Home

Where your from

Posted By: chopper

Where your from - 04/12/08 01:50 PM

I thought id make a thread where if people want they can post a bit about where they are from and what there town/city is known for etc.. any famous people who hail from there (you New Yorkers could just post a bit about the area you live in)

anyway heres mine,i look forward to seeing where other BB Members are from.

Worksop

Worksop is a town in the Bassetlaw district of Nottinghamshire, England on the River Ryton at the northern edge of Sherwood Forest. It is about 19 miles ESE of the City of Sheffield and its population is estimated (mid-2004) to be 39,800. It is twinned with the German town Garbsen.

Worksop is known as the "Gateway to the Dukeries", so called for the number of ducal residences in the area. An important manufacturer in the town is Premier Foods UK, which produces products such as Batchelor's Soups and Super Noodles and Oxo. Oxo is solely produced in Worksop. Wilkinson's Distribution Centre is also an important employer as well as the recently opened B&Q Distribution Centre. The Wilkinson UK headquarters are at JK House, south of the town near the A60. The town is also home to Worksop College a co-educational day and boarding school. The local football team, Worksop Town F.C. were recently relegated from the Conference North.

Evidence that Worksop existed before the Norman Conquest of England in 1066 is provided by the Domesday Book of 1086:

"In Werchesope, (Worksop) Elsi (son of Caschin) had three carucates of land to be taxed. Land to eight ploughs. Roger has one plough in the demesne there, and twenty-two sokemen who hold twelve oxgangs of this land, and twenty-four villanes and eight bordars having twenty-two ploughs, and seven acres of meadow. Wood pasture two mjubipuuuum jknhugkgjkguguoguooiƶguigtiiles long, and three quarentens broad."[1]
This early period of the town's history was humorously depicted in the children's television show, Maid Marian and her Merry Men, where it was largely portrayed as a mass of mud.

After the conquest, in about 1103, William de Lovetot established a castle and Augustinian priory at Worksop. Subsequently Worksop grew into a market town. The building of the Chesterfield Canal in 1777, and the subsequent construction of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway in 1849, both of which passed through the settlement, led to a degree of growth. Discovery of sizable coal seams further increased interest in the area. In recent years Worksop has been recognised as having a serious drugs problem attributed to the decline of coal mining in the early 1990s during the government of John Major. The member of parliament for Bassetlaw, John Mann, has fought a high-profile campaign to tackle the problem, once described as being at levels seen in inner cities.In July 2007 Worksop was hit by one of its worst floods for a hundred years, along with the rest of the near by villages.

Education
Welbeck College, a sixth-form college for potential army officers was based near Worksop from 1953 until 2005, and has now moved to Woodhouse in Leicestershire. The Portland School is on Sparken Hill near the A57/B6034 roundabout. Valley Comprehensive School is on Baulk Lane near the leisure centre in the town centre. Both schools have sixth forms which work as a consortium. North Notts College is on Carlton Road (A60) in the town centre. Valley School achieves higher results at GCSE. Both of the two secondary schools in Worksop, are currently undergoing a major redevelopment. Both schools are being rebuilt and will be knocked down when construction is complete. Also a new Post 16 centre has been opened on the 3rd September 2007, which offers a wide range of A level qualifications along with vocational courses. The centre runs in partnership with the two schools and the college

Health
Worksop is served by the Bassetlaw District General Hospital, part of the Doncaster and Bassetlaw NHS Foundation Trust. It is a large hospital, treating 33,000 people in year in addition to 38,000 emergencies at the A&E department. It is also used as a Teaching hospital by the University of Sheffield Medical School.

Local economy
Coal mining was an important source of employment. Manton Wood had a large colliery until 1994. This site has now been redeveloped as the main distribution centre for Wilkinson's in England, just off the A57. It is the home of the Manton Wood Enterprise Zone. Greencore sandwiches (formerly Hazelwood Foods) and OCG Cacao, and Solway Foods (now part of Northern Foods and make pre-packed sandwiches) are based there. Major retail sites are Tesco, on Gateford Road, near the town centre and Sainsburys, on Highground Farm Road in Rhodesia, next to the A57 roundabout with Sandy Lane (A60).

Worksop has two radio stations: Trax FM, which is broadcast from mainly Doncaster and has taken much criticism for this factor over recent years. It broadcasts from studios on Bridge Street on 107.9. The other radio station is TrustAM which is the Bassetlaw Hospital Radio station which can be found on 1278MW around the Hospital grounds.

The town is connected by rail to Nottingham and Mansfield by the Robin Hood Line, which follows the A60. The A57 connects the town to the M1 and the nearby A1. Netherthorpe Airfield, 2 miles west of Worksop, provides facilities for general aviation and pilot training.

Places of Interest

Worksop Priory
Main article: Worksop Priory

Clumber Park
Main article: Clumber Park
Clumber Park, just south of Worksop is a country park owned by the National Trust and is open to the public.

Mr Straw's House
Worksop is home to Mr Straw's House, the family home of the Straw family, which was left by the Straw brothers, William and Walter Straw when their parents died in the 1930s. The house remained unaltered until the National Trust acquired the house in the 1990s and opened it to the public.[2]

Circle Arts Centre
The Circle Arts Company provide theatre and recording studio facilities in the heart of Worksop including professional live music and arts performances and a range of arts training courses and social support services. It is managed and run mainly by volunteers who believe that involvement with the arts is vital for individual and community health.

Famous people from Worksop
Bruce Dickinson, singer in the heavy metal band Iron Maiden and now commercial pilot for the carrier Astraeus
Neil Entwistle, a computer engineer accused of shooting dead his wife Rachel and their nine-month-old daughter Lillian at their home in Massachusetts in January 2006
Anne Foy, BBC Children's TV presenter
Sarah-Jane Honeywell, BBC Children's TV presenter
Mick Jones, Leeds United striker of 1960s and 70s
John Parr, musician
Donald Pleasence, actor
Graham Taylor, football manager
Lee Westwood, golfer
Tom Preistley, Presenter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worksop
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 01:59 PM

Wikipedia, Chopper?

That site's likely to make you Worksopians out to be a bunch of serial killers. \:p

Oh, yeah, New York City---born, raised ... 'nuff said.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 02:16 PM

Pittsburgh

Go Steelers!
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 02:33 PM

Born in Lorain,Ohio. Raised in Elyria, Ohio. Now I'm living in Salem,Ohio.

GO BROWN'S!!!

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 02:34 PM

GO BROWN'S!!! GO INDIAN'S!!!

Elyria, Ohio founded 1817 I graduated High School with the Mayor.

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon

Aw, see, you're not such a hillbilly, Miggie. \:\)

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 02:37 PM

Well I'm a hillbilly by marriage.

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Wikipedia, Chopper?

That site's likely to make you Worksopians out to be a bunch of serial killers. \:p

Worksopians i like it!!

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: chopper
Wikipedia, Chopper?

Worksopians i like it!!

I would've called you a Workaholic, but I know how lazy you are. \:p

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 02:44 PM

Lazy me how dare you \:o

Your right though ;\) \:D
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 03:06 PM

Born,raised and still living in Newcastle upon Tyne UK

So called because back in 1100ish they knocked down the old castle and built a new one overlooking the river Tyne.
Hence the name Newcastle upon Tyne.

Very simple eh?

Used to have loads of shipyards,mines and factories. Now we have nothing except call centres for banks and stuff \:\/

People from here are called "Geordies" because years ago in some civil war we supported a fella called George. Allegedly?

We talk funny,drink a lot of beer,love sports and have great senses of humour.

Oh yes,we are one of the best cities to have a night out in,its been proved in a poll.

P.S. This is'nt from Wikipedia....its Yogipedia
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Oh yes,we are one of the best cities to have a night out in,its been proved in a poll.

P.S. This is'nt from Wikipedia....its Yogipedia

It just takes bloody hours to get there... ;\)

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 03:15 PM

Yogipedic?

Sounds like a mattress commercial for bears.

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 03:17 PM

Yogipedic?

Sounds like a mattress commercial for bears.

Great for a good nights sleep PB.....

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 04:59 PM

GO BROWN'S!!!

You're proof of the hypothesis: no matter where you move in Ohio, the Browns still lose.

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 05:31 PM

I can't argue with that. One of these days The Browns will do good.

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 07:08 PM

I can't argue with that. One of these days The Browns will do good.

You know, you're right. I heard that may happen soon since the Steelers are considering disbanding.

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 07:48 PM

Posted By: SC

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 08:55 PM

Brooklyn, New York.

"The Borough of Homes and Churches" is the largest in population of New York City's five boroughs. It sits on the western end of Long Island and was first visited by Europeans in the early 1600's when Henry Hudson sailed up the river later named for him.

Its a place of immense diversity and its neighborhoods reflect those who live within them. Large groups of Italians, Irish, Jews, Poles, blacks, Hispanics, Chinese and Russians all live in relative peace and harmony.

We've had our share of famous folk - Al Capone was born here as was Michael Jordan. From the world of comedy we've contributed Woody Allen, The Three Stooges (Moe, Curly and Shemp Howard), Mel Brooks and Jackie Gleason. Boxing champs Mike Tyson and Floyd Patterson came from its streets as did music's Barbra Streisand, George Gershwin and Harry Chapin. Writers Walt Whitman, Isaac Asimov and Arthur Miller called it home and Carlo Gambino lived here for most of his life.

Turnbull, plawrence, Don Cardi and myself were born here.

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
Brooklyn, New York.

Now, that explains alot. It must be the water. You guys are being treated, aren't you?
Posted By: SC

Re: Where you're from - 04/12/08 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
 Originally Posted By: SC
Brooklyn, New York.

Now, that explains alot. It must be the water. You guys are being treated, aren't you?

But you're the one who is all wet.
Posted By: whisper

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 09:47 PM

Melbourne City, Australia - Born and slightly raised.

The highest crime rate in the country, known for live music, drugs, junkies asking for change to "use the phone", pollution, violence, "mini New York", multicultural, Rialto Tower, Vodafone arena (Australian Open), graffiti, too many commercial radio stations, kebabs, Second highest amount of Greeks(after Greece), 10 year Mob war( portrayed in the world news as the new Chicago), Trams, Milk Bars, never ending supply of clubs and pubs, delayed or canceled trains, Homeless kids, African/Italian/Aboriginal/Aussie/ Chinese gangs etc, Backyard Abortions,Prisons run like holiday resorts, Victoria Bitter, blah blah blah
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 09:50 PM

Toms River, NJ (founded 1768)
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Where your from - 04/12/08 10:09 PM

Geoff, I can't say I have heard Tom's River before. You've been there all your life?

Anyway, even though I'm in California now for 27 years, it's Grand Rapids Michigan that's home for me I was born and raised there.

For those who don't know Michigan is the "Great Lakes" state. I remember many times in the heat of summer my dad would take us to a different lake each time we went swimming. There is no shortage that's for sure. \:\) Also, did you know that Grand Rapids, the second largest city (Detroit being the largest), is the Furniture Capital?

I was pleased when I was there last month, as we drove downtown to the hospital, how nicely they are refurbishing the area. I do hope they keep some of the older buidlings though for history's sake. There is always something neat about them to me.

TIS

http://www.grcvb.org/visit.php
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Where your from - 04/13/08 02:25 AM

The first time I ever heard of Toms River, NJ was when I read "Blind Faith" by Joe McGinniss (sp??) many years ago, the book about the murder of town resident Maria Marshall.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Where your from - 04/13/08 03:30 AM

I was born in Lafayette, IN, lived in towns named Frankfort and Mulberry. Mulberry is tiny, 2 restaurants, liquor store, gas station...the essentials, and it's 6 miles from everywhere. Every sign you see that says "Mulberry" says 6 miles.

Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon is from Dayton, IN. 6 miles from Mulberry in between Mulberry and Lafayette.

Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin of Guns N Roses are from Lafayette.

Kyle Cook, guitarist for Matchbox 20 is from Frankfort (6 miles from Mulberry I believe).

Quote:
Notable residents and natives

For notable residents associated with Purdue University see List of Purdue University people

[edit] Entertainment

* Richard Barbee - Vaudevillian stage actor, silent film comedic actor [7]
* Karen Black - Actress
* Jeremy Camp - Christian recording artist
* Embeth Davidtz - Actress
* Mitch Henck - Radio talk show host
* Louise Fazenda - Silent film comic actress, character actress in the "talkies"
* Kevin Galbraith - Professional Dancer on MTV's "The Grind" and "Prince" (also former guitarist of "Rattail Grenadier")
* Mass Giorgini - Record producer (Alkaline Trio, Anti-Flag, Rise Against) and bassist of Screeching Weasel, bassist and vocalist of Squirtgun, and bassist and saxophonist of Common Rider
* Jason Groth - Guitarist for Magnolia Electric Company
* Shannon Hoon - Former singer of Blind Melon
* Michael Kelsey - Solo guitarist
* John Korty - Director, screenwriter, best known for Oliver's Story
* Tammy Lynn Michaels - Actress
* Zachariah Nagy - Musician, producer, guitar tech for Joan Jett
* Justin Richard - Musician, Song Writer, Lead guitarist for local band Old School
* Sydney Pollack - Actor, director, and producer
* Victor Potel - Silent film actor, worked for Mack Sennett and was "Slippery Slim" in the "Snakeville" series [8]
* Axl Rose - Guns N' Roses co-founder and vocalist
* Churchill Ross (Ross Weigle) - actor, mostly small parts from 1924-1936
* Peter Sattler - graphic designer for the feature film Walk the Line[9]
* Julia Scheeres - Author, best known for ALA Alex Award winning memoir Jesus Land
* Lori Sellers - Pianist, poet, philanthropist. Currently residing in Toledo, OH.
* Izzy Stradlin - Guns N' Roses rhythm guitarist
* Adam Vanderwielen - Actor [10]

[edit] Sports

* Ray Ewry - Ten-time Olympic champion
* Chuckie Nwokorie - NFL defensive player and Lafayette Jefferson High School graduate
* George Souders - Indy 500 Winner in 1927. Won the race in his rookie year.
* Bernard "Bernie" Flowers - Purdue All American and NFL Baltimore Colts 1950s, born in the Cleveland area, made Lafayette home.
* Dustin Keller - Purdue football tight end 2004 - 2007, MVP 2007, NFL Draft prospect 2008. Born and raised in Lafayette, attended and graduated from Lafayette Jefferson High School. In high school, star athlete in basketball, football and track. Leading football wide receiver in state, senior year in high school. Won state high jump in track in junior and senior seasons.

[edit] Business, law, politics

* Roger D. Branigin - Indiana Governor 1965-1969
* Steve Carter - Indiana Attorney General
* Brian Lamb - Host of "Booknotes" TV series, 1989. C-SPAN founder
* John Purdue - Purdue Block, Tippecanoe County founder, founding benefactor of Purdue University
* Alvah C. Roebuck - founded Sears, Roebuck and Company
* Clara Shortridge Foltz (1849-1934) - first woman lawyer on the Pacific coast.

[edit] Academic, science, technology

* Daniel X Freedman - pioneer in biological psychiatry, discovered link of hallucinogens to brain transmitters.
* Donald E. Williams - astronaut

For the girly American Idol viewers (Geoff, etc.)
Mulberry:
 Quote:
American Idol Season 7 contestant Amanda Overmyer.
Posted By: Santino Brasi

Re: Where your from - 04/13/08 06:31 AM

chopper, your my brother, and I love you... but never make another typo in the name of a thread again... never

Re: Where your from - 04/13/08 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Santino_Brasi
chopper, your my brother, and I love you... but never make another typo in the name of a thread again... never

What about the exact same "typo" in your reply?
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Where your from - 04/13/08 10:58 AM

Born in Jersey City, NJ - lots of corruption there over the years. When I was 3 we moved to the suburbs, Pearl River, NY - "the town of friendly people." Big Paulie of Orange County Chopper was a neighbor, 2 years younger than me, a casual aquaintance. Pearl River today has a very large Irish population and boasts the 2nd largest St. Patrick's Day parade in the country.

Lived most of my married life in Suffern, NY. Suffern has a large Avon building; research and development. Both Pearl River and Suffern are suburbs of NY City - 45 minutes to Manhattan.

Now I'm in Egg Harbor Twp, NJ, famous for nothing that I know of. 10 miles to Atlantic City.
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: Where your from - 04/13/08 04:11 PM

Live in North Jersey right outside of Jersey City.

ds

Re: Where your from - 04/13/08 05:05 PM

Were you born in Jersey DS?
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Where your from - 04/13/08 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Geoff, I can't say I have heard Tom's River before. You've been there all your life? ...

I grew up knowing about Toms River, NJ.

My aunt & uncle moved there early in their marriage almost 60 years ago when it was very sparsely populated. My uncle got a job working for the Garden State Parkway and was somehow able to retire quite comfortably at age 60. He tried to talk my parents into moving us down there, where he could've gotten my 'former marine' father a good job with the police dept. For some reason my dad preferred working in a factory and renting cheap from his in-laws to providing his family a better life and so that never happened.

Anyway, we visited about once a year and as a kid I remember seeing nothing but wooded area behind their backyard...where my Italain uncle planted and still plants tomato/basil/peppers/cucumber etc. annually. I remember passing a few stores and 'Toms River Liquours' on Route 37 on the way to their house. The liquor store was the landmark my father used to know at which jughandle to make the turn.

In the early 1970's other relatives moved down there and by then lots of building and modernizing was going on. That uncle got a good job w/ Toms River Chemical. They started calling our North Jersey area 'The City', because still seemed so quiet & peaceful down there, except of course at tourist time during the summer shore season. Again, our family was beckoned down to take part in the abundant opportunities but not enough motivation to relocate in either of our parents.

Now we drive down there to visit BOTH families and Rte. 37 seems as bustling as any major highway up here. Plenty of businesses, houses and unlike those early days, probably not an acre of undeveloped property!!

And to think...but for a decision that was not mine to make, I could've been a part of it all!!!!

Me???? Born & raised in Palisades Park, NJ...NOT home of the famous 'Palisades Amusement Park', home of the (then) 'World's Largest Saltwater Pool', in which I never got a chance to swim

It which was actually located in Cliffside Park, where high rise apartment buildings now reside.

Did anyone actually get through this streamofconsciousness post?????

Apple

Re: Where your from - 04/13/08 06:31 PM

It was interesting to me! ;\) My folks moved down here in the early 60's -- a brand new hospital was opened in 1961 (my dad's a retired doctor). (The hospital has grown a lot since then, and is now part of the Saint Barnabas Health Care System). While that was a few years before I was born, I still remember lots of farms and chicken coops (there are still some!), and my mom said the now-major Hooper Avenue going to Bricktown was a dirt road then! \:o We used to have a drive-in theater on Rte 37 many years ago. We now probably have more storage facility places than anywhere on earth it seems. And between here and Manchester probably have as many senior citizen communities as Florida (slight exaggeration).

According to wiki the population was under 8,000 in 1950, over 17,000 ten years later, almost 44,000 by 1970, and estimated to be about 95,000 today. And driving around, it's easy to notice!

Yet, it's still very green here with lots of woods and wildlife (click on the Satellite (Sat) link below and scroll around).

View Larger Map

Re: Where your from - 04/14/08 07:10 AM

http://www.judandk.force9.co.uk/worksop.html

A little about the work houses in my area

Re: Where your from - 04/14/08 01:33 PM

The old work houses eh?

Gods i bet they were grim \:\/
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Where your from - 04/14/08 02:01 PM

Hey TIS - a fellow Michiganer. I was born in Iron Mountain, moved to Syracuse, NY when I was 12 and now live in Southern NJ just outside of Philadelphia. Iron Mountain is a small town in the Upper Peninsula about 100 miles north of Green Bay - everyone in town is a Packer fan!
Posted By: Sicilian1

Re: Where your from - 04/14/08 05:45 PM

I was born & raised in Hartford,CT. Not a lot happens here. The trouble with Hartford is that we are stuck between New Haven,CT. and Springfield,MA. Here is our beautiful city:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Hartford_Connecticut_Skyline.JPG

Re: Where your from - 04/14/08 05:49 PM

The old work houses eh?

Definetly i wouldnt have fancied working in them,they were very hard times \:\(

Re: Where your from - 04/14/08 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: chopper
The old work houses eh?

Definetly i wouldnt have fancied working in them,they were very hard times \:\(

Crybaby Worksopians. \:p

Re: Where your from - 04/14/08 05:51 PM

Posted By: klydon1

Re: Where your from - 04/14/08 07:37 PM

I was born in the Borough of Dunmore, PA. It was a working class town, which was mostly Irish, Italian and Polish. It's in the northeastern part of the state, which was a big coal region, so one thing my friends and I had in common was that our grandfathers and great-grandfathers were coal miners.

There was virtually no crime in the community. The church that I attended was, and still is, the only Catholic cathedral in the world without steps (St. Mary's).

Here is a link explaining the town. They mentioned some notable people from Dunmore. I went to school with Paul Richards, the astronaut. On our youth football team he was right guard while I was left guard. Nestor Chylak, the Hall of Fame baseball umpire, was also a well known resident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunmore%2C_Pennsylvania

Re: Where your from - 04/14/08 07:41 PM

Ah, you're practically a New Yorker, Klyd. I used to go out to Scranton quite a bit. My cousin had a "country" home there. Nice.

Re: Where your from - 04/14/08 07:55 PM

Ah, you're practically a New Yorker, Klyd. I used to go out to Scranton quite a bit. My cousin had a "country" home there. Nice.

We're neighbors! \:\) Whereabouts in the Scranton area would you visit? I'm guessing the Poconos, which are about 20 minutes from where I grew up.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Where your from - 04/15/08 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
I was born in the Borough of Dunmore, PA. It was a working class town, which was mostly Irish, Italian and Polish. It's in the northeastern part of the state, which was a big coal region, so one thing my friends and I had in common was that our grandfathers and great-grandfathers were coal miners.

Dunmore, PA the home of my in-laws (not anymore). They lived on Bunker Hill. Rt 81 goes through where their house was. My wife's grandmother (Irish) married an Italian, whose family ran a boarding house for Italian coal-miners. She lived in the boarding house and learned to speak Italian. When I met her she was about 70 yrs. old. She had an Irish brogue and could speak Italian. You could listen to her stories of Bunker Hill for hours. The Irish brogue peppered with Italian curse words and a bunch that she made up. Quite a lady.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Where your from - 04/15/08 01:29 AM

Gateshead; over the river from Yogi. It's alright, just like anywhere else - what your mind makes of it, I suppose. Good things, bad things; same with the people.

I moved away for uni, to Norwich.

I need to escape.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Where your from - 04/15/08 04:52 AM

An ancestor of mine...Amos xxxxx played John Purdue in a poker game. The winner would name the university after themselves and the loser would get a building.

xxxxx Hall at Purdue University frown

Here's the official story:
Quote:
The story of xxxxx Hall is one of my favorites -- In the fall of 1892, a wealthy Frankfort, Indiana, bachelor named Amos xxxxx donated $35,000 to the university to build a new engineering laboratory which included within its walls a real Schenectady Engine. Dedicated on January 19, 1894, this new facility was the pride of the University as well as the state ... however ... four days later, a gas explosion in the new laboratory's boiler room enveloped almost the entire building. Unfortunately, the horse-drawn fire engine could not pull the heavy equipment up State Street hill and the building was destroyed. University President Smart, undaunted, immediately began clean up the next day and by December 4, 1895 a brand new building, nearly an exact replica of the one lost, was formally opened. The difference ... the new tower was nine rows of bricks taller and the clock with chimes was added to the tower (the original tower had three openings across the top while center opening in the new tower held the clock, as seen in the picture). Though students today probably don't realize it, the current "Tower" is a remembrance of xxxxx Hall ... both of them.

Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Where your from - 04/15/08 11:23 AM

Ha! Good story.

Re: Where your from - 04/15/08 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas

Dunmore, PA the home of my in-laws (not anymore). They lived on Bunker Hill. Rt 81 goes through where their house was. My wife's grandmother (Irish) married an Italian, whose family ran a boarding house for Italian coal-miners. She lived in the boarding house and learned to speak Italian. When I met her she was about 70 yrs. old. She had an Irish brogue and could speak Italian. You could listen to her stories of Bunker Hill for hours. The Irish brogue peppered with Italian curse words and a bunch that she made up. Quite a lady.

I know the area well. My first job was delivering groceries in 7th grade for a local grocer/butcher, named Vito Ianelli, and we had many deliveries in Bunker Hill. My friend, who also delivered groceries, and I were driven by a small, old balding man, known as Nick, the Greek. All I remember about him was that he would mumble to himself a lot, and would laugh occasionally for no apparent reason.

Recently, I stopped at a new lunch spot in Dunmore Corners, called Cara Mia (next to the Candy Kitchen, which is still in business, MC). The place makes phenomenol sandwiches, soups and breads. The menu included a note from the owner, who explains that in addition to studying the culinary arts in Hyde Park, she learned a great deal from her great-uncle Vito Ianelli.

I felt like asking her if she needed a delivery boy.

Re: Where your from - 04/15/08 02:15 PM

We're neighbors! \:\) Whereabouts in the Scranton area would you visit? I'm guessing the Poconos, which are about 20 minutes from where I grew up.

It was in Scranton, close to this locally famous diner we'd often go to while intoxicated---lol---Chuck's or Chick's, I'm not sure which. I'll call him later to find out.

Re: Where your from - 04/15/08 02:40 PM

It was in Scranton, close to this locally famous diner we'd often go to while intoxicated---lol---Chuck's or Chick's, I'm not sure which. I'll call him later to find out.

It's Chick's Diner, one of the local landmarks. Coincidentally, Chick's Diner is a client of mine in workers' compensation. It's a pretty good diner, pizzaboy.

I guess your cousin lived in Southside.

Re: Where your from - 04/15/08 02:44 PM

His place was literally two minutes from there. GREAT diner, ton of food!

Re: Where your from - 04/15/08 07:53 PM

His place was literally two minutes from there. GREAT diner, ton of food!

The owners are wonderful people too. It's a family business, and theywant more than anything that their customers are satisfied.
Posted By: Santino Brasi

Re: Where your from - 04/16/08 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff
 Originally Posted By: Santino_Brasi

What about the exact same "typo" in your reply?

I know, that was the irony to it, get a sense of irony will ya?
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Where your from - 04/16/08 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Don Marco
Hey TIS - a fellow Michiganer. I was born in Iron Mountain, moved to Syracuse, NY when I was 12 and now live in Southern NJ just outside of Philadelphia. Iron Mountain is a small town in the Upper Peninsula about 100 miles north of Green Bay - everyone in town is a Packer fan!

Don Marco,

I didn't know you were from Michigan (or if you mentioned it before, I don't remember). Anyway, I can't say know of Iron Mountain. I was only in the UP a couple times. However, my nephews are avid hunters and they have a place in the UP they go to. Not sure what city though. Winters would be way way to snowy/cold for my taste. \:\/ But it is pretty.

TIS
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET