state model) go way beyond those basic roles- into every aspect of life, into regulating every market transaction, into spending massive amounts of money redistributing to others. Entitlements and public sector pensions are the massive costs of modern governments- not fixing pot holes or actually providing government services.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:14 AM

Well thank you Sicilian babe I appreciate it. I think you are a very smart individual as well despite our politics differing at times. I also would like to point out that northerners who moved down to areas like Charlotte had a great deal to do with the rise of the banking industry there. Less taxes, more business, more space and plenty of neighborhoods to raise a family in. Though you are right about the research triangle but that wasn't the only reason

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:16 AM

I'll answer your question when you answer mine. If you were so proud of your original statement, why did you delete? If you stand by it, why don't you restate it?

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:18 AM

They vote democrat for the entitlements. Is that actually up for dispute? Seriously. Thats a racist comment? If its racist, then the truth is racist. Like Dr. MLK said (a great african american, and a REPUBLICAN), "the truth shall set you free."

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:25 AM

Nicky, I was responding to the following that Vinnie had posted:
"Infrastructure to attract business? Are you kidding?" I felt it necessary to explain why those basics are essential.

Nicky, You think I spent 14 years in economic development and don't know about unfunded mandates? Ridiculous amounts of our tax dollars go to fund Medicaid and programs like "No Child Left Behind", which I hope they actually repeal at the next go-around. We are also over-burdened with unrealistic civil pension programs. When someone's pension earnings are actually higher than their salaries were, the system is seriously broken and in desperate need of an overhaul.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:30 AM

They vote democrat for the entitlements. Is that actually up for dispute? Seriously. Thats a racist comment? If its racist, then the truth is racist. Like Dr. MLK said (a great african american, and a REPUBLICAN), "the truth shall set you free."

Yes, it is. Because you said that all minorities vote democrat so that they can work the system, freeload and suck from actual workers.

Yes, that's a racist statement. Because I know LOTS of minorities who work very hard and contribute LOTS to society. I know doctors and teachers and small businesspeople who are minorities. They all work, they all contribute to society, they don't freeload, I daresay that some of them might even be Republicans.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:31 AM

Unfunded liabilities and unfunded mandates are completely different things. One is a political science term relating to federal imposition of legal responsibilities on states regardless of budget constraints and with no federal funds. The other is a finance term to a amount, at any given time, by which future payment obligations exceed the present value of funds available to pay them.

I recommend you research unfunded liabilities- because it actually gives accurate debt pictures rather than the garbage that institutions like CALPERS reports.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:36 AM

[quote=Sicilian Babe
Because I know LOTS of minorities who work very hard and contribute LOTS to society. I know doctors and teachers and small businesspeople who are minorities. They all work, they all contribute to society, they don't freeload, I daresay that some of them might even be Republicans. [/quote]

You just defined cookcounty in a nutshell.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:36 AM

Yes, it is. Because you said that all minorities vote democrat so that they can work the system, freeload and suck from actual workers.

Yes, that's a racist statement. Because I know LOTS of minorities who work very hard and contribute LOTS to society. I know doctors and teachers and small businesspeople who are minorities. They all work, they all contribute to society, they don't freeload, I daresay that some of them might even be Republicans.

Have you heard of the term "on average"? Nobody is saying that everyone is a given group is bad. What is being suggested is people vote for their self-interest- that interest being gaining concentrated benefits and dispersing costs on taxpayers.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:40 AM

We unfortunately have too much of both - unfunded liabilities and unfunded mandates. We cannot possibly sustain the spending on civil pensions and medical benefits (which may actually be killing us more) that we have.

My brother, for example, retired from teaching at the age of 57. God willing, he will live for many decades. However, he receives 2/3 of his salary for the rest of his life, plus for the grand sum of $4500 a year he is able to purchase an excellent medical plan for him and his wife. Cops get the same thing, except they can retire after only 20 years on the job! How can any government possibly sustain that when people are living into their 90s?

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:44 AM

Nicky, please, you didn't see the original statement, so you can't really comment. The original statement specifically used the words "ALL" in caps, just like that, and said that ALL minorities live to freeload and suck their livelihoods off of workers. That's racist. Period.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:46 AM

In CA, most cops/firefighters/prison guards GET 90 percent of the average of final three years of salary. Can you imagine not working but collecting 90 percent of your pay?

It's insane we have defined benefit pensions plans anywhere in the US today. They are ticking time bombs in modern markets. Its the reason we can't build roads or fill pot holes- but we will pay for these pensions for the rest of our lives and our children's lives. Or until bankruptcy.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:48 AM

@vinnietooth

what in the fuck does al Sharpton have to do with detroits problems?

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:51 AM

Because Al is apart of the racist politics that destroyed cities like Detriot.

Quote:

So this bankruptcy is sad. But it was, in a sense, inevitable — the final chapter in Detroit’s long slide from glory. Maybe this will be the kind of shock therapy the city needs, the hammer blow that gets the remaining residents to stop living in the past, recognize that the old Detroit is never coming back, and start making the painful sacrifices necessary to build a new, smaller city with what’s left.

I hope so. But somehow I doubt it. If we Detroiters have one fault, it’s that we are addicted to nostalgia and living in our highly selective view of the past.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 03:52 AM

And do those unfunded liabilty issues exist in states historically controlled by the republican party?

Which states have the strongest economies by in large? STates that are more business friendly.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 04:26 PM

And do those unfunded liabilty issues exist in states historically controlled by the republican party?

Which states have the strongest economies by in large? STates that are more business friendly.

There are multiple reasons Detroit went under, and althought there are paople with various agendass who fit them to the situation there is no single cause. Paul Krugman has some good words on this.

As for the assertion that businesses like "business friendly" states, that is totally true, but then again what is "business freindly to one type of business is not so friendy to others. For example after all the textile industry moved from the South to Asia, there were a bunch of poor states with lots of low to mediaum skill labor who would jump at the chance to make cars, so you see an exodus from Michigan and you see all the foreign car companies moving in to South Carolina, Mississippi, etc, where there is no union protection, low wages, low taxes, etc. This is "business friendlt" for the auto manufacuring industry. Banking on the other hand, and all financial trading does better in New York, and the whole DC-Boston corridor. Why? Because the best schools and culture are there, and their employees demand that standard of living. It is more costly, but overall it is more "business friendly" to that kind of business. Ditto for the Northwest and Northern California where much of the hi tech stuff is. Again, a climate amenable to people in that industry, good schools, laid back lifestyle....business friendly for that kind of business. I could go on but the point is made. When words like "business friendly" start getting tossed around it leads some ignorant people to think it means low taxes and no regulation. This is not the case in all business, and so it should not become a clarion call for the "no gevernment" agenda favored by the tea baggers.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 04:41 PM

Dontomasso: while I agree with most of your statement I would like to point out that places like New York and Boston can afford that kind of living because they have a large tax base and different sources of income. Detroit has neither of those things which is why they cannot afford their bloated pension plans. In addition unions can cause serious problems for business, which is why so many people moved down south or west. Frankly, I'm more concerned with rust belt cities that are moving in the same direction as Detroit than cities and states with right to work laws and low unemployment

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 05:20 PM

Joe ..Point taken. All you have to do is drive through Pennsylvania and see the devastation of the rust belt. Other than Philadelphia and Pittsburg the place is poverty stricken.

While I agree the unions share in the blame for the collapse of Detroit, I also do not understand how they did not diversify. You have the U of Michigan right there.. one of the greatest schools in the country, yet they under used it as a resource.

I also blame the car manufacturers. From 1960 forward they produced crappy products, and it opened the door for Euroopean and later Japanese cars to come in and take over the market.

IMHO it was a perfect storm of poor management and poor labor practices.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 05:35 PM

It's a mystery DT. You know the research triangle is a great boon to North Carolina. It's one of the reasons why it's still a place of growth even right now. I also think corrupt politics had a great deal to do with Detroits fall.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 05:42 PM

Yes the triangle in NC is also appropriately positioned. It is in a beautiful part of the country and has Duke and UNC to support the intellectual growth.

No question about corruption in Detroit.

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 06:04 PM

NC state ain't a bad place either. Wake Forest is also a fantastic school. Detroit needs a complete facelift in order for it to come back. That includes Rick Snyders decision to declare bankruptcy. It's the right thing to do

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 08:14 PM

There are multiple reasons Detroit went under, and althought there are paople with various agendass who fit them to the situation there is no single cause. Paul Krugman has some good words on this.

As for the assertion that businesses like "business friendly" states, that is totally true, but then again what is "business freindly to one type of business is not so friendy to others. For example after all the textile industry moved from the South to Asia, there were a bunch of poor states with lots of low to mediaum skill labor who would jump at the chance to make cars, so you see an exodus from Michigan and you see all the foreign car companies moving in to South Carolina, Mississippi, etc, where there is no union protection, low wages, low taxes, etc. This is "business friendlt" for the auto manufacuring industry. Banking on the other hand, and all financial trading does better in New York, and the whole DC-Boston corridor. Why? Because the best schools and culture are there, and their employees demand that standard of living. It is more costly, but overall it is more "business friendly" to that kind of business. Ditto for the Northwest and Northern California where much of the hi tech stuff is. Again, a climate amenable to people in that industry, good schools, laid back lifestyle....business friendly for that kind of business. I could go on but the point is made. When words like "business friendly" start getting tossed around it leads some ignorant people to think it means low taxes and no regulation. This is not the case in all business, and so it should not become a clarion call for the "no gevernment" agenda favored by the tea baggers.

Northern California is the only thing keeping California above water. Sylicon valley is all entrepreneurial start ups, not big ass companies with big pensions. Or public sector unions that bankrupted the state.

The only reason entrepreneurs go there is because they are 100% liberal. They don't go there because its business friendly. If you took away the weather, you have Detroit. Shit, the rest of California is going to shit with all the public sector entitlements, pensions and a huge welfare state in general. And that's with the weather.

Are you seriously arguing that there is ANY type of business that prefers high taxes?

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/23/13 11:39 PM

What are you talking about Don? CA ranks as among the worst public schools systems in the country in almost every metric except money spent. Granted there are good universities there, especially the private universities like Stanford and SC.

There is doubtful causation between school expenditures (ie justification for high taxes) and the performance of schools. Most goes to pensions. If there were a causation, 30 years of massive federal government spending would have increased performance instead of test scores remaining flat or failing over the last few decades.
Posted By: Caramela77

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 07/26/13 11:02 PM

What about Woodward Corridor nice place...
Posted By: lic

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 08/13/13 04:02 PM

herd detriot was trying to sell of there zoo and its animals too try and recoop, idoubt all the exotic animals yu seel will make up billions of dollhiars...
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 08/13/13 05:00 PM

My wife bought me the book THE LAST DAYS OF DETROIT for my birthday but I have yet to start reading it!!
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Detroit Bankrupt - 08/30/13 10:36 AM

There are a myriad of reasons for Detroit's problems. Bad politicians, segregration, poor education, poverty, lack of jobs, overreliance on one industry, globalization, tax abatements, poor property tax collection, low tax base,suburban sprawl, crime, etc. It's not something that happened overnight. From a purely mathematical standpoint this was predictable a decade or so ago.

However the Michigan constitution does protect public pensions. The Fire and Police pensions are not in fact underfunded. Orr has made some very questionable actuarial assumptions to make that argument. And he will be fought on that. The average retiree pension is roughly $19,000/yr. Public employees do not receive Social Security.

SE Michigan is indeed one of if not the most racially segregated areas in the country but it's been that way since before I was born or before Detroit had its first black mayor. I know that some have glee over Detroit's issues but it's too simplistic to say that this is solely because of political leadership. The previous take over of the school system by the state turned a surplus into a deficit so of course people are leery of outside management. There is justifiable concern that the bankruptcy will be used to line pockets, strip assets and leave the citizens even worse off than they were before.

If there is a choice between cutting benefits for retirees and reducing profits for bondholders I know where I would be.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET