Home

The Patch

Posted By: Don Smitty

The Patch - 04/16/08 12:57 AM

Anyone here ever try useing the patch to stop smokeing? I 'am thinking of buying it.

ds
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: The Patch - 04/16/08 01:01 AM

I've heard good and bad about it. Some people experience side affects. Personally I think that you should consult a physician about using the patch.

Going on 9 months for me soon. Cold Turkey. It's tough but you can do it my friend. TIS also quit last summer and I believe that she is still going strong.

Go for it Smitty! You can do it!

Re: The Patch - 04/16/08 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
I've heard good and bad about it. Some people experience side affects. Personally I think that you should consult a physician about using the patch.

Going on 9 months for me soon. Cold Turkey. It's tough but you can do it my friend. TIS also quit last summer and I believe that she is still going strong.

Go for it Smitty! You can do it!

Thats great that u and Tis have been smoke free for so long! Congrats!!! I guess cold turkey is the way to go. Iam gonna try starting tommorow. Thanks DC.

ds
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: The Patch - 04/16/08 02:19 AM

I've never used it, but the best of luck to you.

If you do go with the patch, I guess it's a good idea not to relapse with it on. I went to the pharmacy with my friend to go pick it up, and the crazy-ass lady who sold it to him told us she made that mistake, and resultantly told us how she tried that, and had "night-terrors." To which I responded, "nightmares?" and she went on to tell us about her adventures through what she referred to as the "zombie world" and how she would often wake up screaming loudly. But she was fucking crazy.

Are you familiar with Chantex, DS? The same friend tried that after the patch, and it seemed more affective.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: The Patch - 04/16/08 02:30 AM

LLC, Zombie World hu!!!! What was in her patch, LSD? She sure had what I would think were a little extreme symptoms.

I considered the patch as well. If you decide to go with the it, be careful. I "heard" if you use the patch and even have one cigaret that you'll get sick as a dog. So check with someone and/or make damn sure you don't smoke while using it.

For me, I gradually weined myself off nicotine. Sounds really crazy, but I use to smoke a pack a day and started by cutting down to a half pack, then after a couple weeks only 4/5 a day (after meals were a must). Finally quit. As a matter of fact it's 10 months today. \:D "By George, I think I've Got it." I'm not tempted at all anymore. However, my daughters' think I'm crazy because if were are exiting a restaurant our outside somewhere and someone is smoking, I do tend to want to take a big snort. They say, "That smells good?" Hard to explain to those who have never smoked. Never think about lighting up anymore though.

Anyway good luck to you DS. Quit whichever way you feel is the best for you. Keep us posted

TIS

Re: The Patch - 04/16/08 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
LLC, Zombie World hu!!!! What was in her patch, LSD? She sure had what I would think were a little extreme symptoms.

I'm pretty sure I saw her taking bottle shots of Robitussin that same day.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: The Patch - 04/16/08 03:40 AM

Best of luck DS.
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: The Patch - 04/16/08 03:55 PM

Although all my half-hearted attempts at quitting smoking have failed miserably, my brother, using nicorette gum has been smoke free for six to eight months now give or take. Nicotine is very, very difficult to kick because it is a psychological as well as a physical addiction and the cravings are (at times) unbearable. Anyways, best of luck to you Don Smitty in trying to quit.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: The Patch - 04/16/08 04:10 PM

Smitty, the patch can be helpful. But the most important thing is: you have to be ready, really ready and convinced, to give up smoking. Otherwise it'll fail.

Re: The Patch - 04/16/08 09:04 PM

Thanks for all the good advice and support guys!

ds

Re: The Patch - 04/16/08 11:06 PM

I wouldn't have seen this coming when I first posted in this thread last night, but this morning, after waking up and smoking a morning cigarette, I decided I am also going to try to quit. It worked out perfectly. It was the last cigarette of my pack, and it was probably one of the best cigarettes of my life--I mean, usually when I smoke, I feel like the cigarette goes way too fast, and afterwards I'm always keeping an eye on the clock, choosing a time in which I could smoke another without seeming excessive. But I just felt completely fullfilled, and got a head-buzz off of a cigarette for the first time in probably six months. It just seems right.

And besides, it's never been the health-issues that bothered me, but the idea of being addicted to any substance is just down-right depressing to me. I just keep telling myself, I don't need it, but I'd like it, and as corny as it sounds, it's actually been helping. It's been less than 12 hours, and I already feel like a humongous weight has been lifted. Hopefully I still feel this way in a day or two.
Posted By: whisper

Re: The Patch - 04/17/08 03:50 PM

I'm enjoying a nice smoke after a nice meal right now. Ahhh
Posted By: bogey

Re: The Patch - 04/17/08 04:14 PM

I've been gone too long. When the fuck did you start smoking?
Posted By: Ice

Re: The Patch - 04/17/08 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: bogey

I assume you're referring to the C-man. I guess the dude thinks just b/c he's turning 16 in a few days that he can start lighting em' up.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The Patch - 04/17/08 08:27 PM

Did you hear about the gay guy who tried to stop smoking?

He put the patch on his d*** and he's down to two butts a day.

Re: The Patch - 04/17/08 11:41 PM

Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The Patch - 04/17/08 11:43 PM

You're the only one who laughed, Mama!

Damned liberals.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: The Patch - 04/18/08 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

my daughters' think I'm crazy because if were are exiting a restaurant our outside somewhere and someone is smoking, I do tend to want to take a big snort. Hard to explain to those who have never smoked.
TIS

I do the same thing TIS!

Re: The Patch - 04/18/08 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Ice
 Originally Posted By: bogey

I assume you're referring to the C-man. I guess the dude thinks just b/c he's turning 16 in a few days that he can start lighting em' up.

Quite some time ago I realized everyone dies. If everyone dies eventually, who's to stop you from doing what you want? I'd say a year, year and a half ago or so is when I first smoked, but not when I "started." Then I'd say I was "casual," usually only smoking after sum drugz lawl, because nicotine supplies a 17% increase to the high you get off of that other stuff you smoke. Then I'd say in the last 6 months or so I've been about a pack a day.

I still don't give a shit about my health, but the idea of being addicted to anything is a little much, once you put it in retrospect.

By which I mean I dressed up like I was from the fifties and looked around.

Re: The Patch - 05/07/08 09:54 PM

Smitty, did you ever try the patch? I just received my free two-weeks supply, courtesy of New York's quit-smoking program.

I've only been wearing it for a few hours so far, but a few observations; I am able to watch television without wanting to smoke a cigarette everytime I see someone else light up... Also, I am able to sit still without feeling antsy, just waiting for the effects of my last cigarette to wear off so I can go out and have another. I was a little reluctant to put it on, wanting to just go out and buy one last pack and enjoy it before putting my first patch on, but that idea went out the window within an hour of applying the patch.

I'll admit, there is still a slight urge to go out and smoke a cigarette, but it's pretty easy to ignore. I'm assuming that will all go away once I've been wearing the patch for a while.

It sure beats the hell out of cold turkey. I can't do cold turkey as it is... I can't imagine trying to quit without an aid like the patch if I had been smoking as long as some of the older smokers here who have been smoking for 10+ years.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: The Patch - 05/31/08 12:43 PM

I just went on the NYS website and applied for my free patch. They are supposed to arrive within 7 to 10 days.

I'm actually frightened. I'm not sure if I'm more frightened of not smoking or not succeeding. When you classify yourself as a "smoker", and you commit to quitting, are you not declaring to change who and what you are?
Posted By: Beth E

Re: The Patch - 05/31/08 12:45 PM

Good luck with that SB. BTW, how are TIS and Cardi doing being smoke free?

Re: The Patch - 05/31/08 04:36 PM

Thanks, Beth. I'm going to need it. It was scary, when they asked how many years I had smoked, to answer "27". How the hell did that happen???

Re: The Patch - 05/31/08 04:58 PM

Just think, in August you won't feel the need to step outside to take a smoke break. smile

Re: The Patch - 05/31/08 05:02 PM

I wish you all the best SB. It won't be easy but you are a strong woman. You can do it.

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Beth E
Just think, in August you won't feel the need to step outside to take a smoke break. smile

Oh, I'll probably still feel the need - I just hope I won't give into it. panic
Posted By: SC

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Just think, in August you won't feel the need to step outside to take a smoke break.

Oh, I'll probably still feel the need - I just hope I won't give into it.

I hope so, too.

I had stopped smoking for two months and then attended the 2005 sitdown. I bought a pack that first night (of the sitdown) and then another and another..... frown

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 01:27 AM

I remember that, actually. I felt very guilty.

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 01:28 AM

Just think, the less time spent outside smoking the more time to spend drinking martinis.

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 01:29 AM

That's the kind of logic that I like, Beth. Except that I can't imagine a night of serious drinking without smoking.

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 01:30 AM

It works for me. smile

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 01:32 AM

Just think, the less time spent outside smoking the more time to spend drinking martinis.

That way you can do alot more giggleing and playing the quarter's game.

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 01:33 AM

Me? Giggling? I have NO idea what you're talking about, Mig. whistle

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 01:38 AM

Me? Giggling? I have NO idea what you're talking about, Mig.

That makes two of us. You just look out for bitches wearing boustiers. lol

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 01:42 AM

SB,

Good luck to you. smile Feel free to vent or even "bitch". I'll understand. If it's any consolation, the first week is horrible and it gradually gets better week after week.

For me, June 15 will be one year already. I can't believe I did it. smile Do I think about smoking yes. I still feel drawn to cigaret smoke, but no longer feel the need to have one. I can live with occasionally getting a little urge as long as I know I can overcome it.

Good luck!!!

TIS

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 01:42 AM

She don't have to worry about that this year. If some ho hits on Mr.Babe this year I'll knock the living shit out of her.

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 01:58 AM

Thanks, TIS. That means a lot to me.

Me?? I have no idea what you mean, SC.

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 02:40 AM

Me? Giggling? I have NO idea what you're talking about, Mig. whistle

Me?? I have no idea what you mean, SC.

Me thinks SB has a memory problem tonight wink tongue lol

Re: The Patch - 06/01/08 12:52 PM

It goes hand-in-hand with the drinking. lol

Re: The Patch - 06/04/08 10:55 PM

3 weeks today without a smoke. it feels pretty good.

ds

Re: The Patch - 06/05/08 12:32 AM

Good for you DS. Every week gets easier. Unfortunately we gotta go thru the torture of withdrawal but as you know it does get easier, just takes time. smile Continued luck to you.

TIS

Re: The Patch - 06/05/08 01:35 AM

Keep it up Smitty. Fight the good fight.

Re: The Patch - 06/18/08 03:36 PM

I put the patch on today. So far, the cravings are not out of control, but it's only been 4 hours. I still feel the urge, and I have to tell you that it's occupying a large part of my thought process. That said, I'm trying to negotiate the sale of a warehouse building, and I'm finding the bitchiness to be working for me!! smile
Posted By: MiniMafiaBoss

Re: The Patch - 06/18/08 03:41 PM

I used to smoke, for social standing, then gave it up because it was a waste of money. Now I sell packet after packet to others to get theirs.

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 01:28 AM

I want a cigarette. Just one, or two, or maybe a pack and then a carton or two. That wouldn't be cheating, would it?????

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 01:33 AM

Hang in there SB!!! I know it's really really rough. If it's any comfort at all, it DOES get easier each day.

Btw, I just passed the one year mark (June 15) of being clean and sober so to speak. grin

TIS

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 01:43 AM

TIS, that's wonderful!! I'm so proud of you. Actually, when I was pregnant, I quit cold turkey and the cravings were HORRIBLE. The patch has really relieved a lot of it, made it much more tolerable.

I am feeling sort of dizzy and light-headed, but that's supposed to be typical as well. I also am not nearly as hungry as I was last time, but I'm coughing like crazy from a post-nasal drip. That could just be my allergies, though.

I hope I don't have the bad dreams associated with the patch, because I would rather not take it off at night. I started with a Step 2 patch and I plan to do the Step 3 as well.

I had to call DMC today to talk me through my drive home from work, because without the girls in the car, that was my smoking time. That was the worst part so far.

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 01:53 AM

Ha ha...Boy, can I relate..

My drive to/from work is about an hour. I kept a pack of cigs in my car for a couple months after I stopped smoking. Didn't smoke them but I guess you'd call it a comfort just having them there (only a smoker can grasp that concept). During my drive home I probably use to smoke 3 cigarets. I had three particular intersections in which I would pull out a cig and just pretend to take a hit and hold it. tongue Unsatisfying? Yes. But I did that three times during my journey. After a week or so I didn't pull out the cigaret, but still kept them in my car, and would simply glance down at them and waited for the craving to pass. I did come very close a couple times with the cig in my mouth and the lighter in my hand but for whatever reason, I fought the urge.

Now, one year later, yes I still think about it. Cigaret smoke smells good, that's all there is to it. It probably always will. But, I don't intend to light again and feel really confident that I won't.

TIS

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 01:58 AM

I could never have had them that close and not light up. I made sure I had no cigarettes anywhere near me. I even asked the guys at work if we could go for Chinese instead of our usual deli, because the deli sells cigarettes.

I did pretend to smoke my pen several times throughout the day, though. lol

I hope and pray that I have the resolve that you have today. I think that's wonderful. I was hoping for a whiff outside the office today, but it was raining and there were no smokers outside. So, that doesn't sound ridiculously insane? I also made everyone at work smell me because I was so happy that I don't smell like smoke.

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 02:03 AM

Oh yes, the "whiff". To this day, I pass by someone smoking, and my nose starts sniffing like a dog. lol My daughter said, "that smells good?" Ha ha!!! If that's the only after effect, I'll live with that.

It might be good because I'm hearing that very soon they will ban smoking from all condos/apartments in certain areas. I'm glad I quit, but that really sucks for those who do smoke? Where the hell do you go now to light up?

TIS

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 02:18 AM

TIS, that's wonderful!! I'm so proud of you. Actually, when I was pregnant, I quit cold turkey and the cravings were HORRIBLE. The patch has really relieved a lot of it, made it much more tolerable.

I am feeling sort of dizzy and light-headed, but that's supposed to be typical as well. I also am not nearly as hungry as I was last time, but I'm coughing like crazy from a post-nasal drip. That could just be my allergies, though.

I hope I don't have the bad dreams associated with the patch, because I would rather not take it off at night. I started with a Step 2 patch and I plan to do the Step 3 as well.

I had to call DMC today to talk me through my drive home from work, because without the girls in the car, that was my smoking time. That was the worst part so far.

Like I said before, just stick it out, because everytime you "cheat" it's just going to make you more prone to see any harm in it in the future. And with the patch on, it just sort of became a psychological thing, and it lost all of its efficiency.

The coughing is probably something to do with quitting. They say you cough up flem for some days after cutting cigarettes out of your routine as your throat repairs itself, which makes sense, because it seems to get me everytime I try to quit.

And I used to sleep with the patch on, and it's not that I had bad dreams, just really surreal ones. They're were actually sort of enjoyable, considering the weird guy I am. But then I thought about it, and you're actually getting more nicotine than you do when you smoke when you sleep with it on, because that's sort of like smoking in your sleep.

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 02:30 AM

Thanks, LLC. I appreciate the support. TIS, if you own your condo (I once did and I remember that you own the interior walls and the association owns the exterior), how can they possibly stop you from lighting up in your own home?? That's ridiculous! And impossible to enforce, I would think. And it's WAY too Big Brother for me!!!!

I read today that if you can go 2 weeks without cheating, your chances of success go up tremendously.

I don't want to take the patch off at night because I'm afraid that the cravings will be out of control in the morning! I'll look forward to some surreal dreams then.

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 02:37 AM

SB,

Not smoking any longer I didn't listen as closely to the details as I would have at one time. BUT, I believe that those who smoke in their apartment/condo NOW can smoke but as these people leave/move they will enforce the no smoking until gradually it becomes non-smoking. At least that's the way I understand it. I am guessing they can tell you not to smoke outside, but can't tell you not to smoke inside. I don't think that's fair either. You should be able to do what you want in your own home (as long as it's legal)no matter what kind of home you have.
ohwell
TIS

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 03:18 AM

Crazy-ass world. The government will never outlaw tobacco because they make too much damn money off it. However, they will pass laws to make you feel like a leper at the same time. They recently passed an extra $1.25 per pack tax on cigarettes here in NY. They pass these taxes without objection because it's OK to tax smokers. They're all idiots with a death wish!! It really pisses me off that the world has made smokers into social pariahs, and people feel perfectly comfortable coming up to complete strangers to rant and rave at them about their bad habit. Would you go up to scold some obese person chowing down on a couple of Big Macs??
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 03:30 AM

I used to smoke a pipe. When I quit in 1990 (no patch then), the first reaction I noticed was a huge increase in energy. I don't know why, but I suddenly felt like I had to walk, run, shout, etc. My kids were scared of me. I started taking long walks after dinner just to dissipate the energy.

Alas, another and unfortunate effect was that I gained weight. To be fair, I always have had a weight problem, but it'd been under control for a long time. My doctor told me that it was because my metabolism changed when I quit smoking. But I told her I thought there was another cause:

When I got restless, I lit up the pipe. There's a lot to keep you busy if you smoke a pipe: knock the ashes out, clean the bowl and stem, fill up, light up, etc. After quitting, there was nothing to do but...eat. The Dr. agreed. So, I started eating high energy, low fat snacks. My favorite was raisins. They worked to help control weight. But they caused another problem: tooth decay. Suddenly I started needing root canals...you can't win. But at least I haven't gone back to smoking. smile

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 03:41 AM

Smoking provides an oral gratification, so substituting food only makes sense. I'm trying to chew gum. Also, nicotine is an appetite suppressant, so an increased appetite would be natural as well.

A friend of mine was overweight. She decided to quit smoking, and she talked to her doctor about it. He said, "That's great, but whatever you do, don't gain weight!" She said that she knew she was in trouble when her doctor was more concerned about her weight than her smoking. She joined a gym, lost 50 lbs. AND quit smoking!
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 06:54 AM

First off, LLC, there's something wrong when a 17-year-old is on the patch for chrissakes! eek Good for you, but still that's weird... how long could you have possibly smoked to be so addicted?? eek I didn't even start 'til I was 17! lol

Of course, I've been smoking longer than you've been breathing, plus incubating, plus another few years. I tell you (all) -- while OF COURSE there is a HUGE physical dependence -- it's also hugely behavioral.

I need to quit, I know that. And HUGE congrats to those here who have and who are trying to quit! You are saving your own precious lives, and not just for you, but also for your loved ones.

Me, I'm weak. Plain and simple. ohwell The gum does work, though, for cravings... I just need to set my mind straight.

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 11:15 AM

Well, if you're weak, JG, then so is 90% of the smoking population. I've read that only 5-10% of quitters succeed (the number varies, depending on the website). I have to say that I've been quite pleased with the patch so far. It has made a nightmare more tolerable. It has now been 24 hours, and I was dreading waking up in the morning, figuring I would be out of my mind with the cravings. I changed my routine, stayed in bed a bit longer, and I was OK.

And no surreal dreams for me, but maybe once the patch builds up in my system!

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 12:28 PM

Good for you, SB! I wish you luck!!

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 03:02 PM

Thanks, sweetie. I always snuck in a cigarette in the bathroom right before showering. That was such a part of the routine that it was a really tough moment. Plus, it was the point in time when the patch was losing its effectiveness.

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

First off, LLC, there's something wrong when a 17-year-old is on the patch for chrissakes! eek Good for you, but still that's weird... how long could you have possibly smoked to be so addicted?? eek I didn't even start 'til I was 17! lol

I'm actually a 40 year old creeper looking to get chicks on a message board by telling them I am only 18.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 04:45 PM

Would you go up to scold some obese person chowing down on a couple of Big Macs??

Ugh. I hate this argument most smokers bring up. There's one problem with it, no one dies from secondhand Big Macs.

And good luck quitting. It'll be better for your health and you can use the extra money on rising gas prices, or hiring a hitman for Shirley...

LLC, I'm not sure how you can get enjoyment out of smoking, my guess is through feeding the addiction but that hardly seems like something that would inspire me to say "everyone dies, might as well smoke"... I don't know...maybe it's just something I can't understand as a non-smoker.

TIS, congrats on a year. Didn't Cardi quit the same time as you? Did he make it?

I'm guessing what makes it hard to quit is the combo of a habit/ritual along with addiction. An addiction can be hard to kick alone but you also have to break the habits associated with smoking.

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 07:59 PM

Perhaps nobody dies from secondhand Big Macs, but there goes that argument that non-smokers use about how they have to foot the insurance bills for smokers. You'll be footing the bill for the fat guy, too, but nobody yells at complete strangers about over-eating. Believe me, the government is making TONS of money off of smokers.

I personally don't want to smoke, but if you're over 21 and have made the choice to smoke, then, since it's not illegal, you should have every right to go ahead and do it.

And, yes, it is an addiction. Why else would you see people outside of office buildings and restaurants in blizzards or rainstorms or 100 degree heat, huddled around an ashtray? It's what they feel compelled to do. I am thankful for the laws that limit smoking because they have forced me to cut down consumption, which I believe will allow me to have an easier time quitting. Not easy, just easier.

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 08:30 PM

Perhaps nobody dies from secondhand Big Macs

You apparently never sat next to a big fat guy, who after eating five Big Macs has a gas problem.

Re: The Patch - 06/19/08 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
Perhaps nobody dies from secondhand Big Macs

You apparently never sat next to a big fat guy, who after eating five Big Macs has a gas problem.

Don't you know better than to make jokes about inflation during a bad economy??

Re: The Patch - 06/20/08 12:42 PM

Perhaps nobody dies from secondhand Big Macs, but there goes that argument that non-smokers use about how they have to foot the insurance bills for smokers. You'll be footing the bill for the fat guy, too, but nobody yells at complete strangers about over-eating.

Obese people get charged more for insurance, smokers do too. It should not affect a non-smoker or non-obese person's premium.

Re: The Patch - 06/20/08 08:17 PM

If you get insurance from your job, then everyone has the same premium. And I don't think that Medicaid or Medicare screens for those things.

Well, I'm on my third day now without a cigarette. In a lot of ways, today was worse, mostly because I was in my car a lot, which was definitely a place I smoked. I walked past a woman in a parking lot, and she was smoking. I took a huge sniff, and she looked at me strangely, and I laughed and told her what I was doing. She said that she had tried the patch a few times and it hadn't worked for her, so she was going to try the new nicotine spray, which I hadn't heard of. When I walked away, I told her to have a nice weekend, and she replied, "Have a great LIFE." smile

Re: The Patch - 06/21/08 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Longneck
Perhaps nobody dies from secondhand Big Macs, but there goes that argument that non-smokers use about how they have to foot the insurance bills for smokers. You'll be footing the bill for the fat guy, too, but nobody yells at complete strangers about over-eating.

Obese people get charged more for insurance, smokers do too. It should not affect a non-smoker or non-obese person's premium.

It's all bullshit in my opinion. If anything, they should be charged less, because they're going to fucking need it.

I always answer no when the doctor asks me if I smoke/drink/do "street drugs," all consequences put aside.

(What the fuck is a street drug, anyways? They sound absolutely retarded when they say that shit.)

Re: The Patch - 06/21/08 05:50 PM

The hardest part of trying to quit for me is, the need for a smoke when I first wake up. That's when the addiction hits hard. I'll even get up in the middle of the night and light up a smoke.

Re: The Patch - 06/21/08 05:51 PM

America would know about obesity - they created it and then "exported" it yo the world.

Re: The Patch - 06/21/08 05:54 PM

?????

Re: The Patch - 06/21/08 05:55 PM

Obesity was mentioned a few posts above mine.

Re: The Patch - 06/22/08 05:31 PM

Whisper, That is one of the toughest times because you've been without nicotine for so many hours. But give it a shot. The patch or one of the medications may work best for you. There's even a nicotine nasal spray now. It may take multiple attempts using different methods before you can really quit. But the most important thing is to give it a try.

Re: The Patch - 06/22/08 05:34 PM

I'm keen to give it a go, eventually. I've tried the Gum and it gave me burning sensations down my esophagus and my throat. Also, my fiend tried the patch and he started getting stabbing pains in his arm. I may try the nasal spray.

Re: The Patch - 06/22/08 05:53 PM

There are definitely people who suffer ill side effects. So far, I've had no problems. Just remember that what worked for one person, may not work for you, and the other way around as well. The most important thing to do is try, and not to get discouraged if you don't succeed. Just try again.

Re: The Patch - 06/22/08 05:54 PM

I really wanna give it a proper try, But I'm a weak weak man.

Re: The Patch - 06/22/08 05:56 PM

Just remember that the longer you smoke, the more difficult it will be to quit.

Re: The Patch - 06/25/08 01:57 PM

Today is one week. It's been so ridiculously difficult at times that it's really not funny. However, I notice already how much better I feel. I'm breathing better and don't get short of breath as quickly.

The urges are far less frequent, although no less intense. I just hope and pray that I can keep it up.

Re: The Patch - 06/25/08 01:59 PM

The urges are far less frequent, although no less intense. I just hope and pray that I can keep it up.

Every time you get an urge, just think of how much better you're feeling now.

Congratulations!

Re: The Patch - 06/25/08 02:06 PM

Today is one week. It's been so ridiculously difficult at times that it's really not funny. However, I notice already how much better I feel. I'm breathing better and don't get short of breath as quickly.

Good work!!!

I'm gonna draw inspiration from people like you!! So keep it up!!

Does talking about it, just remind you of smoking though?

Re: The Patch - 06/25/08 02:24 PM

Congrats SB. It's only been a week. Just think when you post back on here in about 5 months and the progress you would have made.

You're doing great. clap

Re: The Patch - 06/25/08 02:34 PM

Thanks, everyone! Talking about it does NOT make me want to smoke more, because I focus on talking about NOT smoking. I have avoided one friend who smokes like a chimney, and didn't even stop smoking around her husband when he quit (and I am even more impressed now that he was able to). As I told a friend, it's starting to feel almost normal to NOT be smoking, but I also have to remind myself not to buy cigarettes. I always budget my pocket money each week, so when I looked in my wallet yesterday, I started to panic because I was "low" on cash, but then realized that I was actually up some bucks, because I didn't have to buy cigarettes!

Re: The Patch - 06/25/08 02:59 PM

To reward yourself stick the money you're saving from not buying cigarettes aside. Every month or so take that money and splurge on a little something nice for yourself.

Re: The Patch - 06/25/08 03:13 PM

Way to go SB. I am very proud of you. Keep up the good work.
Just think how much better you'll feel in the days and weeks to come. Congrats!!

Re: The Patch - 06/25/08 03:16 PM

I'm gonna move from Smokes to Cigars. At least you don't inhale as much toxic smoke. Plus, I can look all cool and gangster!!

Re: The Patch - 06/25/08 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: whisper
I'm gonna move from Smokes to Cigars. At least you don't inhale as much toxic smoke. Plus, I can look all goofy and wankster!!

Re: The Patch - 06/25/08 03:40 PM

Longneck you clever boy!!

I may talk trash, But you collect it!!

Re: The Patch - 06/25/08 05:42 PM

Aren't cigars still pretty shitty for you? Not to mention more expensive?

Fucking Aussie's.

Re: The Patch - 07/01/08 07:45 PM

Any Brits here heard of the new nicotine thing?

It doesn't burn like a cig, but you can hold it and take it like a cig. They are allowed indoors, so people will now go back to pubs, bingo halls etc and trade will go back up!

Re: The Patch - 07/01/08 10:06 PM

Tomorrow is two weeks, so I went to Costco to buy another two week supply of Step Two and a two week supply of Step Three patches. They only sell the Step Two in packs of 21, though. I bought them because they were STILL cheaper than CVS' 14 day supply.

Anyone need seven Step Two patches??

Re: The Patch - 07/01/08 10:09 PM

Tomorrow is two weeks ...

Good for you, SB!! Keep it up!

Re: The Patch - 07/01/08 10:15 PM

It's so hard, SC. I can't believe I've stuck with it, but I guess that finally telling the girls has helped. Now they'll be watching me!! My daughter's very happy, though. And that's certainly worth it.

Thanks for the support. A gal my age needs all the support she can get! wink

Re: The Patch - 07/01/08 10:24 PM

A gal my age needs all the support she can get!

They sell bras for that.

Re: The Patch - 07/01/08 10:29 PM

They sell bras for that.

Oh, I thought maybe she was talking about a walker.

Re: The Patch - 07/02/08 12:28 AM

LN, you just MIGHT have topped SC with that one! lol

Re: The Patch - 07/02/08 03:26 AM

They sell bras for that.

lol

Re: The Patch - 01/03/11 07:35 PM

I searched for a smoking thread and found this one. I thought I would bump it up for one reason.

My mother-in-law has smoked for 60 years. On December 17th, she had to have triple bypass surgery. Two of the arteries were 100% occluded and one was 90%. 5 days after the surgery, she was moved to a rehab for physical therapy. A few days later, she was rushed back to the hospital in respiratory distress. She cannot fully inflate her lungs, and they continually fill up with fluids. Today she had her third procedure to drain the fluid. Tomorrow she will have a fourth. The doctors have tried medication to relieve it, but so far nothing works.

Since she smoked for so many years, she has advanced COPD. She has no other health issues, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, she's not obese, although she does have high cholesterol. Whatever health issues she has are all smoking related.

If any of our friends here are looking to quit smoking, I am telling you this in hopes that it will be a motivation. After numerous attempts to quit, it has now been two and a half years since I've had a cigarette. I am so grateful that I was able to do it this time around.

Please, please, please, I see the pain this has caused my mother-in-law and I see how my husband is consumed with fear and worry. I hope and pray that she is able to rebound, and we'll know more in three or four days, but QUIT. It's an expensive and dirty habit, and you will feel better without it.

Although there is more of me to love since I quit (30 lbs.!), I know that my husband will live with it, rather than see me sick like his mother.

And, in the meantime, please send any good thoughts you can her way. She's going to need them.
Posted By: Mark

Re: The Patch - 01/03/11 07:49 PM

Heartfelt thoughts & prayers to SB and her family. God bless & good luck.

Re: The Patch - 01/03/11 07:56 PM

SB,

It's stories like your MIL that gave me the final push to finally quit. I've been smoke free now for 3 years and am so glad I am. smile Although their are never any guarantees on one's health, I sure do feel healthier.

My thoughts/prayers are with your MIL

TIS

Re: The Patch - 01/04/11 02:36 AM

TIS, I think of Plaw so often. He was so young, and his loved ones were robbed of so much when he died, especially his son.

Giving up cigarettes was one of the hardest things I've ever done, and it took years and several tries to do it, but I am grateful that I did.

Thanks for the good wishes, folks.
Posted By: Ice

Re: The Patch - 01/05/11 03:08 PM

Best wishes to your MIL, SB. smile Mr. Babe is fortunate to have you in his corner right now.

Re: The Patch - 01/05/11 03:52 PM

Aw, thanks. blush She does seem to be doing better, so if she continues to improve over the next 48 hours, she can come home!

I notice that our Don hasn't said anything. Geoff, I swore I would never be one of those preachy ex-smokers, but......
Posted By: fathersson

Re: The Patch - 01/05/11 06:55 PM

Best wishes for your MIL- SB

My father is against all smokers. Big Time!
Even if people joke about it being good for our business.

He lost his father to them and saw both his father's sisters struggle to take a breath in the final stages of lung cancer. First not being able to get out much, then not even being able to walk around a room, then even the movement of being in a bed became a chore to them.

He says it is a slow death, stealing the quality of your life away from you. I think the final straw was when he lost his sister and she was only 50 years old at the time. Spending days at her bedside watching her go down hill. The cancer eating at her and the pain getting worst and worst. Having to lift her every time she wanted to move trying to find a soft spot to relax in. Many nights he came home with tears in his eyes and you could tell he had been crying all the way home from the hospital.

And yet years ago it was made popular by the tobacco companies with so many adds and actors doing it in all the movies and TV shows. Making people feel that it was a natural thing to do, cool, sexy and being a real man to light up. People just didn't know the danger back then. But today we do, but it doesn't keep anyone from lighting up...
Even with the price of the name brands being almost a hundred dollars a carton, it hasn't stopped people.
What are we doing?
Sorry for the soapbox, the old man must be rubbing off more then I think!

Re: The Patch - 01/05/11 07:05 PM

I agree with everything you said. Back in the day, nobody knew the dangers (except the tobacco companies, and they weren't going to tell!), but that's no longer true. However, they have a very powerful lobby, plus the sale of cigarettes brings in an enormous amount of sales tax.

Re: The Patch - 01/05/11 07:23 PM

Best wishes to your Mother-in-law SB.

The Col's uncle was in the hospital dying of lung cancer mean while he was in the bathroom smoking away and setting off the fire alarms. He could not give them up and it took his life.

Re: The Patch - 01/05/11 09:49 PM

I guess if you're dying, you figure you might as well keep smoking. I was at the hematologist this morning, and he's also an oncologist. They give IV chemo treatments in the office. The nurse told me they've had patients ask if they can take the IV stands outside for a cigarette break!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET