Home

William F. Buckley Dead

Posted By: dontomasso

William F. Buckley Dead - 02/27/08 05:16 PM

The man who many credit as the faher of the conserviative movement was found dead at his home in Connecticut this morning. Buckley, the founder of The National Revie, and a brilliant sharp tongued debater for most of his adult life was responsible for showing the American people the intellectual basis for conservatism that paved the way for the emergence of a Republican majority in the latter part of the last century, probably paeking during the administration of ROnald Reagan in the '80's.

RIP
Posted By: Mignon

Re: William F. Buckley Dead - 02/27/08 06:00 PM

RIP Mr. Buckley
Posted By: Snake

Re: William F. Buckley Dead - 02/27/08 09:57 PM

Rest in peace, William. One of the brightest brains on the planet. \:\(
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: William F. Buckley Dead - 02/27/08 10:39 PM

Buckley was an interesting if underrated presence in American politics of the 20th century.

His NATIONAL REVIEW was the seabed for the re-emergence of the Conservative Majority, by forcing business conservatives/libertarians discuss and debate through their articles what exactly is "American Conservatism."

Sadly, the magazine went from an open forum of a publication to that of a neo-con wanker piece that don't provoke the refreshment of an ideology.

What intrigued me always with NATIONAL REVIEW was that conservatism, as ideology is traditionally, its never static. Consider back in 1996 when WFB and NR outright declared support for pot legalization, or more recent, Buckley's opposition to the War in Iraq.

Even if WFB did some things I didn't like...from supporting ole hot-head drunk Senator McCarthy to opposing Civil Rights legislation to hating the Beatles to his distasteful AIDS proposal...

Hell, that whole NATIONAL REVIEW sub-culture getting together in late 40s/early 50s would make for an interesting historical drama, if only because its about ideology over time, and its impact in domestic/international politics...and everything is 20/20 hindsight.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: William F. Buckley Dead - 02/28/08 12:18 AM

An incredible mind and command of the language. He was a gifted debater, and whether I agreed with him or not, I would always listen to what he had to say.

He is also credited with securing Gordon Liddy's release from prison years sooner than what his sentence was.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: William F. Buckley Dead - 03/02/08 05:30 AM

"Sam Tanenhaus, author of a much anticipated biography, says Buckley couldn't bear Ann Coulter."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-curry/bill-buckley_b_88847.html
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: William F. Buckley Dead - 03/04/08 10:10 PM

That's what happens when you add intelligence to an argument, Coulter doesn't like you..
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET