Home

GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days.

Posted By: Fame

GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/27/10 10:40 PM

Please read this thread from start to finish, and then reply if you give a damn: (and welcome to all the oldtimers who got my PM - but please save us the "Yooohoo I'm back" and read this thread and respond to it, if you still want to enjoy this place)

It's no secret this forum is dying. I've always been on and off and haven't posted much lately, but for years it was always a place full of life and activity to come back to. When JG said a couple months ago that he'll be here to see this forum's funeral, he wasn't joking. And I'm posting this thread because I want to stop it from happening. And I need your help.

We're almost in October, and the last 10 threads on this section's first page are from August (in other sections they even go back to June or May). Yeah there will always be a few guys around to say something in the weather or "random post" threads, and always a couple of threads in the GF section, and a couple of news related threads....but overall this isn't even fifth of what used to be around here. And it will only be less and less from now on....unless we stop it.

I know that with a monster like Facebook, message boards are not what they used to be, but we still got enough people visiting this place everyday. And Facebook is hardly the place for great thread-discussions. It's more about posting a funny status, or uploading pics or commenting on such pics for most people. So this place is still worth saving.

The solution is simple: we need to talk. We need new threads. It is a must. We can't go on and on with just "random obama", "random postin", "news from the neck" and "how's the weather" threads. And EVERYONE needs to post new threads. If we sit around waiting for someone else to start discussions, then nothing will change. There will be less and less threads, and as a result less and less members wishing to even bother and visit this place, because there's nothing new to look at.

All I'm saying is let's try and kick some life. Let's take action. I ask each and every one of us to try and post 2 new threads every week. 1 in "general discussion" and 1 in another section of your choosing.

There's plenty to talk about, almost anything you want, especially in this section when anything goes. You don't have to write a term paper assignment to start a discussion, just talk about something you like or that interests you and ask the others about it. Trust me, the most interesting discussions often come out of the most basic topics. You just got to open the gate and all the goods will flow in.

I'm not saying to start a thread just to say : "I like Disney World, let's talk about Disney World" but instead try and give more details, ask others, try and make it interesting, which rides you liked the most, what you didn't like, compare it to Disneyland if you've been there as well, etc. All I'm saying is pick a topic and go from there. Let's make it 2 threads per person each week, and see if my plan is working.

The real problem around here, is that we don't even bother to post new threads, except for news items, when someone decides to copy and paste a story from yahoo or msn and we take it from there. It's better than nothing, but it's not enough.
The movie "Avatar" came out a few months ago. It's already part of cinema history whether you liked it or not, and despite the fact that most members here are lovers of cinema, noone started a thread to discuss this movie, and I think it deserves its own thread. And what about the NBA finals? Lakers vs. Celtics, no less. And yet not a single thread, despite the fact that 5 or 6 guys I know around here would've posted in such thread for sure, if only someone started it. And it's my fault too, for being so lazy.

And now, for those of you who think I'm crossing the lines, and that my choice of action is wrong, then let me tell you that the alternative of keeping things the way they are is much worse. I'm not worried about future useless threads, because I know that most members here have great minds, and they only need the opportunity to show it. And even if there will be a few useless threads here and there (alongside the good ones), then it's still better than the current situation.

And there will be no police. I'm not gonna chase after people saying stuff like "hey you didn't post your threads this week" (tho it might be fun) but no, you don't do this for me, you do this for you and everyone else, so just post new threads and play along with my plan, and I'm sure we'll all enjoy the result.

That's my offer. I've responded to old PM's I sent a while ago to bring back the oldtimers, and I gave them a link to this thread, because I want them to read this as well.

Anyone here wishing to join my plan and (try to) post a couple of threads every week? please post to say if you're in. Add your name to this list (again, no police or anything; it's totally up to you if you post or not, but please add your name to encourage the other members to try it out. Here's the list thus far:

Fame
Posted By: olivant

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/27/10 11:14 PM

I for one would like to see threads that are specific to topics we usually post in the random thread such as Crime or 2010 Congressional Elections. I guess I could start them, but I figure that many members like posting comments in a general type thread.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/27/10 11:28 PM

That's the problem with these type of general threads. They are good to maintain everyday chat, but a lot of interesting topics get lost there very quickly because you simply move on to the next story. And where does it stop really? will we have "general music thread" soon, and later "general general thread" where we only have one thread to discuss everything, because why bother and open new threads? I hate to say it, but despite the "whoring" theme, these threads are not as sexy as they used to be.

We need to refresh. I think you should feel free to start discussions on whatever interests you. As long as you're not attacking any members, I don't see how any of your threads will be harmful.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 12:40 AM

I know I'm not on here like I use to be. It will be a damn shame if this site dies out. This is a great place to meet people and make friends. I really miss not having the BB Weekends anymore. I would look forward to those weekends where I can get away and see the great people from the BB and intoduce my family to you guys.

We need to bring back the people who left. Don Cardi, Don Smitty etc.

Thanks Fame for bringing this up. LETS MAKE THE BB AS FUN AS IT USE TO BE!!!!!!!!

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 12:50 AM

You must keep in mind that there is a certain economy associated with general topic type threads. They allow a member to range over a number of topics without having to surf from one thread to another. We already have so many threads that it approaches a labor to cover even just severalof them. I think we could afford a few more grouping type threads such as the ones I suggested above.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 01:41 AM

Hey Fame, how are you doing?

I must admit there are times that I miss topics of interest to me that I'll see later in the "Random" thread or sometimes "News in your area" thread. Some would have warranted, I think, their own thread. By that I mean, topics that I think many of us would reply to.

I'm open to anything legal. grin

TIS
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 05:25 AM

I must congratulate Fame on being the BB's PR department. wink Unfortunately, though, Fame, many of your PMs to the old timers didn't reach them as their email addresses are no longer valid (I know this because I get all the returned email errors whistle ). I don't know how many you sent out, but at least 13 were no longer valid.

You're right, though. Even as the forum format slowly dies out to more immediate social interactive sites, there is still value here, and I'm glad you're (again) reminding us of that!

I'll address this more later....
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 08:07 AM

Ciao a tutti!
even if I am not writing since a long long time, the BBs still have a special place in my heart. Life changes and things change. Most of all, time is never enogh. But please believe my affection for this place will never change. This place is special. You, Geoff, are special. Many BBs are special. So, Fame, count me in. I'm here.

...and I have great news....there's a good possibility I'll come visit NYC in april 2012. It's a dream come true. It's something I've been waiting for so long. I know it's a long long time to go, but to me it just makes it even more special. Can't tell you how much excited I am....:-) I don't need to tell you I'll be more than happy to meet all the people I can!!! What about a BB's dinner??? Wouldn't it be great???? :-)

Love as ever,
your Italian friend
Lavi
Posted By: goodfellaoggie

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 08:57 AM

Thanks for the PM Fame. Gangster BB is still bookmarked on my browser. smile but i admit i only visit the site once i a while and not posting unlike before that this is part of our everyday lives. its sad that the forum is dying. frown

hoping old timers will come back to keep the ball rolling.

keep'em coming!
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 01:00 PM

I don't get here as much as i would like but i still love it. Who else would come bottom of all the Fantasy leagues if i wasn't here tongue

Good idea though Fame!
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 01:31 PM

While it's a gallant effort on Fame's part I am not sure how much one can rely on 'Old Timers' to keep the Board fresh & active. Especially when asking for two new threads per week. I have had several 'old timers' ... one of them a moderator, no less... tell me in PMs (or elsewhere) that they rarely even visit the BB anymore because it's not 'the same' as it used to be. Plus I agree w/ olivant about just too many threads/forums.

What you mostly have here is people who reply to threads that are already going. I have rarely, started a thread on my own in the 8 years as a member. But when I have, it's because of a Subject/Movie/TV show/GF Topic that interests me, not because I'm looking to come up with a topic of the week.

That said, will check in more regularly & do what I can to keep the momentum going on threads worth commenting on.

Apple
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 01:54 PM

The idea of mandating so many new threads a weeek probably won't happen. IMHO this is the best board on the internet, but with Facebook and all that goes with it, the air is being sucked out of these boards.

There are also other reasons. First, despite the greatness of the Godfather movies, there is only so much that can be said about them. I have tried to approach some new threads in that section, but it is getting hard to come up with anything original. If there is some hole in a story, the responses will predictibly be:
a) it was covered in the novel this way....
b) some suggestion will be made it was not a hole in the story and
c) it hows FFC and Puzo were sloppy.

How many ways can we say Michael was a bad guy, or discuss whether Fredo should have been killed, or that FFC's daughter was not a good actress, or that III was not as good as I and II?

In the political threads, we all pretty much know where the reulars stand on the political spectrum from right to left, and whatever the issue, the answers from those who post are predictable.

In sports, there's a tilt toward New York teams because the majority of the members come from that area. Other than threads about playoff teams, I do not see a "Go Cincinnati Reds" thread going anyplace.

If the board is revived, great. If it dies it dies, and we can all say we had a great run.

Either way it will happen naturally, and no amount of mandated posting will change it.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 02:03 PM

Well Apple, you've got a good heart, but by just replying to existing threads, then nothing much will change around here, and people will not bother to come back, and those that are still visiting will be less and less in months to come.

I dont think there are many threads going on right now, I think you mean sections. JG can cut down half the sections we have on here, but that wont solve the problem.

And yeah Apple, I'm not naive. I knew hardly anyone would agree to post 2 threads per week, but it's better to try then not try at all. At least I got everyone's attention, from now on the cards are on the table. When you meet someone in real life you come up with topics to discuss, be it around the table when you're having dinner or on the bus with someone you know. You come up with topics, because you want to talk and not sit in silence. Here in the web world, you can simply log out and no one will know you were here, so it's easy to say that you're not here to post a weekly topic, but if everyone will wait 8 years to post a thread, then we might as well say goodbye right now. Don't get me wrong, it's great that you want to be active, but I think the keyword is 'new'.

Olivant: you're a good man, but I think those threads you suggest will only make things even worse. One of the finest threads we had here in the last six months was the Polanski thread. That thread was a FASCINATING read, a great discussion and great posts from several members. How would a thread like that be possible in the future you have in mind? instead of posting a thread to discuss it, then it will be posted in a general thread, and within 5 minutes it will be replaced by Lindsay Lohan going to jail or Paris Hilton drunk driving. So think about it.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Fame
... At least I got everyone's attention, from now on the cards are on the table. When you meet someone in real life you come up with topics to discuss, be it around the table when you're having dinner or on the bus with someone you know. You come up with topics, because you want to talk and not sit in silence.

Yes, you got everyone's attention, for now and granted, for a good reason. But good luck keeping the momentum going.

When you are with someone in person, you either make conversation or sit there in silence. Most people will naturally talk especially w/ people they know. The incentive to keep internet forums going is substantially less, because really you are looking at a computer screen. While not waiting '8 years' to post a thread, one will only post a topic that they find interesting and hope that others will respond. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. To post 2 threads (or even 1) per week just for the sake of posting probably wouldn't help in fact it may muck up the Board even more.

... One of the finest threads we had here in the last six months was the Polanski thread. That thread was a FASCINATING read, a great discussion and great posts from several members.

Yes, that WAS a good thread. It was based upon a current event. Had Polanski not been taken into custody it would not have been initiated. The NYC Mosque thread was/is another good one. Started because of a current event in the news.

I can think of MANY fascinating, excellent threads that began because of a political season, news story, whatever. But they just aren't going to emerge every day, or even every week. Several times a year is the best to hope for, life is just like that.

The useless Lohan/Hilton type threads are what come in between the big important stuff. (Although Lohan borders on serious because you are really watching a beautiful, talented young woman slowly destroy herself.)

To ask members to post new subjects JUST for the sake of posting to keep this forum alive is probably asking a bit much. I can see it just by the responses here from various 'old tiimers'. But go for it, again it is a good and worthy cause. We'll see what happens.

Things have their life cycles and while the BB may not be what if USED to be due to personalities, other venues, etc...I am sure it'll be around for a while.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
I have had several 'old timers' ... one of them a moderator, no less... tell me in PMs (or elsewhere) that they rarely even visit the BB anymore because it's not 'the same' as it used to be.

What changed the BB that people rarely visit cuz it's not 'the same' as it use to be?
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 06:11 PM

Fame, I applaud your effort. Although I generally don't start threads, I do peek in here pretty much on a daily basis. I usually post, but only if I feel I can add something. I would rather have quality over quantity, and that's not just with myself, but the others as well.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 06:41 PM

Speaking only for myself, I had been away from the boards due to computer problems, that have only very recently been (mysteriously) healed.

I have been checking in a bit more lately - now that I'm not totally shackled to my local public library - and I'm always interested in reading a thread that....well, interests me.

I admit I have not started a lot of threads, but that's just me, I guess...

I, too, certainly miss the "old days" but I think everything in this life goes through a kind of "natural evolution" and perhaps this is what has happened to the BB.

I most certainly would not like to see this forum totally die off. I think it would be a shame.

But, when I do feel I have something worthwhile to say, I will say it. (Like Mr. Ed the talking horse. )

Signor V.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/28/10 11:28 PM

Well Mig, I think what changed the forum is that most of the teenagers are gone. There were many of them a few years ago, so there was a vivid mix of youngsters and adults (one of the reason this forum is such a special place, age was never an issue) but now that school is over etc, I guess they are too busy to come here, or they found new hobbies, and yeah that's life. Things are more stable with adults - look at all the members who posted in this thread and you'll see that they're all over 30, I think.

I don't think there will be many new members in the future as well. The Godfather movies will always be popular and people will always google for it and may find this place....but yeah, forums are not what they used to be.

I tried to talk about it and see if we can find a solution. The weekly threads for sure is not a nice option, but I just couldn't think of anything else. It's not just quantity I'm after, SB. 'quality over quantity' is a nice slogan, but it's not black and white. Maybe I'm not as high-minded and pure as one should be, and I guess the idealists would eat me for breakfast for suggesting the weekly threads, but I'd rather be low and base, and dare I say practical, because the quantity in this specific forum usually means quality as well. Because the people here are quality, and that's what counts. I can honestly say that I've learned a lot from many posts in this forum, and saw a lot of 'basic' threads turn into something really wonderful. So that's why I'm not afraid of it, and I believe such threads will do nothing but good in the end. I thought a little "boost" might make a difference, even for just a few weeks, but I should respect what everyone said in here and just take it easy, so no more speeches from me on that issue grin

Thanx everyone for taking the time to read and respond, and thank you for all the kind words smile
Posted By: Joolsie Cappucetti

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/29/10 11:39 AM

Hi all,

I just wanted to say thanks to Fame for getting me back here, I haven't been in quite a while and it's purely because of getting a crazy job in the interim that has taken up pretty much my whole life... However it is really lovely to pop back in and to see so many familiar 'faces' smile

I appreciate the quality over quantity argument, and certainly there's no point posting just for the sake of it, but I definitely agree that forums need nurturing and a bit of gentle encouragement from time to time. Maybe even if people think that it needs to be more organic than '2 new threads a week', just encouraging us all to keep it in mind might liven things up a bit and result in more regular/more engaging posting? (I hasten to add that I don't mean the posting has been anything less than engaging, I'm just saying one can never be too interesting smile )

Either way, kudos to Fame for being so passionate about the forum, and making the effort to get in touch with those members who had not been here in a while - I think that's the sort of thing that will keep this board alive smile and it's a credit to the community that people feel so fondly and think so highly of it.

Best wishes to you all,

Joolsie x

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/29/10 04:21 PM

Joolsie, if you want to see quality over quantity, you should look at the mirror. I chose to send the PM to you as well, because I rememberd you even tho you've "only" made 170 posts. I remember you more than people with thousands of posts because every one of your posts was top quality.

Oggie was easy to write to - such a friendly fella who always looks you in the eye. It's a real shame he's not around.

And Lavinia, well all the guys here are in love with her!

Best of luck to all of you, whether you stay or not! smile

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/29/10 04:46 PM

Fame, you're a good guy!!! wink I think just starting this thread is a good thing. I vaguely remember Joolsie, but how nice that he/she stopped in. People are thinking about it anyway.

As for me, I'm fairly easygoing and open to new threads. To me this site is all about fun and leisure with old friend and it's great along the way to meet new friends.

TIS

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/29/10 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Fame, you're a good guy!!!

TIS

You haven't seen my rap sheet, have you? grin
Posted By: Saladbar

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/29/10 06:14 PM

You had me until you said "old" timers. I ain't old yet.

Oh who am I kidding, I'm old.

Sorry, all the new stuff on the web is SO SHINY.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/30/10 05:27 AM

Let a 25 year old jump in here...

I've posted new threads lately in TV/Movies, but of the 2, I have 1 reply. Discussion is slow these days or about things I have no interest in.

I used to come here every day and now it's mostly just for the fantasy football thread.

And for say Boardwalk Empire's thread, there's not a whole lot of analysis or discussion going on about a current show. Just news tidbits mostly. On another forum I visit there's so much more depth with the topics.

It seems like everyone got old and moved to Florida.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/01/10 09:55 PM

Good job Fame. I applaud your efforts. I tend to check on the board a few times a week, great place to be..

I love reading the GF discussion section but the topics are just to in depth for me to contribute so i just stick to reading than posting in that section.. I also tend to post in the Mafia Books section of the true crime part and the odd section in GD,,It would be a great shame to see this board no longer be..

smile
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/06/10 07:05 PM

It took a kick in the pants from Fame to get me back on. For a while I was unable to get on at work - at least that is my excuse.
Posted By: Ice

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/08/10 05:25 PM

It would be nice to get "Our Gang" back together whistle

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/09/10 03:19 AM

I agree with you.
Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/09/10 06:21 AM

Kudos on your passionate effort here, Fame!! I've thought often about how things have slowed down and people have seemingly moved away, and it's a shame. Can't really help that people's lives change, but this is still a place special to many of us - those of us who are here or who come back can certainly make it enjoyable through our friendships and our conversations.

I probably should contribute more to "deep" discussions and inspire some new topics, but I do enjoy reading what others have to say and chatting about various subjects with everyone...whenever school isn't tearing me down with assignments and lack of sleep! lol

But see, the thing is, we have exactly 6,000 threads in Gen. Discussion, so...I really can't bring myself to start a new one. wink

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/09/10 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: ginaitaliangirl
But see, the thing is, we have exactly 6,000 threads in Gen. Discussion, so...I really can't bring myself to start a new one. wink

You are so OCD, StatWoman! lol

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/13/10 01:23 PM

You know there is trouble brewing when you open the boards and for a week the lead post on the Godfather movie site is the child molestation subject. Bad enough it sits there, but worse, it was a deleted scene.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 11/12/10 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Joolsie Cappucetti
Hi all,

I just wanted to say thanks to Fame for getting me back here, I haven't been in quite a while and it's purely because of getting a crazy job in the interim that has taken up pretty much my whole life... However it is really lovely to pop back in and to see so many familiar 'faces' smile
Does anyone have any way of getting in touch with Joolsie other than a PM?

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 11/14/10 10:14 PM

Well she does get an email notification when you PM her, so I suppose you can just PM her and ask for her mail. If you've already done that, and she didn't respond, and that's why you're asking here - then I guess either the email ended up in her spam folder somehow....or she's too busy to write back or something...but I'm pretty sure she gets an email if you PM her - I think that was the case when I sent her the PM 2 months ago.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 11/14/10 10:37 PM

I want to say thank you to all those members who took this thread to heart and posted new threads during the last couple of months, even tho they weren't used to do so before. I haven't seen one thread of spam from these members, and the forum does seem to be a bit more lively.

You guys rock.
Posted By: Mark

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 11/14/10 11:05 PM

You're a good guy, Fame. I enjoy reading your thoughtful posts. You seem to keep the blood pumping in a lot of threads and encourage feedback. A true pleasure. You rock.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 11/14/10 11:54 PM

Yea what Mark said.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 11/15/10 12:37 AM

You guys rock.
I second this, and also put it back to you.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 11/15/10 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark
You're a good guy, Fame.

I blame the parents grin

Thanx a lot Mark, Mig and Capo - the feeling is mutual.

Keep rockin'.
Posted By: Snake

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/10/11 03:33 AM

Fame, et. al.,
I suppose I quit posting/visiting due to mostly my own immaturity. I got to where I actively sought out hot potato topics (like politics and theology), would get into the most pointless flame wars, get all mad, and thus vow never to visit again. I.e., "play MY way or I'll take my ball and go home!" So stupid. As I view now how ALL of the internet has degenerated and impersonalized everything just since those days, it disheartens me. Just because one can say anything anonymously doesn't mean he SHOULD, but such etiquette and scruples have gone out the window in today's Web. That still turns me off, and it frightens me when I think on what type of future generations that many (but not ALL) in THIS generation is spawning with such impersonal, cold-hearted rhetoric as I see in many blogs. J Geoff & SC have done their best at curtailing that behavior here and have done a good job. But they must truly feel it's a losing battle. I used to LOVE this site, but it became so inundated with flame throwers who had rather indulge in personal attacks rather than sensible dialogue and/or debate (me included at times), I got to where I found myself just getting mad whenever I logged in. Finally, I concluded it (and other sites I once loved) was a huge waste of time, did not do a thing for me except make me angry and disgusted, and thus dropped it like the proverbial bad habit.

Since "those days" (seems a century ago now), I've gone through a lot personally which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. For starters, my 21 year marriage ended, the kids are grown and gone, and there were times I prayed for the sweet hand of Death. Well, all that's probably TMI for y'all, but you get the idea. Plus, I'm discovering how age can mellow you considerably. Things you thought were so critical and imperative suddenly don't look so critical and imperative any more. Your views change, your priorities change...YOU change. I used to believe people don't change, and I guess some don't. But I know for a fact that SOME do. Life inevitably changes some people. Well, sorry to start waxing philosophically, but I guess I'm doing more of that, too, these days! Anyway, I visited The Godfather site recently looking for a desktop wallpaper actually. And I saw the "Forums" link, and thought, "Why not?" I just wanted to see who else was still around. To my surprise, a lot of my old comrades are still here! Forgive me for not naming names, but I know I'd overlook someone and wouldn't want to tick anybody off...not on this board!! LOL! But it was pleasing to see so many familiar "faces" still around. I DO remember you, Fame, and always enjoyed your posts. I think you deserve kudos for posting this thread, and it says a lot about your integrity and honesty. I'll try myself to visit more. But I do want to steer clear of the hot potatoes! ;-)

Snake

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/10/11 03:43 AM

I'm sorry to hear about you and your wife, Snake. I'm sure it's been very hard for all involved. I hope that life gets a bit sunnier for you, and real soon.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/10/11 03:49 AM

That's sweet of you, SB. It was all for the best, though. It's awfully good to "see" you again! :-)

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/10/11 03:55 AM

Hey Snake, welcome back! smile It's been a long time.

First of all I am so very sorry about the end of your marriage. Snake, it's been a long time, but I too have been there. Although everyone's circumstances are different, I understand that void you feel afterward, especially when the kids are grown and on their own. It does get better. As a matter of fact, it's actually kind of nice answering only to yourself. wink Hang in there.

As far as the BB, I think we probably all understand how you feel . Yes, things can get tense and trouble comes and goes and sometimes stays around for a while, lol but yea, the best thing to do his ignore or hold back. Sort of like quitting smoking.....you get the urge to fire up, but you hold back. smile

Anyway, welcome back and don't be a stranger. I remember you as always being gentlemanly.

TIS

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/10/11 04:12 AM

God bless you, TIS! "Gentlemanly?" Are you sure you're not confusing me with a different Snake? :-D
But I do recall your always being so optimistic and encouraging. So glad you're still on the BB!

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/10/11 06:10 AM

Good to see you, and thanks for that post, Snake! The mature core here appreciate it, and, the immature core will point out my use of the words "immature core" to expose themselves. lol

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/10/11 11:42 AM

Hey Snake! I always remember you being the first to reply to a topic I made way back when (I still manually signed all posts "Mick", *blush*) asking if "Yank" was a pejorative term. You said you were proud to be called a "Yank".

Since then, there've been a lot of yanks one way and the other, and that may or may not be rhyming slang.

Good to see you.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/10/11 01:15 PM

Good to "see" you fellas, too, Capo & J Geoff! Definitely remember you, Brother "Mick!" Yeah, the Yank badge doesn't mean quite the same these days! ;-) And Mr. Geoff, our godfather & referee! Mucho respecto! I'll always be grateful for your ridding us of the dreadful "Mistersixer"! I know you still remember that poster, the epitome of immaturity! :-D
Posted By: Beth E

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/10/11 01:32 PM

Hey, Snake. Glad you made a return appearance. So sorry to hear about your personal troubles. For some, this place can be a refuge to vent and spill your guts so to speak. Hopefully you'll feel like this is "home" again. I hope things look up for you real soon.

You're still in Tennessee? I have 2 nieces who moved there about 1 1/2 year ago. My one niece who has 3 kids lives in Milan. Her sister teaches at the Goddard School in Nashville and lives in Brentwood. I visited my niece in Milan in September. Talk about the boonies. Her neighbors are cows. haha. I hope to go there again in May when my fav group BonJovi plays there in Memphis.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/10/11 02:40 PM

Welcome back snake, and I am really sory to hear of all the personal turnoil you went through. Stay with it on the boards. Things have become more civil IMHO, and most people can reasonably disagree on issues without making personal attacks (of course there are always a few rotten apples).

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/10/11 06:44 PM

Hey there, Snake!! Sorry to hear about your personal problems and dismay w/ the BB. I stayed away for quite a while too (tough at first but after a while you don't even think about it anymore)...until Fame beckoned many back with this very thread!

Hopefully your re-emergence will contribute to the quality level being returned back to its former glory!!

Best,
Apple

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/11/11 10:23 AM

Beth, DonT, and the Apple of my Aye! ;-) Yet a few more of my old favs! Soooo glad y'all are still here, too! Thanks for the kind words and the pat on the back. You're all gems!

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/11/11 12:53 PM

Let me join the others and welcome you back to the BB family Snake. Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/11/11 06:22 PM

Thanks, and same here on the reading, Mignon! cool
Posted By: DonColletti

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/18/11 10:53 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

After reading, and subsequently commenting, on J Geoff's post, I figured it was a good time to check out what is going on. I have probably been gone longer than most, coming around every couple years or so. Can't explain why? College and other life's adventures get in the way. I remember leaving the first time to come back to a lot more discussions of politics and just flaming (believe I'm talking about the same thing Snake had a problem with, btw...Welcome back sir!). I guess this is the proper section to talk about politics, but do people really like talking about that? Something we are constantly bombarded with 24/7? I am happy now studying in Spain (Madrid, and yes...it's awesome!) and not having to listen to every little thing that goes on. I understand it is important, it's probably one of the most important, but why come onto this board to talk about it?

I understand I'm probably in the minority in this idea (maybe it has changed??? haven't really looked all over), but I felt like it was good that I brought it up. It's probably something that has kept me away, since I do not care to comment on these things.

Why am I even posting this? Not sure. I feel like so many years ago, when I was active, I felt so connected to you guys. And after reading this post, I feel more inclined to be connected once more. It would be a crime to let this site go down the drain. Without a doubt it is the best place to go for anything about The Godfather. It always has been, and it always will be.
Posted By: Ice

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/19/11 01:47 AM

Welcome back, Colletti and Snakester. Always nice when the old-timers come around.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/22/11 06:28 PM

TY, Ice! And WB, DonColletti!
Posted By: Debz

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 03/16/11 08:21 PM

I just came accross the invite to check this out - I can't even remember why I stopped dropping by...life I guess!

Hope everyone is doing good and keeping outta trouble smile but then again thats no fun wink

So much has changed for me since I was last on...graduation, moving out, new job - followed swiftly by another new job!! Lotsa changes! Watched The Soprano's and Goodfellas another 'couple' of times though..somethings never change grin

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 03/16/11 08:28 PM

Hey Debz,

Thanks for checking in. wink Yes, life does provide us with many changes as we move on. Sounds like you are doing well. What kind of work do you do?

Good luck to you

TIS
Posted By: Debz

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 03/16/11 08:34 PM

Hello TIS - how are things with you?

Well I did a few months as a Recruitment Consultant...HATED IT! Right now I am working as an Assistant Secretary for the R & A in St Andrews (the golf club), its going well, decent pay so can't complain! Pays the bills! Not really related to my degree...but I like the people aspect so thats good smile
Posted By: Partagas

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 04/25/11 04:25 AM

My family and I have been pondering some big life decisions the last few months. With that said, I accepted a new position with the Starkloff Disability in St Louis, MO. It was a very heart drenching decision to leave the American Stroke Foundation. I will start my new position on May 1, 2011.

My wife and I are St Louis natives. All of our (living)parents still live in St Louis. We left left St Louis in 1990 (after I graduated college) when I started working for the Boy Scouts of America in Topeka, KS. We continued our journey with the BSA to LaCrosse, Wisconsin in 1994. We moved to the Kansas City area in 2000, and I left the BSA in 2004 to start with the American Diabetes Association. Then in 2007 I moved over to the American Stroke Foundation.

We are moving to be closer to our parents. Sadly, some of you may know, my wife's father passed away from a heart attack almost a year ago. Both of my parents retired from their careers this past December 31,2010. My mother-in-law is also retired. They are relatively young and we want to be near our parents to enjoy life with them.

Believe me - it was very heart wrenching decision to leave the American Stroke Foundation. There will always be a special place in my heart for ASF. I assured the Board of Directors that I will only be a phone call away when I leave for advice and guidance. Additionally, I will continue to promote and support (financially) ASF even from afar.

So that is the big news in my life
!
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 04/25/11 04:53 AM

oh good lord I would never have guesed you still hang around here!

how are you doing? well you just said it tongue good luck with the move!

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 04/25/11 05:26 AM

Hey Part!

I'm sure any organization would benefit greatly from your assistance! I can't believe it's been so long since you were with BSA and ADA! Wow, time flies!

Enjoy your parents while you can (and sorry to hear about your father in law!). It's worth it, and it shouldn't bother you. You can always support the causes you believe it, regardless of whether you work for them...
Posted By: Partagas

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 05/12/11 07:47 PM

Of course, I do believe in this organization as well! Good thing as I am the Director of development so I have to go shake down people for contributions.

I do need to sell my house in KC. My wife is staying back until we seel the house. I am staying with my parents. 44 years old and going to live with mom and dad LOL

Wierd I am actually staying in the room I grew up in and the same bed. Actually probably the first person to go in that room since I left at age 20 lol.

Here is the website for my new org: www.starkloff.org

We are getting redy to upload the new site any day now
Posted By: Senza Mama

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 08/09/11 10:50 PM

No big news, still alive, just dropped by to see if any of the old timers (I mean glory days guys) were still around. Don Cardi is gone??...shame..

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 08/09/11 11:13 PM

Hey Senza Mama. I remember you truly from the glory days! smile How are you? Nice to see you checking in. Hope all is well. Oh, and Don Cardi is still here but I think he's keeping pretty busy.

Take care and stop by every now and then.

TIS
Posted By: Frosty

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 12/26/11 06:52 PM

Thank You Fame,

Often times anymore , I enjoy reading the posts from the past. This one popped out at me and Fame and others had some great comments. And how well I can understand. I have been on other boards before. But I admit , I have had the same thoughts WHY can't they keep Rocking and Rolling ? And me being with out much to do anymore , it was very fustratating to me. wink And so I often got carried away. But through kindness, and teaching of SC and the humor of J Geoff, pb, Yogi, Turnbull, MC, Tis, and others. ( You can teach a old dog new tricks). It is a busy world,but this board the best around, with great memebers is just fun getting away from the stuff, cool .

So Fame , thanks and to all the glory days for some are still going, and were still rocking wink cool .

Just Sayen,

Ole Frosty
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 12/26/11 07:15 PM

ole Frosty a good judge of character if you ask me lol

I like him cool

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 12/28/11 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
ole Frosty a good judge of character if you ask me lol

I like him cool
Thanks Yogi, I know that comes from the heart and a sound mind. wink
Posted By: scarfacetm

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 01/14/12 09:12 AM

My reasons for not coming around much was just a lot of personal shit. That, and a lot of the old gang as we're calling them stopped coming around as well, so all the people i normally chatted with just weren't around, but Mr Geoff convinced me to pop back in.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 01/14/12 10:23 PM

Good to have you back mate, hope you stick around..
Posted By: scarfacetm

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 01/14/12 11:18 PM

Well I don't plan to leave, but you never know what comes up.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 01/20/12 05:07 PM

Would people agree that BB has been busier since Fame posted this thread. And it's good to see a couple of old timers who didn't post for a while come back and seem to be here to stay..

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 01/30/12 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Would people agree that BB has been busier since Fame posted this thread. And it's good to see a couple of old timers who didn't post for a while come back and seem to be here to stay..
Nope , check dates and times wink !

Fame had a great post hare ! But what the hell it takes is member's involvement of all ! Ya wanna keep this board rocken then talk.

Go get a fucken decent hair cut !

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 01/31/12 04:03 AM

Fame , I am with ya !

But it takes some talken , playen, fighten, fucken !

To make a board and not setten around like ole fucken ladies in a tea parler ! Look at this fucken country eek people wanna place to relax , have a good time , play , learn good history and such they don't wanna hear about shit like in Washington and the rest of this country that some of us have fought , died for. Get the Fuck over it ! And keep on fighting ! For our kids and grandkids !

Thanks for the time ! It is what it is ! Terrible thing when ya got control of your mind ! cool Just sayen ! Life Is What It Is ! Make the Fucken Best out of it !

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 01/31/12 04:38 AM

C'mon, settle down w/ the language please Frosty...
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/04/13 07:47 PM

Howdy,

I, somehow, am alive.

The Doc

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/04/13 08:00 PM

Good too see that your still alive..

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/04/13 09:46 PM

Hey, Doc! Stick around, won't you?
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/05/13 09:27 AM

Hey! It's been a while. Good to see you here again. smile

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/05/13 01:32 PM

The doctor is in!

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/05/13 03:46 PM

I remember The Doc. Wow, it's been ages. Welcome back!!! smile Hope you stick around.

You guys remember the days when we'd have congrats posts for what? Every 1000th post? Then we got so big (bigger than U.S. Steel)that it became hard to keep track of everyone's post. Not to mention welcome threads we'd start, or birthday threads, which we still do from time to time. I remember when I joined, everyone seemed so warm/friendly and made me feel comfortable right away. smile

Tho I must admit, I use to go to the GF threads regularly, but never go there much anymore. frown

TIS

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/05/13 08:16 PM

Its been years since i saw a post congratulating a member on the number of posts they have, the good old days..
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/05/13 10:14 PM

I saw one a few months back. Pretty sure it was for Turnbull.
Posted By: Camarel

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/06/13 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1

I remember you made one congratulating yourself Nicky. lol
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/06/13 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Camarel
Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1

I remember you made one congratulating yourself Nicky. lol

lol

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/10/13 05:50 PM

I might be wrong but, I think the BB changed when Plaw passed away.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/10/13 05:55 PM

Not that PLaw's loss wasn't felt and his presence missed, but I think the change is much more recent than that. IMHO

smile

TIS

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/10/13 08:03 PM

Definitely TIS to many wanna be gangsters on here recently who have watched The Goodfellas too many times..
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/10/13 08:08 PM

Definitely TIS to many wanna be gangsters on here recently who have watched The Goodfellas too many times..

yeeeaaahhh! wink

Posted By: bobbytran

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/10/13 09:56 PM

But i swear I'm sonny fransezes great grandson

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/10/13 10:16 PM

I thought the majority of your posts were made in Goodfellas word games threads.
Posted By: SC

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/10/13 10:21 PM

I thought the majority of your posts were made in Goodfellas word games threads.

Is this necessary? Is there a reason for making a flaming remark like this?

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/10/13 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

Deniro called certain members "wannabe gangsters" who had watched Goodfellas too many times. So i thought it was relevant that the majority of his posts have been about Goodfellas.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/10/13 10:35 PM

Deniro called certain members "wannabe gangsters" who had watched Goodfellas too many times. So i thought it was relevant that the majority of his posts have been about Goodfellas.

You must feel guilty about being a gangster wannabe, then. These bullshit remarks have to stop. They will stop!!! Bet your house on it. Be smart, and don't reply to me now.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/10/13 10:40 PM

I am in no way a "gangster wannabee" (or however you spell it lol) . Fair enough though.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/10/13 10:49 PM

I am in no way a "gangster wannabee" (or however you spell it lol) . Fair enough though.

And I never pictured you as one. You've never been any trouble before. Your response (to DE NIRO) bothered me, though. He made a general statement but your response was aimed solely at him. You see the difference? You see what we are trying to fight here on the boards? These flaming, pissing contests are the single best reason why the quality of the boards have dropped.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/11/13 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Mignon

While TIS is right to an extent, Mig here has made a fair point.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/11/13 05:40 PM

The glory days were when PLAW was around, and he added so much class to the boards, it is for sure they will never be as good without him. That said, however the decline has happened on two levels.

One, in the section about the films, it gets harder and harder to come up with new topics, new insights, or new anything. We can only discuss "who opened the drapes" or whether it was a mistake for Michael to kill Fredo" or what Fredo knew or didn't know about the hits. Too often nowadays threads (and I plead guilty to starting a few) deal with incongruity or impossible plot twists that are really directorial shortcuts or directorial license too move the plot along. That said people still come up with good stuff. There's a post today about Vito's dress being understated for the Solzzo meeting that provided a new insight.

More recently, there has been a marked deteroiration of the level of comraderie on the other topics. there never used to be personal attacks on people because of their political, religious or other points of view. Nowadays some people think it is open season and they predicate their rants with comments like "all libs are naive to the effect that Obama's Muslim/Kenyan background is ruining this country because" or "all you gun toting nazi neocon morons who want to nuke France think...." In the glory days this just "wasn't done," and we all self policed the boards leaving the moderators out of the discussion. Those days, sadly are gone.
Posted By: F_white

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/12/13 01:34 PM

Church!
Posted By: klydon1

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/12/13 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
More recently, there has been a marked deteroiration of the level of comraderie on the other topics. there never used to be personal attacks on people because of their political, religious or other points of view.

Blahblahblah.....liberal hack....blahblahblah....Zimmerman second coming of Christ....blahblahblah.....Trayvon...hoodie...skittles were really drugs....blahblah....gays are destroying civilization....God says.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/13/13 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
More recently, there has been a marked deteroiration of the level of comraderie on the other topics. there never used to be personal attacks on people because of their political, religious or other points of view.

Blahblahblah.....liberal hack....blahblahblah....Zimmerman second coming of Christ....blahblahblah.....Trayvon...hoodie...skittles were really drugs....blahblah....gays are destroying civilization....God says.

I can see Russia from my house, blah blah Obama is a member of the Muslim Brotherhood which he joined in Kenya.....
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/13/13 09:21 PM

Hey Kly and DT. You attacked people for even disagreeing with the leftist point of view. Anyone who doesn't like Obama must hate him because he's black right?

For the record, Zimmerman's a scumbag, Trayvon had traces of dirty sprite in his liver, I support gays, I don't think Obama is a Muslim and I hate the Tea Party.

Whatever happened to objectivity? All you people love playing the kind hearted liberal. Of course that's easy when you live in the all white suburbs. A black or Hispanic moves in, I bet you people leave in a heartbeat.

Fact is you criticize people on the right for gross generalizations when the left does the same thing. All of you included.

FOX news is evil blah blah blah Obama is the second coming of Christ and can do no wrong blah blah blah Trayvon was such an angel blah blah blah you're a racist blah blah blah let's make an excuse for radical and fundamental Islam even though it killed 3000 people blah blah blah tax the rich and spend more fucking money even though we are trillions of dollars in debt...

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/14/13 01:23 AM

Joe, there's no problem with a difference of opinion. What does bother me is the venom with which some people post, and the complete intolerance. I also don't like the lies.

Dear Lord, Don Cardi and I rarely had a similar opinion on politics, but we were able to debate ideas in a civil manner and stay friends. Why does it seem that lately any disagreement has to come with animosity???

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/14/13 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Joe, there's no problem with a difference of opinion. What does bother me is the venom with which some people post, and the complete intolerance. I also don't like the lies.

Dear Lord, Don Cardi and I rarely had a similar opinion on politics, but we were able to debate ideas in a civil manner and stay friends. Why does it seem that lately any disagreement has to come with animosity???

True. I have no propblem with opposing points of view. For years there has been healthy debate in these forums on issues involving politics, religion, social issues and history without the incivility, labels and name calling that goes on today.
Posted By: carmela

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/14/13 02:41 PM

I think it's just proof as to how society as a whole has taken a turn for the worse. Back in the BB "glory days" (which I wasn't a part of), EVERYBODY seemed a bit nicer, on-line and off. Society has taken a nose dive, it's not just this forum. We were just a bit more tolerant of people in general even 10 years ago. What's happening on this forum, is what's happening all around us. People are on edge. Look at somebody cross-eyed and their horns come up and they're ready to fight to the death (I'm just as guilty).
Our country is split and divided like never before. You see the impatience and disgust in people on line at the grocery store, driving, in any social settings. It's just the way we live now, and this forum is proof of it, but it's everywhere.

And as long as our memories are, they're just as short. We came together in NJ, during Hurricane Sandy, like I'd never thought possible. People going out of their way to help others like I'd never seen. 6 months later, we were all back to flipping one another off on the parkway.

BB can't be brought back to glory days unless, and until, we can all go back to the glory days, when we didn't quite have as much hate and anger as we do today. Not all, but many of us.

Just my thoughts.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/14/13 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I remember when I joined, everyone seemed so warm/friendly and made me feel comfortable right away. smile
TIS

ALL VALID POINTS!

I believe that it was not the actual debating of political views within itself that caused the tension on these boards. In my opinion the total disrespect and personal attacks made by some towards others who did not agree with certain political views are what caused many to garner dislike towards others here. The personal attacks, cursing and name calling is what has caused many good people to shy away from these boards!

As SB correctly pointed out, she and I did not agree 95% of the time when it came to politics, but we ALWAYS respected each others views, and NEVER attacked each other because of our political differences. Even if she and I were on the opposite ends of the political spectrum, we always cared about the each others feelings and still love each other .

Same can be said for Plaw and I. He and I used to battle tooth and nail about politics, but that never caused any animosity between us and we actually became good friends over the years.

Same with dontomasso and I as well as Afs and I ( who by the way I have such a high level of respect and admiration for because this is a lady who over the years has had to live in a region of the world that is the center of political debate. Yet she was always able to maintain a level of respect and understanding regarding the views of others on these boards who were from many different parts of the world. She has always debated in a very intelligent manner presenting educated opinions and views even though at times her opinion and views here on these boards may have been the minority view at the time).

I think that Plaw had a gift for keeping the political debates that went on through these boards in control and he made sure that we all remembered to respect and be courteous to each other no matter how heated these debates became between the members of these boards. Mig is right. His passing may have caused some here to lose the insight that he continually instilled in us to remain respectful towards each other no matter what our political views were. Plaw kept us all mindful of other people's feelings and situations because he understood and realized that these boards consist of a group of people who represent many different cultures from many different parts of the world.

And as TIS said too, there was a time here when veteran members of these boards went out of their way to welcome and make new members feel comfortable when they joined and posted for the first time on these boards.

Perhaps some of us veteran members need to go back to the basics and try to re-instill the values and morals that we once insisted that everyone here, both new and old, needed to have in order to remain a welcomed member of these boards and become a part of La BB Famiglia.

DON CARDI : You were around the old timers -- and meeting up on how the family should be organized. How they based them on the old Roman legions and called them regimes -- the capos and the soldiers. And it worked.

TIS: Yea, it worked. Those were the great old days you know. And one was like to Roman Empire. The Gangster BB Family was like the Roman Empire.

Ahh the good ole days!

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/14/13 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Perhaps some of us veteran members need to go back to the basics and try to re-instill the values and morals that we once insisted that everyone here, both new and old, needed to have in order to remain a welcomed member of these boards and become a part of La BB Famiglia.

Agree 100%. We also need to have another BB weekend. I miss you guys. Great memories. I often look at my BB weekend photo album and smile.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/14/13 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: carmela
I think it's just proof as to how society as a whole has taken a turn for the worse. Back in the BB "glory days" (which I wasn't a part of), EVERYBODY seemed a bit nicer, on-line and off. Society has taken a nose dive, it's not just this forum. We were just a bit more tolerant of people in general even 10 years ago. What's happening on this forum, is what's happening all around us. People are on edge. Look at somebody cross-eyed and their horns come up and they're ready to fight to the death (I'm just as guilty).
Our country is split and divided like never before. You see the impatience and disgust in people on line at the grocery store, driving, in any social settings. It's just the way we live now, and this forum is proof of it, but it's everywhere.

BINGO!

Message boards were still in their infancy when this board took off and people were more civil online to each other then. We've seen an influx of younger people who have no interest in sharpening their social skills and we've seen a drop of civility in general over the years. This board is not unique in its problems.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/14/13 07:26 PM

All valid points. DC, glad to see you back, and wish you would be around more often.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/14/13 11:02 PM

We all just need to grow up stop acting like little children stop the name calling, debate in a civil manner, agree to disagree and let's get this BB back the way it use to be.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/15/13 04:43 PM

All valid points. DC, glad to see you back, and wish you would be around more often.

Thank you SB.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/15/13 06:28 PM

Hey Cardi! Nice to see you back.!! Hope all is well with you my friend. Stop by more often. wink

TIS
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/16/13 06:02 AM

Hi Don Cardi! smile I'm not a woman of too many words, but just wanted to say that the feeling is mutual and I immensely respect you for debating passionately, yet with class. smile

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/16/13 01:15 PM

It is good to see DC back! The best part of this BB is hands down the people. I, like many, take breaks from the BB - sometimes life just gets too busy and there is literally no time jump in. Then, I check back in and you terrific people pull back the chair and welcome me back to the table with no hesitation. Much appreciated and totally cool. Like I said - the people. Bravo & Salute'!

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/16/13 02:32 PM

Great to seee you back DC...your mere presence classes the boards up!
Posted By: Serpiente

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/24/13 10:05 PM

I have only been a member for 40 days or so, I think i got nasty once after it was done to me, so i am just as at fault..

My thing is people that just join or do a second screen name is when they get nasty..

And it actually seams like they are jealous of others,it very well could be under age people , Just how they treat each other in school..(not that we all did not do it)

I have not had anyone that sounded mature come at me always the other ones...

And i think a couple times i has some drinks and gave it back,also wrong and immature.

great to talk thanks

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/25/13 01:49 AM

Nostalgia, eh? It's not like it used to be...

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/25/13 01:55 AM

Too much religion. Too much politics. Too much cursing. Too much spam.

Debased grammar. Fewer real people.

It has nothing to do with:
member age, diminishing morals, the state of the world OMG.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/25/13 03:22 AM

That's one thing I liked about the BB weekends. Talking politics/religion wasn't allowed.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 09/25/13 02:51 PM

I agree too much religion on here, think it needs it own section.. wink
Posted By: EddieLeeway

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/07/13 02:20 AM

I only signed on about a week ago, and I did because I'm an avid reader of OC history for a very long time

I see everyone's points as being valid.....as I've read certain threads since being here I've seen nasty back-biting from quite a few for no apparent reason. As far as news pieces that may be relative to this site I think a lot has been covered(as far as I see since coming here).

I don't know how things used to be so I don't have an opinion to offer.

Social Media is a hell of a drug....

There's not as much organized crime in the news...that might be bringing things to a slow crawl...and I guess since I'm middle-aged I'm not a video game fan...so I guess my interests here are a little more limited than others, but I do want to be a part of this forum or I would never have signed up.

I'm looking forward to reading old and new threads, and if I think I have something worth contributing I will, of course.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/07/13 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Nostalgia, eh? It's not like it used to be...Too much religion. Too much politics. Too much cursing. Too much spam.

I hoped that we would come here and reason together. And as a reasonable man I'm willing to do whatever's necessary to -- find a peaceful solution to these problems...

Hey Mick, how's everything? How's life treating you? Good to see you here again.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/07/13 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
[quote=Capo de La Cosa Nostra]Nostalgia, eh? It's not like it used to be...Too much religion. Too much politics. Too much cursing. Too much spam.

I hoped that we would come here and reason together. And as a reasonable man I'm willing to do whatever's necessary to -- find a peaceful solution to these problems...

"Then we are agreed. The discussion of politics and religion will not be permitted -- and Don Cardi will post more often from the East -- and there will be the peace."

Welcome back, DC. Great to see you posting again. Your presence has definitely been missed.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/07/13 10:19 PM

Indeed, great to see you back, DC, although I must say, you really haven't missed much. Politics and gay rights debates have pretty much turned the whole GD board to shit, due mostly to a handful of ignorant members. It'd sure be nice to have you back more often, but I know how life is. It's good to "see" ya, anyway. smile
Posted By: tnvol

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/08/13 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: carmela

BINGO!

Message boards were still in their infancy when this board took off and people were more civil online to each other then. We've seen an influx of younger people who have no interest in sharpening their social skills and we've seen a drop of civility in general over the years. This board is not unique in its problems.

This. I'm new here but assholes are everywhere.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/08/13 03:29 PM

I have been around these boards for several years now, and what people refer to as the "glory days" was a time where other sites all over the internet were starting to become laced with rudeness and bile, which is belatedly now coming here, especially in the general discussion threads. Some of the stuff that gets posted used to be completely unheard of, and would probably have either been shut down by moderators, or shouted down by members who were good at policing ourselves. More than once did I see someone make a comment such as "I am a conservative too, but you went too far." those days are gone, and too may people "own the truth," or at least think they do.
Posted By: LittleMan

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/08/13 03:48 PM

Over the years, I've been involved with multiple message boards, covering a variety of subjects. I have to say that this is one of the more civil boards I've logged onto, the mods run a tight ship here.

Nearly all of the other boards discuss non core subjects. And they always cause fireworks, due to the passion from board members. I enjoy reading viewpoints on sports and politics- I learn more from message boards because both points of view are often discussed. In terms of politics, that's hard to get on a left leaning or right leaning website.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/08/13 03:53 PM

We all just need to grow up stop acting like little children stop the name calling, debate in a civil manner, agree to disagree and let's get this BB back the way it use to be.

Amen Mig.

I doubt you and I agree on anything political, I believe you are way more conservative than I am, but thats fine. You always state your point of view clearly, and without the bile and personal attacks that we aee too much these days. For that you have my complete respect, and willingness to hear out whatever view you post.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/08/13 04:10 PM

Can't put my finger on it exactly, but it IS different here of late than it use to be. Internet discussion boards were new back in the day, and maybe people were "more" on their best behavior (so to speak)I'm speculating. confused

smile

TIS

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/08/13 04:13 PM

Thank you very much for that DT, that was very kind of you. Hey you never know we might agree on something political in the future.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/09/13 11:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark

"Then we are agreed. The discussion of politics and religion will not be permitted -- and Don Cardi will post more often from the East -- and there will be the peace."

Welcome back, DC. Great to see you posting again. Your presence has definitely been missed.

Originally Posted By: XDCX
Indeed, great to see you back, DC, although I must say, you really haven't missed much. Politics and gay rights debates have pretty much turned the whole GD board to shit, due mostly to a handful of ignorant members. It'd sure be nice to have you back more often, but I know how life is. It's good to "see" ya, anyway. smile

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/09/13 02:48 PM

Amen Mig.

I doubt you and I agree on anything political, I believe you are way more conservative than I am, but thats fine. You always state your point of view clearly, and without the bile and personal attacks that we aee too much these days. For that you have my complete respect, and willingness to hear out whatever view you post.

I second the motion. Mig has the kindest of hearts. She gets kinder and kinder, I think, because of waves of happiness that meet her from being a new grandma. That little boy is in for a special Christmas, methinks.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/09/13 04:26 PM

Amen Mig.

I second the motion. Mig has the kindest of hearts. She gets kinder and kinder, I think, because of waves of happiness that meet her from being a new grandma. That little boy is in for a special Christmas, methinks.

And thank you as well Kly. We may not always agree either but, I appreciate you posting your points of view in a very respectful manner. Methinks you are right on about Dylan. Can you believe he will be a year old in a couple weeks?

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/09/13 04:44 PM

Amen Mig.

And thank you as well Kly. We may not always agree either but, I appreciate you posting your points of view in a very respectful manner. Methinks you are right on about Dylan. Can you believe he will be a year old in a couple weeks?

I find that the older I get, the faster the years roll by. I find it stunning how fast my sons grew from infants to young adults. I imagine that watching a second generation of babies growing up will be even faster. Dylan will be driving you back and forth to ohio before you know it. smile

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/09/13 10:08 PM

I hear ya about how fast time is going. It's mind boggling to me that in a couple months I'll be getting closer to the top of the mountain when I turn 50. rolleyes But Dylan will keep me young...LOL

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/10/13 01:54 PM

Anybody know what has happened to FAME, he's not been here in awhile?

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/10/13 02:33 PM

I hear ya about how fast time is going. It's mind boggling to me that in a couple months I'll be getting closer to the top of the mountain when I turn 50. rolleyes But Dylan will keep me young...LOL

When you hit 50, let me know what it's like. I'm a couple months behind you. smile

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/10/13 04:15 PM

I like Fame. Hope all is well with him. I'm friends with him on FB.

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/10/13 04:21 PM

When you hit 50, let me know what it's like. I'm a couple months behind you. smile

I'll probably get more grey hairs...lol

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 10/10/13 04:25 PM

I like Fame. Hope all is well with him. I'm friends with him on FB.

I liked his threads he would create..

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/24/18 06:40 PM

We need to get some members back here posting. I've PM at least 15 random members who are not active anymore and have had a response from a couple of people..

What i ask of you is too PM 5 people with a quick hello from the first 2 pages of the user list and lets see if we can get a few people back..

wink
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/24/18 08:12 PM

Nice idea

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 02/24/18 09:16 PM

I'd like to have Klydon return. His legal knowledge was invaluable. Of course, I always enjoyed Babe, Apple, Yogi, and DT. TIS is still around from time to time, but far and in between.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 03/27/18 08:15 PM

It's been a while since I've posted here. I pop in at least once a day, though. Good to see this place is still up and running.
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 05/12/18 12:35 AM

I'm putting this here because it's sort of a history question, and I'm a relative newby of only 11 years vintage: why is there a separate Scarface forum directly under that for the The Trilogy? Is J. Geoff obsessed with Tony Montana (I see that he has a Scarface website similar to those for the Godfather movies), or was there exceptional interest in Scarface when the forums were young?

Re: GangsterBB: let's go back to glory days. - 05/12/18 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by mustachepete
I'm putting this here because it's sort of a history question, and I'm a relative newby of only 11 years vintage: why is there a separate Scarface forum directly under that for the The Trilogy? Is J. Geoff obsessed with Tony Montana (I see that he has a Scarface website similar to those for the Godfather movies), or was there exceptional interest in Scarface when the forums were young?

I think the answer is a combination of both scenarios you mentioned, pete. When Geoff first started the GBB it was primarily a message board for 'The Godfather' only. Discussions for other Mob-themed movies would often pop up and 'Scarface' was the most popular of those "other" discussions. The separate forum helped keep the board a little cleaner and more manageable. That forum was started ABOUT 2002.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET