Home

Vacation

Posted By: NickyEyes1

Vacation - 06/02/13 06:05 PM

Now that it's summer are any of you going on vacation? Where to?
I'm going to NYC and can't wait! Any New Yorkers have any suggestions?
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 06:07 PM

Where are you staying, Nicky?

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 06:12 PM

Waldorf Astoria!

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 06:12 PM

Very nice, son. Is your whole family going?

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 06:16 PM

Yeah! Looking forward to the pizza

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 06:18 PM

When are you coming?

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 06:23 PM

This month
Posted By: olivant

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 06:23 PM

This August I will journey over to Fla. and PA to visit family. In the interim I will be teaching a couple of classes while my wife vacations. She visits one of our daughters in Oregon for several weeks at a time. As they've done for years they journey up to the San Juan Islands and Alaska (Thus, I am left alone with beaucoup of coeds - the possibilities abound!).

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 06:26 PM

What part of Florida, Oli? East coast, west coast, central Florida?

We normally don't go down during the summer, but you never know. If you're going to be anyhwhere near Palm Beach County let me know.
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1
Any New Yorkers have any suggestions?

Might as well visit Ground Zero if you havent already. Catch a Yankee or Mets game if their in town. Consider doing a boat tour (especially the ones that show BK bridge, and the Statue of Liberty).
Posted By: fathersson

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
This August I will journey over to Fla. and PA to visit family. In the interim I will be teaching a couple of classes while my wife vacations. She visits one of our daughters in Oregon for several weeks at a time. As they've done for years they journey up to the San Juan Islands and Alaska (Thus, I am left alone with beaucoup of coeds - the possibilities abound!).

Some one shake Oli awake...he left the dvr on again with those college party video running.....he is dreaming about coeds again.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
What part of Florida, Oli?

Jacksonville. My sister lives there.

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
What part of Florida, Oli?

Jacksonville. My sister lives there.

Hot as hell in the summer. Check out the Amelia Island-Fernandina Beach area. Nice town, cool beach bars, restaurants and whatnot. Even for old farts like us.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 10:01 PM

Not that you need to but does Americans ever travel out of the US..
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Vacation - 06/02/13 10:30 PM

Waldorf Astoria!

That's my favorite hotel. There's something about the history of the place that is unbelievably charming. Also, their breakfast buffet is a delight.

I suggest dinner at Becco, which is owned by the Bastianich family. Lidia Bastianich is a TV chef. The food is very good, and the nightly pasta special is the best buy in NY.

If you go to Chinatown, the food at WoHop is ridiculously inexpensive, although it's not authentic, more Chinese-American. You can also visit Little Italy and have a nice pastry outside, but Little Italy is really Chinese now.

If you're downtown, I love the view at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park, so stop and have a drink. My other favorite place was the Rainbow Grill, but it's closed now. So sad.

Apart from the obvious tourist things like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building and so on, try and buy tickets to a Broadway show at the discount booth in Times Square. I would also recommend Sunday brunch on either the World Yacht or the Batueaux.

http://www.bateauxnewyork.com/

http://www.worldyacht.com

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 12:28 AM

Thanks for all the tips SB!
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 01:11 AM

Nicky, you should do a search on places to visit in NYC. There have been many such requests here, and many good ideas. smile

We're going to Boulder CO to visit our son and his family in July. In August, Mrs. Turnbull is going to NJ to visit relatives. I'll be going to Vegas. wink
Posted By: GoldenEagle

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 02:22 AM

Just got back yesterday from Orange Beach, Al. Even though the weather has been pretty hot here down south the ocean was still a little cold. The waves were as big as I have ever seen them. If anyone is ever looking to vacation in that area I recommend any of the Phoenix properties. Their condos are top notch.

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 02:28 AM

We're not going anywhere this summer. The weather is so great here and we have the pool, we really have no desire to leave.
Posted By: fathersson

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 02:43 AM

Just got back from VEGAS BABY

Was in the high 80-90's but felt like 70's with the dryness

and the gals out there are a site to see!
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 03:04 AM

Leaving in a couple weeks to go to KY for a family reunion and a little 4 wheeling then go to VA to get good sugars from Dylan.
Posted By: Danito

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 07:54 AM

Baltic Sea.
New York next year.

Oh, and what De Niro said... wink
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 09:08 AM

My usual week in Scotland, spend time with my extended family. Next year however we are breaking with tradition and going to Malta for our holiday!!
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Not that you need to but does Americans ever travel out of the US..

Yes. I've been to Ireland, Jamaica and several of the Caribbean, as well as Canada and mexico on a few occasions. Since we've had kids, our vacations mostly have centered around the Jersey shore. It's not a hassle to get there; it's relaxing and fun for the family, and you can do a thousand different things or nothing at all.

My sons will be taking separate trips to the shore with friends this summer. My midle son graduates high school tomorrow and he and many from his class will head to the Maryland shore on Saturday for a week of fun.

I'll be in Boston in August, and the family decided to spend some extended time in New England. Boston was my old stomping grounds in the late 1980s, and I'll have to visit my old residences in Newton and Watertown. we'll spend some days on the Cape and Martha's Vineyard.

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
Leaving in a couple weeks to go to KY for a family reunion and a little 4 wheeling then go to VA to get good sugars from Dylan.

Nice, Miggie! Baby Boy Dylan smile.

We went up to Lake George for Memorial Day weekend. It was FREEZING. Came back to a heatwave. Go figure confused.

August is iffy for us because my mother in law has been very sick. But I'd love to head out to California. I have an uncle in Palm Desert who I haven't seen in a few years, and Vegas is just a hop, skip and a jump away. But we'll play it by ear, I guess.

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
we'll spend some days on the Cape and Martha's Vineyard.

Love, Love, LOVE the Vineyard, Klyd. I honestly think I could live there. I've had locals up that way tell me I'd go batshit in the winter, but they've never been to the Bronx lol.
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 04:45 PM

Love, Love, LOVE the Vineyard, Klyd. I honestly think I could live there. I've had locals up that way tell me I'd go batshit in the winter, but they've never been to the Bronx lol.

The locals ain't lying PB. You would go batshit in winter. I kid you not there is NOTHING to do on Cape Cod from December to about late April. It's just old people and their bridge nights lol no offense. Of course even funnier is that you're under the median age of 55 so technically you're still young here tongue
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: GoldenEagle
Just got back yesterday from Orange Beach, Al. Even though the weather has been pretty hot here down south the ocean was still a little cold. The waves were as big as I have ever seen them. If anyone is ever looking to vacation in that area I recommend any of the Phoenix properties. Their condos are top notch.

We had a very pleasant time in Orange Beach about 20 years ago. Stayed at a property called the Perdido Hilton then.

Orange Beach was hit very hard by Katrina? Has it been rebuilt? Or is there still a lot of damage?

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

The locals ain't lying PB. You would go batshit in winter. I kid you not there is NOTHING to do on Cape Cod from December to about late April. It's just old people and their bridge nights lol no offense. Of course even funnier is that you're under the median age of 55 so technically you're still young here tongue

Smartass lol.
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 06:22 PM

i'm gonna try and make my way down to the outer banks this summer, at least for a weekend. we used to go every year when i was younger, and i've only been back for a single night a few years ago to see a few buddies. the fishing is great there! the beaches aren't all that crowded in most of the resort towns, and they are actually clean, unlike the dumpy jersey shore. they treat adults like adults there. want a fire on the beach? no problem. want to enjoy some adult beverages, ditto! wink

i will also definitely be spending some time in west virginia. lots of fun stuff to do down there! lots of great great atv riding and fishing in and around george washington national forest. i might even enjoy some un-needed, not necessary, end of the world, high capacity assault style death dealing killing machines, known to rational people as guns! lol there's something very soothing about that clean, fresh mountain air, natures valium! cool

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 07:49 PM

My brother has a house out on the Cape, and we haven't been there in several years. He's been bugging us to come for another visit, but I find the drive a bit of a nightmare, not to mention those horrible flies. And why go to the ocean if the water is too cold to swim in?
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
i'm gonna try and make my way down to the outer banks this summer, at least for a weekend. we used to go every year when i was younger, and i've only been back for a single night a few years ago to see a few buddies. the fishing is great there! the beaches aren't all that crowded in most of the resort towns, and they are actually clean, unlike the dumpy jersey shore. they treat adults like adults there. want a fire on the beach? no problem. want to enjoy some adult beverages, ditto! wink

i will also definitely be spending some time in west virginia. lots of fun stuff to do down there! lots of great great atv riding and fishing in and around george washington national forest. i might even enjoy some un-needed, not necessary, end of the world, high capacity assault style death dealing killing machines, known to rational people as guns! lol there's something very soothing about that clean, fresh mountain air, natures valium! cool

We went to the outer banks a couple years ago had a blast. I feel the same way you do FF. We love going to the mountains of KY. Great 4 wheelin on a strip mine. The view is so beautiful.
Posted By: jace

Re: Vacation - 06/03/13 11:28 PM

Vancouver Canada is one of most beautiful places I ever saw. I was there twice as a child, intended to go back this summer, still might make it if I can work schedule out. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Vacation - 06/04/13 02:29 AM

Go to spumonis so you can tell all your chicago friends about NY pizza and how much better it is!
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Vacation - 06/04/13 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
My brother has a house out on the Cape, and we haven't been there in several years. He's been bugging us to come for another visit, but I find the drive a bit of a nightmare, not to mention those horrible flies. And why go to the ocean if the water is too cold to swim in?

Don't go in July Sicilian Babe. The flies are the spawn of the devil himself. They literally go Kamikaze at your head. But June and August are really nice months. As for the water, ya kinda have to toughen up and just jump in smile
Posted By: SC

Re: Vacation - 06/04/13 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Skinny
Go to spumonis so you can tell all your chicago friends about NY pizza and how much better it is!

Spumoni Gardens ain't what it used to be, but if you're already in Brooklyn it is still worth a trip.

FWIW - I ate a lot of Chicago pizza back in the '70s and there were a lot of really good places. It's what you get used to... I was raised on NY thin style in the '50s (the height of pizzerias growth in NYC) and I prefer that BUT I also could eat deepdish and enjoy it now.
Posted By: GoldenEagle

Re: Vacation - 06/04/13 03:36 AM

Orange Beach did not really get hit by Katrina. It was Ivan that hit the area real bad. There was a tremendous amount of damage from Ivan. They tore down all the damaged condos and resorts and built new, nicer condos in their place. You would never be able to tell a hurricane even hit that area.

Re: Vacation - 06/04/13 03:53 AM

Which bourogh has the best pizza? I'm assuming Brooklyn or Bronx?
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Vacation - 06/04/13 11:08 AM

Which bourogh has the best pizza? I'm assuming Brooklyn or Bronx?

lol "Brooklyn for the weekend ehh? "
Posted By: goombah

Re: Vacation - 06/04/13 02:08 PM

Going to Hilton Head in two weeks. Will be with two other friends and their families. Cannot wait to hit the beach, relax, and spend QT with everyone.

Re: Vacation - 06/04/13 06:54 PM

Great golf on Hilton Head, Goom.

Who wants to have some fun?!

Posted By: goombah

Re: Vacation - 06/04/13 07:37 PM

Great golf on Hilton Head, Goom.

Who wants to have some fun?!

I could only be so lucky to hit a whale. This is more the way I see it happening if were to golf in HH, Pizza Boy:

Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Vacation - 06/04/13 09:57 PM

I live 7 miles from the beach - Margate, NJ. I'm 10 miles from Atlantic City, so with my limited vacation time, I will take a few beach days. We have family come for visits - convenient house and location - so I'll spend time with them; beach days and some boardwalk time. Also playing with the grandkids in ocean is great fun. My big vacation days are over and that's Ok with me.

Re: Vacation - 06/05/13 01:27 AM

I'm heading upstate on Friday (Finger Lakes region) for my fifth year college reunion. A bunch of my frat bros will also be there along with lots of other friends, so it will be just like old times. Besides the usual school sponsored events like wine tastings, tours, etc we will probably be getting a few kegs, have some nice ladies over, music (Manilow, Marley, Sinatra, Jay-Z, etc), beer pong, and do some grilling on the back porch of our red brick mansion which overlooks Seneca Lake. Also bringing up a box of Cohibas to share with the crew. Probably do some 3am skinny dipping with some ladies after coming back from the bars. I plan on "borrowing" a golf cart and having one of the current frat boys ferry our intoxicated butts around campus and downtown. We made arrangements for them to pick us up from the airport when we touch down. The local police turn a blind eye to most of the shenanigans during reunion weekend, plus it does help we are real good friends with the top fireman in the town and he will be partaking in these festivities as well.

Plan on bringing back some good wine for my parents from the area. I am getting hyped just writing this, I took a week off from the office so I will have enough recovery time before my return lol. Cant drink/party like I used to in college thats for sure.

Also plan on heading out to visit a buddy of mine in Weston, Connecticut for the weekend. Enjoy the pool, sauna, booze, cigars, grilling, and the local Connecticut cougars on the prowl for cubs.

I'm also looking into visiting Philly for a weekend to visit a buddy. I went last summer for the first time (I made a thread about my visit) and really enjoyed it.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Vacation - 06/05/13 01:40 AM

DD,Sounds like a well planned party hardy get-a-way. wink Any vacation or fun trip I made when I was working I'd refer to as a "therapy run". lol

Have a good time DD

TIS

Re: Vacation - 06/05/13 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
DD,Sounds like a well planned party hardy get-a-way. wink Any vacation or fun trip I made when I was working I'd refer to as a "therapy run". lol

Have a good time DD

TIS

Thank you TIS. smile I been looking forward to this weekend for a while. Even though I am only in my mid-twenties, I rarely plan/take vacations. Everything (besides family) takes a backseat to my career aspirations. I recently started a new assignment in NJ, and made sure to ingratiate myself with the higher-ups and get their blessing to take this time off.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Vacation - 06/05/13 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Have a good time DD

TIS

Thank you TIS. smile I been looking forward to this weekend for a while. Even though I am only in my mid-twenties, I rarely plan/take vacations. Everything (besides family) takes a backseat to my career aspirations. I recently started a new assignment in NJ, and made sure to ingratiate myself with the higher-ups and get their blessing to take this time off.

Suck on some double DD's son you have my blessing panic
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET