Home

Sexist Vintage Ads 1950s

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Sexist Vintage Ads 1950s - 08/18/12 06:36 PM

Found this on the HP showing sexist ads from the 1950s. Can you freekin' imagine ANY of these going over today??? uhwhat Wow, talk about back in the "little woman" days. #6? Yikes! "We've come a long way baby" thank God!! lol

You may have to "zoom" in on a few to read the entire ad.

TIS

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/17/sexist-vintage-ads_n_1798977.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
Posted By: Mastronardo

Re: Sexist Vintage Ads 1950s - 08/18/12 07:29 PM

My favorite was number four: “The Chef does everything but cook — that’s what wives are for!”
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Sexist Vintage Ads 1950s - 08/18/12 11:17 PM

SPANKING??? REALLY?? Those were hilarious, TIS. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Sexist Vintage Ads 1950s - 08/18/12 11:57 PM

In '83, we rented a cottage on Cape Cod for a week. Like most rental cottages of the era, it had a supply of old National Geographics. One from 1949 had an ad from the Bell System. Showed three middle-aged women (looking like they just got out of church) standing around a car with a flat tire, with the jack on the ground, looking totally, completely baffled. Off to the side was a telephone pole, with a lineman coming down to help. Message was "Spirit of Service: We're always ready to help."

I took it to the office and showed it to one of the women's libbers. She and I got a big chuckle. Then she said, "Uh, I don't know how to change a tire..." lol
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Sexist Vintage Ads 1950s - 08/19/12 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
In '83, we rented a cottage on Cape Cod for a week. Like most rental cottages of the era, it had a supply of old National Geographics. One from 1949 had an ad from the Bell System. Showed three middle-aged women (looking like they just got out of church) standing around a car with a flat tire, with the jack on the ground, looking totally, completely baffled. Off to the side was a telephone pole, with a lineman coming down to help. Message was "Spirit of Service: We're always ready to help."

I took it to the office and showed it to one of the women's libbers. She and I got a big chuckle. Then she said, "Uh, I don't know how to change a tire..." lol

Though I sure as hell am glad things are not like they were in the 50's in regards to those ads but I still still think things like, having a man hold a door open for a woman, or standing to shake your hand is very sweet. Plus, I admit I don't know how to change a tire either. Even if I did, I'd be scared to death I mess up and the tire would come off. lol

TIS
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Sexist Vintage Ads 1950s - 08/19/12 06:12 PM

Those ads are classic. years ago I paged through a book from the 1950s, instructing wives how to treat their husbands. To paraphrase, it said that wives should always look nice, wear makeup and have their hair done because husbands deserve to look at something pretty after a hard day's work. Also it stressed that the wife should not inconvenience her husband with her problems as he has too much on his mind as it is.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Sexist Vintage Ads 1950s - 08/20/12 04:43 PM

VIVARIN, great idea. My wife has been boring for a long time. cool
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Sexist Vintage Ads 1950s - 08/20/12 05:59 PM

Just my luck. I was born in 1959 whistle.
Posted By: Sam_Bowers

Re: Sexist Vintage Ads 1950s - 09/06/12 07:00 PM

America was an all around healthier place in the 50s. It is a shame how it has all degenerated now.
Posted By: Blake

Re: Sexist Vintage Ads 1950s - 09/06/12 07:15 PM

lol Good luck getting away with printing ads like those today.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET