Home

Dialect Map

Posted By: Lilo

Dialect Map - 05/13/13 11:31 AM

Everyone outside of SE Michigan talks funny as far as I am concerned. rolleyes smile
Speak American son!!!

American Dialect Map
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Dialect Map - 05/14/13 02:24 PM

I never thought of MI as having a dialect, like say Eastern States or Southern states. Of course if dialect isn't necessarily an accent, I guess that would make a difference.

I don't think people here in CA have an accent/dialect, yet when I first moved here especially, a couple people said they could tell from my accent that I wasn't from CA. confused What?

TIS
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Dialect Map - 05/14/13 03:24 PM

I was checking out at a local supermarket here in the Harrisburg area when the older woman at the cash register asked where I'm from. I told her the name of the nearbyu neighborhood where I live, but she asked where I was originally from, and I answered, "the Scranton area," which is about two hours north.

She said, "I know that. I mean what town." So I told her the name of the borough next to Scranton where I was raised, and she said that was her guess as she grew up in the same town some 25 years before me. She thought my accent was peculiar to the town even though many people from my home area haave told me my accent isn't the most typical for the area.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Dialect Map - 05/14/13 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
I was checking out at a local supermarket here in the Harrisburg area when the older woman at the cash register asked where I'm from. I told her the name of the nearbyu neighborhood where I live, but she asked where I was originally from, and I answered, "the Scranton area," which is about two hours north.

She said, "I know that. I mean what town." So I told her the name of the borough next to Scranton where I was raised, and she said that was her guess as she grew up in the same town some 25 years before me. She thought my accent was peculiar to the town even though many people from my home area haave told me my accent isn't the most typical for the area.

She was just hitting on you... smile
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Dialect Map - 05/14/13 09:50 PM

This map is awesome thanks Lilo!
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Dialect Map - 05/14/13 09:51 PM

Do you say My mom or My Mum like the pittsburgh natives " My Mum said get JOoooB"

Re: Dialect Map - 05/14/13 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Do you say My mom or My Mum like the pittsburgh natives " My Mum said get JOoooB"

Pittsburgh is way over on the other side of the commonwealth from where I grew up. I always called my mother, "Ma," though most use the familiar "mom." My area is known for some doozies when it comes to local pronounciations. The regional dialect is affectionately called Coalcracker.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Dialect Map - 05/14/13 10:43 PM

Pittsburgh is way over on the other side of the commonwealth from where I grew up. I always called my mother, "Ma," though most use the familiar "mom." My area is known for some doozies when it comes to local pronounciations. The regional dialect is affectionately called Coalcracker.

Yeah I forgot that is northern,pa
Posted By: Mark

Re: Dialect Map - 05/14/13 10:55 PM

I think it is obvious which part of The United States speaks proper English, my friends...

Re: Dialect Map - 05/14/13 11:12 PM

[quote=klydon1]I was checking out at a local supermarket here in the Harrisburg area when the older woman at the cash register asked where I'm from. I told her the name of the nearbyu neighborhood where I live, but she asked where I was originally from, and I answered, "the Scranton area," which is about two hours north.

Speaking of that, I and my siblings always called my mom "ma" and yet my daughters always call me "mom". I think perhaps "ma" is Michigan and "mom" Californian dialect? confused

One time when I first moved here to CA, I was subbing in the office of a high school. I used the term "nippy" to indicate it was a little cool. The principal says, "you can tell you're not from around here." lol

TIS

Re: Dialect Map - 05/15/13 12:55 AM

I can hear very slight almost non-existent accents in these two politicians' voices but they are from North and West Michigan. But when I played a recording of Stabenow for a friend of mine from NY she thought it was the funniest accent. And she was from Yonkers... rolleyes

Stabenow Speech

Snyder Speech

Re: Dialect Map - 05/15/13 01:38 AM

Lilo,

They both speak pretty much normal as far as I'm concerned but yea, Stabenow has a slight accent of some kind. smile

smile

TIS
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Dialect Map - 05/15/13 09:24 AM

I have always referred to my mother as ma, although mam is the normal term here. Always called my old man Pops, which is more of a US expression, but it just stuck to him!!
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Dialect Map - 05/15/13 01:08 PM

Kly comes from "the Valley" where you can order tick or tin crust pizza, buy a pound of hamburg at the Ack-a-me, pick up some fil-em for you camera and have a catch with your friend named Choe (as in Namath).....hain'i Kly? tongue

Re: Dialect Map - 05/15/13 01:14 PM

In the Philadelphia / South Jersey area, they pronounce draw and saw with an "l" at the end - drawl and sawl. Drives my daughter nuts. As an English teacher from the New York suburbs (where we speak correctly), she tried to correct her 8th grade students. No luck.

Re: Dialect Map - 05/16/13 09:28 AM

As a native of north east England i would never mock anybodys twang, seeing as mine is probably the most unintelligible known to man lol

Re: Dialect Map - 05/16/13 09:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
As a native of north east England i would never mock anybodys twang, seeing as mine is probably the most unintelligible known to man lol

Is this similar to yours, Yogi? smile

Re: Dialect Map - 05/16/13 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Lilo

Is this similar to yours, Yogi? smile

Well he is laying it on a bit thick, but it's close tongue

Re: Dialect Map - 05/16/13 11:28 AM

When I went to England on business, I interacted with folks from different parts of England. I did notice different accents. When we got together for dinner, these chaps would rib each other about the areas they came from; something we do in the states too. The chaps from the north did have a bit of a Scottish sound to their accent.

Re: Dialect Map - 05/16/13 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas

Kly comes from "the Valley" where you can order tick or tin crust pizza, buy a pound of hamburg at the Ack-a-me, pick up some fil-em for you camera and have a catch with your friend named Choe (as in Namath).....hain'i Kly? tongue

Next time we meet, I'll buy ya a cuppla two chree 'otdahgs, one wid relick one wid not. smile

Re: Dialect Map - 05/17/13 01:13 PM

When I went to England on business, I interacted with folks from different parts of England. I did notice different accents. When we got together for dinner, these chaps would rib each other about the areas they came from; something we do in the states too. The chaps from the north did have a bit of a Scottish sound to their accent.

Us hardy northern types are so close to Scotland we have even started to sound like them smile

Re: Dialect Map - 05/17/13 01:14 PM

Next time we meet, I'll buy ya a cuppla two chree 'otdahgs, one wid relick one wid not. smile

That makes perfect sense to me. Perhaps i am sort of linguistial genius?? rolleyes
Posted By: Mark

Re: Dialect Map - 05/17/13 11:00 PM

Yogi - what do they call the Brits who speak like: "The rine in Spine fowls minely own the pline?" I saw it in a movie or something, didn't I?

Re: Dialect Map - 05/18/13 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark
Yogi - what do they call the Brits who speak like: "The rine in Spine fowls minely own the pline?" I saw it in a movie or something, didn't I?

That sounds like southerners Mark. Cockneys who are from London, or possibly Brummies, who come from Birmingham. That expression is quite common here, but i have no clue where it comes from originally!!!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET