Home

How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy

Posted By: southphilly old head

How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 08:58 AM

Im in Margate NJ, trying to tighten up my house before the big storm. Please tell me its not gona hit direct!!!
Posted By: olivant

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 02:58 PM

"our"?
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 03:10 PM

You know what's sad? There are people out there, both sides, who are praying that Sandy take out certain districts and affect an upcoming election.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 04:08 PM

When exactly is it suppose to hit? Sometime today? Good luck to everyone. Stay safe and take necessary precautions. Take nothing for granted.

smile

TIS
Posted By: SC

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 04:37 PM

The storm will start dumping on us Sunday night and the worst of it will be Monday. We'll still feel effects on Tuesday.

It's forecasted to come ashore in southern Jersey. That is the worst case scenario for NYC (the effects are always worst in the right quadrant of the storm). This may be the worst storm to hit the City in its history. Lower Manhattan MAY end up underwater!!

I'm expecting to be without electrical power for at least a few days. (I bought a propane camp stove and some propane this morning, so I'll be able to cook, at least).

The thing that worries me most is the potential for wind damage (70 mph gusts are predicted). I have a big old tree right next to the house... I pray that if it comes down, it falls AWAY from the house. I'll move my car across the street where there are no trees.

Got lots of canned food and the car is gassed up; all portable electronics are being charged now. I am really NOT looking forward to this. Being without electricity for a week last year (Tropical Storm Irene) was enough to last me a lifetime.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 04:47 PM

It's great to be prepared (as much as possible for these major storms) I know here in CA you can buy earthquake kits with items you'll need (including food), if necessary. YET, I don't know anyone (myself included) who is that prepared. frown

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 04:58 PM

You get no warning with an earthquake. There was plenty of time for me to do what I needed to do in preparation for this storm.

I got all my non-perishable food shopping done. I had time to buy a few storm-related items (i.e. the propane stove). I gassed up my car, etc.....
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
The storm will start dumping on us Sunday night and the worst of it will be Monday. We'll still feel effects on Tuesday.

It's forecasted to come ashore in southern Jersey. That is the worst case scenario for NYC (the effects are always worst in the right quadrant of the storm). This may be the worst storm to hit the City in its history. Lower Manhattan MAY end up underwater!!

I'm expecting to be without electrical power for at least a few days. (I bought a propane camp stove and some propane this morning, so I'll be able to cook, at least).

The thing that worries me most is the potential for wind damage (70 mph gusts are predicted). I have a big old tree right next to the house... I pray that if it comes down, it falls AWAY from the house. I'll move my car across the street where there are no trees.

Got lots of canned food and the car is gassed up; all portable electronics are being charged now. I am really NOT looking forward to this. Being without electricity for a week last year (Tropical Storm Irene) was enough to last me a lifetime.

Wow...I don't know what I'm going to do I might use some frequent flyer miles and go down to SOBE for a week

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
Wow...I don't know what I'm going to do I might use some frequent flyer miles and go down to SOBE for a week

Where are you now?
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 05:14 PM

i'm more worried about rain then the wind where we are. our property backs up to a river, and last year with irene we got about 8 1/2 inches of rain and the water got close enough start getting me a little worried. we live on a 500 year flood plain, which means historically, on average there we be one flood big enough to reach our house every 500 years. hear we are with two major storms in 2 years.

i have some friends in the mountains of eastern west virginia, and they may get up to 2 feet of snow, not really dangerous but up there power outages are a definate and the roads get so blocked with snow, ice, and fallen debris that you are literally trapped.

these are my preparations:

one of these, and i have already started making insane amounts of ice so that i don't have to suffer through the horror of warm beer, and a bottle of this to "steralize" any injuries a might sustain

i also have a bunch of candles, a few good books/magazines, a little portable dvd player that runs on batteries and plenty of easy to prepare food.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 05:34 PM

Me & Becky did some shopping last night. went to 3 different stores. Alot of the shelves were empty and the stores were crowded. I don't know the updates how Sandy is gonna hit here. PS. I have a Sis-in-law named Sandy. lol

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 05:38 PM

^^ I like your food preparations, F_F. smile
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 05:40 PM

Im worried about the subway if it gets shut down....

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don

I'd be surprised if Bloomberg keeps it open. I think lower Manhattan is gonna flood.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 05:50 PM

I'd be surprised if Bloomberg keeps it open. I think lower Manhattan is gonna flood.
seems like a definate possibility, all depending on where exactly the storm makes landfall. storm surge seems to be the main threat effecting nyc, and as you mentioned earlier the upper right quadrent as the rotation and wind will just force that water where it doesn't belong.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 05:51 PM

Thats what I am thinking as well, guess I will "work" from home

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 06:35 PM

I just left the margate Nj area. The stores are all empty It's like a movie. I feel bad for the old people! Good luck everyone!!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 07:11 PM

from a differnet storm, but still funny!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 07:15 PM

Im heading out now to stock up on food/booze at BJs Wholesale Club. Look forward to relaxing with/without the storm in my area in the upcoming days.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 07:29 PM

From what I've heard, Bloomberg will make the decision about the subways on Sunday night.

And, as far as the subway system goes, Brooklyn would certainly have more than its share of problems from all the rain: Lots of subway lines in my borough are at least partially underground for certain stretches, and pretty much all of them are below ground level as they get closer to Manhattan. Other boroughs have similar situations to contend with. The water's got to go somewhere, right?
So, for now we keep glued to our TV's and radios, etc., and we wait...

Signor V.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 07:31 PM

I drove up to New Rochelle to do some shopping this morning. By the looks of the Stop and Shop, you'd think we were getting three feet of snow. Old ladies were fighting over quarts of milk lol.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Old ladies were fighting over quarts of milk lol.

You should have seen me this morning. I think you would have laughed. I wanted a Coleman propane stove and Target was selling them. I looked online and my local Target store had "limited quantities" of them with propane. I was at the front door of the store at 8:00 a.m. (their opening time) along with about a dozen other people. As soon as the doors opened a few went running towards the Sporting Goods/Outdoors section. I eyed an old lady and she eyed me as we both saw the only two remaining cans of propane. She got them. mad

It wasn't fair to me, though.... she was about 8 months pregnant, so it was like two against one. To make it even worse, her seeing eye dog tried to bite me.

Old bitch!

(Seriously, though), one woman beat me to the last two cans of propane. I was lucky to find a supply at Home Depot, about two miles away.

The mentality of us buying stuff for a storm amazes me ... milk, bread and eggs are the first things that everyone buys. What is our fascination with French toast?

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 08:25 PM

We couldn't find any jugs of water at the three stores we went to.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 08:33 PM

Luckily I always stick up on water in Philly so I'm good with that. I just hate the thought of power going out!!! That's when it gets serious!!!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 08:38 PM

Yeah, we're directly on the water in Throggs Neck (Eastchester Bay). It doesn't flood as often as you might think, but when it does, oh boy. To lose power on top of that is a nightmare. Funny thing is, during Irene we kept our power and only flooded a bit in the garage.

Conversely, my brother lives way up in Northern Westchester, allegedly way above sea level, and he really got hammered by Irene. That slut.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/27/12 08:43 PM

Mayor Nutter is going to announce a state of emergency from 5 Sunday to 5 Tuesday
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 12:04 AM

The thing that worries me most is the potential for wind damage (70 mph gusts are predicted). I have a big old tree right next to the house... I pray that if it comes down, it falls AWAY from the house.

Same here. There's a big old Oak tree right next to the house that recently died. It'd either fall on my roof, the neighbor's roof, on my car, on the neighbor's car, or, onto the power lines. Those are the only options. whistle I wish I had the $ to have it taken down this Summer, because if not a hurricane, a blizzard could bring it down as well. ohwell

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff
There's a big old Oak tree right next to the house that recently died. It'd either fall on my roof, the neighbor's roof, on my car, on the neighbor's car, or, onto the power lines. Those are the only options.

Move your car.

D'uh!!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 12:10 AM

Becky has 2 big trees in the back yard. Little scary.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 12:38 AM

Move your car.

D'uh!!

I suppose I could park it on the side of the house, but with my luck, my neighbor's tree would fall on it! wink I'd rather not park in the street during something like this. Some wackadoos will drive no matter what it's like out!
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
"our"?

One of those Olivant cryptic messages, hmmmmm. Ya got me.

SO Philly, abandoning Margate? Wise move. My son-in-law owns the True Value store on Margate. They are boarding up Sunday. I'm in EHT on high ground lol, but I should be alright. We survived Irene OK, but ground water made my sump pump come on. My daughter and grandkids will be camping out at my house starting tomorrow. They live in Linwood; not on the barrier island, but in the lowlands.

Thursday I bought water and vodka. I'm making ice. Full tank of gas, lots of batteries, cash. This morning at 7am Shop Rite was full of folks; water, bread, ice. Who eats all that bread? French toast, right SC?

Mother Nature is one nasty bitch. I think she's pissed about all that carbon dioxide we're spitting into the ozone, or it's just the cycle of nature. Maybe its Obama's fault.

Good Luck everyone in the Northeast. Hey Geoff you're gonna take this one on the chin. Stand tough GF.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 02:01 AM

Marycas.please stay tough cause this one might be the one we didnt get last year! My house is a summer home that i own but had to go down to take all the outside furniture in. shut off the water,and clean the fridge out! As far as Olivant is concerned the our should have been are???

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 02:26 AM

Are you guys all prepared and are you home? Snug as a bug in a rug? Is it rainy or windy or stormy at all yet?

Be safe.
smile

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 03:30 AM

im back home in south philly and you can feel the dampness in the air as theres a slight wind and around 60 degrees!
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 04:12 AM

Went to three stores today, and nobody had D batteries. My husband went to buy some lumber to build a shelter for the chicken coop, and he said that people were sweeping flashlights off the shelves and into their carriages. How many do they think they'll need??? What are you going to do - carry six at a time??

My daughter works in the wireless kiosk at our local Costco. She was late for work because she couldn't find a parking space. She said the lines in the store were ridiculous.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 04:19 AM

I have plenty of Dewars and lots off water/ gona order a couple of pizzas in the afternoon and put them on the side so i have something to pick on of course after i have my raviolis and meatballs. Also have lots of homemade wine!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 06:09 AM

I don't get the people in the frozen food aisle. Power goes out, not only can't you heat it up, but it might even go bad anyway.

Walmart had no D batteries, either, for my radio, but my iPhone should suffice for local radio. I don't think they ever had 6v lantern batteries, but I should be good for a couple days there. Picked up 2 water bottles for my water cooler (I have 3 at a time, two were empty). Picked up a couple buckets just in case, and stuff to barricade the downstairs door in case water tries to come in (it did a couple years ago when I wasn't home, cuz the drain was clogged. I adjusted for that). Got some canned goods, BREAD (lol, American Cheese sandwiches!). Not milk, wtf? Been making ice. Plenty of booze. Old iPhone's charged via the new UPS battery backup (so that works). Cordless razor all charged up. New car charger in the car. Greenhouse canopy removed, and brought into the garage with everything else that could blow away. Grill moved to the side of the house, wedged behind a tree. Got the Steve Jobs book for $12 pre-owned on Amazon; 600 pages will last me a few months lol.

Anything I missed I'll run out for tomorrow like everyone else. But there shouldn't be anything important. Just that damn tree I'm worried mostly about!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 10:14 AM

Nothing yet, no wind, even some clear skies. I'll be going to church at 10:30. I'll pray for all your asses. I can do that in church, it's Ok....I think. wink

Correction: Wind is picking up (7:05 am)

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 12:00 PM

All the computer models are coming into agreement about where the storm will make landfall. That spot appears to be near Toms River, New Jersey (no kidding, that's where Geoff is).

The Jersey shore is gonna take a particularly hard hit. This could be bigger than the infamous nor'easter of 1962 when the shore was decimated. Local tv is showing pictures of the area and the sea is really churning already.

My area (about 40 miles north) will be getting less rain but the winds should be pretty bad. It's already pretty breezy.

Stay safe all my friends!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 01:05 PM

The National Hurricane Center has just released a statement warning of "LIFE THREATENING" storm surges in NYC and Long Island. eek

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 01:22 PM

Right now 57 and overcast. Winds at 15mph and no rain yet

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 02:15 PM

NY Governor Cuomo is closing the City's subways as of 7:00 p.m. tonight. This VERY RARELY happens! City buses will stop running as of 9:00 p.m.
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 03:28 PM

I hope the prediction of only 2-4" of rain for NYC is true. I can deal with the wind and power failures. I don't want to deal with water in my basement.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 03:42 PM

We're supposed to get slammed too. I have plenty of D batteries and a few 6 volt batteries. Flashlights and candles are fine for me; I always pass on the generators (and they are, of course, sold out everywhere).

Geoff is right about the frozen food. Stock up on that, which can be cooked on a gas grill. I'm getting ice ready too. I have a large cooler and a cambro that can stay cold for 5 days.

Like Lou, my concern is mostly on the rain. I escaped fine on the last storm, but my neighbor had $100,000 damage to his basement. I checked all the gutters and downpouts.

This is going to be crazy.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 03:54 PM

on top of all the booze that i stocked up on, i just threw together a huge batch of meatballs and now i'm starting a batch of marinara. once everything is done, you only have to heat it up as we have a gas stove and a grill so thats not much of a concern. when everyone else is eating shit, i will have a nice home cooked meal that will require very little effort to serve.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 03:57 PM

The current predicted track looks like Atlantic City is the bullseye.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 08:55 PM

We filled up jugs and pots with water, just in case flooding taints the drinking water. We also have extra ice in case things need to go in the cooler. I washed out empty quarts of half and half and used them and empty plastic containers to make big blocks of ice that will last if we lose power. We went everywhere to find D batteries, but no luck. My husband went out this morning and got bags of dirt in case we need to barricade our garage door from water as we did during Hurricane Floyd.

One year my company gave out flashlights that you crank to recharge, so we have a couple of those in addition to two regular ones and tons of candles.

My daughter, who goes to school in Manhattan, happened to be home this weekend. Her school is closed tomorrow, so we don't have to worry about getting her back. My other daughter commutes to school, and her college is closed Monday and Tuesday. This is going to be quite the weather event.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 09:12 PM

It started raining around 3 and its a cold rain! The winds are not to bad yet. One thing I did do is start drinking so if I lose power I probably won't give a shit!! Just kidding

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 11:16 PM

7:09 pm. Just for reference, I'm 7 miles as the sea gull flies from the ocean; southwest of Atlantic City. It's been raining since 1 pm, moderate wind. Local weather is saying tomorrow am 65-75 mph wind, rain 5-10 inches. Atlantic City flood record is 9 ft above normal, they are predicting 9.5. Bad combination of Full Moon, High Tides, 8am/8pm Monday. Could exceed Nor'easter of 1962 as far as damage.

A.C. casinos shut down at 3pm. There are many low-lying areas in A.C. Roads will be flooded.

Just finished dinner. Daughter and grandkids are here. We're ready; batteries, water, food, ice, coolers, etc.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 11:33 PM

That's not good for my house in margate. I did just order 2 pizzas cause I don't mind eating cold or leftover pizza just in case. Stay safe Marycas and good luck!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 11:34 PM

In Margate the streets get flooded for a lot less

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 11:38 PM

DC and Philly have also suspended service of their public transit systems, and DC has closed all government offices (both local & federal) tomorrow.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 11:47 PM

So has Philly, there will be no high speed lines, subway service , patco, or Amtrak service and bus service, from 1230 am Monday to Tuesday when conditions get better. All schools and colleges are closed till Wednesday

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/28/12 11:55 PM

NY City subway shut down. The whole area is basically in shut down mode. Ride out the storm.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 01:37 AM

Why does he need a name card? (It's for Joe's benefit, right?)

Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 01:48 AM

Greetings from Massachusetts. Everywhere from Boston to Cape Cod is shut down or closed in preparation for the storm. I can hear the wind howling outside my window.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 02:22 AM

Really weird right now! Its not raining at all! Probably the calm before the storm!
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 02:36 AM

getting hit hard in illinois

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
NY City subway shut down. The whole area is basically in shut down mode. Ride out the storm.

There'll be no trading on the Stock Exchange tomorrow.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 03:53 AM

local schools & businesses are closed tomorrow. My Son still has to go to work in the morning. We've had very little wind today just alot of rain so far.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 04:02 AM

Man I hope you all do ok because all this set-up sounds like the beginning of a disaster movie, the sort that ends with the ruins of NYC becoming a futuristic masxium security prison and only accessible by glider plane.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Man I hope you all do ok because all this set-up sounds like the beginning of a disaster movie, the sort that ends with the ruins of NYC becoming a futuristic masxium security prison and only accessible by glider plane.

And Ernest Borgnine ain't around anymore to drive a taxi.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 04:27 AM

Still no rain in the area and 56 degrees and 20 mph winds Monday from 1 pm to 6am tues we are gona get wacked with the heaviest rain and wind

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 04:30 AM

No rain down in the Bronx so far, oh well. Got the word that the office will be closed for the next few days.

Now excuse me while I continue to consume the alcohol that I have purchased to ride out this Hurricane.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 06:35 AM

Seems to be the calm before the storm... had some rain earlier, but now just a bit of wind... when I wake up, I'm expecting a hellstorm -- and it won't even be the worst of it yet!

I hope they're wrong, but good luck/wishes for those in the area! Be smart, careful, and safe!

If (when) power goes out tomorrow, I probably won't check in here much to save my battery -- but will on FB when I can. Catch up with y'all soon!
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 06:36 AM

I hope everyone stays safe. Please check in when you can. Exactly when the worst of it will be over?

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 06:45 AM

Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Exactly when the worst of it will be over?

Early Wednesday I think ohwell ... a long time to sit thru something like this I think (and that doesn't mean power will be back then, just the brute force to be out of the area) ohwell

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 06:53 AM

Exactly when the worst of it will be over?

Early Wednesday I think ohwell ... a long time to sit thru something like this I think (and that doesn't mean power will be back then, just the brute force to be out of the area) ohwell

I know, I know. I hope the damages are minimal and everything gets fixed fast later on.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 06:58 AM

I hope the damages are minimal and everything gets fixed fast later on.

Me, too... and thank you, sweetheart! smile
Posted By: scarfacetm

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 10:01 AM

Welp, right now up here we're just getting a ton of wind and some rain, but Dunkin Donuts is still open so all is good for now.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 10:35 AM

Just drove into Jersey and no rain yet. From what the news is saying, rain won't be the issue for us up here, 2-4". It will be the wind and storm surge.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 01:20 PM

Winds are picking up here now. We've had (locally) a gust to 47 mph already. The storm is still at least 6-8 hours away from when it will get to its worst.

I don't know how much longer I'll have power (the local authority is already reporting 10,000 outages) but I expect to be in the dark soon for at least a few days (warnings are predicting a 7-10 day period).

Be safe, everyone.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 02:43 PM

A few miscellaneous news items:

* A good part of Atlantic City is already underwater.

* NYC will be closing the Holland Tunnel and Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel this afternoon. (These are two major traffic thoroughfares in and out of Manhattan).

* The Stock Exchange is closed today and MAY close tomorrow. If it does (closes tomorrow) it will be the first time since the Great Blizzard of 1888 that it's been shuttered two days in a row (due to weather).

* The next high tide will be around 8:30 p.m. at the Battery (the lower part of Manhattan - near the World Trade Center and Wall Street). The predictions for it are that it will be a record setting surge and may flood lower Manhattan.

* Sandy is STILL getting stronger! The latest information (just coming out) is showing sustained winds of 90 mph. It now holds the record for the lowest barometer on record north of Cape Hatteras, NC.
Posted By: Don Zadjali

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 02:50 PM

I hope everyone will be safe.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 02:56 PM

In south Philly it's really not bad for us so far, The temp is 53 and the winds are around 25 to 40 mph. I drank myself to sleep last night. Probably do the same today. Dunkin Donuts is open and so far so good ! Waiting for sandy herself!' Hang in everybody!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 03:16 PM

I just lost a big branch off the tree in front of my house.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 03:58 PM

Dunkin Donuts is the shit.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 04:53 PM

All sounds pretty scary stuff, be safe all my American friends..

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 05:53 PM

If there is any good news, it is that the storm is now moving faster than originally anticipated.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Lou
If there is any good news, it is that the storm is now moving faster than originally anticipated.

That'll save the Battery from having a high tide at the moment of landfall.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 06:05 PM

That'll save the Battery from having a high tide at the moment of landfall.

Let's hope.
Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 06:14 PM

Hope you all keep safe! I'll be thinking of you guys.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 06:46 PM

There's a breaking story from midtown Manhattan. A LARGE construction crane is now hanging down the side of a building. Apparently a building was having some construction work done at 57th and 7th and a crane was left atop the building. Somehow, apparently, the wind knocked it over.... this crane is huge! It's boom is about 100 feet long!!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 06:52 PM

^^It's on CNN. Crazy!!!

I was thinking about Ground Zero and all the construction down there, hopefully there's no setbacks...

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 07:09 PM

Here's a picture of the crane.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 07:30 PM

Good luck to all my friends in the "eye of the storm." Be careful, stay safe. I hope it turns out to be not as bad as most think.

Take care. I'm thinking of you guys. smile

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 07:38 PM

They are evacuating all the buildings near the crane collapse in case it falls on the street below.

All highways in CT are closed. All NJ Transit and PATH trains are canceled, and all bus service into Port Authority Bus Terminal is suspended. NYC schools are closed for the second day in a row. Huge chunks of the FDR Drive, the Bronx River Parkway and the Garden State Parkway are shut down. The Tappan Zee Bridge is closing as of 4:00 pm.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 07:54 PM

A few miscellaneous news items:

* A good part of Atlantic City is already underwater.

Anyone else who notices the irony?

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 08:05 PM

They just flashed on the news that parts of the Atlantic City boardwalk are floating away.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
They just flashed on the news that parts of the Atlantic City boardwalk are floating away.

eek

The storm is still about an hour away from making landfall near there.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 08:21 PM

is this worse than irene?
are you guys just staying in your house or did you evacuate

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 09:11 PM

somewhere in southern nj...

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 10:59 PM

Building collapse in the West Village

http://www.businessinsider.com/major-building-collapse-in-manhattan-at-8th-and-14th-street-2012-10

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 11:16 PM

We are so lucky when it comes to weather. We are done with the rain only 2.6 inches compared with the 4 to 8 inches they predicted. Now all we have to do is get by the wind

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 11:32 PM

So far so good here. Rain ended hours ago, but still quite windy. Power's still on on my block, tho the rest of the neighborhood has been out since mid-afternoon. (That's happened before because I'm apparently on a different grid or something)

My part of NJ looks pretty clear of rain on the maps right now, but the rain is expected back late tonight, throughout the night, into tomorrow. But the winds should be dying down later tonight. We'll see...

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 11:37 PM

As for my house down in margate well that's another story! They say the eye is going right over margate!!!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 11:43 PM

Yea up here its just wind and rain, i guess the power went out for a little bit when i was asleep both it came right back on so who knows. Its no different here than it was when irene hit so hopefully it stays that way.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/29/12 11:59 PM

we had a couple of huge trees snap on our property, they were around a foot thick. back in the woods there were some massive trees that snapped, really loud. we have some siding that has blown off, and the same for the gutters. pretty minor when you consider what some other people are going through. we really haven't had that much rain though, which is good because flooding was my main concern.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 12:31 AM

Most of my family back in the Crabby State have lost power and cell signals, but have been able to send me sporadic updates whenever their signals popped back up. I know Ocean City, MD is a disaster zone right now. The worst my family has suffered so far is a huge branch falling down in the back yard, taking down most of their fence. Hopefully that is the worst of it.

You guys (and gals) hang in there! This is one particular instance where I am NOT homesick!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 01:22 AM

Hey guys im getting bad reports out of New York Tell me were ok??

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 01:44 AM

heard the subway is flooded

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 04:25 AM

Anderson Cooper just said on Twitter that the NYU Medical Center power went out and the backup generator failed.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Anderson Cooper just said on Twitter that the NYU Medical Center power went out and the backup generator failed.

That's awful. panic

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 12:39 PM

I hope everyone is safe and sound on the East Coast..

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 01:48 PM

New Orleans hurricane advice for NYC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rjhWPSnc_2c

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 02:21 PM

I found this interesting.

http://theweek.com/article/index/235574/apocalypse-now

"As much as we like to make fun of disaster preparedness, with its acronyms and power points, we also have to acknowledge something profound, which is that these big institutions can actually learn from their mistakes and can make decisions that save millions of lives. If climate change is functionally changing the globe's weather, then experts in this area have to evolve themselves to catch up. Since Katrina, FEMA has become an incredibly agile and forward-leaning agency and it never gets credit for it.

So far, at least as I type this, everything is working as it should. Warnings are dire, but people are heeding them. The devastation is potentially crippling, but folks are acting proactively. The person at ConEd who made the call to pre-emptively shut off power to lower Manhattan so that, when the flood waters recede, it can be restarted much more quickly, deserves a prize of some sort. Yes! Do more of that! Be accountable for your decision, but, yes, be smart about stuff. We can cheer for that. The federal government is working well with its state and local partners, as New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will attest. Utilities pre-mobilized thousands of workers. The stock exchange wisely decided that Howard Roark didn't have the power to stop storm surges, and that even the economy can take a break to ride out the storm. Will people lose money? Sure. The right call? Totally."

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 02:27 PM

I'm A-OK here. Only lost power for about 30 minutes last night, tho it was going on/off many times before that for a minute at a time. The ol' Oak is still standing, my biggest concern. Some downed branches, a piece of siding got lose, but that's about it. I was very lucky!

Friend of mine had a tree fall onto her roof and has some major damage. Another is suspected to be flooded. DMC up north is without power, and could be for many days. Lots of power outages across the region. I hope to hear from Don Cardi -- lots of flooding in his area. I imagine SC is out, too. I just hope everyone in the region is okay and we hear from them soon!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 02:40 PM

CNN mistakenly reported last night that the NYSE flooded. Yeah thanks guys.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 03:18 PM

I hope everyone is safe and fine, there's so many rumors and false news spreading around

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 03:22 PM

I know that SB and SC both lost power last night. It was very very windy SB said but they are ok (thankfully) I'm sure they will give us more details when they can return to the board.

Stay safe my friends!! smile

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 03:42 PM

Thanks for the update JG. Please keep us posted.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 04:08 PM

I lost power very briefly (few seconds) last night after midnight while watching an HBO movie on Ronald Reagan. But have emerged unscathed from the storm. I have a number of friends who were evacuated/lost power in Zone A/Manhattan, and some family in Red Hook (Brooklyn) who lost power and had their SUV burned (flooded then fire) and their other car completely submerged in water. Everybody is safe, which is the most important part.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 06:55 PM

I went to my parents house to help them out and stayed their over night. We lost power around 830- 9 PM EST and it didn't come back on till around 10 this morning. Thankfully my neighbor had a generator that we shared and I hooked up to the sub pump so our basement didn't flood.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 07:27 PM

Our area's a mess. We lost a magnificent white birch from the front of our house, which thankfully missed the house and the cars parked in the driveway. Two of our neighbors' trees fell on our fence, one badly damaging it. Thankfully that's been the extent of our damage. We were without power from about 8 last night until 1:30 this afternoon. Not bad at all.

My oldest daughter's college is closed for the week, and my younger daughter's school hasn't posted yet when it plans to open. Their website is down and so is email, so we can only call the hotline. However, it's located in Chelsea, which is supposed to be pretty bad, so I'm guessing it might be closed. How we would get her back is a mystery because the trains are shut down and so are parts of the highway.

To me, the most frightening was this fire in Queens. Estimates now are that at least 80 homes were destroyed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/massive-fire-blazing-breezy-point-queens-article-1.1194958

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 07:53 PM

I really hope Don Cardi is okay... Stuck Staten Island residents ask local leaders for rescue eek

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 08:01 PM

I sent him a text on Sunday night, but never got a response.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 08:03 PM

Glad to see you back SB! smile

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 08:06 PM

Thanks, Afs! Considering that this was a windstorm vs. rain did it.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

I sent him a text on Sunday night, but never got a response.

Oh no! I hope he's ok. Let us know if you hear anything.
Btw, those pictures of that fire are amazing. How scary.

smile

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 08:17 PM

39 people have died so far... Very sad..

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 09:18 PM

Glad to hear everybody so far if they have damage it was minimal. Sad to hear about 39 people dying

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 10:03 PM

Btw, Can they do anything about the crane dangling from that tall building yet? Isn't it possible it could just fall? And who knows where it would fall?? How scary is that? panic They had to have cleared out a large area of buildings/houses in that immediate area no?

TIS
Posted By: Mark

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 10:04 PM

Wow - I just saw the news clips from the helicopter shots of Seaside Heights, NJ. So devastating! I pray all you guys are doing okay and damage/loss is minimal. Thanks for checking in, guys... it's really good to know you are doing well under the circumstances. Carmela - you guys okay?

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 10:16 PM

They did evacuate people from the surrounding buildings.

"New York City evacuated neighbors of a nearly completed, 90-story luxury apartment building on Monday after the top of a construction crane collapsed in high winds, prompting fears the crane's boom could crash to the ground.

Firefighters closed streets for several blocks surrounding the site, evacuated 300 apartments in three buildings and were preparing to evacuate more, a Fire Department spokesman said."

For More: ChicagoTribune.com

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 10:48 PM

Hi All,

Lost power at 2pm yesterday. Lots of wind, lots of rain.

Family was camped out at my house from Sunday afternoon. Monday afternoon until 10 pm yesterday was very intense. Tuesday morning SIL and I went to his house....POWER!. We relocated.

Shore towns are a mess. Atlantic City a mess. Water everywhere. Sections of the Boardwalk gone. Lots of water everywhere. Will takes weeks, months to restore.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 11:11 PM

Thanks for checking in MC. Glad, in spite of everything,you and your family are ok. smile

Still haven't heard from Don Cardi.

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/30/12 11:12 PM

ComfortablySmug, the Twitter name who falsely reported (and later picked up by the blogosphere and media) for perverse kicks and giggles that the Stock Exchange flooded and total Manhattan blackout, is the sort of asshole you wish somebody would beat up. The sort of douche who would yell "fire!" in a movie theatre. Too bad the anonymous nature of the Internet protects your identity.

NOT.

Quote:
What @comfortablysmug didn’t count on, apparently, was losing that anonymity. Based on photos he censored and posted to the account but I found unedited elsewhere, @comfortablysmug is Shashank Tripathi, a hedge-fund analyst and the campaign manager of Christopher R. Wight, this year’s Republican candidate for the U.S. House from New York’s 12th congressional district. FEC documents show Wight has paid Tripathi thousands of dollars this election cycle as a "consultant." @comfortablysmug has been a vocal supporter of Mitt Romney and posted tweets suggesting he attended this year’s Republican convention. He’s listed here by a local Republican group coordinating volunteers for a Romney phone bank.

http://gofwd.tumblr.com/post/34640321762/shashank-tripathi-last-nights-twitter-villain

Anybody up for putting quarters in their socks?
Posted By: goombah

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/31/12 12:44 AM

Glad to see our east coast BB members are okay. I hope Don Cardi checks in. I am in OH and felt 67mph winds all last night. I find that incredible given how far we are from the east coast. But it was a testament to the strength of this ferocious storm.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/31/12 01:28 AM

My brother, who lives in Flatbush, Brooklyn, didn't lose power--not even satellite TV--though downed tree limbs crushed several cars in his neighborhood. But his son and daughter in law who live in Long Island will be without power for 10 days, according to the authorities.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/31/12 01:49 AM

Glad to hear from you, guys! We just found out that one of my husband's coworkers was killed by a falling tree. So terribly sad.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/31/12 02:04 AM

This is amazing. A scuba diver in the subway. uhwhat (I assume it's not a photoshop)

Wow!!!

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/31/12 02:27 AM

i cant get into Margate and been trying to call my neighbor all day, i hope that area and all affected by it manage through it. Marycas im glad everthing eventually worked out for you and your family!!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/31/12 02:39 AM

Thats definitley not a real photo. That would have meant 2 goofs went down there one to take the picture and also the water is way to clean

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/31/12 03:35 AM

its definitely photoshop. if you look on the tiled floor, you can see spots of water contrasting with dry parts. Not to mention the contrast of the divers hands compared to the rest of the image, and the fact the lights are still on when, with that amount of water, they would of shorted out.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/31/12 08:20 AM

Below is a link to the BBC website with some pictures of the Hurricanes destruction..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20138994

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/31/12 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: southphilly old head
i cant get into Margate and been trying to call my neighbor all day, i hope that area and all affected by it manage through it. Marycas im glad everthing eventually worked out for you and your family!!

Thanks SOH. You still can't get on the island and if you do get off they won't let you back on. Lots of water. It might drain quite a bit today. SILs store is still closed. No electric. If I hear anything today, I'll post. I made it to work today.

Niece lost two cars. Oak came down and got both in the driveway; one completely flattened. Two trees in the back yard and they both missed the house. This was in High Bridge, NJ.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/31/12 03:23 PM

Missed most of this on the news cos i was in Krakow. You guys have had a hell of a time frown

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/31/12 06:45 PM

Quick update as I sit in my car charging my phone -- power went out last night at 9:30... The day AFTER the storm... and it's still out :-/ But hanging in there -- at least some businesses around here have power. Will be in touch....

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 10/31/12 07:34 PM

The storm roared through Central PA, but we never lost power. Our damage was insignificant. Most of the places around us that did lose power have had it restored, and clean up was pretty minor.

Best of luck to all of you in NY/NJ. Hang in there.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 12:40 AM

That story about the woman losing her kids in that surge really is a gut punch.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 03:32 PM

Has anyone received word from Don Cardi? I understand he lives in Staten Island, which was hit very hard. Also, I haven't seen anything from SC in a few days.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 03:33 PM

Kly,

He is OK but has no phone service or power. I understand his area was hit pretty hard. Main thing tho, he is ok. smile

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Has anyone received word from Don Cardi? I understand he lives in Staten Island, which was hit very hard. Also, I haven't seen anything from SC in a few days.

90 percent of Long Island lost their power. SC might not have electricity for a few days. Maybe even a week.

We got hammered in the East Bronx. I live right on the water but we didn't flood too bad (thank God). The power came back on this morning. Shockingly fast. I have close friends in Breezy Point, Queens who lost their home frown.

This is the worst natural disaster I've ever seen. I was in Florida a week or so after Hurricane Andrew in 1992, and that was more widespread, but this is the worst I've ever lived through firsthand.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 03:47 PM

HAng in there, pizzaboy. Sorry about your friends in Queens. I hope they and the many others so affected by the storm bounce back quickly.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 04:04 PM

Thanks, Klyd smile.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 05:19 PM

I spoke to SC yesterday. He was going to try and find a Starbucks with power so that he could get WiFi and some warmth. He's freezing.

My daughter works part time in the wireless kiosk at our local Costco. Today was her first day at work since the storm. It's usually no more than a 10 minute drive, but it took her a bout half an hour today. Not due to downed trees or debris, but because the adjoining gas station has lines that are literally miles long.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 05:51 PM

High Bridge, NJ; my niece's car by the garage, husbands to the left. Same tree. His car was a Honda Civic.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 05:54 PM

Wow, how awful MC. Glad tho that everyone is ok. Is your area without power? Be safe

smile

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 05:58 PM

These many days without power is really awful. Makes my question about when the worst of it be over sound very silly. ohwell I'll be thinking of SC and rest of you affected by this monster storm. I hope things come back to the old boring normal routine quickly.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 06:45 PM

Power came on this morning. Went off again at around 1 o'clock. Just came back on. Impossible to predict if it will stay on ohwell .

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 06:52 PM

Just saw a news report on Staten Island. They found the bodies of two little boys (brothers, 2 &4 yrs I believe)who had been missing. frown How sad

People there are upset cause they aren't getting supplies/help quick enough. They said the Red Cross had 10 trucks on their way with supplies, but the traffic was a major holdup. I saw lines of cars trying to get gas. OMG.

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Wow, how awful MC. Glad tho that everyone is ok. Is your area without power? Be safe

smile

TIS

Power has been restored where I am, but I don't have TV or internet. Being close to the eye I think we avoided the big winds.

Many reports have the Atlantic City boardwalk in ruins. The only section that was damaged was the inlet section which was slated for demolition and rebuild. Demolition is now complete. The dunes did their job. 12 casinos, no damage.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 07:25 PM

This isn't snow. It's sand. I don't know exactly where, but I would say most shore towns have streets like this. This picture came from The Press of Atlantic City website.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 07:30 PM

Sand? Really? OMG! By first glance it looked like car was buried with snow. Unbelievable!! uhwhat

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 10:04 PM

I just took a drive around my area. It's really the first time I've been out. There are still tons of restaurants and strip malls without power. Lots of traffic lights aren't working and the cops have many roads closed off while they clean up trees. We saw lots of houses with blue tarps on their roofs. The gas lines are ridiculous around here, but my husband was able to gas up at work in Connecticut with no lines at all.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 10:47 PM

I just heard that Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Billy Joel and Sting will be headlining a benefit concert on Friday night. So far I know that it will be on NBC & Bravo networks.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark
I just heard that Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Billy Joel and Sting will be headlining a benefit concert on Friday night. So far I know that it will be on NBC & Bravo networks.

Yea, I heard that too. Sounds great. Btw, the MSNBC website (front page) was running a slide show of the devastation on Staten Island. Really some heart-wrenching pictures. For some reason, I couldn't copy/paste the link. confused

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 11:34 PM

TIS, I think this link will show the slideshow you came across.

So glad to hear reports back from our BB'ers being safe and sound, though in some cases powerless. We're glad you're okay! Terrible how scary something like this can be, and how much trouble it can cause for so long afterwards.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/01/12 11:56 PM

NBC and affiliated cable networks w/ HBO are airing a Sandy benefit telethon friday night, to be hosted by Matt Lauer. The event will feature performances by artists including Christina Aguilera, Jon Bon Jovi, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen and Sting, and appearances by Jimmy Fallon and Brian Williams.

Unless I'm mistaken, Joel is actually coming out of his self-imposed performance retirement to do this.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 02:43 AM

My husband's company has an office in downtown NYC. They told him that it will be at least two months before it can reopen. He has to go into Manhattan tomorrow to try and find them temporary space. You can't drive over the bridges into Manhattan unless you have three people in the car. We can't find any rail service running in the morning and finally found a bus that will take him only seven blocks of where he needs to be.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 02:59 AM

I just spoke with SC. He still has no power and also said he has no heat. panic He thinks it'll be about a week or more before he gets any power back. Otherwise, in spite of everything, he is doing ok. He says hello to everyone and will try to charge his laptop at local library (or elsewhere) and hopefully will post something soon. smile

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 03:39 AM

I see our Governor Brown is sending help/supplies/medical aid to NYC and to help restore power to the city

Glad to hear the West Coast is helping, tho I'm sure other states are doing the same.

smile

TIS

http://www.10news.com/news/california-sends-aid-to-storm-struck-east

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 03:51 AM

I actually saw footage of those trucks coming off the planes at Stewart Airport. NICE!

I saw a woman from Margate on the news today. It's really bad there, and whatever is left standing has been buried in sand in some cases. She said that she always wanted to be closer to the beach! Courage like that astounds me.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 03:55 AM

SB,

I'm amazed at the damage in Stanton Island. They showed this woman who said "All I wanna do is go home and I have no home" as she stood by all the debris of what once was her home. She was rummaging thru rubble and pulled up what was left of a wedding picture of her mother. That was all she had left. frown So sad!

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 04:06 AM

I was amazed at some of the footage I've seen. However, help is on the way. The DOD is pumping out the subways. Naval ships are on the way to help and the National Guard arrived in NY with cases of water and one million meals.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 04:16 AM

From what I saw on a newscast earlier this evening, the Coney Island part of Brooklyn (not actually an island, more of a peninsula) took a major hit.

Most all the stores and the amusement park areas are, basically, within a block or so of the ocean. Nathan's suffered major damage, and so did the well-known Gargiulo's Italian restaurant (five feet of water inside).

What they didn't say, and what I saw on only one local newscast last night, was the amount of looting along areas of Mermaid Ave. and Neptune Ave. The storm blew in many stores' security gates. According to one local resident, gangs of looters took anything and everything that wasn't nailed down.

Amazingly enough, the Coney Island Boardwalk survived intact and was undamaged.

But it looks like it will be quite a while before folks will be chowing down on any Nathan's hot dogs.

Signor V.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 05:53 AM

Still w/o power after 2 days, on my iPhone on a sporadic connection, so a pain in the ass. Lots to say, but little patience doing it this way, while at the same time trying to conserve my battery that I can only charge in my car, wasting gas. Lol

That concert lineup is amazing!! But TOMORROW night??? Most of those affected wont have power to watch it :-/

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 06:18 AM

PS - Go on YouTube for Bon Jovi's IN AND OUT OF LOVE video recorded in Seaside Heights in the mid-80s.... That stage had been there 30 years, until a couple days ago. Most everything has apparently been destroyed in such shore towns up and down the coast. :-/ As much as we like to love/hate Seaside, it's still been a life-long neighbor, and it's sad frown

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 10:00 AM

A quick Uk perspective here. Obviously this is all over our news here but all they want to talk about is how Obama and Romneys response will affect the election. I know that stuff is important and has it's place but people are dead, suffering, without power or even homes and all you hear is some fat fella waffling on about exit polls and politicians rankings.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 01:45 PM

With Internet and cell phones not exactly working, NYC Pay Phones are making a comeback post-Sandy:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203707604578091141769109974.html

Interesting enough New Yorkers, weren't the payphones announced months ago to be converted into free Wi-Fi spots or am I understanding this incorrectly?

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
A quick Uk perspective here. Obviously this is all over our news here but all they want to talk about is how Obama and Romneys response will affect the election. I know that stuff is important and has it's place but people are dead, suffering, without power or even homes and all you hear is some fat fella waffling on about exit polls and politicians rankings.

Makes you hate politics and especially the talking heads even more. Doesn't it, Yogi? mad

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 02:31 PM

I'm at my local library which reopened yesterday.... charging up IPad and notebook. I'm OK.

I have no electrical power or heat and it's been chilly the last few days. I forgot what is was like to be in a heated room and I'm now sitting in an overheated library wearing 12 layers of clothing.

This was the worst storm I've ever experienced in my 61 years. I was lucky enough to have filled up my car's gas tank before the storm and now many gas stations have run dry or have no power to pump gas.....

I can't type for shit on this notebook while balancing it on

You

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 02:34 PM

Oh good Lord, not you again tongue lol.

Great to see you back, SC!!!!

We got hammered in Throggs Neck, too. But at least I have my power back. Hang tough, brother smile.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 02:34 PM

Hey SC! Good to see you back on the BB. clap Hang in there my friend. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon. Do you see any clean-up in your area?

Keep in touch!!

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 03:07 PM

Hi SC! Glad to see you back here. I hope they fix the power sooner.
Posted By: Fame

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 03:37 PM

Hey guys! glad to hear you're ok.

SC - 12 layers???? can you move?? wink take care, good man.

JG, how ironic that Bon Jovi's disastrous album is linked to another disaster. Not to mention the name of that album - 7800 Fahrenheit. But I do have 3 songs from there on my player grin

Take care, brothers and sisters; you have my love and support.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 03:39 PM

Hey Fame, how are you? How are things going on "the top of the world?" wink

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 03:40 PM

It takes a natural disaster to get Fame back! LOL Good to see you!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 03:49 PM

I'm guessing you all know that there will be a benefit concert for the victims of Sandy tonight. Not sure exactly where this will take place though. It will include, Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Billy Joel & Sting (maybe more, but that's what I heard so far). smile

I heard it'll be on NBC, MSNBC and maybe more channels. It will be taped live back East, but we on the West Coast, I understand, will see it on a time delay at 8:00 p.m. Pacific Time. Check your listings for your time. smile

TIS
Posted By: Fame

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 04:08 PM

...if only this forum had TV listings... grin

Hey TIS! Hey Babe! have I added you guys on Facebook? it's Fame Forhood. Only I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do there grin

Should I sit and write funny statuses all day?

play Mafia Wars?

I think I like this playground more. I should be here more often.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 05:15 PM

Still w/o power after 2 days, on my iPhone on a sporadic connection, so a pain in the ass. Lots to say, but little patience doing it this way, while at the same time trying to conserve my battery that I can only charge in my car, wasting gas. Lol
Don't worry, boss, we'll keep everything under control around here. wink Hope you get your power back soon!

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
That's what got to me when we had the news on yesterday. They went from one news bit about how stores holding "hurricane specials" were coming under fire for taking advantage of the situation, to then discuss which candidate looked better in his response to the disaster... which seems to me to be just about as bad in terms of manipulation. Yes, it obviously matters how our leader reacts to something like this, but the only focus in the news is how that will affect the polls! Ugh.

I have no electrical power or heat and it's been chilly the last few days. I forgot what is was like to be in a heated room and I'm now sitting in an overheated library wearing 12 layers of clothing.
Was gonna tell you to stay warm, but it sounds like you're doing a good job of that! Glad you're alright and fueled up! Keep us updated. smile

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 07:12 PM

I have to give serious props to Governor Christie, not only for his warmth and caring for the victims of Sandy, but for his absolute slap-down during a news interview the other night. When asked about the presidential election, he got seriously pissed off and asked how it was possible that someone wanted him to talk about politics at a time when he was worrying about people's lives. I'm paraphrasing, but he was spot on!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 07:28 PM

How do you guys, especially in the NY area, feel about Mayor Bloomberg proceeding with this Marathon? It does seem kind of odd that after Sandy and all the destruction,he'd make that decision. confused What do you think?

TIS

MSNBC just announced that Mayor Bloomberg HAS cancelled the marathon. Kind of thought he might. He was getting all negative responses when he said it would go on.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 10:04 PM

I am torn, to be honest. While I understand that the Mayor was hoping for a return to normalcy, I think he overestimated the progress that the city would have made by now.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 10:23 PM

I'm not sure if it was actually Bloomberg, or the NY Road Runners Assn., or exactly what happened. Maybe someone can clarify before I go back to my TV.

What I just heard was that the NY Road Runners marathoners want to use their time here to go into the seriously affected communities and volunteer to do whatever they can to help.

Sounds good to me. Personally, I thought having the marathon at this time was lunacy.

And, welcome back, SC!! (Looks like we'll have to be on our best behavior again! wink

Signor V.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/02/12 11:35 PM

Glad to see Bloomberg canceled the NYC marathon. NY and NJ face an ongoing tragedy, while the marathon cancelation is an inconvenience. The manpower and blocked roads are not an option when so many are without food, power, and/or a roof above their heads.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 12:02 AM

MSNBC is airing the Hurricane Sandy benefit now. Cool, don't have to wait til 8:00

smile

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 12:27 AM

Aww How nice. Steven Tyler, Jimmy Fallon, Bruce, Billy Joel all singing "Under The Boardewalk." Touching frown

Oh good. Arrowsmith is singing "Dream On".

Now Sting sings "Message in a Bottle."

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 01:10 AM

So the Marathon was cancelled not postponed?

I was hoping for the latter...

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 01:12 AM

I believe it was cancelled for this weekend but I'm guessing they will reschedule at some point. smile

TIS
Posted By: olivant

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 01:27 AM

I believe it was cancelled for this weekend but I'm guessing they will reschedule at some point. smile

TIS

From MSN:

"The cancellation means there won't be another NYC Marathon until next year."

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 01:31 AM

I knew this year's marathon was doomed when I saw that New York Post cover.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant

TIS

From MSN:

"The cancellation means there won't be another NYC Marathon until next year."

I supported postponing the marathon not cancelling it. I read the Marathon last year had an economic impact of $350 million on NYC. Would have been nice to get a little jolt into the local economy during the reconstruction that would be taking place after this Hurricane.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 01:41 AM

Anybody heard from Carmela? She mentioned before that she lived in Jersey...

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 02:24 PM

Glad to hear from SC cool

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 03:08 PM

I hope she's okay, but odds are that she's without power. I'll say a prayer for her (and for everyone in Jersey) anyway smile.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 05:57 PM

I hope she's okay, but odds are that she's without power. I'll say a prayer for her (and for everyone in Jersey) anyway smile.

I hope she & her family are okay as well. I would bet that their construction company is busy helping out with clean up, etc. She told us all of the great work they did helping after 9-11 so I'm sure they are very busy these days. Good to hear everybody is doing okay under the circumstances. Has Don Cardi checked in yet? BTW - Billy Joel looked terrible in that concert last night... am I the only one who noticed? eek

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 06:12 PM

Mark

BillyJoel has been looking his age lately but yea, I know what you mean. He still sounded good though. Steven Tyler didn't look real good but then he never did. lol He sounded good as well tho and sang one of my favorite songs. Are BillyJoel & Bruce from the same Jersey town?

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 06:19 PM

Billy Joel isn't from Jersey, Tis. He's from Long Island all his life.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 06:27 PM

Correct, PB - Levittown to be exact.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 06:27 PM

Oh, ok thanks. I get all confused with all the different areas, islands/boroughs, sections, etc. AND tend to think of NY/NJ as one in the same (don't shoot me) panic.

I KNOW Bon Jovi is from Jersey because they showed him visiting his hometown/area he lived in.

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 06:31 PM

Joel did sound great, TIS. I couldn't help but notice he was plugging his new motorcycle shop with the hat & logo he was wearing... nice job, Billy. I would have done the same thing!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 06:35 PM

Oh is that what his hat was. It didn't look like any sports team I was familiar with (then again my knowledge there is very limited) but I kept trying to read it.

Cool, Dems have Springsteen, BonJovi and the other side has Meatloaf. lol

Btw, I really didn't think Jimmy Fallon a decent job with "Under The Boardwalk" too.

smile

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 06:36 PM

Billy has always looked a bit older than he is. To be honest, it's probably the booze lol.

But who cares what he looks like as long as he can still sing!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 06:46 PM

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark

Ohhhhh! It took me a minute to figure out what the heck you just posted. Is that a short term memory or what? A day late and a dollar short. lol

You gonna stop by and buy yourself a motorcycle sometime? wink

TIS
Posted By: carmela

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 07:05 PM

Am ok. No power yet since Monday. Thanks to those that were concerned n asked. So much devastation and damage. It's heartbreaking to see what's happened to this state not to mention ny. We had couple properties on the shore that are no more. Gas lines are 2-3 hours long for cars and generators to get fuel. Today went into effect odd/even gas system. Last digit in ln plate determines if u can get gas on odd day or even day. My husband rented out a couple of our huge generators to get couple gas stations open in exchange for almost 1000 gals of gas so we can fuel our trucks to work as well as personal cars, etc. he's headed down to Asbury Park now to get to work. My daughter and I have been buying things and donating as well as helping in shelters for homeless. It's so sad I can't take it sometimes. Hope to get power soon but at this point I'm grateful to have house. Don't know when I'll check in again. Stay well.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 07:09 PM

Stay strong, Carm. You're doing God's work by helping out like you are.

Geez, odd and even gas rationing. Reminds me of the late '70s here in New York City. It wasn't any fun then frown.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 07:09 PM

Carmela,

Thanks for checking in. I'm sorry for the devastation. I know it'll take time but I do hope things get back to normal for you and all other victims as soon as possible.

Take care of yourself.

smile

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/03/12 08:58 PM

Carmela, glad to hear you're safe. God bless.

DMC got a couple of texts from Don Cardi saying that he and his family were safe. I've tried to reach him several times, but got nowhere. DMC got power back last night, but poor SC and JG are still in the dark.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 01:29 AM

Billy Joel has been retired from music for awhile now and it showed last night. Steven Tyler looked like he was still on drugs last night. Thought Sting, Bon Jovi, & Bruce carried the event. Just saw Bruce perform in DC in Sept. It was 3.5 hrs of nonstop energy for a 63 yr old.

Anybody hear how much the event generated in donations.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 03:24 AM

I spent the day helping clean out my sister-in-law's house here on Staten Island that was flooded and heavily damaged during the storm. I really wasn't prepared for what I saw. Blocks and blocks of damaged and destroyed homes. The other day, in scuba gear, my brother-in-law who is a retired NYPD Special Services Officer and 9/11 hero, went into the remains of the flooded home of one of his best friends to search and recover his body. When I got home tonight, I felt guilty my house was relatively undamaged despite only being about a couple miles from total destruction.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 03:26 AM

are some of the phone lines down in nyc? for cell phones

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 03:28 AM

JL,

Wow, I can imagine the feeling you must have had seeing such devastation. And knowing your BIL having to search for a body. frown How chilling. Boy, what a reminder for all of us to be thankful for what we DO have. So much sadness/despair.

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 03:35 AM

JL,

Wow, I can imagine the feeling you must have had seeing such devastation. And knowing your BIL having to search for a body. frown How chilling. Boy, what a reminder for all of us to be thankful for what we DO have. So much sadness/despair.

TIS

My brother-in-law is truly a special person. On 9/11, he was one of the Officers that rescued the Port Authority Cops trapped in the rubble. He is even loosely portrayed in Oliver Stone's "9/11" movie. When he found out his friend was missing and his house was still underwater, he went in to find him.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1
are some of the phone lines down in nyc? for cell phones

yes. service is sporadic.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 07:15 AM

Im glad to hear everyone is safe. I just got home from Margate Nj at the shore where my home is in shambels. My first floor was totally demolished! Me and my wife went through most of our savings to buy this house for our summer home! We do have flood insurance so in time we should be ok! Its a terrrible sight there with people that are homeless as this was their primary home! Its like a ghost town! Its terrrible to see what is going on near new york and north Jersey. I pray for you to overcome this nightmare and get the strength to move on! I am really speechless! Hang in and have faith that everything will eventually work out! god bless!!!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 09:56 AM

Looters have been warned..

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 11:06 AM

I'm baaaaaaaaaack.

Got my power restored about ten minutes ago. Heat is coming up now! clap

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: southphilly old head
Im glad to hear everyone is safe. I just got home from Margate Nj at the shore where my home is in shambels. My first floor was totally demolished! Me and my wife went through most of our savings to buy this house for our summer home! We do have flood insurance so in time we should be ok! Its a terrrible sight there with people that are homeless as this was their primary home! Its like a ghost town! Its terrrible to see what is going on near new york and north Jersey. I pray for you to overcome this nightmare and get the strength to move on! I am really speechless! Hang in and have faith that everything will eventually work out! god bless!!!

Southphilly, I am SO sorry about your house. How horrible for you and your family. I can't imagine what you are going thru. You're right. What a nightmare. My prayers to you and your family.

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 01:09 PM

I'm baaaaaaaaaack.

Got my power restored about ten minutes ago. Heat is coming up now! clap

Welcome back SC! smile I'll bet it feels good to get some kind of normalcy back hu? It's nice to see you around again.

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 01:14 PM

God bless you all. Welcome back, SC. Good to hear Don Cardi has texted. Hang in there Lou & Philly. I can't believe how heart breaking this has all become - those images and footage are truly devastating. Carmela, once again you guys have proven how the helpful and selfless spirit emerges in the rise of tragedy. Thoughts & prayers go out to all of you. The other day at work there was a guy complaining about all the leaves he would have to rake this weekend. I asked him if he has watched CNN at all in the past few days... he finally got it.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 02:13 PM

Philly,

My SILs store on Margate (Colmar, True Value) escaped damage. The store is built on a little knoll, 16 ft above sea level. They had water in the parking lot, but it didn't reach the store.

A week ago Saturday (before the storm), SILs uncle died. He was a Margate resident. They had to hold him over until yesterday for the funeral. They couldn't hold services on Margate. The funeral was in Linwood, the closest town on the mainland. IT was rough on the family. Little things like that are not obvious in the midst of all the destruction and turmoil.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 04:45 PM

Carm, my best to you and your family. Glad everybody on the boards is safe.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 04:53 PM

HURRICANE SANDY FACTS:

*41 storm-related deaths in the city
*176,540 city Con Ed customers without power Saturday
*Nearly 1 million Con Ed customers without power statewide
*57 city schools — home to 30,000+ students — closed due to storm damage until at least Wednesday
*178 city schools with no electricity as of Friday
*More than 80% of subway service restored as of Saturday
*1,541 serious crimes committed in the city from Monday through Friday, down 31% from the same period last year
*1 New York City Marathon canceled
*8 million gallons of gas delivered to the city as of Saturday
*23 million gallons of gas on the way
*More than $18 billion in estimated economic losses statewide
*More than 290,000 meals and 500,000 bottles of water distributed to storm victims
*More than $10 million raised in donations for storm relief
*17,000 tons of trash and debris picked up by city Sanitation crews
*728 pieces of equipment used by Sanitation Department to clear debris, including 270 collection trucks, 234 mechanical brooms and 114 front-end loaders
*$100 million state funds pledged to help reconstruction
*36 state parks closed from storm damage, including 30 on Long Island
*$100 million in damage to Jones Beach and Robert Moses State Park
*30 joint state/FEMA response teams to fan out in storm impacted regions Monday

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/gov-...9#ixzz2BH1x1xiP

Hurricane Sandy drives down major crimes in New York City - but burglaries surge

Despite high-profile lootings, pales compared to city's previous blackouts, says NYPD

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/burglaries-surge-hurricane-sandy-article-1.1196245#ixzz2BHBVnDRq

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 06:01 PM

still no power here in central jersey, sitting at dunkin donuts. wind was insane here, lost some siding, gutters, and some screens torn off, but pretty minor compared to others. all the nice mulch i put down this summer in gone, as well as a few of the landscaping trees in our yard that still had any leaves on them. tons of huge trees in the backyard backing up to the woods fell, cut them up with the chainsaw and hauled that shit away, extremely taxing work. i'm fucking freezing all the time, although having even a few candles lit in an enclosed room really raises the temperature. next stop is the store to get a nice bottle of jameson!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 06:04 PM

So sorry FF. Hang in there though I am sure it's not easy. I can imagine trying to keep your chin up when disaster is all around you. Stay safe.

smile
TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 06:30 PM

Welcome back SC.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 07:56 PM

Still no power. Kids still no school thru Wednesday now. I don't reckon power is coming back soon. But I hope so.

Five Felonies. If I remember correctly ur about 15 mins or so from me. My husband is working union beach today. If u need anything don't think twice to say so. I'll get it to you. Fuel or whatever. Let me know. I'll check back here later. We're due for another big storm I'm afraid coming in Wednesday-Thursday.

Edit: did I just say reckon? Dear god what's happening to me?

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: carmela
Still no power. Kids still no school thru Wednesday now. I don't reckon power is coming back soon. But I hope so.

Five Felonies. If I remember correctly ur about 15 mins or so from me. My husband is working union beach today. If u need anything don't think twice to say so. I'll get it to you. Fuel or whatever. Let me know. I'll check back here later. We're due for another big storm I'm afraid coming in Wednesday-Thursday.

LOL You did. Now y'all mosey on down to the Longbranch saloon and have yourself a drink. lol Nice that you have a sense of humor now. wink

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 08:30 PM

SC, so happy you're back. So many still without, and so many that have lost so much.

A retired NYPD officer in nearby Pearl River was killed when a tree hit his house. His wife and daughter are still in the hospital from their injuries and they can't make funeral arrangements until they are released. They have no home to go to, as it is uninhabitable. You keep hearing stories like this and you end up so very grateful for what you have.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 08:39 PM

I caught that before I read your edit lol.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 10:41 PM

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/04/12 11:17 PM

just got my power back on! carmela, thank you for your offer as i'm sure you would have helped if i had asked, but other than a ton of cleanup/labor, boredom, and lack of heat we were lucky! southphilly, real sorry to hear about your house but hopefully insurance comes through quick and the place is ready before the summer!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/05/12 12:48 AM

FF

Tough going. Glad to hear power is back. Freezing is not good.

Carmela,

Hang in there. Keep the faith. Jersey tough.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/05/12 12:53 AM

I'm back in business as of half an hour ago! cool

Now I gotta go thru the freezer and toss things that won't make it...

It's almost surreal after 5 days, but I'm getting used to it wink

Hang in there, everyone, and thanks for the words of encouragement this week!
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/05/12 01:06 AM

Massachusetts wasn't hit anywhere near as bad as you guys in New York and New Jersey. I hope everyone is okay and my thoughts go out to everyone. Stay safe guys!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/05/12 01:30 AM

Outside my sister-in-law's house that we cleaned out yesterday. This wasn't even nearly as bad as some homes in the area. The car in the driveway was totaled too because the water was almost up to the roof.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/05/12 01:43 AM

Wow, what a mess. Yet if it's not as bad as the others, I guess that's one consoling thing right? ohwell Did your SIL's house have a lot of water damage or any structural damage?

Btw is that area an area in which you're advised to buy flood insurance? Like in CA you are not forced to BUT encouraged to buy earthquake insurance (only it cost's an arm and a leg with a huge deductible.)

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/05/12 01:59 AM

Wow, what a mess. Yet if it's not as bad as the others, I guess that's one consoling thing right? ohwell Did your SIL's house have a lot of water damage or any structural damage?

Btw is that area an area in which you're advised to buy flood insurance? Like in CA you are not forced to BUT encouraged to buy earthquake insurance (only it cost's an arm and a leg with a huge deductible.)

The basement is completely shot. The water was about 5 feet high. Everything down there had to be thrown out, then the walls will have to be ripped down and replaced. The rest of the house isn't too bad inside, but if the mold spreads to upstairs, those walls will have to come down too. I don't think many had flood insurance on my SIL's street/area because it wasn't that close to the water (1/4 mile maybe), and she said it's never flooded before.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 02:50 AM

Nor’easter Headed for East Coast

A Nor’easter is brewing off the coast of the Carolinas and is set to hit the New York region early Wednesday morning, according to the National Weather Service. The storm is predicted to bring up to 60mph winds, heavy rain, and possibly even snow to East Coast residents still reeling from the impact of Sandy. But unlike last week’s hurricane, this storm is coming as tide levels are unusually low, lessening the chances of severe flooding.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/easter-set-hit-new-york-wednesday-article-1.1196840

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 03:27 AM

Shoot me.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 06:15 AM

The region REALLY doesn't need a Nor'Easter this week, on top of Sandy. Many of us were fairly lucky (power outage, but no major damage or harm to loved ones). Others weren't so lucky (at least 3 friends of mine have lost practically everything due to flooding -- most of their possessions, family photos, etc), homes lost. ohwell

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 06:20 AM

^^ Tbat's a real bummer just to be wiped out like that, the weather people trumped up the storm but no one expected this kinda damage in the tristate area

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 09:01 AM

The region REALLY doesn't need a Nor'Easter this week, on top of Sandy.

The latest computer runs have been pushing the storm farther east, which would basically mean colder weather (possibly even light snow near the coast) but less winds. It's looking less menacing now.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 02:20 PM

The region REALLY doesn't need a Nor'Easter this week, on top of Sandy.

The latest computer runs have been pushing the storm farther east, which would basically mean colder weather (possibly even light snow near the coast) but less winds. It's looking less menacing now.
They said on the radio here that theyre expecting some warm air from the atlantic, but that we may get some snow, ice and frost up here.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 02:24 PM

What part of Mass. are you in, SFTM?

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 02:32 PM

South shore, about 15 minutes south of boston...right next to braintree.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: scarfacetm

I worked in funeral service for 25 years in the New York City area, but we used to do long distance "over the road" calls all the time. It was a huge national company. Anyway, I used to do a lot of business with McMaster funeral home in Braintree. If there was a death in the Boston area and the body had to go to New York, we'd call them for the "removal." Then I'd shoot up to Braintree with a hearse or a wagon to pick up the deceased. That's a nice little town. I stayed overnight a bunch of times as well.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: scarfacetm

I worked in funeral service for 25 years in the New York City area, but we used to do long distance "over the road" calls all the time. It was a huge national company. Anyway, I used to do a lot of business with McMaster funeral home in Braintree. If there was a death in the Boston area and the body had to go to New York, we'd call them for the "removal." Then I'd shoot up to Braintree with a hearse or a wagon to pick up the deceased. That's a nice little town. I stayed overnight a bunch of times as well.
Yea braintree isn't bad, they just opened a guitar center there which is great for me. I grew up in Brockton though most of my life.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 07:10 PM

Already moved my car away from "the tree" in anticipation of tomorrow's nor'easter and its 50 mph gusts.

PLEASE don't let me lose electrical power again.

There are still over 200,000 people here on Long Island without power due to Sandy.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 09:13 PM

I just heard on our local news radio station that the lines for gas out in Long Island (SC's territory) are worse than they've ever been, despite what our elected officials and the spokesweasels are saying publicly.

The station (WINS) sent a roving reporter in his car to check things out, and he found that only a fraction of the gas stations are even open because they don't have power for their pumps. Those stations that do have power have lines that are humongous and the wait is several hours, at best.

And why? Because the stations are not considered a high priority. LIPA won't even set up generators for them. People have run out of gas waiting on these lines. Fights have broken out because people jump the line.

In the NYC (five boroughs) area, I understand that there is a police officer stationed at each open gas station to keep some sort of order.

Now, with the Nor'easter headed our way tomorrow, the power companies (particularly LIPA) are predicting more outages. They say the problem isn't as much the rain as the damage done by the heavy winds.

Either way, while it may not quite be up to the level of Sandy, it doesn't look particularly good.

Signor V.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 09:21 PM

hopefully it continues to move further east. my concerns are: #1 we lose power again, that shit sucks. #2 trees that wee severely weakened by sandy snap and destroy stuff. seeing what the hurricane did just made me realize even more that i don't wanna be in the northeast or any highly populated area of the country anymore. look at the panic and chaos that ensued with no electric for a few days. really makes you think about how reliant we are on modern tech and how quickly everything would go to hell if vital services were gone for a month or more.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/06/12 09:52 PM

Think about how much worse it will be (to lose power) now that it's become so cold. Some of the northern and western suburbs will be getting accumulating snow. panic

As bad as it was and still is for some, the worst part of the effects of Sandy is now seeing how our social niceties are breaking down.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 05:42 AM

Edit: Sorry Wrong thread. I hope this next storm doesn't do any more damage. Hang in there SC.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 05:52 AM

Thanks, afs!! I'm no longer worried about the next four years; now I'm just worried about making it through this storm tomorrow without losing my power again. wink

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 05:56 AM

I hope so SC, one day at a time. smile For some reason I deemed fit to post that Donald Trump bit here. He does count as natural disasters though. wink

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 05:58 AM

I think we should ship Donald to Afs. wink Just think Afs, your own rich hotel tycoon, game show host, with weird hair. What a dream lol

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 06:02 AM

I think we should ship Donald to Afs. wink Just think Afs, your own rich hotel tycoon, game show host, with weird hair. What a dream lol

TIS

Goodness TIS, we already have enough turban heads, don't need this weird headed man on top of it too. lol Have mercy on us. grin

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 06:03 AM

TIS

Goodness TIS, we already have enough turban heads, don't need this weird headed man on top of it too. lol Have mercy on us. grin

Ha ha ha lol

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 12:15 PM

Mr. Trump is to busy building golf courses in Scotland to be doing anything else just now!!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 05:39 PM

Getting windy out. Rain mixed with wet snow right now here in New York. Let's hope everyone keeps their power and heat at the very least.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 07:46 PM

have they always named these winter storms? athena is really picking up, started out this morning with a mix of rain/sleet/snow, but since then it has switched to all snow. its actually really coming down pretty good now as the temp continues to drop. its starting to stick on the lawn, but not really on the roads yet, although that will more than likely change. i tell ya, we really have some of the most varied weather here on the east coast, i guess thats why people here are so gritty compared to places like california where they freak out and have accidents on the freeway if it rains for 5 minutes.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
have they always named these winter storms?

Can't say for sure when it all started - and I am too lazy to Google anything right now - but I can remember around fifty years ago Hurricane Donna slamming into us. She was one mean beee-yotch! I was living on Long Island at the time, not Brooklyn. So, naming storms must have started at least before that.

Right now it's snowing in Brooklyn. Wet snow, that doesn't appear to be sticking to any of the paved surfaces (yet). It was very rainy earlier, but the changeover appears to have happened within the last hour or two.

The radio reported around an hour or so ago that the wind and the gusts weren't quite as strong as had been originally predicted, but looking out my window, it's still no fun, I can assure you. I can hear the wind howling. I'm also starting to hear a lot of police and fire sirens in my neighborhood.

Signor V.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 09:00 PM

No snow in Harrisburg yet, but the sky is a wintry gray that I haven't seen since January. We are only expected to get 1-3 inches of snow later tonight into tomorrow.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 09:16 PM

The naming of winter storms just started this year. It's a gimmick begun by The Weather Channel.

Vitelli's mention of Hurricane Donna brought back some memories.... it was (for me) the first day of school in 4th grade and we got to go home early. Lots of trees down all over the neighborhood and some flooding but it was not nearly as bad as Sandy just was.

Mother Nature must be going through the change.... the worst hurricane in the area's history followed by a nor'easter with snow ten days later. And it's just the beginning of November.

WTF?

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 10:35 PM

about 2 inches of snow,give or take here. starting to stick to the roads, but on the plus side might have some plowing to do with my boss and i need the money so we'll see. hoping the wind doesn't pick up though.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 10:35 PM

Couple inches of snow so far.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 10:46 PM

Wow, it seems way to early for snow. Seems like "normally" it's around Thanksgiving or after. Then again, I've been away from it for a while.

smile

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/07/12 11:30 PM

It sucks, Tis frown.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/08/12 12:50 AM

I think the local weather forecasters underestimated the snow - at least, here in Brooklyn. Yesterday, they were saying the whole NYC area would get "a coating to an inch," and that the snow would mostly stick on unpaved surfaces. It looks like a bit more than that from my window. And it's sticking to the roads, sidewalks, cars, etc. A little while ago, the wind was so strong that the snow was blowing horizontally.

They're saying that within a couple of days,the temperature here will be in the high 50's. Well, that's good; at least all the snow and slush should melt.

Signor V.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/08/12 01:30 AM

Are you guys going through a nor easter or what? I haven't been watching a whole lot of tv lately. I sure am sorry. The weather is so weird makes me wonder what winter will be like?

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/08/12 01:52 AM

I gotta admit, I never heard of a nor easter before you guys here started talking about it. confused

TIS

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/08/12 08:27 AM

I gotta admit, I never heard of a nor easter before you guys here started talking about it.

It's an old expression referring to (mostly) winter storms coming up the east coast and the winds blowing from the northeast (thus a "nor'easter").

The weather has been totally whacky here. A MAJOR hurricane, then a good-sized nor'easter with snow and this weekend will be unseasonably warm with temperatures in the 60s. All within a two-week span. eek

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/08/12 09:11 AM

We got at least 6" of snow by me.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/08/12 01:57 PM

We've got maybe an inch or so of the white stuff, but the rest of it is all snow and ice and slush...still doesn't stop me from walking to dunks for my morning coffee.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/08/12 04:03 PM

Same for me. It's already starting to melt.... my car looks like some Halloween decoration.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/08/12 04:48 PM

It's been cold here, but we didn't see a flake of snow. Just missed it...again.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/08/12 05:43 PM

2 inches of snow yesterday. 33 degrees this morning. 67 on Monday. Go figger.

For you Westerners, here is what a New Jersey Nor'easter looks like. I took this video a few years ago.

What a Nor'easter looks like

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/08/12 05:50 PM

About 4 inches of snow in the East Bronx early this morning. Most of it is gone already. But just seeing it still sucked ohwell.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/09/12 02:57 AM

I got 8 inches. And not the good kind either. Power came on for a minute. Power went away. I'm losing my mind. Did I mention?

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/09/12 02:58 AM

I think the Mayans might be correct.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/09/12 03:26 AM

Oh, Carmela, I'm so sorry. I'm pretty sure Geoff's in the same boat.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/09/12 06:11 AM

Carmela, I'm really sorry to hear that.

At this point, I'm not exactly sure what Geoff's situation is (with the Nor'easter adding insult to the earlier injury), but I'm sure if he's got power, he'll let us know how things are in his area.

But, the one thing I've noticed: Before the hurricane, I was never particularly a fan of Governor Christie, for a variety of reasons. Chief among them, was his Sonny Corleone-like temper and constantly confrontational attitude. However, I've now gained a new respect for him as a leader. Christie is an intelligent, shrewd fellow. He's been out there, front and center on a daily basis, and I think he's doing a far better job than NY's Governor Cuomo, who seems to come off as a near non-entity, at best. What I'm trying to say is that I have more faith in your governor than ours. But, I know that may be cold comfort to you, your family, and the thousands of others in NJ right about now who are without power.

Hopefully, things will get better within the next day or so - and the weather is supposed to be quite warm in the next couple of days, so that should help the utility crews immensely.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, and everyone else.

Signor V.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/09/12 06:54 AM

Geoff is without power (again). He got it back but the weight of the snow was too much for the lines in his area and he lost electricity again. I'm sure he'll tell ya the story when he gets back but he had a harrowing experience with one of the trees on his property.

I feel terribly for carmela. It's approaching two weeks for her! uhwhat

I heard from an old friend from the old neighborhood. My former co-op in Sheepshead Bay got hit hard. One of the four buildings (the one in which Larry David grew up) had its basement flooded (many storage bins containing tenants' belongings were completely underwater plus about 75 cars were totally lost). I'm sure pizzaboy knows the area, but for those who don't, there's a parkway right across the street (the Belt Parkway) which is elevated and acts like a dam but the water came through a section cut out for Nostrand Avenue.

Unbelievable!!!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/09/12 08:31 AM

Same for me. It's already starting to melt.... my car looks like some Halloween decoration.

Yeah I got a white ghost things are looking kinda spooky lol

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/09/12 04:18 PM

just got power back a little while ago. we lost it again early wednesday night, there were alot of transformers blowing up, it was like somebody turned the light switch to the world on! we got around 7 inches by me, and i gotta say it was the heaviest snow that i can ever remember.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/09/12 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
It's been cold here, but we didn't see a flake of snow. Just missed it...again.

Luck of the Irish Kly?? smile

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/09/12 04:38 PM

I got 8 inches. And not the good kind either.
There's Diet Pepsi that shot out of my nose and now resides on my keyboard. Thank you lol.

I'm losing my mind. Did I mention?

I was gonna say whistle.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/09/12 05:55 PM

I'm sure pizzaboy knows the area, but for those who don't, there's a parkway right across the street (the Belt Parkway) which is elevated and acts like a dam but the water came through a section cut out for Nostrand Avenue.

You know I know that area well, SC.

During my IJ Morris years, we did more Temple calls out of Sheepshead Bay than just about any other part of Brooklyn.

Not sure if you're familiar with Congregation Beth Shalom of Kings on Avenue X and 27th Street?

That place was always doing lots of charity work for natural disasters and such outside of New York. I only hope that people are returning the favor in their time of need (although to be honest, I'm not sure how hard that block was hit).

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/10/12 03:53 AM

I got 8 inches. And not the good kind either.

lol

I feel guilty that every still seems to be having trouble with Sandy/recent storm and I was spared up here in the BX... best of luck to you all in getting everything straightened out.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/10/12 03:01 PM

I feel guilty that every still seems to be having trouble with Sandy/recent storm and I was spared up here in the BX... best of luck to you all in getting everything straightened out.

I dunno, Dap. We got hit pretty good in Throggs Neck (although nothing like our poor friends in Jersey). But I guess I have to remember that you're in the West Bronx, I'm in the East Bronx. And as you know, I'm right on the water. I'm technically closer to Queens than I am to Yankee Stadium. So we felt some of what Long Island felt.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/10/12 03:08 PM

Not sure if you're familiar with Congregation Beth Shalom of Kings on Avenue X and 27th Street?

That place was always doing lots of charity work for natural disasters and such outside of New York. I only hope that people are returning the favor in their time of need (although to be honest, I'm not sure how hard that block was hit).

I know it very well, pb.

I've seen some vids of the damage to Sheepshead Bay on YouTube and I know a lot of trees were lost in that area (the East 27th and X area) but it apparently had no flood damage.

A lot of Long Islanders are now getting REALLY angry at having no power. They're getting increasingly almost violent against LIPA and local politicians are calling for the federal government to step in and take over the recovery process from the utility.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/10/12 03:22 PM

A lot of Long Islanders are now getting REALLY angry at having no power. They're getting increasingly almost violent against LIPA and local politicians are calling for the federal government to step in and take over the recovery process from the utility.

Well, Peter King has more important things to do. Like secure our borders whistle.

He's such an asshole mad.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/10/12 03:26 PM

Well, Peter King has more imporatant things to do. Like secure our borders whistle.

He's such an asshole mad.

He is, but what really bothers me about him is the way he talks. He sounds like he has marbles in his mouth.

Obama promised us that there'd be little red tape to deal with the government during the recovery period. Let's see if he keeps his promise.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/10/12 06:53 PM

I dunno, Dap. We got hit pretty good in Throggs Neck (although nothing like our poor friends in Jersey). But I guess I have to remember that you're in the West Bronx, I'm in the East Bronx. And as you know, I'm right on the water. I'm technically closer to Queens than I am to Yankee Stadium. So we felt some of what Long Island felt.

Absolutely right.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 01:16 AM

Power's back on, thank God! 5 days out for bitch Lucy Sandy, and another 3 for Athena. Sure felt like longer!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 01:37 AM

Welcome back!!! Take a hot shower and I bet you'll sleep good tonight.

Who is Lucy?

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 02:47 AM

Who is Lucy?

Mr. Mooney's hair-brained secretary.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 02:48 AM

Dammit, I keep calling Sandy "Lucy" for some reason whistle

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 03:28 AM

Lucy eh...

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 03:35 AM

I'm finally all powered up again!!!! Nearly 2 weeks out due to Lucy/Sandy/Athena. Now I just have to get used to putting light switches on again when I enter a room.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 04:14 AM

So glad to hear the news, guys! Glad you're up and running again!

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 05:51 AM

I'm finally all powered up again!!!!

It's been so long, I was looking for the "Like" button on your post. lol

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 06:03 AM

Glad to see the power is back on for you guys. smile

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 06:37 AM

That is really great news to hear. Now, we'll just keep our fingers crossed for the thousands of people in the tri-state region still without power.

The other night, there was a public meeting/press conference in Levittown, Long Island (SC's territory) where LIPA didn't even bother to show, but sent an executive toady from National Grid (the utility company that's in charge of maintaining LIPA's power grids), who was evasive and did what I call "the weasel dance" and ducked the WABC reporter's questions about "who is responsible." Unbelievable - but, all too believable.

The people are fed up with empty promises, and feel they've been given the runaround and have, at times, been just plain ignored. It's time for our Governor Cuomo to grow a pair, and deal with the LIPA executives and the others whose heads should roll for this embarassment. At least, that's my opinion.

At least there are no major storms forecast for the immediate future.

Signor V.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 07:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
That is really great news to hear. Now, we'll just keep our fingers crossed for the thousands of people in the tri-state region still without power.

As much as I've cursed JCP&L (Jersey Central Power & Light) the past 10 days, they've finally gotten their outages down to a reasonable level at this point [map]. 8 days out, total, for me -- but many more days for others, and I feel sorry for them, because it's really, really, bad when it gets cold out! So bad that it's surreal when power comes back on!

On the bright side, I finally got to read the 600-page STEVE JOBS book that I otherwise would never have gotten to. Mostly by flashlight.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 06:14 PM

I'm glad you have your power back, Geoffy. You must have a lot of Internet porn to catch up on. We'll let you get to it grin.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 06:26 PM

I'm glad you have your power back, Geoffy. You must have a lot of Internet porn to catch up on. We'll let you get to it grin.

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 06:27 PM

lol lol

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/11/12 06:31 PM

Glad your back up Geoff. I've been doing the same thing with the "like" button. Haha

Re: How hard our we gona get hit by Sandy - 11/12/12 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

As much as I've cursed JCP&L (Jersey Central Power & Light) the past 10 days, they've finally gotten their outages down to a reasonable level at this point

Are they one of the companies who wouldn't let non-union workers into their territory? Oh yeah, fuck the poor people without power, we want the overtime.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET