Home

Quitting Smoking

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 12:50 PM

I know many have tried, some suceed and some don't.

Well, I took the plunge. It's only been two months but hopefully the worse is over. I haven't even told my kids and they haven't even noticed that mom hasn't stepped outside for a smoke, or so it seems. I have only mentioned it to my boss only after going to lunch with her when she assumed I'd be in the office after a quick smoke. Anyway, I am not saying anything because "if" I had a cigaret and mess up, I'd feel like an idiot. So I figure I'll be an idiot here on the BB should I go "off the wagon."

Why now? Two reasons really. I wasn't feeling very healthy. I didn't like not being able to catch my breath. But, the main reason for me was this. I have a cousin (the daughter of my great aunt who recently died from a fall)who was/is a very heavy smoker. Well, it started out a couple years ago where she had to be on oxygen for several hours a day; now it's 24/7 and she has been diagnosed with lung cancer and given a year to live. \:\(
What's worse, my sister tells me that many people have the attitude that she brought it on herself and imply that she deserves it. Granted, we take the risk, but man, to say someone deserves it is pretty low.

I have heard many stories like this. Why now, I don't know. This scared me into quitting and I do want to stay with it. This is the most serious attempt I've ever made to quit. I have I think an unusual system I used, which I'll go into later if anyone is interested. All I can say is it worked for me (hopefully)

TIS
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 12:53 PM

A big, big, big congrats and well wishes to you TIS.
Posted By: chopper

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 12:57 PM

Congratulations TIS i am truly pleased for you i have smoked since i was 12 years old (i know very bad but i liked a girl that was older than me and she smoked so you can see where im going with this) and i am nearly 23 i have tried so many times to stop and it goes ok until i go to the pub and as soon as i have one pint then i automatically buy a pack of cigs and smoke to my hearts content i am just facing the fact now that i cant ever see myself stopping plus i do really enjoy smoking when i have a pint,anyway well done and keep up the good work! and yes i would like to know what system you use

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 01:02 PM

A HUGE test for me (as any smoker can tell you) was last month when I went to Vegas. Can you even imagine gambling, drinking (although I admit, I really didn't drink that much) without a cig????? \:o I can't believe I did it.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 01:06 PM

Wow gambling an drinking at the same time i would a have lit a cig as soon as i got there ! impresive for you though
Posted By: goombah

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 01:45 PM

Good for you, TIS. I hope you can do it and it sounds like Vegas was a test you passed with flying colors.

My mom was forced to stop 2 years ago when she was diagnosed with cancer (not lung). It has greatly improved her health, breathing, and well-being. Plus it's nice to take our kids to grandma's house and not have it stink like an ashtray.

Posted By: XDCX

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 02:02 PM

A hearty congratulations to you, TIS. I'm so very proud of you. It's a big thing for a smoker to quit, as for many smokers, it's an almost impossible feat. You should be very proud of yourself being smoke-free for 2 months!

Smoking seems to be an epidemic in my family. Nearly everyone in my family smokes (or used to smoke.) My grandmother died at the young age of 59 from lung cancer that metastasized to her brain, and it was from smoking. My grandfather quit the year I was born. My stepmom quit over a year ago.

My dad, unfortunately...doesn't seem to have the willpower, and he is an absolute slave to his addiction. He goes through 2 cartons a week. That's 400 cigarettes in 7 days. He smokes more out of habit and boredom than actual pleasure, now. It's a sad thing to see, because he's nearing that fateful age of my grandmother's death. \:\(

Again, TIS, congratulations. And hopefully you can be an inspiration to anyone else out there who wants to quit, and just doesn't know how! \:\)
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 02:02 PM

Well done TIS
Fortuneately gambling and drinking are my only vices
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I know many have tried, some suceed and some don't. Well, I took the plunge.
TIS

Now you've inspired me!

Tell you what I'm going to do TIS. I'm going to join you. Let's stay in support of each other and set New Years Day 2008 as our goal date to stay smoke free! (and of course continue to from then on.)

But we'll make it interesting. Starting with and counting tomorrow there are 133 days left in the year. If we both preservere until New Years Day, than we each make a donation to a charity of our choice in the amount of $133.

If one of us stays the course and the other one doesn't then the one who doesn't has to make a $266 donation to the charity picked by the one who preservered.

So we'll make tomorrow the official starting date.

Waddya say me lady?
Posted By: whisper

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 03:57 PM

I've tried...ummm who knows,but i d o want to know TIS,is what is your method to quitting?

Let me know.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 04:13 PM

That's great, TIS! I'd love to hear your method.

I almost did it last weekend when I was with family in Annapolis. I don't smoke in front of them (in fact, they think I'm still quit from the last time years ago I think \:\/ ) but I was chewing Nicorette like a horse. lol At the 36-hour point, though, once I got home, the biggest problem set in: normal routine. \:\/ I then said I'd have one as a "reward", but we know how that goes...

Just take it one day at a time, and be VERY careful not to have "just one" -- cuz that "just one" didn't work for me, even the time I had gone a few months... \:\/ Think of the benefits: not just health reasons, but also the fact that you can taste food better, you save a ton of money, your house and clothes don't stink, you're not standing out in the rain or snow like a jackass, etc... ;\)

DC - TIS has a 2-month head start on you, don't forget -- you'd have to pay more ;\)

Posted By: bogey

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 05:23 PM

Congrats TIS.. I'd like to hear your method as well.
Posted By: svsg

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 05:27 PM

congrats TIS \:\)
Posted By: SC

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 05:27 PM

Good for you TIS!!!

I had my doctor prescribe me something to help me stop... he gave me a prescription for Chantix (some people swear by it). I developed severe headaches after taking it for a few days ("headaches" are listed as one its possible side-effects) so I told my doctor who had me discontinue it.

I'd like to stop but I dunno if I can do it right now (on my own).

Anyway, good luck to ya, TIS.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

DC - TIS has a 2-month head start on you, don't forget -- you'd have to pay more ;\)

That's fine with me. I'll gladly give an extra two months ($60 )from my end. I just really want to stop. And I figure that TIS and I would encourage each other, and anyone else who wants to quit from here (cough**ahem**Geoff*ahem**SC**Cough) for that matter.

Why don't we try to get as many people that smoke on here to get in this thing that I've proposed? It's will be good for all of us health wise, financially, and the donations that we make would serve a good cause.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 05:57 PM

I would,but i know myself and i have a pathetic amount of will power.
I want to quit,but the flesh is weak.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: whisper the don from down under

Thinking like that, you're already defeated. ;\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Thinking like that, you're already defeated. ;\)

True.
I really would love to do it,but do we have to start tomorrow? ;\)
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 06:04 PM

I have a friend who was the worst chain smoker in the world; anyways, he was on this pill for about two-months, and now he doesn't smoke. It's the most bizarre concept I've heard of in a while; a prescription medicine that allows you to stop smoking. What's even crazier to me is that it actually worked.

There was actually a time, about halfway through the treatment, in which he did decide to just go for a cigarette, but the minute he started smoking it, he told me that it "isn't the same" and then he said he didn't really want it, so he put it out after one or two drags.

Well, anyway, that's my story. Good for you, TIS. \:\)
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/20/07 07:04 PM

I was scanning through really old threads and found this one. Stop Smoking Support Thread

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 12:13 AM

TIS

Now you've inspired me!

Tell you what I'm going to do TIS. I'm going to join you. Let's stay in support of each other and set New Years Day 2008 as our goal date to stay smoke free! (and of course continue to from then on.)

But we'll make it interesting. Starting with and counting tomorrow there are 133 days left in the year. If we both preservere until New Years Day, than we each make a donation to a charity of our choice in the amount of $133.

If one of us stays the course and the other one doesn't then the one who doesn't has to make a $266 donation to the charity picked by the one who preservered.

Waddya say me lady?

C'mon TIS, give me a yes or no answer soon please! I had my last cigarette earlier this afternoon and right now am going out of my mind for one!

I need group supprt here!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
I was scanning through really old threads and found this one. Stop Smoking Support Thread

Thanks for reminding me that I failed, Blib! \:p lol

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 12:44 AM

I need group supprt here!

Group hug time! {{{{{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 01:05 AM

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and replies. I smoke (smoked) about a pack a day. I get paid once a month and would buy three cartons (30 packs) of cigs for the month. The last cartons I purchased was May 30th. It was into June when I seemed to have a hard time ctaching my breath that I seriously considered quitting. Of course in CA this is a very smoggy time of year and that I'm sure was part of it. \:\/ So roughly 2nd week or so in June is when I started to try.

Keep in mind that everyone is different, some people smoke way more and some way less and frame of mind and "readiness" play a huge part in a decision like this. I by no means will say I've quit and from what I hear it "can" be a lifelong craving. I'm not at an "I did it" place at all.

I started first, by cutting down the number of smokes in a day. Instead of smoking 4 cigs on my way to work (I have an hour drive), I made it 2 and same on the way back with 2 during lunch and 4 to 5 in the evening. You think I was goiing nuts on the drives? I had a certain landmark I'd pass that more or less gave me permission to light that first or second cigaret. I immediately noticed how difficult it would be. Yet, that cutting it in half right there, even if it sounds like more.

After about a week I would light up a cigaret and not inhale it. I know I know. Anyone who smokes knows it's the inhaling that is the refreshing part. That was the hardest part. It simply wasn't satisfying. For a couple days, I'd take one or two drags from the cigaret but that's it. Then I'd put it out. I guess I did that for about a week or maybe less. Finally I simply lit a cigaret and didn't smoke it. I know, again sounds weird. I'd let it burn down yet and it's tempting. Don't know if it's the surrounding smoke or what that I need as a crutch or not. In Vegas, I did that one time. I had a margarita in my hand was by myself at the time and I walked down the street lit a smoke and simply let it burn out. Never did take a drag.

It's been about two months now and it's probably been about 1 week since I let a cigaret burn out. However, on May 30th I purchased 3 cartons of Salem lites and I have a carton and a half (actually seven packs in the second carton) left. I know I'm making progess.

Sorry for being so lengthy. I'll call it good therapy just to write about it.

Thanks

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 01:25 AM

TIS

Now you've inspired me!

Waddya say me lady?

DC,

I'll give it a shot. It really isn't fair though that I've got a 2 month jump on you. How about if I go through March. Would that even things out?

Another thing, what if (and I mean "if") one of us falls off and has one smoke or even two or if I say DC I couldn't resist and had two hits of a cigaret. How do we handle something like that. Is it an automatic loss? I won't complain mind you, but just checking the ground rules. You know how serious quitting is....and add a little cash to the equation and whoa!!!!

Good luck DC!!!

Giving to a charity is a good idea. I know logically the heart association and or cancer are great causes. "I always took a special interest in a cure for alzheimers. I think that's what I'd choose. But hey, got a long long way to go!!!!

Does holding an unlit cig in my hand count??? "The heat is on!"

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 01:32 AM

We have to trust each other and be on the honor system. NO SLIP UPS! One drag of a lit cigarette and that's it! We fess up.

An unlit cig does not count against you.

We also have to be on the honor system that if either of us falls off the wagon, we'll send the money to the charity of the winner's choice. Or when we both make it to the target date, we'll trust each other to send the money to the respective charities of our own choice.

No need for you to go until March. New Years Day is fine for both of us.......

..... that's if we make it!

And I again applaud you for doing it for two months now. Way to go!

NOW LET'S DO IT!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 01:35 AM

DC

It's a deal. Don't worry, I let you know if I mess up. If I fall off the wagon, I'll kick my own ass on the BB for all to see. I'd be pissed!!!

Are you going cold turkey then???? No gradual cutdown?? \:o

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 01:45 AM

COLD TURKEY!

I had my last cigarette earlier this afternoon and do not have anymore left.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 01:47 AM

Good luck DC! You CAN do it!!!! \:\)

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 02:16 AM

COLD TURKEY!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I'll give you a tongue lashing just for quitting. Is it a deal?
Posted By: olivant

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 02:25 AM

I've never understood the desire to smoke. When I was a kid I tried it. It was harsh, the smoke bothered me, and it was hot. That cured me. I didn't care how cool it was. Both my parents smoked and my older brother and sister and just about every one of our neighbors. So, it was the norm. I had the same experience with liquor. As a kid I drank some anisette from time to time, and that cured me of wanting liquor.

So, good luck.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 02:30 AM

Good luck DC!! (And thank God you're doing this AFTER the weekend or we may've had to hurt you for being a bitch! ;\) )

I wish you both the best of perseverance! Please keep us posted - you never know, it might encourage others. Even myself!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
I've never understood the desire to smoke. When I was a kid I tried it. It was harsh, the smoke bothered me, and it was hot. That cured me.

When I was a kid I thought it was disgusting. I tried a puff off my mom's from the ashtray and nearly died. I'd hear my mom hacking in the bathroom, and I'd put her cigarettes out. She smoked for a long time, and with my encouragement, quit cold turkey and has been smoke free for at least 25 years. (Thank goodness, because otherwise she probably wouldn't be with us today at age 78). I'm sure it wasn't easy for her, but she never seemed to complain about it. I'm sure I probably disappointed her when I started as a teenager -- the rest of the band smoked, so how could I not look so *cool*

Originally Posted By: olivant
I had the same experience with liquor. As a kid I drank some anisette from time to time, and that cured me of wanting liquor.

I never had that "problem" ;\)
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 02:44 AM

TIS & DC -

Best of luck to the both of you. You both need to be commended for wanting to give up smoking. I know that you will be able to do it one day at a time.

GO TIS
GO DC

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 02:48 AM

The hard part is avoiding or curbing the cravings on off-time. Luckily, I can't smoke at work or anywhere on the premises, so it isn't until lunch that I have that hour to kill. Yes, it can be very long. I usually go to a little mini mall or even the regular mall and look around and try to keep busy, but now it seems I'm buying something every lunch hour. I bought a digital camera last week, some clothes the week before and today I'm looking a new cell phone. Somebody stop me.

Like I said too, the ride to/from work is a test for me as well. I have my cigarets in their case in the car and haven't touched them. Just as I have that carton and a half in my dresser drawer but haven't gotten into them either. I'm wondering if I'm the type of "quitter" who needs them nearby in my comfort zone or something???

Of course, after eating is really hard. I know the craving will be there and try to wait for it to pass. It's gotten easier by now. However, for some reason, today on my way home from work, I was fighting an extra strong craving, looking at my cigarets on the dash just an arm's length away.

Btw, I figure I'll have about $130 more a month from not buying cigarets.

TIS
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 04:29 AM

TIS & DC,

This is great news. Will it be difficult? Absolutely. Do you have an extended BB "family" that's standing behind you with encouragement, positive thoughts and support? Again, absolutely.

It's important to find the way that best works for you. There's no one special "magic bullet". But, I'm sure this is old news to you both.

You know me, so you know why I have my own particular reasons for seeing folks I care about quit smoking, if that's what they've made up their minds to do.

The only other thing I can say is please have frequent chest X-rays, and anything else your doctors recommend.

I'll get off the soapbox now.

Signor V.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 04:44 AM

Ah, that wasn't my intention, sorry JG.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 05:40 AM

Ah, that wasn't my intention, sorry JG.

In retrospect, I DO thank you for reminding me!
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 06:57 AM

Congratulations TIS! \:\)

My dad used to smoke 30-50 cigaretts a day and he quit, not sure exactly when, but I think it has been over 15 years now that he hasn't smoke. Now he gets irritated by other's smoking. He actually starts coughing. So I'm convinced you can do it if you decide to do so. I wish you good luck TIS. \:\)
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:21 AM

Congrats, TIS and DC! Keep it up! It's hard--nicotine is among the most addictive substances on earth--but lesser people than you (meaning: me) have done it. I'll tell you my story, even though it's not exactly flattering:
I smoked a pipe--three bowls of tobacco a day. Doesn't sound like much, until you realize that the bowls were pretty big, and I was inhaling. I thought I had it "under control," and some days, I didn't finish all three bowls.
Then I decided to cut back to 1 1/2 bowls per day. That's when I discovered how addicted I was. I'd run out of conference rooms every 10 minutes to take one drag on my pipe...I'd lean out windows in nonsmoking areas...it was awful.
One day, in the middle of a conference, I got up "to go to the bathroom." I went outside the door, and lit up. BLA-A-A-A-P! I'd triggered a smoke alarm in the corridor! Immediately, 4,000 company employees emptied out of three buildings and milled about outside, until it was "safe" to go back inside. Our corporate productivity took a nosedive that day! I shoved the hot pipe into my pants pocket and hopped around, trying not to look conspicuous. When we returned to the conference rooms, two building mechanics were inspecting the smoke detector--"Yeah, looks like someone smoked a cigarette under this one..." (To paraphrase Brando in "Waterfront": "It was you, Turnbull! I nearly died of guilt.) After that, I knew I was an addict.
I waited for the "Great American Smokeout" that November, and quit cold turkey. Moral of story: I had to be ready to quit, but that false alarm did it for me.
Posted By: Wiseguy_1872

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 10:53 AM

I think we are getting to a point in Anglo-American culture where the 'cool factor' around smoking is suddenly starting to die. A packet of Marlboro Lights or Marlboro Reds doesn't have the sex appeal of even 10 years ago.

Offically, I'm still an occasional smoker, but it must be two years since I had one and eight years since I puffed my way through 30 - 40 Marlboro Reds a day. What a waste of money and what a pain to have to wash your clothes two or three times as much as a regular person. Only plus side to the cancer sticks was that I was 30 - 40 llbs lighter as a regular smoker. With the introduction of smoking bans in public places -- a recent development here in the UK -- I do think that in 10 years time smokers will increasingly look plain 'weird' in Western culture.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
One day, in the middle of a conference, I got up "to go to the bathroom." I went outside the door, and lit up. BLA-A-A-A-P! I'd triggered a smoke alarm in the corridor! Immediately, 4,000 company employees emptied out of three buildings and milled about outside, until it was "safe" to go back inside. Our corporate productivity took a nosedive that day!

You told that story before but its worth repeating!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 11:20 AM

The hardest thing i find with my habit is,not smoking after a meal.That's when i crave for a cigarette the most.
Also, i can't forget about how much i love smoking when i'm drinking alcohol.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 12:40 PM

I applaud your efforts, DC and TIS!! I think it's wonderful.

I remember when my dad developed a heart condition. The doctor told him to quit. He went down to 4 cigarettes a day, one after every meal and then one around 9 at night. The doctor told him that if he could do that, he could quit. He then switched to a pipe. The doctor told him that wasn't exactly quitting. He finally gave it all up.

And my mother-in-law quit this New Years after a particularly nasty bout of pneumonia. I never thought I'd live to see the day she would stop smoking, especially since she drives around in a 1978 Mercedes that has a bumper sticker that says I Smoke And I Vote. But I applaud her for doing it.

And I hope that you guys keep it up. DC, get the patch or something. It can't hurt!!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 12:44 PM

NO PATCH! It CAN hurt. Causes bad side effects in some people. I know several people who tried using that patch and wound up getting pretty sick from it. I wouldn't touch that patch with a ten foot poll.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 12:49 PM

NO PATCH! It CAN hurt. Causes bad side effects in some people. I know several people who tried using that patch and wound up getting pretty sick from it. I wouldn't touch that patch with a ten foot poll.

DC, I heard the same thing and considered the patch as well. I talked myself out of it for that reason.

Another hard time of day. As I sit and have my coffee this morning I'm thinking "Damn, a cigaret would just top it all off." \:\/ It is getting easier thankfully, but there is not a day goes by that I don't think of smoking way more than one time. I figure when that feeling subsides, I'll have it made in the shade. \:p

Btw, how you doing? I KNOW how hard it is. Stick with it though.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 12:49 PM

I wouldn't touch that patch with a ten foot poll.

How about an 11 foot Italian!! \:p

I just know several people who used it and had great success. Try the Nicorette, too. I also used to hear these ads on the radio for cigarettes made from lettuce leaves. They were to be used in conjunction with the patch or Nicorette, to help you get past the habit of holding, inhaling, etc. I don't hear the ads anymore, so I don't know if they're still around.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 03:20 PM

I have a story about triggering the smoke alarms.

One of Ray's late uncle's was in the hospital dying of lung cancer. He had to go to the bathroom so he decided to light up right there in the bathroom. The alarm went off and what a comotion he started. I'm sorry to say he passed away a couple days later.

Keep on keeping on guys. You will do it.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I wouldn't touch that patch with a ten foot poll.

How about an 11 foot Italian!! \:p

Now that's a big hoagie.

How are you guys doing today? Just think of this place as your friendly rehab center, minus the beanpole celebretants. \:\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 04:29 PM

Not too bad. I had really one bad part of the day where I really craved a cigarette. But for the most part, so far, it hasn't been to bad. I guess that I'm going to get those moments during the day. Juat got to get through them.

Thanks for asking BethE.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 04:47 PM

Good luck to all the quitters. This is one time when quitters win.

Wasn't plaw a smoker? Isn't that what did him in? That should be more inspiration.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Wiseguy_1872
Only plus side to the cancer sticks was that I was 30 - 40 llbs lighter as a regular smoker.

That happened to me, too. My doctor said it was because quitting smoking changed my metabolism. But I think it was simpler: When I smoked a pipe, it kept me occupied. Putting the pipe stem in my mouth was an alternative to putting food in my mouth; cleaning and filling the pipe was an alterative to searching refrigerator and cupboards.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 05:41 PM

That's exactly right.When i run out of smokes,i'm straight away in the kitchen nibbling on anything and everything.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:08 PM

I'm going nuts at this very moment!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:09 PM

Don't give in, DC. We have faith in you!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:09 PM

Hang in there, DC!! Did you get any Nicorette gum or anything??

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:10 PM

I'm going nuts at this very moment!

We love you! You can do it. We have faith.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:13 PM

Just ONE. Just ONE more! PLEEEEEEEEASE!!!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:16 PM

Look, everyone has to quit at their own pace and maybe cold turkey was not the best method for you. Please don't think that I am encouraging you to have a cigarette, but maybe you want to do it gradually. If you normally smoke one pack per day, smoke 15 for two days, then 12, then 10 and so on. Then you might want to do what my dad did - four per day for a week, and then if you realize that you can go that many hours without one, you can just stop.

Everybody has a method that works best for them, and perhaps you just need to find yours.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:16 PM

Just ONE. Just ONE more! PLEEEEEEEEASE!!!

Are you ready for a tongue lashing?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:19 PM

Can I inhale the tongue?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:30 PM

Can I inhale the tongue?

Come on Teflon Don don't quit now. You can do it.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:32 PM

I'm cracking already. TIS may just win this one in the first round!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:37 PM

DC, don't give up!! Just rethink your strategy. You may need to try nicotine replacements, or a gradual winding down instead of your method.

Btw, I found those lettuce leaf cigarettes. It doesn't sound bad. If you want to go for it, I may just come along for the ride.

http://www.bravosmokes.com

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:37 PM

Hey!!!

Snap out of it!!! Focus man!!!!

You're stronger than this!!!

Don't let a little pitiful cigarette drag you back in....(waiting for Godfather quote reply)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:40 PM

No no no. All those Nicotine replacements are bogus. All that shit doens't work.

Would you gradually ween an alcoholic off of liquor? ;\)

COLD TURKEY! the shakes, headaches, mood swings. The only way!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:40 PM

Hey!!!

Snap out of it!!! Focus man!!!!

You're stronger than this!!!

Don't let a little pitiful cigarette drag you back in....(waiting for Godfather quote reply)

OK I'll act like a man!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:42 PM

That's the spirit!!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:43 PM

But seriously,once you have that cig you know you'll regret it DC.

Stay strong dude. Be a warrior mate.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 07:58 PM

No no no. All those Nicotine replacements are bogus. All that shit doens't work.

No, BUT I don't think that you'll kill anyone else if you have a cigarette and get behind the wheel of a car, and I don't think that smoking cigarettes is going to ruin you emotionally and financially...And they're not ALL bogus. They must work in some way...
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 08:04 PM

GOOD LUCK to both of you... it is a wise decision, and in a year of being smoke free you will wonder how you ever smoked.

But the only way is COLD TURKEY....

If you do it any other way I would have to say you turned out to be Hollywood Finocchios who cry like women. Now I want you to eat, get some rest and this nicotine big shot will leave you alone.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
Come on Teflon Don don't quit now. You can do it.

Mig doesn't want you to quit?? \:p ;\)

Hang in there, DC! (And the gum does work to prevent you from smoking - it just doesn't wean you off nicotine - nicotine replacement is a gradual cutting-down process, but at least safer than actually smoking...)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 08:22 PM

Go outside your building and lick the big ashtray....that might cure you. \:p

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 09:19 PM

Mig would like him to quit.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 10:20 PM

No, BUT I don't think that you'll kill anyone else if you have a cigarette and get behind the wheel of a car, and I don't think that smoking cigarettes is going to ruin you emotionally and financially...And they're not ALL bogus. They must work in some way...

You know what I meant about making an alcoholic go cold turkey. The addiction part, not the result or affect that they can have on others. ;\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/21/07 10:22 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support. I'm trying. But damn it's tough. Especially that I actually enjoyed smoking.

I guess that TIS already got through the "withdrawal" stage.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 01:00 AM

DC

I've been thinking about you, wondering how you were doing today. I e-mailed you from work.

Hang in there my friend. Believe me, I know it's so hard. Yes,I guess I already experienced the "major" withdrawal (I hope so anyway) The first few days are the absolute worse. I've been having the urge again the last two days, but it's not has bad as it was at first.

You know the cravings will be coming, so expect them and sort of ride it out until it passes. How much are you use to smoking per day? If you smoked more than I did (1 pack), perhaps it'll be a little harder, but NOT impossible.

Of course this won't do you any good, but I look at a craving as a contraction...it's gets worse and worse and then slowly subsides. At least nicotine cravings don't come every 2 minutes. Then again, with contractions you end up having a beautiful baby. What do ya get with nicotine? Addicted.

Good luck DC. Feel free to post how you feel. I do think that's therapy in itself.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 01:20 AM

Thanks TIS. I appreciate the support and understanding.

I smoked a pack and a half a day.

It's weird how we become creatures of habit. There are certain times during the day that the craving is very real. Yet there are many times during the day where you think about having a cigarette based more on habit than real craving because of something that you may be doing where, in the past, you would normally light up a smoke.

Those habitual moments are far easier to overcome than the real craving moments.

But going through those several intense cravings during a day vs. the times that you feel the need to light up strickly out of habit, only goes to show you how much more smoking you did based on habit and not on real craving.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 01:26 AM

I agree, DC. Since you can't smoke in the house or the office, one of the few places I still smoke is when I'm alone in my car. When I'm alone in my car, I feel an overwhelming urge to light up, even if I'm only running to the post office. Weirdest is when I finish one, run into the bank, take care of business, and then get back in the car. I may have finished one only 5 minutes before, but the habit is telling me to have another. Then, I can go three or four hours at work without wanting one. So much of the dependence is psychological.

Edit: How ironic! When I pressed submit for this post, the ad at the bottom of the page was for Nicorette! Is Big Brother watching??

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 01:27 AM

Keep on hanging on DC. As long as you know the cravings are "normal" so to speak, that everyone goes through them, maybe it'll make it easier. Just remember men far less then you have done this and won.

Continued congrats to Tissie. You've gone through an amazing hurdle. It's all downhill from here.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 01:32 AM

Do the patches work?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 01:38 AM

Just take it one day at a time. Both of you are strong people and I know that the both of you will overcome this trial.

Besides you have your BB family in your corner to help see you through.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 01:42 AM

I do know what you mean DC. I can certainly tell (now) when it was a habit and when I craved it. As you know, one of the worse times is after I eat. Damn!! Just a couple hits would be great. However, even that gets easier.

Ha ha!! I don't want to even begin to sound like I "did it." I don't feel like it's over yet. You know, the fat lady hasn't sung." I wonder how long before I can feel confident.

I must admit though, I really do think it's great therapy and very supportive putting this all down in writing. Thanks guys!!

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 01:52 AM

TIS, I quit for both of my pregnancies, and then went right back to it. My OB/GYN smokes and, believe it or not, they actually had a smoking lounge on the maternity floor in those days. If he had someone in labor, he used to sneak out for a break, and come knocking on my door to go join him for a smoke. I can't believe that I went about 8 months, and didn't even make it out of the hospital without starting up again (and I don't blame my doctor. It would've happened with or without him).

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 03:25 AM

I don't understand. If you were off of cigs for 8 months, then the nicotine is out of your system, right? Why did you start again?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 04:31 AM

I don't know enough about it to answer either way. But there are plenty of people who go back after months, even years. It's an addiction. Plain and simple.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 04:37 AM

I too have heard former smokers, who haven't smoked in years say that they still get cravings. \:\/

It's strange that when I was young, I would go clubbing and drinking darn near every night, yet never was addicted to alcohol. I got to a certain point and simply stopped going out all the time and never craved a drink, but rather would drink to party I guess. Yet, smoking is another story, at least for me.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 09:43 AM

I too have heard former smokers, who haven't smoked in years say that they still get cravings. \:\/

TIS - I was talking with my uncle last night. He quit smoking 35 years ago! Yet he says that he STILL gets cravings to light up a cigarette. \:o

I guess that being addicted to nicotine is like being addicted to any other drug.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 12:35 PM

It's strange that when I was young, I would go clubbing and drinking darn near every night, yet never was addicted to alcohol. I got to a certain point and simply stopped going out all the time and never craved a drink, but rather would drink to party I guess. Yet, smoking is another story, at least for me.

TIS

I think it's due to the nature of how the addiction effects the body. Nicotine attacks (in part) the central nervous system, which has far different biological reactions than alcohol, which runs through the bloodstream and cuts off oxygen to the brain. Those who have ever had a hangover know that the body feels bad afterward because the fresh oxygen and blood cells are working properly again, causing the headache and body pain (also influenced by the dehydration alcohol causes). Usually the 2nd day after heavy drinking the body is nearly, if not fully, recovered.

Cigarette smoke stays in the body much longer. I remember reading that it takes years for the body to completely rid itself of the toxins and residual effects of nicotine. So I can completely understand why someone can go back to it after a lengthy time away from smoking.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 01:07 PM

Thank makes sense Goombah! (Btw, how you doing?)

Another thing I noticed...I don't drink as much coffee as I used to. You know, another cup of coffee, another cigaret? \:\/ Ahhh, the littlle pleasures (vices( in life are slipping away. \:\/

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 03:34 PM

My Mother smoked for 50 years,pretty heavily too!
3 years ago when she had to go into the hospital for her heart surgery the Doctor told her she would be better off in the long run if she tried to quit!
I never thought she would even try it never mind do it...but she did. Came out of hospital and (to my knowledge) has never smoked again since. Some woman my Ma when she puts her mind to it

And she was 71 years old!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 03:37 PM

well done to your mother it was the same with my grangma but she never stopped and carried on smoking 40 a day and last year the inevitable happenend and she died,if she had listend to the doctors then maybe she could have had an extra year or two who knows.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 03:50 PM

When the Surgeon General's report on cigarette smoking came out in the early 60s, my dad just quit. Willpower!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 04:07 PM

i have none

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/22/07 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: chopper
i have none

\:\/

\:\)
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/23/07 05:22 AM

Today I begin my attempt to quit. Not that I hate the habit, but I just want to quit while I'm ahead. The worst part is how it becomes habitual. For instance, I need to find something to do on breaks at work rather then smoke.

As far as how long it stays in you, Nicotene stays in your system for about one or two days opposed to Marijuana's THC being a month. But the residue and damage stays for a while longer.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/23/07 05:44 AM

Da Man! \:o Good seeing you popping in. I didn't know you smoked \:\( But you're right with one thing - I think I'd rather have my (future) kids smoke pot than cigarettes at this point - at least it's less addicting and harmful! \:\/

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/23/07 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Don Vercetti
Today I begin my attempt to quit. Not that I hate the habit, but I just want to quit while I'm ahead. The worst part is how it becomes habitual. For instance, I need to find something to do on breaks at work rather then smoke.

Good for you! You are so right about a lot of it being habitual and finding something different to do at certain times of the day, like on break, because out of habit you would always smoke on break. I think, in a sense, that breaking the habitual part at times is a lot tougher to get through than the actual withdrawal itself.

Good luck Vercetti.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/23/07 12:46 PM

DV,

Good for you. I wish you all the luck. Stay with it and feel free to post here as DC and I (and now you) can be support for each other. ;\) Hopefully your age and length of time smoking might be a plus for you.

Btw, DC!! How are you doing?

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/23/07 12:59 PM

Not bad today TIS. I have to say that for the very first time this week, I did NOT have an urge to smoke when I got up this morning.

How you doing?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/23/07 01:01 PM

I'm really very proud of the both of you. You guys are doing a great thing. \:\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/23/07 01:09 PM

Not bad today TIS. I have to say that for the very first time this week, I did NOT have an urge to smoke when I got up this morning.

How you doing?

DC,

For the most part I'm doing really good. Yesterday on my way home from work I got another craving which was kind of strong. It's weird that I've gone this long and still get strong cravings. \:\( However, thankfully they are fewer and farer between. It's hard to not think about it and/or to do something different to avoid temptation, while you're driving.

I still haven't told my kids. They will be so happy. \:D

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/23/07 01:11 PM

Good for you guys. You're taking baby steps now. Before long you'll be running a sprint.

Won't it be lovely TIS the next time you're with your daughters and they see you're not taking a cigarette break. They will be very happy indeed.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/23/07 01:51 PM

KEEP IT UP GUYS!!!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/23/07 03:54 PM

Thanks for the support. A possible problem is the volume I smoked. I've been down to a pack a day or more for almost a year.
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/24/07 07:37 AM

I work with two guys that were heavy 2+ pack a day smokers for most of their lives. One of them went for this laser treatment, where they stick a laser in your ear. He hasn't smoked for over a year now. The other guy heard about it, went, and hasn't smoked in about 6 months. Both claim they have little or no urge to smoke since.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/24/07 08:13 AM

Three friends of mine went for that Laser shot in the ear. 2 of them started smoking again after 1 month of being smoke free. The third guy, after 3 months began smoking but just went for another laser shot.

Does the laser shot work? I don't know. I have to guess like everything else, it may work for some and not for others.

I'll tell you this though, anyone who makes an effort to stop smoking, be it by medication, gum, the patch, laser, or cold turkey, is taking on some challenge. One that I never thought would be so difficult to overcome. It's a fight, I'll tell you that!

Hey, I just realized it. You're back from your honeymoon! How was it? How was your cruise?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/24/07 12:16 PM

I applaud your efforts and conviction. Please continue to quit. You might gain a few pounds, but the benefits will far outweigh the consequences. You've no doubt heard all the preaching.

Do they have anything like a Silent Fence - you know, that thing for dogs to keep them in the yard. When a cigarette approaches your lips maybe you could get a shock...? \:p

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/24/07 03:20 PM

Hey, I just realized it. You're back from your honeymoon! How was it? How was your cruise?

It was great. They had to change the itinerary from the Eastern Caribbean, to the Bahamas and Grand Turk due to the hurricane, but what can you do. The weather was perfect for all 8 days though.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/24/07 03:41 PM

Excellent. As long as you and the Mrs. had a great time together, that's all that matters!

Welcome home.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/24/07 03:59 PM

Yeah, exactly. If it was a regular vacation, I might have been disappointed with the change. Then again, normally I don't book cruises during peak hurricane season either. I jinxed myself a few days before we left when I said: "it's very quiet in the Caribbean this hurricane season".

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/24/07 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Lou
They had to change the itinerary from the Eastern Caribbean, to the Bahamas and Grand Turk due to the hurricane, but what can you do.

If it rains when you get married, its good luck. Imagine the kind of luck you'll have from a huricane!!!

Glad to hear it went well!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/24/07 04:18 PM

Isn't Grand Turk beautiful? The water is just gorgeous.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/24/07 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
[If it rains when you get married, its good luck.

Is it bad luck then if you get married when it snows?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/24/07 04:24 PM

[If it rains when you get married, its good luck.

Is it bad luck then if you get married when it snows?

No,just unlucky!
Is un luck the same as bad luck?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/24/07 05:02 PM

I didn't think so. There was nothing there, and the water was filled with leaves and vegetation until you got out about 20 yards from shore. We went to a private island in the Bahamas called "Half Moon Cay", which had one of the nicest beaches I've ever seen. Here's a picture:

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 11:51 AM

I guess I don't get out much, but I never heard of the Grand Turk. Anyway, congratulations JL and welcome back!! ;\)

TIS
Posted By: Partagas

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 01:17 PM

I have not read all the replies to this thread BUT my best for those who desire to quit!

As many know, I am a casual cigar smoker. I smoke maybe 5 per week depending on weather, schedule, golf, etc.... I find smoking a cigar relaxing, refreshing, and my way to get away from the world.

I only smoke handrolled cigars and definitely never a machine-made piece of crap (life's too short to smoke cheap cigars).

I do buy and sell cigars on the side (via the net mostly but have some other "sources" as well)

Like most people I have tried cigarettes but never enjoyed them.

About 6-7 years ago, I started smoking more cigars and actually smoked more of the little machine made crap at work (sneak out side for a quickie, etc...) I started to get worried that I was fast becoming addicted and wanted to beat it before it got the better of me.

A young lady at the office recommended nicotine gum. She said she was woried she would gain weight if she tried to stop cold turkey or whatever. So... I figured what they hey I will give it a shot!

BIG MISTAKE (fro me at least!) I became addicted to the gum! I chew two pieces of 4 mg at a time and probably chewed about 30 pieces a day during my "bad spells" -- $15 / day! I have been trying to get off the stuff for a few years and actually have only had one piece (well - two 4MG pieces) since June 1.

Maybe I should start smoking regularly \:\)

Well, it is really strange as the ony brand that I like is nicorette -- nothing else will d it for me (it is also the nmost expensive). As soon as I wake up in the morning, I start to crave the peppery taste of nicorette.

So.... wish me luck as well \:\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 01:22 PM

Are there any side effects from the gum???
Posted By: Partagas

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 01:33 PM

Are there any side effects from the gum???

I am not sure about the physical effects BUT

1. $15 / a day

2. Forced / obligated / etc... to brush my teeth about 40 times a day. The nic gum leaves a "yellowy tint" and you must be careful.

3. Trying to hide the fact from my wife \:\)

Those side effects are bad enough! But I imagine pumping 120 MG of nicotine (even if not smoking) in your body cannot be good fo you.

I must admit some of the greatest experiences of euphoria for me has been popping 2 a coule fo pieces in my mouth after a couple week lay off.

This topic is worse than a topic on food -- I am getting a craving for the gum now. I must leave the topic for a while!!!!!!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 01:37 PM

I assume quitting cigars has the same affect as quitting cigs. Good luck to you Part.

I considered the patch and the gum, but heard too much negative about the patch and didn't think I'd like the gum. Anyway, like I posted in my original post, I did not quit cold turkey and thus far, it worked for me. I'll tell you something though. Quitting is an individual choice. Why I am trying now? Why does it seem to be working? I don't know. All I know is one cannot be pushed into quitting. When/if the time is right is the time to try. \:\)

Weight gain? Yea, I expect it. I've read that one gains between 5 & 20 pounds after quitting smoking. I'm hoping for the former, since I don't really care to be a "blimpo" . Anyway, I am taking deliberate steps NOT to change my eating habits and really I've done well at that too. I read that smoking burns 120 calories a day (don't ask me how they know), so if one cuts down say on one glass of soda or anything with the calories amount, it should help. Of course exercise and/or a brisk half hour walk is recommended as well.

So far, I'm pleased to say I am doing good! \:\) The cravings are still everyday, several times a day, but they urge has subsided considerably for me. I'm gonna wait til Sept. 15 (3 months) before I tell my kids (unless they say something first).

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 01:41 PM

So far, I'm pleased to say I am doing good! \:\) The cravings are still everyday, several times a day, but they urge has subsided considerably for me.

Keep it up, TISSIE!!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 01:45 PM

Part -

I had no idea it could be that bad (getting "addicted" to the gum). I assume you don't inhale the cigar smoke.... I know you still hafta worry about mouth cancer, but are the "benefits" of the gum truly worth it??

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 02:55 PM

I guess I don't get out much, but I never heard of the Grand Turk. Anyway, congratulations JL and welcome back!! ;\)

TIS

Thanks ...And to get back on subject, keep it up. \:\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 05:27 PM

I didn't think so. There was nothing there, and the water was filled with leaves and vegetation until you got out about 20 yards from shore.

Hmmmm. You must have been brought to a different part of the Island than I was because the water where I went was clean, clear as anything and had all kinds of coral and colors in it. No vegetation whatsoever.

Interesting.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 05:42 PM

Hmmmm. You must have been brought to a different part of the Island than I was because the water where I went was clean, clear as anything and had all kinds of coral and colors in it. No vegetation whatsoever.

Interesting.

Here's a pic of the beach at Grand Turk, near where the boat docked. You can see all the crap on the beach and water.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 05:43 PM

Wow! That's f**king sad.

The beach that we went to in Grand Turk was absolutely beautiful and clean.

BTW Lou, you see the article in yesterday's Advance in the sports section?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 05:48 PM

I saw the article. It was pretty interesting.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 05:57 PM

Here's a pic of the beach at Grand Turk, near where the boat docked. You can see all the crap on the beach and water.

But look at the 2 different colors of water. The background and in the front. Still looks nice to me.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 06:13 PM

But look at the 2 different colors of water. The background and in the front. Still looks nice to me.

The water was great once you went past all the seaweed and palm leaves on the beach and shoreline. I'm spoiled by my favorite island, Aruba.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 06:15 PM

Jeez, that looks beautiful to me! Then again, I'm used to the Jersey shore...

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 06:26 PM

I'd rather swim in that than Lake Erie.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 06:37 PM

I'd rather swim in that than Lake Erie.

I thought only 3-eyed fish swam in Lake Erie? \:p ;\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 06:54 PM

That and who knows what other kinds of mutants are in Lake Erie.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 07:28 PM

Here's what a perfect beach looks like. Palm Beach, Aruba:

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 10:29 PM

Right now it feels like 115 degrees here in Baltimore. I'd swim with the 3 eyed fish if the water was about 55 degrees.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 11:49 PM

If I spent a night in 115° heat I'd be SLEEPING with the fishes. \:\(

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 11:54 PM

Wow, I didn't realize it was still that hot for you guys!! \:o Does anyone have air conditioning there?

It's been an unseasonably cooler summer here in SoCal. I heard last month that July had much fewer triple plus temps then normal (and believe even I noticed it)and August has been the same. \:\) I have only needed my air a handful of times this summer.

For us, in CA, Sesptember can be another hot month, but even if it is, I think we skated by with a relatively cooler summer.

Stay cool you guys!!!

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 11:56 PM

live in england and its always cool!!!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/25/07 11:58 PM

For us, in CA, Sesptember can be another hot month,

Brush fire season??

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/26/07 12:00 AM

All I know if it's 130 degrees in Vegas in the summer maybe we should seriously think of going in like October. 115 degrees is doing me in.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/26/07 12:03 AM

115° in Baltimore is totally DIFFERENT than 115° in Vegas!!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/26/07 12:30 AM

For us, in CA, Sesptember can be another hot month,

Brush fire season??

Yea, it is. It's been very very dry and we really can use some rain. \:\/ I think the mountains had some scattered showers but nothing of significance. Our rainy season is usually Dec/Jan.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/26/07 12:42 AM

I forgot. It's the heat, not the humidity.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/26/07 12:43 AM

Here's what a perfect beach looks like. Palm Beach, Aruba

Did you take that picture Lou?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/26/07 12:45 AM

I love how this thread always talks about weather every 3-4 weeks. The one thing we're all experts at because all we have to do is look outside.

EDIT: Oops, for some retarded reason I thought this was the Random Post Whoring thread.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/26/07 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Beth E

I forgot. It's the heat, not the humidity.

Although that is true. You don't have that sticky feeling,but believe me when it's hot it's hot no matter where you are. \:\/

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/26/07 03:35 AM

Here's what a perfect beach looks like. Palm Beach, Aruba

Did you take that picture Lou?

Yes. I used to go to Aruba for 5 days, every 10 weeks.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/26/07 03:51 AM

I would have to say that Grand Cayman, Bermuda and Hawaii have the most beautiful beaches that I'v ever been to.

As for the water itself, nothing that I've ever seen comes even close to the medditeranian sea off of the Isle Of Capri in Italy.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/26/07 04:24 AM

How was the game tonight, DC? I just got home from PNC.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/26/07 01:07 PM

We destroyed them. Final score :

N.Y. Predators 26

H.V. Cowboys 0

We improved our record to 5 - 0 in the regular season.
We went 2 - 0 in the pre-season. And going back to last years playoff run and championship victory, we're on a 12 game unbeaten streak.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/26/07 05:02 PM

DC,

How's it going? You hanging in there? ;\)

TIS
Posted By: Saladbar

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/28/07 07:28 PM

Well, I took the plunge. It's only been two months but hopefully the worse is over.

Congratulations. My dad quit after almost 50 years of smoking 10 years ago. He is still off of the cigs.

My grandfather died of emphysema. My uncle had it too, he was on oxygen and died when he got a "bad" tank. He died because he couldn't get oxygen. A horrible death. Both were heavy smokers.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/28/07 07:30 PM

DC

Of course this won't do you any good, but I look at a craving as a contraction...it's gets worse and worse and then slowly subsides.
TIS

Lordy, is that how it is? I had 36 hours of back labor...nothing I can imagine more painful!! ::scared::

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/28/07 07:32 PM

Really? The patch is how my dad finally quit.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/28/07 07:58 PM

Hi, SB!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/28/07 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Saladbar

Really? The patch is how my dad finally quit.

That's excellent that it helped him to quit. Good for him! It's tough. And I don't doubt that there are others out there who used the patch and successfully quit smoking without any side effects from it.

I personally wouldn't use it because like I said in my post it caused bad side effects in "SOME" people that I know and caused "SEVERAL" of them to get pretty sick.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/28/07 08:17 PM

Better off with the gum if you're gonna use nicotine replacement in the beginning - at least it keeps your mouth busy...

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/28/07 09:04 PM

Don't ask me about my business, Geoff.... \:p ;\)

I Didn't use any nicotine replacement at all. I just went cold turkey so far.

But I bet I know how you keep your mouth busy! \:o \:p

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/28/07 09:22 PM

You guys are still going strong? That deserves and extra shake of the pom poms.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/28/07 10:22 PM

You guys are still going strong? That deserves and extra shake of the pom poms.

Thank you Beth. But I had a different set of Pom Poms in mind. Should I check my PM? ;\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/28/07 11:50 PM

DC and TIS, you have no idea how proud I am of you guys.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/28/07 11:56 PM

Good luck to both of you, and hopefully it all works out.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/29/07 12:17 AM

Thanks SB and Don Andrew.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/29/07 01:13 AM

Thanks again everyone for all of your encouragement. \:\)

So far, so good for me. It's been two and a half months. I still get cravings every day, however the temptation thus far has lessened considerably.

I've been doing reading on quitting and find that one symptom I'm victim to is insomnia. \:\/ I've always been a light sleeper but I'm getting very little these days.

I read one can expect to put on some weight, usually in the first 3 months. I expect it but I am trying to not change my eating habits too much and in that respect I have been doing pretty good. I am not a huge person, and I read 5 - 8 lbs is average but one can gain as much as 20 or more. I'll hope for the 5/8. See, I'm starting to think long term instead of one day at a time!!! \:o Before it was how to NOT smoke a cigaret for that hour or that day.

Again, thanks everyone and a special thanks to sweet Mig for sending me an encouragement card. ;\) Thanks Miggie!

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/29/07 01:27 AM

Aww TIS You are very welcome. We are all here for you and DC.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/29/07 01:32 AM

Yes Mama, thanks a million for sending that encouragement card.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/29/07 01:35 AM

Santino, you are very welcome. Keep up the good work.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/29/07 01:39 AM

Ok Mama!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/29/07 01:47 AM

Cardi,

You doing ok???? ;\) Getting better?

TIS

Let me say hello to SB as well. Nice to see you around. \:\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/29/07 02:26 AM

Actually TIS, I'm doing pretty good with this so far. Much better than I thought I would do.

And I'm glad to see that you are doing good with this also.

You've inspired me TIS. So far I owe it all to you!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/29/07 06:11 AM

That's excellent that it helped him to quit. Good for him! It's tough. And I don't doubt that there are others out there who used the patch and successfully quit smoking without any side effects from it.

I personally wouldn't use it because like I said in my post it caused bad side effects in "SOME" people that I know and caused "SEVERAL" of them to get pretty sick.

Well, my dad did survive typhoid fever as a kid when there was no cure for it...so maybe he isn't a good sample! He is the only person I know that used the patch so that isn't a good enough random sample.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 08/29/07 06:12 AM

Hi, SB!

Hi J-off! ;\)

Funny that I'm hanging in the smoking thread and I've never been a smoker! Of cigarettes that is...

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/01/07 09:34 PM

DC, Just checking in. You hanging in there my friend? \:\)

I've been getting the urge daily even still but am having an easier time resisting. I just want it to be done with, but then I just heard about a friend of a friend who quit for 2 years and then started up again. Will I ever be out of the woods? \:\(

Thanks! \:\) just writing here is therapy. No need to reply. I'll come back on a low day when I crave a smoke and read through these posts and will get encouragement again. I am strong, I am invincible....I am woman (hear me roar)!!! ;\)

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/01/07 09:35 PM

Fight the good fight TIS!!!! Keep going strong.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/01/07 09:40 PM

Fight the good fight TIS!!!! Keep going strong.

Aww! Thanks Beth. If I cave in I'll probably be a big chicken shit and be afraid to say so. You guys might kick my ass.
Not gonna happen! Not gonna happen! Not gonna happen!!!!!

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/01/07 09:41 PM

TIS, hang in there. No matter what, we're still proud of you.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/01/07 10:24 PM

This can't be an easy thing to do. Hang in there TIS you are doing great. Proud of ya my friend.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/03/07 02:06 AM

DC, Just checking in. You hanging in there my friend? \:\)

I've been getting the urge daily even still but am having an easier time resisting.

Actually TIS, I'm doing ok. This is what, 2 weeks for me now? Yes, it is.

I also find the urge creeping up on a daily basis at certain times of the day. Again, I think that those are really "habitual" urges and not "withdrawal" urges. You know what I mean?

I do find that the real "withdrawal" urges are becoming less frequent. In the first week they would happen several times a day. Then there was that really bad one that I had in that first week, remember my HELP PM? And truthfully, ever since that really bad one, they are coming less frequently, and maybe once a day, at most.

What is scary is that while I look at a cigarette and tell myself that it would be so foolish to go back after being smoke free for a couple of weeks, at the same time I look at that same cigarette and realize that I can pick it up and start smoking again like I never even stopped.

I have to be truthful and tell you that there are certain situations that I am in at certain times of the day, where I actually miss the enjoyment that I used to get from smoking. For example this morning I was lying on the beach reading a book, totally relaxed, and while I didn't really crave a cigarette or feel any kind of nicotine withdrawal, I did miss smoking and enjoying one in that relaxed setting that I was in.

Hope you're doing well with it TIS.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/03/07 11:49 AM

You guys are great. Maybe you should go public with your story. It would make a great human interest/inspirational story.
I'm inspired and I don't smoke.

We have newspaper people on the payroll.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/03/07 02:15 PM

Thank you for th kudos Mary Cas! \:\) However, I must admit this venture for me is very selfish. I can only consentrate on me, me me and getting through the withdrawal process. Being here, and hearing all of you wonderful people giving encouragement is just that....very encouraging. Probably more than you can imagine, and I thank you all. \:\)

DC,

I know exactly what you mean about urges. It's not too bad any more, passing up on a "habit" urge, it's the "craving" that is the killer, but for me too, it's getting easier and easier.

Yesterday, I was walking to my car from the grocery store. As soon as I left the store I smell smoke coming from someone's cigaret. Man, I took a deep whif and wanted to follow the smell. \:p Do you find that you notice everybody who lites up, whether it be on the street, or on tv in a movie. You "notice" and think, "I use to do that."

I finally told my kids. We were all together yesterday and I made the announcment. They both were thrilled and hugged me and wished me luck. It'll be nice having their inspiration so close to me.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/04/07 05:14 AM

TIS and DC,

Though I've been mostly silent (but deadly) in this thread, I have been reading each post and following every step.

I am really glad that you have been able to keep up with this. It's tough, and will continue to be so for awhile (I'm imagining), but there are a lot of good feelings and support aimed your way from Tessio Territory.

And, of course, my interests are personal as well.

"He's takin' this very, very personal!"

Yep. ;\)

Signor V.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/07/07 04:24 PM

How's everyone doing without the cigs?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/07/07 06:20 PM

I'm still going strong. Almost 3 weeks now. I still have my moments but it seems to be getting a little bit easier each day. What I really find quite surprising is that I have NOT craved or even thought of having a cigarette when I first wake up! The first thing I used to do when I woke up was grab a cigarette ad go outside to smoke it, rain, shine, sleet or snow. And now not even a thought in the morning.

Thank you for asking Saladbar, I appreciate it!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/08/07 03:45 PM

Glad to hear you're doing well DC. \:\) As I approach month 3, I too am doing good. I still miss it and still crave it, but fighting the cravings gets easier and easier so far.

Hopefully we'll both be winners DC!!!! \:\)

SB, thanks for asking. Hope you're doing well.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/08/07 03:47 PM

We'll always be winners TIS.

Just that every now and then it's nice to be a champion! ;\)

Glad to hear that you are doing well also!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/09/07 04:46 PM

Woot! I'm proud of you guys. I know this is an enormous task!!

TIS..do your kids know yet? I remember when I found out my dad had QUIT I was so happy!

EDIT--oopsnevermind I see that you did tell your kids. That's fantastic.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/10/07 11:55 AM

It's been said that it takes 21 days to form a habit. TIS, you've exceeded that. DC, you're getting close. Go-man-Go!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/11/07 07:01 AM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
It's been said that it takes 21 days to form a habit.

Whether you meant "form" or "break", I still disagree... everyone's different, with different addictive personalities. And certainly some substances are stronger/weaker than others. I would think that crack or heroin would be bad examples to both forming or breaking a habit in 21 days.... so, I'm confused...

But as for the next sentence - absolutely!! I'm VERY proud of you guys!! I just hope soon I will join you once I get to that "place" myself...

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/11/07 12:30 PM

Thanks MC. That IS encouraging! \:\) I suppose as far as quitting smoking goes, at least for me, you have to know when "your" time to quit is and mentally prepare yourself for what lies ahead.

I, like every other smoker, have thought about quitting, had the opportunity at any time to quit, why now? I don't know. That's why you can't tell anyone to quit. It has to be something they want to do and they'll know when/if. Even then, of course, I (or anyone) could fall off the wagon. It's a battle but I don't intend to let it be on my mind in 10 years let alone 1 year. We'll see. \:\/

Again, thanks to all. You are all VERY uplifting and encouraging.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/12/07 12:17 PM

It's been said that it takes 21 days to form a habit.

Whether you meant "form" or "break", I still disagree... everyone's different, with different addictive personalities. And certainly some substances are stronger/weaker than others. I would think that crack or heroin would be bad examples to both forming or breaking a habit in 21 days.... so, I'm confused...

I offered that as encouragement. Form - a new habit. Like DC has mentioned, there are things in a smokers daily life (habits) that are associated with smoking; having coffee, reading the newspaper, after dinner, having a cocktail. Those are habits associated with smoking. To disassociate from smoking is breaking a habit. I prefer the positive - forming a new habit.
And I certainly don't confuse habits with addictions. Smoking is an addiction, so to stop, one has to break the addiction and break the habit. A tough change no matter how look at it.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/22/07 05:06 PM

TIS, how you holding up?

It's about 5 weeks for me now, and I have to admit that the nicotine cravings have diminished quite a bit. However the habitual ones still seem to come and go a few times a day. I have to admit that at times I do miss smoking, but for the most part I am glad that I have stopped.

Hope that your persevering!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/22/07 05:21 PM

Hi DC, I was gonna ask you the same thing. I'm glad to hear you're still holding up ok. \:\)

Yea, I'm doing good also. My big problem was/is insomnia. One thing that I've noticed the last couple weeks is that I've been "moody". I don't know if I attribute it to nicotine withdrawal this late in the game (it's been over 3 months), or lack of sleep or what. \:\/

This will be amusing probably to everyone here, and today I laugh at it too, but the last couple weeks, I've been pissed at parents, students and politicians. Everything pisses me off. I told a friend co-worker the other day that I was afraid I'd go off on somebody and that I was tired of doing everything (wa wa wa).

I'm sure everyone at work would consider it totally out of character for me and of course didn't want to ruin any good relationships I have with my boss and many co-workers.... So....I took a "mental health" day off yesterday.

The good news is, I slept like a baby last night and got up AFTER the sun rose. It's been weeks since then. I feel great today!!! I guess lack of sleep brought on the moodiness.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 03:11 AM

I really am so proud of you guys. It's so tough to do, and you guys are champs!!

I got a job offer the other day that I am seriously considering. It wouldn't start until after the New Year (which is perfect timing for me), and I've decided that I will start it smoke-free. Obviously, I'll have to quit a decent amount of time before then. My anniversary is October 12th, and I was thinking that might be a nice anniversary gift to Mr. Babe. However, I'll actually stop on the 13th so I'm not bitchy ON our anniversary!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 02:56 PM

SB,

When and if you decide to, feel free to post your frustrations, hurdles andtriumphs here. If nothing else, it'll be good to vent and/or write your thoughts.

My girls asked me if I thought their father would also quit smoking. I told them it's different for everyone and that you simply can NOT tell someone to stop. It must be his decision, on his terms. It's hard to explain to nonsmokers. \:\/

One thing I swear I'll never be is one of these "holier than thou" former smokers who suddenly are self-righteous and preachy. You know the type? The person who is waving smoke away from his/her face even if you're smoking 20 feet away from them.

Anyway keep us posted. I'm sure DC will agree that you can use us as your support should you decide to go for it. \:\)

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 03:06 PM

One thing I swear I'll never be is one of these "holier than thou" former smokers who suddenly are self-righteous and preachy. You know the type? The person who is waving smoke away from his/her face even if you're smoking 20 feet away from them.

TIS

DITTO!

And SB, go for it. At least give it a shot. We'll be here for you when you do.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 06:04 PM

Well, I am going to give it a try. I am a little bit afraid of failure, especially compared to you guys, but I have to go for it.

TIS and DC, I know exactly the kind of people you are talking about! My former boss was one of them!!!

My mother-in-law quit smoking after 55 years this year after a nasty bout of pneumonia. She had it right after New Year's Day, and her most recent CAT Scan showed that her left lung STILL isn't completely clear. However, she confided in me yesterday that she is waiting for a good test result to start smoking again!! I told her that if she could give it up this long, why would she want to start again??

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 07:07 PM

It's storie's like your MIL's that scare me a bit SB. I mean after all that time, why in the world would she want to go back??? \:o I just don't know if there is ever a time when I could say "I licked it?"

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 07:19 PM

Well, I am going to give it a try. I am a little bit afraid of failure

How can you ever succeed if you are afraid to fail?

Think about that one. ;\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 07:23 PM

I just came from a sports bar. It's the first time I've been to that particular bar. I left at hal-time in large part because of the smoke from all the smokers that were there. I don't understand how you smokers can stand it. What's really tragic is that I was, by far, the oldest one in the bar. Most there were of college age.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 07:25 PM

What many smokers may not realize is that whether your 5 feet away or 25 feet away, us non-smokers are still able to smell the smoke.

Now while I'm not as obnoxious as some non-smokers, I can't very well say I blame them for acting the way they do. Smoking harms everybody around...not just the person who is smoking.

***EDIT***

Good luck, SB! I have all the faith in the world that you can succeed at quitting! \:\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 07:42 PM

I can understand not wanting to sit next to a smoker in a bar, or restuarant.

But, here in CA you simply can not smoke anywhere (restaurants, bars, courthouse, anywhere indoors and even some parks are prohibiting smoking now) so I don't see it as a problem. \:\/

I am attempting to speak as a "non-smoker" if it's fair to call myself that yet. I didn't smoke inside my house, but on my porch or in my car. If I was outside on my porch having a cigaret and it bothered someone else just walking by, I say tough titties!!!

I can drive through Ontario, CA or Norco and smell horseshit for a while and that too will pass. I can see and drive through the smog and shit in the air here that nobody seems to do anything about either. So, while I wouldn't deliberately irritate somone when I smoked, I figure "IF" I still smoked in my house, porch car or anywhere outside where it might still be legal, and somebody passed by and smelled it I wouldn't feel out of bounds at all by continuing to smoke.

Let me add too, that I love saving the tons of money not buying smokes every month. :)I hear they are gonna raise again the tax on ciagarets. Every illness that ails the world will be paid by the taxes they add to punish the smoker. That's another issue I guess though. Perhaps with all the illnesses that the obese get and bring on themselves, they should raise taxes on foods they buy. Yea, I'm being somewhat sarcastic, but still feel it's a valid comparison.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 08:09 PM

TIS, I was always annoyed that non-smokers felt perfectly at home lecturing smokers about the ill effects (like we're blind, deaf and illiterate) of smoking, but would never dare go up to an obese person chowing down on their second Big Mac and reprimand them. It is an extremely valid comparison, especially since the number of smokers is decreasing and the number of obese people is increasing.

And what REALLY pissed me off is the fact that Capitol has a smoking lounge - INDOORS!! I thought all federal buildings were smoke-free?? Oh, just not THAT one???

Edit: TIS, my MIL never wanted to quit, and I don't think that she considers herself as having quit. IMHO, in her mind, she's simply taking a vacation from smoking.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 08:27 PM

I don't really think it's a valid comparison. There's no such thing as "second-hand high cholesterol." Thunder thighs aren't contagious, nor do they spread air-born carcinogens. What one lard-ass is eating as no effect on your health or mine.

That being said, though, I too am no huge fan of the "holier than thou" stance that some non-smokers take. A non-smoker who takes it upon themselves to sit in a designated smoking area, only to piss and moan because their's smoke in their face...well they deserve to be punched in the throat.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 08:33 PM

That being said, though...I don't wanna be responsible for turning this into an "addiction/vice" debate. This is about you guys quitting smoking. It's a big step, and its a very brave thing to do, and I commend ANYBODY who is willing to take that step.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 08:41 PM

X, I understand your point. But I keep hearing about how smokers have burdened the health care system, and obviously obesity does, too, and in ever-increasing numbers. Yet, it would be rude to say something to an obese person about losing weight, but perfectly fine to go up to a complete stranger that is smoking and harangue them.

I agree with you about second-hand smoke, and anyone who doesn't recognize it is just an idiot. I will not smoke in the car or around my children, and I never have. I don't understand people who do. There's nothing more disgusting than picking up a little child and they smell like cigarettes.

I was having a cigarette outside a few weeks ago and this old man came up to me. He said, Maybe this isn't my business, but please stop smoking. It's so bad for you, yadda, yadda, yadda, and he starts giving me the whole speech.

Inwardly, I was fuming, because I am so sick of people who feel compelled to speak to total strangers about it. I was polite to the man, because he really wasn't being a pain in the ass, and he was polite and not obnoxious, like some people.

And then tears started to roll down his cheeks, and he told me that he lost his wife to cancer and he wished he had insisted that she quit smoking. I was glad that I hadn't snapped at him, and I thanked him for his concern and told him I would really think about it. With DC and TIS as my inspiration and my SA (Smoker's Anonymous?? lol) support group, I am getting closer and closer to taking the step.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/23/07 08:42 PM

True, you can't get second hand anything from being obese, unless of course if it's hereditary than I guess would be passed on. \:\/

However, much of the bitching about smokers is the healthcare expense that they can incur from something they bring on themselves. So, as in the obese, they too can have enormous expenses from health problems that occur from being obese. In both cases, if there is no health insurance or limited health insurance, who pays the cost?

Don't misunderstand, I am very happy I have quit smoking and hopefully will never smoke again. As I stated earlier, my cousin is dying of lung cancer and she was part of my motivation for quitting. My sister tells me that many are saying, "well, she bought it on herself" which confirms to me that many are totally heartless and obviously cold hearted when it comes to this particular addiction. It makes me want to cry. I can sense many people do feel that way. I pray I am never that heartless.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 04:53 AM

SB,

Congrats on your decision to quit the habit. I am very proud of you. I know you will sucseed.
Posted By: DonVitoCorleone

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 04:56 AM

...why on Earth would anybody ever want to quit smoking?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 06:51 AM

Originally Posted By: DonVitoCorleone

Kid, you're playing with fire.

Don't go there.

Signor V.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
Kid, you're playing with fire.

Pun intended?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 07:07 AM

Honestly though, if smoking makes you happy, why quit? You'll live longer? So what. Wouldn't you rather live a marginally shorter life filled with happiness than a marginally longer life trying to avoid something you enjoy doing?

I think most people try quitting because it's the socially accepted way to approach a smoking habit.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 07:14 AM

Wouldn't you rather live a marginally shorter life filled with happiness than a marginally longer life trying to avoid something you enjoy doing?

If you REALLY believe that, then WHEN you're PERMANTELNTLY BANNED FOR LIFE, apparently you won't have a problem with it?

Good to know.. thanks... \:p

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 08:04 AM

All I am going to say, DVC, is that you should be thankful I am not a moderator on these Boards.

You'd be history.

Signor V.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 12:15 PM

If you REALLY believe that, then WHEN you're PERMANTELNTLY BANNED FOR LIFE, apparently you won't have a problem with it?

I'm still trying to figure out why he hasn't been banned for life yet.

He's been suspended...what...3 times now?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 12:51 PM

Honestly though, if smoking makes you happy, why quit? You'll live longer? So what. Wouldn't you rather live a marginally shorter life filled with happiness than a marginally longer life trying to avoid something you enjoy doing?

I think most people try quitting because it's the socially accepted way to approach a smoking habit.

While I do feel with all the rules/laws regarding smoking, that the smoker is getting "squeezed/phased out", social acceptance is NOT a reason to quit (at least for me). I assume you are very young, and have not yet learned how precious life is. Don't worry, it's normal. If I knew then what I know now and/or would have paid attention to the then beginning warnings.....I would have never started smoking, pleasurable or not. \:\/

TIS
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 12:59 PM

In the 40s/50's it was the cool thing to do,now they are telling us all to quit,yet they are making Billions of cash every year.

Im a smoker and i have no real intention of quitting,suppose i will when its too late, its like DVC said "why quit if you enjoy it."

The best thing to do would be to stop producing them,but then goverments will be without all the crazy money they make of them.
 Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
All I am going to say, DVC, is that you should be thankful I am not a moderator on these Boards.

You'd be history.

Signor V.

What has he said here thats so bad,apart from voicing an opinion about cigarettes

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 01:50 PM

Perhaps it is more pleasurable in the short term, but as a life-long habit, it is a dangerous one. It's akin to do anything else that is bad for you - overeating, eating the wrong foods, drinking to excess on a habitual basis, drug use, and so on. Why do you quit? Because you could end up dead, and you could do harm to those you love. And that's a pretty damned good reason.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 01:51 PM

I don't want to preach to you, I really don't. I can't stand '"reformed" people myself, whether they're reformed from drinking, smoking, gambling or whatever. But until you lose a loved one to cancer, as many of us have, you should really keep such an opinion to yourself.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 02:28 PM

Sr Vitelli certainly doesn't need anyone to speak on his behalf, but I'll do it anyway. His indignation, quite understandable, comes from a rather cavalier attitude made worse by a joke here. I'll remind you that SV lost his wife to cancer not too long ago.

When a 12 year old makes a statement suggesting that your pleasure is more important than your health it only serves to show a complete misunderstanding of life.

I've smoked for the better part of 40 years and I'm much worse off for it. I wheeze when I walk, I have trouble climbing stairs, I have yellowed teeth and fingers from the nicotine, my blood is thicker than it should be, and I have a few other medical issues from the smoking. I wish I had never started smoking so many years.

I realize it may be difficult for some of you younger guys and gals to relate to this. When you're a teenager your own mortality seems beyond comprehension. Life has a way of catching up on ya, and you'll inevitably pay dearly for any poor behavior, whether it be drugs, cigarettes, booze or poor eating habits. On a strictly financial basis you'll end up saving a LOT of money, too, if you don't smoke.

I urge you to don't smoke if already don't and to give up the ugly habit (if you do smoke now) before its too late.

My congratulations to all those of you who have stopped or are in the process of stopping now.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 03:52 PM

Great post, SC.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 04:20 PM

Great job guys...

My town has done a non smoking ordinance and I'm glad. I was so tired of walking into a restaurant and getting bombarded by smoke coming across the invisible wall between smoking and nonsmoking sections.

There's a casino maybe 20 minutes away and they have a section of nonsmoking slots. There's maybe 20 machines, you have to walk through all the smoke to get there, and there's no dividers. What's the point?

I know my fiancee and I piss off smokers sometimes, but we're both very sensitive to smoke. I don't tell random people not to quit or anything, but if they are smoking in a nonsmoking section or something they'll know it.

I never get the smoker's arguments about obese people. Two completely different things, it's just deflecting the question and changing the subject to something else.

I have tried to get my mom to quit. She did for awhile, she did great, and then she started back again. I don't want her around my baby if she smells like smoke. I guess she'll pick one or the other.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 04:39 PM

Sr Vitelli certainly doesn't need anyone to speak on his behalf, but I'll do it anyway. His indignation, quite understandable, comes from a rather cavalier attitude made worse by a joke here. I'll remind you that SV lost his wife to cancer not too long ago.

When a 12 year old makes a statement suggesting that your pleasure is more important than your health it only serves to show a complete misunderstanding of life.

I've smoked for the better part of 40 years and I'm much worse off for it. I wheeze when I walk, I have trouble climbing stairs, I have yellowed teeth and fingers from the nicotine, my blood is thicker than it should be, and I have a few other medical issues from the smoking. I wish I had never started smoking so many years.

I realize it may be difficult for some of you younger guys and gals to relate to this. When you're a teenager your own mortality seems beyond comprehension. Life has a way of catching up on ya, and you'll inevitably pay dearly for any poor behavior, whether it be drugs, cigarettes, booze or poor eating habits. On a strictly financial basis you'll end up saving a LOT of money, too, if you don't smoke.

I urge you to don't smoke if already don't and to give up the ugly habit (if you do smoke now) before its too late.

My congratulations to all those of you who have stopped or are in the process of stopping now.

Well said SC.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 04:54 PM

That's a personal attack.

You should be suspended for a month.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 04:58 PM

You just don't get it, do you?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 05:13 PM

Get what? Shouldn't the rules apply to everybody?

I got banned for calling Mike Lupica, sportswriter for the New York Daily News, an idiot. So I'm sure SC should get some sort of punishment for sarcastically and condescendingly referring to me as a 12 year and insulting my intelligence.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 05:17 PM

No, I recall you being banned for telling a member to f*** off.

SC wasn't referring to you, he was referring to youth in general, because when you're young, you do not think of things like disease. You take good health for granted.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 05:19 PM

Well said SC.

SC is the MAN. SV is the MAN.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 05:43 PM

Oooops.... arguing a moderator's decision in public is a no-no.

Have a month vacation on me!!

Buh-bye!!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 07:02 PM

A shame DVC. A real shame. This was a topic that was started with the intent of showing and giving support to ANY member here that wanted to or was attempting to kick a bad habit. Then you posted in here. You made it, or attempted to make it into a debate of some kind. And in the process, intentional or not, you managed to personally offend another member here who lost someone very dear to him, someone whom he loved unconditionally, by spewing more of your ignorance. And the moderator here could have easily balled you out, banned you, or whatever, and rightfully so. But instead he takes the time to explain to you why that other member took such offense to your post, and in his own way trys to explain to the rest of us why sometimes things are said by young people. How sometimes us older people need to stop and try to understand where the younger generation is coming from and why they may feel the way that they do at times. And he actually gave us some food for thought on your behalf.

And what do you do? You come back on here and attack him. You PROVE that you are really not YET mature enough to see that he was only trying to prevent a situation from getting out of hand.

You have some track record on here. You're lucky that SC is such a fair and understanding person. Because if I were the one handing out the punishment, you'd be gone for fucking good.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 07:11 PM

He's gone now, DC. Don't work yourself up to wanting a ciggy. ;\)

BTW - How's your weight doing since you stopped?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 07:15 PM

30 days?

Well, it's better than nothing, but next time he comes before the bench, let Chief Justice Cardi sentence him. He'll learn him.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/24/07 10:19 PM

He's gone now, DC. Don't work yourself up to wanting a ciggy. ;\)

BTW - How's your weight doing since you stopped?

No work up at all my friend.

My weight? I actually gained 7 lbs. since I quit. So now I am trying to work on losing it.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/25/07 01:54 AM

A friend of mine needed to lose weight (about 50 lbs.). She was at the doctor and mentioned that she was thinking of quitting smoking. The doctor congratulated her and then added, "But don't gain more weight!" She said that she knew she was in bad shape when the doctor was more concerned about her weight than if she quit smoking or not.

She not only quit smoking, but she lost 55 pounds! She looks amazing, and says that she's never felt better.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/25/07 02:13 AM

Well, nobody asked (maybe you all are being polite I don't know). Anyway, I know I've gained a few pounds. Truth is, I don't have a scale so don't know a total. However, I feel fat. \:\( Just judging by comfort and how clothes fit, I'm guessing maybe 5/8 pounds. Nothing feels too tight yet, but I just feel fat!!! For me I guess, the good news is I wasn't fat before so it won't be like "added" weight. But still it is a weight gain.

FWIW, I read that most people who quit can expect to gain 5/8 pounds, although some may gain as much as twenty. :o. And usually that weight gain in within the first six months to a year. Also, I've read that smoking burns 120 calories a day. I know, don't ask me how they know this.
So, they suggest cutting something out per day (i.e. maybe a soda or bread??); and/or go for a brisk half hour walk. I've done much reading and research on this, mainly for my own satisfaction as to when I can say "I did it" and so as not to be shocked by any after affect.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/25/07 12:04 PM

t I just feel fat!!! For me I guess, the good news is I wasn't fat before so it won't be like "added" weight.

Wish it wasn't "added" weight for me!

Right now I'm a fat bastard! Smoke free...but a fat bastard.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 09/25/07 12:12 PM

Well DC, I figure "if" we get this far and quit, what's a measley 8 pounds right???? \:\) If we can be determined to do one thing, why not use the determination to do another? I just don't want to get overwhelmed with too many things to do at this moment.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 10/11/07 08:53 PM

Hey Tissy, how's it going?
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: Quitting Smoking - 10/11/07 09:10 PM

I quit smoking today. I cant breath anymore and its to much money.

ds

Re: Quitting Smoking - 10/11/07 09:13 PM

Good for you! Good luck.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 10/11/07 10:11 PM

Congrats Smitty. DC and TIS how's it coming along?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 10/11/07 10:22 PM

Congrats to you DS and good luck. With you, TIS and DC this is a trifecta we're hoping to win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 10/11/07 10:42 PM

DS, this great news.

I wish you all the best with this.

TIS and DC - what's the latest report?

Signor V.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 10/13/07 01:25 PM

DS, the best of luck to you. If you need to vent or just release your feelings this is a good place for "mental" therapy. You'd be surprised how writing feelings down can be an emotional aid. Good Luck! ;\)

Monday will be 4 months for me and I am happy to say I'm still doing very well. \:\)

One thing though....I'll make this as brief as possible: There were some issues at my work two weeks ago in which I felt myself and co-workers were being treated unfairly. I won't go into detail, but I told the Administration exactly how I felt. Anyway, we had a meeting with all the office workers. Our Principlal spoke to each of us and said to me, "I have never seen TIS get pissed off so I know something is wrong."

I don't think I am a bitchy person by nature, but wondered if I was so angry because of smoking withdrawal???? Yet, I asked the others in the office about the issues we had at work, and all of them felt as I did, PLUS it's been 4 months, and the cravings have diminished a whole lot, so I don't think it's part of the withdrawal process, do you??? OMG!! Am I turning into a "bitchy" woman?

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 10/15/07 04:34 PM

t I just feel fat!!! For me I guess, the good news is I wasn't fat before so it won't be like "added" weight.

Wish it wasn't "added" weight for me!

You mean like that Mike Meyers character?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 10/15/07 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Smitty
I quit smoking today. I cant breath anymore and its to much money.

ds

Smitty -

I'm sorry, but I must have missed your post! Great news! I'm proud of you. Keep us posted with your progress.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Quitting Smoking - 10/15/07 08:32 PM

Best wishes to all, who are trying to quit. One day at a time.
Having never smoked, I could only imagine how difficult it is for some. But the longest journey always starts with the firststep.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 10/16/07 06:05 AM

OMG!! Am I turning into a "bitchy" woman?

Wasn't that a song by the Eagles? Oh...that was Witchy Woman. Never mind. ;\)

You mean like that Mike Meyers character?

Nah...reminds me more of Alexei Sayle! ("Who was that fat bastard?")

Put my pipe back on its rack around two weeks ago. Dammit, I do miss it at times. But, I'm gonna see how long I can hold out. (It's ironic, considering that in another life I'm known as a Sherlock Holmes enthusiast.) But, I know that quitting cigarettes is 1000 times harder than giving up pipe smoking.

Still, there is the occasional wailing and gnashing of teeth in Brooklyn...

Signor V.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/26/07 12:45 PM

Hey TIS, Don Smitty,

Are you two still going strong here? I'm still on the wagon. I hope you two are still riding the wagon with me!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/26/07 01:48 PM

Great news Cardi. You survived turkey without having to light up afterward. Pat yourself on the back.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/26/07 02:02 PM

Wonderful DC!! \:\) Yes I am still "on" the wagon too. Dec. 15 will be, to me, a notable landmark of 6 months of clean & sober (so to speak). \:\) I can't believe I am doing it. It is so much easier now. I don't even think about it as much. However, I notice everyone who is smoking. Like when I went for a walk with my brother, and passed a couple people who were having a cig. I took a deep whiff and more or less tried to snort the smoke. Yea, I guess it does still smell good, if you can believe that. Yet, I knew I wouldn't really want to go back.

Thanks everyone here too, because whether you realize it or not those who have replied have been an encouragement during the quitting process.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/26/07 02:23 PM

Great for you TIS. How did your family react to you not smoking?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/26/07 02:34 PM

Thanks Beth. Of course everyone is happy I quit. \:\)

My trip to Michigan made me even more determined to quit, as one of my cousin's (she in one of the pictures I posted (with scarf on her head due to chemo)does have lung cancer. \:\( She smoked at least two packs a day and was given a mere few months. I'm so so sad for her. She was on oxygen 24/7 but now can be off it a few hours at a time. The doctor said that the cancer is shrinking but that it is normal for lung cancer and usually comes back. Seeing what she has gone through breaks my heart, and although it's so sad to say, she has been a source of my determination to quit.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/26/07 03:42 PM

Congrats to TIS and DC....stay clean. My sister-in-law was at our house for Thanksgiving. She's clean for a month, but she started with one of those patches. Anyway you do it is a good thing.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/27/07 02:02 AM

It is so much easier now. I don't even think about it as much.

However, I notice everyone who is smoking. Like when I went for a walk with my brother, and passed a couple people who were having a cig. I took a deep whiff and more or less tried to snort the smoke. Yea, I guess it does still smell good, if you can believe that. Yet, I knew I wouldn't really want to go back.

TIS

OH!!! I totally understand it! I love to take a whiff of it when someone is smoking. I too am finding it easier as time goes on. And truthfully with each day that passes, I realize that I am thinking about it less and less.

Glad to hear that you're still going strong. Keep up the good work!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/27/07 04:56 AM

DC & TIS Both of you keep up the GOOD WORK!! I am very proud of both of you.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/27/07 04:56 PM

Spaghetti-O's all around!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/27/07 06:57 PM

I can hear DC now "not in this lifetime"

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/28/07 01:47 AM

DC & TIS Both of you keep up the GOOD WORK!! I am very proud of both of you.

Thank you Mama!
Posted By: Obsessed With The GodFather

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/28/07 02:06 AM

Wonderful DC!! \:\) Yes I am still "on" the wagon too. Dec. 15 will be, to me, a notable landmark of 6 months of clean & sober (so to speak). \:\) I can't believe I am doing it. It is so much easier now. I don't even think about it as much. However, I notice everyone who is smoking. Like when I went for a walk with my brother, and passed a couple people who were having a cig. I took a deep whiff and more or less tried to snort the smoke. Yea, I guess it does still smell good, if you can believe that. Yet, I knew I wouldn't really want to go back.

Thanks everyone here too, because whether you realize it or not those who have replied have been an encouragement during the quitting process.

TIS

Thats great guy's you can do it !
It's five years for me thought i could never do it, But I got a scare in my life & thats when i said to myself it's stop or die from lung cancer! That is one way -i just don't want to die! When you feel like a Cig look at a picture of a smokers lung's \:\(

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/28/07 02:47 PM

Good work guys! Keep it up. By now you should be feeling a whole lot better.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 11/28/07 06:45 PM

Fantastic to come back to the post and see everyone is still sitting proud on the wagon.

I gave up Diet Coke on June 2. Does that count for anything? ;\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/01/07 02:30 AM

Guess that we both gained weight! ;\)

Seriously though, if you were a diet coke addict, then it absolutely does! Good for you Saladbar!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/01/07 05:20 PM

Guess that we both gained weight! ;\)

Seriously though, if you were a diet coke addict, then it absolutely does! Good for you Saladbar!

Ha, well considering I've been training for a marathon too, I haven't gained weight!

In fact I'm leaving town because my marathon is TOMORROW!! EEEK!
26.2 miles of insanity, but you already suspected my insanity right?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/03/07 12:24 AM

I heard a shocking thing today. I was talking to my sister and she admitted she still has cravings for a cigarette. Big deal, you say? She stopped smoking over 40 years ago!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/03/07 12:45 AM

I've heard others say the same thing SC. It is kind depressing isn't it? \:\( I started out taking this one day at a time and now feel fairly confident and don't ever expect to smoke again. Vegas was a big test that I survived. Yet, from some stories I've heard, if, God forbid some horrible tragedy/event swept my life, I just don't know, but having smoked before, I can understand where the urge "could" come back if you let it.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/16/07 05:41 PM

I've reached my "six month" landmark yesterday you guys. \:\) It's much much much better. Do I still think about it? Yes! As a matter of fact, just Friday going to my daughter's house I was in traffic that was crawling like a snail. Pissed me off. What should have been an hour drive (from work) turned into an hour and a half. Anyway, I had my cigarets/lighter right in the counsel. For the first time in quite a while, I looked down and thought, boy this is a "light-up" time if ever there was one. Deep down though, I knew I'd get through it.

My daughters' asked why do you still have your cigs? I have a full carton and a half carton in my houe. Well, don't know why I kept them, but today is the day I'm getting rid of them. ;\) Thing is, they are six months old, I don't have a store receipt and they are most likely stale. I was thinking of putting outside my complex with a note saying "free, I quit". At any rate, I'm getting rid of them.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/16/07 05:53 PM

I've reached my "six month" landmark yesterday you guys. \:\)

Good for you TIS! That's fantastic! I applaud you.

It'll be almost 4 months for me soon. I feel much better breathing wise. And yes, i still get the urge, out of habit mostly, to have one every now and then. But the real actual cravings and withdrawels are coming less frequently than they originally did.

Keep it up TIS! It'd be a real shame to go back at this point.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/16/07 05:56 PM

WooHoo!!
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/17/07 06:47 AM

Congratulations guys. This is such a great news. \:\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/17/07 07:35 AM

Congrats to you both!

I hope to join you both as a former smoker in 2008.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/17/07 11:57 AM

FWIW, after 36 hours of not smoking visiting my new niece/nephew twins this weekend (yet at the same time chewing Nicorette like crazy lol)... I decided to seriously cut down, hopefully on my way to stopping...

Sitting here on the computer I'd go thru like 2 packs a day easily w/o even realizing, and it was disgustingly horrible...

I'm currently at a fraction of that, and hope to stay that way on my way to stopping...

I packed my everyday pajamas for the trip, and after just a day not smoking I unpacked them to put them on for the night -- and practically gagged at the stench!!

It's just infinitely more noticeable after a while... hopefully I can keep it up, and eventually stop... cuz it's literally disgusting from a 3rd-party perspective...

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/17/07 12:15 PM

I packed my everyday pajamas for the trip, and after just a day not smoking I unpacked them to put them on for the night -- and practically gagged at the stench!!

Well, with all the money you save (when you stop smoking) you'll be able to buy some soap.

I know exactly what you mean. Whenever I've stopped smoking in the past, my sense of smell comes back and the even the odor of cigarette smoke on clothes is repulsive.

I'm spending about $250/month on ciggies. Thats nuts!!!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/17/07 12:32 PM

Try Native American cigs (Seneca = $100 for 8 cartons, lasts more than a month)..

"Repulsive" is the right word, tho....

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/17/07 01:43 PM

Geoff,

I started by cutting down. Just a hint: There are times you smoke out of habit, and times you smoke for the craving. Start by elminating the "habit" ones first. You know, pick up he phone, grab a cig; get in the car lite up, etc. I started that way and for two weeks or so, cut down my cigarets in half. You'll realize just how many times you don't really need one but lite up. It's the craving for a cigaret that is very hard but it can be done.

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/17/07 02:33 PM

I'm spending about $250/month on ciggies. Thats nuts!!!

Wow, I don't even spend that much on wine, and I like to drink wine more than I used to since Michael told me that it's good for me.....anyway I'm drinking more. ;\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/17/07 05:29 PM

Try Native American cigs (Seneca = $100 for 8 cartons, lasts more than a month)..

I stole a couple of yours at some bar once.... no offense, but they tasted like crap.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/17/07 05:57 PM

I stole a couple of yours at some bar once.... no offense, but they tasted like crap.

Maybe that will help you quit.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/17/07 06:00 PM

TIS - Thanks. Yeah, that really is the hardest part. I've been keeping them in the bathroom (since it's too cold to go outside). It's not so bad during the day (thanks to the gum), but the hard part is after a few drinks at night...

For $12/carton (saving what, $50/carton?!), you'd get used to them. And they're all-natural, so they're good for you!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 12/17/07 06:02 PM

And they're all-natural

Does that mean you'll die of natural causes? \:\)

Re: Quitting Smoking - 01/03/08 02:11 AM

TIS

Now you've inspired me!

Waddya say me lady?

We did it TIS! We made it! Now to continue to stay smoke free.

Anyway I'm going to make a donation to The Dr. Theodore Atlas Foundation.

I thank you for inspiring me TIS. If it weren't for your starting this topic, I don't know that I would have even thought of quitting at the time. Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Re: Quitting Smoking - 01/03/08 03:04 AM

That's wonderful DC. \:\) Good for you and God Bless you. It's a great feeling to give isn't it?

You know there are so many charities, so many needy people and so many good causes to contribute to. It really is a lot to think about. However, for me I think I've kind of known all along that I would love to contribute to the cure of Alzheimer Disease. It's just one of those horrible diseases that really is scary and makes me sad for the families as well as the victims of it. That's why I chose the Fisher Center for Alzheimer Research Foundation. I've always said I wanted to donate and this is my perfect chance. I will call first to make sure its a legitimate charity and then will send in my check for $133.

See, we did it and hopefully now in some very small way can help others in the world 'feel better.' \:\)

TIS

Fisher Center

Re: Quitting Smoking - 01/03/08 06:07 AM

Bless both of you!
Posted By: greekdude111

Re: Quitting Smoking - 01/03/08 03:48 PM

anyone tried zerosmoke? i'm trying to get my mom to use it. nothin so far has worked for her but ya never know

Re: Quitting Smoking - 01/03/08 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: greekdude111
anyone tried zerosmoke?

I haven't tried it, but it's the same accupressure technique I've seen advertised that you can pay a lot more for. 30-day free trial (special offer when you click off the regular site) is tempting, though...
Posted By: greekdude111

Re: Quitting Smoking - 01/03/08 05:32 PM

my papou (grandfather) barely smoked in his life and just got terrible pulmonary fibrosis. makes my knees shake thinkin what could happen to my mother if she doesn't quit as soon as possible

Re: Quitting Smoking - 01/03/08 05:33 PM

Congrats to you both. The hard part is probably over.

DC who is Thoedore Atlas? Wasn't he the guy in comic books who promised if you used his exercise techniques no one would kick sand in your face at the beach?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 01/03/08 06:32 PM

Sorry DonT, wrong guy. That was Charles Atlas.

If you are familiar with boxing then you know Teddy Atlas.

His father was Dr. Theodore Atlas, whom his son Teddy named the foundation after.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 01/03/08 06:34 PM

I knew it was Charles, DC, just having fun wih you. I've not been much into boxing for a long time now, so I dont know the guy you are referring to. Is it some kind of charitable trust?

Re: Quitting Smoking - 01/03/08 06:45 PM

I know you were kidding.

The DR. THEODORE ATLAS FOUNDATION is a foundation that was founded by boxing trainer and commentator Teddy Atlas, with the purpose to honor the memory of his father, Dr. Theodore Atlas

The main mission of the Foundation is the awarding of scholarships and grants to worthy individuals and organizations based upon scholastic potential, community service, athletic achievement and economic need. The Foundation is a tax-exempt, not-for-profit 501 (c) (3) organization.

Since it's inception in 1997, the Foundation, thanks to the generosity of it's supporters, has been able to give in excess of $1,000,000.00 to worthy causes. These have ranged from scholastic athletics to scholarship funds; from community service groups to after-school programs; and from families and individuals in financial need to those simply needing to be told someone cares.

The Foundation is a 100% volunteer organization. It has no administrative costs. There are no professional fund-raisers, no paid employees, and no fashionable office space that would drain away any funds from the Foundation's only purpose; to give help to those in need when they need it.

Re: Quitting Smoking - 01/04/08 05:08 AM

OK, my last post on August 23rd was a faliure. One thing that brings on a failure here is an increase of hours at work. However, now that the holidays are over and the next is Valentines Day, I have decided on the New Years resolution and so far I have been good. I polished off the last one on the 1st, and now it's time to stop. I've been doing my homework and pretty much, smoking is a psychological habit mostly. It takes about two weeks of repetitive behavior to start a habit and smoking is a common one.

The biggest enemy you have is yourself, because we rationalize. "Well, only one more won't hurt." And for pack-a-day smokers, after a day or two, that "one more" while a faliure, you bullshit yourself by thinking that it's as if you've cut down. Just one today instead of a pack should not be your logic. Not to mention cutting back only makes you look forward to smoking more. But anyway, I looked at it like this to lean my mind.

Pros
Something to do on break
Something to calm me down

Cons
Using more cologne, etc. to cover up smell (increased spending)
1 a day = average of $5.50= $38.50 a week (more then enough for gas)
Smelling of cigarettes (unpleasant presence to others)
Automatically limited the amount of girls who would go out with you
Long-term health risks
Short-term (I used to run fast, now 30 seconds of running can cause me to vomit)
Lowered hormone levels

Re: Quitting Smoking - 01/04/08 04:58 PM

Hey there DV!! Nice to see you back. \:\)

Well, you are young and haven't smoked the years that myself and DC have, so hopefully that will be a plus. All I can say is, when you are ready, hang in there and you'll do just fine. \:\)

TIS
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET