Home

Government & Politics

Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Government & Politics - 12/05/12 12:04 AM

For everything political not involving a cliff or a President.

Now this is great potential news because...umm...ehh...*drinks from water bottle*...umm...

Will Herman Cain primary challenge Chambliss for his Georgia Senate seat?

http://www.nationalmemo.com/could-he...to-the-senate/

~White Georgians voting for a black guy? Times a-changin!

Posted By: klydon1

Re: Government & Politics - 12/05/12 12:33 AM

That is still painful to watch. You can feel his discomfort with everything "twirling" in his head. I'm not sure what my favorite moment was. I like the line that he would have assessed the situation differently, but still might end up with the same result. But at the end he admits that while he would have assessed it differently than the President, he has no idea as to how the President assessed it.

I guess Cain would have assessed it by finding Libya on a map first. It was a good thing he had Rick Perry in the race at the time, so he didn't seem as moronic as he was.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/05/12 03:09 AM

Whether it's boldly predicting (and incredibly wrongly) that your network's candidate will win a landslide, or throwing a temper temper tantrum on live TV against your networks' own vote-counters, you can't humiliate the channel.

Fox News banning Karl Rove and Dick Morris (Temporarily)

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/12/fox-news-puts-karl-rove-on-the-bench.html

Re: Government & Politics - 12/05/12 11:20 PM

Congress votes to rid "lunatic" from federal law

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57557392/congress-votes-to-rid-lunatic-from-federal-law/
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Government & Politics - 12/05/12 11:25 PM

Ok, I admit, I didn't know what the article was referring to until I read the article. I can understand why they would.

However, my first thought was "yea, they're gonna get rid of all the lunatics in congress." lol

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 12/06/12 04:11 AM

The House today passed a bill where Ex-Presidents and their spouses will get lifetime Secret Service protection detail. Originally that was a perk of office, but in '94 Congress passed a law giving them protection for only 10 years after leaving office in part to save money. The bill supporters claim the War on Terror, and Dubya/Obama are relatively young when they left or will leave office, demanded this reform.

Did it really? Ex-Presidents have lucrative post-office careers from book deals to speaking fees to investments. Surely they can afford their own bodyguards?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congres...150.html?hp=l24

Re: Government & Politics - 12/06/12 05:09 AM

Mexican Supreme Court unanimously rules against Gay Marriage Ban

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/06/mexican_supreme_court_rules_for_marriage_equality/

Re: Government & Politics - 12/06/12 06:24 AM

Is this our first Election '16 ad? "Tribute" video aired at a foreign summit that the departing Secretary of State addressed.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/06/12 03:41 PM

South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint is quitting to run the Heritage Foundation.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323501404578161613763222762.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet
Posted By: Danito

Re: Government & Politics - 12/07/12 12:53 AM

Original geschrieben von: ronnierocketAGO

You can see already where it's going, when he starts: "OK....., Libya."

Re: Government & Politics - 12/07/12 11:55 PM

The times are changing. Thatcher would be rolling in her grave that a Tory PM said this. Wait, she's still alive?

UK Prime Minister backs Gay Marriage

Quote:
British Prime Minister David Cameron says he supports same-sex marriage, but says he would not force religious groups and churches to hold ceremonies for LGBT couples.

"I'm in favor of gay marriage, because I'm a massive supporter of marriage, and I don't want gay people to be excluded from a great institution," Cameron said in a new interview with Channel 4 News, before going on to note that religious leaders should

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/07..._ref=gay-voices

Re: Government & Politics - 12/08/12 02:55 AM

The US Supreme Court has decided to hear challenges to the Defense of Marriage Act, and a challenge to California's ban on same sex marriage through Proposition 8.

While I expect the Supreme Court to declare DOMA unconstitutional as a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment (I'll predict a 7-2 vote), it will be interesting to see the standard of review and whether they decide the matter narrowly or render an opinion as to whether the Fourteenth Amendment precludes states from limiting marriage to heterosexuals.

The California challenge is an appeal from the Circuit Court's finding that California's ban of same sex marriage is unconstitutional in that it violated the CA Supreme Court's earlier decision allowing same sex marriage. It is possible that the US Supreme Court may decide this matter on the same narrow issue of whether a voter referendum can invalidate a state supreme court decision. Then again, the Court, if it desires, may issue a broader ruling on whether states have the constitutional right even to preclude same sex marriages.

I believe that it is only a matter of time before the Supreme Court decides that the Equal Protection Clause precludes states from barring same sex marriage. If they use the pending California case to render such a decision, it will be very ironic that Proposition 8, designed to prevent gay marriage, will have been the launching pad for invalidating all statutory and constitutional bans on gay marriage throughout the country.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Government & Politics - 12/08/12 05:20 AM

Kly, I think the Court could base it's DOMA decision on Article IV: Full faith and credit. What do you think?

Re: Government & Politics - 12/08/12 06:32 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
Kly, I think the Court could base it's DOMA decision on Article IV: Full faith and credit. What do you think?

I'd be a little disappointed if the Court limited its analysis to the Full Faith and Credit Clause. Certainly there are unresolved issues of the application of Article IV to the issue of gay marriage, which need to be addressed. While it certainly applies to man/woman marriages without equivocation, courts have not required states that oppose gay marriage to recognize same sex marriages performed in other states.

Limiting the decision on Article IV grounds would allow the Court to avoid making a sweeping determination on Fourteenth Amendment grounds, and would let the thirty-something states that passed state constitutional amendments and legislation forbidding gay marriage keep their provisions intact.

One of the pending matters involves a woman, who married her female companion legally before the companion died. As a result, under DOMA she was not recognized as a spouse and had to pay inheritance tax of more than $300,000 in estate taxes where, had her companion been a husband, she would not have had to pay any tax at all. This scenario, I believe, calls for equal protection analysis.

Another reason the Court might decide the case narrowly on Article IV, I think, is that it might be unwilling to define a standard of review for gay rights cases. Some feel that strict scrutiny, which is used for reviewing cases that involve racial issues or fundamental rights should apply while others might feel that intermediate scrutiny, which is applied in gender cases, should apply.

The Court historically doesn't like to take leaps, so if these cases result in a constitutional right for same sex marriage at this time, it would represent an event similar to Brown.

How do you see these cases playing out, oli?

Re: Government & Politics - 12/08/12 06:59 AM

We must remember it's not all of DOMA being scrutinized but merely Section 3.

I just don't believe SCOTUS will go full judgment on SSM generally, or even DOMA as a whole maybe, sweeping as many want to believe or mistakenly interpret. Nevermind that the issue is in fluid, with the American mainstream progressively in support. (3 state referendums favoring it last month, and another rejecting a ban on it.) The recently re-elected President, and leader of 1 of the two major political parties, has endorsed it. Over 50% popular support in the last Gallup poll, but still a divisive issue.

(A good example was in Maryland, where it was passed by a squeaker. Numerous counties that went heavily for Romney supported the measure, so even on the local level Republican voters in a blue state (if not their elected officials from their party) support it now.)

If DOMA is struck down, at least from my interpretation of this story, Gay Marriage will stay and continue being a state's rights issue, except a license issued in say New York would be honored in rest of the nation. If DOMA is confirmed, then the status quo continues unless a Congressional bill (or Constitutional Amendment) is passed.

I despise DOMA. If you've read my political rants, you'll probably realize that I do support Equal Rights fully. But besides that, DOMA just rapes and shits upon the whole damn concept of Federalism, when it comes to states respecting each other's laws. No it was a discriminating bill, establishing a "Morality Quarantine" across America. Passed by totaltarian religious fundamentalist bigots, signed into law by a cowardly President Clinton afraid of losing re-election, and unfortunately supported by the public.

I do wonder if Hillary runs for President again in 4 years, will Bubba be forced to give a public mea culpa on DOMA to help Hillary in the primaries?
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Government & Politics - 12/08/12 09:44 PM

Charlie Crist, Democrat. You can't make this shit up. I guess another of his houseboys is about to out him. Only in Florida, man. Only in Florida lol.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/07/charlie-crist-democrat_n_2260975.html

Re: Government & Politics - 12/09/12 12:36 AM

I know Skinny Vinny (whenever he comes back from his post-election day self-exile) will intensely disagree with what I'll say, but Rick Scott is a crook. If Crist and his interesting political history (to say the least) can beat him, then I'm all for it.

I just find it strange that in a state with higher than national average unemployment rate, Republicans keep getting re-elected to the Governor's mansion. Last 16 years so far.

Of course it could be worse. Republicans haven't won the Washington governorship since 1980.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/09/12 10:28 PM

A master of reading the tea leaves. This interestingly (conveniently?) comes out after both Washington and Colorado legalized pot, and the Obama administration reportedly possibly going to crack down on those states.

Bill Clinton: War on Drugs “Hasn’t Worked”

http://gawker.com/5966825/bill-clinton-says-war-against-drugs-hasnt-worked

Posted By: Frank_Nitti

Re: Government & Politics - 12/11/12 06:17 PM

Protests in Michigan: 'Americans for Prosperity' group trapped inside tent as it is torn down by violent union mob in right-to-work protests today.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/11/12 07:09 PM

Hey Lilo,

What the heck is going on in Michigan? Fill us in when you can. Are you in Lansing? wink

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 12/11/12 07:35 PM

How the FUCK does Michigan, a Democratic stronghold, become a right-to-work state? confused

Republican majority assholes. Plain and simple. And I'm not being partisan. I'm not even really a Democrat anymore. I'm more like a jaded Independent.

But I was a Teamster: a driver, a steward, and finally a business agent, for a total of 25 years. And this just hits me right where I live mad.

http://news.yahoo.com/protesters-march-michigan-capitol-over-vote-054656984.html

Re: Government & Politics - 12/11/12 08:09 PM

pb, its times and situations like this that you can't be just a "jaded independent."

Re: Government & Politics - 12/11/12 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
pb, its times and situations like this that you can't be just a "jaded independent."

As far as ideology goes, you know where my heart is, Ronnie. I'm just a lot older than you and out of patience with these assholes. You'll get there too one day, believe it or not smile.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/11/12 08:27 PM

Well being born/raised in MI, I am definitely interested. As I understand it, this Governor also designated "city managers (I think that's what they were called) and booted out elected officials to put these people in charge of Benton Harbor & I think Detroit.

Seriously Lilo, keep us (or me) posted on the on-the ground activity there as you see it. smile

I want to call my siblings but in recent years my brother and I are opposite politically which surprises the hell out of me. uhwhat I don't want to argue with him Yet, in this case, with all of us former school employees and IN unions, I am curious as to his opinion.

smile

TIS
Posted By: Scorsese

Re: Government & Politics - 12/11/12 08:48 PM

Not very familiar with this subject but what exactly is the problem with having the right to work bill?

Re: Government & Politics - 12/11/12 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

As far as ideology goes, you know where my heart is, Ronnie. I'm just a lot older than you and out of patience with these assholes. You'll get there too one day, believe it or not smile.

Already ahead of the curb on you, Grandpa.

I do find it odd if the unions are able to bring that measure into a ballot initiative since that's what the anti-gay marriage peoples have done whenever SSM bills are passed by state legislatures and gay rights groups moan at the idea of civil rights being up for vote on the ballot.

Just odd, nothing more.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/12/12 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Scorsese
Not very familiar with this subject but what exactly is the problem with having the right to work bill?

Right to work means the individual has the right to apply for work, at any legal wage, without any preconditions of Union membership. And if Democrats don't have the Union support in elections, they probably don't have a chance at winning an election ever again.

Most Democrats and Progressives are in politics to promote their own financial self interests, just like everyone else.

Thus you can file me in that jaded Independent category, too.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Government & Politics - 12/12/12 10:14 AM

How the FUCK does Michigan, a Democratic stronghold, become a right-to-work state? confused

Republican majority assholes. Plain and simple. And I'm not being partisan. I'm not even really a Democrat anymore. I'm more like a jaded Independent.

But I was a Teamster: a driver, a steward, and finally a business agent, for a total of 25 years. And this just hits me right where I live mad.

http://news.yahoo.com/protesters-march-michigan-capitol-over-vote-054656984.html

People fell asleep. panic

Re: Government & Politics - 12/12/12 10:17 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Well being born/raised in MI, I am definitely interested. As I understand it, this Governor also designated "city managers (I think that's what they were called) and booted out elected officials to put these people in charge of Benton Harbor & I think Detroit.

Seriously Lilo, keep us (or me) posted on the on-the ground activity there as you see it. smile

I want to call my siblings but in recent years my brother and I are opposite politically which surprises the hell out of me. uhwhat I don't want to argue with him Yet, in this case, with all of us former school employees and IN unions, I am curious as to his opinion.
smile
TIS

See pictures of protests here and here

Re: Government & Politics - 12/12/12 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Scorsese

It sounds good. Right to work yes? Increase choice and all that.
The issue is that in the first place it's an intrusion of the government into an employer/employee relationship. Usually conservatives oppose this. That they often support right to work laws should tell us who such laws are likely to assist. Hint..not workers.

It is already illegal to be forced or coerced to join a union.
U.S. private sector union membership is at all time lows.
Even in Michigan which is ground zero for the modern industrial labor movement total private and public sector union membership is around 17-18%.

What right to work laws do is attempt to use individual incentive and interest to defund the union. See, when a union wins the right to represent workers it can not legally restrict benefits, wages and working conditions to dues paying union members. That's against the law. Companies normally pass on whatever they give to union workers to non-union workers in an attempt to limit or prevent union growth.

So there is an incipient "free rider" problem. If you can get the benefits without paying the costs, why wouldn't you?
So unions not only collect dues from members but are also legally allowed to get "fair share" of costs of representation from non-members on the job.

Right-to work laws indicate that these fair share/union dues may no longer be automatically collected. If you don't want to pay your union dues or your fair share, you don't have to do so.

This means worker A who hates unions but enjoys a union standard of living doesn't have to pay for it any more. Worker B is a union man thru and thru but is also nobody's sucker. So he may tire of paying for his cost and worker A's as well. So eventually he stops paying. New workers see no benefit to joining the union and so don't. Over time the union loses the financial ability to do ANYTHING. And just as importantly as fewer people are actually IN the union, the union loses the political and legal ability to represent workers at the workplace. So goodbye union. And then the company is free to show a different side of its personality to its workers.

Unions are not nation states of course but imagine if the US had similar laws around taxes. If people could decide that they didn't want to pay taxes for national defense but also didn't want to leave the US, eventually the national defense system and finally the US would crumble. This is classic free rider economics.

The states who have adopted "right to work" laws tend to be states with worse outcomes for workers.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/12/12 10:49 AM

Governor Snyder ran as a conservative leaning technocrat, not a hard right ideologue. He had previously said that the issue was divisive and that he had no plans to sign a "right to work" bill.

This bill can't be repealed thru referendum because the Republicans were smart enough to attach an appropriations to it. Our constitution does not allow appropriations bills to be repealed via referendum. The only way to change this is to get rid of Snyder and a rather sizable number of Republicans in the 2014 election. But The North Remembers and I think people will be angry enough to do just that.

Ironically the proximate cause for all this may not have been anything in Michigan at all. Wisconsin Governor's Scott Walker's successful trimming of collective bargaining rights in Wisconsin worried Michigan union people so much so that they tried to amend the Constitution to place collective bargaining in it and not just take Snyder's word that he wouldn't do what Walker did.

Well Proposal 2 failed. So this right to work legislation, is by Snyder's own words something of a payback. Snyder evidently felt personally betrayed. And Republicans were emboldened by the failure of Prop 2.

BTW Scott Walker doesn't support right to work legislation...

Re: Government & Politics - 12/12/12 12:52 PM

And to add to Lilo's comments, don't forget Unions are one of the biggest groups that basically supports Demos. IF the Republicans can succeed in eliminating them, at least financially, the Dems lose their financial support. That's their bottom line.

I believe Synder did this so quickly (and sneakily) NOW because he, like all the Republicans, seemed so shocked that they lost the election, that this is a panic payback.

Btw Lilo, does this law apply to ALL unions (nurses, police, etc) or just the auto workers? I assume it's all of them.

smile

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 12/12/12 01:12 PM

Btw Lilo, does this law apply to ALL unions (nurses, police, etc) or just the auto workers? I assume it's all of them.

smile

TIS

TIS, the only unions exempted were first responders (police, fire and emergency personnel). Everyone else is impacted.
Coincidentally the exempted unions tend to be more conservative than the teacher's and auto unions. Hmmmmmmmmmm. rolleyes

Re: Government & Politics - 12/12/12 07:25 PM

Wow, that was rather thorough explanation of Unions, and Organized Labor does sounds pretty great principally, ideally anyone would like to join a Union if possible.

The problem is that while the philosophical debate on this will continue, people who can do a job cheaper and better will simply always put others out of work. Blacks who were willing to accept a lower wage have been putting white Southerners out of work since the days of sharecropping. Hispanics in the Southwest are virtually the only people you'll ever see at urban construction sites.

Businesses (and populations) from the North have been flocking to the South and West since the 1950's (at the advent of the air conditioner) and before, for its lower taxes, less regulation, cheaper work supply, etc. Northern industries have to find a way to keep up.

These Mid West states have historically been somewhat isolated in terms of demographics, especially compared to the South, where major Unions are virtually implausible given the size and diversity of the population.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/12/12 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Lilo

smile

TIS

TIS, the only unions exempted were first responders (police, fire and emergency personnel). Everyone else is impacted.
Coincidentally the exempted unions tend to be more conservative than the teacher's and auto unions. Hmmmmmmmmmm. rolleyes

This was exactly the case in Wisconsin a few years ago, and reveals the true intent of the law. Out of one side of the mouth they argue that unions are bad, ruin professions, slow economic progress, but somehow unions for police, prison guards and fire personnel are good.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/12/12 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
but somehow unions for police, prison guards and fire personnel are good.

Yeah, because cops fireman and prison guards vote Republican. And prison guards shouldn't get a vote. They're far too stupid whistle.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/12/12 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank_Nitti
Wow, that was rather thorough explanation of Unions, and Organized Labor does sounds pretty great principally, ideally anyone would like to join a Union if possible.

The problem is that while the philosophical debate on this will continue, people who can do a job cheaper and better will simply always put others out of work. Blacks who were willing to accept a lower wage have been putting white Southerners out of work since the days of sharecropping. Hispanics in the Southwest are virtually the only people you'll ever see at urban construction sites.

Businesses (and populations) from the North have been flocking to the South and West since the 1950's (at the advent of the air conditioner) and before, for its lower taxes, less regulation, cheaper work supply, etc. Northern industries have to find a way to keep up.

These Mid West states have historically been somewhat isolated in terms of demographics, especially compared to the South, where major Unions are virtually implausible given the size and diversity of the population.

Ehhh, prior to 1865 most Black Americans had zero control over their labor and didn't work for wages. But even before the end of slavery and in the five to six decades following its end you can find tons of black leaders and intellectuals inveighing bitterly against the importation of cheap White and Asian immigrant labor that was crowding out black workers. WEB DuBois had quite a lot to say about this in the 1920s.

I do agree that the ultimate issue is that capital wants cheap powerless labor period. At first that's slavery; later it's immigrants. The faces change and the legal structures improve but the demand is the same.

The reason imo that unions never took off in the South was that the South had a particular history of violence and racism that made interracial unions very unlikely if not down right illegal. Even when white workers formed unions, racism meant that they excluded blacks, who could then be used as reserve labor by white captialists. A love of cheap labor, greater agrarian nature and legal (and extra legal) restrictions made organizing in the South very difficult, not that organizing in the North was any bed of roses.

The way I see it there are two competing polarities of thought. One states that the free market will create the best results for the most people with minimal interference. The other states that the free market has limits.

Obviously I'm closer to the second than the first. I don't think that unions are perfect or make sense in every situation. But a) unions b) torts and c) government regulation are three important bulwarks to the safety, health and welfare of American workers and citizens. From my perspective, it seems like Republicans in general and conservatives in particular are extremely opposed to all three. I don't think that's good for most people.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/13/12 03:39 AM

AP: Illegal Immigrant/registered sex offender Interning For Sen. Menendez Arrested

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/govt-arre...s-172b-november

Re: Government & Politics - 12/13/12 03:47 AM

Protests in Michigan: 'Americans for Prosperity' group trapped inside tent as it is torn down by violent union mob in right-to-work protests today.

Was that the tape Fox News showed?

Just asking.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/13/12 03:49 AM

A master of reading the tea leaves. This interestingly (conveniently?) comes out after both Washington and Colorado legalized pot, and the Obama administration reportedly possibly going to crack down on those states.

Bill Clinton: War on Drugs “Hasn’t Worked”

http://gawker.com/5966825/bill-clinton-says-war-against-drugs-hasnt-worked

Another ex-POTUS weighs in:

Jimmy Carter: ‘I’m In Favor Of’ Decriminalizing Marijuana

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/jimmy-carter-im-in-favor-of-decriminalizing-marijuana

Re: Government & Politics - 12/13/12 06:47 AM

Seems losing ones head was trending today

WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEO.
Video: Syrian Rebels Make Child Behead Prisoner

The clip shows a child hacking away at the head of a bound prisoner with a machete. The video then cuts to militants displaying the man’s severed head while chanting “Allahu Akbar”. Other beheaded prisoners can also be seen in the footage.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/17/12 05:26 PM

Haley to appoint Scott to fill S.C. Senate seat

By NBC's Luke Russert and Frank Thorp

Updated 11:23 a.m. - South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) will appoint U.S. Rep. Tim Scott (R) to fill Jim DeMint's Senate seat, multiple Republican sources have confirmed to NBC News.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/18/12 01:39 AM

NBC's Richard Engel is missing in Syria

Re: Government & Politics - 12/18/12 01:48 AM

I heard about it this afternoon and am really worried about it. frown I love Richard Engel. He is one brave "on the scene" reporter.

I know in his line of work, he/we must realize he takes chances and something like this is always possible, but still I hope he's ok. I remember him reporting from the battlefield somewhere in the Middle East (can't remember exactly where)a year or two ago. There was gunfire right by him, as he's ducking & reporting. uhwhat

Thing is, I've only seen very short stories that he's missing and nothing else. I haven't even seen it reported on tv which surprises me. Even on MSNBC where he reports from time to time, they haven't said a word. Anyway, if anyone hears anything, please post. I pray he's ok.

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 12/18/12 02:47 AM

Senate Pro Tempore Daniel Inouye (D-HI) has died of respiratory ailments. He was 88, been representing Hawaii for 50 years short a month. Previously he was that state's first Congressman as the at-large district.

Two hours after the announcement of his passing, the Senate voted Patrick Leahy (D-VT) as the the new SPT as the now longest serving member of the Senate majority party. And now of course 4th in the Presidential succession line.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Government & Politics - 12/18/12 10:32 AM

From a UK perspective, the Lib Dems have been replaced as the third biggest party here by the UKIP. I hope Clegg and his moronic cronies are enjoying their 15 minutes of fame as Tory stooges because come the next election they will be lucky to get a single seat. It could be the biggest political cull ever seen in this country.

Good riddance to the middle of the road, namby pamby, smarmy bullshitters as well i say mad

Re: Government & Politics - 12/18/12 03:27 PM

I am happy to hear that Foreign correspondent report, Richard Engel IS safe. smile

Evidently, they were not physically tortured but their captors did use psychological torture.

Engel said that they were traveling with Syrian rebels when a group of about 15 gunmen “jumped out of the trees and bushes” and captured them.

Full story:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/...s-in-syria?lite

TIS
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Government & Politics - 12/21/12 04:03 PM

Wtf. Ben Affleck to run for Senate ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/20/ben-affleck-senate-run_n_2340787.html

Re: Government & Politics - 12/22/12 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Camarel

Pipe, meet dream.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/22/12 06:24 PM

Also rumor that actress Ashley Judd will go for Mitch McConnell's senate seat.

smile

TIS
Posted By: EastHarlemItal

Re: Government & Politics - 12/22/12 06:26 PM

If she wins it would be worth watching CSPAN!

Re: Government & Politics - 12/22/12 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: EastHarlemItal

LOL CSPAN is far from exciting tv, BUT it does usually give live (tho be it boring), accurate political goings-on without leaning either way IMHO. smile

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 12/23/12 04:51 AM

Will you use lube instead of a remote?

Re: Government & Politics - 12/23/12 12:04 PM

Ronnie your a complete cry baby! Anytime you disagree with someone you attack them! That's a sign of weakness my friend. You sound like a real jerkoff with your responses.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/23/12 06:05 PM

Ronnie your a complete cry baby! Anytime you disagree with someone you attack them! That's a sign of weakness my friend. You sound like a real jerkoff with your responses.

"Complete"? You mean there are incomplete cry babies? Like they only cry out of one eye/tear duct?

Re: Government & Politics - 12/23/12 06:27 PM

Like I said your a Jerkoff!
Posted By: SC

Re: Government & Politics - 12/23/12 06:47 PM

Ignore him if he bothers you that much but stop the name calling.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/23/12 06:49 PM

10-4

Re: Government & Politics - 12/24/12 03:25 AM

Don't drink and vote.

Idaho Senator busted for DUI

Quote:
Idaho Senator Mike Crapo was arrested Sunday morning in Virginia for driving under the influence of alcohol, CBS News reports.

Crapo, who was one of a handful of Republicans to work with Democrats to resolve the "fiscal cliff," reportedly ran a red light in Alexandria, then "underwent several field sobriety tests, which he failed."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpolitics/senator-mike-crapo-arrested-for-drunk-driving

Re: Government & Politics - 12/25/12 06:43 PM

Seriously, Senator "Crapo?" Holy Crapo lol What a heck of a name to get suck with.

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 12/28/12 06:24 PM

The New York Times reports that yesterday was the first time in 42 years that there have been roll call votes in Congress during the week between Christmas and New Year's Day.

"The House and Senate have held numerous pro forma sessions during the week between Christmas and New Year over the years, and in 1995 during a major budget battle. But the last time they held roll call votes that week, before Thursday, was during the second session of the 91st Congress, in 1970, amid a large spending fight and a filibuster over financing for a supersonic transport plane."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/28/us/pol...p&_r=1&

Re: Government & Politics - 12/31/12 01:42 AM

Hillary Clinton in hospital for blood clot following earlier concussion

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/201...blood-clot?lite
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Government & Politics - 12/31/12 02:08 AM

My husband's theory is that she actually had a mild stroke, not a concussion, and this is the cover story.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/31/12 02:09 AM

Sounds Plausible!

Re: Government & Politics - 12/31/12 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

My husband's theory is that she actually had a mild stroke, not a concussion, and this is the cover story.

I didn't think of that. Wow, I hope not but yea it would make sense.

smile
TIS
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: Government & Politics - 12/31/12 03:09 AM

I would be shocked if that was the case. In this day and age, it would be nearly impossible to keep such a secret from leaking out due to social media/the internet and people (hospital staff, administration officials, her staffers, etc) always looking to make a buck or get a story out there.

But then again it could be possible...unlikely...but plausible she had a stroke.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/31/12 10:19 AM

I have to agree with DD. How can you cover up something like that in this TMZ epoch we're living in? Rex Ryan and Tim Tebow can have a "private" meeting and in hours the whole world knows what they talked about.

Re: Government & Politics - 12/31/12 03:15 PM

I'm not suggesting that Clinton had a stroke. But actually it is much harder today to get information about a medical event or condition of a famous person than it was 10 years ago because of HIPAA privacy regulations.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 12:47 AM

update:

Quote:
Doctors treating Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said that she "suffered a blood clot in a vein between her brain and skull behind her right ear but predicted that she would make a full recovery," the New York Times reports.

"Her doctors said in a statement on Monday that the clot did not result in a stroke or neurological damage and that she was being treated with blood thinners."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/us/hil...tml?hp&_r=0

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 12:48 AM

update:

Quote:
Doctors treating Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said that she "suffered a blood clot in a vein between her brain and skull behind her right ear but predicted that she would make a full recovery," the New York Times reports.

"Her doctors said in a statement on Monday that the clot did not result in a stroke or neurological damage and that she was being treated with blood thinners."

Cover up!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 01:14 AM

update:

Quote:

Cover up!

You serious? A cover up? confused

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 01:15 AM

If it came out that it was a stroke it would hurt her chances to run for President in 2016! Wouldn't you agree?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 01:20 AM

TIS

TIS, don't feed the troll. Then again these same folks screaming cover-up (remember "Benghazi Flu" as they dismissed it?) where it was a scam, nothing happened to avoid testifying, now scream something did happen.

Whatever. They and the Loose Change folks need to pow wow sometime and have brunch.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 01:22 AM

TIS

TIS, don't feed the troll. Then again these same folks screaming cover-up (remember "Benghazi Flu" as they dismissed it?) where it was a scam, nothing happened to avoid testifying, now scream something did happen.

Whatever. They and the Loose Change folks need to pow wow sometime and have brunch.

Same folks? Had zero opinion on the topic! Didn't personally have the facts. I'm not like you Rocket Man. There is more in life to me than the (D) or (R) aside of someone's name!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 01:31 AM

At this point I have no reason not to believe what the doctors reported on Hillary.

Back to politics tho, RR and those following, looks like we might be going off the fiscal cliff. Then again, a deal might come about at 11:59 p.m. tonight. What do you think? confused

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 01:34 AM

No idea TIS. I can't decide if the President folded or he's cobbled together the best deal he could with the idea that if his bluff fails (make the GOP vote for or against it), well he still gets the glory and make the GOP concede on raising taxes.

Again, I don't know.
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 01:36 AM

There is more in life to me than the (D) or (R) aside of someone's name!
sadly, most here don't understand that. criticizing D doesn't = R! Rocket, why don't you try and expand your horizons beyond the left vs right game, might do you some good! oh, i forgot, your spiel on this site is the goofy guy who is still politicaly aware despite all his silly behavior. newsflash, heard it all before, so try another angle and maybe you might get more credability outside of your partners in crime here.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
There is more in life to me than the (D) or (R) aside of someone's name!
sadly, most here don't understand that. criticizing D doesn't = R! Rocket, why don't you try and expand your horizons beyond the left vs right game, might do you some good! oh, i forgot, your spiel on this site is the goofy guy who is still politicaly aware despite all his silly behavior. newsflash, heard it all before, so try another angle and maybe you might get more credability outside of your partners in crime here.

Second the motion!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 02:04 AM

No idea TIS. I can't decide if the President folded or he's cobbled together the best deal he could with the idea that if his bluff fails (make the GOP vote for or against it), well he still gets the glory and make the GOP concede on raising taxes.

Again, I don't know.

MSNBC is reporting an agreement has been reached but not yet voted on. VP Biden is on his way to the White House. We'll see. smile I say what's the hurry, still got almost three hours. lol

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 02:10 AM

Dude you're just pissed because I said some not so nice things about your precious guns. Who knew that one thing would become such a cancer with your conciousness? We disagree, boo hoo.

Now that's a newsflash.

I give your post 2 out of 5 stars.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 03:15 AM

She will be in the hospital until her blood thinner level is within a certain range, and not before. It can take several days, so I'm not sure about that 48 hour timeframe.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 03:55 AM

She will be in the hospital until her blood thinner level is within a certain range, and not before. It can take several days, so I'm not sure about that 48 hour timeframe.

Does she run in 2016? Hate to admit this, she was a great Sec of State! Tough as nails, played her cards smart! Our cards sorry! Libya was a tradegy, things were blown out of proportion for politics. Poor families
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 04:13 AM

I never did like her but I wish her a speedy recovery.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
[quote=Sicilian Babe]She will be in the hospital until her blood thinner level is within a certain range, and not before. It can take several days, so I'm not sure about that 48 hour timeframe.

I never did like her but I wish her a speedy recovery.

Not a big fan either! However I do feel she did a good job!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 06:14 AM

If you're wondering why people are still yelling at the top of their lungs a hour after the ball at Times Square dropped, its liberal blogs screaming bloody murder at the White House.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 05:16 PM

Anybody who compares the President to Chamberlain really really needs to abstain from their little self-constructed bubbles and re-enter reality.

Meanwhile, House Majority Leader Cantor says no decision has been made whether the House will actually vote on the Fiscal Cliff compromise bill today.

EDIT -

Quote:
The speaker reportedly feels that he will have a hard time selling the bill. Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-KS), one of the members who helped kill Boehner’s “Plan B” budget proposal, has already said he will oppose the bill.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/senate-passes-higher-tax-rates-on-rich-to-avert-fiscal-cliff-crisis/

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 06:07 PM

Club for Growth has come out against the compromise.

EDIT - so has Heritage, FreedomWorks, and FRC.

I bring this up because as both sides do have these special interest groups, there is real difference: Liberals hated the compromise, yet 51 of the 89 votes passing it were Democrats, who control that chamber. Traditional American politics when the Party in the White House with chamber leadership use their muscle to get something passed even if the party body aren't fond of it. They'll grumble about Obama caving in, but so what? They're not going to do anything about it.

On the other side, the special interest groups have clear more power and influence than the party chamber leadership itself in the House. It's why Jim DeMint quit the Senate to run Heritage.

If the House GOP doesn't hold a vote today, they'll get massacred in the papers tomorrow. I think Boehner's escape route is to just hold an up and down vote. Sure it'll break that precious Hastert Rule, but so what? Make the Dems try to carry this bill since I'm not sure there'll be enough House GOPers to vote for it to passage on their own.

Mind you this compromise, in a reality ignored by the leftist blogs, has NO Spending cuts but raises taxes.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 10:24 PM

The House needs to approve this compromise by Thursday or then they have to start all over as that is when the new Congress in sworn in... this whole thing just continues to get interesting.

Ronnie, what do you think of the deal?

Krugman hit the nail on the head when he said this, IMO. He was referring to Obama's insistence on $250K and estate taxes.

“Anyone looking at these negotiations, especially given Obama’s previous behavior, can’t help but reach one main conclusion: whenever the president says that there’s an issue on which he absolutely, positively won’t give ground, you can count on him, you know, giving way – and soon, too,"

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/the-worlds-worst-poker-player/

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/conceder-in-chief-2/

Sad thing is this whole brinksmanship thing will happen again when the debt ceiling needs to be increased in a few months. Even for a political junkie like myself, I am tired of all this shit. Makes me glad I came back to NYC and didnt go to DC when I finished business school last May.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 11:06 PM

Krugman is the sort of liberal who's never been happy with Obama no matter what, short of him storming Congress and coming out with Boehner and McConnell's heads on his pike. The knee-jerk ideologue sort.

Until otherwise proven wrong, I'll stick by my pet theory that the President decided to make as good of a serious compromise deal with the idea that the details (i.e. raising taxes) would keep the House GOP from passing it (Which so far is proven to be true today) and be stuck as an even bigger loser in the public sphere than they would if that last minute compromise hadn't been hashed out.

If this poison pill didn't do that job, then well at least the White House can fly the PR victory flag of saving America from the Crisis and continue this fight for another day. Not a Grand Bargain as much as using up leverage to hopefully win either the short, or long game. (Of course I do agree with the POV that this is more a Curb than an actual Cliff but nevermind.)

If the House GOP did pass this but with amendments, which would mean the Senate would have to approve that new version, quite frankly if I'm the Democrats I would tell them to drop dead. Pass this bi-partisan bill, the one sanctioned by your party's Senate leader and 30+ GOP votes, that we passed last night or no deal, and we start all over in 2 days. Oh and the Fiscal Cliff will not be averted. And all the Bush Tax Cuts would go bye bye. And you get stuck with the blame. We've done our part, now do yours.

Some locals whined at me earlier for playing this partisan game (just like their representatives), but here's a honest assessment: Do the GOP want their shit sandwich with bread or not? This is why Lindsey Graham implored his colleagues in the House to hold their nose and pass the thing, fight to live another day. He wants bread.

Of course this pet theory is contingent on that no matter what, the Democrats don't reconvene the Senate tonight or tomorrow and tell the House GOP to choke it or be dismissed as the extremists who just screwed the nation in this crisis. If the Dems "cave" again (or for real this time), then Krugman might have a point.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 11:24 PM

Some more from Kruggie...

"On the principle of the thing, you could say that Democrats held their ground on the essentials — no cuts in benefits — while Republicans have just voted for a tax increase for the first time in decades.

So why the bad taste in progressives’ mouths? It has less to do with where Obama ended up than with how he got there. He kept drawing lines in the sand, then erasing them and retreating to a new position. And his evident desire to have a deal before hitting the essentially innocuous fiscal cliff bodes very badly for the confrontation looming in a few weeks over the debt ceiling.

If Obama stands his ground in that confrontation, this deal won’t look bad in retrospect. If he doesn’t, yesterday will be seen as the day he began throwing away his presidency and the hopes of everyone who supported him."

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 11:28 PM

Looks like a House GOP power struggle for the speakership is in the making between Paul Ryan, John Boehner, and Eric Cantor.

"House GOP sources said that Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.), a leader of the conservative wing and a potential threat to House Speaker John Boehner, is expected to vote against the Senate deal if it comes to the floor, breaking the leadership unity that existed around Boehner's "Plan B." And Republicans leaving the meeting said that Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), Boehner's leading rival, spoke against the bill, BuzzFeed's John Stanton reported.

"Leadership is currently listening to the members so as to figure out the best path forward," Cantor spokesman Doug Heye said.

Cantor told CNN's Deirdre Walsh flatly, "I do not support the bill," and said no decisions have been made on how to proceed.

Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.) told the National Review's Robert Costa that there are "real divisions" between Boehner and Cantor, and that Cantor was vociferous in his opposition, with the upcoming leadership elections hanging over the meeting. He said that conservatives were heartened to see Cantor take on Boehner in front of the entire conference."

Update on the House vote for the compromise

A House GOP leadership aide mapped out House Speaker John Boehner's plan forward: See if the 218 votes are there to amend the Senate-passed bill to add in spending cuts, and if the answer is no, hold an up-or-down vote on the Senate-passed bill.

From the aide:

"The Speaker presented his members two options. The first would be to make an amendment to the Senate bill that would add a package of spending cuts. The Whip will do a whip check on this spending cuts amendment after the meeting. If we can get the commitment of 218 votes on this amendment, we will bring it to the floor and send it to the Senate. The Speaker and the Leader both cautioned members about the risk in such a strategy. They told them there is no guarantee the Senate would act on it. If we cannot get the commitment of 218 votes tonight, we will bring up the Senate-passed measure for an up-or-down vote in the House. "

The Senate has already skipped town

The Senate adjourned until noon on Wednesday, which means if the House does alter the fiscal cliff deal, there is no chance the Senate would follow suit today.In any case, Democrats there say they wouldn't take it up anyway.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/01/13 11:41 PM

No offense to Mr. Krugman, but those paragraphs lean on whineyness based solely on stylistic satisfaction over, you know, substance. He admits as much. They want to bash that Republican's head in, as if to be relieved of decades of self-perceived impotence or something.

I'm actually kinda surprised by the split in the House GOP leadership between Boehner and Cantor today. I've referenced Cantor allegedly gunning for his boss's job and cracked jokes about it, but I'm still surprised he publicly undercut him like that in their caucus today.

What will happen tonight?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 12:03 AM

Given how things have turned out, I would be shocked to see Boehner retain his speakership. Cantor will take over with the backing of either Ryan, McConnell, or both IMO. I would expect the Heritage foundation to support Cantor in this ouster of Boehner.

I'm hearing the House GOP will attempt to amend the package compromise with $300 billion in spending cuts.

Things are going to get much more interesting.

Here's the Dems plan going forward, not much surprise:

Some Democrats were already thinking out loud about what will follow the collapse of the Senate deal, which they now expect.

If Republicans attempt to offer amendments -- as is expected -- Democrats will oppose a rule to allow that to happen procedurally.

If the GOP then tries to pass an amended bill, "they will have to do it with their own votes," said Rep. James Clyburn, (D- S.C.), a member of the leadership. Either scenario would kill the deal.

If the GOP doesn't offer an up or down vote on the Senate deal, well, that would kill the deal, too.

And then what? "Well, I say that then we wait for the new Congress to come in on Thursday. We'll have better numbers, more members on our side," said Clyburn. "Then we offer a new bill that they will like even less. They didn't like the 450 (thousand dollar in household income) floor on the tax increase? Let's see how much they like it when we push it back down to 250 (thousand)!"

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 12:30 AM

I could actually see Ryan be the next Speaker if your scenario actually comes into play, but we'll see.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 02:49 AM

They're gonna vote up and down on this sunumbitch tonight.

I do wonder how the right-wing blogs and media will react? Krauthammer on FNC called the compromise a complete rout for Dems and a total "surrender" by the GOP.

Meanwhile Newt Gingrich on Twitter told the GOP to not "cave in" tonight. I almost fear visiting Red State tonight.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 02:56 AM

I already saw some of the spin on CNN earlier, Norquist considered this a victory for the GOP and a big rout for Obama as the GOP got to preserve tax cuts for Americans which Obama and the Dems wanted to get rid of for many years.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
I already saw some of the spin on CNN earlier, Norquist considered this a victory for the GOP and a big rout for Obama as the GOP got to preserve tax cuts for Americans which Obama and the Dems wanted to get rid of for many years.

Spin for a guy who in a few weeks his invincibility has been broken. No raising taxes at all costs!

Now the House GOP, a good minority of them is expected to do just that, in spite of the hard pressing from the interest groups.

Republicans voting for reasonable tax increases. Will pigs fly tomorrow?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 04:04 AM

Still voting, but the 217 vote threshold has been reached. It has passed.

Amazing how the same left-wing goofball blogs which blasted Obama for caving-in are now enjoying the right-wing doing the same to Boehner.

Or "Amazingly free of irony" is how I should've started that sentence.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 04:56 AM

Debt ceiling/fiscal cliff who comes up with those names?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 01:29 PM

Fuckin' amazing that a chamber of government could have a thumb up their ass all day yesterday on a bi-partisan Compromise supported/voted on by the President, and the Speaker of the House/Senate Minority Leader from the other party, but the House couldn't get this done.

House adjourns, shelves Hurricane Sandy aid relief bill

Quote:
"House Republicans abruptly pulled the plug Tuesday night on their promise to take up this week an emergency supplemental disaster aid bill for Northeast states damaged by Hurricane Sandy," Politico reports.

"The decision is a stunning reversal since just hours before New Jersey lawmakers were preparing for floor debate Wednesday as outlined under a strategy promoted by no less than Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) ... Absent a change of heart, the upshot now is that the Senate bill will die with this Congress on Thursday at noon. And the whole affair is sure to bring back memories of the famous Daily News headline in 1975 -- Ford to City: Drop Dead."

Most interesting: Democratic and Republican members from states affected by the storm took to the floor late Tuesday after the fiscal cliff vote to protest the decision, urging the leadership to reconsider. When a motion to adjourn for the night was put forth, the nos far outnumbered the ayes, but the presiding member adjourned anyway.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/house-pulls-plug-on-sandy-aid-bill-85661.html

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 01:42 PM

Was this retribution? Laziness? Has anyone said. why? Were they to busy scheming behind closed doors for thier pay raise?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 02:32 PM

Real news or wishful speculation?

(At least) 20 House GOPers band together to try to unseat Boehner

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/...ner-on-Thursday

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 07:15 PM

Anyone listening to Chris Christie's comments now on CNN? Man is he pissed uhwhat (rightfully so IMHO) at Congress (Boehner) about Sandy relief.

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 08:14 PM

Anyone listening to Chris Christie's comments now on CNN? Man is he pissed uhwhat (rightfully so IMHO) at Congress (Boehner) about Sandy relief.

TIS

Peter King, a right wing blowhard I usually loathe, was rightly livid earlier today.

Christie blamed Boehner personally. Christie doesn't just slay buffets, he slays Republicans.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 08:35 PM

In an unguarded moment, Christie was overheard to say "I'm so mad, I think I'll go jump on him."

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 08:57 PM

TIS

Peter King, a right wing blowhard I usually loathe, was rightly livid earlier today.

Christie blamed Boehner personally. Christie doesn't just slay buffets, he slays Republicans.

RR, I'm with you on Peter King.

He said he called Boehner 4 times and never got a call back. Then in Bohner's defense, I hear he didn't call the President back either. uhwhat

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 09:38 PM

I just heard that Boehner will resign as Speaker at 5:00.

Dunno how true this is.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

Dunno how true this is.

Would Cantor take over? Didnt they split over this deal?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 09:47 PM

Dunno how true this is.

I heard that just now on MSNBC too. I can't say I know who the guy reporting it was, and I doubt it's true.

I know they will vote either today or tomorrow and speculation was, in spite of everything, Boehner would easily win. But IF he resigns???? Don't know. What's even worse is I hear Cantor would take over. panic

BTW if this is suppose to happen at 5:00 (EST) we should know in about 10 minutes.

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 10:06 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-jo...ff-fight-2013-1

And here I thought we were bad!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 10:15 PM

Yea, I've been hearing that. Not only did he say it, when Reid asked "what are you talking about", Boenher repeated..."Go F**k yourself." Think things might be a tad tense? lol

Then, watch, they'll both come out and say "oh we are all great friends." I don't buy it.

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 10:21 PM

Yea, I've been hearing that. Not only did he say it, when Reid asked "what are you talking about", Boenher repeated..."Go F**k yourself." Think things might be a tad tense? lol

Then, watch, they'll both come out and say "oh we are all great friends." I don't buy it.

TIS

A crisp $20 says they come out to a podium, holding hands talking about how much respect they have for each other! You known the scene, where twenty people are in the back ground shaking there heads looking all serious! Those people are worth the watch!
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 10:50 PM

John Bohener and a lot of those older white men are racist yet Obama does give out to much free shit and enough inviting cracks dealers like Jay Z too the white house

Re: Government & Politics - 01/02/13 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
John Bohener and a lot of those older white men are racist yet Obama does give out to much free shit and enough inviting cracks dealers like Jay Z too the white house

Good insight, however it's not free. Us people who work pay for it! What is more appalling is the people who work hard and still advocate for helping the people who never have worked or even tried! I.E. blue collar Democrat!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 02:00 AM

Jay Z has more than enough money, so I'm pretty sure he's not dealing crack. And remember when the White House made Elvis their Drug Czar?? lol

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 02:04 AM

Jay Z has more than enough money, so I'm pretty sure he's not dealing crack. And remember when the White House made Elvis their Drug Czar?? lol

Nothing for nothing. Only the government would use the title "czar" for ANYTHING

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 02:05 AM

Just so everybody knows (if they dont already), for a person to receive welfare/food stamps they either have to be working/low-income, if unemployed, you have to be in school/job program, or if your just unemployed then to receive your benefits you have to work a certain number of hrs a wk for the govt at an assigned location (cleaning the park, subway stations, public housing grounds, etc). Obcourse you are excused if you have a disability, etc. And it goes without saying that there are some people who free-ride of others who receive benefits so they themselves dont have to comfort to any of the rules/regulations of these benefit programs.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 02:10 AM

Absolutely, DD. We have a cleaning lady in our office (I work at a non-profit) who is working without pay at our office as part of her benefits.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 02:12 AM

Absolutely, DD. We have a cleaning lady in our office (I work at a non-profit) who is working without pay at our office as part of her benefits.

Exactly.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 02:16 AM

Exactly.

Not being a smart ass, I really don't think that rule book got to my neighborhood! These people do nothing! And I can tell you they still get that check. SSI they all call it?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 02:17 AM

That's right DD and tho I am lucky enough, even thru my very worst financial times, thus far, never to have received any government assistance (tho looking back now I probably would have qualified) I do know there is a process to go thru.

It use to be (maybe still is) each month you had to bring proof from potential employers where you applied for work for one thing, AND as far as food stamps, I believe you have to supply bank account info showing a certain amount in your account (or lack of).

I am all for getting rid of (punishing) spongers and moochers of the system. BUT I also am for the very poor, sick, helpless getting help. Why not train and open more jobs in these fields. It's hard for some people to distinguish between the two and they tend to want to punish those in true need. frown

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 02:25 AM

That's right DD and tho I am lucky enough, even thru my very worst financial times, thus far, never to have received any government assistance (tho looking back now I probably would have qualified) I do know there is a process to go thru.

It use to be (maybe still is) each month you had to bring proof from potential employers where you applied for work for one thing, AND as far as food stamps, I believe you have to supply bank account info showing a certain amount in your account (or lack of).

I am all for getting rid of (punishing) spongers and moochers of the system. BUT I also am for the very poor, sick, helpless getting help. Why not train and open more jobs in these fields. It's hard for some people to distinguish between the two and they tend to want to punish those in true need. frown

TIS

Yeah, all those things are still in place but much more stringent. When you apply you give permission to the govt to look at your tax returns, bank accounts, and in some cases credit reports, etc to see what you wrote is true. Now they even had computers calling or sending letters to employers where people claimed they looked for a job to actually confirm you did look for a job at that place. Now some states even have you do a drug/urine test. The whole process is actually quite intrusive if I do say so myself, you give the govt the right to get any information they request whenever they request it (you have X number of days to comply) and if you refuse then your benefits are cut off. I know all of this as I worked for the federal govt and learned the ins and outs of these programs.

Many people get frustrated with the level of compliance/documentation that is required that they don't even bother applying/renewing their benefits and just "wing it.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 02:27 AM

TIS

TIS all due respect in not punishing anyone, nor would I. You seem to be lumping me into a catagory who would do that. I'm taking about a healthy 25 year old male, who is either playing basketball all day, watching TV and just doesn't care because he knows the system. There are just as many Taking advantage of the system as the ones who need it.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 02:47 AM

TIS

TIS all due respect in not punishing anyone, nor would I. You seem to be lumping me into a catagory who would do that. I'm taking about a healthy 25 year old male, who is either playing basketball all day, watching TV and just doesn't care because he knows the system. There are just as many Taking advantage of the system as the ones who need it.

I do not disagree with you with the example you give above. There ARE those who use/abuse the system. These are the people who need to be tossed out of the system. I don't have figures as to the numbers of those in true need and the abusers as being even, but tend to think that's probably not the case. I don't know. confused

Like I said, why not create more jobs, train people to work in this field, who know the restrictions/conditions. It certainly can't do any harm. And I'm not speaking for YOU, but there are many people who bundle all these people in one lump and don't want to believe anybody out there is needy.

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 03:00 AM

TIS

I do not disagree with you with the example you give above. There ARE those who use/abuse the system. These are the people who need to be tossed out of the system. I don't have figures as to the numbers of those in true need and the abusers as being even, but tend to think that's probably not the case. I don't know. confused

Like I said, why not create more jobs, train people to work in this field, who know the restrictions/conditions. It certainly can't do any harm. And I'm not speaking for YOU, but there are many people who bundle all these people in one lump and don't want to believe anybody out there is needy.

TIS

There are a ton of people who are mindless that would like to Ross the entire system! That's ridiculas! Ask them after a tragedy if they like the system. They'll be the first in line.
I agree training and co- ops are great, however there is a huge decline in Vocational training! It's as if it's a lost education option. I'm only 36 and I had Many friends go to vocational high school. It was a somewhat ego booster for blue collar guys. Now it's almost looked down upon, it's sad. That system helped a lot of kids! Not everyone is cut out for an office position.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 04:11 AM

Is Hugo Chavez on his deathbed?

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/after-chavez-who-runs-venezuela.html

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 04:45 AM

Sign o the times changing.

Illinois GOP back Gay Marriage Bill

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/illinois-gop-chair-backs-gay-marriage-bill

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 03:50 PM

Sign o the times changing.

Illinois GOP back Gay Marriage Bill

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/illinois-gop-chair-backs-gay-marriage-bill

Everywhere gay marriage bills are being introduced, they'll likely pass stste houses. One of the signs of change is in the party chairman's statement that allowing gay marriage reinforces a core Republican value that citizens be treated equally under the law. Gay rights being mentioned in the same sentence with principles grounded in the XIV Amendment was an area where GOP leadership wouldn't easily enter.

While we previously discussed the cases pertaining to gay marriage, which are pending before the Supreme Court, we pretty much opined that the Court will likely strike down that portion of DOMA, which doesn't recognize gay marriages in states where they are legal, but not rule on the broader issue of whether the XIV Amendment provides a right to gay marriage.

I feel eventually the right for gays to marry will be protected by the Constitution, but my question is how many states will have passed legislation approving gay marriage by the time the supreme Court makes such a ruling.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 04:00 PM

How fleeting political fortunes are. It was just two years ago this month that John Boehner took the gavel from Nancy Pelosi after a sweeping Republican victory in the midterms. He's still the Speaker, but he's embattled, weakened and bitter.

I'm not sure what he was thinking by pulling the bill for Sandy relief, but he incurred the wrath from his own party, particularly those in the three states where the majority of damage was sustained.
Posted By: stern49

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 04:26 PM

Need a klondike bar??? With a name like you have you deserved that one... Haha. jk.....

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 04:54 PM

Both of your posts are right on the money Kly. There's only two substantive(?) objections to gay marriage: one is religious and the other other is a function of hte "ew" sentiment neithe rof which is bearing up well as time goes by. I can see a equal protection of he law Scotus ruling on it within ten years.

Republicans are either in denial or don't have a clue that change in America is afoot. I think that too many of them still cling to the "silent majority" myth. They did have enough sense to drop the "family values" mantra; however, they have not yet come full cycle to reevaluate just what the GOP offers Americans.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 05:20 PM

Its pretty clear the Republicans are clueless and in a state of utter chaos on all fronts, not only on gay marrriage. If Obama passes immigration reform and some kind of gun (or bullet) control, AND is in office when the Republican party collapses, the far right will get even nuttier.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 05:22 PM

I think Hugo is toast. There could be chaos in Venezuela after he dies.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 06:32 PM

CNN showing Senator Mark Kirk (R-IL) who suffered a severe stroke walking up congress steps. How inspiring. Don't know the guy or how old he is but seems too young for a stroke. Then again, my own brother had a stroke at 51. Very scary. Anyway glad he's recovering. smile

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 01/03/13 07:03 PM

CNN showing Senator Mark Kirk (R-IL) who suffered a severe stroke walking up congress steps. How inspiring. Don't know the guy or how old he is but seems too young for a stroke. Then again, my own brother had a stroke at 51. Very scary. Anyway glad he's recovering. smile

TIS

+1. Very classy. To many people hoping others get sick these days. You know what I find inspiring is Gabrielle Giffords! Her attitude after surviving that tragedy! Many would have locked themselves in a dark room. She is as positive as it gets! JMHO

Re: Government & Politics - 01/04/13 07:07 AM

I'm not sure what he was thinking by pulling the bill for Sandy relief, but he incurred the wrath from his own party, particularly those in the three states where the majority of damage was sustained.

No idea. Maybe after that long pointlessly day trying to get his own party in that chamber to be reasonable and not salute thee before jumping off the Cliff, he got tired and forgot? Maybe he didn't want to incur the wrath of the Teabaggers since there was a durable resistence (for 2 months) among that circle to pass Sandy Relief? I don't know.

I do however believe he got screwed in the aftermath. Boehner already was a popular target of the right-wing blogs over "caving in," and then King went ballistic on national TV and Christie aired his own displeasure. A good avenue to vent rage against him. Notice that both men, both Republicans, personally blamed Boehner. (Christie blasted him especially for not returning his calls.) Both also praised Cantor by name. Who of course voted against the Cliff deal, and reportedly did his best to amend the Fiscal Cliff compromise package with spending cuts, which would've not been passed by the Senate and we would've gone off the Cliff.

This looks suspicious Why shouldn't Cantor be also blamed? Not planned or a conspiracy, just Boehner was a good convenient rag doll to beat up on at the moment. Thankfully Boehner kept his job, perhaps only because nobody else in his caucus wants it. So he's about as locally respected as the trashman?

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Its pretty clear the Republicans are clueless and in a state of utter chaos on all fronts, not only on gay marrriage. If Obama passes immigration reform and some kind of gun (or bullet) control, AND is in office when the Republican party collapses, the far right will get even nuttier.

The GOP will do their best to block Immigration reform, by demanding to do it piecemeal. (or worse, demand spending cuts with it. That's their predictable answer to everything anymore.) Quite frankly, and this might upset some local liberals, but that issue is much more important than gun control. Not just for political reward because the Democrats kept the Presidency thanks to the Latino turnout (and want to cultivate that voting bloc further), but also....it's time for immigration reform. Should've happened years ago, it's a real significant problem and we need to finally confront it. Common sense demands it.

Or put it another way, comprehensive Immigration reform will do more to solve that particular problem Democrats hope to solve than piecemeal gun control measures like say the assault weapons ban, which I do support.

(I'm just baffled Rubio, a man who could be President someday, wants nothing to do withat debate so far. Why not piss your mark on the issue while everybody else, including the POTUS, is worried about Cliffs? Own the issue like McCain did with campaign finance reform many years ago. Quit worrying about not offending Rush Limbaugh. You need more than his vote to win the White House.)

Republicans are either in denial or don't have a clue that change in America is afoot. I think that too many of them still cling to the "silent majority" myth. They did have enough sense to drop the "family values" mantra; however, they have not yet come full cycle to reevaluate just what the GOP offers Americans.

I think most, or at least most of the professionals within the party establishment understand that. Losing elections tend to magnify such gaps. The problem is even if they wanted to, THEY CAN'T. Why? Because the religious wingnuts are a core special interest group within their party coalition, in donations and especially in volunteer manpower for campaigns. Liberals like me speculated a good portion wouldn't come out and vote for a Mormon candidate, but we were wrong: Romney got the same Evangelical turnout as McCain.

If the GOP tell those groups that the war on gays is a lost cause, goodbye money and votes.

That's not to say all Republicans are either helpless stooges of the Religious Right, or their most partisan advocates. I think of Bob Gates and Ted Olsen what they've done in their own small ways. Gates as Secretary of Defense using Pentagon bureaucracy quietly muffled that stupid DADT policy, until Congress repealed it. Former Dubya Solicitor General Olsen lended his reputation and talent to sue California over Prop 8. (He co-plantiff was David Boies, his adversary counsel for Bush v. Gore.)

Not to mention the state/local Republican officials and activists who've done their part. Hell even voters. Half of the counties in Maryland that voted Romney also voted for the state SSM referendum. But unfortunately all them are exceptions so far.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/04/13 08:14 AM

On that topic of Republicans trying to gapple with reality, New York magazine did a really good piece where one of their reporters went on a post-election Caribbean cruise that assembled leading Conservative media/magazine pundits. A great read, here's an excerpt:

------------------------------------------------------------

That night, Cal Thomas, a USA Today columnist and Fox News contributor, was the host of my table of eight. At an earlier panel, he’d suggested that his audience “starve the beast” of government by refusing to pay income taxes; but now his stage fire had waned, and he looked bored, peering around our table with half-lids, his hound-dog face propped in his hand. I sat next to a retired surgeon from California named Duane, who heralded the Dinesh D’Souza film 2016: Obama’s America as the definitive truth regarding Obama’s anti-Colonialist background, which now portended America’s inevitable slide into socialism. Thomas liked the movie but dismissed its impact on the election, saying it had preached to the converted and had “sourcing problems” besides. But Duane, who has thick glasses and a closely shorn flat-top, was undeterred, insisting it was relevant. “I disagree!” he spat.

This was a phenomenon that was common on the cruise—the conservative pundits and columnists from the National Review attempting to gently disinter their followers from unhelpful conservative propaganda. For people who believe in the truth of works like Dreams From My Real Father, a conspiracy-­theory documentary that argues that Obama’s real father was a communist propagandist who turned Obama into a socialist Manchurian Candidate, this could be difficult work.

http://nymag.com/news/features/republican-caribbean-cruise-2012-12/

Re: Government & Politics - 01/04/13 02:37 PM

Also, the Vice-President coming out of the Fiscal Cliff smelling like roses and praised by the GOP (do they really believe he went rogue on the White House?)....yup, opening salvo to Biden '16.

God help us.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/05/13 04:32 PM

So in spite of my advice, the WH apparently this month will go hard for gun control (while the topic is still fresh in the public's mind) and then tackle comprehensive immigration reform.

Of course I wonder, are the Demcorats hoping for the NRA and its allies to overreach in their overreaction to minor measures like banning assualt weapons and closing some Brady Bill loopholes? I mean saying stuff like assault weapons no more deadly than credit cards and banning them would be just like Jim Crow, does any of that sound sane to an average person?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/05/13 07:05 PM

Interesting article on the current division of the Republican Party.

http://news.yahoo.com/republican-party-seems-divided-angry-ever-140632093--election.html

Re: Government & Politics - 01/05/13 07:11 PM

Once a proud Republican, there way is totally lost! They don't know who or what there fighting for!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/06/13 07:55 AM

Details on the WH's planned Gun Control push.

Quote:
The White House is weighing a far broader and more comprehensive approach to curbing the nation’s gun violence than simply reinstating an expired ban on assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition, according to multiple people involved in the administration’s discussions.

A working group led by Vice President Biden is seriously considering measures backed by key law enforcement leaders that would require universal background checks for firearm buyers, track the movement and sale of weapons through a national database, strengthen mental health checks, and stiffen penalties for carrying guns near schools or giving them to minors, the sources said.

Quote:
In addition to potential legislative proposals, Biden’s group has expanded its focus to include measures that would not need congressional approval and could be quickly implemented by executive action, according to interest-group leaders who have discussed options with Biden and key Cabinet secretaries. Possibilities include changes to federal mental-health programs and modernization of gun-tracking efforts by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/w...346f_story.html

Re: Government & Politics - 01/06/13 09:43 AM

Dumbass.

Quote:
Is the GOP’s problem that it’s too broad-based? That its outlook is excessively influenced by members of Congress from Democratic-oriented states?

Georgia Rep. Tom Price thinks so.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Jim Galloway catches this remarkable Wednesday radio interview with Price, where the outgoing chairman of the Republican Policy Committee notes that 70 of the 85 House GOP yes votes on the fiscal cliff deal came from blue state Republicans.

According to Price, what the House GOP – currently led by Republicans from Obama-voting states like Speaker John Boehner of Ohio – needs is more red state leadership

http://www.politico.com/blogs/charlie-mahtesian/2013/01/the-gops-blue-state-contagion-153243.html
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Government & Politics - 01/06/13 12:06 PM

I read something in our papers that Ben Affleck is being groomed as the next Ronald Reagan,albeit a Democratic version???

Re: Government & Politics - 01/06/13 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
I read something in our papers that Ben Affleck is being groomed as the next Ronald Reagan,albeit a Democratic version???

I like the girl he kidnaps in "the town" I gotta look her up on IMBD

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 05:19 AM

Ah,a stroked Hollywood ego. Nothing bigger!

Besides there is another Democratic Ronald Reagan already. He's in the White House right now.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 05:22 AM

To bad we cant send him to England! Another out of touch rich kid who has never worked a day in his life.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 06:11 AM

To bad we cant send him to England! Another out of touch rich kid who has never worked a day in his life.

Why do you find it neccesary to insult people? Yogi is from England but you still think it's necessary to stupidly generalize his country in a response to him. I find some of your posts in the OC section very informative but the majority are just pointless insults.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 06:22 AM

Who did I insult! It was a sarcastic joke, not that I need to exolain myself to you. Pointless? The only pointless posts are the one's you disagree with.

yogi my intent was not to insult you, if it came across that way I apologize!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 06:25 AM

Young Tony looks like an Oscar Meyer Weiner !

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 06:26 AM

Young Tony looks like an Oscar Meyer Weiner !

From eating them all day!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 06:34 AM

Who did I insult! It was a sarcastic joke, not that I need to exolain myself to you. Pointless? The only pointless posts are the one's you disagree with.

Sorry East, i apologize, i thought the 2nd half of your comment was genuinely describing English people (to you). I was the one who jumped the gun again my apologies

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 06:37 AM

Sorry East, i apologize, i thought the 2nd half of your comment was genuinely describing English people (to you). I was the one who jumped the gun again my apologies

No worries, go back and look af my posts though bro, I respond and get offensive i agree! I need to learn to just ignore. However I am nit the type to go out of.my way to offend someone. I take the bait and respond like an idiot!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 06:40 AM

And as far as the English go, the only difference between Americans and English is our languages!

what movie is that from?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 06:47 AM

No worries, go back and look af my posts though bro, I respond and get offensive i agree! I need to learn to just ignore. However I am nit the type to go out of.my way to offend someone. I take the bait and respond like an idiot!

Tbh i've been in and out of this site over the past few months. When i initially started reading posts again a few days ago you were at the centre of alot of arguments. So ithink you know where i was coming from with that comment.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 06:50 AM

And as far as the English go, the only difference between Americans and English is our languages!

what movie is that from?

Is it a comedy with Bill Murray? If not i don't have a clue.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 06:53 AM

Tbh i've been in and out of this site over the past few months. When i initially started reading posts again a few days ago you were at the centre of alot of arguments. So ithink you know where i was coming from with that comment.

I understand the conversations I was involved with, not saying I was justified to make the commenst I did. However I let myself get dragged down by the misinformed. You being a smart guy knkw there are always two sides of an argument. There are always Sparrow's that will peck at an Eagle!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 07:11 AM

Exactly, there's two sides of every argument, and i agree with Ivy and Hairy, the evidence points towards Salerno never being the official boss. I agree though maybe you know the truth, without being anywhere near the Country nevermind the City i can't agree with youb, hopefully you'll produce some sort of evidence for a foreigner like me.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 07:16 AM

what movie is that from?

Dunno about a movie but George Bernard Shaw is famous for (among other things) saying, "England and America are two countries separated by a common language".

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 07:25 AM

Exactly, there's two sides of every argument, and i agree with Ivy and Hairy, the evidence points towards Salerno never being the official boss. I agree though maybe you know the truth, without being anywhere near the Country nevermind the City i can't agree with youb, hopefully you'll produce some sort of evidence for a foreigner like me.

Thats the great thing about an imagination you can think whatever you want. The several artickes I provided did not suffice? My wife and parents are foreigner's and when provided information they take an objective view and firm thier own opinion. Let me ask you this, say I came here and told you I knew more about Scotland than you! You wouldnt find that a little odd. Lets just say this, Tony had alot of things going on if he wasnt a boss like you say, how many Captains are exposed to tge daily issues he had? Casino's as in like who will own, when they can sell, numbers, concrete club, Donald Trump bringing him cash, etc it goes on and on. Thats alot for the guy not in charge. And another question, when people are interviewed regarding these topics are they going to the mid west or over seas? No there going to the neighbirhoods because thise are the people who know!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 07:28 AM

Thats the great thing about an imagination you can think whatever you want. The several artickes I provided did not suffice? My wife and parents are foreigner's and when provided information they take an objective view and firm thier own opinion. Let me ask you this, say I came here and told you I knew more about Scotland than you! You wouldnt find that a little odd. Lets just say this, Tony had alot of things going on if he wasnt a boss like you say, how many Captains are exposed to tge daily issues he had? Casino's as in like who will own, when they can sell, numbers, concrete club, Donald Trump bringing him cash, etc it goes on and on. Thats alot for the guy not in charge. And another question, when people are interviewed regarding these topics are they going to the mid west or over seas? No there going to the neighbirhoods because thise are the people who know!

I missed them can you post these articles either here or in a pm?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 07:32 AM

I will PM them, give me till tomorrow so I can get them all together instead of piece mail?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 07:39 AM

I will PM them, give me till tomorrow so I can get them all together instead of piece mail?

Fair enough, but if i'm right you only produced one article?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 07:41 AM

Fair enough, but if i'm right you only produced one article?

No, several like I did the other night. SC produced his own which also stated that Tony was the boss also.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 07:42 AM

what movie is that from?

Dunno about a movie but George Bernard Shaw is famous for (among other things) saying, "England and America are two countries separated by a common language".

I honestly thought that was from a Woody Allen film. Hopefully East will inform us.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 07:50 AM

what movie is that from?

I honestly thought that was from a Woody Allen film. Hopefully East will inform us.

It's from the movie Patton. George C Scott played the part!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 07:52 AM

what movie is that from?

Patton, George C Scott. Remember the speech he was giving to the ladies club when his dog "Willy" got scared by that little rat dog!

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 08:12 AM

what movie is that from?

Thanks, i've read a book about him that says thse generals himself included were petrified of George Marshall?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 08:18 AM

[quote=EastHarlemItal]And as far as the English go, the only difference between Americans and English is our languages!

Thanks, i've read a book about him that says thse generals himself included were petrified of George Marshall?

It's a sin we overlook all Gen Marshall's acheivements! Guy was in the number one guy and he got very little recognition.
Posted By: RichieAnimal

Re: Government & Politics - 01/07/13 10:17 AM

I did not know a single liberal among street guys growing up in Italian Harlem. As a matter of fact we were all prejudiced.

Parents as well my brother saw some Spanish girl he wanted to bang. So she asks him for our number he gives it to us. Then she calls the house asking for my brother. Ma picks up the phone and she could tell the girl was spanish. She tells the girl no Ralph does not live here any more so don't call here again. I hear tge call and Ralph heard the end of it we both crack up. But Ma was mad at Ralph no ravioli for him that night.

Correction there was one famous one Burt Lancaster.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/08/13 04:59 AM

I wonder how many people will buy the Hagel=Nazi kool aid?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/08/13 02:53 PM

I wonder how many people will buy the Hagel=Nazi kool aid?

Well, calling him a Nazi is an overreaction, and I'm sure that some of the Obama haters will call him as much. But Hagel is a curious choice, Ronnie.

At the very least, negotiations with Jerusalem are sure to get a bit frosty. Hagel's famous non-denial (does a non-denial make it safe to assume that it was true?) of making the statement "let the Jews pay for it," will surely bite him in the ass. And his constant referral to "the Jewish lobby" isn't going to help his cause much, either.

In the past he has also shown an insensitivity towards gays as well, Ronnie. And I know that, even if the Israel stuff doesn't bother you, the remarks that he made about James Hormel back in the '90s have to bug you at least a little bit.

So in my opinion, if the President was looking for a righty to assuage some of the Republican base, he could have made a less controversial choice. But there's no denying his military background. So that kind of makes it a push in my opinion.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/08/13 05:06 PM

I think he is a fine choice. Both George W. Bush and John McCain had Chuck on their short lists for Veep. All this crap they are raising is pure politics. Besides, what does "anti-Israel" mean?
there are all kinds of points of view in Israel. What the righties mean is of someone does not agree with Bibi Netanyahu, then that person is anti Israel and by implication anti semitic. But what do you expect from a Kenyan born president who is a member of the muslim brotherhood?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/08/13 10:17 PM

The state senate president in NJ, a democrat named Sweeney, said that Governor Chris Christie must have prayed for Hurricane Sandy and got "lucky". Although Sweeney immediately apologized, what a jerk! How could anyone use this tragedy to make political hay??

Christie prayed for Hurricane Sandy

Re: Government & Politics - 01/08/13 11:45 PM

The state senate president in NJ, a democrat named Sweeney, said that Governor Chris Christie must have prayed for Hurricane Sandy and got "lucky". Although Sweeney immediately apologized, what a jerk! How could anyone use this tragedy to make political hay??

Christie prayed for Hurricane Sandy

Christie was misheard. He was actually praying for Pecan Sandies.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/09/13 06:30 PM

That stupid hurricane line, damn you know what it signals? The Democrats in NJ know they won't beat Christie this fall, and some fo them aren't reacting well.

I don't live in NY or NJ so I don't follow Christie other than whenever he pops up on national TV, but I do think that of all the GOP candidates mentioned so far for a national '16 run, he is the one that Democrats should worry about so far.

Anyway on the Hagel front, I find it odd that for all the hot air supposedly coming from the opposition about that nomination and how tough it'll be...he's fucking evaporated like an icecube in July. Israel's government publicly wants nothing to do with that debate. Even AIPAC (the special interest group that Hagel refered to as the "Jewish Lobby") has decided to go fishing instead of fighting Hagel's nomination.

Sometimes when confronting actual bullshit, it gets shoveled.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/09/13 06:41 PM

That's very clever, Oli. You couldn't have written that yourself grin.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/09/13 06:43 PM

Anyway on the Hagel front, I find it odd that for all the hot air supposedly coming from the opposition about that nomination and how tough it'll be...he's fucking evaporated like an icecube in July. Israel's government publicly wants nothing to do with that debate. Even AIPAC (the special interest group that Hagel refered to as the "Jewish Lobby") has decided to go fishing instead of fighting Hagel's nomination.

Sometimes when confronting actual bullshit, it gets shoveled.

Well really, Hagel is a Conservative. How much could the Obama haters really attack him without pissing off their own base?

Re: Government & Politics - 01/09/13 06:45 PM

I don't think most of the Dem party will be against Hagel. I actually am ok with this nomination.

As far as the GOP goes, they'll object to ANYONE President Obama picks. I swear it's in their collective DNA. lol

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 01/09/13 06:48 PM

As far as the GOP goes, they'll object to ANYONE President Obama picks. I swear it's in their collective DNA.

They actually hate the man, Tis. They'll hate him until he leaves office in 2017, and probably far beyond that.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/09/13 06:57 PM

That's very clever, Oli. You couldn't have written that yourself grin.

I got a million of 'em.
Posted By: bike

Re: Government & Politics - 01/11/13 12:27 PM

I am happy with the Obama administration due to some reforms specially regarding immigration reforms and to support economy of the country.Let see what happened in the next tenure.
Posted By: BAM_233

Re: Government & Politics - 01/12/13 03:44 AM

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/...p-on-space?lite

I am really disappointed by the news. Then again, there would have been more weak points to have it destroyed lol.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/16/13 04:39 PM

The $222,000 Interior Department bathroom:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/in...s-politics.html

Re: Government & Politics - 01/16/13 08:57 PM

The $222,000 Interior Department bathroom:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/in...s-politics.html

That's some expensive shit.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/21/13 02:34 PM

A fun fact I learned online: about 850 cities have streets named after Martin Luther King. Most of any person.

(But is this true?)
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Government & Politics - 01/21/13 02:51 PM

Nearly every street in newark is named after some black guy.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/21/13 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Skinny

Is there a point to be made or are you just stirring shit up, Skinny? Regardless, please stop your frequent references to race and religion.
Posted By: fathersson

Re: Government & Politics - 01/21/13 04:07 PM

HA! sad but true!

PRICELESS!!!

I finally received my tax return for 2011 back from the IRS. It puzzles me!!!
They are questioning how many dependents I claimed.
I guess it was because of my response to the question:
"List all dependents."
I replied: 12 million illegal immigrants;
3 million crack heads;
42 million people on food stamps,
2 million people in over 243 prisons; and
535 persons in the U.S. House and Senate, plus
1 useless President."
Evidently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

I KEEP ASKING MYSELF, WHO DID I MISS?

david l. cockrill AIA LEED AP

Re: Government & Politics - 01/21/13 05:27 PM

Is there a point to be made or are you just stirring shit up, Skinny? Regardless, please stop your frequent references to race and religion.

How is that stirring up shit? Every street in newark is named after either a tree or a black leader.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Government & Politics - 01/21/13 05:40 PM

How is that stirring up shit? Every street in newark is named after either a tree or a black leader.

Funny coincidence, I'm working on a cable job from Jersey City to Newark and I happened to have the Newark map open. We're entering on Harrison Ave from Harrison we hit Bridge St, turn left on Broad St, past Washington Pl, Central Ave, New St, W. Park St, Cedar St (tree), Raymond Blvd (everybody loves him), Academy St, Bank St, Commerce St, Clinton St, Market St, Edison Pl....... Mr. Skinny must be talking about another part of Newark. whistle

Re: Government & Politics - 01/21/13 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas

Funny coincidence, I'm working on a cable job from Jersey City to Newark and I happened to have the Newark map open. We're entering on Harrison Ave from Harrison we hit Bridge St, turn left on Broad St, past Washington Pl, Central Ave, New St, W. Park St, Cedar St (tree), Raymond Blvd (everybody loves him), Academy St, Bank St, Commerce St, Clinton St, Market St, Edison Pl....... Mr. Skinny must be talking about another part of Newark. whistle

What about irvine turner? Mlk? Mohamed ali? Treacy? ...

Sorry for bein a smart ass jesus. I apologize.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/21/13 05:52 PM

Nice whistle by the way really cracked me up.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/21/13 08:45 PM

Just think, in 4 years we'll have a new President.

Just saying.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/21/13 09:26 PM

Re: Government & Politics - 01/22/13 06:39 PM

Nice to see that Boehner brought his mom to the lunch.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/23/13 07:04 PM

Worst tragedy since 9/11?

Really? Bigger than Newtown?

Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Government & Politics - 01/23/13 09:22 PM

Obama really is a jack ass.

AP sources: Panetta opens combat roles to women
http://news.yahoo.com/ap-sources-panetta-opens-combat-roles-women-203034238--politics.html

Re: Government & Politics - 01/24/13 12:04 AM

Ivy just finding that out.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/24/13 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: RichieAnimal
Ivy just finding that out.

I've never been a fan of Obama but I really try to be objective. I'll find myself liking how he handles things like drones and special ops against terrorists, and even trying to convince some of my family that he's not the devil incarnate, but then he pulls crap like this that reminds me exactly why I'm not a supporter and never could be.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/24/13 02:31 AM

I dont agree that hes a jackass, but i dont believe women belong in combat. Period.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/26/13 01:25 AM

Capt Katie Petronio: Women Shouldn't Be in Infantry (We Are Not All Created Equal)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FABcQRv2vQ

Attached picture 29577_10151364830052438_1434836253_n (1).jpg

Re: Government & Politics - 01/28/13 04:21 PM

[/quote]

That's "Mr. President Obama" to you.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/29/13 04:03 AM

That's "Mr. President Obama" to you.

I realize this is blasphemy to those here who look at him like he's God but he can take his social re-engineering and cram it.

Re: Government & Politics - 01/29/13 09:04 PM

When will this BS stop? I don't care what party does it... this is ridiculous.

Quote:
President Barack Obama will fly over 9 hours tomorrow, round-trip from Washington, D.C. to Las Vegas, Nevada, just to deliver a speech on immigration, according to the president's White House schedule. With Air Force One estimated to cost $182,000 per hour in flight, Obama's trip--that is, only his travel to and from Vegas--will cost taxpayers over $1.6 million.

"In the morning, the President will depart the White House en route Las Vegas, Nevada. The departure from the South Lawn and the arrival at McCarran International Airport are open press," the president's schedule reads.

"While in Las Vegas, the President will deliver remarks on the need to fix the broken immigration system so that it is fairer for and helps grow the middle class by ensuring everyone plays by the same rules. The President's remarks at Del Sol High School are open to pre-credentialed media.

"In the evening, the President will depart Las Vegas, Nevada en route Washington, DC. The departure from McCarran International Airport and the arrival on the South Lawn are open press."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...on_698171.html

Re: Government & Politics - 02/20/13 06:02 PM

“Study: Infantry Battalions Commanded By Females More Likely To Stop For Directions, Arrive Late.”

Re: Government & Politics - 02/20/13 06:13 PM

Going to Vegas to gamble, as I always say. Lay it all on black!

Re: Government & Politics - 02/20/13 06:16 PM

And I wondered why everyone says she is so classy! There is a perfect example!

Re: Government & Politics - 02/28/13 01:39 AM

I ignore politics for days and miss that CPAC snubbed Christie because he's "too moderate." (Hey remember last year when those same people wished he ran for President or Romney had picked him for running mate? Wow times change.)

I'll repeat what I said before: Of the names mentioned so far for '16, Christie is the one the Democrats should worry about the most if you ask me. But this nonsense is bad news for the idiots in the base who didn't learn from last year, and might force Christie to go far to his right for '16. (Then again that worked wonders for Willard, didn't it?)

But potentially good news of course for the Democrats. It always helps when your enemy is fighting itself.

Re: Government & Politics - 02/28/13 01:53 AM

RR,

Surprises me too. I would think Christie as a frontrunner for the Rs next election. Their guest list include, Mitt Romney, Alan West & Sarah Palin. uhwhat lol

BUT, let's not forget, in 4 years a whole lot can happen. I'm guessing somebody will come out of the shadows in the next year or so and take the lead.

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 02/28/13 01:55 AM

I dont even want to think about 2016 now.I am choosing to ignore all this 2016 talk.

Re: Government & Politics - 03/16/13 08:10 PM

Dear GOP, take notes from Senator Portman.

On Gay Marriage (and Gay Rights in general), you all are on the Titanic. And he just got himself on one of those boats.

Do the rest of you really want to Leonardo DiCaprio yourselves and freeze to death? Or become shark food?

Re: Government & Politics - 03/16/13 08:31 PM

Another memo to GOP:

If you all actually want to attract black voters, debating the merits of slavery and segregation is counterproductive.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/03/15/1729331/cpac-slavery-minority-outreach/?mobile=nc

Re: Government & Politics - 03/16/13 08:57 PM

Romney would have been a lot better president for blacks and jobs then Obama. The blacks made their choice. Romney would have been a lot better president for the Jewish people then Obama. But the US Jews vote for Obama they made their choice.

These people really know what their doing. Let them keep voting democrat you get what you vote for.

Re: Government & Politics - 03/16/13 09:57 PM

Romney would have been a lot better president for blacks and jobs then Obama. The blacks made their choice. Romney would have been a lot better president for the Jewish people then Obama. But the US Jews vote for Obama they made their choice.

These people really know what their doing. Let them keep voting democrat you get what you vote for.

Post translation: Blacks and Jews (well most of them) are too stupid for their own good, apparently unlike you.

Racist and anti-semitic posting. Nice.

Re: Government & Politics - 03/16/13 10:01 PM

In case you did not know this it is very hard to be anti anything and a racist and be a soccer coach.

On the vast majority of blacks and Jews voting for Obama it means they were not thinking with their head their is little doubt about that.

Re: Government & Politics - 03/16/13 10:07 PM

the way that i interpreted richie's post was that in his opinion, the problems facing the black and jewish communities might have been better addressed under romney, and they have made their bed and now they have to lay in it. whether thats true or not, we will never know, and its besides the point. describing a black person as black, or a jewish person as jewish isn't racist. just stop the constant fallback point of almost all liberals, trying to paint anyone with a different opinion as a racist.

Re: Government & Politics - 03/16/13 10:16 PM

Thanks 5 felonies exactly right. So you only commuted 5 felonies your practically a law abiding citizen compared to me smile

Re: Government & Politics - 03/16/13 10:28 PM

Dear GOP, take notes from Senator Portman.

On Gay Marriage (and Gay Rights in general), you all are on the Titanic. And he just got himself on one of those boats.

Portman was on the shortlist to be Romney's VP.

By him coming out in support of this he effectively guaranteed a Tea Party challenge during his next re-election.

Re: Government & Politics - 03/16/13 10:58 PM

In case you did not know this it is very hard to be anti anything and a racist and be a soccer coach.

On the vast majority of blacks and Jews voting for Obama it means they were not thinking with their head their is little doubt about that.

Right. Because the majority of white people who voted for Romney knew better?
Even the shit-for-brains people who thought Obama wasn't born in the US or the 49% of Republicans who think that ACORN (an organization that doesn't exist) stole the election for Obama? Real MENSA members, those white Republicans. And let's not even talk about the middle-class/low class whites who eagerly and regularly line up to vote for people who are anti-worker, anti-union, anti-safety, and pro-shipping their job overseas ASAP.

It kills me that SOME white people think that any group that doesn't agree with revealed truth as they see it is by definition not thinking. The argument could just as easily be made the other way but then again black people tend not to think that people voting differently from them are by definition stupid.

I start from the presumption that each voter best knows his own interest. If Republicans want to win more Black, Jewish, Asian, Hispanic, etc votes perhaps they should pull back from the right-wing white nationalist stances they flirt with, drop the extreme right economic theories and stop associating with people who muse that the wrong side won the Civil War. There are some smart moderate Republicans who can do this.

Or not. They could continue on their current path and continue getting their ass kicked in Presidential elections. Either way.

Re: Government & Politics - 03/16/13 11:03 PM

Hey Obama got reelected so what do white people know nothing.

We will all just wait and see how the economy goes from here right.

I am sure we will all be better off economy under obama then anyone ever dreamed of. I wish I would be alive to see it.

Re: Government & Politics - 03/17/13 01:19 AM

the way that i interpreted richie's post was that in his opinion, the problems facing the black and jewish communities might have been better addressed under romney, and they have made their bed and now they have to lay in it. whether thats true or not, we will never know, and its besides the point. describing a black person as black, or a jewish person as jewish isn't racist. just stop the constant fallback point of almost all liberals, trying to paint anyone with a different opinion as a racist.

Bullshit. I doubt you a few other locals would be as tolerant if he said the same about Italians. Looking at New England voting, especially Democratic demographic voting blocs, he probably does believe that too but SHOCKINGLY FOR WHATEVER REASON won't say that at BB.Net. Huh.

You know instead of cuddling Richie, maybe he should learn on his own how to talk or post like a human being instead of like an animal? Who knows, learning from his mistakes might beat some "heart" into him? Maybe a hardhat can help him out?

Thanks 5 felonies exactly right. So you only commuted 5 felonies your practically a law abiding citizen compared to me smile

Now you'll tell us about how your best friends are blacks and Jews. Like Mel Gibson!

Hey Obama got reelected so what do white people know nothing.

Now don't be anti-caucasian too!

By him coming out in support of this he effectively guaranteed a Tea Party challenge during his next re-election.

Will those whacks even be around in '16? 3 years might as well be 30 years, and with how fast that issue has turned in less than a decade...I'm willing to bet $10 imaginary dollars that he won't face a challenge because of that particular issue.

Re: Government & Politics - 03/17/13 01:50 AM

Yes, because Romney's party is the party of inclusion. rolleyes

Re: Government & Politics - 03/17/13 02:00 AM

You know RR, while I agree with much of what you posted a few panes above about Ritchie's post, let's not exaggerate the use of terms such as Black or Jews. If one can legitimately accrue to their use some pejorative meaning, then express that as part of your post. Since race, ethnicity, and religion (among others) can influence perception and statements, reference to them has its place. Also, since I am quite expressive in many conversations (as well as posts on this Board) about being Italian, I welcome being identified as such by others unless such identification is meant to be pejorative and I recognize it as such.

By the way, Rirchie would also do well to avail himself of correct spelling, punctuation, and capitalization.

Re: Government & Politics - 03/17/13 06:59 AM

On spelling my graduate from Columbia with honors daughter tells me that as well. Yet she did not pay for her own college education I did.

So much for great spelling, punctuation and capitalization smile

Re: Government & Politics - 04/04/13 12:19 AM

Published April 03, 2013

Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. – Two North Carolina lawmakers have filed a resolution asserting that federal courts don't have the authority to decide what is constitutional and the state can make its own laws on the establishment of religion.

Two Rowan County lawmakers proposed the resolution Monday, along with 11 co-sponsors. It declares the state's sovereignty and rejects the authority of federal courts' rulings on religion in North Carolina or on any constitutional issue.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/.../#ixzz2PRuSiQ1Z

Re: Government & Politics - 04/04/13 01:56 AM

Published April 03, 2013

Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. – Two North Carolina lawmakers have filed a resolution asserting that federal courts don't have the authority to decide what is constitutional and the state can make its own laws on the establishment of religion.

Two Rowan County lawmakers proposed the resolution Monday, along with 11 co-sponsors. It declares the state's sovereignty and rejects the authority of federal courts' rulings on religion in North Carolina or on any constitutional issue.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/.../#ixzz2PRuSiQ1Z

Sometimes I think that we need another civil war. The South didn't get curbstomped hard enough the first time.

Re: Government & Politics - 04/04/13 01:58 AM

http://jonathanturley.org/2013/04/03/rea...-muslim-school/

Quote:
Many of us have opposed voucher systems as thinly veiled efforts to publicly fund religious schools in addition to a system that undermines our public school system. Republican lawmakers in Tennessee seem intent on confirming the religious motivations behind the system this week in opposing vouchers because it has occurred to them that Muslim schools might be able to receive funding with Christian schools. They are threatening to block Republican Gov. Bill Haslam’s school voucher bill unless they can find a way to deny it to Muslim schools — a suggestion that brings sectarian prejudices to the forefront of the debate.

State Sen. Jim Tracy (R) raised his “considerable concern” that tax dollars could go to schools that teach principles from the Quran . . . . as opposed to those schools that teach the principles from the Bible. Tracy is on the Senate Education Committee and, apparently more importantly, is a member of the Church of Christ. He wants to amend the law to exclude Muslim schools — something that is not just an act of raw prejudice but completely unconstitutional.

Re: Government & Politics - 04/04/13 02:13 PM

The Internet: What can we really believe in to be true or can everything we don't believe in be brushed off as bullshit?
Like this below. Heaters will scream it is true and Obama Loves will scream it is bullshit...But what is really the truth?

Or how about Bidens trip that was all over the news last week about how much it cost form him to fly around the world. Is it really warrented with all that is going on with times being tight for many Americans.

If it costs that much for you to go would you think twice about spending that kind of money if it was your own $$

What an American Tragedy-This has to stop! When are the people of this country wake up and see the HYPOCRISY?

THIS IS TRUE: CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF (SEE LINKS AT BOTTOM)

UNBELIEVABLE

Obama Daughters are Michelle's 'Senior Staffers'

Michelle was caught cheating on her expense report. What a show of arrogance!

This information was obtained by Judicial Watch March, 2012. The administration had to be sued to get this through the FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT.

Michelle Obama listed daughters as 'Senior Staffers' to justify her expensive African vacation and safari.

October 5, 2011, Judicial Watch said the U.S. Air Force provided a C-32 ( a Boeing 757 ), modified by the military for the purpose of flying big-wigs around the world, to fly the First Lady and her entourage to and from Africa , at a cost of $424,142. Another $928.44 was listed as 'bulk food' costs per meal for the192 on board meals for the 21 people who made the trip. Lobster ain't cheap when you fly it around the world.

The Obama daughters were listed on the manifest as senior staff. 'This trip was as much an opportunity for the Obama family to go on a safari as it was a trip to conduct government business,' said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. 'This junket wasted tax dollars and the resources of our over extended military. No wonder we had to sue to pry loose this information.' The nation is suffering with the economy sputtering, the national debt soaring and Obama's economic rescue policies not only failing, but actively making things worse.

Meanwhile, the First Lady justifies an expensive trip to Africa to take a vacation and safari with her daughters by saying it's 'official business' and even going so far as to list her children as staffers. The level of arrogance and dishonesty on display here is nothing short of shocking.

But, 'hope for change' - when?

It's a true story. Check out these links and read it for yourself:

http://www.judicialwatch.org/press-room/...trip-to-africa/

Re: Government & Politics - 04/04/13 05:03 PM

Oh please FS, I cant believe someone like you is buying this Faux News nonsense. Loook back to the travel of any past president and vice president, and/or their families. It always costs a fortune to move them around, and they have every right to do what they are doing.

I never heard people on the right complaiing about how the Reagans took every chance they had to go to the California estate, or how Bush Jr. spent all that time at his so called ranch in Texas. You think that was free?

BTW what became of that ranch? He never goes anymore.

Re: Government & Politics - 04/04/13 06:50 PM

Oh please FS, I cant believe someone like you is buying this Faux News nonsense. Loook back to the travel of any past president and vice president, and/or their families. It always costs a fortune to move them around, and they have every right to do what they are doing.

I never heard people on the right complaiing about how the Reagans took every chance they had to go to the California estate, or how Bush Jr. spent all that time at his so called ranch in Texas. You think that was free?

BTW what became of that ranch? He never goes anymore.

Yeah Like todays big News story of how Obama is giving Back was it 5% of his pay because he wants to help out and cut back like the rest. A big 20 thousand. He should pay it back if the above story is at all true.

DT I don't care what others did in the past...times are changing and some of this is just bullshit that should stop!
Tell it those who are losing their jobs!

Pay for you own family trips and all the cost even if you are in office. The expence is way to much and they should think before they go on the tax payers dime.

and the fact being the others went to their own family homes not to a resort and fake trips out of the country.a REAL Big difference.

your call it fake...but I am not so sure.

Re: Government & Politics - 04/04/13 07:06 PM

here is another one that was sent to me...I didn't check out the facts in it, but any Obama hater will agree and every Obama love will say it is fake...so just enjoy the read and forget the rest.:

Obituary ..... A Must Read!!

VERY INTERESTING - One man's opinion!

In 1887 Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the

University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the

Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior: "A democracy is always

temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent

form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until

the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous

gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority

always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from

the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally

collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a

dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the

beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200

years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;

From spiritual faith to great courage;

From courage to liberty;

From liberty to abundance;

From abundance to complacency;

From complacency to apathy;

From apathy to dependence;

From dependence back into bondage."

The Obituary follows:

Born 1776, Died 2012

It doesn't hurt to read this several times.

Professor Joseph Olson of Hamline University School of Law in

St. Paul, Minnesota, points out some interesting facts concerning

the last Presidential election:

Number of States won by: Obama: 19 Romney: 29

Square miles of land won by: Obama: 580,000 Romney: 2,427,000

Population of counties won by: Obama: 127 million Romney: 143 million

Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Obama: 13.2 Romney: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory

Romney won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens

of the country.

Obama territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in low

income tenements and living off various forms of government

welfare..."

Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the

"complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of

democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population

already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million

criminal invaders called illegals - and they vote - then we can say

goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years .

Re: Government & Politics - 04/05/13 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: fathersson

Thanks for the post. lolThis was the best laugh I had all week. A lot of Rove-loving, anti-Obama nuts can't get over the fact that Romney got his ass kicked in November, and are still seeking to place a spin to obfuscate the real results. But while Romney lost popularly and electorally, even in Florida where the governor deliberately manipulated the polling to marginalize the voting impact of the poor, minorities and elderly, this guy is trying to claim the land - the physical land was won by Romney. That's dirt, rocks, grass and hills. I guess you can say Mitt won the mud by a landslide.

Here's a spin on the election that involves people. The ten states with the most educated Americans were won by Obama. The ten states where people are least educated went to Romney. I don't think it means all that much, but you can see the inferences someone can draw.

Re: Government & Politics - 04/05/13 03:55 AM

Here, here!

Re: Government & Politics - 04/05/13 01:55 PM

here is another one that was sent to me...I didn't check out the facts in it, but any Obama hater will agree and every Obama love will say it is fake...so just enjoy the read and forget the rest.:

Obituary ..... A Must Read!!

VERY INTERESTING - One man's opinion!

In 1887 Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the

University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the

Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior: "A democracy is always

temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent

form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until

the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous

gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority

always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from

the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally

collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a

dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the

beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200

years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;

From spiritual faith to great courage;

From courage to liberty;

From liberty to abundance;

From abundance to complacency;

From complacency to apathy;

From apathy to dependence;

From dependence back into bondage."

The Obituary follows:

Born 1776, Died 2012

It doesn't hurt to read this several times.

Professor Joseph Olson of Hamline University School of Law in

St. Paul, Minnesota, points out some interesting facts concerning

the last Presidential election:

Number of States won by: Obama: 19 Romney: 29

Population of counties won by: Obama: 127 million Romney: 143 million

Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Obama: 13.2 Romney: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory

Romney won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens

of the country.

Obama territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in low

income tenements and living off various forms of government

welfare..."

Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the

"complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of

democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population

already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

Oh please!

FS it is a good thing you gave the caveat that you did not fact check this complete nonsense.
Please point out where it says in the Constitution that whomever carries the most acreage should win the election? Hell, there is more land in Alaska than in many of the aggregate states Obama carried, and as is evident from the people Alaska puts in office, they are morons.
The statement about Romney carrying places where people pay taxes, and Obama carrying places where people live in tenements, and are on welfare is just false. No, it is a lie. Obama carried all the major urban areas in the country. FYI thats Boston, New York, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, L.A. and San Francisco, to name a few. If you look at the map you will see that all those states Romney Carried, esp in the South and West are States that receive more Federal Aid than they pay. States like California, New York and Florida actually pay more taxes than they get back, so in essence all these crazy morons in the tea party states are living off the Federal dime and complaining about it all the way to the bank.
Moreover if you look at the stats of who voted for whom, it is no contest that the most educated people voted for Obama while the lesser educated people voted for Romney.
I'll add gratuitously that WHEN Obamacare kicks in, it will be the more educated, richer, slimmer people sunsidizing all those obese diabetic red state cretins who live on grease, and celebrate their weddings to their daughters and sisters with deep fried turkeys.
FS you would make a great fiction writer. I suggest you admit that is what you write in your posts.

Re: Government & Politics - 04/05/13 03:38 PM

Stop with "Oh please!" like you are so offended by what was posted...
and this doesn't make any sense to me either: FS you would make a great fiction writer. I suggest you admit that is what you write in your posts. confused

I didn't write it, I just posted it. Maybe you would also lol at it as others had and not spent so long debating it's content if you weren't so OBAMA BLIND- cool lol

Get out of your lawyer mode and stop trying to argue everything. lol lol enjoy the read like I said. Pro or con.

Re: Government & Politics - 04/05/13 04:10 PM

really, DT? where do you live? have you ever spent any time at all in some of the more rural areas of the county? if your answer is yes, then you would most certainly know that the silly, outdated stereotypes that you listed are just that: silly. people don't marry their siblings, and fried turkey is very tasty. i've always found that people living in those areas are, besides generally being some of the warmest and friendliest people you meet, extremely hard working and self reliant. yes, there are problems in rural areas, but the problems faced there are hardly exclusive to those areas. i always get a big kick out the folks who will blindly support one team, no matter what side.

i also get a big kick out of liberals who act so offended at the slightest remark when it suites them, yet are always so quick to equate the opposing team with the lowest common denominator, very easy to do. example: all the people who voted for obama were lazy, illiterate, skeleton-like drug addicted minorities who have for generations lived off welfare, and were bused to the polling stations with the promise of free coffee and donuts. see how easy that is, whether there is any merit to it or not?

Re: Government & Politics - 04/11/13 03:14 AM

The Internal Revenue Service is collecting a lot more than taxes this year -- it's also acquiring a huge volume of personal information on taxpayers' digital activities, from eBay auctions to Facebook posts and, for the first time ever, credit card and e-payment transaction records, as it expands its search for tax cheats to places it's never gone before.

The IRS, under heavy pressure to help Washington out of its budget quagmire by chasing down an estimated $300 billion in revenue lost to evasions and errors each year, will start using "robo-audits" of tax forms and third-party data the IRS hopes will help close this so-called "tax gap." But the agency reveals little about how it will employ its vast, new network scanning powers.

Re: Government & Politics - 04/11/13 03:13 PM

Five Felonies, I have spent plenty of time in rural areas. I find them charming, beautiful and if I stayed in one for more than two weeks I would slash my throat because they are so boring.

As for your posts, I am always happy to see people, whether I agree with them or not, who do not use stereotypes and exaggerated generalizations to make their points. You of course are one of them because you never generalize. whistle

Re: Government & Politics - 04/12/13 04:31 AM

This is what Ann Coulter wrote about Meghan McCain, John McCin's daughter:

"MSNBC's Martin Bashir suggested that Republican senators need to have a member of their families killed for them to support the Democrats' gun proposals. (Let's start with Meghan McCain!)"

Re: Government & Politics - 04/12/13 10:40 AM

This is what Ann Coulter wrote about Meghan McCain, John McCin's daughter:

"MSNBC's Martin Bashir suggested that Republican senators need to have a member of their families killed for them to support the Democrats' gun proposals. (Let's start with Meghan McCain!)"

yes, another example of: you can't fix stupid.

Re: Government & Politics - 04/13/13 01:31 AM

Evangelical Christians want to hit Republicans right where it hurts: in the wallet. Tony Perkins, president of Christian advocacy group The Family Research Council, recently emailed supporters to say they shouldn't "send them a dime of your hard-earned money" until Republicans "grow a backbone." The backbone comment was referring to the ongoing debate about gay marriage. Perkins ain't kidding around on this; last month, he said born-again activists would "move to create a third party" if the Republican leadership caved on gay marriage. No votes and no money?

Re: Government & Politics - 04/22/13 01:36 PM

States like California, New York and Florida actually pay more taxes than they get back, so in essence all these crazy morons in the tea party states are living off the Federal dime and complaining about it all the way to the bank.
Moreover if you look at the stats of who voted for whom, it is no contest that the most educated people voted for Obama while the lesser educated people voted for Romney.
I'll add gratuitously that WHEN Obamacare kicks in, it will be the more educated, richer, slimmer people sunsidizing all those obese diabetic red state cretins who live on grease, and celebrate their weddings to their daughters and sisters with deep fried turkeys.

The cost of living and property values are much lower in the south, especially the cost of housing, so wages and taxes are lower. Plus the minority-heavy rural areas, particularly in the South, should also be considered when concerning which states received more federal spending than they paid in taxes, which states are better educated, and who's actually going to benefit from Obamacare.

Considering (California) is on the verge of bankruptcy probably not the best example to illustrate your point. While most red states (Texas) would be doing fine. WE would not be in this recession if it wasn't for Barney, and Dodd forcing the banks to give loans to everyone that could fog a mirror. They would rather make as many people as possible dependant on the gov't, give them just enough to survive but stay dependant.

Re: Government & Politics - 04/23/13 04:26 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Tax-free shopping on the Internet could be in jeopardy under a bill making its way through the Senate.

The bill would empower states to require online retailers to collect state and local sales taxes for purchases made over the Internet. The sales taxes would be sent to the states where a shopper lives.

Under current law, states can only require stores to collect sales taxes if the store has a physical presence in the state. As a result, many online sales are essentially tax-free, giving Internet retailers a big advantage over brick-and-mortar stores.

The Senate voted 74 to 20 Monday to take up the bill. If that level of support continues, the Senate could pass the bill as early as this week.

Re: Government & Politics - 04/23/13 05:40 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Tax-free shopping on the Internet could be in jeopardy under a bill making its way through the Senate.

The bill would empower states to require online retailers to collect state and local sales taxes for purchases made over the Internet. The sales taxes would be sent to the states where a shopper lives.

Under current law, states can only require stores to collect sales taxes if the store has a physical presence in the state. As a result, many online sales are essentially tax-free, giving Internet retailers a big advantage over brick-and-mortar stores.

The Senate voted 74 to 20 Monday to take up the bill. If that level of support continues, the Senate could pass the bill as early as this week.

What do you think about this oli ?

Re: Government & Politics - 04/23/13 06:55 PM

What do you think about this oli ? [/quote]

Texas sales tax and use does apply to internet sales, generally, under the physical presence provisions of State statutes. To what extent it gets collected or not, I don't know. I favor the federal law now negotiating the US Senate because it levels the playing field for all 50 states.

Re: Government & Politics - 04/23/13 06:57 PM

A bulk of online selling uses the escrow service PayPal which I'm sure everyone is familiar with. I remember about a year ago they said business's or individual sellers making more then $20K in revenue had to report taxes.

What do you think about this oli ?

Texas sales tax and use does apply to internet sales, generally, under the physical presence provisions of State statutes. To what extent it gets collected or not, I don't know. I favor the federal law now negotiating the US Senate because it levels the playing field for all 50 states. [/quote]

Re: Government & Politics - 05/29/13 03:09 PM

(CNN) - U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann, a conservative firebrand whose bid for president last year ended after the Iowa caucuses, will not seek re-election to her Minnesota congressional seat in 2014.

Re: Government & Politics - 05/29/13 05:56 PM

(CNN) - U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann, a conservative firebrand whose bid for president last year ended after the Iowa caucuses, will not seek re-election to her Minnesota congressional seat in 2014.

Last I heard from her she was saying that September 11 and Benghazi were judgments from God.

Whether it was her sagging approval numbers or the real possibility of losing an historically Republican seat to a Democrat next year, or the consequence of her FBI questioning, I'm thankful that Congresswill be rid of her paranoid bigoted fantasies.

She'll likely gravitate to FOX News, and when she becomes even too crazy for them (See: Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck), they'll jettison her.

Re: Government & Politics - 05/29/13 06:05 PM

Last I heard from her she was saying that September 11 and Benghazi were judgments from God.

Whether it was her sagging approval numbers or the real possibility of losing an historically Republican seat to a Democrat next year, or the consequence of her FBI questioning, I'm thankful that Congresswill be rid of her paranoid bigoted fantasies.

She'll likely gravitate to FOX News, and when she becomes even too crazy for them (See: Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck), they'll jettison her.

She won her seat last time around by 1% even though Romney won her district by 15%.

Re: Government & Politics - 05/31/13 06:31 PM

Interesting note: % of our GDP taken up by Deficit.

George W. Bush (when left office): 10%
Obama now: 6%

Craziest number: Our deficit % from 2007 to Dubya's exit jumped from over 1.5% to 10%.

Just remember this the next time one of the locals calls the President a Socialist.

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/05/31/confirmed-the-gop-is-the-party-of-debt/

Re: Government & Politics - 05/31/13 07:02 PM

Craziest number: Our deficit % from 2007 to Dubya's exit jumped from over 1.5% to 10%.

Just remember this the next time one of the locals calls the President a Socialist.

One might also note that annual federal budget deficits in FY2004 and FY2008 were in excess of $400 billion each year. Both were records at the time.

Re: Government & Politics - 05/31/13 10:04 PM

Not so fast, my friends. Although the CBO's revisions cut this year’s deficit by 1.3 percent of GDP, they only shrink the next 10 years’ projected deficits by 0.3 percent of GDP. The deficit is declining toward sustainable levels in the medium term, while demographic and health-care cost challenges will cause it to grow too large in the long term if we do not make "adjustments".

Of course, one *could* make the argument that we'd have had this thing under control 4 years ago if the Obama administration had not blown the TARP repayments and used that excessive level of spending from the wars as a new base-line for deficits of $1Trillion a year over trend. This and likely without spooking the labor markets and our nation's creditors, too.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/05/13 03:17 AM

Any thoughts from NY/NJ locals on that whole special election deal in NJ?

Re: Government & Politics - 06/05/13 01:19 PM

Re: Government & Politics - 06/07/13 09:12 PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- A reflective Glenn Beck said Thursday he regrets that some of his fiery opinions caused division in the country over the last several years.

He wasn't fully aware of the perilous times and people "at each other's throats," said the conservative radio host, who accepted a First Amendment award from Talkers magazine, the trade publication for his industry.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/08/13 02:23 AM

Seeing Malkin defend Obama is not something I would've ever expected to witness.
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: Government & Politics - 06/08/13 09:10 PM

'George W. Obama' isn't a very comfortable look for the president

From MSN.com

"Karl Rove's in his corner, but Al Gore isn't. So if Barack Obama looks in the mirror, or on the Internet, and doesn't recognize himself, it's no wonder. This creepy mashup of "George W. Obama" went viral after the Huffington Post posted it on the site's front page in the wake of revelations that communications companies have been sharing Americans' phone records with the National Security Agency. And for once, there's more outrage from the left (the ACLU called it "Orwellian") than the right, where a critic like former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer cackles that the president is "vindicating Bush." Obama's plea that "we're going to have some problems here" without trust seems to be true. It looks as if he has one."

http://now.msn.com/george-w-obama-viral-picture-shows-president-getting-attacks-from-the-left
Posted By: jace

Re: Government & Politics - 06/10/13 03:46 AM

Seeing Malkin defend Obama is not something I would've ever expected to witness.

Political parties are split on this, many Dems going other way from Obama, while many Republicans taking Obama side.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/10/13 02:34 PM

A quitter, just like that nit wit Sarah Palin.
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: Government & Politics - 06/11/13 01:18 AM

Obama is a great President! ( Wow, I said it) He's killed more terrorists then Bush did using drones! He also kept that nice prison in Cuba open as well! He also is listening in to every Americans phone Conversations. Hey, if u have nothing to hide then let them listen in.
Posted By: flattax

Re: Government & Politics - 06/11/13 01:25 AM

Obama is just "data mining" votes so he can let Hillary win in 2016. Don't think he's hunting down terrorists when he couldn't even get the Chechens' that were on the FBI watch list.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/11/13 07:24 PM

I wish Obama could run again in 2016! I love Obama! He's a bad ass when it comes to foreign policy! I call him the terminator because he's killing everybody with our drones! I may not love his domestic policies but his foreign policies are great!!!! Forget torture, he goes straight for the kill! He makes Bush look like a peace lover.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/11/13 11:08 PM

Wow. According to Gallup Poll former President Bush has a 49% approval rating right now. Obama has a 47% approval rating.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/11/13 11:11 PM

The health care bill mite destroy the Democratic Party. According to a recent poll only 40% of Americans know that Obama Care is the law of the land. WoW! How many people are going to be caught off guard in a few months when they get a letter in the mail from the IRS telling them that they will have to pay a fine if they do not PURCHASE health insurance! There are going to be a lot of pissed off voters out there that will hold the Democratic Party responsible.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/11/13 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Smitty
The health care bill mite destroy the Democratic Party. According to a recent poll only 40% of Americans know that Obama Care is the law of the land. WoW! How many people are going to be caught off guard in a few months when they get a letter in the mail from the IRS telling them that they will have to pay a fine if they do not PURCHASE health insurance! There are going to be a lot of pissed off voters out there that will hold the Democratic Party responsible.

And the clowns on the other side are any better?

Don't get me wrong, I hate both extremes and most politicians. But if you think we would have been any better off with a religious psycho like Bachmann or Santorum, you're out of your mind.

The two party system is broken, and both sides are to blame for pandering to their extreme lobbies. There isn't a politician currently in office that I have any respect for. They all suck.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/11/13 11:45 PM

And the clowns on the other side are any better?

Don't get me wrong, I hate both extremes and most politicians. But if you think we would have been any better off with a religious psycho like Bachmann or Santorum, you're out of your mind.

The two party system is broken, and both sides are to blame for pandering to their extreme lobbies. There isn't a politician currently in office that I have any respect for. They all suck.

You are the only person on this site who holds both sides responsible so i respect you.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/11/13 11:46 PM

^^^^
Thanks, buddy smile.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/12/13 01:24 AM

You are the only person on this site who holds both sides responsible so i respect you.

Madonne! Now he'll never stay in Throggs Neck.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/12/13 01:26 AM

I agree. All they care about is getting re-elected. They don't give a crap about you or me.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/12/13 03:27 AM

My coworker recently received an hysterical phone call from her son. He came home from school, found his father passed out on the bathroom floor and the toilet full of blood. She told him to call 911 and raced home. Long story short, her husband didn't want to go to the hospital and went to the doctor instead. While waiting for an appointment with a specialist, his doctor wanted him to have an abdominal CT scan. His insurance turned it down, saying he had to see a specialist first. That was weeks ago. He finally had his CT scan this past Friday. He found out today that he has cancer.

Gee, our current healthcare system is GREAT. We shouldn't try to change it one iota.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/13/13 03:17 PM

God bless the USA! If he lived in Canada or Europe he would of had to wait 6 months to see the doctor. Greatest country in the world we live in with the greatest health care system as well. Too bad in a few months our health care system will be like the other countries I mentioned. Also, under Obama Care how would your friend have been better off? Also, I hope he gets better.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/13/13 06:42 PM

Our medical system works if you have the money, otherwise it it sucks, and is by no meeans the best in the world. There are all kinds of mortality and other stats that support this.

Not to say that any of the systems in Europe are any good... for the most part they are awful as well.

Bottom line.. if you have the $$ the best medical care is in Boston,Mayo, Baltimore, New York, Houston and maybe LA in no particular order...but again, you need the money and contacts in some cases.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/13/13 07:26 PM

http://www.nationaljournal.com/domesticp...omy-is-20130612
Posted By: ht2

Re: Government & Politics - 06/13/13 07:34 PM

Currently, around 40 million people or so in the US have no health insurance coverage. In certain countries with universal healthcare (Switzerland, Japan etc.) losing all your assets to obtain medical care is unheard of and would be considered scandalous. In the US, it happens all the time.

I'm still skeptical Obamacare will work, especially with lack of commitment to curb illegal immigration and lawsuits.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/13/13 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: ht2
Currently, around 40 million people or so in the US have no health insurance coverage. In certain countries with universal healthcare (Switzerland, Japan etc.) losing all your assets to obtain medical care is unheard of and would be considered scandalous. In the US, it happens all the time.

I'm still skeptical Obamacare will work, especially with lack of commitment to curb illegal immigration and lawsuits.

It just snowballs into a big shit storm. CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia) are the biggest thieves. They generate a lot of revenue and profit. Yet they don't pay any taxes to the city, I believe they're a non-profit. I know a family in south phila that are selling their property, they transferred the name awhile ago out of the father's name so CHOP didn't take their home. The son is in his early 20's and has had hodgekin's disease and has had hospitalized over the years there. I tried selling the property but they wanted to much for it. I remember the guy showing me a bill for $60,000 from CHOP. They're the real south-philly loansharks.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/13/13 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: ht2

Obamcare is a first step, but I agree it has real problems. First there should have been a single payor system like medicare,and negotiations with drug companies regarding pricing, but the lobbies killed that. There should also be tort reform on the malpractice awards, that will come.
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Government & Politics - 06/13/13 10:19 PM

Health care is a big incentive and a pain in the ass. A majority of our deficit is because of our inept system. We spend more on that than anything else! On top of that no one on either side of the political spectrum can agree on how to fix it! Outrageous. I agree Obamacare is a step in the right direction, BUT it is by no stretch the tell all answer.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/14/13 03:40 PM

They are saying it will cost 100 millions dollars for Obama to travel to Africa. I say screw that, stay home and put the monmey someplace where real Americans can benifit from it!

This is getting way out of hand.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/14/13 06:12 PM

They are saying it will cost 100 millions dollars for Obama to travel to Africa. I say screw that, stay home and put the monmey someplace where real Americans can benifit from it!

Who is this They?

And second, are you suggesting communism?

Re: Government & Politics - 06/14/13 06:20 PM

Who is this They?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57589236/report-obamas-africa-trip-could-cost-$60-100-million/

http://now.msn.com/obama-africa-trip-could-cost-up-to-100-million-dollars

http://www.washingtonpost.com/video/thef...bb5a_video.html

Re: Government & Politics - 06/27/13 07:26 PM

I know people joked of how stupid Rick Perry was when he ran for President, but now him picking a personal fight with Wendy Davis confirms it. She's a "monster" that Perry and his state party created with their incompetence the other night, but no big deal since he's calling a special session to pass that abortion bill he wanted passed. Making a public point (or swipe, your interpretation) of how she was a teenage mother herself and proves that women don't need abortion isn't necessary...

Yeah sorry Rick but she's a state representative. You're the Governor. Who benefits more from you namechecking her? It only feeds her fame and stature from nobody to a star within the national liberal ranks. You've won the battle pal, you risk losing the war down the road.

Re: Government & Politics - 06/27/13 07:37 PM

I give Wendy lots of credit, ESPECIALLY when I heard how strict the TX filibuster rules are. You can't even go to the bathroom? panic You can't lean on the podium or go off topic. Holy crap! She got a strike against her (I guess you are allowed 3) because someone was helping her with a back brace? Are you kidding? confused

TIS

Re: Government & Politics - 06/27/13 08:01 PM

Who is this They?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57589236/report-obamas-africa-trip-could-cost-$60-100-million/

http://now.msn.com/obama-africa-trip-could-cost-up-to-100-million-dollars

http://www.washingtonpost.com/video/thef...bb5a_video.html

God forbid President Blackula has the audacity to fly around in Air Force One. Who does he think he is? A real American like Michelle Bachman or Rick Perry?

Re: Government & Politics - 06/28/13 04:52 PM

The House Oversight Committee has waived IRS employee's 5th amendment priviledge maintaining that she lost the priviledge during her last appearance before the Committee. She will now be compelled to testify.

Re: Government & Politics - 07/03/13 03:45 AM

Over the weekend the NYT reported that GOP strategists plan to use the age issue against Hillary Clinton if she runs in '16. This reminds me so much of Democrats who truely believe Chris Christie can be stopped by focusing on his weight.

It's a strategy seemingly drawn out of subconcious desperation and visceral hatred, one that is foolish if some people truely believe this is their kryptoite.

EDIT - Speaking of Christie, I see the Democrats in NJ are planning to use Gay marriage as a wedge against him. They're nuts if they think this will keep him from being re-elected.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/chris...y-marriage.html

Re: Government & Politics - 07/10/13 02:59 AM

This is a bigger scandal than Benghazi.

© 2024 GangsterBB.NET