Home

Religion and Ethics

Posted By: olivant

Religion and Ethics - 06/22/12 05:28 PM

Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

Leah Libresco, who’d been a prominent atheist blogger for the religion website Patheos, announced on her blog this week that after years of debating many “smart Christians,” she has decided to become one herself, and that she has begun the process of converting to Catholicism.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/22...cism/?hpt=hp_c3

Posted By: klydon1

Re: Religion and Ethics - 06/22/12 05:45 PM

Welcome to the party.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 07/31/12 06:50 PM

Perhaps this best fits here because it is in regard to religion and gay marriage:

CNN says it wasn't editorializing when it used the pop song "Stupid Girls" to introduce a segment about Sarah Palin on Sunday.

Pop star Pink was heard singing the lyrics, "stupid girl, stupid girls" just before a photo was shown onscreen of Palin posing with her husband Todd at a Chick-fil-A outpost in Texas.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national...5#ixzz22EAWwGHK
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Religion and Ethics - 07/31/12 08:49 PM

Good for her. And I love Chick-fil-A. wink
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Religion and Ethics - 07/31/12 10:43 PM

I can take or leave Chick Filet, but would never refuse to go because of their views, any more than I would refuse to go to an Exxon Station if they were selling gas for a lower price than others.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Religion and Ethics - 07/31/12 10:56 PM

I like chick filet also. I like how they are closed on Sundays. I don't go there very often. the closet one to me is about 20 min.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/01/12 12:42 AM

If there had been a Chic-Fil-A in Galilee at the time, would Jesus have ordered from them to feed the 5,000?

A couple of the Apostles were heard grumbling ... "Loaves and fishes, loaves and fishes. Can't we have something else for a change?"

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/01/12 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
If there had been a Chic-Fil-A in Galilee at the time, would Jesus have ordered from them to feed the 5,000?

Now, why would Jesus need to order food to feed the 5,000? wink

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/01/12 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant

A couple of the Apostles were heard grumbling ... "Loaves and fishes, loaves and fishes. Can't we have something else for a change?"

Jesus would have ordered from Chik Fil A...unless there was an Arby's or Taco Bell on his way.

we have a few Chik Fil-A restaurants where I live. I haven't been to one in years, but remember their food as being pretty good.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 01:15 AM

Speaking of Chic-Fil-A, it made my day when I saw this miserable POS lost his job. Hope he thought it was worth it. wink

Tucson executive loses job after confronting Chick-fil-A worker
By Laura Hautala
August 12, 2012

Arizona resident Adam Smith thought he was doing good by taking a video of himself confronting a Chick-fil-A employee in the drive-thru lane Wednesday.

“Chick-fil-A is a hateful company,” Smith said to the employee in the video, which is still up on YouTube under multiple accounts.

But his employer, Tucson medical equipment manufacturer Vante, saw it differently. Vante has announced that Smith, formerly the chief financial officer and treasurer, no longer works there.

“We respect the right of our employees and all Americans to hold and express their personal opinions,” said a statement from the company. “However, we also expect our company officers to behave in a manner commensurate with their position and in a respectful fashion that conveys these values of civility with others.”

The video shows the Chick-fil-A employee responding to Smith’s statements by saying, “I’m really uncomfortable that you’re video taping,” and, “It’s a pleasure to serve you, always.”

Smith said that by taking free water from the Chick-fil-A drive thru, he hoped he was taking money away from hate groups.

“I don’t know how you stand it,” Smith said to the employee. “This is a horrible corporation with horrible values.”

After the employee wished Smith a nice day, he responded, “I will. I just did something really good. I feel purposeful.”

An account for Vante Chief Financial Officer Adam Smith is no longer available on professional networking site LinkedIn.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-chickfila-drivethru-confrontation-executive-loses-job-20120802,0,5061379.story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLNgkP9nzc
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 04:37 PM

It's enough already with this Chick-Fil-A nonsense.

What I find funny is that the same uber-liberals who scream about the First Amendment on a daily basis are the same people who want to stifle Dan Cathy from speaking his mind. I don't personally agree with his position on the subject, but he is as entitled to speak against gay marriage as anyone is to speak for it.

And who the fuck is Christine Quinn to put pressure on the city to block the building of any future Chick-Fil-A establishments? What is this, Nazi Germany?

If you don't want to eat there, don't eat there. But how dare she use her political pull to punish a business with a different political view than her own, the fat ugly pig. Ray Kelly better run for mayor because Quinn will get the Democratic nomination going away. They'll make it about how the Right "hates" everyone else, meanwhile their own bullying tactics are just as hateful as anything the Republicans are guilty of.

And keep in mind that I've been a registered Democrat since I pulled the lever for the first time in 1977. But what's right is right.

Ray Kelly 2012! That's all I'm saying.
Posted By: SC

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
But how dare she use her political pull to punish a business with a different political view than her own, the fat ugly pig.

Since we're dealing with some aspects of political correctness here please, in the future, refer to Quinn as the rotund, attractiveness challenged sow.

FWIW - I agree with 99% with your entire post. Kelly is definitely a politically savvy guy but I don't know his positions on a lot of issues.
Posted By: DeMeo

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 04:47 PM

Political correctness can only be enforced with government force.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 04:48 PM

Gotcha, SC smile.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 04:52 PM

The Cick Fil A story is kind of a comical commentary of our times. On Chik-Fil-A Appreciation Day, one of our local stores had massive lines. Church groups in buses arrived, formed large, hand holding circles, and prayed in the parking lot. It's just a matter of time before the Virgin Mary appears in a chicken nugget.

The sideshow gets better. Today at 8 pm there is supposed to be anational event where there will be same sex kissing in each Chick-Fil-A store. A pastor from one of the church groups plans to have a presence at some of the stores in order to minister to the same sex couples and encourage them to become heterosexual.

KFC has gotten in on the act with a marquis campaign advertising, "Delicious Chicken Served Without Hate." They had a little boost in business.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 04:55 PM

And who the fuck is Christine Quinn to put pressure on the city to block the building of any future Chick-Fil-A establishments? What is this, Nazi Germany?

I don't think NYC has this kind of intolerance since the yahoos, who wanted the city to prevent Muslims from building a community center/mosque near Ground Zero.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
It's just a matter of time before the Virgin Mary appears in a chicken nugget.

You mean she hasn't yet? whistle

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 04:57 PM

I would have thought that Americans be offended with the mosque built so close to Ground Zero.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 05:00 PM

I don't think NYC has this kind of intolerance since the yahoos, who wanted the city to prevent Muslims from building a community center/mosque near Ground Zero.

I tend to agree, Klyd. I think this will hurt Quinn's political prospects in the big picture. It sure turned me off about her.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 05:09 PM

This story has piqued my interest. I would much rather take my business elsewhere than spend my money with a company whose boss goes out of his way to give his political views with which I disagree. I'd much rather have this choice than having a politician decide if that company can do business in my community based on political ideology. I have no recourse for that and that scenario scares me.

I don't understand why people can't see that.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

This story has piqued my interest. I would much rather take my business elsewhere than spend my money with a company whose boss goes out of his way to give his political views with which I disagree. I'd much rather have this choice than having a politician decide if that company can do business in my community based on political ideology. I have no recourse for that and that scenario scares me.

I don't understand why people can't see that.

Well put, SC. I obviously agree 100%.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 05:12 PM

SC - I have a question: Why do Americans let politics define who they are?

Aren't you happy with yourselves? Your own personal views? Do you need officials to tell you what to say, what to think, what to feel?

I have only voted once. Found it a waste a time. I don't need my adulthood defined by a mark on ballot paper.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: DeMeo
SC - I have a question: Why do Americans let politics define who they are?

Aren't you happy with yourselves? Your own personal views? Do you need officials to tell you what to say, what to think, what to feel?

We don't. We once were under a king and kicked him out, but I guess since then we're just like any other country with its citizens having mixed views.

I'll keep my own views to myself.

Too many of my countrymen died for my right to vote, and although I don't vote in all elections, I will vote in many.

To each his own.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 05:34 PM

"Decisions are made by people who show up". Those that don't exercise their right to vote (a right denied to many in the world) have no right to complain when their government does something to make them unhappy.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Those that don't exercise their right to vote (a right denied to many in the world) have no right to complain when their government does something to make them unhappy.

+1

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
"Decisions are made by people who show up". Those that don't exercise their right to vote (a right denied to many in the world) have no right to complain when their government does something to make them unhappy.

We once didn't have that right. Remember back in the 1770s that "taxation without representation" thing? We hadda kick some ass or we might still be talking with a British accent.

Oops, sorry my Brit friends. whistle

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 05:50 PM

Tea, The Beatles, Yogi and DeNiro. Other than that, you can keep them tongue grin.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:01 PM

It's enough already with this Chick-Fil-A nonsense.

What I find funny is that the same uber-liberals who scream about the First Amendment on a daily basis are the same people who want to stifle Dan Cathy from speaking his mind. I don't personally agree with his position on the subject, but he is as entitled to speak against gay marriage as anyone is to speak for it.

If you don't want to eat there, don't eat there. But how dare she use her political pull to punish a business with a different political view than her own, the fat ugly pig. Ray Kelly better run for mayor because Quinn will get the Democratic nomination going away. They'll make it about how the Right "hates" everyone else, meanwhile their own bullying tactics are just as hateful as anything the Republicans are guilty of.

And keep in mind that I've been a registered Democrat since I pulled the lever for the first time in 1977. But what's right is right.

Ray Kelly 2012! That's all I'm saying.

If the BB had a "like" tab like facebook I would be liking this post.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:05 PM

The sideshow gets better. Today at 8 pm there is supposed to be anational event where there will be same sex kissing in each Chick-Fil-A store.

Purpose of this is what? Is the gay community pissed that Chick-Fil-A didn't go out of business, and that droves of people went there on appreciation day? Enough already!!

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:06 PM

I have only voted once. Found it a waste a time. I don't need my adulthood defined by a mark on ballot paper.

Now, think about how inane your statement is. Without registering your vote, you let others dictate federal, state, and local governments' laws, policy, funding, processes, and procedures. Thus(write this down), you will have others, effectively telling you how things are going to be despite what you say, think, and feel!
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:14 PM

I am amazed at the low turnouts in this country. In non presidential years I do not think it is 50%, and if there is the odd way of year for some kind of local election, i.e. replacement of a congress person it is maybe 35%.

Even in a good presidential year I think the number is around 60%, which in effect means we can choose a president by 30% plus one. Less for other officials.

The failure of people to vote in primaries and other like elections can mean that somewhere around 10% can determine the nominee of a party, hence some of the crazies on the right an left appearing stronger than they actually are.

Peronally I like Australia's law that requires everone to vote.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:18 PM

I think that people who don't vote should be punished by being locked in a dark room while listening to "Rock and Roll Heaven" by The Righteous Brothers over and over again.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:19 PM

DT, one statistic to look at is the number of votes cast in the municipal elections of the city where you live. Where I live it is usually never higher than 5%. Although it is local and state law and taxes which we are more likely to encounter and violate more frequently, we neglect t exercise our influence abou those laws and taxes with a certain alacrity.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:21 PM

What is up with Mayor Bloomberg and this breast milk issue?

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon

I heard that he spits it out.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:26 PM

He sucks.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:31 PM

Keep me out of this discussion, SC. Do us all this favour.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:36 PM

Keep me out of this discussion, SC. Do us all this favour.

confused

You're the one who keeps entering it.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:39 PM

I got that horrible pent up, angry feeling in connection with the politics issue. Thats exactly why I prefer to keep out of it. I've also learned to not speak politics with Americans, with their Democrats vs Republicans social battle raging.

You guys hang onto politics like its a religion.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:43 PM

I got that horrible pent up, angry feeling in connection with the politics issue. Thats exactly why I prefer to keep out of it. I've also learned to not speak politics with Americans, with their Democrats vs Republicans social battle raging.

So why are you asking me to keep you out of this discussion?

Control yourself.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:44 PM

Actually, you've been the one doing that. Could I request a total ban? smile

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 06:47 PM

Actually, you've been the one doing that. Could I request a total ban?

Sure you can request it.

*REQUEST DENIED*

Anyway, let's please stop littering this decent discussion thread. Please take this off the board.
Posted By: southphilly old head

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 07:00 PM

Everybody knowS that Obama inherited a disaster held on a thread from the Bush administration, but he really did nothing to improve the situation in 3 plus years and probably wont in the next 4 plus years because say what you want he is gona win again.

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 07:08 PM

What does ^^^^^ have to do w/religion and ethics?

SC & PB I liked your bloomberg comments lol
Posted By: southphilly old head

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 07:16 PM

sorry i lost myself again lol

Re: Religion and Ethics - 08/03/12 07:58 PM

What does ^^^^^ have to do w/religion and ethics?

Exactly.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET