Home

Your First Vote

Posted By: pizzaboy

Your First Vote - 02/21/08 05:21 PM

The excitement of the primaries got me thinking of the first time I ever voted, both locally and Presidential.

In 1977, the first year I was eligible to vote, I voted for Mario Cuomo against Ed Koch in the New York City Mayoralty election. Koch had beaten Cuomo in the democratic primary, but Cuomo ran against him in the general election anyway. He got his ass handed to him nearly two-and-a-half to one.

In 1980, my first Presidential vote was cast for a then 69 years young fella by the name of Ronald Reagan. In my opinion he was probably the best president that I ever cast a vote for.

Anyone remember their first time?
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 05:39 PM

Reagan '84 -- He won every state except for Minnesota and (freakin') Washington, D.C.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 05:40 PM

Reagan 1980.

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Reagan '84 -- He won every state except for Minnesota and (freakin') Washington, D.C.

Fritz, Fritz, Fritz!!!

Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 06:04 PM

Mine was also Reagan in 1980.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 06:05 PM

In another thread I mentioned that my first vote in 1982 went to Allen Ertel for governor, and 20 years later he and I had a case together .

For my first presidential vote, I voted for Walter Mondale in 1984. I knew he didn't have a prayer.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 06:40 PM

I'm so old that I can't remember? Who ran in 72??? I think perhaps that was my first election. Don't feel like checking. I know it wasn't Lincoln though. \:p

TIS

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 06:42 PM

Nixon was re-elected in '72.

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 06:44 PM

Well I know I didn't vote for Nixon. Was it McGovern who ran against him??????

TIS
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 07:07 PM

I've been able to vote for nearly three years, and still haven't. \:\/

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 07:10 PM

Capo, Why? Are you unmotivated? Do you not care? Are you just too lazy? Too disinterested?

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 07:29 PM

I don't know about the UK, but I have always been shocked at the lack of interest in voting here in the U.S. Granted, I don't always like the candidates, and have, at times held my nose choosing the lesser of two evils. I get tired of the throat slashing ads, and I don't agree with our electoral college/courts deciding the election, but I have always voted, feeling it was not only a right but a duty.
Yet, I must say, I can understand why many feel as though their vote doesn't matter...especially when the popular vote doesn't matter. \:\/

TIS
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

same here, turned 18 in 2002 and still havn't voted. Im voting BNP next time

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 07:36 PM

I always felt that if you couldn't be bothered to take part in the process, then you haven't earned the right to complain.

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I always felt that if you couldn't be bothered to take part in the process, then you haven't earned the right to complain.

Amen to that.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 07:40 PM

Its not that i cant be bothered, thers no party worth voting for they promise things they will do when they get into power and then don't. All polititions are crooks .

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 07:41 PM

That's true SB, but why do you suppose our voter turn-out here in the U.S. is what 40 per cent or something like that??? Why aren't people voting?? Any speculations on the reasons?

TIS

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 07:44 PM

It really is amazing.

I always though the criminal element might have something to do with it, but did you know that felons are allowed to vote in most states?

As long as they're not incarcerated or currently on parole, they can vote here in New York.

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 07:50 PM

Really? I never knew that.

I know that years ago people didn't register to vote because they supposedly used registration rolls for jury summonses. My daughter is able to vote in this presidential election, and by chance she had civics this year. She had to watch many of the debates as assignments, so she's been involved in the race from the start. I think the timing was perfect, as she is completely involved in her first election.

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 07:54 PM

Really? I never knew that.

Here's an interesting article on the subject.

Felons Voting Rights
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 07:55 PM

My first vote was absentee ballott for Reagan '84
Posted By: olivant

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Well I know I didn't vote for Nixon. Was it McGovern who ran against him??????

TIS

Edmund Muskie.
Posted By: SC

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I'm so old that I can't remember? Who ran in 72??? I think perhaps that was my first election. Don't feel like checking. I know it wasn't Lincoln though.

Nixon - McGovern. That was my first presidential election.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 08:54 PM

I have always voted but i seriously can't remember my first vote

I know it was'nt a General election,possibly a local council vote.
Does'nt matter who got my vote either,they are all crooks in one way or another...

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 10:37 PM

Come to think of it, in 4th Grade we had a mock election and I voted for Ford over Carter... does that count?
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Your First Vote - 02/21/08 11:35 PM

We had the same election Geoffy but I voted for Carter cuz that's who my parents voted for.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 12:08 AM

My daughter is able to vote in this presidential election, and by chance she had civics this year. She had to watch many of the debates as assignments, so she's been involved in the race from the start. I think the timing was perfect, as she is completely involved in her first election.

My son will also be voting, for the first time, in this years Presidential election SB.

It reminds me of when I first voted. As I said earlier it was in 1980 which happened to be a Presidential election year and I voted for Reagan. I had followed the campaigns and debates that entire year. Come to think of it, with what had happened to our country, our economy, the oil crisis, and the hostage situation, most people were probably caught up in that years presidential debates, campagins and the race in general. The country was at a really really bad time back then, and the moral of the people was at an all time historic low. Thank goodness for three things that happpened : Hockey Team USA beat the Russians and went on to win the gold in the Olympics ( that was a serious moral booster for our country and it's people), Ronald Reagan knocked Jimmy Carter out of office and on inauguration day, the hostages were released!

Doesn't it seem like only last week that these events took place? \:o

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 01:41 AM

I agree in a way; I'm of the 'philosophy' that - the age I am and the situation I'm in - whoever is in charge won't make a significant difference to my life. Whatever complaints I might (or do) have, won't be solved by the candidates available.

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO

I went through a brief phase of attraction to the BNP, but I'm afraid I can't relate to them much now. They don't do themselves any favours; whatever qualms they might have about the country's policy on immigrants - and how that in turn leads to cheap labour and a lot of people being out of jobs all of a sudden because foreigners replace them for cheaper - are marred by outright fascism and (to be frank) quite "thick" policies. The BNP is run by quite stupid people, really. If they ever got in office, the social xenophobia with which they got their position could be quite dangerous.

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 01:51 AM

Briefly for us Americans, what's BNP and what's the alternative?

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 02:09 AM

Capo, while I agree that the current candidates may not be able to address your areas of concern, then why don't you volunteer for organizations that do? If you're big deal is civil freedoms, then why don't you work with an organization that could utilize your skills? You're a talented writer, why don't you offer your speech-writing skills. This way, you can actually work on shaping the future.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 02:25 AM

Dubya
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 03:37 AM

My first election I voted for Bob Dole in '96. But that charming husbitch of Hilary Clinton won.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 03:51 AM

My first vote was for Lyndon B. Johnson for President in '64. That year, I also voted to re-elect Kenneth B. Keating as US Senator from New York.
Posted By: SC

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 08:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
My first vote was for Lyndon B. Johnson for President in '64.

You sure it wasn't ANDREW Johnson??? \:p
Posted By: chopper

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO

I have always voted BNP,i joined them a few years ago made myself a member check out there website it's pretty good

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 05:15 PM

Capo, while I agree that the current candidates may not be able to address your areas of concern, then why don't you volunteer for organizations that do? If you're big deal is civil freedoms, then why don't you work with an organization that could utilize your skills? You're a talented writer, why don't you offer your speech-writing skills. This way, you can actually work on shaping the future.

Hey, leave me alone!

All of the great world thinkers have been outside of politics, for me. They've been politically active insofar that they've resisted political circles. I'm not good at writing speeches. Civil freedoms may or may not be my concern; I don't know. I don't really have any concerns. I'm an artist. \:p

Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Briefly for us Americans, what's BNP and what's the alternative?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_National_Party

White nationalist, far-right organisation; "There's no black in the Union Jack" and all that other crap.

I think it's enough for me to say that they believe in biological inferiority (or inherent behavioural patterns) according to race. Yeah, leave me out of that sort of argument, thanks.

They're the first to insist they're not fascists, but I don't really see how they're not.

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

Jackson?

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Longneck

Jackson?

Jesse?

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1

Jackson?

Jesse?

James?

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 09:57 PM

Jackson?

Jesse?

James?

Madison?

Re: Your First Vote - 02/22/08 10:12 PM

Jackson?

Jesse?

James?

Madison?

Hedgecock?
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: Your First Vote - 02/23/08 06:07 AM

Jackson?

Jesse?

James?

Madison?

Hedgecock?

, Roger?

Re: Your First Vote - 02/23/08 07:14 AM

CUT THE SHIT PLEASE

Re: Your First Vote - 02/23/08 01:11 PM

So, as far as posts with substance go, I'm the rotten egg!
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: Your First Vote - 02/25/08 02:35 AM

my 1st vote was for Dole
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: Your First Vote - 03/03/08 06:03 AM

Can't remember locally but my first presidential election was. Back in 1988 I voted for George Bush over Michael Dukakis.
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Your First Vote - 03/04/08 10:00 PM

First election was a few months ago where I voted in favor of Kenning for County Supervisor, and then Allen for County Attorney a few weeks later. Hopefully my next vote will be for Barack in November (along with Senator Harkin).
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET