Home

Advice, Tips, & Tricks

Posted By: Longneck

Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/28/08 10:56 PM

Give us advice, tips, and tricks about life and all sorts of random stuff.

- Don't eat yellow snow

- I think carrying a pen around at all times is a good idea for when you get good ideas.

- Eat toast upside down

- Carry your wallet in your front pocket

Quote:
- If you're worried about hitting your finger while hammering in a nail, use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the nail for the first few whacks. After it's been driven in a little, you shouldn't need to hold it at all if you're coming straight down with the hammer.

Quote:
- Keep an emergency kit in your car. Change of clothes, water, etc.

Quote:
- Dry off your razor on a towel after shaving. It'll make the blades last longer.

Quote:
- If you're printing things that you don't have to hand in (like resumes or term papers), change your print settings to "Fast Draft" instead of normal. It'll save a bunch of ink, and will print much faster.

Quote:
- Never, ever lend money to anyone you want to keep in your life.

Quote:
- If you ever get a nosebleed, don't do the pinch the bridge of the nose tilt head back shove toilet paper up your nostrils bullshit. Don't even bother putting a thing to your nose.

Take a paper towel (toilet paper or a tissue will work in a pinch), rip it in half, ball it up, and shove it as far up between your front two teeth and your upper lip as you can.

Your nosebleed will stop, immediately, without another drop - regardless of how bad it is. Leave the paper back in for about 15 minutes and you're clotted.

Posted By: olivant

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/29/08 04:52 PM

Patience, and control your emotions.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/29/08 05:19 PM

Don't get high on your own supply

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/29/08 05:43 PM

Quote:
Go out and buy something for <$5 for your significant other. No seriously, do it right now. Then give it to him/her the next time you see 'em. Surprising them out of nowhere with something cute and thoughtful, or even something "boring" or "lame" like their favorite candy bar or a flower or a new guitar pick will make their day, especially if they were having a crappy day beforehand.

Quote:
If you are getting a letter of recommendation for graduate school or something, tell them you need it a week or two before it's actually due. If a professor flakes out on you (something that can be all too common), you're not completely hosed because you provided yourself a safety net. You don't want the integrity and punctuality of your application hinging on the responsibility of someone else.

Quote:
Another study tip: When you get back from class, spend a little time and type up all your handwritten notes. I find that stuff just sticks in my head when I do, with the added bonus of not having to decipher my handwriting when I do go back to check them. I also retype my notes again instead of studying.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/29/08 06:14 PM

1, You don't tug on Superman's cape,
2. You don't spit into the wind
3. You don't pull the mask off that ol' Lone Ranger
4. you don't mess around with Jim."

grin

TIS
Posted By: SC

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/29/08 06:25 PM

You never EVER cut in a breakfast buffet line before TIS!
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/29/08 09:47 PM

Hairspray gets out ink and lipstick stains.

Unless you want to go blind, don't play catch with Geoff.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/29/08 11:19 PM

Don't take any wooden nickels.

Don't trust whitey.

Leave well enough alone.

Let a sleeping dog ly.

Always wear clean underwear.

Don't go hunting with Dick Cheney.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 02:05 AM

For canker sores: Mix warm water with a couple teaspoons (or more) of baking soda and gargle. Do this a couple times a day and you'll see a huge difference in 24 hours. It tastes salty, but it works. wink

TIS
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 03:20 AM

Put warm groundhog grease in your ears for earaches.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Mignon

For real Mig?? I don't know nothing about that, so I'll believe you. Just where in the hell would I get a groundhog? Ha ha...not quite sure I'd know one if I saw one, let alone where to find the grease. lol

TIS

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 04:36 AM

For real TIS. It's one of those mountain remedies. When you fry up the groundhog meat you just save the grease. I swear this is the best for an earache.
Posted By: svsg

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 05:04 AM

Yeah it causes deafness as a side effect though tongue

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 05:21 AM

You'll get an urge to come out of your hole every February 2nd.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 05:26 AM

Ever have a "dent" in your carpet from some heavy furniture being on it. It looks ugly when you move the furniture. Just put an ice cube in the indentation. Wait for it to melt. Once it does, blot up the water with some paper towels. The indentation should disappear.

Also, to get gum out of a rug - freeze it; put an ice cube on it and when the gum hardens sufficiently, you should be able to remove it from the rug without leaving a mess.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 05:30 AM

Don't eat Cheetos and masturbate afterwards, or else your "thing" will turn orange.
Posted By: whisper

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 06:40 AM

If you're going to cheat on your Girlfriend, remember to remove the condom before you get home. You don't want to jump in the shower with her the next morning and have the rubber fall off onto the floor.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
Don't eat Cheetos and masturbate afterwards, or else your "thing" will turn orange.

Oh my God! That's it? And to think of all the money I spent on doctors trying to find out why.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 06:10 PM

Don't get muscle relievers like Ben Gay or Flexall 454 anywhere near your privates. Same with hot peppers. Seriously. whistle

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Don't get muscle relievers like Ben Gay or Flexall 454 anywhere near your privates. Same with hot peppers. Seriously.

I'm afraid to ask how you know this.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 06:19 PM

Maybe I should've just said, be sure to wash your hands after using such products... wink

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 06:31 PM

Also, to get gum out of a rug - freeze it; put an ice cube on it and when the gum hardens sufficiently, you should be able to remove it from the rug without leaving a mess.

OK - true story. My parents went to some famous Chinese/Polynesian restaurant in Manhattan for their anniversary. My mother didn't notice that there was gum on the chair when she sat down. When they tried to leave, she was literally stuck to the chair. She finally got up and there was this HUGE wad of gum stuck to her behind. They were supposed to go to a Broadway show afterwards, so my mom was freaking out about what to do.

The maitre d' came running over and told her that he could put ice on the gum, it would freeze, and he could just pull it right off.

So, there's my mother in the bar with a strange Chinese man rubbing ice on her ass. He pulls on the gum and RIP, tears this gigantic hole in her dress. She was wearing a black dress with a beige slip under it, and they still had to walk to the theater. She wrapped her fur stole around her waist and had to go like that. lol

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 06:33 PM

Maybe I should've just said, be sure to wash your hands after using such products...

Or BEFORE touching your privates.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 06:34 PM

Since you never know when you're going to touch your privates, I'd go with Geoff's advice!

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 06:47 PM

Maybe I should've just said, be sure to wash your hands after using such products... wink

Too late now JG. That'll be added to your file.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Since you never know when you're going to touch your privates, I'd go with Geoff's advice!

Very true, because it's an almost constant thing!

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 07:25 PM

More so for men.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 07:51 PM

More so for men.

God, how sexist! When will we men ever be able to cast off the cloak of second class citizenship and be respected for our minds?

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: svsg

Who says?

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 10:42 PM

If you want to get candle wax out of your carpet place a white towel over the wax and go back and forth over the towel a couple times with a hot iron the wax come right out of the carpet and onto the towel.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 10:47 PM

If you want to get candle wax out of your carpet place a white towel over the wax and go back and forth over the towel a couple times with a hot iron the wax come right out of the carpet and onto the towel.

How do you then get the wax out of the towel?

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 10:50 PM

Keep it for the next time you spill candle wax on the carpet.
Posted By: svsg

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: svsg

Who says?

Haha, I was just kidding smile

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 11:28 PM

So you don't worry about ruining a towel, a brown paper bag works very well, too. I spilled candle wax on my mother's brand new carpet when I was a kid, and this does work very well.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
[quote=Sicilian Babe]Since you never know when you're going to touch your privates, I'd go with Geoff's advice!

More so for men.

God, how sexist! When will we men ever be able to cast off the cloak of second class citizenship and be respected for our minds? [/quote]

Actually, I was referring to the standing/urinating thing. But, sure, go ahead with your dirty mind.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 11/30/08 11:55 PM

So you don't worry about ruining a towel, a brown paper bag works very well, too. I spilled candle wax on my mother's brand new carpet when I was a kid, and this does work very well.

I didn't know that a brown bag will work also. I just use a old towel that was gonna get thrown out anyways.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/01/08 12:00 AM

Don't have an iron or you're lazy and have wrinkly clothes? Hang them up in the bathroom and take a shower.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/01/08 12:49 AM

Yes, but be careful, LN. My boss did that on a business trip once. He hung his suit on the shower rod and then turned on the shower and closed the door. While he was in the bedroom, his wool pants slipped off the hanger and fell into the tub, and consequently shrunk, shrunk, shrunk. He had to run out and buy a new suit before his meeting!

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/01/08 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Longneck
Don't have an iron or you're lazy and have wrinkly clothes? Hang them up in the bathroom and take a shower.

Yeah, but then your skin comes out wrinkly.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/01/08 03:28 AM

Yeah, but then your skin comes out wrinkly.

Well it doesn't work on birthday suits, duh.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/10/08 04:15 AM

Quote:
My dad's worked for Butternut for awhile, and he taught me how to tell which bread is more fresh. There's a color code subtly incorporated through the bread tie. The color of the tie represents the day on which the bread was baked:

Monday - blue

Tuesday - green

Thursday - red

Friday - white

Saturday - yellow

Wonderbread has the same code, but I think other companies are probably different.

This should be the same for most bread at the supermarket. And to help you remember, the colors are in alphabetical order. BGRWY for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.

Anyone know if this is true?

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/10/08 04:20 AM

What color is Wednesday? confused

That's interesting. I haven't heard of it before. I'll keep a look out. I do like to have fresh bread if possible. smile

TIS
Posted By: Santino Brasi

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/10/08 05:43 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
What color is Wednesday? confused

That's interesting. I haven't heard of it before. I'll keep a look out. I do like to have fresh bread if possible. smile

TIS

They don't bake bread on Wednesday... I guess, it is against their religion lol

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/10/08 06:50 AM

For Students:

About making your papers longer: Use Courier New or some other mono spaced font (as opposed to a variable width font). You're getting cheated out of precious paper space with every letter except "W".

Also, Make your periods and commas a size 14 font while the text is size 12.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/10/08 06:57 AM

For Students:

About making your papers longer: Use Courier New or some other mono spaced font (as opposed to a variable width font). You're getting cheated out of precious paper space with every letter except "W".

For Wannabe Cheaters:

MS Word and probably every other word processing software can tell anyone how many words are in a paper. If you or your teacher are concerned only about how many words are in a paper, neither should be in education. Using a monospaced font like Courier makes papers more difficult on the eyes which doesn't make a good impression on whomever is grading it, it also fools no one, and it actually uses up more paper in the long run, therefore killing more trees.

Instead of making your papers appear longer, make them more intelligent. tongue

Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/10/08 02:16 PM

Treat everybody nice as you go up the ladder in life. That way if you ever come back down the ladder,people will remember you were nice and not gloat over your demise.

I don't know if this works because i am still at the bottom of the damn ladder but i'm still always nice smile

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/23/08 08:34 PM

For Wannabe Cheaters:

MS Word and probably every other word processing software can tell anyone how many words are in a paper. If you or your teacher are concerned only about how many words are in a paper, neither should be in education. Using a monospaced font like Courier makes papers more difficult on the eyes which doesn't make a good impression on whomever is grading it, it also fools no one, and it actually uses up more paper in the long run, therefore killing more trees.

Instead of making your papers appear longer, make them more intelligent. tongue

Yeah, those typewriters sure were annoying to read, huh? (Mono spaced fonts). I agree papers should be intelligent instead of based on a length of pages or words, but tell that to my professors.

TIP:

Want to shave after you've just taken a shower now that your pores are all nice and expanded? Wait! The mirror is fogged up! Put some shaving cream on the mirror and then wipe it off with a towel. Clears it up and it stays clear!

I just did this (typing NAKED right now!) and I was surprised at how well it worked, it seems to clean the mirror too.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/23/08 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Treat everybody nice as you go up the ladder in life. That way if you ever come back down the ladder,people will remember you were nice and not gloat over your demise.

I don't know if this works because i am still at the bottom of the damn ladder but i'm still always nice smile

I have always found that those at the top of the ladder have greased the rungs below them. smile

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/23/08 10:40 PM

Ain't that the truth!?

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/23/08 11:24 PM

For Students:

That's why I specify a font type and size and margin width with no headers or footers.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/24/08 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
For Students:

That's why I specify a font type and size and margin width with no headers or footers.

A lot of professors do, but the periods and commas at size 14 still help the length more than you'd think.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 12/30/08 03:54 AM

Never go to the grocery store on an empty stomach.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 01/02/09 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

I have always found that those at the top of the ladder have greased the rungs below them. smile

So that's the secret eh?

Greasy buggers!!!

grin
Posted By: whisper

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 01/04/09 03:44 AM

Stop sniffing Coke when your left arm goes numb and shooting pains are rushing through it.

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 01/08/09 12:07 AM

If you need to leave your car in an area where you think it might get stolen, remove some small but vital part like the fuse for the fuel pump.
Posted By: chopper

Re: Advice, Tips, & Tricks - 01/08/09 02:19 AM

dont piss in a broken bottle
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET