Home

Mother in Hospital!

Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Mother in Hospital! - 05/26/07 07:03 PM

It's been a hard couple of weeks for my poor Mother. After getting all uptight about the anniversary of my Dad's passing a fortnight ago she went and landed herself in hospital with pneumonia this week \:\(
She is back home now but her health worries me now!
She also suffers from diabetes and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease....
She says now that she will have to go into an Old Folks Home because she cannot look after herself any more \:\/
Being an only child can be very stressful sometimes...but all you can do is get on with it i guess!
I don't mind dealing with stress if it meant my Mothers health improved any....
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/26/07 07:10 PM

Yogi, I am so sorry to hear about your mother. It sounds like the two of you have a lovely relationship, and I'm sure that it's tough on you.

She may just be feeling down because she's ill, so there's a chance she'll recover and go back to her independent life. Please don't stress too much.

And know that my thoughts are with you!
Posted By: olivant

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/26/07 07:56 PM

Take care. Be positive.
Posted By: SC

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/26/07 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

She is back home now but her health worries me now!

I suspect that won't ever change (worrying about your mom).

Visit/call her when you can and listen patiently to her complain about whatever she wants....

Also, let her know that her son has friends who are praying for her. \:\)
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/26/07 09:05 PM

Sorry to hear that, Yogi - I hope she gets better soon!

My mom's had her fair share over the years (most recently this week, but luckily nothing too serious) between bypass surgery, knee replacements, stomach issues, etc. My folks are turning 78 this year and I can't help but worry... tho worrying never really helps anything I suppose, I just can't help it either. ;\)
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/26/07 10:42 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your mom Yogi. I know what you mean about always worrying. You don't have to be an only child to get stressed out an worry. \:\/ The older they get, and the more health issues they have the more we worry.

I pray your mom gets better. Surrounded by a loving family can be therapy in iself. My best to her and you.

TIS
Posted By: goombah

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/26/07 11:49 PM

Yogi

I know a bit of what you're going through - having lost my Dad and also being an only child. It is a tremendous worry about our Moms, no matter how what age they are.

You and your Mom are in my thoughts & prayers.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/27/07 01:24 AM

Sorry to hear about your mom, Yogi. I hope she's feeling better very soon. Hang in there, and take it a day at a time.
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/27/07 05:34 AM

I too worry about my mom constantly. I think it's times like these we can appreciate it more when they worried about us when we were young and we couldn't figure out why. All my best wishes for you Yogi.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/27/07 02:06 PM

Yogi -

I sincerely hope that your mom recovers and things work out for her.

I share your feelings about worrying and taking care of your mom.

I will keep her in my prayers. May God bless her and give you the strength that you will need to see her through these difficult times.

Please check your PM.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/27/07 02:37 PM

Yogi, it's always hard to watch someone you love suffering and declining. One of the most important things for you is to maintain your equilibrium by not taking everything on yourself. You and your mom need, and can get, help.
In America, many elderly people with health problems can still live in their homes with help from organizations known here as the Visiting Nurse Service or its equivalent (churches and other religious institutions also provide this kind of service). Our government-run health agencies, Medicare and Medicaid, can provide in-home assistance or other help. And many private agencies provide companions and home-health aides, too.
The reason I mention this is because I'm sure that the UK has all of these types of options, and probably more, since your health care system is more "socialized" than ours. Once you start the ball rolling, you'll start feeling that you're not taking the entire burden on your shoulders. And remember: you're not stopping your care and love for your mom--you're getting her the professional help she needs, which can free you to provide the emotional support and love that only you can give. \:\)
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/27/07 04:29 PM

I will keep you and your mom, as well as the rest of your family, in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there, pal.
Posted By: Don Sicilia

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/27/07 07:30 PM

I pray for the best for your mom and the rest of your family. Keep your head up!

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/29/07 01:27 PM

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts!
You are a good bunch of people on here without doubt.
Thanks again.
Yogi.

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/29/07 01:28 PM

Yogi, How is she doing? How are YOU doing? Are you hanging in there??
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/29/07 01:50 PM

Yogi,

I hope you're mom is feeling better. Please know that we are here for you if you need us. You will be thoughts and in my prayers.

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/29/07 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Yogi, How is she doing? How are YOU doing? Are you hanging in there??

Hey SB!
She is'nt to bad this week so far!
I am back at work on nights but my wife has been taking the kids over to see her because they are on half term holidays this week!
(She is a God-send my bride!)
I'm just taking it a day at a time. She has sunk into this depression about her health and her situation which breaks my heart to see \:\/
But like i said,one day at a time!
Thanks again for your concern and kind words!
I really,really appreciate it!

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/29/07 02:08 PM

Yogi, Don't be surprised by the depression. My mom went through the same thing a few years ago after open-heart surgery and it's not unusual. I'm sure that having your wife and kids come to see her makes her smile.

Hang in there. One day at a time is the ONLY way to do it.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/29/07 02:39 PM

Sorry i missed this thread.

Hope all is well and your mum gets better..
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/29/07 02:47 PM

Yogi,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad she is at least holding her own and has family around her.

You are so right to take it one day at a time. I've found, through experience, that if you look at long term (what's gonna happen? What will I do? What if this or that?) you'll drive yourself crazy. The only way to do it IS one day at a time. We don't know what the future will bring, but by not overwhelming yourself with what will happen long term and taking it by the day, makes it perhaps a little easier. \:\/

My prayers are with you.

TIS
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/31/07 03:07 PM

My mother's mother passed away very suddenly in 2001, not long after 9/11. I don't think my mother's been the same since. My father's mother is showing signs of dementia, and it's causing all sorts of anxieties for my dad. Like everyone else here, I realise the extent to which we all care for our parents in one way or another.

A parent in ill health causes much distress. Needless to say, my thoughts are with you, Yogi.

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/31/07 03:23 PM

Thanks Capo (and TIS and De Niro and all the others).
She is a little better the last 2 days or so...
Starting to get a bit cranky,which is a good sign ;\)
Thanks again.

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/31/07 04:11 PM

Yogi,

I am so glad you're mom is feeling better. Tell her she has alot of people praying for her. Please keep us updated on how she is doing.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/31/07 09:47 PM

Haha, cranky is the sign of someone getting better.
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/31/07 09:57 PM

Sorry for not offering my condolences earlier, I some how over looked this thread. But, that aside, you really do have my condolences now.

My mom had pneumonia last year... Around January/February of 2006. She spent, I believe, three or four days in the hospital... Although, it was no where near as serious, as it sounds, just because she doesn't have any other real health concerns, and (as I'd assume) is much younger than your own mother.
Posted By: Anthony Lombardi

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 05/31/07 10:18 PM

i hope your mother is on the path to a speedy recovery, yogi - good luck, & my thoughts & condolences are with you.
Posted By: Obsessed With The GodFather

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 06/02/07 02:45 AM

Sending prayers your way!
Keep The Faith!
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 06/02/07 05:47 PM

All the best to you Yogi and your family and in your situation.

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 06/04/07 06:06 PM

Mother seems a little better this week!
She goes back into Hospital on thursday for some tests so we will see where we go from there i suppose.
Keeping our fingers crossed for some better news!
Posted By: svsg

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 06/04/07 06:08 PM

Good luck Yogi!

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 06/04/07 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: svsg
Good luck Yogi!

Thanks!
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 06/04/07 06:24 PM

Hope the test goes well...

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 06/05/07 01:44 AM

So sorry that this is continuing. Hope you get good news on Thursday. You and your mother will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 06/05/07 01:02 PM

Best wishes for good news.

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 06/08/07 02:12 PM

Well it was good and bad really!
She has recovered from her bout of pneumonia but still has a lot of fluid in her lungs which together with her COPD could lead to further chest infections which she finds harder to fight off now!
The doctors want to monitor her every month now instead of every 3 months so if any problems do occur they can head them off at the pass as it were...
Her diabetes is getting worse,causing problems in her eyes and feet. Here however she does herself no favours \:\/
She is supposed to follow a strict diet but she shovels down cream cakes and sweet stuff like a greedy child!
Her mood has improved though - she only yelled at me twice yesterday - so it is'nt all bad(just mostly)
I am just glad she got over the pneumonia!
That was the big worry. Now we are just back to where we were a few weeks back.
One day at a time!

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 06/08/07 02:29 PM

Thanks for the update yogi. My prayers will continue for you're mom and for you also. Keep you're chin up.
Posted By: svsg

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 06/08/07 03:44 PM

Great, better than before \:\)

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 06/08/07 05:46 PM

Yogi, Just take it one step at a time. At least the pneumonia is cleared up. My mother-in-law developed pneumonia right after New Year's, and her last CAT scan about a month ago showed that there was STILL fluid in the lungs, although the pneumonia is cleared.

It takes patience. As we get older, we tend to revert a bit, so just hang in there, and know that my thoughts are with you.

Re: Mother in Hospital! - 06/08/07 06:28 PM

We're still thinking about you, buddy. \:\) Glad to hear things are heading in the right direction.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET