Home

Let it snow

Posted By: Just Lou

Let it snow - 12/26/10 06:32 AM

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY INTO MONDAY...

* LOCATIONS...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...NEW YORK CITY...LONG ISLAND AND COASTAL SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT AS WELL AS ALL OF SOUTHEASTERN CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS...WITH CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY AT TIMES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...11 TO 16 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. SNOW MAY MIX WITH OR CHANGE TO RAIN AND SLEET AT THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT ACROSS EASTERN LONG ISLAND...AND POSSIBLY ACROSS COASTAL SOUTHEAST CONNECTICUT...WHICH COULD HOLD DOWN AMOUNTS THERE...BUT ONLY AFTER SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS HAVE ALREADY TAKEN PLACE.

* IMPACTS...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS DEVELOPING SUNDAY AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING DUE TO SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...AND STRONG WINDS CAUSING CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW. VISIBILITIES WILL BE NEAR ZERO AT TIMES...WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS EXPECTED. STRONG WINDS MAY ALSO DOWN SOME POWER LINES...TREE LIMBS...AND CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN DURING SUNDAY MORNING...THEN BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON INTO MUCH OF SUNDAY NIGHT. LIGHT SNOWS WILL LIKELY LINGER INTO EARLY MONDAY MORNING.

* WINDS....DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM SUNDAY NIGHT...NORTH WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 20 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS 40 TO 55 MPH LIKELY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.
Posted By: SC

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 06:41 AM

"Hurricane" Schwartz, the NBC weather guy in Philly is going with:

If this verifies, Geoff, Just Lou, Don Cardi, Sr. Vitelli, Sicilian Babe, pizzaboy and SC all look to get 20 inches.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 06:53 AM

Over here, We're already snowed over this side of a 1970s rockstar coke party.

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 07:00 AM

"Weatherpeople" all suck. Earlier in the week they said possible heavy snow. Then for 2 days they said we'd get nothing more than a dusting. Now it's turned into a blizzard.

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 07:03 AM

This is all due to the wife giving me a new shovel for Christmas. lol
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 07:44 AM

This sounds/seems like a fail (miss) to me, but, I suppose I'll have to stock up tomorrow anyway...
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 02:38 PM

Just finished flipping the dials on the Idiot Box (read: television) and it does seem that we're in for a serious dumping in these parts. All the various Weather People keep repeating the phrase "blizzard conditions" over and over. Doesn't look good - that is, unless you really like blizzard conditions.

The problem here where I live is that some of the homeowners and store owners do not do a good job of shoveling sidewalks (particularly the homeowners). There are also two empty lots on my street where houses used to stand. These sidewalks will not be cleared at all, and eventually everything will freeze over and become quite dangerous.

If I'm lucky, maybe everything will melt after a few days. The Weather People are predicting above-freezing temperatures later this week. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Meanwhile, I think I'll go to the store and get some extra food for myself and the cat just in case.

And, SC: 20 inches?? Not even in my worst nightmare! lol (Though in this day and age, it would probably land me my own reality show!)

Signor V.

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
And, SC: 20 inches??

You, me and Secretariat together. frown

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 03:49 PM

OK, I'm a self-described weather nerd. I've been following this storm all night and was set to go out at 6:00 a.m. (when the supermarkets re-opened after Christmas) and buy some food. Problem is I fell asleep until 9:30 and when I got to the stores they were more crowded than I've EVER seen them. eek

I couldn't get a parking spot anywhere near the stores, or I couldn't find a cart, so I ended up going to a drug store and bought some overpriced items.... (those that were left).

It started snowing about 30 minutes ago and it just started sticking.... next stop: 12 inches.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 04:18 PM

Anyone familiar with the weather in Syracuse today? My daughter is returning from there this afternoon.

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
Anyone familiar with the weather in Syracuse today? My daughter is returning from there this afternoon.

Cold with light snow. Travel should not be affected.

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 05:20 PM

Thanks SC. I'm looking out my window and, although it's cold, the sun is shining. Ahh, Texas weather!

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 05:32 PM

What a bunch of weenies. The Philadelphia football game was postponed because of the snow.

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 06:43 PM

Latest National Weather Service Forecast:

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST MONDAY...

A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST MONDAY.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS...WITH CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY AT TIMES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...15 TO 20 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS UP TO 2 FEET POSSIBLE.

* IMPACTS...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS DEVELOPING THIS AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING DUE TO SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...AND STRONG WINDS CAUSING CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW. VISIBILITIES WILL BE NEAR ZERO AT TIMES... WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS EXPECTED. STRONG WINDS MAY ALSO DOWN SOME POWER LINES...TREE LIMBS...AND CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES THIS AFTERNOON INTO MUCH OF TONIGHT. THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF FROM WEST TO EAST MONDAY MORNING...BUT STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS WILL PERSIST THROUGH THE AFTERNOON.

* WINDS....DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM TONIGHT...NORTH WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS OF 40 TO 60 MPH. ISOLATED HIGHER GUSTS ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS LONG ISLAND.

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 07:10 PM

It's a mess out there. Snowing, windy, just miserable. My daughter has to work today, so my husband drove her in this morning. Thank goodness he drives a Hummer.

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 07:49 PM

It's snowing horizontally right now. Not a promising sign.

Re: Let it snow - 12/26/10 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Lou
It's snowing horizontally right now. Not a promising sign.

Same here. Lots of howling wind, several inches already on the ground...and I'm just glad I'm indoors and that I took care of any last minute shopping, etc., earlier this morning. I don't have to be anywhere tomorrow (Monday), so as long as there's enough food for myself and the cat (and his litterbox is clean), then All Is Right With The World (maybe).

But, this storm is definitely going to be a major Pain-In-The Ass for a lot of people.

On the other hand, why should Yogi, De Niro and Capo (et al) have all the fun?

Originally Posted By: SC
You, me and Secretariat together. frown

Yeah...you, me, and the horse we rode in on! ohwell

Signor V.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 01:53 AM

"Hurricane" Schwartz, the NBC weather guy in Philly ...If this verifies, Geoff, Just Lou, Don Cardi, Sr. Vitelli, Sicilian Babe, pizzaboy and SC all look to get 20 inches.

Me too!!!!

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 01:58 AM

What a bunch of weenies. The Philadelphia football game was postponed because of the snow.

Jim Cantore was discussing this w/ the mayor of Philly.
It was not so much for the teams (although I can't imagine how they could've played in this)....but the ticketholders for whom travel to & from the game would've been quite dangerous.

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

This sounds/seems like a fail (miss) to me....

I certainly miscalled this one!

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa

Jim Cantore was discussing this w/ the mayor of Philly.
It was not so much for the teams (although I can't imagine how they could've played in this)....but the ticketholders for whom travel to & from the game would've been quite dangerous.

That's understandable. Philadelphians have enough trouble finding their way around in sunshine let alone after dark (or even when a cloud passes by overhead) and in a snowstorm. In fact, I understand that their football tickets are printed in crayon.

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 07:33 AM

This sounds/seems like a fail (miss) to me....

I certainly miscalled this one!

A 24 inch miscalculation.

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 07:36 AM

"Hurricane" Schwartz, the NBC weather guy in Philly ...If this verifies, Geoff, Just Lou, Don Cardi, Sr. Vitelli, Sicilian Babe, pizzaboy and SC all look to get 20 inches.

Me too!!!!

Yeah, apparently hell froze over. whistle

You live in the snow capital of Jersey. Some places in your general area are measuring up to 30 inches.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 12:48 PM

Batten down the hatches and stay safe folks!

Saw your adverse weather on the TV.....looks horrendous ohwell

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 07:02 PM

...You live in the snow capital of Jersey. Some places in your general area are measuring up to 30 inches.

Yes...and except for the impending 'digout' loving every inch of it. Office closed today so I got an extra day off, but am now dreading heading out to my car shovel in hand. Ah, well...it's part of the fun & has to be done!!!
Posted By: Mark

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 07:36 PM

How many inches did you guys each individually get?

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark
How many inches did you guys each individually get?

I was early forecasted (early Saturday) to get the most in the immediate metropolitan area and I probably ended up with the lowest amount (except for eastern Long Island).

It's hard to measure because of the wind driven drifts, but I suspect I have between 16-18 inches here.

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 08:21 PM

eek

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 08:35 PM

Just finished shoveling. It was up to my knees (20") plus higher drifts. Thankfully some kid stopped to help me out (of $40) but he probably saved my life.

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 08:45 PM

Does that kid wanna come out to Long Island? I can't find any kids to ask to shovel out my car.... The schools are closed!! If I was their age I'd be hustling from house to house, shovelling out cars and driveways. (I used to do that when I was a kid in Brooklyn and we'd have a big snowstorm... I always made money, and lots of it).

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 08:46 PM

Just finished shoveling. It was up to my knees (20") plus higher drifts. Thankfully some kid stopped to help me out (of $40) but he probably saved my life.

BTW - When are you gonna buy a snowblower?
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 08:53 PM

My side of the Island got hit with about 30" of snow and that doesn't count the drifts! Shoveled from 9:10 this morning to about 3:00 this afternoon and still I was not even able to get to my driveway to shovel it out!!!! My body is aching all over.

The street outside is filled with so much snow! We are really buried here.

Then I have to see the idiot Mayor Bloomberg on television saying that NYC got hit with only 20" of snow, how it is a normal day, everything is going fine with snow salting and plowing, it's business as usual in NYC...etc. etc. Obviously the mayor is going by the measured snow fall in Central Park! Obviously he forgets that there are other boroughs in this city.

So I called 311 and got the mayor's office on the line and asked them to have mayor Bloomberg come out to my side of Staten Island so that I could show him what 30" of snow looks like and how it really is NOT business as usual in the borough that got him elected! The guy on the line said that he would relay my message to the appropriate person and also said that he will be sure to inform them that my area of Staten Island was hit hard and that we need plowing and salting done.

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 08:54 PM

When are you gonna buy a snowblower?

I don't know why I didn't after last winter, which was the worst in recent memory. I probably figured if I did buy one, it wouldn't snow like that again. Hmm, maybe that'd be a good investment after all. wink

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 08:56 PM

When are you gonna buy a snowblower?

I don't know why I didn't after last winter, which was the worst in recent memory. I probably figured if I did buy one, it wouldn't snow like that again. Hmm, maybe that'd be a good investment after all. wink

I own one. It is great when you have 12" - 16" of snow or less. Once you start getting into the 20" or more area, the blower is useless.

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
My side of the Island got hit with about 30" of snow and that doesn't count the drifts! Shoveled from 9:10 this morning to about 3:00 this afternoon and still I was not even able to get to my driveway to shovel it out!!!!

Jeez!! eek

That may be even too deep for a snow blower* -- that's really gotta suck!

I was out from 1-3pm, and the kid finished up the last bit by 3:20pm. And this doesn't count my awesome neighbor (with the snowblower) who always does half my sidewalk and one row up my driveway for me. That would've added another 30 mins AT LEAST. I'm definitely getting one now!

Edit: Guess I was right
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 09:17 PM

I think when JG heard he was getting 20" he volunteered to be the snowblower whistle

We got over 22" here, snowblower did nothing. Spent 4 hours outside and cleared off about 1/3 of my driveway.

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 09:23 PM

I've never seen snow over the hood or up to the car's windows.
That's my unplowed street.

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 09:28 PM

Wow.... THAT'S bad, JL.

As I type this, my landlord and next door neighbor are clearing out my car with snowblower and shovel.

Life is good sometimes.

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 09:32 PM

My neighbor cleared my sidewalk with what has to be the world's largest snowblower. I have a small one, but it's useless with this much snow.

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 09:43 PM

I've never seen snow over the hood or up to the car's windows.
That's my unplowed street.

If memory serves me correctly Lou, you do not live that far from me. The picture you posted above could very easily have been taken on my street. lol

Just unbelievable!
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 10:06 PM

OMG!! eek That's horrible. Even poor Frosty is buried up to his head.

TIS

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 10:11 PM

It was pretty nasty. It took my husband about 3 hours with the snowblower and then the girls finished off the walks and the steps. We even had to clear a path for the damn dog!

My daughter is just totally pissed that it happened during the Christmas break from school!

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
OMG!! eek That's horrible. Even poor Frosty is buried up to his head.

OK. At least hat made me laugh. lol

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 10:35 PM

If memory serves me correctly Lou, you do not live that far from me. The picture you posted above could very easily have been taken on my street. lol

Just unbelievable!

I'm over in Bay Terrace. Have they plowed by you yet? They haven't done anything by me except Hylan Blvd and Amboy Rd..

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 10:39 PM

So JL, Cardi, are most businesses closed today? What about mail? confused

TIS

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 10:55 PM

Definitely no mail, but not sure what else is closed.

Re: Let it snow - 12/27/10 11:15 PM

Wow.... THAT'S bad, JL.

As I type this, my landlord and next door neighbor are clearing out my car with snowblower and shovel.

Life is good sometimes.

at least you are lucky. A house by me had an ambulance trying to get in, one person was out there shoveling the driveway, 4 PEOPLE WITH SNOWBLOWERS stood there and watched.

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 01:13 AM

Times like these bring out the best & worst in people. God bless you all out east. It looks horrible out there.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 01:25 AM

My sympathies to youse north of me. We got about 15" here in south Joisey (Sorry Geoff), but the drifting is worse than last year. My driveway had an almost bare patch and a 25" drift. I was shoveling a path on my driveway and the wind was brutal (3:30pm). First time in 45 years of driving that I got stuck in the snow; a flat, straight street, but I bottomed out on a snow drift. Had to call a tow truck. I wish the Giants were posponed.

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 02:24 AM

That photo posted above could also just as easily be my street. (Except for a little bit more foot traffic down the middle of the road.)

For the first time in my memory - and I've lived in this neighborhood a long time - the Sanitation Dept. really screwed up and left many major neighborhoods in Brooklyn untouched by their plows. Usually by this time, the city plows would have been down the side streets at least once, possibly twice. Not this year. Even emergency vehicles could not get down my block. It's simply impassable to any and all traffic.

Earlier this afternoon, around 12:30 (IIRC), one of the TV newscasts had a telephone interview with our weasely Borough President Marty Markowitz. When pressed by the newscaster as to whether the 400 workers laid off from the Dept. of Sanitation (thanks to Mayor Bloomberg) could have had anything whatsoever to do with why so many Brooklyn neighborhoods had not yet seen a snow plow, Markowitz kept stammering "I don't know! I don't know! You'll have to ask the Mayor! He'll sort everything out! He'll answer that question!"

Yeah, ask The Great Oz. The Wizard knows... rolleyes

Meanwhile, the wind howls outside, the cat howls inside, but at least we have electricity and enough food to last for a few days.

Guess it could be a lot worse.

Signor V.

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 04:17 AM

For the first time in my memory - and I've lived in this neighborhood a long time - the Sanitation Dept. really screwed up and left many major neighborhoods in Brooklyn untouched by their plows. Usually by this time, the city plows would have been down the side streets at least once, possibly twice. Not this year.

Do you remember the big storm from February, 1969? It got to be known as the "Mayor Lindsay" storm after the Sanitation Dept. did a TERRIBLE job of clearing the snow away. The then mayor, John Lindsay, took the blame for the poor effort of the City's Sanitation Dept. and it ended up costing him a lot of backing in political circles.

Streets remained unplowed for days... it's beginning to look like this storm will be a repeat of that.

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 04:31 AM

My street's now only accessible by one car per direction at a time. I got lucky the few times I was out, but my friend took a less-plowed street to avoid an on-coming car and got stuck (and of course I had to walk a couple blocks to push him). Even the main streets are bad. Pathetic here, too. ohwell
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 04:56 AM

We didn't get a single flake of snow in Harrisburg even though York (30 minutes south) and Lancaster (30 minutes east) got buried.

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 09:30 AM

Here are some pix from my window:

About 10:30 a.m. Sunday ... just getting back from the food store when it started:

Later in the day:

Just before getting the car shoveled out:

KiKi checking out the snow:

Posted By: Beth E

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 12:50 PM

The Bundy mobile.

Kiki looks purrfectly delightful looking at the white stuff. She's saying, "Let me out to play, dad".

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 01:01 PM

How many of you New Yawkers are going shopping and seeing a Broadway play like Bloomie's telling you to?

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 02:05 PM

I hope all "youse" are doing better this morning. Check in so we know all is good...

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Beth E
How many of you New Yawkers are going shopping and seeing a Broadway play like Bloomie's telling you to?

Here's one New Yawkah who won't be driving to Broadway... it's a video (shot from someone's apartment window) of a New York City Sanitation Dept. tow truck dragging a front-end loader out of a snowbank. In the process, a parked Ford Explorer gets creamed.

It happened in downtown Brooklyn on Sunday. The "commentary" by the photographer is particularly funny.

Enjoy:

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 03:58 PM

What a retard. WTF! haha.

Who's paying for the damage to that car?

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 04:02 PM

Who's paying for the damage to that car?

Ya betta believe that it won't be the guy who could most afford to pay for it (Bloomberg).
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 04:22 PM

Wow it is so weird that when Ohio gets blasted with the white stuff you guys in the NY/NJ area get nothing. Now it is visa versa. I'm in Newport News,VA with my kids for a week and they got a ft of snow. Becky bought a shovel before we left Ohio cuz she knew that the stores would be sold out here.

I wish you guys the best.

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 06:56 PM

That is great, SC! I suppose there was no other way to do it, and I'm sure this video will help the car's owner in the end...

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 07:30 PM

Just unbelievable!

I'm over in Bay Terrace. Have they plowed by you yet? They haven't done anything by me except Hylan Blvd and Amboy Rd..

They've done SQUAT! D**K! After 6 hours of shoveling yesterday I went back out at 9 this morning and shoveled out my driveway and my neighbor's driveway and finished about 1:30 this afternoon. I tried calling 311 and after going through what seemed like 700 recorded messages I finally was put through and guess what? .... The 311 phone just rand, and rang and rang. No answer!

Look, I understand that the city got pummeled and that it takes time in a blizzard of this magnitude for the snow plows to get to the side streets. But when I keep hearing our illustrious mayor saying that the city is fully operational and that the streets are clear, it burns me up! This whiny voiced dwarf motherf**ker of a mayor is clueless! All he is doing is covering up the fact that the sanitation department is on an unofficial slowdown! And it is due to the fact that hiz honor decided to demote senior supervisors back down to regualr sanit men, decided not to bring in a new class, and then at the height of this storm puts out a message on 311, television and the radio that the City Of New York is looking to hire outside contractors to remove and plow snow!

I'd be pissed too if I were a sanitation man who got demoted or laid off!

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 08:57 PM

They finally got around to semi-clearing some of the streets by me. I left a report on 311's website. Big waste of time.

SI is pissed

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 09:09 PM

Channel 7 is airing a "Blizzard Special" now ... they just showed parts of Staten Island.

It's bad all over the City.

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 10:16 PM

(said in a winy bitch voice)

"The city’s going on."

"Broadway shows are going on and New Yorkers should venture out to see one."
uhwhat

He's a real......

!!!!

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 10:30 PM

In 1979, Chicago was buried by the blizzard of '79. Then Mayor, Michael Bilandic, screwed up royally which paved the way for Jane Byrne to be elected mayor of Chitown in 1980. Not that she was anything to rave about, but Chicagoans were so pissed at Bilandic, he was voted out of office and the lack of response to the blizzard was a key factor. One of the more infamous stories were plow crews clearing empty parking lots while streets went ignored or forgotten altogether. I hope things get better for you guys. It sounds like a real nightmare!

Re: Let it snow - 12/28/10 10:40 PM

A little back story...it just so happens that the Explorer that was torn apart in that video belongs to an officer for the Department of Sensation (?), I believe. Its something about all of the layoffs in NY and not plowing the roads was a way of getting back at the officers, well they really got back to that guy.

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 12:50 AM

Here in Newport News that don't even plow the neighboorhoods. Not enough equipment.

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone
A little back story...it just so happens that the Explorer that was torn apart in that video belongs to an officer for the Department of Sensation (?), I believe. Its something about all of the layoffs in NY and not plowing the roads was a way of getting back at the officers, well they really got back to that guy.

I heard that, too. The Explorer was a Dept. vehicle that the officer uses off duty. I don't believe there is any connection between the fact that the car is City owned and the layoffs is provable.

I am glad, though, that there is PROOF of what really happened and the City can't talk their way out of this one.

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 04:44 AM

...Look, I understand that the city got pummeled and that it takes time in a blizzard of this magnitude for the snow plows to get to the side streets.

Really? Then why all the complaining (from EVERYBODY) only 2 days out from the storm?

...But when I keep hearing our illustrious mayor saying that the city is fully operational and that the streets are clear...

He's probably referring more to Manhattan than the Borough's.

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 04:57 AM

...But when I keep hearing our illustrious mayor saying that the city is fully operational and that the streets are clear...

New York City has five boroughs. Manhattan is only one of them.

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 03:39 PM

New York City has five boroughs. Manhattan is only one of them.

Thank you SC. It's exactly the point I was trying to bring out! FIVE .....5......Boroughs! Not just Manhattan.

...Look, I understand that the city got pummeled and that it takes time in a blizzard of this magnitude for the snow plows to get to the side streets.

Really? Then why all the complaining (from EVERYBODY) only 2 days out from the storm?

Why all the complaining? Because when the so called leader of the city goes on every major news station and tells the people, within 24 hours of a major blizzard, that everything is running close to normal and that people should come to Manhattan and take in a play, it's an outrage! Had the man went on television and said that he understands that the outer boroughs( you know, the other 4 that SC had to make you aware of wink ) of Manhattan have been buried, to please be patient, and that as the mayor he is trying to coordinate a cleanup effort to the best of his ability, then there wouldn't have been as much outrage by the people as there is right now.

For GOD's sake Apple, this dumb ass bastard is telling people to come to Manhattan to take in a play when in reality a massive amount of people from the other 4 boroughs haven't been able to get out to get to work to make a buck! People are losing money every day because the ball was dropped by the mayor and many of the leaders of this city starting with the cutbacks that were made to the sanitation department going into this winter.

Can't make it to Manhattan to earn a living because of being snowed in after 3 days, but hey, I'll try to get there to take in a play. rolleyes

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 04:34 PM

What is a good local NY radio station to listen to for coverage of this mayhem? I want to listen online...

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 04:42 PM

What is a good local NY radio station to listen to for coverage of this mayhem? I want to listen online...

WABC NEWS TALK RADIO 77

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 04:48 PM

Commuters Still Face Delays As Blizzard Cleanup Continues
VIDEO FROM NEW YORK ONE NEWS

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 04:50 PM

Thanks, DC - I just heard on 1010 WINS that Brooklyn officials are calling on the Governor to declare Brooklyn a state of emergency and send in the national guard...they said some streets in Brooklyn haven't been touched since the storm began and Mayor Bloomberg replied that all streets will be cleared by the end of the day. Again - this according to 1010 WINS. I'm going to click on your link, Cardi. Thanks!

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 06:34 PM

Is his royal dickness the Mayor of Staten Island to DC?

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 07:07 PM

I finally made it off my street today. rolleyes

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 07:17 PM

Thanks, DC - I just heard on 1010 WINS that Brooklyn officials are calling on the Governor to declare Brooklyn a state of emergency and send in the national guard...they said some streets in Brooklyn haven't been touched since the storm began and Mayor Bloomberg replied that all streets will be cleared by the end of the day. Again - this according to 1010 WINS. I'm going to click on your link, Cardi. Thanks!

If that's the case than Staten Island should also be declared as being in a state of emergency! So many streets have not been touched!!!

Originally Posted By: Mignon
Is his royal dickness the Mayor of Staten Island to DC?

Not sure anymore. Perhaps Apple can answer your question. lol wink

BOROUGHS OF NYC : Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Staten Island.

THESE are the BOROUGHS of NYC and he is the MAYOR of NYC.

Five Families.....Five Boroughs! wink

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 11:36 PM

At around ten this morning a plow finally came down my street. Didn't do a particularly good job, but at least it was a start. Then at some point in the mid-afternoon, I believe they plowed again. I say "believe" because at that time I was in another room that does not have a view of the street; but I did recognize the familiar sound of heavy equipment rumbling down my block.

But, how many neighborhoods still have not been touched? When our Mayor Scumberg said at a press conference yesterday, "We can't do everything all at once," I just shook my head. Unbelievable. Later, one of the local newscasts did mention what DC said in an earlier post: that there were rumors that this was an intentional slowdown by the Sanitation Dept. - and of course, the head of that department (I think his name is Dougherty?) "vehemently denied" the allegations.

To tell the truth, I was no fan of former mayor Rudy Giuliani (to put it mildly). But I think there's no way in hell that he would have let this happen. All I hear now is that there will be some sort of "investigation" into all this BS starting on January 10. I can see this one coming a mile away: An "investigation" in name only, where there are lots of lips flapping and accusations flying, but nothing will get done and no heads will roll. Business As Usual.

Oh, and I caught part of a news headline a little while ago where the head of NYC's Office of Emergency Management reportedly said that there was nothing wrong with the city's response to the blizzard.

Are they serious??

Signor V.

Re: Let it snow - 12/29/10 11:44 PM

Boy, that sounds awful. I feel for you guys. Why would the sanitation department (the department I assume that handles the street plowing??) intentionally slow down? That's not right. confused

TIS

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 12:56 AM

Mayor Scumberg

lol

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 01:27 PM

Boy, that sounds awful. I feel for you guys. Why would the sanitation department (the department I assume that handles the street plowing??) intentionally slow down? That's not right. confused

TIS

Guys around here do that for the over time pay...especially around the holidays.

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 03:23 PM

Well here we are, FOUR days out from the snowstorm, and my block had yet to see a plow or a salter come down it! We are still buried in! It's outrageous!

I just got off the phone with the Congressman's office, the City Councilman's office and Eyewitness news. Also left a message with the Borough President's office.

I think that this egotistical motherfucker of a mayor has Alzheimer's disease! This bastard goes to the St. George area of Staten Island this morning to have fucking breakfast and has the balls to say how Staten Island is almost all plowed! He is having breakfast down by the ferry terminal, by the water, which probably was one of the first areas to be cleaned up as it is where ALL of the Island's Government offices, municipal offices and courts are!

There are many self employed people living on my block who are in the service industry and are losing all kinds of money each day because they cannot get out of the block to service their customers and / or accounts.

"Everything is fine, come to Manhattan, take in a play!"

What a fucking dickhead! mad mad
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 03:45 PM

DC, this sounds awful. We get the same over here, they plow and salt a few main roads and the city centres and the suburbs are left to stew. Then they start moaning about having no grit/salt left. We went nearly 4 weeks this month with no rubbish collections because the carts couldn't get through the streets.......

I sincerely hope your situation eases soon!

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 04:06 PM

Just got a call on my cell phone from one of the workers in our Congressman's office! Told me to look outside because a plow should be coming down my block soon.

Sure enough about 5 minutes later a plow came down my street. The snow is so frozen that they could only get a small layer plowed!

As I am typing this they have come back down for a second time to try and plow another level and salt at the same time.

My Congressman and his office came through for us!

Screw you Mayor Bloomberg... go have your breakfast and take in a play....you wrinkled winy looking prune!

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 04:16 PM

Hey Mayor dickhead watch out for Don Cardi.

To all residents of NYC if you need something call Don Cardi he'll get the job done.

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 05:11 PM

It IS really bad from what I hear. It was reported that 911 calls are not getting answered or responded to quickly enough. frown

TIS

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 05:31 PM

Hey Mayor dickhead watch out for Don Cardi.

To all residents of NYC if you need something call Don Cardi he'll get the job done.

BOROUGH PRESIDENT : (after Mayor Bloomberg exits) "Who should I give this job to?"

DON CARDI : "Not to our paisan. Give it to a Jew congressman, in another district."

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 05:32 PM

It IS really bad from what I hear. It was reported that 911 calls are not getting answered or responded to quickly enough. frown

TIS

A blizzard baby delivered inside the lobby of a snowbound Brooklyn building died after an emergency call of a woman in labor brought no help for nine excruciating hours.......

Read more:

DEATH OF NEWBORN BABY

Really really sad.

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 05:49 PM

DC,

That is really sad. I heard the following story on the news (and in the article you just posted) today. How heartbreaking that must have been: frown

A woman in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, was forced to spend the night with her dead father after the medical examiner's office took more than 24 hours to claim his body.

TIS

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 05:58 PM

DC,

A woman in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, was forced to spend the night with her dead father after the medical examiner's office took more than 24 hours to claim his body.

TIS

Maybe the medical examiner took our Mayor's advice and went to see a play. (said with arrogance and not in a joking manner)

frown

What a shame this is!

The tragic stories that are popping up are just heartbreaking.

Bloomberg really dropped the ball on this one. I believe that if Rudy Giuliani was the mayor he would have had Gov. Pataki declare a state of emergency and would have had the Sanitation Department out there salting and plowing throughout the storm late into Monday so that by Tuesday ALL of the boroughs would have been in pretty good shape.

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 07:20 PM

Bloomberg's not half the man that old Rudy was, and that's NOT a short joke!

Disgraceful stuff going on. Bad timing on the Mayor's part if he was at all serious about that run for the White House.

I saw a woman on the news whose mother died in her arms, waiting for emergency responders. It's a disgrace what's going on.

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 08:36 PM

Does this remind you of any other event that happened?

Re: Let it snow - 12/30/10 09:49 PM

I see the Newark Mayor, Cory Booker, is getting kudos for being out and about helping to dig people out the snow. From the story I saw, he's been out all day helping out. eek

TIS

Re: Let it snow - 12/31/10 03:17 PM

I see the Newark Mayor, Cory Booker, is getting kudos for being out and about helping to dig people out the snow. From the story I saw, he's been out all day helping out. eek

TIS

Was Assemblyman Zellman there helping too? Are Barone Sanitation trucks able to get through and finish up their routes? wink Seriously, I hope everyone is okay and able to get around better now. In north central Illinois it is crazy. This time last week we had about 16-18" of snow on the ground already with another 8-10" falling over Christmas Eve & Christmas Day. Yesterday was 40 degrees and things started melting. Last night we had thunderstorms and rain & now most of the snow has melted away. I can see my green grass all throughout the yard. It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature! whistle

Re: Let it snow - 01/01/11 01:34 AM

Hey Mark are you guys expecting TORNADOES? Can't believe the destruction in the mid west. Tornadoes are a Spring and Fall phenomenon, not winter.

Re: Let it snow - 01/01/11 01:54 PM

Fortunately for us, all that bad weather was south. Yes, there were tornadoes near St. Louis and a lot of parts of southern Illinois. There was even a major thunderstorm just 20-30 miles south east of us as well. We were very fortunate here in north central Illinois. However, it was 50 - 60 degrees throughout much of the area so all hell broke loose.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Let it snow - 01/02/11 04:37 PM

We had tons of snow like Mark mentioned but now it's all melted and somehow my grass is still green. It's been so long since I could see my yard. It's nice not to have to walk on snow to get to your car. And not getting your car stuck in your driveway is pretty cool too.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Let it snow - 01/03/11 11:04 AM

The Republican governor of New Jersey claimed no responsibility those trapped by the snow not on state roads while he was away on vacation to Disneyworld with his family when his state suffered its fifth-largest blizzard on record.

“If someone is snowed into their house, that’s not our responsibility,” Gov. Chris Christie said during his first press conference upon returning from Florida Thursday.

Christie said that he would have repeated this trip and his limit to helping those only trapped on state roads had he the opportunity to do it over again.

“I wouldn’t change the decision even if I could do it right now,” he said. “I had a great five days with my children. I promised that.”

Not our responsibility

Re: Let it snow - 01/03/11 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Lilo
The Republican governor of New Jersey claimed no responsibility those trapped by the snow not on state roads while he was away on vacation to Disneyworld with his family when his state suffered its fifth-largest blizzard on record.

“If someone is snowed into their house, that’s not our responsibility,” Gov. Chris Christie said during his first press conference upon returning from Florida Thursday.

Christie said that he would have repeated this trip and his limit to helping those only trapped on state roads had he the opportunity to do it over again.

“I wouldn’t change the decision even if I could do it right now,” he said. “I had a great five days with my children. I promised that.”

Not our responsibility

A politician who FINALLY keeps a promise?!? uhwhat

Re: Let it snow - 01/03/11 03:14 PM

I'm not sure of the governmental structure of NJ, but if it's like NY, the man has a point. Local roads are the responsibility of local government. Where I live, it's the responsibility of the town's highway department to plow out side streets. If they don't respond properly, I don't call the governor to complain, I call my town supervisor.

Re: Let it snow - 01/03/11 05:57 PM

Down here in sunny South Jersey they don't know how to plow. One lady who lives at the end of a cul-de-sac wrote an editorial how she shoveled her driveway and the town plow left a giant pile of snow about 100 yards from her driveway. Ah, the genius of town employees; tax dollars at work.

Re: Let it snow - 01/04/11 07:05 PM

...New York City has five boroughs. Manhattan is only one of them.

Agreed. I never said there weren't other boroughs.

However, I still think that when he made the statement, he WAS referring to Manhattan as being 'fully operational'.

As for the 'Broadway Show' suggestion it was probably unnecessary especially from the Mayor...but most if not all of those shows DID, in fact, go on.

After 9 years of a pretty good record of having snowstorm cleanup under control, I think it's pitiful that people are pounding the Mayor for this one.

Next week's investigation will hopefully uncover if there was any sort of work stoppage or slowdown as 'payback' to Bloomberg for budget/job cuts. If it is true even in the slightest way & their intent was to damage the Mayor, they may have accomplished that but they also hurt many people who simply needed to get around.

Re: Let it snow - 01/04/11 08:17 PM

...New York City has five boroughs. Manhattan is only one of them.

Agreed. I never said there weren't other boroughs.

No, you just mistakenly wrote that Manhattan wasn't one of them.

Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Let it snow - 01/04/11 08:23 PM

Wasn't the mishandling of a blizzard what did John Lindsay in?

Also what about that fat slob Governor of Jersey hanging out in Disney World and eating corn dogs while Jersey was snowed in?

Re: Let it snow - 01/04/11 08:30 PM

We had a big snowstorm in Feb, 1969 which, much like this past one, left MANY streets unplowed for a week. Then Mayor, John Lindsay, ended up taking the blame for the poor response by the City to clear the snow. The next election (three years later) brought up the snowstorm as a focal point and Lindsay lost the election.

I'm kind of mixed about the Jersey governor thing. He was already in Florida when the storm hit AND it had NOT been forecast to be such a bad storm (until only about 36 hours before it started). He's certainly due a vacation BUT he went about claiming that fact in a very poor and unpolitical way. This will come back to haunt him.

Re: Let it snow - 01/04/11 09:13 PM

I'm kind of mixed about the Jersey governor thing. He was already in Florida when the storm hit AND it had NOT been forecast to be such a bad storm (until only about 36 hours before it started). He's certainly due a vacation BUT he went about claiming that fact in a very poor and unpolitical way. This will come back to haunt him.

I don't see that he really did anything wrong. Even politicians are entitled to take vacations, and for the most part it is not unusual for many of them to take their vacations during Christmas. His children were off from school and that is probably why he made plans for that week to go on vacation with his family.

I've heard some say that he should have flown back! First of all the airports were closed! But even if they weren't what difference would it have made if he flew back? confused

From what I understand, he was hands on the whole time communicating and coordinating with whomever he needed to be in touch with. As someone said on the news last night, it's not as though he was going to have to drive a plow! lol

Now where I do thing that he and his office dropped the ball is that, from what I understand, the Lt. Governor was ALSO out that same week. That should never be! If the Governor of the state is going to be out for the week, then the Lt. Governor should be holding down the fort.

Re: Let it snow - 01/04/11 09:38 PM

After 9 years of a pretty good record of having snowstorm cleanup under control, I think it's pitiful that people are pounding the Mayor for this one.

Tell that to the woman who lost her newborn because the ambulance couldn't get to her for ten hours. Or the Queens woman whose mother had some breathing issues and the ambulance couldn't get down her unplowed street. She watched her mother die in front of her, despite the EMS workers valiant efforts to walk through the snow.

Re: Let it snow - 01/04/11 09:47 PM

Now where I do thing that he and his office dropped the ball is that, from what I understand, the Lt. Governor was ALSO out that same week. That should never be! If the Governor of the state is going to be out for the week, then the Lt. Governor should be holding down the fort.

The Lt. Governor was attending to some rather serious personal business with her dying father.

The governor's "manner" was out of line (politically) when defending his position. MANY will see his lack of apology as being very flippant, rude and arrogant, and I think that arrogant manner shows clearly. It's a shame, too, because he doesn't seem to be a bad guy.

Next topic - back in the City. The Sanitation Dept. ruined dozens of graves in the Washington Cemetery when they plowed huge piles of snow into the cemetery's grounds. Check out the link:

ARTICLE ON CEMETERY DESTRUCTION - CLICK HERE

Re: Let it snow - 01/04/11 09:59 PM

Next topic - back in the City. The Sanitation Dept. ruined dozens of graves in the Washington Cemetery when they plowed huge piles of snow into the cemetery's grounds. Check out the link:

ARTICLE ON CEMETERY DESTRUCTION - CLICK HERE

Yes, but at least their inability to tend to garbage pickup saved someone's life. A man tried to kill himself by jumping from his 10th story window, and his fall was broken by the huge piles of trash at the curb.

Man Saved By Garbage

Re: Let it snow - 01/09/11 09:52 PM

Here we go again....... Tuesday into Wednesday should get pretty hairy around here.

Geoff, you gonna buy a snowblower tomorrow?

Re: Let it snow - 01/09/11 10:34 PM

How much snow is expected?

Re: Let it snow - 01/10/11 09:35 PM

Here we go again....... Tuesday into Wednesday should get pretty hairy around here.

Pfft, just calling for 6-10" here whistle

Re: Let it snow - 01/10/11 09:51 PM

Pfft, just calling for 6-10" here whistle

OK, Jersey, take it to the bank.... you'll be getting a foot (because Geoff refuses to buy a snowblower).

FWIW: (hopefully not getting too nerdish): I'm almost 60 years old. For my first fifty years of life there was ONE 20 inch snowstorm in NYC. Just this past decade (the 2000s) there have been four more 20 inch storms. eek

Re: Let it snow - 01/10/11 10:17 PM

I may stop by Home Depot and see what they have (if anything, at this point), but I'm not blowing hundreds of dollars on one. Maybe I'll get one of those $99 snow "brooms" that just shoots the snow onto your neighbors' property grin

Re: Let it snow - 01/10/11 10:49 PM

I always hated the damage (rust) the snow would do to your car, or was it the salt they used to get rid of the ice? It's been a while. tongue Don't miss it!!!

TIS

Re: Let it snow - 01/10/11 10:56 PM

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM TUESDAY TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM TUESDAY TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...NEW YORK CITY...LONG ISLAND AND NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY.

* HAZARDS...SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...7 TO 14 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. HIGHEST AMOUNTS ACROSS LONG ISLAND.

* WINDS...GUSTS 25 TO 35 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN 1/4 MILE AT TIMES.

* TIMING...HEAVIEST SNOW OCCURS AFTER MIDNIGHT TUESDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL TUESDAY NIGHT AND THROUGH THE DAY WEDNESDAY.

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

Re: Let it snow - 01/10/11 11:31 PM

Anyone wanna bet that the City will be ready for this storm?

In case you haven't heard, there was a hearing held today to determine why the City didn't respond better to the blizzard two weeks ago. The Deputy Mayor admitted that the City was wrong in its response and especially by not declaring a snow emergency.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Let it snow - 01/10/11 11:32 PM

You mean even the outer boroughs will get plowed? whistle

Re: Let it snow - 01/10/11 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

You mean even the outer boroughs will get plowed? whistle

I'd guarantee it.... you ever see a bulti-billionaire on the rag?

Re: Let it snow - 01/10/11 11:40 PM

.... you ever see a bulti-billionaire on the rag?

Just admitting he was wrong was a HUGE deal for an ago like Bloomie's. I didn't think he had it (humility) in him. I was wrong. I'm sure this storm will be handled better than most.

Re: Let it snow - 01/10/11 11:44 PM

Just admitting he was wrong was a HUGE deal for an ago like Bloomie's. I didn't think he had it (humility) in him. I was wrong.

From what I see, it was the Deputy Mayor who took the heat for Bloomie. The DM said that Bloomberg was out of town at the start of the storm and the reports that were given to the mayor were incomplete and had faulty information.

Re: Let it snow - 01/10/11 11:46 PM

The DM said that Bloomberg was out of town at the start of the storm and the reports that were given to the mayor were incomplete and had faulty information.

That's the DM's job, to take one for the team lol.

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 01:39 AM

I always hated the damage (rust) the snow would do to your car, or was it the salt they used to get rid of the ice? It's been a while. tongue Don't miss it!!!

TIS

Yeah TIS it's the salt that rusts a car. My Sis in law will not use their new Ford Edge in the winter cuz of the salt. They'll bring it back out in the Spring after a couple of rains.

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 10:31 AM

The DM said that Bloomberg was out of town at the start of the storm and the reports that were given to the mayor were incomplete and had faulty information.

That's the DM's job, to take one for the team lol.

And to lie like the weasels they are. mad

One truly despicable thing was how the head of the EMS in Brooklyn was fired because so many ambulances got trapped in the snow and there was a serious backlog of emergency calls. Mayor Scumberg made a scapegoat out of him.

Those ambulances would not have gotten stuck in the snow if the damn streets had been plowed in the first place. And demoting two Sanitation Department supervisors in Brooklyn seems to ignore the fact that this was a city-wide slowdown by the sanitation workers.

When the Sanitation Commisioner - Dougherty or whatever the hell his name is - had the cojones to go on TV and say that, in his opinion, his workers did an "A" job while the people of New York City would have graded them a "C+" (IIRC) only drives home the fact that the sonofabitch should have been the first one fired by our mayor. The fact that this bastard still has a job shows how politics really works in this town.

So, now we're expecting around another foot of snow here in NYC. Dammit.

Time to go out later this morning and get provisions for me and the cat. Odds are that the city's response to the snow will be a little bit better this time around, but I'm not taking any chances.

Signor V.

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 05:55 PM

Look out, east coasters, its coming your way. Snow has been falling in Illinois since 3 a.m. We got about 4 inches already and its still coming down...Good luck!
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 07:49 PM

I gotta say...I don't miss the snow one single bit since moving to southern California. I certainly feel for you guys!

Just this past weekend, my girlfriend and her family went up to Lake Arrowhead to see the snow. They asked if I wanted to go, and I declined in the politest way possible. I left the east coast to get AWAY from the snow!

It's funny...a lot of the friends and acquaintances I have made since moving here tell me quite often how lucky I am to have been able to grow up around snow all the time. I tell them its true...when you're a kid and school gets canceled. It is, however, a different story when you start driving and you have to get back and forth to work through a complete white-out, with ice and slush all over the road. Snow is a novelty for the people over here, and they love going up to the mountains and ski resorts to enjoy it. But after living in an area where it snowed all the time during the winter, I think I've had enough of the white stuff to last me a lifetime, thank you very much lol

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: XDCX
I gotta say...I don't miss the snow one single bit since moving to southern California. I certainly feel for you guys!

You should count your lucky stars you weren't in your old area last winter.... they had TONS of snow.

I'm looking at 18 inches by tomorrow at this time. I expect I'll be homebound until the weekend. ohwell

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 08:06 PM

[quote=XDCX]I gotta say...I don't miss the snow one single bit since moving to southern California. I certainly feel for you guys!

It's weird hu X? You can totally relate to what they are going through, and sympathize with them remembering those cold/icy days. Yet, it sounds so easy to say "you simply cannot beat the California weather." BUT it's so true. When it's winter back east or in my hometown in the Midwest, I am a whole lot more appreciative of the weather on the West Coast. You really can't top it!! smile

TIS

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 08:14 PM

I'm looking at 18 inches by tomorrow at this time.

uhwhat

How many Viagras do you plan on taking? whistle

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 08:21 PM

uhwhat

Wow! lol

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 08:31 PM

uhwhat

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha lol lol lol

TIS

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 09:06 PM

We had to go to the Col's job in WV to pick up his truck we left there this morning cuz I had to pick him up yesterday to take him to the er.

Right after we got home from picking up the truck and going to Walmart to get his perscriptions the white stuff started falling. We are suppose to get 2-4 tonight and another 1-2 tomorrow. You guys be careful.

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 09:21 PM

Weather Channel site says 6-10" but the Weather Channel app says 4-6" ... guess they don't really know.

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 09:38 PM

Just one, but thanks for asking.

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 09:40 PM

Weather Channel site says 6-10" but the Weather Channel app says 4-6" ... guess they don't really know.

Considering that you just bought a snow remover, you'll probably get one inch.

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 10:26 PM

you'll probably get one inch.

Then maybe you should give him some of those viagras!

Seriously though, I hear that about 14" OF SNOW will fall in my area, about 12" OF SNOWFALL in South Jersey and that about 18" OF SNOW will fall out on Long Island.

So I guess it's safe to say that we will be getting between 12" and 18" OF SNOW.

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 10:34 PM

My sympathies to the NY contingent. At 5:30 pm there is a light rain in South Jersey. When I came home there was a patch of blue in the sunset.

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
...a patch of blue.

Excellent movie MC! wink
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Let it snow - 01/11/11 10:51 PM

The cool thing about my apartment is that I can look out my bedroom window and see the snow in the mountains. So while I am enjoying the mid-60s down here, I can look at the snow from a safe distance.

I don't know what I would do if I had 12-18" of snow to look forward to. Hopefully you'll only get half of that. Or less! smile

Re: Let it snow - 01/12/11 03:31 AM

It's snowing like MAD. I can't believe how much has already accumulated.

Re: Let it snow - 01/12/11 01:15 PM

I got 2". I guess I should be satisfied. For some reason I'm not.

Re: Let it snow - 01/12/11 04:14 PM

I got 2". I guess I should be satisfied. For some reason I'm not.

I think my wife hacked BethE's account and posted this! rolleyes wink

Re: Let it snow - 01/12/11 06:58 PM

We got a couple in. No school today. Which I think they should've went cuz they are only allowed 3 snow days this year. Now they only have 1 day left. Former dumb ass Gov. Strickland said this year 3 days, next year no days. I don't understand why he did that.

Re: Let it snow - 01/12/11 08:58 PM

Well, the Power Shovel works pretty well, and the snow was pretty wet and heavy. It's still manual labor, though, but it does save a lot of time and backache. It's a bit tricky to aim the snow, though, since it shoots it right in front of you. And there's a 100-foot extension chord to avoid, but I'm glad I got it. However, if $1000 fell out of the sky I'd probably get a full-sized self-propelled one. wink

Re: Let it snow - 01/12/11 09:26 PM

However, if $1000 fell out of the sky I'd probably get a full-sized self-propelled one.

A REAL don gets one that falls off the back of a truck.

On the positive side.... I now pronounce the snow season over (since Geoff bought a power snow remover).

Re: Let it snow - 01/12/11 09:51 PM

On the positive side.... I now pronounce the snow season over (since Geoff bought a power snow remover).

From your mouth to God's ear. On the news the other night, the meteorologist said that we usually get around 21.5" of snow all winter. This storm will put us several inches over that - and it hasn't even been winter for a month yet!

Re: Let it snow - 01/12/11 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
...a patch of blue.

Excellent movie MC! wink

Yes it is, and I'd love to have a real patch of blue sky and 75 degrees. We escaped with 2" of crusty snow.

Re: Let it snow - 01/13/11 02:50 AM

Well, the Power Shovel works pretty well, and the snow was pretty wet and heavy. It's still manual labor, though, but it does save a lot of time and backache. It's a bit tricky to aim the snow, though, since it shoots it right in front of you. And there's a 100-foot extension chord to avoid, but I'm glad I got it. However, if $1000 fell out of the sky I'd probably get a full-sized self-propelled one. wink

Is that gonna work with a foot or more of snow?

Re: Let it snow - 01/13/11 05:33 AM

Is that gonna work with a foot or more of snow?

What you do it shave 6" off the top first, then work your way down. Easier than lifting all the snow, that's for sure. But it's still a workout.

Re: Let it snow - 01/13/11 05:41 AM

This storm was the exact opposite of the last storm in terms of response by the NYC DOS. My street was completely clear when I woke up this morning.

Re: Let it snow - 01/13/11 06:42 AM

A-holes... no excuse to call out! wink
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET