Home

Sgt. Pepper is 40!!!

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 02:29 AM

Can you guys (well maybe you older guys & gals) believe it's been forty years today since Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band was released? \:o I remember how totally different it was at the time. Oh, and the album cover was unique and quite a topic of conversation. As the article states Mae West first declined to be in a "Lonely Heart's Club" until the Beatles wrote her and she finally agreed to it along with Fred Astaire, Karl Marx and many others. It was fun trying to recognize everyone on the cover.

On my long ride home from work today they were discussing it on NPR station, with a couple former DJ's who recalled that they couldn't play some of the tracks on AM radio, and many of the songs were played on "underground" (FM) radio stations, due to what was thought to be drug references.

All good songs, but my personal favorites: Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, She's Leaving Home, When I'm Sixty-Four....but my absolute favorite from the album and one of my all time favorite songs is "A Day In The Life". (and it's educational too,"now I know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall" \:D

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing A Hole
6. She's Leaving Home
7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
8. Within You Without You
9. When I'm Sixty-Four
10. Lovely Rita
11. Good Morning Good Morning
12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
13. A Day In The Life

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070531/music_nm/arts_pepper_dc
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 04:05 AM

Hey TIS, did you ever see the movie?
Posted By: Anthony Lombardi

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 04:22 AM

there was a great article on this in popmatters...

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/features/article/41864/sgt-pepper-at-40-from-a-to-z/
Posted By: SC

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 07:55 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Can you guys (well maybe you older guys & gals) believe it's been forty years today since Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band was released?

Hard to believe, huh??

I remember seeing the album cover for the first time.... I was 16 and thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw. I amazed my friends by being able to name most of the people on the cover.

The wonderful music inside was just icing on the cake!
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 10:04 AM

A legendery Album,and the guy who designed it only got £500 pounds for it.if only he knew at the time..
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
Hey TIS, did you ever see the movie?

It was pretty bad. \:p A friend of mine has the soundtrack sitting in his garage, in the box full of records he's to embarrassed to admit he owns/mix in with the rest of his records.

Sgt. Peppers is probably my favorite Beatles album though... If not this album, then Magical Mystery Tour. It's great that something like this can still connect to people, four decades later, and in some cases, two or more generations later. All of the songs TIS mentioned are excellent... Among them, Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds being the best; but I've always been a sucker for the title track and A Day in the Life as well.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
Can you guys (well maybe you older guys & gals) believe it's been forty years today since Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band was released?

Hard to believe, huh??

I remember seeing the album cover for the first time.... I was 16....

You were never 16.

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 01:42 PM

Mig,

I never did see the movie. I really don't remember if it did well at the box office or not, but I didn't see it because I had heard it wasn't that good. (surprising because it had some good performers).

I learned yesterday listening to the news show about Sgt. Pepper, that "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite" lyrics was taken from a poster for some kind of circus or carnival. And, although I'm sure I knew this at the time, but Lucy in the Sky's drug reference was partly the anagram (LSD)

FWIW: The only song I can say I am not crazy about is "Good Morning".

Also, Sgt. Pepper song introduces "A Day In The Life" as well as being a single track. Everytime that played I never was sure if it was a Day In The Life or not. If I recall, the way I could tell is if the last line of SP was "Let me introduce to you the one and only Billy Shears (?). Or maybe it was the other way around.

TIS
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 01:58 PM

In the paper yesterday there was an article saying that there are only 6 people on the cover who are still alive!
I could'nt work it out!

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
In the paper yesterday there was an article saying that there are only 6 people on the cover who are still alive!
I could'nt work it out!

Hmm, interesting. I'd have to see a close-up of the cover to see if I could figure it out. I knew most of the people if I recall, but couldn't tell you what six are still alive. It'd be fun to check out again though. Other than the people mentioned in the article I posted, that refused and then decided to agree to be on the oover, werent' there a few that were asked and didn't appear? Seems funny that you'd need permission to have a picture on an album cover.

TIS

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 02:16 PM

I could'nt work it out!

1. Bob Dylan (top row)
2. Dion DiMucci (Dion & the Belmonts) (second row)
3. Tony Curtis (second row next to Dion)
4. Paul McCartney (front row)
5. Ringo Starr (front row)
6. Shirley Temple (front row)

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 02:23 PM

I could'nt work it out!

1. Bob Dylan (top row)

Geez SC!!!! Are you on top of it or what?? Do you have the album cover right next to you or something? I was searching for a big close-up to figure it out. You saved me the time. I wish I was as young and quick as you. ;\)

TIS

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 02:27 PM

Do you have the album cover right next to you or something? I was searching for a big close-up to figure it out.

Click on the link (below) and then click on the picture (when it opens) to magnify it.

ALBUM COVER

I wish I still had my album.... I gave it to my niece (when she was a little kid --- she LOVED the Beatles).

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 02:32 PM

Thanks SC! There are quite a few that I don't recognize. I thought I'd know more of them.

Among them, who's the guy with the shades and who's the one behind Ringo (partial view)?

TIS

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 02:46 PM

The guy with the shades is Terry Southern. The one behind Ringo is Johnny Weissmuller (Tarzan).

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 02:58 PM

Thanks SC! I don't know Terry Southern, but Johnny Weissmuller, I definitely know (my favorite Tarzan). Is the woman in the gown Marylin Monroe? Doesn't look like her if so.

Do you know all of them???? \:o

TIS
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 03:30 PM

I believe Marilyn's head shot is behind Johnny Weissmuller, no?? If so, then that can't be her in the gown.

Here's the list of who is on the cover. Album Cover Legend

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 03:41 PM

Cool Brando is on there.

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 03:49 PM

Cool Brando is on there.

That ain't Brando, silly, thats Turnbull!

TIS - The one in the gown is Diana Dors.... she was an English actress who was supposed to be like the British Marilyn Monroe.

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 03:55 PM

Cool Brando is on there.

That ain't Brando, silly, thats Turnbull!

My bad ;\)
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 07:17 PM

Tony Curtis is still alive?
I thought he had retoined to da land of ouah fodders... ;\)

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/02/07 09:23 PM

here's the antique circus poster that inspired john to write "being for the benefit of mr. kite!" (which was written solely on a piano, if you could believe that), for anyone interested...

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/03/07 02:02 AM

Nice find Cheeks Lombardi!! ;\) I see it's dated "1843?? \:o It's amazing where song writers find inspiration isn't it?

Another little known fact about Sgt. Pepper I just read. It was the first album to include printed song lyrics.

TIS
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/03/07 01:29 PM

Good story - had to go to Autozone yesterday, and my truck had the windows rolled down. There was an Edsel (classic) with its radio on, playing Within You Without You, and I turned my radio to the same station, and eventually the whole first row of cars at AZ had the same station on, blasting the song (and the rest of the album, which they were repeating throughout the day).

Fun times at Autozone.

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/03/07 09:09 PM

that's a great story, DJ - really illustrates the widespread, universal grip the beatles have had on popular culture's conscious since the 1960's.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/08/07 02:15 PM

I could'nt work it out!

1. Bob Dylan (top row)

Wow!
Well done SC.
Thanks
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/09/07 12:29 AM

[quote=The Italian Stallionette]Can you guys (well maybe you older guys & gals) believe it's been forty years today since Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band was released? \:o ....but my absolute favorite from the album and one of my all time favorite songs is "A Day In The Life". (and it's educational too,"now I know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall" \:D
[

TIS, we are NOT getting older...just wiser. I was graduating high skool in '67. I remember listening to the album at my girlfriends. Everyone thought it was definetly cool and drug induced "A Day in the Life" - a favorite for two reasons: 1. loved the haunting arrangement; 2. years later I almost did blow my mind out in a car, I didn't notice that the light had changed. Almost ate a garbage truck in a Volkswagen beetle. Still creeps me out thinking about it. And of course those holes in Albert Hall. I always thought the holes were in the acoustic tiles. It wasn't until a few years ago that I heard that they were referring to assholes filling the Albert Hall.
Posted By: DonVitoCorleone

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/09/07 12:44 AM

Probably my least favorite Beatles album.

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/10/07 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: DonVitoCorleone
Probably my least favorite Beatles album.

And probably the most profound of all the Beatle albums. It literally changed the course of rock music.

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/10/07 12:59 AM

[quote=MaryCas

"those holes in Albert Hall. I always thought the holes were in the acoustic tiles. It wasn't until a few years ago that I heard that they were referring to assholes filling the Albert Hall. [/quote]
Hu??? This is true???? To be totally honest I am not positive what type of facility the Albert Hall is, and thought more or less of the acoustic tiles as you did, but I certainly didn't think of it as holding assholes?

TIS
Posted By: Ice

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/10/07 01:41 AM

I didn't either, TIS.

It makes sense, though.

Re: Sgt. Pepper is 40!!! - 06/12/07 04:49 PM

[quote=MaryCas

"those holes in Albert Hall. I always thought the holes were in the acoustic tiles. It wasn't until a few years ago that I heard that they were referring to assholes filling the Albert Hall.

Hu??? This is true???? To be totally honest I am not positive what type of facility the Albert Hall is, and thought more or less of the acoustic tiles as you did, but I certainly didn't think of it as holding assholes?

TIS[/quote]

Hi TIS Sorry for the delay....yes, the "holes" refer to the posterior variety. I think it was an interview with Sir Paul.

Albert Hall is a gorgeous music hall - circular in design. I have a couple of great pics, but I do not have them with me, but I'm sure there is a website.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET