Home

A Black Pope

Posted By: Viceguy

A Black Pope - 03/13/13 09:50 AM

I'm curious what the reaction would be to a non-white pope. Not necessarily black, but Asian, etc. I;m not Catholic but what do you think would be worldwide reaction? What about yours?
Posted By: RichieAnimal

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 11:33 AM

What a moron you are. The pope is the pope I guess what color he happens to be only matters To a dog like you
Posted By: Camarel

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 11:49 AM

I couldn't care less rolleyes
Posted By: SC

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: RichieAnimal
What a moron you are. The pope is the pope I guess what color he happens to be only matters To a dog like you

Was the name-calling necessary? If you can't respond in a civil manner, don't respond at all.

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 11:57 AM

Sc the poster is a bigot. Maybe what I said bothered you because your a bigot
Posted By: SC

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 12:02 PM

Wrong. Let's make it official now; you've been warned against making flaming remarks. You won't be warned again.
Posted By: Camarel

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 12:38 PM

He actually said in apost in the OC section that he's black but i'm not sure if he was being serious tbh.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 12:45 PM

Not concerned about whether the pope is white or black. More concerned about whether the smoke is white or black.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 12:47 PM

Well, I don't know Viceguy but I think it's a fair question and was not worded improperly at at all. confused

As far as I'm concerned it makes NO difference. I don't think worldwide it would matter either. Here, in the U.S. maybe to some it will matter, but hopefully that's a minority.

smile

TIS
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 02:22 PM

It shouldn't matter, but to say it won't to some people is naive.

Yesterday I was in Dunkin Donuts near Pelham Bay Park, which was historically a very Italian neighborhood but much more diverse today. Anyway, I'm getting my coffee and a couple of old timers were sitting there bullshitting and I couldn't help hear one of them quip that if they elect a Black Pope it might be "time to look into The Jehovah's Witnesses."

They were yukking it up pretty good. They were all so old and grandfatherly that it almost seemed good natured until you really took it in. I mean, how do you call yourself a Catholic and even joke about such a thing?

If it happens, it will bother some people. For sure.
Posted By: olivant

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 03:54 PM

As PB states, a non-white Pope would matter to some Catholics (and others, perhaps). Racial and ethnic prejudice crosses many lines including those of religion.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 04:14 PM

If the US president is Non White, then anything is possible.
Posted By: fathersson

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
If the US president is Non White, then anything is possible.

Skin color is just that color. It doesn't make the man, Pope or women. Only who they are really matters.

Hate covers all colors! and in all directions!

and the best line for this thread- "YOU CAN"T FIX STUPID!"

God Bless whoever the new POPE turns out to be!
Posted By: Mignon

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 05:36 PM

Not being Catholic it don't bother me who gets picked. I just hope the panel who picks the Pope will pick one who is qualified.

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 05:46 PM

The selection of a Pope should be important to all. The Pope is not only the Catholic Church's highest prelate, but he is also a head of state. Just one example to keep in mind: without the assistance of Pope John II, the downfall of Communisim in Poland and eastern europe (and ultimately the Soviet Union)might not have taken place or might have been pushed further in to the future if it took place at all.

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 05:54 PM

Check out "Shoes of the Fisherman" staring Anthony Quinn it's on netflex now. It's long 2 and half hours, but it's good.

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 06:09 PM

White smoke now

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 06:09 PM

NBC is reporting white smoke.
Posted By: Danito

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 06:13 PM

Original geschrieben von: olivant
without the assistance of Pope John II, the downfall of Communisim in Poland and eastern europe (and ultimately the Soviet Union)might not have taken place or might have been pushed further in to the future if it took place at all.

I think that's what the Vatican wants us to believe. Yes, John Paul II was a symbol for the opposition in Poland. But the revolution/collapse would have taken place anyway.
Posted By: Viceguy

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 06:18 PM

Thanks to all who replied. Very interesting. Question of this type always produce quizzical responses being it is still a cause of bitterness, resentment, and often unquestioned sentiments. I assure all I meant no offense and was seriously interested in what thoughts it would provoke.

While it should not matter, my mama is black, my daddy is black, so I guess I'l be black till I die (not that there is anything wrong with it wink ). Again, thanks for all responses.

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Viceguy
While it should not matter, my mama is black, my daddy is black, so I guess I'l be black till I die

More than likely.
Posted By: SEAN_SOUTH

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 06:25 PM

The next Pope will be Italian I'm fairly sure of it. I was hoping maybe the Irish fella but I don't mind really.

My mother just called to give me the news she's like a child in a candy store jumping up and down so excited she is about this.

Looks like an Italian by the sounds of it, good luck to whoever it is.

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 06:27 PM

How long did it take to vote for one?

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 06:36 PM

Two days I think. It hasn't been announced officially yet but I think it should be an Italian pope. Any moment now.

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 06:39 PM

I feel bad been because I've been to the Vatican half a dozen times and it's literally breathtaking, maybe even life altering. But as I watch this live on television all I keep picturing is Michael Corleone and Cardinal Lamberto lol.

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 06:43 PM

PB When I hear the word Vatican I think of the Vatican Bank LOL

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 06:46 PM

Okay, I admit it. My sentimentality is taking over.

I'm thinking of my long deceased grandparents and I'm kinda rooting for the Italian guy blush.

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 06:48 PM

Of course I'd also be thrilled if an American got it, but that's a long shot.

Anyway, God bless whoever it may be smile.

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 06:50 PM

Bring back the Papal States!
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 07:17 PM

Pope Francis, from Argentina

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 07:18 PM

We have an Argentinian Pope. Cardinal Bergoglio.

And he's white (I'm only posting that because of the title of this thread smile ).
Posted By: fathersson

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
We have an Argentinian Pope. Cardinal Bergoglio.

And he's white (I'm only posting that because of the title of this thread smile ).

are you sure? lol

Latino?

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 07:25 PM

He's from Argentina. Guess I got it wrong. But he sounds kinda Italian to me. There's a Mario in there somewhere anyhow. Guess he's an Italian-American of the Latin kind.

Anyway I'll just bode a swift God Bless and with an "Amen to that" will now raise a toast to the new Pope of Cardinal Village:)

Salud!

Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Is this the first time a Pope was selected outside of europe?

Here's a pic:

Re: A Black Pope - 03/13/13 07:27 PM

He has taken the name Pope Francis the First. He's 76 years old, which is about par for the course. And he's a traditional Catholic conservative on matters of abortion and same sex marriage, although he stresses acceptance of everyone.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET