Home

TV or Board Games?

Posted By: Fame

TV or Board Games? - 10/25/09 01:15 AM

Is sitting around on the sofa playing board games with your family no more than an old memory? anyone still doing that today or do you all turn on the TV once dinner is over? (that is unless it was already on DURING dinner...in which case you guys are really helpless grin )

I remember growing up playing all kinds of board games with my family, after dinner. As soon as we were done eating, my little brother brought his monopoly and that was the most popular game in my house. We also played card games and sometimes we played "Snakes and Ladders" cos my lil bro insisted. But damn I HATED monopoly! maybe because most of the time I got myself stuck in jail (and there was no klydon in sight). But both my parents loved playing with us after dinner, and those were really wonderful times.

I know you probably have some outdoor family pastimes, but I'm asking about spending time inside the house. If you guys do play board games with your family despite owning a TV set, then please, by all means, mention which games. I wonder if Monopoly is going still.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/25/09 01:39 AM

I hate Monopoly, too. However, we do play games board games like Life and when the girls were younger, we played Trouble and Chutes and Ladders. Now we play Apples to Apples, Trivial Pursuit, Boggle and Catchphrase. We also like to play Rummikub, which is played with tiles.

There are plenty of nights that the TV goes on, but we do enjoy games, too.
Posted By: BAM_233

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/25/09 03:06 AM

whats board games? lol
Posted By: klydon1

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/26/09 06:44 PM

Our family and aour friends' family have played Apples to Apples and Catchphrase, and had a lot of laughs. This past weekend I played Sorry with my kids. My boys would rather play xbox or playstation with their friends online, but my daughter loves board games and cards.
Posted By: Yurkin

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/26/09 07:45 PM

I still play board games with my brothers and we're all 17, 20, & 22. Our games consist of Monopoly, Scattegories, and Pictionary. Definitely my top 3 favorites.

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/26/09 08:01 PM

Catchphrase is so much fun. I'll never forget this exchange:

Oldest Daughter: It's where someone without kids can get children...

Mr. Babe: Viet Nam

Me: The mall

The actual answer - an orphanage. lol

My daughter was all, "Really, Mom?? The mall?? Where? Gap?"
Posted By: Yurkin

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/26/09 08:04 PM

HAHAHA!!!! "The mall".
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/26/09 08:35 PM

When I was younger I played more board games than I do now, mostly monopoly (which I always seemed to lose at), Clue and remember checkers???

I have only a few board games including Yatzi, Scrabble and Outburst. We play sometimes during the holidays or when the family is over and my personal favorite, although admittedly I suck at it, is Trivia Pursuit. smile

TIS
Posted By: klydon1

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/27/09 03:02 PM

On car trips my kids and I would play 20 questions, or a game we made up where you take turns saying letters, and the loser is the first one who spells an actual word. When you reach a point where you think the ordered letters cannot possibly spell a word, you can challenge the person, who last offered a letter, to say what the word would be. It's okay for a while.

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/27/09 03:29 PM

We were stuck in traffic with my brother, my nephews and my girls once. We decided to play 20 Questions. It was my husband's turn. My brother asked him, "Is it an animal?", "Yes", "Does it have four legs?", "Yes", "Is it an ocelot?" And the answer was, "How the f*ck did you get that???"

To this day, whenever we're sitting in traffic, the girls will randomly yell out, "Ocelot!"
Posted By: svsg

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/27/09 04:03 PM

lol ocelot of all animals

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/27/09 05:37 PM

The other night, ocelot was actually the answer on "Cash Cab", and my brother couldn't wait to call and tell me!
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/27/09 05:38 PM

Is Twister considered a board game if you play it in the nude?

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/27/09 05:43 PM

In your case, wouldn't the other players just be "bored"??
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/27/09 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
In your case, wouldn't the other players just be "bored"??

To tears lol.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/27/09 05:47 PM

We play more card games than board games like Phase 10, Uno etc. Pegs & Jokers board game is fun family game. I love Apples to Apples.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/28/09 11:08 AM

The kids like Monopoly. My wife and i like Scrabble.

We are also fond of a game of dominoes and my wife regularly whips the kids at chess smile
Posted By: Longneck

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/29/09 06:50 AM

I play games when we have people over.

Scattergories is awesome.
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: TV or Board Games? - 10/29/09 01:37 PM

My mom loves to play games when we get together for the thankgiving & christmas holiday's. We'll play rumnikub, poker, trivial pursuit based on the star wars films(we also have a dvd version as well). And we'll play monopoly although my family won't let me be the banker anymore, I would always embezzle funds. lol
Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: TV or Board Games? - 11/02/09 07:42 AM

I always wanted to play board games with my family when I was younger, and they never wanted to play!! I mean, I remember driving them crazy with that, and they'd finally cave in every so often.

More recently, I discovered Apples to Apples when a college friend brought it over for our group to play - it's really a fun one!
Posted By: M.M. Floors

Re: TV or Board Games? - 11/02/09 10:42 AM

When I was young my mom played most of the times board games with me. Sometimes we did monopoly or trivial pursuit with the whole family. That was very nice.

Now I have a girlfriend who loves to play board games. Every week we play some kind of game.

Re: TV or Board Games? - 11/02/09 03:29 PM

Gina, try Catchphrase, too. You'll love it. It's quite addictive. And I've literally laughed until I cried during some games. Friends of ours gave my husband a survival guide (can't quite remember the name), and then they came out with the board game version of the book. I bought it for him, but we only played it once or twice, and into the back of the closet it went.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: TV or Board Games? - 11/03/09 10:52 PM

How do you play Catchphrase?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET