Home

Ayn Rand

Posted By: Fame

Ayn Rand - 01/11/12 03:02 PM

So lately I finally took some time to read her novels. Then I listened/watched her interviews. It's all interesting, but I can't say it left an impression on me. She encouraged people to love themselves, to be proud of themselves and not be ashamed to say so. People who already felt that way found a new sort of leader to represent them, while others who lacked the confidence owed it to her for changing their lives. She became a phenomenon all across the U.S.

On the one hand, you can't argue that inspiring people to chase their own goals and express their individual force is not a worthy achievement.

On the other hand, the sloganish and baseless perspective that "man needs nobody but himself" (in whatever version you prefer) is not only foolish, but is quite a dangerous line of thought.

She was a writer, philosopher and an icon, for better or worse.

Does anyone here remember her popularity during the 60's or 70's? please share.

Also, can you think of other individuals who had that big an influence on how so many people think?

One comes to mind right now: L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology.
Posted By: Mark

Re: Ayn Rand - 01/11/12 03:07 PM

Fame - Personally, I credit my lord & saviour, Jesus Christ. No, this is not a joke or a Tebow slam. I am not perfect but I truly try to walk through my day keeping in mind WWJD. BTW - another great thought provoking thread by our Fame! cool
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Ayn Rand - 01/11/12 04:15 PM

Rand was batshit insane, and not only because she was such a conservative. But she sure could write. "Atlas Shrugged" ranks only behind "The Great Gatsby" on my all-time favorite novel list.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Ayn Rand - 01/11/12 07:55 PM

I've read all her novels and think she's one of the greatest writers and thinkers. Her philosophy was a product of the time - remember she was a product of the Russian Revolution.

Yes, she was extreme, and she could be abrasive and quite rude. However, her books have been my favorite since I was 14, when I first read The Fountainhead. Although I agree with you, PB, that Atlas Shrugged is a great book, We The Living has always been my favorite, perhaps because I find the characters to be her most human.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Ayn Rand - 01/15/12 01:09 PM

© 2024 GangsterBB.NET