Home

Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/10/10 05:44 PM

I honestly didn't know whether to put this in "Random" or "YouTube" OR the the joke thread to tell you the truth. Listen to the entire thing. It's really something else. Poor girl seems so likeable even if she isn't very bright. eek How embarrassing..poor thing

I have only watched this show a couple times and granted, many of the questions I can't answer. This is pretty embarrassing.

TIS

Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/10/10 05:48 PM

"I thought Europe was a country" is not a (stupid) question, lmao.

Though Hungary is not "like hungry", either. Haha.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/10/10 05:54 PM

She was on American Idol but now she is trying to make it as a CW singer.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/10/10 05:56 PM

TIS, I am definitely not surprised. This poor daft woman is pitiful. In my classes I encounter students who are just as daft. How dysfunctional was her educational experience?
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/10/10 06:01 PM

Wow..she is a moron. She probably thinks there are kangaroos in Austria.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/10/10 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
She probably thinks there are kangaroos in Austria.

And that Governor Schwarzenegger is from Australia.

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/10/10 06:16 PM

Everyone knows The Terminator is from California.
Posted By: BAM_233

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/10/10 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
She probably thinks there are kangaroos in Austria.

And that Governor Schwarzenegger is from Australia.

he's governor!? i thought he was a second rate actor?
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/11/10 05:18 PM

Jay Leno has a segment called "Jay Walking" where, if you haven't seen it, he asks people on the street simple questions. Its amazing and comical how dumb the average person is. Just like Kellie Pickler, but she's cute.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/11/10 05:25 PM

MC, I thought one of the funniest "Jay Walking" questions was in two parts.

1. Who lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

Many of the participants got this wrong.

2. Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

The same people who didn't know the address of the President, did know where Sponge Bob lives.

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/11/10 05:30 PM

SB,

I've seen the exact episode you speak of. It is truly amazing isn't it? eek Really, I don't know what to say. Are there a lot of U.S. citizens so, I hate to say it,but dumb?? It's embarrassing. frown

TIS

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/11/10 06:14 PM

Apparently our public education system is doing a splendid job. rolleyes

My niece, who is a TEACHER, had no idea if NY was on the Atlantic or the Pacific. Her parents bought her a globe as part of her college graduation gift.

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/11/10 07:18 PM

i probably should move to asia...this contries education is embarrassing

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/11/10 08:47 PM

yes it is inst it
Posted By: Danito

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/12/10 12:27 PM

Original geschrieben von: BAM_233
i probably should move to asia...this contries education is embarrassing

Asia? Isn't that a country?
I know they speak Chinese.
Posted By: bogey

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/12/10 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: BAM_233
contries

tongue
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/12/10 03:38 PM

This is more of a generational thing, but my 12 year old daughter, who has little interest in music that predated her birth, was talking to friend, who had never heard of the Beatles.

My daughter enlightened her that they were a band from around the 1940s and the members were John Lennon, Ringo Stars, some McCarthy guy and Harrison Ford.

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/12/10 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
This is more of a generational thing, but my 12 year old daughter, who has little interest in music that predated her birth, was talking to friend, who had never heard of the Beatles.

My daughter enlightened her that they were a band from around the 1940s and the members were John Lennon, Ringo Stars, some McCarthy guy and Harrison Ford.

Ha ha ha ha!! That's Priceless. lol

Speaking of generational (and I have told this story before). When my girls were about 14/15 or so, I was watching something on tv and commented "what a Mickey Mouse outfit that is". They both came from the other room to see who was wearing a Mickey Mouse outfit. lol To this day, I still tease them and they'll now use the term.

TIS
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/12/10 03:45 PM

That Harrison Ford could never hold a tune. No wonder the Beatles never got anywhere tongue

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/12/10 07:52 PM

One exam question I asked this past semester was "In what year was the US Constitution composed?" Two students answered "1983". Yes, one probably copied from the other (since they sit next to each other), but one of them is obviously dumb and the other is dumber.

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/12/10 08:22 PM

Well, I know South America is a country, and they speak Mexican there.

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/12/10 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bogey
Originally Posted By: BAM_233
contries

tongue

umm...yea that was a joke...yea lol

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/12/10 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
One exam question I asked this past semester was "In what year was the US Constitution composed?" Two students answered "1983". Yes, one probably copied from the other (since they sit next to each other), but one of them is obviously dumb and the other is dumber.

please tell me they are not doctors or in control of lives

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/13/10 02:43 AM

Oli,

You work at much higher level of education in your job, than I when I worked at the Middle School, but I can relate to an extent. I remember being amazed at some of the words students would ask "how to spell". frown It is truly truly sad.

There were many mornings during our daily "Pledge Allegiance" when I'd watch students who were in the office stand and "attempt" to say the pledge without really knowing the words. My kindergarten grand daughter knows the pledge.

I blame the whole system. These people will be running things and they are so lacking in basic education. I don't know, maybe it's just CA, or maybe just my school, but it's frightening that's for sure.

TIS

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/13/10 03:42 PM

My son, when he was in grade school, took a test where a question was, "Who bombed Pearl Harbor?" He answered it correctly, and his friend was impressed. He said, "Pearl Harbor? I don't even know who she was."

It gets better. The boy's mother couldn't answer the question either, but she knew it was either the Arabs or the Jews. I told her it was the Jews. She said that was the one she was leaning towards.

Now when my son was 2 or so, we were teaching him The Lord's Prayer and he would always say, "Give us this day, our jelly bread...and deliver us from eagles. Amen." I liked his version and didn't correct him.

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/13/10 03:48 PM

Quote:
It gets better. The boy's mother couldn't answer the question either, but she knew it was either the Arabs or the Jews. I told her it was the Jews. She said that was the one she was leaning towards.
lol

I hope your son didn't write, "The Japs!"

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/13/10 09:08 PM

My son, when he was in grade school, took a test where a question was, "Who bombed Pearl Harbor?" He answered it correctly, and his friend was impressed. He said, "Pearl Harbor? I don't even know who she was."

Now when my son was 2 or so, we were teaching him The Lord's Prayer and he would always say, "Give us this day, our jelly bread...and deliver us from eagles. Amen." I liked his version and didn't correct him.

i know its rude to correct people, but really!?
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/13/10 09:33 PM

I love Klydon's one liners "I told her it was the jews"...thats great.

Although I have to say it doesn't compare to your "We gave him a juice box and let him watch Spongebob" comment Klydon.

Its not as good as any of the comments so far but in one of my political science classes they asked what pact or meeting established rules for warfare and one political science major responded "the salami one"...

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/13/10 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Oli,

You work at much higher level of education in your job, than I when I worked at the Middle School, but I can relate to an extent. I remember being amazed at some of the words students would ask "how to spell". frown It is truly truly sad.

There were many mornings during our daily "Pledge Allegiance" when I'd watch students who were in the office stand and "attempt" to say the pledge without really knowing the words. My kindergarten grand daughter knows the pledge.

I blame the whole system. These people will be running things and they are so lacking in basic education. I don't know, maybe it's just CA, or maybe just my school, but it's frightening that's for sure.

TIS

Wasn't it Babe who posted that her niece, a teacher, didn't know on which coast NY was located? We have had many who are the ignorant teaching the ignorant since when? - probably the 70s at least. Have you noticed that some Board members will post "there" when they mean (I suppose) "their"? The beat goes on - although it keeps getting louder.

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/14/10 01:47 AM

Yup. She didn't have a clue, although in her defense that was when she was still in college. She did go to excellent colleges for both her undergraduate and graduate degrees. I guess all that education didn't include a geography class.

Oh, and when her sister (also a college graduate, btw) was a teenager, she was under the impression that the United Nations was a country. United States, United Kingdom, United Nations. rolleyes

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/14/10 04:37 PM

Sometimes, it could be a mental block.

When I was in 5th grade, a classmate (Joe) answered that New Mexico was the capital of Mexico. He did so on a following quiz, after which the teacher corrected him in class for a second time. He got the same question wrong by answering "New Mexico" on a test a week later. The funny thing was that in the middle of the test, the teacher announced, "Joe, the capital of Mexico is NOT New Mexico."
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/14/10 04:39 PM

I'm not even smarter than a 4th Grader whistle.

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/14/10 05:20 PM

My son needed help with his homework in Algebra II. I told him I did pretty well in that class, but when I looked at his books and the assignment, nothing looked remotely familiar. I had to walk away with a stupid look on my face.

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/14/10 05:53 PM

My son needed help with his homework in Algebra II. I told him I did pretty well in that class, but when I looked at his books and the assignment, nothing looked remotely familiar. I had to walk away with a stupid look on my face.

Don't feel bad Kly. Both my girls had Algebra in Middle school. I NEVER had to take Algebra in high school AND in Business School I had to take only accounting and business math classes. So, I know NOTHING about Algebra. Mom's help with any math homework was out of the question way back when. ohwell

That being said, I am so glad,because I find it so extremely complicated and USELESS. Neither of my kids have ever had any use for it either after being forced to take it.

I've seen kids in middle school who can't add or subtract. The last thing they need is Algebra. But then that's my opinion.

TIS
Posted By: SC

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/14/10 07:15 PM

I've seen kids in middle school who can't add or subtract. The last thing they need is Algebra.

Unfortunately those stupid kids learn how to multiply, though.

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/14/10 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
I've seen kids in middle school who can't add or subtract. The last thing they need is Algebra.

clap lol
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/15/10 03:03 PM

Been there,done that ohwell

Frequently tongue

Re: Are YOU Smarter Than A 5th Grader - 01/15/10 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

lol

Another precious gem from that inexhaustable mine of wit. clap
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET